Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09 Episode 9

• Start Topic

OK fans...I have been able to procure the double-secret sequence of upcoming events.  Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but here it is:
1) Anticipate Alison flashbacks that provide context to the remaining actors.  It is revealed that Alison never really had kids and was not married to Cole.  It was all a dream (just like that full year of the 1978 to 1991 TV show "Dallas"). 
2) Louisa (Cole's current wife), is now Joanie's primary caregiver, thus can qualify for the Green Card.  She will do that, but, recognizing Cole's pining for Alison, will take Joanie and relocate to Miami to run one of the hotels down there.
3) Cole, having sold rights to the Lobster Roll, realizes that the buyers are crooks...and that he is now financially bankrupt.  He digs up the buried illegal drugs (from the first season when the Lockharts paid the bills as drug dealers), sells them, makes enough to continue to live in that cool waterfront house.
4) Whitney comes back (yay Whitney!) and now, despising ALL men (because of the misogynistic Furkat and the family-crushing Noah), comes out as a binary and writes an autobiography in which she reveals that Helen drove the car that killed Scotty Lockhart, AND Alison was the one who pushed him into the oncoming car.  The book is turned into a movie.  Whitney makes millions. Marries the President's son, and lives in a Tower in NYC. 
5) Vic stumbles on a cure for his cancer, disowns his parents, and shuns Helen when he finds out about her relations with her next door neighbor. But Vic careens off that back deck and dies while celebrating his liberation. 
6) Helen is distraught and, having been accused of vehicular homicide in Whitney's tell-all book, shunned by Vic, and turned away by Noah... dies in a fiery crash while driving that Porsche.
7) Noah, with both Helen and Vic gone,  now takes custody of his 4 kids.  But, Whitney is legally emancipated; the older son leaves military school and joins the Marines; the second son, Trevor, also joins the marines by lying about his age and shunning his proclivities, and deploys to Iraq where he brings peace to the Middle East; and the youngest daughter (Stacey) writes a children's book wherein she blatantly copies Whitney's story about Helen and Alison.  Lawsuits ensue.  Stacey wins. Stacey goes on to star in several sitcoms. 
8) Noah...having lost all 4 kids, his original wife, Helen, and his Affair wife, Alison...decides to marry Janelle (the charter school principal). Noah's original book is finally turned into a movie.  Noah's fat head is fueled by Hollywood glamour. Based on Whitney's book, he sues Helen's estate (from her family and from Vic), and sues Alison's estate (from the Lobster Roll money), sues the NY State prison system for abuse...wins millions.   
9) Anton...ah yes, Anton.  Anton leaves Princeton because it is too hoity-toity, but, really enjoying living in New Jersey, enrolls in Rutgers.  Graduates with a degree in literature.  Writes several follow-on novels to Noah's book.  Turned into a TV series with a cool French name, "L'Affaire." Reaps millions.  Gives them all to Rutgers.  Buys a home in Seaside Park. Gets washed away in a hurricane.
The End!

• Love 8

I'm halfway through my second viewing. It's hard waiting for everyone to see it tomorrow night. Beating a dead horse: episodes like this one illustrate why knowing what actually happened matters immensely.  (Although Ben is dead to me after both versions). 

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

I feel so traumatized. During part two I couldn't stop scolding Alison for all the things she did "wrong" and maybe would have survived. I feel like I"m genuinely mourning someone right now. Maybe I'm mourning parts of myself along with Alison. Anyway I know this isn't therapy but I'm grateful for this place so I can say this stuff because I sure can't say any of this to anyone in my fake ass offline life.

I am here for you DiabLOL. I also feel great sadness. But, this is my pattern: I "mourn" for characters in TV series who die. I did it with Quinn. I did it when The Sopranos ended and I knew Tony was dead. 

I still think Alison deserved better. Ruth Wilson 's departure could have had Alison go in another direction, maybe move to Milwaukee. The show could have concentrated in the final season on Cole and Luisa, Noah and Jenelle, and Helen and her new life. 

