Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Too Close for Comfort

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, ramble said:

Mia actually broke out the “I love you.”  Even Tristan looked a bit taken aback. It felt grossly manipulative to me. Tristan’s continually talking about moving forward from this event and honesty, blah, blah, blah. And she chimes in with lurve, true lurve. I chalked that up to advance payment on some needed butt covering. I heavily question why Tristan is being so trusting. 

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Tristan talks like he knows Mia for years.  He said something about her always being there for him.  "Always" meaning 10 whole days?  Well, he did say they packed a whole lot into those days, but still.  They have fantasized this relationship into epic proportions.

As someone upthread mentioned, Tristan had already said in one of his talking heads, something about being in love with Mia.  And this was while she was not yet back from her stint in the pokey.  SMH.

20 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Unfiltered...

Dave gets goofed on by the panel for his sweaty salsa tantrum.

Pastor Cal continued to roast Dave as he squirmed in the chair...see what I did there....

Bobby made a funny in a not seen before scene where he dunks himself in the cold water...”there goes my peen for the rest of the honeymoon”...

Dave and Amber and boob wrinkles.

Humbleopinion, please continue posting Unfiltered summaries (and expand them if you're willing!).  I watch the show on the Lifetime website the next day, and for whatever idiotic reason, Unfiltered isn't posted.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm guessing she has to pay out the lease for the rest of the term.

Bobby seems smart with money.  Unless she is not allowed to sublease, then there would be no reason to pay out the lease for the rest of the term, if she could sub-lease instead.

10 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I did like that Danielle said that she feeds her dog(s) before she feeds herself, which I interpreted as, I'm willing to forego buying food for myself if I don't have the funds for both dog food and people food. 

Yes, but, she also said something about being so happy to see her dog run, because she's never seen the dog run before since she lives in an apartment.  I was flabbergasted.

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Everything she's done feels grossly manipulative to me.  

Yes, and just flat out weird.  The thing that stood out the most for me is that in her talking head, she said something like the best thing about being with Tristan is that when she's with him, she doesn't have to think.  WTAF?  

3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I would love to sit down and grill Tristan's mother.  How did she raise such a son so colorist that he's willing to let a woman into his life, who has lied about something pretty major. 

We do know that he prefers light-skinned, but we don't know that the reason he's sticking with Mia is because she's light-skinned.  He also seems very Christian, and forgiveness is a huge part of that, so maybe that's the reason.  Heck, it could even be just for the money from the show, or being worried that when the show is edited, he'll look like a d*ck if he takes a hard role. 

• Love 7

The cat wasn't doing anything abnormal but if they're going to have it inside all the time it will need an area of its own to hang out and some toys or it will get into stuff. Dave gets uptight over stupid things like the plant. How's it going to be if they have kids? He just seems tightly wound.

Mia saying I love you was gross. She's trying to make up for lying by jumping into the deep end and it's really transparent.

Danielle's eyelashes look like spiders got stuck to her eyes. She's been spending money based on what women's magazines are pushing. She and Bobby didn't seem fazed by the dog peeing repeatedly on their bed so either they're both disgusting or super chill.

• Love 6

Just watched the episode.

Now that I see Danielle is in debt, I like her because she makes mistakes and isn't perfect.  It's relatable.

And Bobby's program must have malfunctioned because he was acting more like a human today.  I'm sure they'll bring him back to the shop for repairs before next week's episode. 

Still not a fan of Dave. 

Not going to give Mia the satisfaction of talking about her.

Btw, they pay $5k a month for this now?  Looks like I'm getting married next year.  Don't worry I'll put on a good show.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Kareem said:

I'm not buying that Dave likes people. Doesn't seem to like his parents. Seems to get easily frustrated with Amber.  Says he doesn't care what his friends think while they're all sitting there at brunch.  He's the Grinch. Weird.  

Add to that that he doesn’t seem to like cats, closets or women’s shoes either. 

