Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Awards Season

• Start Topic

If Cuaron wins best director at the Oscars I believe that would make eight out of the last ten winners foreign.

More specifically, Mexico has been dominating in film making over the last few years between Cuaron, Inarritu, and del Toro.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I think the fallout from this will boost Roma, honestly. People are going to be embarrassed at the idea that Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody could win Best Picture and be looking for the "quality" alternative.

Yeah, that was my main takeaway from last night. Even when the initial raves started coming in for Roma I was VERY skeptical of a foreign language film actually winning Best Picture, but this year is really starting to feel like it might be the perfect storm in that regard. I just can't see the Academy, which has been trending increasingly highbrow since the infamous Crash win, giving their top award to a movie with a sub-50 metascore or a reverse Driving Miss Daisy that looks like it came straight out of the 90s. But while there's still time left, none of the English-language contenders seem to be generating any real momentum. Even if you look at The Shape of Water, which didn't become the favourite until it won PGA, it still at least managed to take Director at the Globes.

It's also worth pointing out that while they had their detractors beforehand, it was the big wins at the Globes that set off the hardcore backlash against both La La Land and Three Billboards, so I'm expecting Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody to start getting hammered any moment now.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am curious if Cuaron will get Best Director AND Best Picture?

This is another thing that has me leaning toward Roma actually -- Cuaron is starting to feel unbeatable in the Director race, and while the categories aren't tied together the way they used to be, it would be strange for him to be the slam dunk director winner while his movie loses Best Picture for a SECOND time.

BTW, he's also the cinematographer and is probably winning that award as well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AshleyN said:

Yeah, that was my main takeaway from last night. Even when the initial raves started coming in for Roma I was VERY skeptical of a foreign language film actually winning Best Picture, but this year is really starting to feel like it might be the perfect storm in that regard. I just can't see the Academy, which has been trending increasingly highbrow since the infamous Crash win, giving their top award to a movie with a sub-50 metascore or a reverse Driving Miss Daisy that looks like it came straight out of the 90s. But while there's still time left, none of the English-language contenders seem to be generating any real momentum. Even if you look at The Shape of Water, which didn't become the favourite until it won PGA, it still at least managed to take Director at the Globes.

It's also worth pointing out that while they had their detractors beforehand, it was the big wins at the Globes that set off the hardcore backlash against both La La Land and Three Billboards, so I'm expecting Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody to start getting hammered any moment now.

This is another thing that has me leaning toward Roma actually -- Cuaron is starting to feel unbeatable in the Director race, and while the categories aren't tied together the way they used to be, it would be strange for him to be the slam dunk director winner while his movie loses Best Picture for a SECOND time.

BTW, he's also the cinematographer and is probably winning that award as well.

For what it's worth, Ang Lee has won Best Director twice without either movie winning Best Picture (#BrokebackMountainwasROBBED), and George Stevens won twice in the '50s without either film winning Best Picture.  Frank Borzage also won twice in the first few years of the Oscars with neither film winning, but the two awards didn't really start to correlate with each other until late '30s.  Also, John Ford won the most BD Oscars with four, but only one of his films won BP.

That said, I hope Cuarón wins all five Oscars he can win this year.

#Oscarnerd

• Love 3

BAFTA nominations announced.

'The Favourite' Dominates BAFTA Nominations 2019

True to its name, The Favourite absolutely dominated the nominations for the 72nd BAFTA Awards, revealed early Wednesday morning in London (late Tuesday in L.A.)

Yorgos Lanthimos' dark comedy came away with 12 nominations, shortlisted in most of the main categories, significantly ahead of Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man, Roma and A Star Is Born, which each received seven nominations. 

Notable:  Viola Davis with a Best Actress nod for Widows.                        Like the SAGs, Regina King didn't get a nomination for Supporting.  Instead, Margot Robbie gets the nod for Mary Queen of Scots.    Steve Coogan is nominated for Best Actor for Stan and Ollie.  I'm looking forward to that one.

• Love 2

They didn't like Black Panther much at all. Actually, the movie had some significant guild snubs this week too, particularly DGA and ACE. I don't think it's in the running to win Best Picture anymore, it's probably not a top five movie in the industry.

