Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Life Is a Cabaret

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Anne Thrax said:

What you describe sounds chic, and is what Doris should have been wearing.  This season it started to dawn on me how Doris's wardrobe is made up of top quality dated-looking pieces.  She trots them out because they still look new, so she thinks nobody will notice.

She probably has the shoulder pads cut out of jackets and tops to make them wearable again.  She tells herself they're classics, and of better quality than anything she could buy now (which is probably true).  Because she spent so much on each piece, she could never bring herself to get rid of them once they went out of style. 

The reason those pant legs are so wide and long is because they were designed and manufactured back in the '80s when stovepipe pant legs were fashionable and were worn with sky-high platform shoes.  She probably looked fabulous in it decades ago in when it was new and the latest fashion.

I don't remember that style from the 80s. We had skinny pants. We started skinny jeans so skinny they needed ankle zippers to put them on. 

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Higgins said:

I don't remember that style from the 80s. We had skinny pants. We started skinny jeans so skinny they needed ankle zippers to put them on. 

And then some of us added insult to injury by wearing them with stirrups.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Higgins said:

I recall stove pipe - and / or palazzo - pants from the ‘70s. I had a small waist then & loved ‘em. 

I’ve also noticed D’s vintage look, but I like it on her. For whatever reason she wears ‘em, they do look good on her.

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I recall stove pipe - and / or palazzo - pants from the ‘70s. I had a small waist then & loved ‘em. 

I’ve also noticed D’s vintage look, but I like it on her. For whatever reason she wears ‘em, they do look good on her.

Agree, she loves her Pucci.

In general whatever Dorinda wears - she looks confident. When she first came on to the present - I've always loved that she isn't afraid of bright colors and prints. She definitely has her own style and it suits her.

• Love 11

Ha! Loved Dorinda’s bottle-opening lesson.

I enjoyed it, too. However, she actually didn't open the bottle correctly - you're supposed to turn the bottle, not the cork. (I realize that might be nitpicking, but hey, she was the one doing the presentation.)

The MPV of the show was Ramoaner! 

And also the MVP, hee. Ramona can be so awful sometimes, but this show would be far, far less entertaining without her.

But...she screams "BOOYAH, BITCH!" in Carole's face! Surely that has to count for something?

That the B is a C?

I thought Tinsley looked great.

Me, too. Very chic.

For all of Bethenny’s money her clothes should fit her better.  In fact they used to fit her better.  Did her tailor leave town?

She probably ran the tailor off, like she does everyone else in her life. I agree that something is off about the fitting of her clothes lately, because one of things she's seemingly always been smart about is having her wardrobe tailored.

• Love 4
On 8/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

The gift was sweet if a little boring. I was rewriting the second pillow in my mind. So many sentiments could have been a perfect companion pillow to "What Happens in Miami" such as "Ends In Divorce", "Ends With a Mug Shot" "Ends in Jail", "Ends Up On the Internet".....

19 hours ago, DelicateDee said:

The reunion previews look CRAY CRAY!  But what they showed is probably all the sparks.  I'm not gonna get too excited for it, as these shows always leave us with fake cliffhangers.  But I did enjoy Bethenny's Boo-Ya bitch to Carol. I still want to see all the texts!!! 

Thought the pillows Tinsley gifted Luann were very cute and a nice gesture.  Tinsley can be quite thoughtful.

How about "What Happens In Palm Beach" "Ends Up On Page Six"

Tinsley's gift was quite thoughtful. I thought it was also a nice gesture when she gifted Carole with those fingerless gloves that when brought together shaped into a heart. The gift of Tiffany silver necklaces to all the ladies in Cartagena was nice too.

• Love 11

The scene with Dorinda showing Tins how to open the bottle is the Dorinda I originally enjoyed...Lighthearted, a little silly, having fun... The Dorinda later that evening is exactly what I can't stand about her. I do hope she comes back next season, after a come to jeebuz moment... And returns to a more level mentality...time will tell. Naturally Carole couldn't resist being unnecessarily snarky when talking about Lu singing off-key. So unnecessary- but... typical Carole. I also noticed upon rewatch when they were entering the after party how she mumbled under her breath, to Sonja, that Dorinda was not happy with Luann. Who cares Carole? Why did Sonja need to know?Not your battle. Just like encouraging Tins to tell Dorinda about the Scott invite, under the guise of "transparency" was so unnecessary. I'm soooo happy the reunions start this week. I wonder if Dorinda is wearing JOVANI! ;) 

• Love 12

Rewatching right now - I love how Luann won't let Dorinda steamroll her. I have to laugh that the closed captioning had Dorinda saying that she and Lu were friends "For fifty years" - didn't realize they met in kindergarten... or was it first grade?  Lu should be thankful she shook Dorinda free from her friendship tree. Still cranky Lu is not going to be at the reunion... that would have just added another layer of fabulocity to the shiz show....

• Love 8
On 8/16/2018 at 9:18 AM, bosawks said:

It was Feinstein's/54 Below, which is no joke in the Cabaret world of NYC.

you're not kidding, quite an impressive line up on their calendar of events. 

