Type keyword(s) to search

Allowance Busters: Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club, and other YA serials

OtterMommy
  • Start Topic

The BSC specials! My favorite was the one where Dawn, Claudia and some of the kids get shipwrecked on an island while everyone else worries and looks for them. I particularly remember the scene where some of the searchers find the wreckage of Dawn's boat bobbing in the water. A lot more serious angst than usual.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That seemed to be a thing with a lot of these teen series in general back then, the specials. I remember the BSC series had specials as well. 

Specials, and the Mysteries series had Specials too.   I swear I remember one about a hurricane, but there's not one listed on Wikipedia.

I liked the Mysteries.  I also loved that Dawn and the Surfer Ghost was featured as a plot point in the first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  If you're going to be trapped in a bunker for 15 years with only one BSC book, that's a decent choice.

I wanted to share this description from Wikipedia as well.

2. Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-sitter (July 1993) - Logan gets in trouble when he starts hanging out with T-Jam, a member of Stoneybrook Middle School's resident gang.

Ah, the mean streets of Stoneybrook.

Mary Anne was totally Logan's beard.  He married Alan Gray.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

My favorite SVH special edition was Malibu Summer where Liz, Jessica, and the amazing Lila get jobs as nannies in, duh, Malibu.

Lila gets a job with a rich family and hardly has to lift a finger while Jess trades an equally cushy setup with Liz so she can be with this (oh the horror) poor (more like middle-class) family because, due to their last name, she thinks the couple is related to rock star Tony Sargeant.

In a not-contrived-at-all plotline, a friend of the family comes to visit and it's Tony in disguise, who, of course, falls for Liz (helping out Jess as usual with babysitting). 

Here's Jessica rocking her size six bikini, and Liz, of course, playing it safe in the candy-striped one piece, her ever-present barrettes holding her sunkissed hair away from her face.

260062.jpg

My favorite Magna edition was The Fowlers of Sweet Valley.

51Y84NQR2BL._SX290_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 5

The Magna books were a hoot and I agree that Lila’s history was the best. Aristocracy, French Resistance, and Hatfield vs McCoy type family rivalries. Of COURSE that’s who is in her family tree. Love her and I still have the book. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

My favorite Magna edition was The Fowlers of Sweet Valley.

51Y84NQR2BL._SX290_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Okay, this totally looks like the start of an opening theme to a soap opera. 

@starri, for some reason, I don't think I remember that particular BSC book! A gang? All right, then. 

Also...

11 hours ago, starri said:

Mary Anne was totally Logan's beard.  He married Alan Gray.

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter :D. 

• Love 1
On ‎31‎.‎1‎.‎2019 at 11:22 PM, CountryGirl said:

The book I'm thinking of and the one that has stuck with me the most was "On the Edge" when TPTB not only had good girl (I'm talking overcoming deafness and making the Bruce the Cad fall in real love) Regina Morrow trying cocaine...but...gasp she dies... 

I remember that as well. I think it even made me a little sad. 

"Buzz spouts about how you can't get hooked on cocaine; it just makes you happy. It's like candy! Better than candy though! Because it won't make you fat!" (from 1bruce1 recap)

:D I have to admit that's actually a pretty good sales pitch for cocaine. 

