Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: By Land and Sea

Fourteen of the worst cooks in America enter culinary boot camp with dreams of putting their kitchen nightmares behind them. Chefs Anne Burrell and Robert Irvine want to see what they're dealing with, so they ask the recruits to make their signature dishes, with truly disastrous results. After being sorted into teams, the recruits dive right into the deep end of the kitchen by learning to make a surf and turf dish. The recruits with the worst dishes on each team are sent home.

FN has given up pretending that this show is something besides a farce with rejects from central casting.  If you really wanted to teach someone to cook, pretty much the very last thing you would start with is live lobsters.  And no adult with half a brain would put sprinkles on eggs.  

And speaking of brains................... The woman who claims to be an EMT scares me.  She talks and acts like her IQ is about 86.  And she's hyper.  I shudder trying to picture her in an emergency situation.  The only one so far who sounds reasonably intelligent is Rudy.  He doesn't look like much but he speaks like he has some smarts behind the padding.

Someone must have told Robert Irvine to cool it.  If I had never seen him before, I wouldn't have minded him.  As it is, I already loathe him but he was tolerable tonight.

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, mlp said:

FN has given up pretending that this show is something besides a farce with rejects from central casting.  If you really wanted to teach someone to cook, pretty much the very last thing you would start with is live lobsters.  And no adult with half a brain would put sprinkles on eggs.  

Agreed. For being the "Worst Cooks," almost none of them made any egregious culinary errors.

I'm glad the Superman Impersonator is gone. 

Yesterday I considered starting some predictions about what goofy stuff we would see. Decided not to, but if I had, my first one would have been someone using an orange rind in the dish. I think boiling a banana peel comes close.

I don't know if I can watch this. The show may have beaten me.

• Love 3

Really! Really? These contestants are really bothersome.

Jessica - sprinkles on a dish? Really?! I thought they only appear on ice cream. Looks like broccoli is the new black.

What is the point of having Robert Irvine on Worst Cooks in America? Is it something he did? Is it because Anne Burrell likes him? Come on, really.

The little cartoons/animations on the show make it even worse! They really distract the viewer from what they are watching. The viewer instead laughs at the animation, returns back to the show, and actually misses what they are cooking. What is the point of animations on this show if they only make the viewer laugh out loud?

I was really grossed out and hoped that they didn’t show the part where they were cutting the lobsters in real life! ??

Sarah - that accent? Really! And you want to marry a cowboy???? Don’t make me want to see Katie from Food Network Star appear in the mirror.

Robbie I already didn’t like. He said he “wants to be himself.” Really? And the whole Superman thing was really annoying. I agreed with his elimination.

Ms. Garlic Powder - Good Lord her plates were messy!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Amarsir said:

Make a Food Network Star be the second host on this. They can't keep the spot filled anyway, so give one of the rookies a workout.

Good idea!

Edited by Simon47
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Simon47 said:

What is the point of having Robert Irvine on Worst Cooks in America? Is it something he did? Is it because Anne Burrell likes him? Come on, really.

It's probably because they couldn't get anyone else.  I'm sure they have to beg people to do it.  Rachael Ray fulfilled her contract and left.

22 hours ago, mlp said:

I miss the first couple of seasons when it looked like there was some real mentoring and learning going on.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Simon47 said:

The little cartoons/animations on the show make it even worse! They really distract the viewer from what they are watching. The viewer instead laughs at the animation, returns back to the show, and actually misses what they are cooking. What is the point of animations on this show if they only make the viewer laugh out loud?

I don't understand the animations either. I already laugh out loud at this mess without the prompting from animations.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Tyler Florence replied on Twitter he couldn't do this season because of a scheduling conflict, but would be back next season. (As I posted in the Media thread.)

I miss Husband Tyler on this show.

• Love 1

The September issue of FN Magazine has an interview with Anne.  In it, she mentions that she was in Italy at the same time as Rachael Ray and describes her as "my best friend."  I was surprised because, watching them on Worst Cooks over several seasons, I wasn't sure they even liked each other.  I guess Rachael left the show for reasons of her own.  I enjoyed Tyler a lot more anyway.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 4

I like the concept for this series and have even purchased a number of the older shows, but good grief, they are really trying my patience. The stupid talking heads, the constant music and sound effects - just shut up and cook. If these guys are truly bad cooks, there will be enough hilarity if you just let them be themselves (I don't know how people get to adulthood and be this dumb, but apparently they can). I just wanted everyone to calm down so I could watch the show and try to get a handle on the contestants.  

btw - Irvine was a co-host on an earlier season of WCA. He doesn't bother me, so I was glad to see him come back. He's not as rough on the contestants as he could be, given his personality. 