• Love 6

Mia closed her eyes as she said "I love you" to Tristan, who then looked uncomfortable. It was an awkward moment.

Puppers needs a crate for house training; he can follow the lead of the big doggers for outside time.  That bed of his is toast now; he'll always smell it & continually go back to pee there.

1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, but, she also said something about being so happy to see her dog run, because she's never seen the dog run before since she lives in an apartment.  I was flabbergasted.

Henry may lose some weight, unless he enjoys too much of Bobby's cooking.

On Unfiltered JamieO seemed unusually stumped to silence a couple of times; it was kind of surreal. 

Also Unfiltered- Pastor Cal with his "yeeeaaaahh's'  & half shut eyes seems like he's been toking with Derek, which would explain some of these matches...

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3

I imagine Bobby is following the Dave Ramsey plan where debt is a 4 letter word.  He seemed pretty appalled at her debt. Though significant, it’s not insurmountable. 

Dave and Amber are already having problems on every level.  This does not bode well.  He has a serious case of stick in assitis. 

• Love 11

This is the way I see Dave. He's has his life way for a long time. Never truly had a woman come in and disrupt it. So, this is like going from 0 to 100 real quick. Of course, why be on the show if that's a problem? But, it's a process if you haven't dealt with it before. I've never had to share any space with anyone but my parents and I like it. As much as wish to find love one day the thought of having so much of my life and routine changed is not the most appealing thing. I enjoy my space.

Doesn't make him a bad guy. Doesn't mean he doesn't like people. I love people. I also love my space. It doesn't always connect. 

And I dont understand all the analysis over his wall of friends or seemingly not that close to his family. I'm not either. That's because most of my family sucks. There is no grand mystery. Not with me. I'm also not super close with my dad. Not for any reason. That's just our relationship. If we had a get together after the wedding it would have been my mom, maybe my dad and friends. My friends are more my family than my family at the age of 35. I'm not obsessed with them or spend a super amount of time with them. But, they are still my family. I don't call people my friends unless i love them like family. I dont have a shrine or anything but if his bros are his family than that's great. Family is what you make it.

ETA: I wish there wasn't repeated question of how will Dave handle kids if the cat annoys him. Not everyone views pets like children. How someone treats or likes pets does not have to mean anything in terms how one likes or treats children.

Ugh. This is season of pets. Will be my least favorite by far. The bride and doom podcast would be having a field day with this.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

Also Unfiltered- Pastor Cal with his "yeeeaaaahh's'  & half shut eyes seems like he's been toking with Derek, which would explain some of these matches...

I didn't see Unfiltered, but I loved this imagery (and hypothesis)!!!!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:
12 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm not buying that Dave likes women.  

OMG you and I think alike!  I just had the same thought earlier.  Like what if that's the reason he's so into his "bros", and the one that Amber dated was one of his former interests?  That would explain why he was so upset to hear that she dated the guy.  Plus my gaydar is picking up something.  He could be bisexual or even metrosexual (and a lot of younger men are certainly the latter), but I still wonder about him.

I was talking to my friend about the episode (we analyze everything like we're FBI profilers) and she said the same thing! I disagreed. To me, Dave's body comes off as if he's a former overweight individual and he lost the weight in late high school/early college a result of losing that weight and being more fit was meeting his group of bros and because he didn't get to live that "cool jock" "popular kids" in his adolescence, he continues to live that out through said bros and this manifests in interesting (and for me creepy ways) like his wall of bros in the entryway. I don't see gay, just arrested development. I'm willing, however, to hear more evidence. 

Regarding Danielle and Bobby, not a penny of the stipend should go to her debt. Now maybe I'm just a broke bitch, but how is it that one can get enough credit to eat, pray, love around the world? She needs to learn some discipline and pay it off herself. I don't know what she has done to her lashes (I assume extensions) but she needs to go down to the local beauty supply, buy a 5 pack of Ardell Whispies and call it a day. 

