Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Sequel

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Trisha said:

From what I’ve read it sounded like he pushed for Felicity to have the last scene by herself for her last ep. He also seemed to console the people who were upset and told them Felicity and Oliver were together, but I didn’t get the impression he was responsible for that part.

Yes, that's how I took it too. Felicity alone to honour the character, and reassuring people that Oliver and Felicity do get together at the end.

• Love 1
(edited)

The season descriptions are always very vague but here we are. Hopefully at today’s upfronts we’ll also find out what ep the crossover lands in:

As such, in the 10-episode Season 8 — which will air on Tuesdays at 9/8c, leading out of its original spinoff, The Flash — Oliver, “in the wake of discovering what his future holds, will find himself pit against his most challenging battle yet, one that will leave the multiverse hanging in the balance,” says the synopsis revealed at The CW’s Upfronts. “In Arrow’s final season, Oliver Queen is forced to confront the reality of what it means to be a hero.”

Edited by Trisha
(edited)

If Oliver will be traveling with the Monitor around the multiverse next season, then's that's one way to bring back past characters (dead and alive) and for callbacks to things that have happened in past seasons. He can run into AU versions of other characters or see AU versions of past events on other Earths. (I would also bet that there's one episode in which he goes to Earth-2 and fights alongside E2 Laurel/BC.)

It would be like Avengers: Endgame in terms of paying homage to history through callbacks and cameos from past actors.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

He’s recruiting and Siren doesn’t need recruiting. And she can already pop over to our earth on a dime. I don’t see why he would need to go over there. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This is probably less a spoiler and more of a Captain Obvious news item, but anyway...

‘Arrow’: The CW “Would Love To Have” Emily Bett Rickards Back For Final Season
By Peter White International Co-Editor  May 16, 2019
https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-cw-arrow-emily-bett-rickards-1202616263/

The CW is looking for ways to bring back Emily Bett Rickards in some capacity for the final season of Arrow.

President Mark Pedowitz admitted that the network would “love to have” Bett Rickards, who played tech-savant Felicity Smoak, back.

“Emily was terrific in the show and we believe that Beth Schwartz did a great job wrapping up the storyline last year. If Beth can find a way to bring her back that makes sense and Emily is available, we’d love to have her. Otherwise, I’m pleased with the way they said goodbye to the character,” Pedowitz said on The CW’s press upfronts call.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

CW boss on if Emily Bett Rickards will return for final Arrow season
By Chancellor Agard   May 16, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/16/arrow-cw-president-on-if-emily-bett-rickards-will-return-for-final-season/ 

Rickards exited the long-running superhero drama as a series regular in Monday’s season 7 finale; however, due the season’s dual timeline narrative (a present-day and a future storyline), there is some wiggle room that would allow Felicity return in the 10-episode eighth season, which will air this fall. And CW president Mark Pedowitz told reporters on Thursday that he is open to the actress making an appearance in the final season.

“Emily was terrific on the show, and we believe Beth Schwartz did a great job wrapping up Felicity’s storyline [in the finale],” said Pedowitz. “If Beth can find a way to bring her back in a way that makes sense and Emily is available, we’d love to have her. Otherwise I’m pleased at how the way they said goodbye to the character.”

The CW 'Would Love to Have' Arrow's Emily Bett Rickards Return in Final Season
By Sadie Gennis | @sadiegennis | May 16, 2019
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-ending-season-8-mark-pedowitz-emily-bett-rickards/ 

Even though Arrow still has its 10-episode final season left before Oliver (Stephen Amell) shoots his last quill, Monday's season finale marked the last one for star Emily Bett Rickards, who has played Felicity Smoak since Season 1. However, during a call with reporters on Friday, The CW president Mark Pedowitz revealed that there is still a chance Rickards could return for one last goodbye in the superhero show's eighth season.

"Emily was terrific in the show, and we believe [showrunner] Beth Schwartz did a great job wrapping up the storyline last year," Pedowitz said. "If Beth can find a way to bring her back that make sense and Emily is available, we'd love to have her. Otherwise I'm pleased with how we said goodbye to the character."
Even if we don't get to see Felicity one last time, Pedowitz revealed that the network would be honoring everything Arrow has accomplished since it premiered in 2012 with "a retrospective to celebrate the eight seasons." That should give us plenty of vintage Olicity content to get nostalgic over at the very least, and at this point we will take whatever we can get of the Arrowverse's arguably cutest couple.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow Final Season Synopsis Released
By JENNA ANDERSON - May 16, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/16/arrow-spoilers-season-8-final-season-oliver-queen-dies-synopsis-crisis-on-infinite-earths/ 

After a mind-blowing season finale, fans are eager to find out what exactly Arrow's eighth and final season has in store -- and we appear to have gotten our first look. In conjunction with The CW's Upfronts presentation, the network has debuted a new synopsis for Arrow's final run, which you can check out below.