Alison's death is sad for Cole, horrible for Joanie, and it did not have to go this way. It seems way too sadistic on the part of the writers. Alison had such a hard sad time of it and to end up like she did is heartbreaking. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 22
2 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I am here for you DiabLOL. I also feel great sadness. But, this is my pattern: I "mourn" for characters in TV series who die. I did it with Quinn. I did it when The Sopranos ended and I knew Tony was dead. 

Same same same

I still think Alison deserved better. Ruth Wilson 's departure could have had Alison go in another direction, maybe move to Milwaukee. The show could have concentrated in the final season on Cole and Luisa, Noah and Jenelle, and Helen and her new life. 

Alison's death is sad for Cole, horrible for Joanie, and it did not have to go this way. It seems way too sadistic on the part of the writers. Alison had such a hard sad time of it and to end up like she did is heartbreaking. 

I know I was thinking all of that.

I really think Alison got an Emile Zola-esque  moralizing ending and I really wish it hadn't gone that way. I want to believe in redemption. I want to forgive Alison and I want Alison to forgive Alison and not meet some horrible ending that could have been prevented if she'd only read Gavin DeBecker's "The Gift Of Fear". 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

Same same same

I know I was thinking all of that.

I really think Alison got an Emile Zola-esque  moralizing ending and I really wish it hadn't gone that way. I want to believe in redemption. I want to forgive Alison and I want Alison to forgive Alison and not meet some horrible ending that could have been prevented if she'd only read Gavin DeBecker's "The Gift Of Fear". 

There is only one place to lay blame: the writers. They did this. It was their choice. I was thinking that they killed her off because they were angry at Ruth Wilson and by killing Alison they made sure Ruth Wilson could not return to the series, even at the end of the final season. It seems like the show's way of dealing with what may have been anger at her refusal to renew her contract. I am sure this is not how they wanted Alison to end, in spite of Fiona Apple's theme song. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 8

That entire episode had me uneasy. How tense! 

There is only one place to lay blame: the writers. They did this. It was their choice. I was thinking that they killed her off because they were angry at Ruth Wilson and by killing Alison they made sure Ruth Wilson could not return to the series, even at the end of the final season. It seems like the show's way of dealing what may have been anger at her refusal to renew her contract. I am sure this is not how they wanted Alison to end, in spite of Fiona Apple's theme song. 

That’s probably what it was but I’m okay with it because she was always written as so tortured. I felt like her final speech explained it well. 

• Love 9

There is only one place to lay blame: the writers. They did this. It was their choice. I was thinking that they killed her off because they were angry at Ruth Wilson and by killing Alison they made sure Ruth Wilson could not return to the series, even at the end of the final season. It seems like the show's way of dealing what may have been anger at her refusal to renew her contract. I am sure this is not how they wanted Alison to end, in spite of Fiona Apple's theme song. 

They gave her a very pathetic ending. And Ben was reduced to a stereotype. 

I mean yeah we can all just suck it up and admit that any of us could be offed by some jerkass random but. We were all so invested in this show. I know that plenty of cynics and professional armchair tv show analysts will pile on in due time about all the mistakes of this Alison ending storyline but the fact remains that this ending to Alison will go up there with some of the most iconoclastic tv show deaths of all time. 

• Love 11

I WAS FROZEN!!!!! 

I have never been a big Alison’s fan but I still feel uneasy & that says a lot. 

Was it just me or was she awake in the water?

At first I was thinking the Ben actor is doing horrible, but possibly it was a stereotyped viewpoint of him in Alison’s double perspective 

• Love 7

I was thinking.... this double perspective could also be a double perspective in terms of Cole and Noah and how the season ends, if it ends with Alison's funeral. It could be their view in some alternate universe as well. Not so much of a stretch considering tonight's episode Alison part 1. 

The first Alison part leaves Alison's death wide open for not having such clear closure. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, DOBABYR said:

I WAS FROZEN!!!!! 

I was too! I was practically snapping at my husband to leave me alone during the ep! I was so tense I really had no idea where the show would take us.

11 minutes ago, DOBABYR said:

I have never been a big Alison’s fan but I still feel uneasy & that says a lot. 

I am in the same boat. It made me confront and admit a part of myself I didn't want to even to myself. I never liked her but this made me cry for her.

12 minutes ago, DOBABYR said:

Was it just me or was she awake in the water?