That said, I do think it's a bit unfair for the person whose living space they choose to reside to just basically have their bills paid for two months if the relationship doesn't work out. I'm an advocate for getting a new neutral place anyway. Seeing one's space entered and invaded and changed is much more likely to cause conflict in relationships this fresh. That's good for my viewing pleasure, but not for the relationship. Now I'll contradict myself and say I'd never move out of a place I owned for a relationship this fresh, that's crazy talk.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

ETA: I wish there wasn't repeated question of how will Dave handle kids if the cat annoys him. Not everyone views pets like children. How someone treats or likes pets does not have to mean anything in terms how one likes or treats children.

I think the connection is that kids, like pets, are a disruption from a regimented, routine life such as Dave's.  And not questioning how he will "treat" a child vs a pet, but just how difficult it might be for him to adjust.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Marsh said:

Now that I see Danielle is in debt, I like her because she makes mistakes and isn't perfect.  It's relatable.

Nobody on this show is anywhere near perfect.  But if her debt is a mistake, it's a mistake she's continuing to make by funneling money to very discretionary areas instead of paying off the debt, so she's not learning anything from her mistake, which I don't personally find endearing.  I wouldn't be surprised if she sees her $300/month (IIRC) credit card payment as a fixed expense, and that's definitely a mistake, and one that I hope not that many people find relatable because it can be financially ruinous.

8 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I imagine Bobby is following the Dave Ramsey plan where debt is a 4 letter word.  He seemed pretty appalled at her debt. Though significant, it’s not insurmountable. 

It's not insurmountable, but I don't believe that, without Bobby being around, it was going to stay at that amount.  It's not like she's paying off a one-time hospital bill--the debt was due to her lifestyle.  That's why her current "fixed expense" is liable to creep up and up.

3 hours ago, EmZeeGee said:

To me, Dave's body comes off as if he's a former overweight individual and he lost the weight in late high school/early college a result of losing that weight and being more fit was meeting his group of bros and because he didn't get to live that "cool jock" "popular kids" in his adolescence, he continues to live that out through said bros and this manifests in interesting (and for me creepy ways) like his wall of bros in the entryway. I don't see gay, just arrested development. I'm willing, however, to hear more evidence.

I can totally believe that he used to be overweight.  There was something there for me that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and being overweight fits.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

This is the way I see Dave. He's has his life way for a long time. Never truly had a woman come in and disrupt it. So, this is like going from 0 to 100 real quick. Of course, why be on the show if that's a problem? But, it's a process if you haven't dealt with it before. I've never had to share any space with anyone but my parents and I like it. As much as wish to find love one day the thought of having so much of my life and routine changed is not the most appealing thing. I enjoy my space.

Doesn't make him a bad guy. Doesn't mean he doesn't like people. I love people. I also love my space. It doesn't always connect. 

And I dont understand all the analysis over his wall of friends or seemingly not that close to his family. I'm not either. That's because most of my family sucks. There is no grand mystery. Not with me. I'm also not super close with my dad. Not for any reason. That's just our relationship. If we had a get together after the wedding it would have been my mom, maybe my dad and friends. My friends are more my family than my family at the age of 35. I'm not obsessed with them or spend a super amount of time with them. But, they are still my family. I don't call people my friends unless i love them like family. I dont have a shrine or anything but if his bros are his family than that's great. Family is what you make it.

Ugh. This is season of pets. Will be my least favorite by far. The bride and doom podcast would be having a field day with this.

Word. I hate cats. I like kids. One has nothing to do with the other. The annoying shit cats do is more annoying to me because I hate cats and deliberately do not choose to be around them if I can help it (I have friends with cats who know I don't like them, so we all do our best when I'm at their places). The annoying shit kids do is less annoying because I like kids and have chosen, many many many times, to be around them and take care of them. Dave didn't choose Paisley and he may not be a pet person; if/when he has kids, he'll be choosing what comes with them. And they WILL annoy him and so will Amber or whoever he ends up with because anyone will get on your nerves when you see them 24/7, even people you love, and that's just life. No parent is like "Yay!" when their kid flushes a toy car down the toilet and somebody has to call a plumber, or when they step on a Lego in the middle of the night (I swear we could weaponize Legos, if we thought about it).

