Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09 Episode 9

• Start Topic

the 2 parts were confusing. too much to think about. her murder was hard to watch. i'll hand it to them that this was pretty gruesome and probably realistic. she did a good job at dying. horrible to think she may have been alive and unable to move when he threw her in the water. this was a pretty nightmare inducing murder. well done but i will certainly not rewatch.

what is this place allison was living in? a rental? because it was one cruddy looking apartment for someone who lives in that part of long island and probably has some money although come to think of it when was the last time she worked. i ff'd a lot so i probably missed some things. 

• Love 1

what is this place allison was living in? a rental? because it was one cruddy looking apartment for someone who lives in that part of long island and probably has some money although come to think of it when was the last time she worked. i ff'd a lot so i probably missed some things. 

I think that it was the same place she rented when she came back to town after being hospitalized. At that time, I don't think she had much money - only what was left after she sold her grandparents house (but then spent a ton of money to house herself and Noah in NYC) plus whatever she was bringing in as part-owner of the Lobster Roll with Cole. It was nice enough but definitely dated - those kitchen cabinets definitely date to the 80's but the oceanfront landscape, it would seem, would be pretty pricey.

• Love 5
On 8/13/2018 at 1:34 AM, Bitsy said:

It's not shown, but I think it's pretty obvious.  It was at that moment that Allison decided to take a glance at Ben's phone to look at those angry text messages he said he'd been getting all afternoon from the wife he claimed to have broken up with.  And of course, what Allison saw on his phone proved that he was lying.  That gave Allison the excuse she needed to kill herself and blame it on him.

When you say "kill herself and blame it on him," do you mean in the sense of concocting a fantasy for herself that absolves herself of responsibility? Or do you mean in the sense of framing him for her "murder"? I like the grisly film noir aspects of that idea, even though I can't figure out how she'd pull it off.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

When you say "kill herself and blame it on him," do you mean in the sense of concocting a fantasy for herself that absolves herself of responsibility? 

Yeah, that's what I meant - just Allison mentally assigning the blame for her suicide to Ben so she can continue to feel like the victim.

I re-watched episodes 8 and 9. I'm certain now that the 2nd POV in episode 9 is the reality.

The band-aid is the proof.  I firmly believe Ben killed her.

Morgue shot with the band-aid on the middle finger.

vlcsnap-00003.jpg

Alison placing a band-aid on her middle finger after cutting herself on the faucet.

vlcsnap-00002.jpg

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, lampwick said:

Speaking of phones on the chargers... during the whole first part I was thinking, okay what causes her to kill herself...and then she said something about doing the dishes after laying with Ben, and I thought, she’s going to go inside and check his phone and see a message from his wife that says something like I love you, can’t wait to see you...etc., and Alison will realize that this was all a fraud and loses it.  But then the second version started, and I was like what the what?  

Exactly what I thought would happen, too.  I think the writers wanted us to think that was what would be coming.  Little did we know what was actually coming was 100x worse. 

BTW- love how she fantasized about the better interior. The wood accent walls & fireplace were beautiful.  I kept thinking, "huh? But I remembered her apartment being pretty modest, and certainly she would not have made improvements because she rents it."  In the second version her apartment was back to normal- no fireplace, no accent walls, furniture that looked a bit shabby-chic like it was already there when she moved in... and I knew, "oh my god, fantasy over.  Now here we go..."

• Love 8

I rewatched episode 8. You don't think that detective thought that Alison could have been murdered and dumped into the water while she was still alive? How many people who commit suicide do it by drowning themselves? The detective said it was not his first time at this. He said they questioned Ben and Ben had an alibi. An alibi means he was not near her home during the time frame she died. Also, there was blood if Ben killed Alison. You don't think they used their equipment to check for cleaned up blood spills? You think Ben could have cleaned up that house to not leave any traces of detectable blood? So something is not right... I think if the detective said she drowned herself, he might be right. 

Alison was always fragile and never wrapped too tight. The first version may have been right and maybe she did see some text messages that were painful to her and broke her heart. Maybe she did commit suicide. Maybe she felt that Ben killed her with his lies. 

Alison may have a band aid on her finger but that is not enough to indicate the second version proves Ben murdered Alison. I think the death of Alison has yet to be solved. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, DakotaLavender said:

I rewatched episode 8. You don't think that detective thought that Alison could have been murdered and dumped into the water while she was still alive? How many people who commit suicide do it by drowning themselves? The detective said ti was not his first time at this. He said they questioned Ben and Ben had an alibi. An alibi means he was not near her home during the time frame she died. So something is not right...