I 99.99% think she was awake in the water! "They" let us see her blinking while Ben carried her to the water! She opened her eyes once in the water. Her very last ever monologue was for us to hear. This is unbearable. 

4 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I was thinking.... this double perspective could also be a double perspective in terms of Cole and Noah and how the season ends, if it ends with Alison's funeral. It could be their view in some alternate universe as well. Not so much of a stretch considering tonight's episode Alison part 1. 

The first Alison part leaves Alison's death wide open for not having such clear closure. 

I think the double perspective was part one was how Alison and Ben and all of us would have wanted it to be and part two was how it really was and can always be. 

• Love 15

I don't even really like Alison and I had to try not to cry.  Poor Alison.  That monologue at the end...

The second half had me so tense the entire time.  I was waiting for him to stab her with the cheese knife (even though we know she didn't have stab wounds) and every other ridiculous thing.

Have we ever heard Alison be so open about Gabriel's death before and how she blames herself?  It was so heart breaking.  

Alison made an effort to stand up for herself in both versions.  Of course she picked the wrong time to do so in the second half (not that I'm saying what happened was her fault).  

This is a little disjointed, but that's how I'm feeling right now.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

And the plot thickens!! Great idea

Was Ben ever shown to be this gross and aggressive? He came off as an asshole during the first one on one with Cole. 

• Love 6

Just watched....oh my! Heavy, heavy episode...

I liked that twist that both parts were Alison’s perpective. Helen told her to “play a different character”...and that’s what we saw. Only, it didn’t end well...

The last 20 minutes made me sick to my stomach...every action, every reaction...the ominous thunder booms...you knew what was coming. 

The final underwater shots...good grief...that will stay with me for a very long time.  

Sad to see Ruth Wilson go...but her character’s death will go down (at least for me) as a memorable one!

• Love 10

Even though I could see it was headed towards a violent end I still gasped.  I had literal chills during the last few minutes.  

You would think I would be smart enough to know the whole first half was her fantasy but I was completely duped, to the point where I was so startled by the loud knocking on the door.  I liked that in the second half she was wearing jeans.... no flirty easy access dress like she usually wears. 

When the detective was telling Cole and Noah how she left her place immaculate didn’t he ever think that someone went back and cleaned it up? Moron.

i hate that she died this way.  Not that I wanted her to have killed herself but this was a terrible end.

eta- had we heard the name of Ben’s wife before? I noticed it was another H name like Helen... it would be an interesting detail if Allison made the name up herself.

Edited by casey65
  • Love 3

The timeline Ben gave to Cole definitely wouldn’t match up - even if he was only at her place with her for twenty minutes it took a long time to bring her body to the spot and then go back and clean the whole place (which they let us see was actually pretty messy even before he got there.)  I mean did they even check anything there at all? Use one of those lamps to check for blood? A head wound bleeds an insane amount.

Edited by casey65
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

This made my blood run cold -

affair4_9badben.thumb.jpg.75a532b2d79f8f4bf84934e105cc0d23.jpg

I would have run when he started talking like that.

He was really menacing wasn't he? I think I held my breath for the entire 2nd half. 

• Love 9

Yeah, I don't know quite what to make of this. I'm annoyed and need to think about it some more.

What I want to know is, if jilted lover Ben was the last person to see her alive (which he readily admitted to Cole and Noah and presumably the police), why were the Montauk police so quick to call this a suicide? They haven't impressed me with their detective work. For all the more they doggedly sniffed around Scotty Lockhart's death, they brushed this off as a suicide based on circumstantial evidence. They didn't think it odd that Allison turns up dead after she'd broken up with her married boyfriend? Whatever.

But I suppose this will give Cole something to do next season.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 15

Alison was more at peace in crucial moments of each rendering than we've ever seen her. In the first, when she recalled aloud what Athena had said about new lives, and stated -- simply, eloquently and with no self-pity -- that she might have gone as far as she could in this one. And in the second, in the monologue. When her spirit had already left what was left of her body, and because it was "still so young," began to search for "a new life, a different story," as it ascended above the water, tasting the air, into the night.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

When did the part 1 (fantasy version) take place, actually?  In Alison's head as she's dying?