• Love 3

The thing about Regina's death that I found most interesting is that there was fallout but it didn't go far enough.  Bruce felt tons of guilt about how he treated her in those final weeks and it was probably the first time he ever felt guilty about anything he'd ever done.  Elizabeth had a later story about that camera of Regina's leading her to solve a crime ::eyeroll:: that included her thinking about her friend and how much she missed her.  On the other hand there was nothing from the Morrows.  I remember there were occasional references to Nicholas still mourning her loss but the whole family was remarkably capable in handling her death.  You'd think, at a minimum, Mrs. Morrow would have gone into a tailspin.  One of the first things we learn about the Morrows is that Mrs. Morrow took diet pills early in her pregnancy which resulted in Regina being born deaf*.  They made a point of telling us about the guilt she felt for being selfish and picking her modeling career over her pregnancy.  Yet Regina dies when an unknown heart condition reveals itself after a couple lines of cocaine and nothing from her parents?  Mrs. Morrow didn't immediately assume that this was her fault as well?  The Morrows didn't yell at any of Regina's doctors for not catching the heart condition during any of the extensive testing that would have been done on Regina after they realized what caused her deafness?  Or at any of the doctors who would have examined her to make sure she could handle an operation in the lead up to her getting her hearing restored in Europe?  Or just at each other because they needed someone to blame?  Even the healthiest and happiest marriages can break up due to loss of a child yet this was never a danger for the Morrows.  Nope, they ignored an interesting story that was right there.  Maybe if Regina's death had come after 100, when they started doing those increasingly silly trilogies, we'd have seen some real fallout but it was book 40. 

*No idea how likely this is in real life but it was the culprit in the books.

• Love 2

To repeat what several others have said...MY PEOPLE!!

OMG, I loved SVH for so long.  The first one I remember reading was #10--poor Annie Whitman, all she wanted was to make the cheerleading squad!  Speaking of, I remember the Cheerleaders series, because I started with book 16 (whoops) and then had to track down the first fifteen because unlike SVH, those books really needed to be read in order.  And who else remembers The Girls of Canby Hall?

My favorite series had to be Sunfire, though.  The first one I read was Susannah, and thanks to that book, I became a Civil War nerd.  I liked learning a little about American history in each book, but Susannah was my favorite.  (And I've always said that James Cameron lifted a chunk of the plot of Titanic from Candice F. Ransom's Nicole...let's see.  Pretty teenage girl with a widowed mother?  Check.  Family in financial straits?  Check.  Mother pushing daughter to marry rich man?  Check.  Daughter falls in love with third-class passenger?  Check.)

As for Christopher Pike, I have him to thank for spoiling a Star Wars plot twist for me in Weekend, for making me cry in The Midnight Club and Witch, and for my obsession with Michael Olson in the Final Friends trilogy.  I think I stopped reading around the time his stuff started getting really twisty and weird.  Oh, and I don't remember which poster said that Remember Me did not need sequels, but AMEN to that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, wallflower75 said:

(And I've always said that James Cameron lifted a chunk of the plot of Titanic from Candice F. Ransom's Nicole...let's see.  Pretty teenage girl with a widowed mother?  Check.  Family in financial straits?  Check.  Mother pushing daughter to marry rich man?  Check.  Daughter falls in love with third-class passenger?  Check.)

Yes! I thought the same thing when I re-read it a few years ago. I still have a lot of these, I really liked the one about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire and the one about the Lowell factory.

I also read the BSC specials. I liked the one where they were in the cast of Peter Pan and one where they went to summer camp.

I  never read the SVH book about the Fowlers. I did read the two about the Wakefield family.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

As for Christopher Pike, I have him to thank for spoiling a Star Wars plot twist for me in Weekend, for making me cry in The Midnight Club and Witch, and for my obsession with Michael Olson in the Final Friends trilogy.  I think I stopped reading around the time his stuff started getting really twisty and weird.  Oh, and I don't remember which poster said that Remember Me did not need sequels, but AMEN to that.

That was me. I read the unnecessary sequels once and never again, and it's very rare for me to have only read a Pike once (I think the only other ones I've never read again are the later Last Vampire books - that series just went on and on and felt so repetitive. I'm not sure how I feel about the very end of it. I have a nagging suspicion that if I hadn't just been so relieved that the series was finally over, I might have hated the ending more). Also, Witch is one of my most-read Pikes, and I still cry every damn time when Julia's aunt explains things to Amy and Scott, and then when Julia is reunited with her mother. I don't reread The Midnight Club quite as much, but I always cry when Ilonka is talking to Anya's ex-boyfriend near the end.

