Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Unexpected/ S08.E04: Jinger and Jermey's Little Secret

ginger90
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Duggars had a yearly calendar hung in the kitchen like a typical family. They saved all the calendars. Right under noting Josiah's first haircut it likely noted Michelle's first day of menses for the month. What a sweet family memento knowing you took your first steps during your mother's fertile time.

As I've said before - you can't make this shit up.

Is it god-like to let your previous kids know that in 9 or so months, they'll have another sibling, and that the unfortunate kid will not even have his/her mother's attention beyond six months?

I think not.  I never imagined my parents doing it, even though I went to public school, and had sex-ed classes.  It's just all kinds of fucked-up IMO, to flaunt one's sexuality in front of the preceding kids!  ESPECIALLY since they are expected to not even kiss before being married, for life.  GTFOOH.

• Love 11

I wondered if it’s not “proper” for Jana to travel or even go to the store alone and that’s why Laura is there.  She’s basically Jana’s chaperone and vice versa which seems insane for a 29 year old.  I did think it was odd that Jeremy’s voice over introduced her only as Jana’s friend vs one of their or the family’s friend.  If she’s not Jinger’s friend too, why is she there?  Maybe Laura couldn’t stay at the compound with Michelle and Jana away?

Edited by scenicbyway
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, GleamingMist said:

How does this work with dinners etc in terms of Josh, Anna, Jill, Derick now that they're not filming?  Do they just come over anyways and then get sent to the laundry room so they can film?  Or are they just totally shunned and left out of things?  The M kids were clearly there at the dinner (I think - I'm starting to not be able to keep track of all those kids) so just curious how they get around that.

It's an interesting question, but I didn't think there were all that many actual dinners at the TTH where the whole family actually sit down at the table. Don't they serve buffet style and people mill around and get a plate? I'd bet a hot dinner that any big group of Duggars sitting at a table for a meal shown on the show, was staged just for the TLC cameras, so it's unlikely that the Dillards or Smuggar would be around anyway. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why can't Laura DeMaise go back to HER family's home? She doesn't need to constantly travel with the Duggars. I highly doubt that ANY of the Duggar school children are doing any school work when traveling....so, Laura should not be needed. Something is strange about this situation IMO. They really should truthfully address why she is there and so 'deep in' their family. Doesn't she have one of her own?

I too wondered why Laura was in Texas for Felicity's birth; that seemed really weird. If Jana and Michelle were away from home and the littles, seems like Laura was needed at at the TTH to look after them or teach them or whatever it is she does.

But would that be considered an "unseemly" situation - for Laura, a non-family young woman, to be left at the TTH with Boob and the other males - and no other adult woman to look out for her?

• Love 5

@BitterApple Share it! Idk about the whole Laura talk. The thing is, she was around Jana and the Duggar family before any of the girls were even married. There’s pics of her hanging out with all of all of them and going on trips with them. She’s one of the closest friends to the family and I think she’s been around more and more to be a companion with someone close to her age (she’s like 32), especially that her sisters have left the house. 

• Love 5

I'll just say that I think there's more skeletons piled in the Duggar closet than Josh-gate(s). One particular daughter was at Kool-aid headquarters and JTTH much more than the others and given what was going on with their cult leader....you can see where I'm going...

As far as Laura, I can't figure it out either, unless her family is even worse than the Duggars. 

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, Marthalord said:

@BitterApple Share it! Idk about the whole Laura talk. The thing is, she was around Jana and the Duggar family before any of the girls were even married. There’s pics of her hanging out with all of all of them and going on trips with them. She’s one of the closest friends to the family and I think she’s been around more and more to be a companion with someone close to her age (she’s like 32), especially that her sisters have left the house. 

I wonder if Laura could be the mystery girl in the all dressed in red family picture.

• Love 7

This is complete speculation, but I wonder if the boy was Chad Paine. The age and timing would fit, and it seems like the more prominent IBLP families run in the same circles and marry their kids off to one another. I know I sound bitchy for saying this, but usually when the guy calls it off it means he met someone he liked better. If whoever the boy was ended up marrying someone else within a short time frame, I could see Jana being very hurt. She strikes me as sensitive.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt. My devious mind always tends to think of the most scandalous scenario.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I wondered the same thing, especially when Jana did the talking head with her.  Do you think possibly Jana and Laura are "more than friends?"  Although I know the Duggars would NEVER accept a lesbian relationship under their roof.  I just find it odd.  Also it is starting to be very apparent that Jana's siblings are all getting married, having babies, and she is not.  I think there is something more than her being picky.  Anyone else?

Will take full discussion to the other thread but basically ......I've been wondering lately if Jana could be Asexual.  I doubt she'd know what that was but if instead of being gay she has a general disinterest in marriage, sex etc the Asexual orientation could be why.  