"After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the North China Sea. He returned home to Star City, bent on righting the wrongs done by his family and fighting injustice. As the Green Arrow, Oliver successfully saved his city with the help of his team including former soldier John Diggle (David Ramsey), computer-science expert Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), former protégé Roy Harper (Colton Haynes), street-savvy Rene Ramirez (Rick Gonzalez), metahuman Dinah Drake (Juliana Harkavy), brilliant inventor Curtis Holt (Echo Kellum) and Earth-2 Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). In the wake of discovering what his future holds, Oliver will find himself pit against his most challenging battle yet, one that will leave the multiverse hanging in the balance. In Arrow’s final season, Oliver Queen is forced to confront the reality of what it means to be a hero.

Based on the characters from DC, ARROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Supergirl,” “Riverdale”), Beth Schwartz (“DC’s Legends of Tomorrow”) and Sarah Schechter (“The Flash,” “Supergirl,” “Riverdale”)."

The CW 2019 Fall Schedule: ‘Batwoman’ Joins ‘Supergirl’ on Sundays 
BY REBECCA MURRAY ON MAY 16, 2019
https://www.showbizjunkies.com/news/the-cw-2019-fall-schedule-batwoman-katy-keene/

Details on The CW’s New and Returning Series:
ARROW – After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the North China Sea. He returned home to Star City, bent on righting the wrongs done by his family and fighting injustice.

As the Green Arrow, Oliver successfully saved his city with the help of his team including former soldier John Diggle (David Ramsey), computer-science expert Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), former protégé Roy Harper (Colton Haynes), street-savvy Rene Ramirez (Rick Gonzalez), metahuman Dinah Drake (Juliana Harkavy), brilliant inventor Curtis Holt (Echo Kellum) and Earth-2 Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). In the wake of discovering what his future holds, Oliver will find himself pit against his most challenging battle yet, one that will leave the multiverse hanging in the balance. In Arrow’s final season, Oliver Queen is forced to confront the reality of what it means to be a hero.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Chaser said:

He’s recruiting and Siren doesn’t need recruiting. And she can already pop over to our earth on a dime. I don’t see why he would need to go over there. 

If he goes to Earth 2, it’ll probably be more about seeing Robert Queen (E2’s version of GA) than anyone else. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

If Oliver will be traveling with the Monitor around the multiverse next season, then's that's one way to bring back past characters (dead and alive) and for callbacks to things that have happened in past seasons. He can run into AU versions of other characters or see AU versions of past events on other Earths. (I would also bet that there's one episode in which he goes to Earth-2 and fights alongside E2 Laurel/BC.)

It would be like Avengers: Endgame in terms of paying homage to history through callbacks and cameos from past actors.

I think the chance of him recruiting BS is like 0.1%. I think the priority will be recruiting heroes we do not see on our world. 

They'll probably have Oliver run into one of his doppelgangers if he's traveling to different Earths. They didn't get to have fun with it during Earth-X so this would be an opportunity for shenanigans if they want to go there.

Arrow: The CW to Air a Retrospective Episode as Part of Final Season
By JENNA ANDERSON - May 16, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/16/arrow-spoilers-season-8-final-season-retrospective-episode/ 

While speaking to reporters ahead of the network's Upfronts presentation, The CW president Mark Pedowitz spoke about the show's upcoming final batch of episodes. Not only did Pedowitz confirm the number of episodes in the final season, but he hinted that there will be some sort of additional special celebrating the show.

"Arrow is ten episodes, plus a retrospective to celebrate the eighth season," Pedowitz revealed.

4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Not that I've seen, but we know it takes place in 2019 (since Oliver's supposed to die during the Crisis and his tombstone says he dies in 2019).

Yeah, I figured the whole show would end in 2019, I was just curious about whether it was going to also serve as Arrow's finale, if it's the episode before, etc.

