Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

S02.E04: Family Ties

Michael introduces Angela to his Nigerian mom; tension follows Darcey and Jesse to Connecticut; Rachel meets Jon's skeptical sister; Paul and Karine butt heads; and Tarik has quite the religious experience with Hazel's folks.

"It's embarrassing because she's fat"

Woah there, Micheal....woah dere. Tell us how you really feel. 

And then he says he didn't mean it like that, okay but how did you mean it? lol. I guess there's something to be said about being blunt and honest with your words but I don't think that Angela was prepared for all this honesty coming from him. This show is the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by rideashire
  • Like 18

I have no hope any of these couples can make it. They're all so mismatched.

Tarik, you chubby fool. Hazel sees you as a way out of poverty. Nothing more.

• Like 18

Five hours later, cut to Tarik, eyes glazed over, pondering the life choices that lead him to that church.

He's in this 100% if he stuck around that long. 

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I don't get Angela's problem with the clothes.  Nigerian clothes can hide a lot if you're self-conscious about your body.  Meanwhile, she's walking around in spaghetti straps.

And her industrial bra showing. 

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

I don't get Angela's problem with the clothes.  Nigerian clothes can hide a lot if you're self-conscious about your body.  Meanwhile, she's walking around in spaghetti straps.

I think it’s that they were unfamiliar and she would have to try them on around people she didn’t know. She doesn’t know the sizing structure, if they carried her size or would have to make one for her custom- she would probably be embarrassed if they combined two dresses to make one for her (I don’t agree but I can see how she feels that way). This is a woman that lives in leggings and big oversized tops. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

And her industrial bra showing. 

I noticed she had it on after the first night they were together. Boom boom boom 3 times and she managed to keep her bra on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Michael didn’t mean that HE was embarrassed but that Angela was self conscious to try on clothes because of her weight- which is what she told him. Now his tact in saying that to the sales woman wasn’t the best but he wasn’t being insulting IMO. 

I don't think he meant to offend her, I was just amused he came right out and said fat. The tact is not really there at all, but it's probably better she learn that now.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, MrHufflepuff said:

That's exactly it. She rather walk around showing it off than covering it up

• Like 10

Just now, BradandJanet said:

There are cultural differences about directness. I don't think he meant to be insulting, but it hurt her feelings.

I agree.  This is one actual challenge of marrying someone from another country.  What I originally thought this show was going to be about, not all these crazy situations.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

There are cultural differences about directness. I don't think he meant to be insulting, but it hurt her feelings.

Hmm... maybe they should use a translator app.

Speaking of clothes... Jesse wearing white jeans with knee-holes and a white shirt.  Gah!  Who dresses like that?

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

Rachel and Jon seem too normal for this show.  I almost get the feeling that a lot of their "discussions" are producer-driven to give them some kind of controversy.

Yes. If anything there might be something in Jon’s past (like his fight while he was in University) that would prevent him from being able to move forward with Rachel. Or Lucy’s bio dad will show back up. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Angela has a big personality and a seemingly big heart.  I honestly believe she was grumpy because she was going through nicotine withdrawal.  

Jon is clearly not as enamored with Rachel as she is with him.  If he isn't feeling her, it would probably be best if he pulls the plug now before Lucy gets attached.  

I think Tarik is starting to realize that Hazel is only using him for a way out.  

Paul is really slow.  I can't believe he doesn't see that something is off with Karine.  She is puffy, "lazy" and doesn't seem to have a lot of energy.  Gee, I wonder why.  

But wants to have a baby that will need 24/7 attention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iwasish said:

But wants to have a baby that will need 24/7 attention.

That baby has a job: seal the deal with Pole & get Kreeny a ticket to the US.

• Like 20

Jesse and Darcy are just ... ugh. Does she really think this is how relationships work? She can't really be groveling just for the cameras, can she? It's really her being honestly pathetic? "Apologies for the shouting" to the waitress. Fighting over elbow room in the back seat of the car. Jesse's constant scolding ("My ears!" "I was still talking.") Sad.

