Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: Live Quarter Finals 1

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I know out of this post all our votes put together aren't going to effect the outcome but how can some of you give a fair assessment if you are fast forwarding through a bunch of the acts.

Pretty easy. For the singers, I'll just hear a few bars and move along. There are a thousand singing shows out there, go on them. For the rest of the acts I'll just fast forward all of their intro sob stories. Play the act and and as long as it isn't completely boring I can make it through those long 90 seconds. Then will usually skip the judges comments unless I really want to hear what they have to say because the act was so good or so bad. 

All in, a 2 hour AGT episode is under 30 minutes. The 1 hour results is 5 minutes.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I know out of this post all our votes put together aren't going to effect the outcome but how can some of you give a fair assessment if you are fast forwarding through a bunch of the acts.

Since entertainment is so subjective I think it’s fair to say that the fact that I’m fast-forwarding through an act says everything about how I feel about that act. If the performer can’t hold my attention for one and a half or two minutes, it’s pretty safe to say I don’t think they’re headliner material, or I’m just tired of the heavily-pimped acts. If I sit through the whole thing (minus the intro package and judges’ comments), it means they held my interest. 

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Amanda Mena - (Mel's Golden Buzzer) - Her singing sounded off, to me. I don't think the performance was that strong. Even Simon thought she wasn't ready to go it alone. 

I found it odd that people seemed to take this comment as an insult. Look what he did with One Direction and (to a somewhat less successful extent, since they never really took off in the States) Little Mix. Little Mix especially are four women who are fine on their own but absolute magic when you put them together. I could take or leave or Amanda by herself but I think if you could find the right three or four other girls she could really make a go of it in a group.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

I found it odd that people seemed to take this comment as an insult. Look what he did with One Direction and (to a somewhat less successful extent, since they never really took off in the States) Little Mix. Little Mix especially are four women who are fine on their own but absolute magic when you put them together. I could take or leave or Amanda by herself but I think if you could find the right three or four other girls she could really make a go of it in a group.

This is another reason I think Amanda Mena would have more of a future versus Courtney.  Amanda could do solo singing or be part of a group, do duets, whatever she wants, as she hasn't pigeonholed herself into one type of act.

• Love 3

Yeah, I know Courtney is derivative, and her persona is manufactured (whose isn’t on these shows?), but I get a kick out of her (no pun intended).  Not seeing the Joplin comparisons - all I can think is, moves like Jagger!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

Yeah, I know Courtney is derivative, and her persona is manufactured (whose isn’t on these shows?), but I get a kick out of her (no pun intended).  Not seeing the Joplin comparisons - all I can think is, moves like Jagger!

I will say she is intriguing to me.  I don't think she should be the winner though.  She definitely channeled her inner Janis Joplin in her first AGT appearance this season, and Howie commented on her being like Janis.  In her intro package it shows her coming home going into her bedroom, selecting a vinyl record (yeah, vinyl and a turntable) and it's "Cry Baby" by Janis Joplin.

When she bugs her eyes out it king of looks Joe Cockerish.  Her dance moves in "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" are reminiscent of Mick Jagger.

I don't hate her, but I don't think her act is worthy of the million dollar win and I find the pretend shy story to be off-putting.

Celtic:  Oh my Lord, she is horrible...I'm sorry, but she makes me gag.....I love Amanda....she has perfect pipes, but for me it is Shin Lin. The man is flawless. Scary flawless. Hubba! (oh yeah, he is really nice to look at)

• Love 3

I finally caught this episode on last night's rerun.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:12 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

I don't hate her, but I don't think her act is worthy of the million dollar win and I find the pretend shy story to be off-putting.

If she hadn't done the fakety fake "I'm so shy I can barely live" act, I would like her. She is interesting, even if her "singing" is questionable, alternating between some sort of song and screaming. Heck, I can scream but I don't feel it's worthy of being on AGT. I did SORT OF enjoy her act, but that "shy" business makes me dislike her so strongly, I would never vote for her. If she had played it straight as a Joplin fan, I'd be all about her. As is, no. Never.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, atlantaloves said:

but for me it is Shin Lin. The man is flawless. Scary flawless. Hubba! (oh yeah, he is really nice to look at)

A zillion times YES to this. He is fabulous in every way. If the circus cats can't win it, Shin Lim for the win.

The diabolo (how do you spell that) was overwhelmed by the WAY OTT background graphics. WTH show, you ruined his act.

I thought the trailer-park comedian was amusing, maybe not LOL funny, but I liked some of her jokes. Funniest was Simon saying he has had a trailer-park romance. She could have used the word "nasty" about 100 times less though, that was sort of cringe worthy. But I hope she gets some work from appearing on this show.

The high-heel dance group was pretty good. Maybe they'll make it to World of Dance next year.

The high-school dance group on the other hand ... WTH was THAT cluster? Whomever said their little kid would be in a dance recital like that was spot on. It was the worst and I barely made it through the two minutes or however long it was. It seemed like it lasted five hours, I wanted to stab my eyes out.

The the escape guy was another WTH moment. Wasn't the woman in a metal cage with a floor/metal bars for a floor? Those rattlesnakes would be smashed flat if she went all the way into their enclosure. Plus his getting the fake locked fake padlock unlocked was too fake for me.

I forgot all about the spitting boys because I refuse to watch them. I saw them the first time and will never let them invade my eyeballs again.

I watched the results show but don't remember who made it and who didn't. Not that it matters I guess.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2