Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Awards Season

• Start Topic

I'm also much more excited by the movies this year than last year.

I saw The Favourite a week ago and would give all three ladies all the awards; they're sooooooo good!  If Beale Street Could Talk was also phenomenal, and I'm seeing Roma tomorrow – eeeeeeeee!!!!

• Love 2

American Film Institute (AFI) has their top ten out:

AFI top 10 movies of 2018:

BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Mary Poppins Returns
A Quiet Place
A Star is Born

Seems pretty par for the course for them.  A mixture of the arguably frontrunners (A Star is Born, Green Book, The Favorite, If Beale Street Could Talk), the smaller, but critically praised ones (Eight Grade, First Reformed, BlacKkKlansman), and the mainstream hits like Black Panther, A Quiet Place, and I'm assuming Mary Poppins Returns, unless insanity happens and that somehow bombs at the box office.  But I have to think First Man's chances are zilch now.  Not sure what to make of Vice's absence.  Roma was ineligible, so it's pretty much in the same spot it already is in.

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Seems pretty par for the course for them.  A mixture of the arguably frontrunners (A Star is Born, Green Book, The Favorite, If Beale Street Could Talk), the smaller, but critically praised ones (Eight Grade, First Reformed, BlacKkKlansman), and the mainstream hits like Black Panther, A Quiet Place, and I'm assuming Mary Poppins Returns, unless insanity happens and that somehow bombs at the box office.  But I have to think First Man's chances are zilch now.  Not sure what to make of Vice's absence.  Roma was ineligible, so it's pretty much in the same spot it already is in.

They actually gave Roma a special award, so they loved it enough to single it out for praise despite its ineligibility.

I've seen it, and it is indeed incredible.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, I think the Globes are really going to be First Man's last stand. If it misses there it's done. I think Gosling at least could make it just because Drama Actor is so empty this year.

Vice is interesting: they early reactions made it seem divisive, but even a divisive film should have strong enough supporters to have shown up somewhere, but so far nothing for this one. Like First Man, if it's snubbed at the Globes it's probably in big trouble.

Golden Globe Nominations:

Best Motion Picture – Drama
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“A Star Is Born”

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
“Crazy Rich Asians”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Vice”

Best Director – Motion Picture
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Alfonso Cuaron, “Roma”
Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Peter Farrelly, “Green Book”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Lucas Hedges, “Boy Erased”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Nicole Kidman, “Destroyer”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Rosamund Pike, “A Private War”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, “Vice”
Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Mary Poppins Returns”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”
Robert Redford, “The Old Man and the Gun”
John C. Reilly, “Stan and Ollie”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Emily Blunt, “Mary Poppins Returns”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Elsie Fisher, “Eighth Grade”
Charlize Theron, “Tully”
Constance Wu, “Crazy Rich Asians”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Timothee Chalamet,” Beautiful Boy”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Amy Adams, “Vice”
Claire Foy, “First Man”
Regina King, “IF Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuaron
“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“Vice,” Adam McKay
“Green Book,” Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Hayes Currie

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
“A Quiet Place,” Marco Beltrami
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Göransson
“First Man,” Justin Hurwitz
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“All The Stars” (“Black Panther”)
“Girl in the Movies (“Dumplin”)
“Requiem for a Private War” (“A Private War”)
“Revelation” (“Boy Erased”)
“Shallow” (“A Star Is Born”)

Best Animated Feature Film
“Incredibles 2′
“Isle of Dogs”
“Murai”
“Ralph Breaks the Internet”
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best Foreign-Language Film
“Capernaum”
“Girl”
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“Shoplifters”

12 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Yeah, I think the Globes are really going to be First Man's last stand. If it misses there it's done. I think Gosling at least could make it just because Drama Actor is so empty this year.

Vice is interesting: they early reactions made it seem divisive, but even a divisive film should have strong enough supporters to have shown up somewhere, but so far nothing for this one. Like First Man, if it's snubbed at the Globes it's probably in big trouble.

Well, I guess they split the two: Vice gets a big boost, while First Man (aside from Foy) probably received the final nail in its coffin.

Actually didn't scratch my head as much as I normally do with the Globes (I heard that A Star is Born decided to submit in the drama category, but I am surprised that Bohemian Rhapsody is considered drama too), but I'm disappointed Sam Elliot didn't get a Supporting nod, and hope that isn't the case come Oscar time.