I'm starting to think BlacKKKlansman might win. That movie has hit every single guild and it did well with BAFTA too, which I did not expect. I was thinking Roma was the frontrunner, but BKKK might be a stealth contender here- it doesn't have the factors against it that some of the others do, like Roma being in a foreign-language and a Netflix movie, A Star is Born being the third remake of something, etc. Plus it has important subject matter, so it has a weight to it. Spike Lee is way overdue for acknowledgment (god, his acceptance speech would be so awesome!).

If it can win PGA or SAG (or both), I think it might pull it off.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I'm starting to think BlacKKKlansman might win. That movie has hit every single guild and it did well with BAFTA too, which I did not expect. I was thinking Roma was the frontrunner, but BKKK might be a stealth contender here- it doesn't have the factors against it that some of the others do, like Roma being in a foreign-language and a Netflix movie, A Star is Born being the third remake of something, etc. Plus it has important subject matter, so it has a weight to it. Spike Lee is way overdue for acknowledgment (god, his acceptance speech would be so awesome!).

I would be fine with that, too.  I've really enjoyed so many of the movies being nominated this year--I don't even remember the last time I was this excited for an awards show.

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

They didn't like Black Panther much at all. Actually, the movie had some significant guild snubs this week too, particularly DGA and ACE. I don't think it's in the running to win Best Picture anymore, it's probably not a top five movie in the industry.

I've been thinking for a while that Spike Lee is a shoo-in for the Adapted Screenplay Oscar (on a related note, if Green Book wins Original Screenplay, I might kill someone).

• Love 4

That's rough for Regina King. Missing out on one of SAG or BAFTA is one thing, but missing both might be too much to overcome. Her best hope is for SAG and BAFTA to split winners -- I could see Amy Adams and Rachel Weisz doing it maybe. If one of them takes both awards they're probably going all the way.

3 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Yeah, I was actually noticing earlier how BlacKkKlansman has been kind of quietly showing up everywhere. Roma has major factors working against it, but its biggest advantage I think is that the competition is pretty fractured -- nothing's really established itself as the clear alternate (A Star is Born had all the buzz, but so far has failed to back that up with any notable wins and the one big award that was supposed to be a lock for it, Best Actor, is now very much in doubt). But BlacKkKlansman should be the frontrunner for Adapted Screenplay already, so I agree that if it can pull off a win at one of the other big guilds it has to be taken very seriously.

On a related note, it's possible I just missed it, but given the comparisons that have been made between Green Book and Driving Miss Daisy, I'm surprised I haven't seen any talk about the Spike Lee connection there. I wouldn't be surprised to see that narrative pop up as we get closer to actual Oscar voting.

Edited by AshleyN

One of the screenwriters of Green Book just got hit with a big scandal (someone dug up an old tweet of his that's very anti-muslim and he's a rabid Trump supporter apparently) and he deleted his entire twitter account, so who knows what else was on there. This is the guy that just won a Golden Globe for screenplay. I think we can safely say that movie will not win the original screenplay Oscar now (or Best Picture, though I didn't think it would anyway).

Congratulations to The Favourite.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

One of the screenwriters of Green Book just got hit with a big scandal (someone dug up an old tweet of his that's very anti-muslim and he's a rabid Trump supporter apparently) and he deleted his entire twitter account, so who knows what else was on there. This is the guy that just won a Golden Globe for screenplay. I think we can safely say that movie will not win the original screenplay Oscar now (or Best Picture, though I didn't think it would anyway).

Congratulations to The Favourite.

Or Roma, conceivably.

In addition to this Vallelonga shitshow, it's come out that Peter Farrelly used to flash his penis on set as a joke.  Although I don't like that these two men are scum, I do like that this likely destroys their chances of winning the Original Screenplay Oscar they are so damn thirsty to win; in addition to being written by two shitheads, it's exceptionally trite.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Probably not but you never know.  This movie has survived its lead white actor using the "n" word, the controversy over it being another story about a black man told from the perspective of a white man, the exposed lie that the screen writers claimed they couldn't find the black man's family to get their POV on the events but then the actor portraying that man found them easily only to find out they hadn't been approached. That family also questions the truthfulness of the story as depicted.