I did enjoy Carlos laughing in Ricky's face via Facetime.

And Jon's sister announcing, "He just dropped the baby."

AH! Angela's hair is hanging on the wall in the preview!!!!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That baby has a job: seal the deal with Pole & get Kreeny a ticket to the US.

Anchor baby. Maybe dual US citizenship? 

A baby rarely improves a relationship and commitment. Just masks the issues for a bit. But they are still there.

i am still watching the sho. Got home later Han expected from a family function.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Lol at the full shopping cart of cleaning supplies, how many cleaning supplies does one need?

This is neurotic, germaphobe Pole. There aren't enough cleaning supplies in all of Brazil for that freak to feel safe.

• Like 24

32 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

Michael introduces Angela to his Nigerian mom?  As opposed to his other mothers?  

I don't think it's a big deal that Michael said Angela was fat.  He was explaining why she didn't want to try on the dress.  She was using euphemisms like "I'm big" which is the American way, but in other places they just use fat as the descriptor.  It's not meant necessarily as an insult.  I remember tutoring a Hungarian woman when I lived in Hungary and she thought it was strange when a previous English teacher had told her not to describe someone herself as fat.  She thought that was the best way, because she was trying to describe herself for someone who would be meeting her somewhere and she wanted them to be able to find her.

Ricky, you should have gone to meet Hazel instead.  If you promised to bring her and her son to the US, she probably would have accepted your proposal.  Speaking of Ricky, every time someone asks him how it went with Melissa, he mentions her looks several times and then maybe throws in one other descriptor.  He know nothing about her, except for how she looks, but he's convinced he's in love and wants to marry her.  I think I know why he's already had two divorces.  And now is he planning to meet another woman?  Is this his back-up dream woman?

Tarik, if religion is an issue, you need to discuss it before you plan the wedding.  Maybe that's why you should have more than a two week text only courtship before deciding to marry someone.

Paul and Karinne - yes a baby will solve all your problems. Maybe they can each teach the baby their language and then once the kids is old enough he/she can translate for them?

Darcey and Jesse are just awful to watch.

Rachel and Jon seem too normal for this show.  I almost get the feeling that a lot of their "discussions" are producer-driven to give them some kind of controversy.

Whole lotta truth in this post.  Pole and Krinny using the baby to translate is too funny.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Even if he did call her fat, Grangela had no excuse for hitting him in the face!

That won't go over well with Michael, his friends, or mom. Angela is not as submissive to her man as the culture requires.

• Like 10

I'm guessing that most of Darcey's relationships are dysfunctional.

Ricky is pathetic. Who really thinks that camo is a good idea when traveling abroad?

Tarik is a fool. I feel sorry for Hazel, though. She is beautiful -- Tarik was really the best she could get?

Angela is fascinating and I can't look away. Jet lag, nicotine withdrawal, the heat and the stress of the situation probably contributed to her mini breakdown.

Paul and Karine are doomed.

• Like 21

I believe all the drama between Darcey and Jesse is manufactured.  Grown folks just don't behave like that, especially in public.  Based on their looks, Stacie appears to be the before plastic surgery picture and Darcey is the after.  As a pizza connoisseur, Patrick Dempsey, Jon Hamm and/or Kyle Chandler couldn't drag me away from that hot, delicious pie, let alone the likes of Jesse.  

• Like 15

Angela is fat. It's math. I'm fat too. Deal with it. She is ridiculous.

Darcey wants a drink. She had such a longing look On her face when the waitress asked about drinks. I don't think that she is a full blown alcoholic but she's sober like Ben Affleck and Countless Luanne are.which is placating other people. 

• Like 12

What's up with Lucy's forehead?  Did Jon drop her on her face?

Jon's Sister is a bitch.