Yeah, at this point, Claire Foy is probably the only shot of First Man getting into any of the major categories.  It might still land a few of the technical and sounds nods, I guess.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm glad Black Panther, A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Mary Poppins Returns all got nominations.  But the fact that they nominated Green Book while completely snubbing The Hate U Give really sticks in my craw.

Honestly, I think it got stuck with the YA label which basically made any awards a non-starter. Also, I think there's this mild but definitely there backlash against Amandla Stenberg. She doesn't really play the sweet young thing off-screen, which is fine and dandy for her, but it also means that she doesn't engender the kind of goodwill she needs to get pushed when awards seasons start, especially at her age.  

I am so happy Elsie Fisher got a nomination! It'd be awesome if she can sneak into the best actress category. She's definitely got the whole "hey, let's reward this fresh young talent with a nom that will be the award in itself" vibe.

Not the worst as far as nominations go. I was happy to see Black Panther, A Star is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody especially. There were some eye brow raisers, but this could be a lot worse. I still have so many movies I want to see though! 

• Love 3

Looks to me like there's a lot of Best Picture candidates that haven't come out yet. I've seen Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman and A Star is Born, but Vice, If Beale Street Could Talk, The Favourite (I guess it's out but it's still in very limited release and nowhere near me yet), and Roma aren't out. Mary Poppins Returns too (though I'm not sure if that one will make it at the Oscars). So I'll be seeing a bunch of stuff later this month and next, probably.

I'm just happy that I've either seen a lot of these movies or really want to see them.  I'm kind of surprised that Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated since the critics didn't seem to like it much.  I figured the only recognition it would get would be for Rami Malek.

It'll be interesting to see which ones are included in the Oscar nominations. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm just happy that I've either seen a lot of these movies or really want to see them.  I'm kind of surprised that Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated since the critics didn't seem to like it much.  I figured the only recognition it would get would be for Rami Malek.

Globes will nominate movies that were poorly received by critics, especially when it comes to the musical category.  The Greatest Showman got three nominations last year and was liked even less than Bohemian.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Mary Poppins Returns too (though I'm not sure if that one will make it at the Oscars). So I'll be seeing a bunch of stuff later this month and next, probably.

I can see Disney Co. being absolutely pissed if Mary Poppins Returns doesn't get any Oscar love. It would make them look bad, given that the original Mary Poppins was an Oscar favorite.

Edited by methodwriter85
21 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I can see Disney Co. being absolutely pissed if Mary Poppins Returns doesn't get any Oscar love. It would make them look bad, given that the original Mary Poppins was an Oscar favorite.

Yeah, but the Academy doesn't tend to nominate reboots/sequels, I think for that reason. The Force Awakens didn't make it in either.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:22 AM, AshleyN said:

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“All The Stars” (“Black Panther”)
“Girl in the Movies (“Dumplin”)
“Requiem for a Private War” (“A Private War”)
“Revelation” (“Boy Erased”)
“Shallow” (“A Star Is Born”)

Forgot to say that I knew it was going to be Shallow and that's my least favorite of the 3 that they submitted.  I much prefer Always Remember Us This Way and Never Love Again.   Like I said in the music thread, I think Shallow is the most popular because it was an emotional and pivotal part of the movie and it's the only one of the three that includes Bradley Cooper.  

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Forgot to say that I knew it was going to be Shallow and that's my least favorite of the 3 that they submitted.  I much prefer Always Remember Us This Way and Never Love Again.   Like I said in the music thread, I think Shallow is the most popular because it was an emotional and pivotal part of the movie and it's the only one of the three that includes Bradley Cooper.  

Shallow wasn't my favorite either -- I liked Maybe It's Time best, but since that was just Bradley Cooper and no Lady Gaga, it didn't stand a chance.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2018 at 6:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

Not the worst as far as nominations go. I was happy to see Black Panther, A Star is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody especially. There were some eye brow raisers, but this could be a lot worse. I still have so many movies I want to see though! 

This, plus Crazy Rich Asians and Constance Wu.  I was sooooooooooooooooo happy.  I was over the moon.  I was in such a good mood all day!

• Love 6

Maybe critics are just tired of the whole Mary vs Elizabeth story. Personally I'm more excited about see The Favourite than Mary, Queen of Scots purely because I have not seen anything related to the reign of Queen Anne. Plus I'll admit I'm sick of movies always wanting to have Mary and Elizabeth catching up for a showdown when it never happened in real life.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Was Mary, Queen of Scots ineligible?

