Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Unexpected/ S08.E04: Jinger and Jermey's Little Secret

ginger90
  • Start Topic

On 8/13/2018 at 9:56 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Oh my god fucking help her out of the boat, you asshole.

I really don't think Austin likes Joy. It's sad. 

are you supposed to go ice fishing in a boat?

On 8/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, cereality said:

Why is it necessary that the moment they start courting, their intended bride has to do their grooming? You need a beard trim – go to a barber.  They’ve probably done it before and use trimmers rather using a comb to hold the hairs on his face and then apply scissors directly to the face – wtf!?

He and Lauren – IDK – the amount of nervous chatter from him suggests to me he is REALLY trying to convince himself this marriage is a good thing.

there was a whole lot of TOUCHING , close contact, and handsey in that barbering scene... I thought it was completely hands off..

And where did all of these beards come from? I thought there "rules" was a man was supposed to be clean shaven...

• Love 3

Ice fishing I know nothing about, except from watching Grumpy Old Men (loved that movie.)  They had little ice shacks and I think it was filmed in MN.

Austrils is bossy and seems to be an absolute "my way or the highway" kind of person.  I don't think Joy's feelings matter to him.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2018 at 8:49 AM, Nysha said:

I agree that the disclosure about Josh's behavior severally unhinged Michelle. I also think she is on a pretty high dose of antidepressants.

For the heck of it I googled high number of births and dementia and its a thing!  There are reports that if one gives birth to 5 or more kids they have a 70% higher chance of having alzheimers:

Women who have given birth five or more times may be 70% more likely to develop Alzheimer's later in life than those who have fewer births, according to a new study of more than 3,500 women in South Korea and Greece. Even women without dementia who had given birth five or more times scored lower on a commonly used cognitive test than those with fewer children.

She is almost 4 times that.  Who knows though.  She has always been loopy.  

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

For the heck of it I googled high number of births and dementia and its a thing!  There are reports that if one gives birth to 5 or more kids they have a 70% higher chance of having alzheimers:

Women who have given birth five or more times may be 70% more likely to develop Alzheimer's later in life than those who have fewer births, according to a new study of more than 3,500 women in South Korea and Greece. Even women without dementia who had given birth five or more times scored lower on a commonly used cognitive test than those with fewer children.

That makes me glad I only had one child.  I'm sad that I won't be a grandma (daughter and husband aren't having any) but it's their decision.

I had never heard a connection between Alzheimer's and number of births.  I remember years ago hearing that having at least one child made breast cancer less likely.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My mother only had me and she now sits in a nursing home with dementia. My ex-MIL had two and she sits in the same home at the same table as my mom. 

That's sad.  My mother died in her late 70's, mother-in-law in her mid 80's.  It could be that one or both would have developed dementia, had they lived longer.

I guess if it's in one's genes, it happens at some point.  We can't change our family history (if only.)

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

That makes me glad I only had one child.  I'm sad that I won't be a grandma (daughter and husband aren't having any) but it's their decision.

I had never heard a connection between Alzheimer's and number of births.  I remember years ago hearing that having at least one child made breast cancer less likely.  

I hadn't heard of it either so was shocked something came up when I googled!  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, queenanne said:

So in other words, having lots of children can literally make some women lose their minds??

Or, having more kids than you have fingers on both hands sometimes means you already have lost your mind.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, queenanne said:

So in other words, having lots of children can literally make some women lose their minds??

Or perhaps the hormonal rollercoaster of so many pregnancies, combined with the psychological stressors of parenting that many kids increases your chances of dementia. Granted many people get dementia in their later years, but there may be a higher incidence among women who have 10+ kids. 

• Love 5

My mother in law had seven kids and developed dementia when she was around 78. I'm an only child (though my mom did have two pregnancies, one with twins, but went into very premature labor with both), and she is still as sharp as a tack at 84.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

That's sad.  My mother died in her late 70's, mother-in-law in her mid 80's.  It could be that one or both would have developed dementia, had they lived longer.

I guess if it's in one's genes, it happens at some point.  We can't change our family history (if only.)