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Will take full discussion to the other thread but basically ......I've been wondering lately if Jana could be Asexual.  I doubt she'd know what that was but if instead of being gay she has a general disinterest in marriage, sex etc the Asexual orientation could be why.  

Asexual or aromantic or both. 

Many asexual people are still interested in romance. 

I think that Laura is around to be Jana’s companion (in a purely platonic sense). Single people don’t necessarily want to spend every waking moment alone. 

• Love 12

If I was Jana I'd be grateful for another adult female to hang with, kind of like a college roomie. Otherwise who does Jana have? Michelle and the Littles. She can't really hang with her brothers, cuz, well, they're boys. Maybe Laura is in the same boat. A boat empty of men and opportunities for independence.

• Love 19

During the timeframe when the daughters ‘wrote’ their book, Jana was asked by a producer if she was courting or such. Jane responded ’there had been someone but’.  No further explanation was ever put forth. So maybe that is what pickles was referring to. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I have a theory but I probably can't post it here without getting banned, so I'll keep it to myself for now. What I will say is yes, I absolutely agree there is something more going on than Jana simply being picky or Michelle refusing to let go of her most productive Sister-Mom. If loss of household help was the concern, Boob wouldn't have been so quick to let the other girls fly the coop. Not to mention there's always a steady stream of young, Fundie women to exploit for free labor. 

It wouldn't strike me as quite so strange if Laura was actually seen teaching, but it seems like she's Jana's travel companion more than anything else.

I have a theory too.  I don't know if it's the same as your theory, but I'm going to stick mine in a spoiler box.  It's not new info and it came from a blind gossip site.  Take

Spoiler

It's rumored that Jana is in love with a man who was previously married.  There is no indication that he is still married. Boob won't let her marry this guy.  Jana is afraid that if she does marry him against her father's wishes, she will be cast out from her family. If it's true, just one more reason to hate Boob.

the info for what it's worth.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Honestly, I don't think any of them is in touch enough with themselves to even contemplate the idea of being gay. Even if they were, they would probably see no options for themselves other than marriage and children. Millions of gay people have married members of the opposite sex over the millennia because that's what they were expected to do.

I think Jana is shy, and that works against her. Think of how incredibly forward Jill was with Derick. Ben pursued Jessa almost like a stalker. Ben and Jessa introduced Jinger to Jeremy. None of these relationships were the result of natural interactions between young men and women.

She's never alone, and it doesn't appear that she's going to put herself forward on the rare occasions that she's out in the company of other young adults. Unless she gets a stalker like Jessa, or one of her siblings introduces her to someone like Jeremy, she's going to be single for a long time.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

And Jennifer looks absolutely miserable 99% of the time we see her. A close second is Johanna. 

Jennifer never smiles.  Which is a shame, because she is such a pretty girl.  I noticed that she doesn't do THs.  She and Jessa seem to have the same temperament. Only now, Jessa has to fake being upbeat and cheery for a living.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, graefin said:

Regarding Jana, Pickles claims the following. Take it for what it's worth. 

Screenshot_20180814-200059_Facebook.jpg

I asked her to "out" the information already if she knows the truth. Seriously, get it out there so we can understand why Jana is Jana.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I asked her to "out" the information already if she knows the truth. Seriously, get it out there so we can understand why Jana is Jana.

Oh, please no!

I think Jana is much more interesting as the enigmatic character on this faux reality TV series. Let's not ruin the fun of projecting our own wishes and ideas onto her.

Let her continue to be our:

Imaginary Lesbian,

Supposed Hetero in Love with a Forbidden Man,

Asexual romantic,

Asexual unromantic,

Controller of a Secret Slush Fund that Owns Many Businesses,

and whatever the heck else has been speculated.

ETA: I realize that she is a real person, and I'm not inviting anyone to post abusive or false defamatory comments about her! 

But I sort of enjoy the Duggars having this enigmatic oldest daughter. Who smiles sweetly and says as little as possible. And I suppose I want to her have some zone of privacy, which ironically is probably all the more difficult since she IS so quiet, if that makes sense. I mean, we'd all probably be happy if Jill would stop her constant stupid social media posts and we're happy that Jessa seems to have figured it out and doesn't constantly post on SM (and makes it about her cute kids for the most part). We don't spend much bandwidth trying to figure them out. Sometimes we spend bandwidth wishing one or another of them would STFU. Not so, with Jana. Well played, girl.