It's eligible, but the reviews have been fairly mixed so far. Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie have both gotten very strong individual reviews, but the actress categories (especially lead actress) are really tough this year. Also, it didn't screen at the the earlier festivals (Toronto and Telluride in particular) so they missed out on that early buzz that the other contenders had.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:30 PM, Shannon L. said:

Not sure about the Globes, but at the Oscars at least, I believe it's actually meant to be in large part about how the song serves the movie, so things like the context in which it's used and the scene surrounding it are specifically meant to be taken into account (it's why songs from actual musicals usually have a leg up on something like an end-credits song) which makes "Shallow" hard to beat IMO. As a song alone, I might personally give "Always Remember Us This Way" a slight edge, but "Shallow" serves as the centerpiece of one of the most genuinely thrilling cinematic moments of the year, so I can't really argue against it being the choice.

• Love 5

There are at least 4-5 songs on the ASIB soundtrack that are just fantastic.  They could have easily put more than 1 up for nomination.  I kind of wish they did.  Do you think they will for the Oscars? "Always Remember Us This Way" is great, but I also really love "I Don't Know What Love is" and "Diggin' my Grave" is so good too.  "Shallow" is hard for me to listen to because they showcased it way too much in the promotional stuff for the movie.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I expect them to submit more than Shallow for the Oscars but they have to be careful because too many can result in vote splitting.  I'm assuming they'll submit Shallow, Always Remember Us This Way, and I'll Never Love Again and the ideal result is that only those three get nominated.  Then we can all relax.  I don't expect that to happen so my more realistic hope is that the former two get nominated and, if Shallow has to lose, it will be Always being the spoiler.  I agree that, objectively, Always is the better song but I love Shallow as well and it's role in promoting the movie as well as being the catalyst for the rest of the story is enough for it to earn the Oscar.  Plus we have to remember that way too many Oscar voters not only don't watch all the nominated movies before voting, but that they also seem to be proud to just vote for the pre-ordained winner, and Shallow fits into that category.  At least that batch of voters will be awarding a quality song even if it's not the best objectively.

• Love 3

The rules for the Song category have changed so that you can't get three songs nominated from the same movie anymore. Two songs would be the max.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

LA Film Critics:

Best Picture: Roma
Runner-up: Burning

Director: Debra Granik, Leave No Trace
Runner-up: Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

Actor: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Runner-up: Ben Foster, Leave No Trace

Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Runner-up: Toni Collette, Hereditary

Supporting Actor: Steven Yeun, Burning
Runner-up: Hugh Grant, Paddington 2

Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Runner-up: Elizabeth Debicki, Widows

Screenplay: Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Runner-up: Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite

Documentary: Shirkers
Runner-up: Minding the Gap

Animation: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Runner-up: Incredibles 2

Foreign-language: Burning and Shoplifters (tie)

Editing: Joshua Altman and Bing Liu, Minding the Gap
Runner-up: Alfonso Cuarón and Adam Gough, Roma

Production Design: Hannah Beachler, Black Panther
Runner-up: Fiona Crombie, The Favourite

Music/Score: Nicholas Britell, If Beale Street Could Talk
Runner-up: Justin Hurwitz, First Man

Cinematography: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
Runner-up: James Laxton, If Beale Street Could Talk

LA always likes to make a few outside-the-box choices, and that continues this year with big wins for Steven Yeun and Debra Granik.

On the other hand, Regina King continues to win everything. It'll be interesting to see if she gets Laurie Metcalf'd, or if she just sweeps her way straight to the Oscar.

Critics are really trying to push Ethan Hawke into the Best Actor race. It didn't work at the Globes but we'll see if does at the later shows.

Is Best Picture going to turn into a critics pick Roma vs. populist fave A Star Is Born race? I wonder if the Netflix factor would come into play there.