• Love 2

I liked the BSC specials too. The blizzard one, the stranded on an island, the play and everyone getting to go on the cruise. 

I read all four SVH family sagas and agree that the Fowlers was the best one. I guess the best thing about the two about both sides of the Wakefield parents is its clear both sides were messed up and both sides constantly running into each other and not marrying until the twins' parents was annoying. On the dad side you have the 'I won't let my father tell me what to do' who bails on his family fortune and title and sailing to the US to end up doing the exact same thing to his daughter. Aces. Over in the mom's background a set of twins Amanda and Samantha where both fall in love with the same man Ted, Amanda wins except decides to keep it a secret, her twin finds and decides to pretend to be her twin to set up the guy for bootlegging (it was the 20s) so he thinks its Amanda who set him up. Good to know where Jessica got her psychopath genes from. I guess its not surprising that she ends up spiking her twin's drink to be Prom Queen. Its in the blood. The lesson in that story wasn't not to act like a psycho and frame a boy for a crime but that twins should always be friends and speak to each other. Amanda decides never to speak to her psycho twin again but learns she's wrong when her sister dies in childbirth. Oh, SVH I never tire if your twisted lessons.  I have always wondered what happened when the two met up at Ned and Alice's wedding they were both still alive at the time. Did he greet her with 'I haven't seen you since you set me up to go to jail'? its not to often your family has that kind of history with your husband's family. There should have been some fireworks.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

And who else remembers The Girls of Canby Hall?

Me! I still have some of the books featuring the original trio of Dana, Faith and Shelley. My favorite is Our Roommate is Missing. The plot is so ridiculous (Shelley gets kidnapped by art world thieves who mistake her for her fellow student Casey!), but I love the angst. I read a few with the second trio of Jane/Andy/Toby, but I must have given them away because I noticed while rearranging books after my recent move that they weren't there. Was there ever a third (fourth...fifth) trio?

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1

Okay, the Sunfire books. I could swear I read some of them. They look to be right up my alley but I remember absolutely NOTHING about anything of them (other than none of them had MY name on them so fuck 'em all!) However, the covers totally remind me of the Wagons West series which I devoured like they were Skittles.

image.png.58d8e3a0d045ec1029af0f8df8a27e4b.png

Seriously, I jumped from SVH to this. With maybe a very brief stop-gap with the Sunfire books in between but I rather doubt it because I'm certain I got the taste for the Wagons West series when we were back in California and I was visiting my grandmother and she had the first several books on the series. Notice how this books says it's 'from the Producer of The Kent Family Chronicles' -- which was another John Jakes series that was quite popular among my family. (I jumped from Wagons West to North and South. No one can say I wasn't ambitious.) I always called it 'The Bastard Series' because that was the first one. My cousin has all the books and I think my Mom got rid of all hers but I'll have to check out her library. It seems odd to me that she'd get rid of the Kent Family and somehow manage to keep off of my SVH books.

The Wagons West WAS totally a soap opera with family dynasties and love and betrayal and lots of fighting and horses and wagons and boats and gambling. And characters like 'Whip' Holt (seriously, it was all western expansion romanticism, of course he had a name like that) would keep popping in later books and it was like 'Isn't he dead yet?' I think he finally did die. Man, I am certain these books are in storage and I have the need to dig them out now.

I think that is the first time I have ever seen "producer of" used in reference to books, and I'm wondering what it means.

(And yeah, I really enjoyed the Kent Family Chronicles until Jakes got away from his original idea of tracing the family all the way down to the present day and got stuck on one Kent man in particular, which of course was the one Kent man in the entire saga I never was very interested in. And for my money the best book was the one that centered on Amanda Kent. She was Jakes's best and most complex character ever, and I loved the ending. I was also very fond of Philip and Anne's love story from the first book, but yeesh, what an intolerably cruel ending Anne had, even by Jakes's standards. I don't think I could stand to read it again.)