4 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

[Danielle's debt is] not insurmountable, but I don't believe that, without Bobby being around, it was going to stay at that amount.  It's not like she's paying off a one-time hospital bill--the debt was due to her lifestyle.  That's why her current "fixed expense" is liable to creep up and up.

Yeah, I think that had Danielle not married Bobby, she wouldn't have prioritized paying off her debt at all. She knows enough to be embarrassed about it with him but if she weren't forced to share it with him, I think she'd continue to view it flippantly. She said she loves to travel, which I totally get - so do I. But she also seems like the sort of person who swipes her card whenever the travel bug hits, as opposed to Dave who mentioned a "travel fund," and who views her beauty stuff as essentials and if she's cash-poor at waxing time, out comes the card, and she's totally fine with that and with paying the minimums. 

• Love 4

I initially thought Dave might be lying about a woman never living there (like, never gave up her own place, changed address on license, etc., but otherwise stayed with him, so not *technically* living there), but now I believe it.  He does not want to share his space. Which is fine, so long as he stays single and doesn't try to force another person into his sterile, rigid life.  

I love seeing Danielle and Bobby with the dogs.  I find the willingness for a single person to take on the responsibility of a living, breathing creature an attractive quality in a person.   

Is 15k in debt really that unusual? My friends must be spendy.  I hate debt and live completely debt free, but I had a good 12k in debt in my 20s and paid it off in a couple of years.  I'd want a partner to pay it off, but I wouldn't be horrified by that number.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I think it's just his constant mention of his "buddies" that is starting to sound a tad bit annoying. First when we were introduced to Dave it was with all his buddies, then his groomsmen buddies, wedding brunch buddies, then his gym buddy, then his wall of buddies, now next week Amber will be meeting his buddies. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, EmZeeGee said:

I was talking to my friend about the episode (we analyze everything like we're FBI profilers) and she said the same thing! I disagreed. To me, Dave's body comes off as if he's a former overweight individual and he lost the weight in late high school/early college a result of losing that weight and being more fit was meeting his group of bros and because he didn't get to live that "cool jock" "popular kids" in his adolescence, he continues to live that out through said bros and this manifests in interesting (and for me creepy ways) like his wall of bros in the entryway. I don't see gay, just arrested development. I'm willing, however, to hear more evidence. 

There are a few things that make me wonder about Dave's sexuality, such as not being that close to his parents, being single at his age, not seeming completely open about his past, seeming a little skittish about being involved with a woman in general, feeling like he's hiding something, etc.  I'm sure part of it is commitment-phobia, but I'm feeling like there's even more to it.  Why is he so distant from his parents?   Maybe in addition to other difficulties with them, he's hiding something from them?  He strikes me as one of those guys that's basically straight but has had gay episodes that he keeps firmly in the closet.  There are a lot of mainly straight guys out there that engage in gay hook-ups now and then that don't want anyone to know about it.  They don't want people to think they're gay because they're basically straight and that's the identity they want to be known to have.  Something tells me he could be one of those guys.  He seems like he'd be far more comfortable being alone but having hook ups with no emotional involvement than being in a committed, intimate relationship with a woman.  Sure, he could do that with women too, but something still tells me he's hiding something and based on all the other stuff I'm seeing, having had gay episodes in his past seems like it could be a possibility.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Nobody on this show is anywhere near perfect.  But if her debt is a mistake, it's a mistake she's continuing to make by funneling money to very discretionary areas instead of paying off the debt, so she's not learning anything from her mistake, which I don't personally find endearing.  I wouldn't be surprised if she sees her $300/month (IIRC) credit card payment as a fixed expense, and that's definitely a mistake, and one that I hope not that many people find relatable because it can be financially ruinous.