Also (not to you Bosawks), someone said up thread that you can see a B-way musical for the price of a Luann Cabaret show....yes, you probably can, but they're completely different experiences and not fair to compare.  I'd pay it in a heartbeat.  I think it would be a good use of my entertainment dollars. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

The scene with Dorinda showing Tins how to open the bottle is the Dorinda I originally enjoyed...Lighthearted, a little silly, having fun... The Dorinda later that evening is exactly what I can't stand about her. I do hope she comes back next season, after a come to jeebuz moment... And returns to a more level mentality...time will tell. Naturally Carole couldn't resist being unnecessarily snarky when talking about Lu singing off-key. So unnecessary- but... typical Carole. I also noticed upon rewatch when they were entering the after party how she mumbled under her breath, to Sonja, that Dorinda was not happy with Luann. Who cares Carole? Why did Sonja need to know?Not your battle. Just like encouraging Tins to tell Dorinda about the Scott invite, under the guise of "transparency" was so unnecessary. I'm soooo happy the reunions start this week. I wonder if Dorinda is wearing JOVANI! ;) 

I caught that, too, trying to start some shit stirring right off the bat.

I hope that Sonja did in fact hear her but *chose* to walk away rather than engage her.

Unfortunately, since it's self-absorbed Sonja, she probably didn't hear her.  

• Love 7

Eh, it's hardly shit-stirring when the shit's already cooked and ready to be served.

Also, why should Sonja have been the only cast member kept in the dark about Dorinda's beef with Luann? Not to mention, it's not as if the issue was never going to be addressed at the party, anyway.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

I hope that Sonja did in fact hear her but *chose* to walk away rather than engage her.

Unfortunately, since it's self-absorbed Sonja, she probably didn't hear her.  

Carole's marathon story had a timeline, her story with Adam ended, all she had was gaslighting Bethenny and stirring the pot. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, jaync said:

Eh, it's hardly shit-stirring when the shit's already cooked and ready to be served.

Also, why should Sonja have been the only cast member kept in the dark about Dorinda's beef with Luann? Not to mention, it's not as if the issue was never going to be addressed at the party, anyway.

I agree. Also Carole seemed to be responding to Sonja saying that they all forgot to bring Lu flowers, usually Dorinda is the one who brings flowers. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

39276588_527273564375375_152710073906154

Luann and Rachel Dratch.

As seen on the show - Rachel is really petite in stature. Is she standing on a box here?

I'm pretty sure Rachel is 5" max and Luann is 5" 10'

Yeah....she has to be on a box, or a chair - or something... and I'm guessing Lu took her shoes off on top of crouching down... tee hee hee... Rachel is tiny...

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

39276588_527273564375375_152710073906154

Luann and Rachel Dratch.

As seen on the show - Rachel is really petite in stature. Is she standing on a box here?

I'm pretty sure Rachel is 5" max and Luann is 5" 10'

I'd say so....her waist is even with Lu's bosom.  

I wasn't able to watch this episode till this afternoon. Oh woe! Anyway, I scanned through y'all's comments. So much fun there!

I have only one or two things to add.

Sonja says, "They're coming to see Sonja Morgan! This (taking her clothes off) is my schtick. That's what they expect."  So the cabaret act was renamed to #SonjaMorganAndMaybeACameoBySomeRandomCountess? Gotcha.

Dorinda was her usual bitter, angry, drunk self. If she can watch these episodes and *not* realise she's got a drinking problem, she's even more delusional than I think she is.  Mrs. Fitzpatrick has a lot to answer for if she told Dorinda to always speak in forceful tones Dorinda didn't take her advice about keeping her hands behind her back, but she sure took *that* piece of advice to heart. Possibly too much. On the other hand, I didn't mind her saying she and Luann had been friends for "fifty years." I'm prone to that particular sort of exaggeration myself, only I usually say "a thousand years" or "a hundred years." :)

And Ramona -- I guess there's only one way for a woman to support other women? Or turn down an invitation? I'm not a Bethenny fan, really, but I'm on her side here.

Luann still can't sing. She's got a great backup cast, but she still can't find a key and stick to it.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, WordsWordsWords said:

Luann still can't sing. She's got a great backup cast, but she still can't find a key and stick to it.

I really, really, really need to know who put the idea in Lu’s head that she can sing.

And what did Ben mean, many episodes ago, when he told her, for cabaret, it doesn’t really matter what her voice sounds like?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I really, really, really need to know who put the idea in Lu’s head that she can sing?

The same summofabicch that told Kim Zolziak Beer Man that she could sing, Melissa Gouge Ya that she could sing, and Linnethia Monique Johnson that she could act. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And what did Ben mean, many episodes ago, when he told her, for cabaret, it doesn’t really what her voice sounds like?

I suspect it's sort of like musical theatre. I used to do a bit of that, and my voice is, ahem, interesting, though at least I can stay on key. Mostly. But I had personality, and I could act. And don't forget Rex Harrison, who had a long career in musical theatre, even though he couldn't sing a lick and never tried to. He sort of talked his way through songs with a bit of rhythm.

Cabaret requires a big personality and a sense of fun. If you really can sing, that's gravy.

Edited by WordsWordsWords
repairing my bad punctuation
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And what did Ben mean, many episodes ago, when he told her, for cabaret, it doesn’t really what her voice sounds like?

Many cabaret singers have memorable, powerful voices (Edith Piaf, Josephine Baker) but there's also a tradition in cabaret of raw emotion, authenticity -- or pure charisma -- mattering more than vocal precision; like Dietrich (at the Cafe de Paris); 

That said, Luann ain't no Dietrich ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, film noire said:

Many cabaret singers have memorable, powerful voices (Edith Piaf, Josephine Baker) but there's also a tradition in cabaret of raw emotion, authenticity -- or pure charisma -- mattering more than vocal precision; like Dietrich (at the Cafe de Paris); 

That said, Luann ain't no Dietrich ; )

No, she's Chita Rivera, remember?

• Love 5