Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: The Worms Crawl In, the Worms Crawl Out

Holmes and Watson investigate multiple motives for murder when a zoologist is killed because of his numerous love affairs or his trailblazing research. Holmes finds himself the victim of identity theft after his medical records are stolen.

Promo:

Original airdate: 8/20/18

I don't know why they don't just get a spider, lay it on the person's chest before they go to sleep and when they wake up in the morning they would be completely wrapped in a cocoon. This way they would have complete body armor that is a custom fit. Scientists always seem to overthink their problems.

• Love 9

My favorite line was Bell's, who said that shooting a dummy at close range was cheating. In response to Holmes reminded him he was doing this to solve a crime, Bell replied "Don't worry. I am not throwing away my shot", a clear reference to Broadway's HAMILTON.

Cast of HAMILTON  at the White House singing "I am Not Throwing Away My Shot"

• Love 12

I want that hoodie so bad. Grumble. I'm a bit miffed that Michael returns next episode --I don't like where that may head.

Agree. I loved the way Sherlock treated the erstatz Holmes - let him be, warning him to find a new identity for his own sake. Hated that he brought back Michael. I dislike the Michael storyline almost as much as I do Joan's yearning for a child.

I want the hoodie, too. Does it come in black?

• Love 9

Worm poop fertilizer is a real thing. I was following the plot up until the very end, where it doubled back on itself one too many times. Now how many geneticists will start trying to splice spider genes with silkworms?

It's too much to hope Michael will choose the wrong victim, get himself killed and this whole thing will end with Sherlock identifying the body.

Joan is so blase about Sherlock's peculiarities at this point "Speaking of sex partners..."

• Love 4

I'm kind of curious if Sherlock's theory about a criminal painting himself and hiding in plain sight in the opening act case, ended up being true!

A lot of twist and turns in this one, but the professor/victim's lover automatically made my spider (sorry) sense tingle, so I wasn't surprised how it played out.  As crazy as everything was though, I totally believe that battles in academia can be that cutthroat and bloody!

Cool that Jon Michael Hill directed this one.  I guess it's Clyde's turn next!

So, it looks like Michael is finally coming back to play.

• Love 7

This is the only show I watch where gratuitous shirtlessness isn't really played for sex appeal. At least, I didn't take Sherlock's shirtlessness as an attempt in that direction.

I do love how matter of fact Joan is now, about whatever he cooks up.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Athena said:

I am only glad that Michael is coming back so that Sherlock and Joan can defeat him. Then we can all move to other storylines.

I would be happier if they gave him an off camera death like Mycroft!

I really want to know how the writers paced out this season and when they knew they got extra episodes and if they had a heads up that there was a possibility they would be renewed before they finished filming.

• Love 4

So, I'm not the only person that yelled, "Hey it's Deacon!" when Victor Williams showed up on screen?

He was Doug's best friend on King Of Queens for those that don't know.

11 hours ago, rhys said:

I want that hoodie so bad. Grumble. I'm a bit miffed that Michael returns next episode --I don't like where that may head.

Not going to lie, I totally forget about him and it took me a minute to remember who they were talking about.

• Love 4

This one was a little convoluted for my tastes. I found it hard to follow, and when that happens my mind starts to wander and then I lose track even more. That's been a consistent problem for me this season with few exceptions.

One thing I want to note, is that in the opening scene Sherlock has three little space heaters plugged in around him. The last time I did that I blew a fuse. Those things suck up electricity like you wouldn't believe, if more than one is on the same circuit your lights are going out pronto.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

One thing I want to note, is that in the opening scene Sherlock has three little space heaters plugged in around him. The last time I did that I blew a fuse. Those things suck up electricity like you wouldn't believe, if more than one is on the same circuit your lights are going out pronto.

Is Sherlock's Brownstone wired more like a house or an apartment building? That might make a difference.

• Love 1

Michael the serial killer returns! Gasp! Guess we need to start tying this millions of disparate plot threads together at some point!