I have no idea why part 1 exists and I'm hoping that someone else has more insight. Right now I feel like that's the way this story would have played out if Ruth Wilson hadn't left the show, and the showrunner just wants us to know that.

• Love 8

Wow... I’m glad she didn’t kill herself. I didn’t believe that she did. She seemed like she was on the path to healing. I hope that psychopathic asshole is caught quickly. Poor poor Alison. I am just so sad.

I kinda wish part 1 was true even though he did lie about his wife. They seem to really get each other but it was all a hallucination.

I think we always want happy endings... we want to see redemption but sometimes life just sucks and then you die.

Another beautiful episode IMO. Gut-wrenching.

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Alison was more at peace in crucial moments of each rendering than we've ever seen her. In the first, when she recalled aloud what Athena had said about new lives, and stated -- simply, eloquently and with no self-pity -- that she might have gone as far as she could in this one. And in the second, in the monologue. When her spirit had already left what was left of her body, and because it was "still so young," began to search for "a new life, a different story," as it ascended above the water, tasting the air, into the night.

Just wanted to say that your words were so beautiful.. It made me tear up.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

And the plot thickens!! Great idea

Was Ben ever shown to be this gross and aggressive? He came off as an asshole during the first one on one with Cole. 

I think he has been a little creepy but never psycho killer cross the street if you see him coming like he was here.  Even before he was violent he was way off-balance in the second half and seemed unhinged without anything causing it.  Maybe he was already drunk before he came over?  I don't know how he could hold down his job as a mental health professional if he was so outwardly psychotic all the time.  It could be that the perspective was tinted by Alison's fear.  

Maybe someone else remembers if he was off on their boat ride a few episodes back?  I kind of remember something, but I wasn't paying enough attention when it aired.

• Love 1

Part of me isn’t happy they are making this murder because what it really means is poor Alison went thru pretty much her whole life being directed by the men in her life. Yes she had one small moment in triumph when she told Ben, no I didn’t do anything to you because you’re an adult and you made your own choices, only to be physically overtaken by him and murdered. The fact that in the end she succumbed to it isn’t a triumph for her, it’s just the final tragedy of her tragic life. Heartbreaking. 

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, sadie said:

Part of me isn’t happy they are making this murder because what it really means is poor Alison went thru pretty much her whole life being directed by the men in her life. Yes she had one small moment in triumph when she told Ben, no I didn’t do anything to you because you’re an adult and you made your own choices, only to be physically overtaken by him and murdered. The fact that in the end she succumbed to it isn’t a triumph for her, it’s just the final tragedy of her tragic life. Heartbreaking. 

I initially agreed with the first part of that first sentence (unhappy about murder as narrative choice), but I'm coming 'round to the idea that the writers try to make it plausible with that line of Alison's (paraphrasing): "Why should my tragedy make me a magnet for men who exploit that weakness?"  I know second-hand that is really fuckin' true, and if this show now wants to center our war-torn violent toxic patriarchy for a few episodes, I'm here for it.

Edited by Penman61
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Yes, I did love thinking that she was at peace at last.  Ruth Wilson was brilliant.  But I’m disappointed with the writers for giving her this ending.  She deserved far better.  Maybe if she’d been given this promise of character development and introspection from the writers she would have stayed.  

The Ben character was jarring for me from the beginning.  He just didn’t belong in the story.  

• Love 9

I found the two segments interesting, but ultimately pointless.  Why have two viewpoints of Alison's?  It just feels gimmicky. 

Just now, DakotaLavender said:

I think she just wanted more money. 

Yes, there was talk about this in the press this week.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

I found the two segments interesting, but ultimately pointless.  Why have two viewpoints of Alison's?  It just feels gimmicky. 

I had said in a previous reply that perhaps this happy "alternate universe" is the true story. Otherwise, why waste time showing what "might have been?" I think it could leave open a slight possibility that Alison's murder was the way her life could have gone if she did not follow Helen's advice and change her life. 