Edited by AshleyN

SAG nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:
Christian Bale, “Vice”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”
John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role:
Emily Blunt, “Mary Poppins Returns”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role:
Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Timothee Chalamet, “Beautiful Boy”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role:
Amy Adams, “Vice”
Emily Blunt, “A Quiet Place”
Margot Robbie, “Mary Queen of Scots”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
“A Star Is Born”
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“Crazy Rich Asians”

• So much for that Regina King sweep. I wonder if there were screener issues, or if the increasingly populist-leaning SAG just didn't care for Beale Street. I still think an Oscar nomination is all but assured, but this will likely hurt her when it comes to the win.
  • If Bohemian Rhapsody cracks the Best Picture lineup I believe it would be, going by metacritic scores, the worst reviewed movie since Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to do so. That being said the fact that it keeps improbably showing up in overall film categories is making me start to wonder if Rami Malek could actually challenge Bradley Cooper for the Oscar. The movie is clearly loved in some quarters, and he's the easily the most praised element.
  • Given what a banner year this was for diversity in film, it's a shame that it wasn't better reflected here in the individual nominations, especially for the women -- Regina King's snub means that both actress categories are all white. Even if Beale Street wasn't their thing there were other options (most notably Michelle Yeoh, given the fact that they clearly saw and liked Crazy Rich Asians and the randomness of Blunt and (especially) Robbie's mentions there).
  • Did all the other actors in The Favourite suck or something?
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Did all the other actors in The Favourite suck or something?

No, but it's obvious that Colman, Weisz, and Stone are the three leading ladies. No one else has significant enough a part to warrant a nomination, although, I enjoyed Nicholas Noult.

3 hours ago, AshleyN said:

If Bohemian Rhapsody cracks the Best Picture lineup I believe it would be, going by metacritic scores, the worst reviewed movie since Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to do so. That being said the fact that it keeps improbably showing up in overall film categories is making me start to wonder if Rami Malek could actually challenge Bradley Cooper for the Oscar. The movie is clearly loved in some quarters, and he's the easily the most praised element.

I've often wondered if it was easier to perfectly portray an actual person or believably portray a fictional person.  My thought was that at least with a real person, you can study and practice their accent, speech patterns and physical movements.  But on the other hand, with the other, you don't have to be so precise.  I was mesmerized by Rami's performance, but will be happy for Bradley if he wins because I thought he was great, too. 

I'm really surprised by BoRhap getting a nod for an ensemble award and I'm really happy that Emily Blunt was nominated for The Quiet Place.

1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

This is a different award than the LA Critic's Award, right?

Edited by Shannon L.

The Critics Choice Awards are given by the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA), and to be honest, there aren't a lot of "real" critics in this organization. It's a lot of film bloggers and journalists, tv commentators, etc.

But for whatever reason, their taste does tend to line up closer to the Academy's (even if they're absolutely shameless about nominating everyone who could possibly have a chance to get in, which is why they have seven slots for every category and separate action, sci-fi, comedy movies, etc).

• Love 2

Definitely been hearing some complaints about Bohemian Rhapsody getting an ensemble nomination, but while I do think Rami Malek was a step above the rest, I still thought the acting in general was good; especially Lucy Boynton and the three actors who played the other Queen members; so I'm not that upset over it.  Still, if it ends up getting a Best Picture nomination, I can see this film being the one with all the backlash, which will be interesting.  I agree with the stuff above that the A Star is Born group must be loving this, because most thought it would be the one that had the vocal detractors, but despite being a frontrunner, it is somehow almost skating by quietly, while the likes of Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book seem to be courting all of the controversy.

Glad Sam Elliot got a SAG nomination at least and will hopefully get an Oscar as well.  Regina King's absence is a little surprising, but it seems like the SAG just wasn't all that into If Beale Street Could Talk.

It looks like BlackKkKlansman is actually building up a little bit of steam lately.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, PepSinger said:

No, but it's obvious that Colman, Weisz, and Stone are the three leading ladies. No one else has significant enough a part to warrant a nomination, although, I enjoyed Nicholas Noult.

Just making a joke about how it has three of the best performances of the year but not one of the best casts apparently;)

It's a little odd, especially since SAG has films before where the entire nominated ensemble consisted of only three or four actors.

• Love 1

Nicholas Hoult absolutely had enough screen time to warrant a nomination.

The FavouriteIf Beale Street Could Talk, and Roma should all have been nominated for Ensemble; I don't know why the first two weren't nominated, and the third never had a chance to begin with.  The SAG nominating committee basically just went with the biggest hits of the year plus BlacKkKlansman.  The Supporting Actress category is ridiculous; Emily Blunt was the lead in A Quiet Place (#categoryfraud), and the lack of Regina King is indefensible.