The voters who think this is a great movie about confronting racism likely aren't going to care that the screenwriter is racist or that Farrelly used to trick people into seeing his dick while on set as a "joke" in the past.  (Because oh yeah---that also resurfaced this week.)

• Love 2

Man, I haven't got a chance to see Green Book yet, but at this rate, the behind the scenes drama and mishaps might end up being way more entertaining than the actual film. Although, if this keeps up, Mahershala Ali might actually win again, just as a "Sorry you had to deal with this crap and thanks for being a trooper" reward from voters.  Because it feels like his entire campaign has been him having to address whatever current controversy or stupid thing someone else says.

One of the screenwriters of Green Book just got hit with a big scandal (someone dug up an old tweet of his that's very anti-muslim and he's a rabid Trump supporter apparently) and he deleted his entire twitter account, so who knows what else was on there. This is the guy that just won a Golden Globe for screenplay

Not sure if he was the one that dug it up, but one of the responses I keep seeing is from Jordan Horowitz, the La La Land producer who took charge during the whole "Incorrect Best Picture" kerfuffle from two years ago.  I know producers usually aren't the most recognizable folks in the biz, but he's starting to be come a fav of mine (so, please, please don't have your own creepy skeletons in the closet, Jordan!)

• Love 1

Costume Designers Guild nominations: https://deadline.com/2019/01/costume-designers-guild-awarsd-nominations-crazy-rich-asians-black-panther-avengers-infinity-war-1202532539/

Film:

Excellence in Contemporary Film
A Star Is Born, Erin Benach
Crazy Rich Asians, Mary E. Vogt
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Michele Clapton
Ocean’s 8, Sarah Edwards
Widows, Jenny Eagan

Excellence in Period Film
BlacKkKlansman, Marci Rodgers
Bohemian Rhapsody, Julian Day
The Favourite, Sandy Powell
Mary Poppins Returns, Sandy Powell
Mary Queen of Scots, Alexandra Byrne

Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film
A Wrinkle in Time, Paco Delgado
Aquaman, Kym Barrett
The Avengers: Infinity War, Judianna Makovsky
Black Panther, Ruth E. Carter
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Jenny Beavan

Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards nominations: https://deadline.com/2019/01/make-up-artists-hair-styling-guild-applies-its-awards-nominations-1202532593/

Film:

FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY MAKE-UP*

A Star is Born, Ve Neill, Debbie Zoller, Sarah Tanno
Beautiful Boy, Jean Black, Rolf Keppler
Boy Erased, Kimberly Jones, Mi Young, Kyra Panchenko
Crazy Rich Asians, Heike Merker, Irina Strukova
Welcome to Marwen, Ve Neill, Rosalina De Silva
Widows, Ma Kalaadevi Ananda, Denise Pugh-Ruiz, Jacqueline Fernandez

FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY HAIR STYLING

A Star is Born, Lori McCoy-Bell, Joy Zapata, Frederic Aspires
Crazy Rich Asians, Heike Merker, Sophia Knight
Nappily Ever After, Dawn Turner, Larry Simms
Vox Lux, Esther Ahn, Daniel Koye
Widows, Linda Flowers, Daniel Curet, Denise Wynbrandt

FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER MAKE-UP

Bohemian Rhapsody, Jan Sewell, Mark Coulier
Mary Poppins Returns, Peter Robb-King, Paula Price
Mary Queen of Scots, Jenny Shircore, Hannah Edwards, Sarah Kelly
Stan & Ollie, Jeremy Woodhead, Marc Coulier
Vice, Kate Biscoe, Ann Pala Williams, Jamie Kelman

FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER HAIR STYLING

Black Panther, Camille Friend, Jaime Leigh McIntosh, Louisa Anthony
BlacKkKlansman, LaWanda Pierre-Weston, Shaun Perkins
Bohemian Rhapsody, Jan Sewell, Julio Parodi
Mary Poppins Returns, Peter Robb-King, Paula Price
Mary Queen of Scots, Jenny Shircore, Marc Pilcher