I see a direct correlation between expensive waxing, nail, eyebrow and eyelash treatments and Danielle's inability to pay off her $15,000 "travel" debt.  I doubt very much that she's in the income bracket to afford those kinds of things on a regular basis without going into debt over it.  Now, I'm of her parents' generation and I never engaged in salon treatments until I was in my 40s because I couldn't afford it, and quite frankly I thought I looked good without it.  I couldn't afford it again when I was unemployed during the recession and now I do those things myself (I don't do waxing or fake eyelashes.  I pluck and shave like we used to do in the "old days").  What bothers me is how many young people see these kinds of things as "normal" entitlements as if they are necessities.  First of all, she's too young to need all that professional intervention to look good.  If she thinks she needs all that now, how is she going to feel when she's 45 or 50?  Plus I hate to tell her but all that stuff is not making her look better.  She's wasting her money.  Also, what bothers me is that she never considered finding a way to get out of that debt, but just let it pile up.  Now I had no choice when I was out of a job during the recession, but what's her excuse?  Unless she's wrecked her credit rating she could easily get one of those crowd funding loans like "Lending Club" that would cost $300-400 a month and she'd pay it off in only 3 years.  If she hasn't considered that then she's just plain irresponsible and dumb.  Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

We do know that he prefers light-skinned, but we don't know that the reason he's sticking with Mia is because she's light-skinned.  He also seems very Christian, and forgiveness is a huge part of that, so maybe that's the reason.  Heck, it could even be just for the money from the show, or being worried that when the show is edited, he'll look like a d*ck if he takes a hard role. 

The fact Tristan actually mentioned wanting a light-skinned wife to me, meant that's something important to him.

I don't know; I mean if a=b and b=c then a=c.  It's not just that Tristan is staying with Mia, it's his giddiness, the fact he's so over the moon with Mia.  I really do not think Tristan would act the same way if he didn't think Mia was gorgeous, in Tristan's case, light skinned. 

• Love 1

Dave's glory days was him as a frat boy in college...He tries to recreate that band of bros with dudes he meets playing ball, the gym, work.

Bros turn into husbands, dads, and have moved on but Dave stays ready to play ball a couple times of week...whining if they can't show up...

Dave has managed to keep adding the the band of bros but as he ages he cannot keep up with the young guys' basketball games so he holds tight to those his age...

Dave gives shit to the bro who has  to stop showing up because he has to work longer hours for his growing family or do family responsibilities instead of playing ball and then hanging out having a beer until 10pm on a work day night.

Dave works from home so he doesn't have to fight Dallas commuter traffic to get to the gym...he gets to the gym early to warm up and hold the court for the game...

The wives are getting sick of Uncle Dave....they want someone else to take care of him....

The extreme form of Dave is the Patrick Bergin character in Sleeping with the Enemy with everything like remotes positioned ...just so...

Amber seems as jumpy as Julia Roberts when the labels of the groceries in the pantry aren't all lined up and the bath towels are askew......

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

The fact Tristan actually mentioned wanting a light-skinned wife to me, meant that's something important to him.

I don't know; I mean if a=b and b=c then a=c.  It's not just that Tristan is staying with Mia, it's his giddiness, the fact he's so over the moon with Mia.  I really do not think Tristan would act the same way if he didn't think Mia was gorgeous, in Tristan's case, light skinned. 

I think there are a lot of factors going into the reasons why Tristan is staying with Mia.  Being light skinned is only one of them.  There are potentially far more compelling reasons than that for him to continue with her given the pressure and incentive the show gives them them to stay together, and how fatalistic he is about "God's will" and his duty to whatever he thinks is God's will.  I doubt that if all other factors remained the same and she just happened to be dark skinned he would be saying right now, "OK, I'm out of here".

I think Tristan thinks that it's not only the show that brought him together with Mia, but God.  He thinks she is the one that God has chosen for him, working through the show to bring her to him (and I'm sure she's played that hand with him too).  It wouldn't matter if she were one eyed and purple at this point, he would stick with her.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

I doubt that if all other factors remained the same and she just happened to be dark skinned he would be saying right now, "OK, I'm out of here".