Alison may have a band aid on her finger but that is not enough to indicate the second version proves Ben murdered Alison. I think the death of Alison has yet to be solved. 

I did not mean to imply it proved he murdered her, just my belief that he did. I do however believe the band-aid proves the 2nd POV was the reality.

• Love 6

I noticed that the window treatments were different. Roman shades in one version and rods with tiers in the other. Alison IMO presented as someone whose interior life was impoverished ... yet her fantasies were richly inventive. I've never been clear about what the attention to details like that signified. 

• Love 2

The band-aid angle makes sense, especially since it was presented to us for a reason (?), until I stop to consider that I can barely keep a band-aid on during a shower or during a few minutes of swimming. That it stayed on for days in the ocean seems a bit of a stretch. Yet it must be significant, because it was presented to us. I've chased my tail more with this show than any other show I've watched ... 

• Love 12

I complain about this show every week...mostly to myself and the cast.   I hate-watched both parts and had determined I'd never watch again--until that FABULOUS surprise!   Okay, I'm back for awhile, but I still can't find a single cast member I appreciate.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, preeya said:

I did not mean to imply it proved he murdered her, just my belief that he did. I do however believe the band-aid proves the 2nd POV was the reality.

The band aid only proves that the part in the 2nd POV where she puts a band aid on is probably true. Doesn’t mean the rest of it is...!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lesmisfits29 said:

The band aid only proves that the part in the 2nd POV where she puts a band aid on is probably true. Doesn’t mean the rest of it is...!

That's where I am. 

@DakotaLavender, I'm surprised you write that "the death of Alison has yet to be solved," because you make a very convincing case in your first paragraph that it has been! The competence and thoroughness of the detective (which were established in Season 1), combined with his firm conviction about cause of death, combined with (as you say) the complete lack of evidence in Alison's apartment of a murder, all point to suicide.

The show has established that when an emotional state is disturbed enough, a "POV" can go beyond normal subjectivity to include completely delusional material. Noah's imagining of the knife attack upon him, followed by his visions of being stalked by the prison guard, showed us this. If anything, Alison's mental state of late has been more fragile than Noah's was.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

That's where I am. 

@DakotaLavender, I'm surprised you write that "the death of Alison has yet to be solved," because you make a very convincing case in your first paragraph that it has been! The competence and thoroughness of the detective (which were established in Season 1), combined with his firm conviction about cause of death, combined with (as you say) the complete lack of evidence in Alison's apartment of a murder, all point to suicide.

The show has established that when an emotional state is disturbed enough, a "POV" can go beyond normal subjectivity to include completely delusional material. Noah's imagining of the knife attack upon him, followed by his visions of being stalked by the prison guard, showed us this. If anything, Alison's mental state of late has been more fragile than Noah's was.

I said that because even though the competent detective said it was suicide, many others here say the band-aid on her finger proves part 2. So I just said it has not been "solved," which I suppose I meant that we have not seen episode 10 yet which may show exactly what did happen.

Please change my use of the word "solved" to " conclusively shown" to the viewers. Sorry about that. I read the great opinions of others and get all mixed up as the thread moves forward. 

I saw season 3 and all of Noah's delusions. So I know that this is how the show unfolds. So i am going with suicide and the detective's version because as he said, he has seen it before. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I said that because even though the competent detective said it was suicide, many others here say the band-aid on her finger proves part 2. So I just said it has not been "solved," which I suppose I meant that we have not seen episode 10 yet which may show exactly what did happen.

Please change my use of the word "solved" to " conclusively shown" to the viewers. Sorry about that. I read the great opinions of others and get all mixed up as the thread moves forward. 

I saw season 3 and all of Noah's delusions. So I know that this is how the show unfolds. So i am going with suicide and the detective's version because as he said, he has seen it before. 

Police detectives are wrong all the time.  Simply because he said he's seen the markings of suicide before doesn't mean that he's right.  As far as Ben's alibi goes, all it takes is a lying bartender.

• Love 4

Then again, the detective's conclusions were conveyed to us only via another character's POV and therein lies the rub if we are supposed to accept the unreliable narrator device. The writers have manipulated us to the point where, for example, a character presents us with A, B, C, D and E, and we are persuaded by the device to discount B and E but to decide that A, C and D are valid. This is like the jury instruction which declares that jurors can disregard all of a witness' testimony if part of that testimony is false. I think most of us think that same way IRL: "if you lie to me about this (and that), what else are you lying to me about?" The device was novel and intriguing in the beginning but has now evolved to a point which practically requires using a spread sheet to decide whether or not a character was stalked and/or stabbed.