Lots of twists and turns this week, although mostly concerned with the same basically field. It is kind of hilarious how this guy survived one murder attempt, only to get murdered by a totally different person for a totally unrelated reason just moments later. Doctor worm really needed to rethink his life choices. Another episode where almost 

I love learning new things in this show, and finding these new subcultures and fields of research. Academia is intense! And sexy! 

Ever since Sherlock made up with Moreland, he is really feeling more up for using the Holmes name, with its money and connections, more often. I also really liked how Sherlock handled the guy from Northern Ireland who was using his name. he clearly didnt want to bust the guy, who didnt seem to be any real threat to anyone, he just wanted to know what was up, then warned him away from possible trouble with his name. 

• Love 4

Another stellar show this season. The premise of the worms for lightweight body armor in itself is off the wall but the writer and director JMH's directing made it work for me.

Bringing back Michael is a downer for me. Sorta like the Shinwell of season 5. Oh well I DVR it so if needed I can FF through all of that part of the storylines.

• Love 3

I liked that the suspect was identified early, and that it just took a lot of circling to get back to her.  I didn't recognize her from Alphas either, but then it's a very different part.

It is beyond me how anyone could be romantic in a room full of spider cages.

I liked how the scene at the beginning of the episode with the paint test unfolded.  I expected more women to appear out of the background after the set up with the first two.

I'm not too bothered by the return of Michael.  I was glad that they put him in the background for most of the season.  I feared initially that he'd be hanging around constantly, but he has happily stayed away until this point.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know why they don't just get a spider, lay it on the person's chest before they go to sleep and when they wake up in the morning they would be completely wrapped in a cocoon. This way they would have complete body armor that is a custom fit. Scientists always seem to overthink their problems.

Lol, there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I would ever let a spider sit on me for longer than 1 second. 

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

This is the only show I watch where gratuitous shirtlessness isn't really played for sex appeal. At least, I didn't take Sherlock's shirtlessness as an attempt in that direction.

But, we're not complaining right?  ;-)

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If the plugs were on separate breakers,  then it would be ok. Otherwise, yes they would trip the breaker. That's why kitchens have to have each plug on a separate breaker now which is good as anyone who has tried to microwave and make toast at the same time can attest to.

• Love 2

I hope that Sherlock funded Sepi's operation under new management—probably not the Orb-Lite folks who gave him 6 months of their precious product (in hope of Holmes funding) since they seemed too inept.

Oddly, the IMDb page is showing the title for this episode as "The Geek Interpreter" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8021088/ ) even though I searched the title of "The Worms Crawl in, the Worms Crawl Out" as the title.

22 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They would first need to genetically enhance the spider (and feed it a lot) so it could make an entire custom cocoon. But once that's solved, if this were a scifi story, perhaps the spider would develop mate-like feelings for the cocoon subject, and then perhaps make an airtight cocoon to kill the person because of his or her lack of reciprocation. Or maybe this now sentient spider would resent toiling for human financial gain, and that would motivate it to kill. In the end the humans and spiders would sign a peace treaty cementing their symbiotic relationship.

This week I managed to remember to record the show to watch later (since I've been falling asleep during the hour it airs), and for once I was able to follow the plot twists.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

They would first need to genetically enhance the spider (and feed it a lot) so it could make an entire custom cocoon. But once that's solved, if this were a scifi story, perhaps the spider would develop mate-like feelings for the cocoon subject, and then perhaps make an airtight cocoon to kill the person because of his or her lack of reciprocation. Or maybe this now sentient spider would resent toiling for human financial gain, and that would motivate it to kill. In the end the humans and spiders would sign a peace treaty cementing their symbiotic relationship.

Wow, you have quite the imagination and I mean this most sincerely. 

Edited by AEMom
  • Love 1

Is Sherlock's Brownstone wired more like a house or an apartment building? That might make a difference.

Brownstones are houses. Each brownstone has its own separate feed from the street. That said, brownstones were built primarily around the beginning (and earlier) of the previous century, so many have outdated wiring. I'm guessing that Sherlock, with his dozen or so TVs and other electrical gadgets, has upgraded his wiring seriously.

Edited by basil
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, johntfs said:

Though I sort of knew her name, I completely failed to recognize Azita Ghanizada as Rachel from Alphas.