FEATURE-LENGTH MOTION PICTURE – BEST SPECIAL MAKE-UP EFFECTS

Aquaman, Justin Raleigh, Ozzy Alvarez, Sean Genders
Black Panther, Joel Harlow, Ken Diaz, Sian Richards
Stan & Ollie, Mark Coulier, Jeremy Woodhead
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Christien Tinsley, Corey Welk, Rolf Keppler
Vice, Greg Cannom, Christopher Gallaher

I'm always amused when I see that BoRap has been nominated for hair and makeup.  My husband, a huge Queen fan, refused to see the movie because he bought into what the critics were saying, then added "And, I'm sorry, but those wigs are so bad, I just don't think I could look past them" Now, every time they are nominated for hair and make up, I smile and say "Hey, hon... guess what?!".  lol!   (BTW, he's agreed to see it when it comes out on dvd.  It will be interesting to see his reaction).

• Love 5

The Art Directors Guild Excellence in Production Design Awards nominations:

FEATURE FILMS:

PERIOD FILM
THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS, Production Designer: Jess Gonchor
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, Production Designer: Aaron Haye
THE FAVORITE, Production Designer: Fiona Crombie
FIRST MAN, Production Designer: Nathan Crowley
ROMA, Production Designer: Eugenio Caballero

FANTASY FILM
BLACK PANTHER, Production Designer: Hannah Beachler
FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD, Production Designer: Stuart Craig
THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS, Production Designer: Jon Hutman
MARY POPPINS RETURNS, Production Designer: John Myhre
READY PLAYER ONE, Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen

CONTEMPORARY FILM
A QUIET PLACE, Production Designer: Jeffrey Beecroft
A STAR IS BORN, Production Designer: Karen Murphy
CRAZY RICH ASIANS, Production Designer: Nelson Coates
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – FALLOUT, Production Designer: Peter Wenham
WELCOME TO MARWEN, Production Designer: Stefan Dechant

ANIMATED FILM
DR. SEUSS’ THE GRINCH, Art Director: Colin Stimpson
INCREDIBLES 2, Production Designer: Ralph Eggleston
ISLE OF DOGS, Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen, Paul Harrod
RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET, Production Designer: Cory Loftis
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, Production Designer: Justin K. Thompson

The International Animated Film Society, ASIFA-Hollywood, Annie Awards nominations; many categories, but here are the 'big' ones for feature films:

Best Animated Feature
Early Man, Aardman Animations
Incredibles 2, Pixar Animation Studios
Isle Of Dogs, Fox Searchlight Pictures / Indian Paintbrush / American Empirical Pictures
Ralph Breaks The Internet, Walt Disney Animation Studios
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation

Directing in an Animated Feature Production
Early Man, Director: Nick Park
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, Director: Genndy Tartakovsky
Incredibles 2, Director: Brad Bird
Ralph Breaks The Internet, Director: Rich Moore; Director: Phil Johnston
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Director: Bob Persichetti Director: Rodney Rothman Director: Peter Ramsey

Writing in an Animated Feature Production
Incredibles 2, Writer: Brad Bird
Mirai, Writer: Mamoru Hosoda; Story By: Mamoru Hosoda; Writer: Stephanie Sheh
Ralph Breaks The Internet, Writer: Phil Johnston; Writer: Pamela Ribon
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Writer: Phil Lord; Writer: Rodney Rothman
Teen Titans Go! to the Movies, Writer: Michael Jelenic; Writer: Aaron Horvath

This is a new day indeed!!! The Avengers are hosting the Oscars.

Word is the Academy is trying to round up as many Avengers actors as possible to help with this new "multiple hosts" Oscars. 

• Love 2

I was convinced that Kevin Hart’s publicity tour was setting up the narrative for the Oscars taking him back (including having Ellen forgive him on her show.) Having the Avengers host is a much better idea, as I’m sure a trailer will be due to drop during the show, and they’ll attract a younger demographic that the show so desperately needs. 

