Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Peach Pit

• Start Topic

Actually, we're not doing "General Discussion" topics here, if you want to talk about a character and there isn't already a topic you can make one, same goes for show music, production notes etc. We're trying to avoid "catch all" type topics that end up being thousand page long threads. I'm going to lock this but leave it here to help explain what's going on. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Thanks!

Oops. Looks like I forgot to pin the Small Talk thread a while ago. 

In other news here's what 40.5 inches of snow looks like. I cannot stop sharing this picture (not mine, a friend's, though I am in the same snow storm... I just don't drink wine).

SpfU9Ey.jpg

• Love 1

Oh that video made me so angry I'm not sure I can restrain my Dylan-hate until we get to it on the podcast. "Because we OWE IT TO YOU, BREN." Ugh. Just because you're a seventy-year-old stick insect doesn't mean you get to bray at the girl you cheated on because she's upset. Shut up. 

(Voted for it though. Such great/terrible TV.)

• Love 3

Does anyone remember which episode it is that there's a clip that mentions the phrase "beat(ing?) around the bush" and then Sarah says "Whose bush is getting beaten now?" That comment jumped into my head today when Stuart's dad said that line in one of the clips and now I want to listen to it again.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Eh? Well, I "see" you and your post...so...yay?

I was messing around with pinning some posts and got a little... shall we say OCD about trying to get them in an order (which apparently doesn't work BTW. The pinned posts move around within themselves based on most recent comment) so I was posting in all the pinned posts! GAH! BUT! Upside, I hunted down the General Discussion threads for the show because some people were looking for them as a place to have a more generalized discussion of seasons rather than talking about that stuff in the Again With This threads. 

• Love 1

They keep having these conventions in Chicago.

I have gotten ads for ones One Tree Hill themed a million times this year. And I totally would go. I just don't have any friends anymore who watch(ed) so would have to go alone. Also I work basically everyday so would have to get someone to cover for me blah blah. 

They had another cast show convention that was Star Trek the Next Gan or BattleStar Gallatica themed my friend Raul went to. 

I was home from work yesterday, all curled up with a thunderstorm and laundry, and flipped on the POP network, where they have started the series over with the original pilot. Rejoice! It was just what I needed. I didn't even watch it, just had it on. The soothing sounds of Brenda saying "laywyer" and ordering a banana dacquiri, and Brandon fumbling through dating the class rich girl was food for my soul. And then I had a new thought. You know how the writers always gave weird, non-trendy names to characters? Like "Donna", for instance, and there are many more examples of this. I always thought it was weird that the rich party girl's name was "Mary Anne". Like, if her parents were such rock stars, wouldn't they give their baby a cooler name? But now that I am older, I realize the writers meant to name her "Marianne", like after Marianne Faithfull. A fact completely lost on teenagers of the nineties. I can imagine Aaron Spelling not having a clue enough to hire young hip  '90s writers, and this accounts for the weird fuddy-duddy stuff of the early seasons.

• Love 2

I wonder if some of the writers were ones who wrote for shows like Dynasty.  Although oddly enough, THOSE names would have been great: Alexis, Krystal, Fallon, Blake, Dex... Hillsters would totally have had those soapy names.  Only Brenda/Brandon would have had those normal names like Jennifer, Sarah, Cindy or Mike, David, Jason. 

Maybe one of the issues was that the actors all had common names and the writers didn't want to duplicate it?

• Love 1

This is getting into the Freakanomics topic regarding names.  Hillsters would def have exclusive sounding names.  I would say that Lauren, Whitney would have been in the top for that time (then they trickled down so the Laguna Beach folks would be named that).  We did have racist Brooke, and that's a classic soap opera name. 

On 12/19/2023 at 11:18 PM, Norma Desmond said:

I asked an AI image generator for a Brenda and Dylan wedding pic and got this (at least they got Luke's forehead right) image.thumb.png.fdb0f1b282d87d4164c952161fb27e38.png

Luke looks very much like he did at the end of his life. Shannon’s lower face is off. Her face is heart shaped even with middle age and illness. The AI resembles her, but looks like a sibling or a cousin, not her if that makes sense. 

• Like 1