In the beginning, the device was thought-provoking: who instigated the affair with unrelenting provocation, Alison or Noah? Did Noah assume the entire care of his mother during the extremes of her illness while his father was physically and emotionally absent? Did Noah witness marital rape or merely the consensual dynamic of a couple's sex life? Was Alison like a fish out of water during a business dinner or did she blow off attending the dinner? Truthful answers to those questions would inform us as to who the characters are and what their motivations are. If Noah has a history of being self-sacrificing, tell us that. If Noah has a history of perceiving himself as being self-sacrificing (when that is not actually the case), then tell us that. Don't deliver the detective's observations/conclusions within the demonstrably unreliable narratives of other characters. The sensible move of shutting down the drug dealing was delivered to us in a basket of mumbo jumbo. In that character's POV we got logic re the drug dealing and unreliable perception re other events? Gah!

I think it begs credulity that this entire group of people has this much difficulty recognizing and relating what they see, what they hear, and what they do. In this show, to both lesser and greater degrees, reality is absolutely no one's constant (or even sorta familiar) companion. That's why I wish we were shown "truth" segments (or episodes). Because then the writers would have the satisfaction of utilizing their device along the way and the viewers would have the ultimate satisfaction of "aha!" moments. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 11

If we can't tell whether the main character committed suicide or was murdered...well, that's some bullshit right there.

In their defense, they aren't done yet. We don't know what we will learn this week. 

• Love 4
On 8/15/2018 at 9:17 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Yes: virtually all of Noah's narrative last season was deranged. And we saw him get all-but-fatally-stabbed -- while at the sink, washing dishes -- by someone who, several episodes later, turned out to have been Noah, at home alone.

Noah and Alison each suffered a guilt that, left unforgiven, was going to be fatal. Noah's prison guard bogey-man wasn't Brendan Fraser's character John; that phantom was Noah's tormented younger self, imprisoned in a body gone all to hell, his inner life worn on his sleeve. Alison's homicidal gentleman caller wasn't Ben Cruz, I believe: he was "pain for my entire life," he was the guy who thought they had a date, the guy who hadn't planned to take off his coat, the guy who forced himself to sit down and listen to her latest batch of insights that didn't change a thing, before getting down to business. He was Death, Alison's great and last love, who she did not cheat.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

...and they've made me not care.  I truly don't care.

I understand this. I get you. When they present two different versions and there is no clarity, it does sort of feel like viewer manipulation and gimmicky... done for the writers' own smug satisfaction at how cheeky, artistic, and clever they can be. The script can just be reduced to a complete manipulative device if it veers so far off from simple minor changes in different perspectives. 

I am glad I have this place to read the opinions of others. They are all so thought provoking. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, suomi said:

Then again, the detective's conclusions were conveyed to us only via another character's POV and therein lies the rub if we are supposed to accept the unreliable narrator device. The writers have manipulated us to the point where, for example, a character presents us with A, B, C, D and E, and we are persuaded by the device to discount B and E but to decide that A, C and D are valid. This is like the jury instruction which declares that jurors can disregard all of a witness' testimony if part of that testimony is false. I think most of us think that same way IRL: "if you lie to me about this (and that), what else are you lying to me about?" The device was novel and intriguing in the beginning but has now evolved to a point which practically requires using a spread sheet to decide whether or not a character was stalked and/or stabbed.

In the beginning, the device was thought-provoking: who instigated the affair with unrelenting provocation, Alison or Noah? Did Noah assume the entire care of his mother during the extremes of her illness while his father was physically and emotionally absent? Did Noah witness marital rape or merely the consensual dynamic of a couple's sex life? Was Alison like a fish out of water during a business dinner or did she blow off attending the dinner? Truthful answers to those questions would inform us as to who the characters are and what their motivations are. If Noah has a history of being self-sacrificing, tell us that. If Noah has a history of perceiving himself as being self-sacrificing (when that is not actually the case), then tell us that. Don't deliver the detective's observations/conclusions within the demonstrably unreliable narratives of other characters. The sensible move of shutting down the drug dealing was delivered to us in a basket of mumbo jumbo. In that character's POV we got logic re the drug dealing and unreliable perception re other events? Gah!

I think it begs credulity that this entire group of people has this much difficulty recognizing and relating what they see, what they hear, and what they do. In this show, to both lesser and greater degrees, reality is absolutely no one's constant (or even sorta familiar) companion. That's why I wish we were shown "truth" segments (or episodes). Because then the writers would have the satisfaction of utilizing their device along the way and the viewers would have the ultimate satisfaction of "aha!" moments. 

I wish I could Like this a million times!!!