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Me! I still have some of the books featuring the original trio of Dana, Faith and Shelley. My favorite is Our Roommate is Missing. The plot is so ridiculous (Shelley gets kidnapped by art world thieves who mistake her for her fellow student Casey!), but I love the angst. I read a few with the second trio of Jane/Andy/Toby, but I must have given them away because I noticed while rearranging books after my recent move that they weren't there. Was there ever a third (fourth...fifth) trio?

I don't think there was.  In fact, I'm not sure the second trio ever graduated.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I don't think there was.  In fact, I'm not sure the second trio ever graduated.

That doesn't surprise me. The series did seem to be running out of steam, and Jane/Andy/Toby never really felt like all that close of friends. The last book I read in it was a Special! where the original trio came back for Alison's wedding and interacted with the new trio. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't the publishers' last gasp attempt at spiking sales for the series. But of course if you have to have your original characters guest-star because the new ones aren't holding up, that's not going to work for long.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I think that is the first time I have ever seen "producer of" used in reference to books, and I'm wondering what it means.

I know, isn't that weird? Obviously it was a total marketing move to grab attention for fans of the Kent Family to try out Wagons West but... producers? Of books? Is that different from publishers?

So, back to the Sunfire books. I went to the only source I knew who would be able to know these stories at all. My cousin who is two years older than me. Our mothers are sisters, that whole side of the family is big on reading (it was my maternal grandmother who had the Wagons West books) and we used to trade back and forth back in the day. So I mentioned to her this discussion and asked if she remembered. When I went looking at all the books in the series, I found the cover to Danielle (my cousin's name) and was like 'I have held this book in my hands!! I KNOW it!' but even reading the synopsis didn't spark any remembrance of the story itself. My cousin responded with a resounding YES. Of course she remembers it. (She owned 'Danielle' obviously which is probably why I know I have touched it.) What's more she was just thinking about the series the other day and couldn't remember the name of it. So now she's going to be going through her shit and trying to dig them up.

And I am, meanwhile, desperately hoping that someone does the read throughs of the Sunfire books like they do for Sweet Valley High because, even though it's not quite as soap opera-y with the same families and recurring characters and dances every week, it seems ripe for it.

• Love 1

Definitely looking forward to checking this out!

I seem to recall it was a few books in before Mallory and Jessi became part of the group, so maybe they'll come in down the line as a result? Hope so, at least. 

I'm very excited for this. Also, obviously one of the babysitters will be queer - so, we can all place our bets now on whether it's Kristy or Dawn. I think Dawn. Although Ann M. Martin is a lesbian and hasn't she said she identifies with Kristy the most? But I'm still thinking Dawn in the end.

I also learned today that a trilogy of Fear Street movies is in the works!

• Love 3

My favorite Fear Street book was called Haunted, I think. It was about a ghost from the future. 

As for the BSC, Mallory was always a part of the books since she was one of the Pike kids. She became a member of the club later, at the same time that Jessi did. I don't remember the number of the book but it was called Hello, Mallory, and the older girls are all hugely bitchy to Mallory until they realize there's no need for them to be hugely bitchy. Oh, and they desperately need a baby-sitter.

Oh, and Jessi was black. Does anyone remember how Jessi was black? There's just no other way to say it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I don't remember the number of the book but it was called Hello, Mallory,

I looked it up and it was book 14.

Maybe they'll stick to the books in having Mallory show up in S1 whenever there's a babysitting job at the Pikes, and then graduate her to a full-fledged sitter in S2.

I'm not sure if Jessi will ever appear. She basically had no personality, despite her love of ballet. She existed to be the black one. And there's no way in 2019 that the show is going to cast four white girls and no black girls. Claudia will obviously stay Japanese-American, but at least one of Kristy, Dawn, Stacey or Mary Anne is going to be black.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm very excited for this. Also, obviously one of the babysitters will be queer - so, we can all place our bets now on whether it's Kristy or Dawn. I think Dawn. Although Ann M. Martin is a lesbian and hasn't she said she identifies with Kristy the most? But I'm still thinking Dawn in the end.