I guess it is. I think we might not have seen it as much back when life expectancy was lower. With people easily living until their 80s we see it more. My mother's sister had it but she died fairly young. She overdosed on aspirin. She would forget she took it. The family watched her like a hawk but she got to it.  

18 hours ago, EVS said:

Constantly being joyfully available to JimBoob would definitely make me lose my mind. 

And my lunch. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Or perhaps the hormonal rollercoaster of so many pregnancies, combined with the psychological stressors of parenting that many kids increases your chances of dementia. Granted many people get dementia in their later years, but there may be a higher incidence among women who have 10+ kids. 

Odd my grandma with 11 kids is still very sharp at 93, but grandma with 4 had dementia when she died.  This doesn’t bode well for Ofsmuggar, Stormy Jill, or the Bates lady.  

I dont’t understand why Joy didn’t wear leggings or tights under that skirt.  Does she want to die of pneumonia? I know pregnant women get hot easily but jeez lady.  She looked miserable almost the entire pregnancy, which I’m sure was tough, but she didn’t appear to take good care of herself either, and Austin didn’t seem to force the issue.  

• Love 2

At that point in Joy's post-TTH life she probably didn't realize that she was going to have to make her own decisions based on her needs. Being told how to walk, talk, think, eat, smile, and breath didn't exactly prepare her for taking care of herself as an adult.

I think Joy got the poor end of the parenting stick in the Duggar family. She was Jill's first buddy when Jill was just a little girl herself, so she got crappy/no mothering from Michelle and probably crappy mothering from Jill. All she knows is to do what she's told and pretend she's happy about it.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 16
On 8/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Natalie68 said:

On 8/21/2018 at 12:43 PM, queenanne said:

I have two toddlers and I swear I've never recovered from "baby brain" even though my youngest turned 2 last month. 

I joke that I used to be "sharper" before kids and that kids zap your brain cells somehow....and it appears it could indeed be the case.  

Interesting stuff.  I wonder if having more kids means women also have less time to spend doing things that keep the brain learning new stuff and "active," so the speak, like reading, doing crosswords, or whatever. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 10
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, EVS said:

Constantly being joyfully available to JimBoob would definitely make me lose my mind. 

The thought of any woman who would want to have sex with JB makes me lose my mind, beat my head against the wall, poke my eyes out, run outside screaming, and not eat. I think anyone who marries into the Duggar clan runs a higher risk of losing their mind.

I think of all the Duggar daughters, Jinger and Jeremy will have the least number of kids. I guess we'll see but I have a feeling it's going to be no more than 4, 

In reference to an earlier comment, breast feeding won't prevent breast cancer. I nursed both of mine exclusively for 18 months and 10 months, and developed it at age 53, before I went into menopause. I had surgery and radiation and hopefully am okay now as long as I stay on my hormone blocker prescribed by my oncologist, but there is no guarantee it won't be back someday. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

I think of all the Duggar daughters, Jinger and Jeremy will have the least number of kids. I guess we'll see but I have a feeling it's going to be no more than 4, 

In reference to an earlier comment, breast feeding won't prevent breast cancer. I nursed both of mine exclusively for 18 months and 10 months, and developed it at age 53, before I went into menopause. I had surgery and radiation and hopefully am okay now as long as I stay on my hormone blocker prescribed by my oncologist, but there is no guarantee it won't be back someday. 

Breast feeding cannot prevent breast cancer completely but it does decrease the risk of developing it.  Women who breast feed for at least 6 months sometime in their lives are at lower risk than women who have never breast fed.  Also, women who give birth to their first child before the age of 30 are less likely to develop breast cancer than women who started their family later or never had kids.  If you've got a family history of breast cancer, it's worth considering these facts if you're thinking about having children.

I agree, Jinger and Jeremy seem to be more mainstream in regards to childbearing than the rest of the family. We shall see.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

I am SO sorry to hear that.  I hope you thrive and stay well, happy and chatting about these crazy folks alongside us for a LONG time!

• Love 2
On 22/08/2018 at 12:43 AM, Natalie68 said:

Maybe only the demented have 5 children in those countries. Neither Greece or South Korea are known for remarkable birth rates and child friendly governments.  

• Love 4