• Love 3

Anyone else pick up on the fact that both Michael Douglas AND Glenn Close cashed in at the Globes?  Fatal Attraction reunion.  Also, I haven't seen The Wife, and who knows what's going to transpire between now and the Oscars, but if there's any living actress who is long overdue for an Oscar it's Close so I'm pulling for her.*

*Still think Pike gave the best performance of the ones I've seen with Blunt not too far behind but both of them appear to be long shots anyway.  Wouldn't be mad about Coleman winning either.  She was great, just not a personal fave

There is literally nothing in the spoiler box.  It accidentally showed up in the post and now I can't get rid of it.  Carry on.

Spoiler

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, absnow54 said:

was convinced that Kevin Hart’s publicity tour was setting up the narrative for the Oscars taking him back (including having Ellen forgive him on her show.)

The Apology Tour would have been more convincing if he'd actually bothered to apologize.

I mean, whatever, live your bliss.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, starri said:

The Apology Tour would have been more convincing if he'd actually bothered to apologize.

I mean, whatever, live your bliss.

Well, he did finally apologize, although it was not so much "I'm sorry I said unacceptable things about LGBT people and have learned and will grow from this" as it was "I'm sorry I have to say I'm sorry, and I still would break a dollhouse over my son's head to stop him from being gay, so fuck all of you, I'm the victim here."

• Love 12

Time for the critics to way in: Critics' Choice Award time!

FILM NOMINEES

BEST PICTURE
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
The Favourite
First Man
Green Book
If Beale Street Could Talk
Mary Poppins Returns
WINNER: Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

BEST ACTOR
WINNER: Christian Bale — Vice
Bradley Cooper — A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe — At Eternity’s Gate
Ryan Gosling — First Man
Ethan Hawke — First Reformed
Rami Malek — Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen — Green Book

BEST ACTRESS
Yalitza Aparicio — Roma
Emily Blunt — Mary Poppins Returns
WINNER (TIE): Glenn Close — The Wife
Toni Collette — Hereditary
Olivia Colman — The Favourite
WINNER (TIE): Lady Gaga — A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy — Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
WINNER: Mahershala Ali — Green Book
Timothée Chalamet — Beautiful Boy
Adam Driver — BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott — A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant — Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Michael B. Jordan — Black Panther

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams — Vice
Claire Foy — First Man
Nicole Kidman — Boy Erased
WINNER: Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone — The Favourite
Rachel Weisz — The Favourite

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS
WINNER: Elsie Fisher — Eighth Grade
Thomasin McKenzie — Leave No Trace
Ed Oxenbould — Wildlife
Millicent Simmonds – A Quiet Place
Amandla Stenberg — The Hate U Give
Sunny Suljic — Mid90s

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
Black Panther
Crazy Rich Asians
WINNER: The Favourite
Vice
Widows

BEST DIRECTOR
Damien Chazelle — First Man
Bradley Cooper — A Star Is Born
WINNER: Alfonso Cuarón – Roma
Peter Farrelly — Green Book
Yorgos Lanthimos — The Favourite
Spike Lee — BlacKkKlansman
Adam McKay — Vice

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Bo Burnham – Eighth Grade
Alfonso Cuarón — Roma
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara — The Favourite
Adam McKay — Vice
WINNER: Paul Schrader — First Reformed
Nick Vallelonga, Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly — Green Book
Bryan Woods, Scott Beck, John Krasinski — A Quiet Place

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole — Black Panther
Nicole Holofcener, Jeff Whitty — Can You Ever Forgive Me?
WINNER: Barry Jenkins – If Beale Street Could Talk
Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters — A Star Is Born
Josh Singer — First Man
Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee — BlacKkKlansman

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
WINNER: Alfonso Cuarón — Roma
James Laxton — If Beale Street Could Talk
Matthew Libatique — A Star Is Born
Rachel Morrison — Black Panther
Robbie Ryan — The Favourite
Linus Sandgren — First Man

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
WINNER: Hannah Beachler, Jay Hart — Black Panther
Eugenio Caballero, Barbara Enriquez — Roma
Nelson Coates, Andrew Baseman — Crazy Rich Asians
Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton — The Favourite
Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas — First Man
John Myhre, Gordon Sim — Mary Poppins Returns