(edited)

FYI, this is being updated live now...

Deadline’s The CW Upfronts Presentation Live Blog
By Peter White    May 16, 2019
https://deadline.com/2019/05/cw-2019-upfronts-presentation-live-blog-1202616306/

Media buyers are gathered at New York City Center on West 55th St. to hear The CW president Mark Pedowitz talk up his new fall schedule, including 12 hours of original scripted programming – a lap ahead of Fox’s seven.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I'm very confused by the "five hours over two quarters" comments. What does that mean??

I'd guess that 3 shows will have their Crisis episodes in 2019 (probably Supergirl but maybe Batwoman, Flash, and Arrow for Sunday/Tuesday or make it a special Monday-Tuesday) and that 2 shows will have theirs in 2020 (Batwoman/Supergirl on Sunday and Monday LoT if it returns in that slot for Midseason or also a switch to Monday/Tuesday for the special if LoT takes Arrow's spot)?

Edited by way2interested
(edited)

I could see an alternate Felicity coming back or flashbacks, or maybe even during the crossover. If they haven't already got something for the reunion in the finale I hope she's able to film something but If not then Oliver's POV on seeing her with maybe a replay of her going with the Monitor would work.

I could see Oliver running in to alternate Laurels ( possibly even where they were "happy" together ala the100th) and almost certainly a Tommy and maybe his parents and any other former guest stars that are available. Whilst he doesn't need to really recruit Siren doesn't mean they won't do something with them on E2 I suppose.

Edited by Featherhat
Merged post
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I'd guess that 3 shows will have their Crisis episodes in 2019 (probably Supergirl but maybe Batwoman, Flash, and Arrow for Sunday/Tuesday or make it a special Monday-Tuesday) and that 2 shows will have theirs in 2020 (Batwoman/Supergirl on Sunday and Monday LoT if it returns in that slot for Midseason or also a switch to Monday/Tuesday for the special if LoT takes Arrow's spot)?

I guess they could do three shows in the fall for the first part of Crisis (with Oliver dying), and then if the Arrow's finale changes Oliver's fate, the next two crossover episodes after the winter break could address that. 

I hope they announce the date of the crossover soon. I just need reassurance that it's not the final Arrow episode, and we'll get one or two eps to close out the show on its own. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I could see an alternate Felicity coming back or flashbacks, or maybe even during the crossover. If they haven't already got something for the reunion in the finale I hope she's able to film something but If not then Oliver's POV on seeing her with maybe a replay of her going with the Monitor would work.

I could see Oliver running in to alternate Laurels ( possibly even where they were "happy" together ala the100th) and almost certainly a Tommy and maybe his parents and any other former guest stars that are available. Whilst he doesn't need to really recruit Siren doesn't mean they won't do something with them on E2 I suppose.

I am really baffled why people are so fixated on this lol. 

• Love 1
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I am really baffled why people are so fixated on this lol. 

On the Laurel part? Because we know she's coming back next season and it's a different way to use her and something for KC. Note I not saying there will be an alt. LL/OQ romance. They could also use alternate Diggles (John Stewart etc) Dinahs and Renes........

I think it's possible Siren will continue to "redeem" herself by participating in COIE, There doesn't have to be a lot of interaction between her and Oliver since they have barely done so since she re joined but I wouldn't say there's no chance.

Edited by Featherhat
Just now, Featherhat said:

On the Laurel part? Because we know she's coming back next season and it's a different way to use her and something for KC. Note I not saying there will be an alt. LL/IS romance. They could also use alternate Diggles (John Stewart etc) Dinahs and Renes........

I think it's possible Siren will continue to "redeem" herself by participating in COIE, There doesn't have to be a lot of interaction between her and Oliver since they have barely done so since she re joined but I wouldn't say there's no chance.

I think BS is going to have a role in FF, not so much in the present time. While i am sure we will get e90 Diggle because he has a whole new skill set than E1 Diggle, i am not sure what the others could actually do that would be different. Also what the show has shown us is that Oliver couldnt give a shit about E2 LL. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Trisha said:

I'm very confused by the "five hours over two quarters" comments. What does that mean??

Per Variety:

The “Crisis on Infinite Earths” storyline will take place over five episodes slated for broadcast in December and January, CW President Mark Pedowitz said Friday – three in late 2019 and two in early 2020.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Unfortunately that does seem like Arrow’s series finale will be Crisis. 