The Critics' Choice awards basically exist to try to predict the Oscar winners.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, AshleyN said:

Just making a joke about how it has three of the best performances of the year but not one of the best casts apparently;)

It's a little odd, especially since SAG has films before where the entire nominated ensemble consisted of only three or four actors.

This is why the ensemble category is less about the best cast and more about what movie people just really loved overall. That's why Bohemian Rhapsody getting in there really does tell us how much people are loving that movie in general. It's really loved. I'm starting to think it might get into Best Picture too. And yeah, it'll face a backlash because it will be the worst reviewed movie to get into Best Picture since Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but the Academy has occasionally nominated bad movies throughout its history, it's not like they've all been winners (critically speaking). The Towering Inferno was nominated in 1974 just for being a massive hit- that movie's hardly stood the test of time.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3

I guess the last nail in Ryan Gosling's coffin just got pounded down.

I'm surprised, and incredibly pleased, that Black Panther and Into the Spider-Verse have been getting so much love.  I wonder of AMPAS will nominate the latter for Best Animated Feature to take the heat off of not nominating the former for BP.  I would also assume it might actually have a chance to win, because they've given it to Big Hero 6.

• Love 3

Disappointed no Rosamund Pike nomination from SAG and I'm a little perplexed as to why she's not the Oscar front runner.  If I had a vote, she'd be my choice going away.  (Although I haven't seen The Wife and I do love Glenn Close who is waaaaaaay overdue).  Coleman was fine in The Favourite but, and not that she doesn't bring a nuance to it, the degree of difficulty goes down in playing an over the top character vs a quieter persona that Pike had to do.   

I haven't seen if Beale Street Could Talk but based on what others are saying, plus the fact that she, you know, has the track record of Regina King, it seems as if the snub of Regina King from SAG is indefensible.  The silver lining is that maybe the backlash will propel her to an Oscar win?  Hopefully?  

I'm really pulling for Bohemian Rhapsody to get a best picture nom now just to stick it to the haters.  Neither was a perfect film but it was so much more enjoyable than the meandering A Star is Born (a trait almost every version of that film suffers from).  Plus, the Live Aid scene in Rhapsody might literally be the best concert scene I've ever experienced in a movie.  Not only did I find it extremely well produced, it literally brought tears to my eyes.   That final twenty minutes alone, in my opinion, should be enough to at least get it on the list.  A Rami Malek nomination should be a no doubter.

Honestly, though, and it's probably just me, I feel like it's a weak crop in general.  With the exception of Bohemian Rhapsody and BlacKkKlansman, I could take or leave any of the other movies* likely to get a best picture nomination.

*Still need to see Beale Street, Vice, and Roma.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I'm really pulling for Bohemian Rhapsody to get a best picture nom now just to stick it to the haters. 

I'm still baffled by the critic's response to this movie.  I understand thinking that it might have been better if they'd gone with an R-rating and really delved into the nitty gritty of Freddie's life and the band's experience, and I understand disliking any inaccuracies, but I kept hearing "by the numbers" or "formulaic".  It's a basically a biography--how can it not be by the numbers or formulaic unless they do something like Rocket Man where it appears that it will have a number of fantasy sequences? 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm still baffled by the critic's response to this movie.  I understand thinking that it might have been better if they'd gone with an R-rating and really delved into the nitty gritty of Freddie's life and the band's experience, and I understand disliking any inaccuracies, but I kept hearing "by the numbers" or "formulaic".  It's a basically a biography--how can it not be by the numbers or formulaic unless they do something like Rocket Man where it appears that it will have a number of fantasy sequences? 

Exactly.  Like I said, not a perfect movie, and I can definitely identify with those unhappy with inaccuracies, but taken at face value it was still one of, if not the most, enjoyable and emotional experiences I had at the movies this year.  To each his own but some of the reviews seemed unduly harsh.

• Love 4

I'm basing this post on the SAG award nominees for Best Actor.  I've seen BoRhap, Blackkklansman and A Star is Born.  I intend to see Green Book and Vice asap.  So, having only seen three of the performances, I'll say this:

I went into the season thinking that Bradley would be the winner and considered Rami a very close second, but would be happy if he won, too.  However, I just watched an interview with Rami about his role as Freddie and realized just how much of a transformation went through and am now hoping that he wins.  I've seen each movie 3 times (I don't do that often) and I'm now giving the edge to Rami.  Of course, that may change when I see the other two (especially Vice).

• Love 2