• Love 3

The rumor was that Worst Cooks Celebrity Edition was born when RR refused to work with Guy again and they grafted the "two chefs compete to teach hapless celebs" concept onto Worst Cooks.  As for getting along with Ann, she's incredibly competitive and not particularly nice about, but she generally seems to be able to let it go once the game is over.  In one season with Tyler she got particularly nasty with him in the finale and it was clearly not scripted acting, yet he continues to do the show.  If I had to guess, of all her rivals on the show it's her and Robert that really don't get along.  Neither are very good losers, or winners, and Ann seemed to particularly and genuinely love  Robert's nose in his loss, both on Worst Cooks and Chopped.  The only potentially interesting thing in this season is seeing how they interact with each other.   

• Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 8:40 PM, chessiegal said:

Tyler Florence replied on Twitter he couldn't do this season because of a scheduling conflict, but would be back next season. (As I posted in the Media thread.)

Thank goodness!  I wasn't happy to see the return of Irvine and was hoping it wasn't permanent. Tyler and Anne balance each other nicely. Tyler is competitive but not in your face, like Anne and Robert are against each other. 

• Love 3
On 8/13/2018 at 11:20 PM, mlp said:

The September issue of FN Magazine has an interview with Anne.  In it, she mentions that she was in Italy at the same time as Rachael Ray and describes her as "my best friend."  I was surprised because, watching them on Worst Cooks over several seasons, I wasn't sure they even liked each other.  I guess Rachael left the show for reasons of her own.  I enjoyed Tyler a lot more anyway.

Rachael has Anne on her talk show a lot so I already knew they were friendly.  It makes sense, both are from upstate NY and all.  I wonder about Rachael's status with FN these days.  After she left "Worst Cooks" I don't think she's on any FN shows anymore.  I always wondered if she had fulfilled her contract and for some unknown reason didn't renew.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, Maverick said:

The rumor was that Worst Cooks Celebrity Edition was born when RR refused to work with Guy again and they grafted the "two chefs compete to teach hapless celebs" concept onto Worst Cooks.  

I have been looking for the source of this rumor for ages and have turned up nothing online.  I remember hearing that too and have always wanted to know more.  I think I remember the rumor went that Rachael got pissed at Guy for cheating or something like that on the "Rachael vs. Guy Kids Cookoff" series they had together.  I always theorized that she did a couple of seasons with Anne because she may have had a contract to fulfill.

I think I remember the rumor went that Rachael got pissed at Guy for cheating or something like that on the "Rachael vs. Guy Kids Cookoff" series they had together.  

I've read that rumor several times but never any more than that and I've wondered what it was all about.  If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the big, heavy-set kid named Hunter.  Not sure of that though.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, mlp said:

I've read that rumor several times but never any more than that and I've wondered what it was all about.  If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the big, heavy-set kid named Hunter.  Not sure of that though.

I've always wanted to know about this too. If anyone knows please tell us. If I recall correctly that show was cumulative scoring as not to offend any of the special snowflake children by eliminating them so I'm not sure how you could cheat at that.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Amarsir said:

I don't know if I can watch this. The show may have beaten me.

It did me in.  I started to watch, got through the team assignments and the menu lesson, but could not take any more and deleted it and the series from my DVR.  I will stop in here now and then to see how these fame whores are doing, but I just can't take it any more.  It's not a guilty pleasure...it's just plain embarrassing.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, mlp said:

And speaking of brains................... The woman who claims to be an EMT scares me.  She talks and acts like her IQ is about 86. 

Yeah, I can't figure out if some of these people are genuinely as stupid as they appear on this show, or if some of it is acting.  

But the EMT - was she also the one who put SPRINKLES on her dish?  She HAD to be acting, right?  I mean, you can't know how to save lives and still be that stupid, can you? 

But I've always said that the best way to WIN this show is to pretend to be absolutely clueless in the kitchen, and then start to improve, a little at a time, as the season progresses. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5