Even as a tween, I had figured out that Martin was a lesbian, but she actually publicly out?  I think she says the babysitter she sees herself in is Mary Anne, who is my dark horse.  Although yes, we all knew from jump that it was Kristy.

Assuming no Jessie, my money would be on Stacey being a person of color.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, starri said:

Even as a tween, I had figured out that Martin was a lesbian, but she actually publicly out?

Yes, she officially came out in 2016.

I agree Stacey will probably be the one cast with a black actress. And one of the remaining girls will be cast with a Latina actress.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, starri said:

Probably Dawn.

I think it'll be Mary Anne so that they have an excuse to ditch the old-fashioned name in favor of Maria or Mariana.

As a Californian, I know full well that we are not all blond haired with blue eyes, and we're also a majority-minority state. I think it'd be awesome for a black or Latina girl to be cast as Dawn to remind everybody else of this. But the books harped so much on Dawn's long blonde hair that I bet the producers won't want to go away from that. They'll look for someone like a younger Ginny Gardner (of Hulu's Runaways).

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, Black Knight said:

Although Ann M. Martin is a lesbian and hasn't she said she identifies with Kristy the most? But I'm still thinking Dawn in the end.

Really? I thought Mary Ann was her Author Avatar. 

Or maybe she just filters elements of herself through multiple characters.

Kristy's already got the Ambiguously Gay distinction, so I'd be very surprised if she wasn't so in the updated versions.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Camille said:

Really? I thought Mary Ann was her Author Avatar. 

Or maybe she just filters elements of herself through multiple characters.

Kristy's already got the Ambiguously Gay distinction, so I'd be very surprised if she wasn't so in the updated versions.

I think Mary Ann was but she has said that Kristy was her favorite character. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, CountryGirl said:

But they could also surprise you by going places you never saw the "perfect" Sweet Valley going. The book I'm thinking of and the one that has stuck with me the most was "On the Edge" when TPTB not only had good girl (I'm talking overcoming deafness and making the Bruce the Cad fall in real love) Regina Morrow trying cocaine...but...gasp she dies... 

I seriously believe this is why I never tried cocaine.  Reading this as an 11 year old freaked me out too much.  Thank you Francine Pascal! 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Tabby said:

I seriously believe this is why I never tried cocaine.  Reading this as an 11 year old freaked me out too much.  Thank you Francine Pascal! 

It freaked me out the first time I read it too.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Tabby said:

I seriously believe this is why I never tried cocaine. 

Without question.  I knew, I KNEW, that if I ever tried cocaine I, too, would die of a previously unknown heart condition just like Regina. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Wow, four pages in and no mention yet of the Girl Talk books? Each book had a hot pink cover and a different cover picture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Talk_(books)

I always enjoyed the SVH spinoff series than the original series - Sweet Valley Kids, which featured the Wakefield twins and friends in elementary school, and Sweet Valley Twins, which saw them in junior high. Someone upthread also mentioned Sleepover Friends!! I loved that series and no one I know of seems to remember it.

Going old school, my mom (who was a student nurse - now a retired RN) bought several books in the Cherry Ames, Student Nurse series. Though dated, I found them to be enjoyable.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Going old school, my mom (who was a student nurse - now a retired RN) bought several books in the Cherry Ames, Student Nurse series. Though dated, I found them to be enjoyable.

I was into Cherry Ames, Nancy Drew et al because I inherited my mother's collection and then started adding to them.  I remember one Christmas when I got 4 Nancy Drews and was so happy until I went over to my friend's house and her older sister had given her the whole set (to that point) in it's own bookcase!  I never wanted an older sister so much as I did then!  On the plus side I got to read all those books :). 