He might not have said "OK I'm out of here," but he wouldn't be as gushing as he is with Mia.  It's a little more than "God's Will."

39 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I see a direct correlation between expensive waxing, nail, eyebrow and eyelash treatments and Danielle's $15,000 debt.  I doubt very much that she's in the income bracket to afford those kinds of things on a regular basis without going into debt over it.  Now, I'm of her parents' generation and I never engaged in salon treatments until I was in my 40s because I couldn't afford it, and quite frankly I thought I looked good without it.  I couldn't afford it again when I was unemployed during the recession and now I do those things myself (I don't do waxing or fake eyelashes.  I pluck and shave like we used to do in the "old days").  What bothers me is how many young people see these kinds of things as "normal" entitlements as if they are necessities.

You are SO right about this.   For the past few days there has been a story in NYC about a fight at a nail salon, over a $5 eyebrow wax.  When I was a freshman in college, over 40 years ago, my roommate taught me how to pluck my eyebrows.  That's what people did, plus it saved a lot of money.  Most of us did our own nails, going to get a mani/pedi was something people with money did, or something you did for a special occasion.  Now I see regular folk going to the nail salon every week and if you really can't afford it, it's easy to get into debt. 

• Love 5

Credit cards are convenient but need to be used w care.  When starting out in my career and building a professional wardrobe, I charged ibig amounts, but I didn’t use the card again until it was paid off.  I’m not some super financially responsible person, but credit card interest is ruinous.  I had a secretary once who had 90,000 in credit card debt.  She finally had to declare bankruptcy.  Madness.

• Love 4

IF the marriage to Bobby sticks then Dannielle will have to consider stopping having to glue spiders to her eyelids regularly since she is off the dating market...

She can then switch to an occasional full lash treatment instead an standing appoint with her lash person.

Wean herself off to just one spider to each eye instead of the 3 she gets glued to each eyelid.

Danielle is the type of person who has a high tolerance threshold for credit card debt...

For Bobby that amount is zero...Danielle it must be $15,000-20,000.

How she is able to sleep peacefully with that much outstanding debt accruing daily is a wonderment to fiscally responsible people.

Bobby is staring at the ceiling at 2am trying to figure out how to pay it off...maybe borrow a lump sum from Mama?

But then Mama will hate Danielle...

Wanna bet Danielle has a trip in the planning but put it off only because of the M@FS application process?

Danielle may decide she doesn't want to be stuck at home and paying off her credit card debt...that would be her deal breaker, she isn't ready to settle down.

I can't imagine Bobby wanting to spend money to travel to exotic places if the credit card debt is still hanging over their heads....

Too bad she has put him in the position of being the wet blanket....

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

He might not have said "OK I'm out of here," but he wouldn't be as gushing as he is with Mia.  It's a little more than "God's Will."

Perhaps it's part of it, but I think Tristan's gushing is partly because she's manipulating his emotions so well.  She knows just how to work him for her own advantage.   She's probably saying stuff like "God brought us together for a reason" and all that garbage.  It's hard to watch him being taken by what I see as a con.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4

Hoping Tristan's mother won't let Mia off the hook with her half assed explanations...

Let Mia speak in full sentences and do not finish her sentences.

Give her all the rope she needs to hang herself in her lies.

Mother needs to cut through the bullshit Mia been shoveling and her gullible son been accepting.

Let it be Mia's "come to Jesus" moment because Tristan been playing the fool long enough.....

In the tease, Tristan has red rimmed eyes while Mia is dried eye and staring down Mother Thompson......

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Neurochick said:
28 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I doubt that if all other factors remained the same and she just happened to be dark skinned he would be saying right now, "OK, I'm out of here".

Of course it's important.  Marriage in today's society is based on love, and love is almost always based on physical attraction, and we can't help who we're attracted to.  In Tristan's case, it happens to be lighter skinned women.  It could have been darker skinned men.  He can't help who he's attracted to.