Edited by Jeeves
Punctuation and paragraphs and that
  • Love 18

My personal theory on Jana is that it is a combination of most of our theories except for her being a lesbian.  I can see that she may have had her heart broken when she was younger and that has made her gun shy about any new man.  I really believe that she is burdened with a massive amount of guilt when it comes to her younger siblings.  She is the eldest daughter and Michelle has depended on her for far too long.  Jana is an adult that knows her parents and can accurately guess what would happen if she did marry and leave.  I don't even want to imagine what she walked into when she returned from Texas.  Michelle has ceded almost all her responsibilities for parenting her children to Jana along with the housework.  As much as Jana might want to leave, her guilt kicks in and she decides to stay. 

Jana has probably turned down a few guys over the years because she looks at them and can see that they are not worth it.  It will take a really special man for her to leave the family.  Jana had to grow up before her time, and I don't think she wants that for any of her younger sisters.  She probably thinks it is better for her to sacrifice her personal happiness than for one of her younger sisters to take over for her. 

• Love 17
11 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Jennifer never smiles.  Which is a shame, because she is such a pretty girl.  I noticed that she doesn't do THs.  She and Jessa seem to have the same temperament. Only now, Jessa has to fake being upbeat and cheery for a living.

I'm sorry for Jenni if she's miserable most of the time, but whenever I hear a female being told she should smile, I think of this video:

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jana is an adult that knows her parents and can accurately guess what would happen if she did marry and leave.  I don't even want to imagine what she walked into when she returned from Texas.  Michelle has ceded almost all her responsibilities for parenting her children to Jana along with the housework.  As much as Jana might want to leave, her guilt kicks in and she decides to stay. 

I completely agree that this is how Jana probably feels, but I also don't think that her feelings count for much. Her father calls the shots here. Jim Bob knows that the fans are dying to see Jana get married. A potential Jana wedding is his ace in the hole when dealing with TLC. The day Jim Bob decides that it's in HIS best interests for Jana to get married (when the value of a televised wedding will outweigh her usefulness as a household drudge), an eligible suitor will magically appear, Jana will fall in "love" on cue and we'll be off to the races.

• Love 13

Part of me thinks there are just no suitors. For as great as Jana appears on paper, she doesn't come across as a friendly or approachable person. If she were beating the boys off with a stick, the family wouldn't be going overboard to sell her attributes. I also don't buy Jessa's excuse that guys are intimidated by her. She gardens and knows how to swing a hammer, she's not running a Fortune 500 company. Unless Boob arranges a marriage for her, she's probably going to be single for life.

• Love 17
19 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why can't Laura DeMaise go back to HER family's home? She doesn't need to constantly travel with the Duggars. I highly doubt that ANY of the Duggar school children are doing any school work when traveling....so, Laura should not be needed. Something is strange about this situation IMO. They really should truthfully address why she is there and so 'deep in' their family. Doesn't she have one of her own?

Maybe her and Jana are "more than friends"?

• Love 1

To me it sounds like, since Laura and Jana are unmarried “older” fundie women, they are meant to be each other’s companion and accountability partner.  My hope is that they are actually covering for each other and sneaking around doing fun, forbidden, heathen activities and hooking up with hot non-fundie guys. Probably not, I know, but I would love it if this was true.

• Love 12

Didn't Laura work at IBLP headquarters? I would guess she's as straight-laced as they come. I think Jana is pretty far over on the introvert scale, which is probably problematic for her on many levels in the culture she lives in.

Oh, and I think Jenni not smiling is actually kind of a good thing. It means she is still in touch with her emotions and hasn't yet succumbed to these people's training to keep a happy countenance like her siblings were regardless of how she actually feels. In one of the earlier episodes, Jill was leading violin practice and instructed the younger kids to "try to have a pleasant expression on your face." That's just a tiny example, but this kind of negative affect-blotting indoctrination seems to get drilled into them from a young age. Maybe Dim Bulb and Mechelle are slipping because they've grown lazy(ier) with age. Maybe Jenni is rebelling just a bit. Whatever the case, it means that Jenni hasn't been fully cultified yet, which in turns hopefully means she has a better chance at leading a successful adult life than, say, sister-mom Jill.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, graefin said:

I'm sorry for Jenni if she's miserable most of the time, but whenever I hear a female being told she should smile, I think of this video:

The "Jenni should smile" comments made me react the same way. I have an adult daughter who gets told to smile by strangers on a semi-regular basis. This daughter is a petite, angelic-looking blonde who can look about 12 depending on what she's wearing. But she can rip you a new one if you're stupid enough to tell her that she'd look prettier if she'd just change her expression.

• Love 11

My husband tells me to smile at times. I can be shy (yes hard to believe right *lol*) due to a mild speech impairment and self esteem issues, and still not feeling comfortable after my overbite/crossbite and dental work done. I have been told I have a nice smile, but when I am sick or tired I do not want to smile.