Another series I haven't noticed anyone mention is Trixie Belden.  She was my mystery solving teen hero.  She seemed way more like me (or the me I wanted to be) than Nancy and Cherry and the others who were, for the most part, a fair bit older than I was.  Does anyone still read Trixie I wonder?

Edited by Homily
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Homily said:

Another series I haven't noticed anyone mention is Trixie Belden.  She was my mystery solving teen hero.  She seemed way more like me (or the me I wanted to be) than Nancy and Cherry and the others who were, for the most part, a fair bit older than I was.  Does anyone still read Trixie I wonder?

Always and forever my favorite!  I still have the whole series (late 70’s/early 80’s era—“oval paperback” editions) proudly displayed in my guest room, which doubles as my library.  Well...all but the last five, which were released after I had kind of aged out of the series. Those are very hard to find, and really expensive when you do locate them 😞

The Trixie books are like comfort food for my brain...every now and then I’ll curl up with one and just relax for the hour (or less, because I practically know them by heart!) it takes to whip through one.

BTW, both my BFF and I have cats named Trixie 🙂

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Homily said:

Trixie was my favorite, I only owned three of her books and I still have them. I must have checked out others from the library because I know I read more than those three.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lovecat said:

BTW, both my BFF and I have cats named Trixie 🙂

Oh yeah, meant to mention I used to tell guys in bars that my name was Trixie because of those books. I loved the name. I'm sure they didn't believe me, but never tell a dude in a bar your real name. 

• Love 3
On 6/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, Homily said:

Yep, another Trixie Belden fan here!  I especially liked the first half dozen or so books when she was very much a tomboy who loved horseback riding since I was pretty horse crazy myself back then.  As I recall, in later books she wasn't as interested in riding and I eventually lost interest.

Linda Craig was my horsey series of choice back then and I still have all of those books.  I thought her living on a ranch was so cool and I would have loved to have a pretty palomino like that.

• Love 2

Anyone remember the Fabulous Five series? They were an updated version of the Against Taffy Sinclair club books (these were in elementary school, the "Five" were in junior high).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Camille said:

Anyone remember the Fabulous Five series? They were an updated version of the Against Taffy Sinclair club books (these were in elementary school, the "Five" were in junior high).

The libraries and book stores in my area didn't really carry them I read the couple books I could get a hold of.

Does anyone remember a elementary age series of 5 girls that started a club I think they called themselves Stars or they took the name from their school bus or initials. They were in the 2nd or 3rd grade or maybe they were 9 or 10 and two of the girls were twins but red heads? I think there were about 20 books. It came out either in the early or mid 90s. 

19 hours ago, Camille said:

On 6/2/2019 at 12:08 AM, catlover79 said:

Wow, four pages in and no mention yet of the Girl Talk books? Each book had a hot pink cover and a different cover picture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Talk_(books)

I remember both of these series. (I was a voracious reader as a kid, lol, and I liked books more than people...come to think of it, I still feel that way!) The Girl Talk book I remember most was when one of the girls joined the hockey team and the boy she's crushing on is on the team and they're jackasses to her but she stands up to them and refuses to leave the team and then it turns out her crush LIKES HER BACK! 

The Fabulous Five book I remember was when one of the girls had bulimia for like a week.

• Love 3

I LOVE Trixie Belden books! My mom used to read them to my older sister and I at bedtime- they were simple enough for me to follow along with and mature enough for my sister (who is 6 years older than me). We always checked them out from the library, but I bought as many as I could find when they did a reprint of some a while ago (like maybe a decade? 15 years?). I think I have the first 10 and then couldn't find any and they're always so expensive when I find them at used book stores. But man, I would love to have a complete set of them. 

(edited)

I'm hopping on the "anybody remember" train as well. 

Anybody know / remember the Mystery Club series by Fiona Kelly (pen name)? Holly, Tracy and Belinda? Jesus I loved those books as a kid. I wonder if the series has even been published in the US (I think it's from the UK originally)? I tried to google, but didn't find much information about it. 🤔

Edited by Rosenrot