I was the opposite — I didn’t recognize the name, but I knew her face from Alphas immediately (I miss that show), so I expected her to be the killer. It was nice to see her again.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AEMom said:

Wow, you have quite the imagination and I mean this most sincerely. 

Thanks, but I'm really just good at repurposing plot points from various books, shows, etc. that I've had the benefit of a long life to absorb. ☺️

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, kickingnames said:

I was the opposite — I didn’t recognize the name, but I knew her face from Alphas immediately (I miss that show), so I expected her to be the killer. It was nice to see her again.

I admit that I didn't expect her to be the killer.  I really expected her to hook up with Sherlock at some point.

Ha, the Hamilton shout out cracked me up!

When spider science lady said that a few spiders escaped so they upgraded the security, I was like uhh, okay, so the locks on each cage are to prevent the spiders from using their super strength to push the doors open?

• Love 8
6 hours ago, kickingnames said:

WOW. I'm impressed that a lot of people who comment on here know all these characters from other TV shows. Me, I've never heard of the show Alphas. I've watched only four shows the past 5-6 years, Justified, The Closer, Major Crimes and Elementary so my knowledge of various TV actors is quite limited.

• Love 1

I thought I'd seen the killer before. I'm surprised so many people remember Alphas, much less who was on it. Then again, I doubt I watched more than two or three episodes.  I'm ashamed I didn't recognize king of Queens' Deacon, though. That show ran forever.

Edited by 7-Zark-7

I'm guessing that Sherlock, with his dozen or so TVs and other electrical gadgets, has upgraded his wiring seriously.

That's probably true, although I didn't see any extension cords to indicate the space heaters were using outlets from different rooms, but whatever. I just got a kick out of it because of my own (fairly recent) experience where I was trying to heat a room in the winter when the furnace went out. Only took about 2 minutes for the fuse to blow.

I think I should probably just watch this show a day later rather than watch it live. I think part of the problem I have following it sometimes is because it's on late, and by the time it airs I'm already getting tired. I can basically do about 2 hours of TV before my attention starts to wander.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:35 PM, basil said:

My favorite line was Bell's, who said that shooting a dummy at close range was cheating. In response to Holmes reminded him he was doing this to solve a crime, Bell replied "Don't worry. I am not throwing away my shot", a clear reference to Broadway's HAMILTON.

I wanna say this is the third or fourth Hamilton  reference on Elementary? I know I've noticed them before, although I can't remember anymore if they were all Bell. But if they were, at this point I'm choosing to recognize it as established character trait: Marcus is a Hamilton nerd. I like this.

• Love 4

For once I managed to follow a convoluted plot, yay me! Not feeling so enthusiastic about Michael's return or that top Watson was wearing in the last scene. Also: not going to click on any links in this thread.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

That theoretical spider could have completely wrapped someone overnight if it was Shelob. Otherwise, I don't think so. Then there's this guy.

I merely hovered over your link and when I saw the description, I knew that there was no way that I should ever click on it.  I would probably not be able to sleep tonight.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AEMom said:

I merely hovered over your link and when I saw the description, I knew that there was no way that I should ever click on it.  I would probably not be able to sleep tonight.

—which is why it's so nice that the gene splicing resulted in silk worms spinning cocoons with Spidey strength filaments, rather than the other way around (scary spiders spinning cocoons from which even scarier spiders would emerge ? )

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
On 8/20/2018 at 10:35 PM, basil said:

Cast of HAMILTON  at the White House singing "I am Not Throwing Away My Shot"

It was hard to miss, and it made me smile.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:48 AM, johntfs said:

Though I sort of knew her name, I completely failed to recognize Azita Ghanizada as Rachel from Alphas.

I knew she looked familiar, but didn't know where I'd seen her - thanks!

On 8/22/2018 at 2:46 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, the Hamilton shout out cracked me up!

When spider science lady said that a few spiders escaped so they upgraded the security, I was like uhh, okay, so the locks on each cage are to prevent the spiders from using their super strength to push the doors open?

Yeah, that was a weird choice. Maybe they're just super difficult locks, so that they'd be hard to open for someone without the key (or whatever tech they use).

• Love 1