BEST EDITING
Jay Cassidy — A Star Is Born
Hank Corwin — Vice
WINNER: Tom Cross – First Man
Alfonso Cuarón, Adam Gough — Roma
Yorgos Mavropsaridis — The Favourite
Joe Walker — Widows

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Alexandra Byrne — Mary Queen of Scots
WINNER: Ruth Carter — Black Panther
Julian Day — Bohemian Rhapsody
Sandy Powell — The Favourite
Sandy Powell — Mary Poppins Returns

BEST HAIR AND MAKEUP
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Mary Queen of Scots
Suspiria
WINNER: Vice

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Avengers: Infinity War
WINNER: Black Panther
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Mission: Impossible — Fallout
Ready Player One

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
The Grinch
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
WINNER: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

BEST ACTION MOVIE
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Deadpool 2
WINNER: Mission: Impossible — Fallout
Ready Player One
Widows

BEST COMEDY
WINNER: Crazy Rich Asians
Deadpool 2
The Death of Stalin
The Favourite
Game Night
Sorry to Bother You

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
WINNER: Christian Bale — Vice
Jason Bateman — Game Night
Viggo Mortensen — Green Book
John C. Reilly — Stan & Ollie
Ryan Reynolds — Deadpool 2
Lakeith Stanfield — Sorry to Bother You

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Emily Blunt — Mary Poppins Returns
WINNER: Olivia Colman — The Favourite
Elsie Fisher — Eighth Grade
Rachel McAdams — Game Night
Charlize Theron — Tully
Constance Wu — Crazy Rich Asians

BEST SCI-FI OR HORROR MOVIE
Annihilation
Halloween
Hereditary
WINNER: A Quiet Place
Suspiria

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Burning
Capernaum
Cold War
WINNER: Roma
Shoplifters

BEST SONG
“All the Stars” — Black Panther
“Girl in the Movies” — Dumplin’
“I’ll Fight” — RBG
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” — Mary Poppins Returns
WINNER: “Shallow” – A Star Is Born
“Trip a Little Light Fantastic” — Mary Poppins Returns

BEST SCORE
Kris Bowers — Green Book
Nicholas Britell – If Beale Street Could Talk
Alexandre Desplat – Isle of Dogs
Ludwig Göransson — Black Panther
WINNER: Justin Hurwitz — First Man
Marc Shaiman — Mary Poppins Returns

Yep, Glenn Close and Lady Gaga tied for Best Actress, so that's probably going to be the fun category this year.  Meanwhile, Christian Bale takes it over Cooper and Malek, Mahershala Ali and Regina King pick up some more trophies (going to be interesting since King didn't get a SAG or BAFTA nomination), and Roma went home with most of the big ones.  But we'll have to see if the guilds and the Academy agree with any of this or not.

• Love 1

If Green Book has to win an Oscar I’m fine with it going home with Ali. 

Best Actress is going to be a lot of fun this year. I think it’s mainly between Close and Coleman (slight edge to Close) and Gaga is the potential spoiler. I don’t think Gaga will actually win it (she’ll give her big speech when she wins for Song) but it’ll keep things interesting. 

• Love 2

Critics Choice has a reputation of blatantly trying to predict the Oscars, so it's kind of hilarious that in the most contentious race they found a way to give all three contenders a trophy. Olivia Colman is almost certainly going to win the BAFTA (she's beloved in the UK and The Favourite led BAFTA nominations by a wide margin) so SAG is going to be really important there.

It's kind of shocking to me how quickly Bradley Cooper seems to have faded in the Best Actor race. He has a huge narrative plus was legitimately REALLY good in the movie, but it feels like he's been shoved out of the conversation for the win by Bale and Malek. I guess going up against not one, but two actors playing famous people was too much.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

Regina King pick up some more trophies (going to be interesting since King didn't get a SAG or BAFTA nomination)

I'm curious who will emerge as the alternative in the category, since Regina King has to sit it out until Oscars and has ALL the momentum. Maybe Rachel Weisz? But she has to overcome splitting the vote with Emma Stone. Amy Adams has been nominated a billion times, but there hasn't been any "it's her turn" narrative.