Edited by Honey
  • Like 1

Was Pole trolling the audience or Karine’s parents wearing the shirt that said “Guilty” on the front. I’d say yes but he’s far too stupid to come up with that. And how in the hell is he affording to live in Brazil for 90 days?  Granted it ain’t the Taj Mahal they’re living in, but all those cleaning supplies ain’t cheap. 

And the people that check the marriage license paperwork to ensure it’s in order also rent out reception halls?  That’s  bleeping brilliant!

• Like 17

Emoji stuffies-check, mosquito net-check, sex toys found by mom as she’s trying to put a tangle of her hair in your luggage (TM to whoever said that earlier-hilarious)-check, pregnancy test IN ENGLISH...FAIL

Edited by For Cereals
  • Like 12

Well, Mother Pole possesses some sort of brain, asking Pole about what is going on and maybe trying to get the gears between his ears working. She's right, Pole and Karine communicate via an App, he barely knows her, he doesn't have a job, he can't possibly support himself, Karine, and a baby. For Pole, the red flag should have gone up when Karine out of nowhere wants a baby. Uh, she's probably 3-4 months along already. She is not the fresh flower she was last season. She looks much older, dirty, haggard, puffy, etc. What happened? And in a real rush to solidify the 'commitment' by having a baby. Pole, start the arithmetic skills. Maybe add a calculator App to your phone.

Tarik - you fool. You met the woman online what was seemingly a few weeks ago. Her parents already pressuring for a proposal? Hazel does need to tell him about her child - as he has a right to know. He's been in the country for 24 hours and the parents expected an engagement? Hazel is upset that he has an ex in Thailand? I'd be asking him why he seeks relationships with Asian women instead of women back home in the US? The parents inviting him to 'church' was a bit much. I guess he was expecting some sort of hour long Catholic service and not what he experienced - and for five hours of it? I'd have walked out.  No Hazel's parents, he is not likely to become the evangelical or cultish type that your 'religion' is.

Grangela - you may wish to put the ring at the pawn shop back on the market. Michael has a few relationship dealbreakers. No he does not like your habit. You're being big/fat may not be forever. But your addictions ain't easy to quit. Surely the dressmaker at the market could discreetly find her a nice dress. The whole picture on the phone thing screams a bit odd but who knows.

Ricky you deluded idiot. Are you seriously expecting the prized Melissa to show up the next day? She saw you, cut her loss. Stop sending her money. Spend some time on the beach, do some sightseeing and suck up the non-existent relationship and move on. You may be naïve and an idiot, but she owes you nothing. Did she agree to your coming to visit? Probably not. The beautiful woman you want may not want you. You should recognize the relationship red flags and run.

I find it surprising that Jon has apparently had many, many relationships. His sister came off as a bit much. He barely knows Rachel, is not hugely attracted to her or wants to spend a lot of time with her. Rachel is also in it for the fantasy of having a man who has been a rock for her online and who for unknown reasons pays for her baby's daycare. Are they willing to make a life with each other? He is uncertain that he wants to be a 'dad' and who can blame him? Rachel could still put on some better clothes - nothing expensive - but nothing ratty. No idea what both of them have to bring to any relationship right now. Rachel wants a daddy, Jon wants what exactly? Being a parent is a 24/7 job and he probably is freaking out at that sort of responsibility.

I do find it odd that if their 'story' was filmed in December, that there aren't any holiday decorations around.

Darcey and Jesse, I just can't. Don't know if they are in it for publicity for whatever they are shilling, or what.  Jesse is smug and arrogant. Always looking for something to fix in Darcey. Dude, she isn't going to change because you want her to. Whatever work she does on herself will never be enough for you. You dressed like a slob to go to that nice restaurant. You also vacillate between being verbally and emotionally abusive and making whatever grand romantic gesture. Maybe her twin wants you - she certainly is much calmer and probably is better at playing your game. Perhaps you need to explain transactional analysis to Darcey and the roles of parent, child, and adult. Far too much time spent triggering the other. Go back home to Amsterdam.

• Like 13