17 hours ago, lesmisfits29 said:

I read somewhere, and I hope I am getting this right, that although we saw Allison put the band-aid on in the 2nd POV, she still cut her finger on the faucet at the end of the first POV.  So she would probably have gone on to put a band-aid on in the 1st POV, if we had seen more of it play out.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I wish I could Like this a million times!!!

I read somewhere, and I hope I am getting this right, that although we saw Allison put the band-aid on in the 2nd POV, she still cut her finger on the faucet at the end of the first POV.  So she would probably have gone on to put a band-aid on in the 1st POV, if we had seen more of it play out.

The scene you are referring to is actually the start of the 2nd POV. The faucet was fixed in the first POV. The broken faucet (start of 2nd POV) is what caused the cut on her finger which needed the band-aid, which she subsequently placed on her finger, then went to the door to answer the knocking which was Ben wearing the hoodie.

15 minutes ago, izabella said:

I thought the "Alison, Part 2" only flashed on screen after she opened the door to Ben. 

POV #2 actually starts when she's at the sink, washing dishes, as Ben knocks on the door. When she turns the water off she cuts her hand and walks away to get the band-aid. At this point, you can see she is wearing slacks (pants) which she was not when the scene began (or ended POV #1).

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, preeya said:

The scene you are referring to is actually the start of the 2nd POV. The faucet was fixed in the first POV. The broken faucet (start of 2nd POV) is what caused the cut on her finger which needed the band-aid, which she subsequently placed on her finger, then went to the door to answer the knocking which was Ben wearing the hoodie.

The faucet in the first point of view is dripping still - she tries to get it to shut off but it is dripping before she goes to answer the door, so it’s not fixed, right?

7 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

I agree that despite the name Alision popping up when she answers the door The transition between part 1 and 2 occured by the sink. Her clothes changed.

Right. They often start the half before announcing who's POV it is. I assume this was especially important for element of surprise since for the first time we had a double POV. 

Based on the fact all POV's are skewed I dont believe when it does or doesn't start proves anything one way or another. JMHO.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, lampwick said:

The faucet in the first point of view is dripping still - she tries to get it to shut off but it is dripping before she goes to answer the door, so it’s not fixed, right?

Right. It's not fixed because that is Alison's reality. The fixed faucet was in POV #1, her non-reality. Just my opinions on all these scenarios. It's obvious we won't know the truth (?) until the finale.   OR NOT.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

I understand this. I get you. When they present two different versions and there is no clarity, it does sort of feel like viewer manipulation and gimmicky... done for the writers' own smug satisfaction at how cheeky, artistic, and clever they can be. The script can just be reduced to a complete manipulative device if it veers so far off from simple minor changes in different perspectives. 

I had decided to try it yet "one more time," and THAT'S what they gave me?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

Right. They often start the half before announcing who's POV it is. I assume this was especially important for element of surprise since for the first time we had a double POV. 

Based on the fact all POV's are skewed I dont believe when it does or doesn't start proves anything one way or another. JMHO.

The one thing it does prove is that in POV#2 she cut her finger and placed the band-aid on the wound. The band-aid was still on her finger when Noah viewed her body at the morgue. POV #2 was the reality.  JMHO

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

So apparently this filmed the transition from part one to 2 in one continuous shot, with wardrobe actually changing Alisons clothes while she stood at the sink. i know someone from the show tweted  something about a it a coule of day before. Great article with info here.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-affair-alisons-death-ramon-rodriguez-1202903458/#respond

I rewatched after reading the article and you can see Alison step up slightly when she gets to the sink, into her pants I guess, and then see the back of her top/dress jump a bit as the bottom of it is pulled away. I wouldn’t have noticed that at all if not for the article, but that was great work by the crew changing the sets and the cast in one continuous shot. The only things I had noticed different on my first viewing, other than Alison’s clothing was that the dining room table was clean in the first POV and was cluttered with stuff in #2. That’s what I get for crocheting while watching.

IMO the #2 POV starts at the sink when she hears the knocking followed right away by the thunder, just before she cuts her finger. The knocking and storm doesn’t fit in #1. The detective said there was a storm that night so there is some truth in POV #2.  I don’t know what the significance is but in both POVs Alison looks at her reflection in the window while standing at the sink, the same thing Noah did last season when he was stabbed/realized he stabbed himself.

When Cole saw Ben in Milwaukee, Ben said that the last time he spoke with Alison, when she broke up with him, that she had said something about going to LA. She had already been in LA at that point so was Ben lying about that because he knew she was already dead?

• Love 3

When Cole saw Ben in Milwaukee, Ben said that the last time he spoke with Alison, when she broke up with him, that she had said something about going to LA. She had already been in LA at that point so was Ben lying about that because he knew she was already dead?