4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I'm curious who will emerge as the alternative in the category, since Regina King has to sit it out until Oscars and has ALL the momentum. Maybe Rachel Weisz? But she has to overcome splitting the vote with Emma Stone. Amy Adams has been nominated a billion times, but there hasn't been any "it's her turn" narrative.

Perhaps not just one winner emerges.  Scenario:   Emily Blunt wins the SAG for Supporting Female Actor for A Quiet Place (consolation prize instead of Best Female Actor in Mary Poppins Returns for which she's also nominated.)  Rachel wins the BAFTA (The Favourite is nominated for 12 BAFTAs, 5 more than any other film!  It's going to win a lot of them.)  Regina could still be the front runner for the Oscar.  We'll have to wait until next Tuesday to be sure she gets the Oscar nomination.  I still think she has a path to the Oscar.

I think Regina King will still win the Oscar and being snubbed in SAG and BAFTA will just turn out to be one of those weird flukes. It's happened once before, and that was Marcia Gay Harden for Pollock in 2000. Time for it to happen again. 

If Amy Adams wins SAG and Rachel Weisz wins BAFTA, that means there's no other agreed upon contender. In that case I feel sure that Regina King will take it. IF say, Amy Adams were to win both SAG and BAFTA, that makes her more of a threat, but I still think King will eke it out.

14 hours ago, AshleyN said:

It's kind of shocking to me how quickly Bradley Cooper seems to have faded in the Best Actor race. He has a huge narrative plus was legitimately REALLY good in the movie, but it feels like he's been shoved out of the conversation for the win by Bale and Malek. I guess going up against not one, but two actors playing famous people was too much.

Yeah, I thought Bradley was fantastic.  I was blown away.  I love Malek too, though.

I saw "A Quiet Place" and I wasn't so knocked out by Emily.  I do love Emily, and I wanted her performance in The Girl on the Train to be much more recognized than it was.  But I wasn't some huge AQP fan, that's for sure.

• Love 1

Green Book won the PGA tonight! Whoa.

Looks like I was completely wrong about that scandal taking it down. If anything, it looks to me like it may have actually strengthened its support. In my experience, telling people why a movie they love is bad makes them super defensive, so I think this is a backlash to the backlash happening here.

This kind of makes it the frontrunner, but we're going to have split guild awards, because I still think Cuaron is guaranteed to win the DGA, and Green Book wasn't nominated for SAG ensemble, so that's going to be something else. Maybe Blackkklansman?

Green Book is smelling like the one to beat now though, imo. The PGA uses the same kind of preferential ballot system the Academy does, so if it can win there, it can win anywhere.

Yeah, I don't know what to think anymore.  I figure Green Book would have its fans, but it dominating like this is surprising.  This whole season has been pretty weird so far.  I really can't predict any category outside of maybe Cuaron for Best Director.

Spike Lee must be having the weirdest déjà vu right now.

Anyways, it's from a week or so ago, but I think this thread from Mark Harris gives some insight on Green Book's strength:

I agree with ruby24 though, that I think some of the backlash has resulted in a lot of it's supporters doubling down, rather than questioning their support. I wouldn't be surprised if there's built up resentment there after back to back years of "woke" Twitter helping to take down a frontrunner too.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Green Book won the PGA tonight! Whoa.

Looks like I was completely wrong about that scandal taking it down. If anything, it looks to me like it may have actually strengthened its support. In my experience, telling people why a movie they love is bad makes them super defensive, so I think this is a backlash to the backlash happening here.

I guess it depends on when most people voted.  The tweet was refound (cuz it was always out there in public) in the middle of both the PGA voting period and Oscar nomination period.  So I have little doubt it'll get nominated for Best Pic.  What remains to be seen is whether or not, with a full voting period, it'll maintain the support.

I've been thinking, one reason that the Academy could go another way is due to the fact that it's the only organization that has made an effort to really diversify and increase its membership in the last few years. That could be the reason that they diverged from the PGA winners in 2015 and 2016 after matching it for so long (La La Land and The Big Short lost out to Moonlight and Spotlight eventually).