This is something I started thinking about 20 years ago, when online dating first came on the scene.  I would always see men in their 40s wanting women who were 25-35.  It used to crawl all over me, but then I realized that it was the one time they can actually specify exactly what they're looking for, so they'd be fools not to say what it is.  I may find their preferences repellent, but I don't have to respond.  And we can actually be grateful that he said it so women don't naively position themselves for rejection because they didn't know he wouldn't be attracted to them just because they're the same age he is.  How does that benefit anybody? 

You're focusing on color, but it also happens with height--another immutable characteristic.  How many women would prefer a man who's 6 feet tall over one who's 5'6"?  Are they prejudiced against short men?  Who knows?  What we do know is that they're not attracted to them, which is different from being prejudiced against them.

This show isn't "Business Partner At First Sight," or "Workout Buddy At First Sight," where a person's color really shouldn't matter.  But we're talking about marriage, and physical intimacy is an important part of marriage.  And everybody has innate preferences about who they want to be physically intimate with, and if there's a team of "experts" matching you up, why wouldn't you say what you want? 

Of course, the show could have been a little more discreet and not shown him saying that.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one or even all of the women said they want someone tall, but we didn't see that.  But the fact that he did say it doesn't make me feel differently toward him because it was in the context of what he's attracted to.  If he'd said he prefers a lighter skinned accountant or waiter, then yeah, I'd judge him harshly for that.  But someone he's expected to get an erection over?  Not so much. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Dave's glory days was him as a frat boy in college...He tries to recreate that band of bros with dudes he meets playing ball, the gym, work.

Bros turn into husbands, dads, and have moved on but Dave stays ready to play ball a couple times of week...whining if they can't show up...

Dave has managed to keep adding the the band of bros but as he ages he cannot keep up with the young guys' basketball games so he holds tight to those his age...

Dave gives shit to the bro who has  to stop showing up because he has to work longer hours for his growing family or do family responsibilities instead of playing ball and then hanging out having a beer until 10pm on a work day night.

Dave works from home so he doesn't have to fight Dallas commuter traffic to get to the gym...he gets to the gym early to warm up and hold the court for the game...

The wives are getting sick of Uncle Dave....they want someone else to take care of him....

The extreme form of Dave is the Patrick Bergin character in Sleeping with the Enemy with everything like remotes positioned ...just so...

Amber seems as jumpy as Julia Roberts when the labels of the groceries in the pantry aren't all lined up and the bath towels are askew......

It's always funny to me how people on this show have their personality and way of being broken down over so little info.

Not to say you are wrong. I just dont project things on to them. I go by what I see on these shows. You could pick up a bit about Dave just by watching so far. I just dont have a whole profile laid out for him.

6 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I think the connection is that kids, like pets, are a disruption from a regimented, routine life such as Dave's.  And not questioning how he will "treat" a child vs a pet, but just how difficult it might be for him to adjust.

At the end of the day, it's still a cat. Not a kid. It's his choice to have kid. He didn't choose this thing to be all over his stuff.

He's proven himself to be maybe too rigid period. Whether or not he can handle the cat doesn't mean anything to me. I also don't think he's a pet person in general but always thought, well it's what comes with a family! If he really thought about, I think he would have said no pets. I feel like they didn't dig enough with him or he wasn't open enough based on what we've seen. 

He's been alone too long to take to this experiment as quickly as one could. Probably not a good fit for this show. Then again, people spending beyond their means with no plans to change isn't ready for marriage either. Neither are stalkers. Many questionable choices this year. More than ever.

On the credit card thing, I've charged anything on my credit card I wasn't going to pay off in at least a couple of months. I just don't live like that. I don't create unnecessary debt or live outside of my means. I can't really get down with making more future more difficult in order to live a way you want in present but shouldn't be. I'm always thinking about the future. To me people out here struggling, homeless, jobless for me not to worry about what may come. Not to the point where it overtakes my life, I just way things out logically if need be.