Or the arrow has its crossover episode in December and LOT and Batwoman in January. And Arrow finale airs one week after these 2. 

39 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Or the arrow has its crossover episode in December and LOT and Batwoman in January. And Arrow finale airs one week after these 2. 

True. They could do a whole series finale event. 

I’m assuming the worst only because they tend to make these mistakes with Arrow (not chem testing their original endgame romance, the 100th debacle). 

• Love 1

Arrowverse's 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' 5-Part Crossover Will Include Legends and Span Midseason Break
TV Line, Matt Webb Mitovich

The CW president Mark Pedowitz announced on Thursday at the network’s Upfront presentation that the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” team-up event will be told in five parts over two quarters — meaning, it will start in December and then conclude early in the new year, following the midseason break.

TVLine has since confirmed with sources that the five shows taking part in the crossover will be Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Batwoman (which premieres this fall) and Legends. Three of the five parts will air in December, and the other two — including an episode of Legends, which this year premieres at midseason — will follow in early 2020. (It is unclear at this time what the second show airing its crossover episode in the new year will be.)

• Useful 1

I could see the show ending with Crisis. They pretty much concluded Arrow's story in this year's finale. 

The only thing we're missing info on is how exactly the anti-vigilante stuff takes root and becomes what we see in the future. If that doesn't start happening next year, then they really don't have much to show apart from defeating the Ninth Circle, and the team could do that in present time before the crossover happens. 

If Oliver's ~death sticks, then there really isn't much to explore - we've already seen the aftermath of it in the flash forwards.

If Oliver's death doesn't stick, then we could just see a shot of him reuniting with Felicity and Mia (assuming Emily returns or they've shot this scene already) or just returning to the cabin and walking inside with a, "Felicity?" so that we know the timeline has changed.

Most of what happens after would be left up to our imagination anyway.

• Love 1

Well I think the flash forward stuff will probably stick but that the "death" is like he other times when he's been presumed dead and they put the grave up because he might as well be for most people. It might also depend on how likely they think a Legacy spin off is when seriously getting the details finalised, if they haven't done so already.

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

I could see the show ending with Crisis. They pretty much concluded Arrow's story in this year's finale. 

I agree.  Arrow got it's series finale already and what comes next season is just lead up to the crossover and whatever bits they have room for.  But I don't see Arrow getting any follow up episodes after Crisis, not when it goes to a winter hiatus before the final two parts of Crisis play.  I think Arrow will be gone at that point.  There might be some kind of coda for Arrow in it's final episode but yeah, I think season seven felt so much like a series finale because it essentially will have to serve as one.  

Is there any actual hint at a spin-off as of now? Besides the whole 716 aspect and the number of new characters and stuff. Like I totally think that was the intention, but is that still a go for I guess what would be the 2020-2021 season?

At a guess, it depends on how Batwoman  does, how the Arrow flash forwards do next season, and how long Grant Gustin wants to play The Flash.

12 hours ago, Chaser said:

They need to fill 9 episodes before the COIE.  I can see an episode of Oliver visiting E2 to see Laurel and we get to see what's going on there, and then recruiting her for the big fight.

Is it just me or does Pedowitz sound like an ungrateful d$ckhead?

"If it makes sense" my a$$. You tried to launch a 1000 canaries, brought back someone who can barely act and shoe horned her in despite her being totally irrelevant and it needs to make sense for EBR to come back?

I hope his new shows tank and I hope fandom checks out and avoids giving them any buzz.

The crossover will be joyless without EBR but sadly I don't think she'll come back. She doesn't need the work.

I think our best and perhaps only bet is if SA can convince her. 

Thank goodness 722 ended with ultimate Olicity epicness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

"If it makes sense" my a$$. You tried to launch a 1000 canaries, brought back someone who can barely act and shoe horned her in despite her being totally irrelevant and it needs to make sense for EBR to come back?

He doesn't sound like an ungrateful dickhead to me. 

He said he thought Emily was terrific and that Beth did a good job at wrapping up her storyline - and she did. If he considers Felicity's storyline to be finished, of course he would want a return to make sense in that context. As much as I enjoy Felicity and Emily, I don't know that there's much point in her coming back if they aren't changing the timeline. I would personally rather the last moments I remember of Felicity be what we saw in 7x22. It was the perfect ending for her.