And when all the guilds are split, it may be that you won't be able to tell what will win in the end. If Green Book takes the PGA, Cuaron takes the DGA and let's say Blackkklansman wins SAG (that's my hope), it will very likely be a crapshoot between those three on Oscar night. Especially if Blackkklansman and Green Book both win the WGA too (I think that's what's expected to happen). And then there's BAFTA, but they're not as predictive in Best Picture (they can sometimes call a surprise winner in the one of the acting races).

I mean, Moonlight was a real upset, because the only guild it won going into Oscar night was the WGA. And La La Land had taken PGA/DGA/BAFTA, so that shocker could have only been due to the membership difference in the Academy, imo. That could happen again this year, if Green Book really is a divisive choice.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

Moonlight really wasn't a huge upset, though.  It was always the dark horse behind La La Land and was always going to do better with the preferential ballot used by the Oscars.  It's likely that La La Land received the most #1 votes that year, but it was also likely left off of a bunch of ballots because it was so divisive.  Moonlight might have received fewer #1 votes, but it was much more universally admired and liked and was likely #2 or #3 (if not #1) on most ballots.  For the same reasons, I expected Spotlight to win three years ago; it was always the most universally appealing film since The RevenantThe Big Short, and (sadly, to me) Mad Max had their detractors.

It's important to keep in mind that the PGA is made up almost exclusively of old(er), white men, exactly the type of person to whom Green Book would appeal; the AMPAS demographic has changed quite a bit in the last few years and isn't just old(er), white men.  I also don't know if the Twitter controversy really happened early enough to affect the vote (I think most votes had probably already been cast, although I could be wrong).  I personally don't think Green Book will win Best Picture because too many Oscar voters won't care for it; that's (thankfully) what took down Three Billboards last year.  I still think Roma is going to win.

• Love 2

Just saw The Wife today. The scene at the Nobel acceptance speech? Wow! Just watching Glenn Close’s emotions during that speech!! That was everything. 

While Lady Gaga was good in ASIB, taking off her makeup and being Stefani instead of Gaga was the only bold acting choice. And that was the director’s decision. Best song-yes. Best actress-meh. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Just saw The Wife today. The scene at the Nobel acceptance speech? Wow! Just watching Glenn Close’s emotions during that speech!! That was everything. 

While Lady Gaga was good in ASIB, taking off her makeup and being Stefani instead of Gaga was the only bold acting choice. And that was the director’s decision. Best song-yes. Best actress-meh. 

IMO, many people are thinking that if Glenn Close were to win the Oscar this year, it would just be a career award as she's never won before so she's overdue.  No!  She's fantastic in THIS particular performance.  Sadly, The Wife is a film that most people did not see.  (I saw it several months ago at our local art house theater.)

If I may, there's another actress in a film with a plot very similar to The Wife who was also deserving of a nomination in another film that few have seen: Keira Knightley in Colette.  Her performance was amazing.  I'm very sorry that her work wasn't recognized.  Back in October/November, she was on many lists of possible contenders, but that turned out not to be the case.  :(

I'm rooting for Glenn Close big time and I do believe she's going to win.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

IMO, many people are thinking that if Glenn Close were to win the Oscar this year, it would just be a career award as she's never won before so she's overdue.  No!  She's fantastic in THIS particular performance.  Sadly, The Wife is a film that most people did not see.  (I saw it several months ago at our local art house theater.)

I agree-she should win for this performance. She was fantastic.

Nominations tomorrow! Let the games begin!!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

If I may, there's another actress in a film with a plot very similar to The Wife who was also deserving of a nomination in another film that few have seen: Keira Knightley in Colette.  Her performance was amazing.  I'm very sorry that her work wasn't recognized.  Back in October/November, she was on many lists of possible contenders, but that turned out not to be the case.  :(

I'm rooting for Glenn Close big time and I do believe she's going to win.

I think this may be an instance where at least the "she's due" thought process may offset the fact that many voters may not have seen/be inclined to see The Wife.  Not saying she doesn't deserve to win for this one in particular (I haven't seen it but I hope to soon enough) but if it's that mentality that puts her over the top, especially for a low profile film, then all the better.

Edited by kiddo82