I feel sorry for the kids because it is like the are being paraded around like a freak show in order to satisfy their parents constant need for approval and attention. #famewhores

Just now, bigskygirl said:

My husband tells me to smile at times. I can be shy (yes hard to believe right *lol*) due to a mild speech impairment and self esteem issues, and still not feeling comfortable after my overbite/crossbite and dental work done. I have been told I have a nice smile, but when I am sick or tired I do not want to smile.

I feel sorry for the kids because it is like the are being paraded around like a freak show in order to satisfy their parents constant need for approval and attention. #famewhores

Guess what--I tell my husband to smile sometimes! That doesn't make me a big ole hypocrite, does it? His resting face can look downright angry at times, so if he's on stage or in an uncomfortable social setting, he needs to be reminded to assume a pleasant (or at least truly neutral) expression.  I think the difference there is that I know and love him, and he agrees with me that it's something he needs to be careful about. It sounds to me like your spouse also has your best interests at heart.

And I 1000% agree with you about the poor Duggar children being paraded like show ponies.

• Love 5

I realize this may sound crazy, but, as bizarre as it is.....I wish that I had let my parents pick out my husband.  Seriously, I think they might have done a better job than I did. lol  Of course, I'm saying that in introspect. 

I'm not sure if Jana is really that inclined to allow her parents to choose for her, because, it seems that they aren't really pressuring her.  Well, maybe, in private, but, not on air.  

@Portia, I always say my husband looks like Walter (Jeff Dunham’s Walter).  He’s really not a heartless, grumpy old fart (and thankfully, the kids and grands all disregard the RBF) - but he sure LOOKS the part.  I feel ya.  I too suffer RBF.  I used to sit and practice making my lips defy gravity.  Nowadays, I just try to smile and make sure it reaches my eyes.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8
On 8/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, flyingdi said:

Michelle did 19 baby "calendars"?  Sorry I'm calling bull on that!  My mom did a full baby book on my brother, mine has like my name in it!  I always thought that was normal in most families.  LOL.

I thought she said, "Like your mom did," which meant Austin's mom. Since she only had 2, I imagine she had time. 

On 8/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Tikichick said:

Jinger struck me as quite confident in all of her interactions with everyone in this episode, even Jeremy.  I get the sense she is blossoming and they are actually forming a true partnership.  Hopefully she lights the way for her sisters wherever possible. 

I agree. Of the current married people, I think J&J and J&K are the most naturally happy. I'll eventually add Jabbie to that list when they started boinking. 

On 8/14/2018 at 10:32 AM, BitterApple said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy and Jinger stayed at a hotel during their visits, especially if they're filming and TLC is footing the bill. I can see Jeremy being savvy enough to insist on it as part of their contract, especially after experiencing the Duggar version of "hospitality" when he was courting Jinger. 

One episode detail I forgot to mention which irked the shit out me. Did you guys notice how Austin roughly dragged that canoe onto shore and just walked off without helping Joy? Even if she wasn't pregnant that would be incredibly rude. What's next, he insists she haul lumber while she's having contractions? 

Don't give him any ideas!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I realize this may sound crazy, but, as bizarre as it is.....I wish that I had let my parents pick out my husband.  Seriously, I think they might have done a better job than I did. lol  Of course, I'm saying that in introspect. 

I'm not sure if Jana is really that inclined to allow her parents to choose for her, because, it seems that they aren't really pressuring her.  Well, maybe, in private, but, not on air.  

But would you let your parents or JB and Michelle pick out a husband?

My prediction is Jana will be married by the end of 2020. Probably a fundie guy like one of the Bates boys. But I don't want Jana to get married out if she doesn't want to. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

But would you let your parents or JB and Michelle pick out a husband?

My prediction is Jana will be married by the end of 2020. Probably a fundie guy like one of the Bates boys. But I don't want Jana to get married out if she doesn't want to. 

I see your point.  lol

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I don't know.  I mean if Jana hasn't found someone she likes, I can see Boob waiting and not pimping her out.  Simply because he has to know, Jana's wedding is the highest rated thing still out there, other the JD and Abbie's.  The other twins, Jer and Jed are 19, but unless he scores a double wedding for them, I think most folks will be like, eh.  Look another Duggar wedding, boring.  After that we have the kids no one remembers - There's a Jason?  There's a Justin?  James - the orchestra pit was probably the most famous he'll be on the shower and then the Fab Jackson.  But Jackson is only 14, so what - 4-6 years before his wedding?  I think he'll try to string along babies and houses and whatever he can because once  Jana gets married, TLC is gonna pack up and leave - IMHO.  That is until Jennifer and Jordyn do their tell all book tour.

• Love 5

Yeah, Jessa is surprising me.  If she could maintain a family of 4 for a couple of years, she might have the time to develop some cool interests.   Oh, I read that Jinger has some pretty cool and non-fundie friends in the TLC family.  I guess that's for the Media thread. I'll have to go over there with this. I'm not sure it's true.