That said, I'm sure that Beth wouldn't have to do much to make a return "make sense" if Emily wanted to do it, and I'm also sure that Pedowitz would jump at the chance to have her back if they could make it work. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

He was never going to say "Please oh please, EBR, come back. We'll pay you exorbitant amount of money." or "She's definitely coming back. Do you want to know which episodes and the timecodes specifically?" He just means, if she does come back, that it's not going to be putting her in for the sake of putting her in order to honor her exiting scenes. Since he's the one who made sure she was kept on in the first place, of course he's grateful

26 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I hope his new shows tank and I hope fandom checks out and avoids giving them any buzz.

So Nancy Drew and etc. shows have to tank because of Arrow?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, way2interested said:

So Nancy Drew and etc. shows have to tank because of Arrow?

What's little old me cursing some rich bloke at CW going to matter in the scheme of the universe?

26 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Meh, I think they all pretty much have the same approved talking points, including Beth: they love Emily, they’d love for her to come back, but they’re happy with how her story wrapped. Until she officially signs on to confirm they can’t really say anything else (and maybe they won’t even after that if they want to keep it a surprise). The fact that they’re still all so gushy about her makes me pretty confident they’ll do everything in their power to get her back, but they don’t want to make or break the finale over it.

If Pedowitz came off a tinge saltier than Beth, it might be because Amell bailed on the upfronts at the last minute. They had a pretty nice Supernatural farewell with the leads during the presentation; I assume Arrow was supposed to get something similar.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

What's little old me cursing some rich bloke at CW going to matter in the scheme of the universe?

😅 Nothing, I just don't know what wanting Katy Keene or Nancy Drew to tank have anything to do with anything. It's those productions that would get way more punished than MP ever would.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, way2interested said:

😅 Nothing, I just don't know what wanting Katy Keene or Nancy Drew to tank have anything to do with anything. It's those productions that would get way more punished than MP ever would.

Random cursing and poxing rarely makes sense 😊

That's the fun of it.

32 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

That said, I'm sure that Beth wouldn't have to do much to make a return "make sense" if Emily wanted to do it, and I'm also sure that Pedowitz would jump at the chance to have her back if they could make it work. 

Felicity on one of the other Earths Oliver is visiting to pick up more superheroes.

We've seen her on Earth-X, they can write her on another Earth where there is no Oliver and have E1 Oliver be all conflicted.

And the show's finale, of course. I think they would try very hard to get her back for that.

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Felicity on one of the other Earths Oliver is visiting to pick up more superheroes.

We've seen her on Earth-X, they can write her on another Earth where there is no Oliver and have E1 Oliver be all conflicted.

And the show's finale, of course. I think they would try very hard to get her back for that.

😍😍😍

I would love to see EBR as another version (or 3) of Felicity. Probably my first thought when she announced her end in s7 was that I wouldn't get to see her play another version of Felicity 😣😣😣😢😢😢😭😭😭

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If it's just to be around in the present day post Oliver's death, I hope Emily tells them no. 

If they're changing the timeline, I'm all for it. Come back, please!

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I want to see them reunite through the portal. At the very end. 

Me too but I am thinking if Arrow ends the first half of CrisisOIE, then it will be on the SHOCK of Oliver dying or at least seeming to die, thus no room for a portal reunion which a happy ending would get in the way of a cliffhanger.  The first half is bound to be Infinity Wars to the second half's Endgame.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Me too but I am thinking if Arrow ends the first half of CrisisOIE, then it will be on the SHOCK of Oliver dying or at least seeming to die, thus no room for a portal reunion which a happy ending would get in the way of a cliffhanger.  The first half is bound to be Infinity Wars to the second half's Endgame.  

Good call.

Re a mini me spin off BS was talking about it in April so it doesn't sound completely dead in the water yet.

https://tvline.com/2019/04/05/lucifer-season-4-spoilers-chloe-learns-lucifer-secret/

Did SA bail on the upfronts, didn't realise he was supposed to be there.

With EBR it just sounds standard to me, full of praise but not coming from a fan pov but selling ad time for next season. And they probably wouldn't say anything about a pre filmed but for the crossover/finale anyway.

I wouldn't mind if there was a scene of her post "death" since it isn't any such thing imho but it isn't necessary with what we already have, especially if they do a similar scene from Oliver's pov. I enjoyed Felicity X so I wouldn't mind an alternate popping up as well.

• Love 1