I don't remember but could he have said "said something about going to LA" meaning "she said something about having gone to LA." In other words, speaking in the future tense but really meaning past tense? It's a common language use.

• Love 3
On 8/13/2018 at 11:04 AM, Bitsy said:

I absolutely love the Fiona Apple song and think it's perfect for the show.  My mother, who is staunchly classical music only, has told me three times that she really likes the song.  I'd only heard complimentary things about the song up until now.  I had no idea there was a contingent of people who hated it.

I love Fiona Apple, period.  Is there a longer version of the song? I just realized I've never bothered to look for it on iTunes or anything. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't remember but could he have said "said something about going to LA" meaning "she said something about having gone to LA." In other words, speaking in the future tense but really meaning past tense? It's a common language use.

Ben said “Yeah, she said she was gonna go see her ex-husband” future tense, but he also said he kinda stopped paying attention after she said they didn’t have a future so he could’ve misunderstood her too. However, when Cole and Noah spoke to him at his office Ben remembered all kinds of things that Alison had said. Those two conversations were both from Cole’s perspective.

I can’t help but think that if Alison did kill herself she would have left a note.

I noticed on rewatch that Alison’s front door stayed open during POV #1. I couldn’t bear to watch to the end again, these last two episodes have been heart wrenching.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Ben said “Yeah, she said she was gonna go see her ex-husband” future tense, but he also said he kinda stopped paying attention after she said they didn’t have a future so he could’ve misunderstood her too. However, when Cole and Noah spoke to him at his office Ben remembered all kinds of things that Alison had said. Those two conversations were both from Cole’s perspective.

I can’t help but think that if Alison did kill herself she would have left a note.

I noticed on rewatch that Alison’s front door stayed open during POV #1. I couldn’t bear to watch to the end again, these last two episodes have been heart wrenching.

I interpreted it as last time he talked to her it was before she left and he was in a way quoting her. Meaning the last thing he knew she was going to LA.

I have the Showtime app via Amazon Fire TV and I always get the latest ep sometime Saturday evening. I didn't keep track but I wanna say maybe 6pm, 8pm, somewhere along in there. 

• Love 1
On 8/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, Diane12251 said:

I don't remember James actually asking for a kidney - he just said that he needed one. 

No, he didn't come out and say, "Give me one of your kidneys" but if I had a father I'd never seen or heard from in my entire life who contacted me out of the blue and then mentioned he needed a kidney and no one else in the family was a match I think I might conclude he was desperate that was the only reason he got in touch with me.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

No, he didn't come out and say, "Give me one of your kidneys" but if I had a father I'd never seen or heard from in my entire life who contacted me out of the blue and then mentioned he needed a kidney and no one else in the family was a match I think I might conclude he was desperate that was the only reason he got in touch with me.

As the "reunion" unfolded, I concluded that Alison never would have been approached by her father for any reason if he had successfully located a donor elsewhere, and it appeared to me that Alison came to the same conclusion. 

She didn't need to read between the lines because James and his wife specifically did ask her to donate. They said that his kids from his first marriage have incompatible blood types and his kids from the current marriage are too young to donate. Then they offered to pay Alison for donating a kidney. Their intentions in reuniting with/approaching Alison could not have been more clear. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, HOTNTX53 said:

All I know is that it would really suck if the final season next year is focused on "who killed Alison".

I just hope this isn't going to turn into a hackneyed movie plot we've seen a zillion times, in that two former antagonists (Cole and Noah) are going to "team up", turn into sleuths and solve this mystery. Please, no. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I just hope this isn't going to turn into a hackneyed movie plot we've seen a zillion times, in that two former antagonists (Cole and Noah) are going to "team up", turn into sleuths and solve this mystery. Please, no. 

Trust.  No one wants this twisted Scooby & The Adultry Gang riding around in the Mystery Machine for all of season 5.

Hard pass.

• Love 9

I keep going over the 2 versions and it just dawned on me. Wouldn't the clothing that Alison's body was found wearing indicate which version was the truth?

In version #1 she had on the flowered dress and version #2 she had on a flowered top and dark jeans. Also, same goes for the bandaid. If I remember correctly, her body was found with the bandaid still intact on her injured finger.

Only version #1 would allow for a suicide scenario --  perhaps that we haven't been privy to yet.

All I know is that it would really suck if the final season next year is focused on "who killed Alison".

Just found this interview that Ruth Wilson gave to the Hollywood Reporter. She thinks that Alison's POV #2 is the accurate version of how she died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/ruth-wilson-affair-exit-explained-1135396

• Love 1