It could be a bit "Mulholland Driveesque." They could show a funeral in the final episode but end the season with another alternate ending showing Alison alive. After all, the whole series has been shown through a lens of alternates. Maybe they will leave the door open for Ruth Wilson's return.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I had said in a previous reply that perhaps this happy "alternate universe" is the true story. Otherwise, why waste time showing what "might have been?" I think it could leave open a slight possibility that Alison's murder was the way her life could have gone if she did not follow Helen's advice and change her life. 

It could be a bit "Mulholland Driveesque." They could show a funeral in the final episode but end the season with another alternate ending showing Alison alive. After all, the whole series has been shown through a lens of alternates. Maybe they will leave the door open for Ruth Wilson's return.

But then Alison saw herself dead, and Cole also saw her dead in his POV (or was it Noah’s) last week.  Is it plausible that she could still be alive?

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, weaver said:

But then Alison saw herself dead, and Cole also saw her dead in his POV (or was it Noah’s) last week.  Is it plausible that she could still be alive?

The only reason it is not plausible is based on the writer's interviews saying Ruth Wilson wanted to leave the show. However, just based on the episodes and no social media or website information, it is plausible she could be alive because the entire series has been built on alternate viewpoints. 

And, Alison part 1 presents a totally different option. What was the point of that? Was it to show what "might have been" or some dream Alison had? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 4

The character of Ben turned a 180 in the second perspective. I thought he was going to do to Allison what he said that he did to his wife in the Part 1. Tie her to the bed, but not just leave her alone. I thought a few times that we were going to see a rape. It was chilling  

This episode needs time for me to digest it. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

The only reason it is not plausible is based on the writer's interviews saying Ruth Wilson wanted to leave the show. However, just based on the episodes and no social media or website information, it is plausible she could be alive because the entire series has been built on alternate viewpoints. 

And, Alison part 1 presents a totally different option. What was the point of that? Was it to show what "might have been" or some dream Alison had? 

I just think that two characters seeing her dead in their separate points of view would be too much for any viewer to accept.  It’s easier to buy that part one was some sort of dream of Alison’s.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, weaver said:

I just think that two characters seeing her dead in their separate points of view would be too much for any viewer to accept.  It’s easier to buy that part one was some sort of dream of Alison’s.  

This has been done in Mulholland Drive and at the end of 25th Hour. It actually is gimmicky. I am looking forward to the opinions of others after the episode airs in the regular time slot. And I also want to read the reviews of the critics. 

• Love 1

I am hoping they find out that Alison didn’t commit suicide. That would be really sad, to me, to know she didn’t choose that path yet everyone she loved is left thinking that’s what happened.

I think the first point of view may have been how Alison wanted things to go, although after the story about what he did to his wife, I would not have not been so forgiving. The second point of view is what happened? In the first point of view, Ben confessed that he was married, in the second, he never admitted it, and when she told him she knew, he threatened her.

Two very good episodes back to back. 

Spoiler

Next week, Whitney returns. 

• Love 5

The first perspective, I believe, was in Alison's mind as she prepared for Ben to come over. In it he immediately confesses that he's married and tells Alison that he's left his wife for her: the same story he'll soon tell Cole and Noah. (Ben also brings her grocery-store flowers very much like those that Cole bought her on the road to the conference.) Alison firmly though kindly tells him she wishes that they'd had a chance together, and that he should leave. Ben very easily outflanks this, though, first by offering to fix the faucet, then by fixing her supper as she watches. In Alison's imagination, he is most seductive in the role of a thoughtful, remorseful, smitten dad. He may as well have then let her watch him shave. 

With this open, young-father Ben, Alison can at last confess how she was the one whose conscious, reckless decision -- motivated by fear and spite -- doomed Gabriel. (Alison will never be convinced otherwise.) She also confesses that she may never recover, and that she may be done. This confession of hers elicits Ben's own, which may have been her most earnest desire with Cole. It allows her to embrace both their confessions. She has this Ben, her Ben, her mate, ask her what she wants. Stand up to her fears, ask her what she wants, and tell her that he wants to live. She chooses. The choice is hers, and the choice is good.

It's not Ben, in her reverie. It's the father and the husband that she didn't have. Alison still dreams of being saved from herself, and she'll let anyone take a shot. It's heartbreaking and true. 

• Love 20