They talk about all these important factors in marriage but don't seem to be weeding out people that clearly cause such factors to erupt. Entertainment trumps all.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Perhaps it's part of it, but I think Tristan's gushing is partly because she's manipulating his emotions so well.  She knows just how to work him for her own advantage.   She's probably saying stuff like "God brought us together for a reason" and all that garbage.  It's hard to watch him being taken by what I see as a con.

I honestly think Tristan's reaction is based on quite a number of factors. I think he believes a spouse should always "have your back, no matter what," --for example. And, whether it's because of Tristan's religious beliefs, or because Mia acts like a scared little girl who needs 'saving,' or because of physical attraction, or even because that drama at the airport truly helped to 'bring them together as a couple' --Tristan is clearly hooked. 

As for Mia... I think she's incredibly manipulative, and doesn't hesitate to lie (or even to break the law) in order to get what she wants. But I also think she believes in "love at first sight," and she --invests her emotions way too deeply into new and/or unstable relationships. As for hiding her face in Tristan's chest-- obviously, he loves it! But I think she is also trying to hide from the camera. I do think she's shy, to begin with. But she obviously knows she hasn't told him the whole truth, and she doesn't want her face to reveal her real self to the audience.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Perhaps it's part of it, but I think Tristan's gushing is partly because she's manipulating his emotions so well.  She knows just how to work him for her own advantage.  It's hard to watch him being taken by what I see as a con.

But, I think the reason she's able to manipulate his emotions is because of the way she looks.  He may do all this talk about God and God's will, but I'm sure her looks play a huge part in his thinking.

One more thing, color isn't the same as height.  It's NOT the same thing.  Colorism is really saying, "I want a partner who doesn't look SO black."  That's what is being said.  Someone linked an article about Pastor Cal, and one of the things he said was how it was hard finding black men who wanted to date black women and vice versa.  I don't think that's just about appearances.

Many con artists are attractive people because people will let an attractive person get away with things they'd never allow an unattractive person to get away with. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

But, I think the reason she's able to manipulate his emotions is because of the way she looks.  He may do all this talk about God and God's will, but I'm sure her looks play a huge part in his thinking.

One more thing, color isn't the same as height.  It's NOT the same thing.  Colorism is really saying, "I want a partner who doesn't look SO black."  That's what is being said.  Someone linked an article about Pastor Cal, and one of the things he said was how it was hard finding black men who wanted to date black women and vice versa.  I don't think that's just about appearances.

Many con artists are attractive people because people will let an attractive person get away with things they'd never allow an unattractive person to get away with. 

Yep. If he didn't find her hot, he would have cut and run at the airport. But, a lot of people are willing to ignore a lot for the physical. Those people probably shouldn't be getting married but what do I know. He seems happier than a lot of people out the gate on this show. More power to him.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Me too, and don't think I didn't remind my husband how much less I spend on grooming than a lot of women after this episode (he watches the show too)!

My husband actually made the observation on his own while we were watching the show!  He is especially grateful that I’m so clutter free. He never realized how good he has it!!

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:36 AM, Ilovepie said:

Also - what was that thing Bobby used on the bathroom drain? I need it!

I actually called my husband into the room to watch that because we have the same thing for when my bathroom sink is absolutely clogged with hair!  It's a toothy-like piece of thin plastic that goes down the drain and gathers all the clumps of hair.  We found it in the plumbing section at Lowe's.  I told him it was absolutely the only real life thing I had seen on MAFS.  Except for Henry who is adorable and my favorite dog colors. 

I hope we make it to the end of the season because I think in another two weeks these people will all be crying to get out for one reason or another. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, glitterpussy said:

Ugh, who knew Dave would turn out to be the creepiest? We know now why he's still single. Rigid, no fun, judgmental, uptight, WAY too into his friends. 

I think he must have a truly awful family. That's why he has all these relationship issues and why he clings to his friend group so tightly.  Although Amber and her "I'm a jealous person so I hope no other girls have lived here" bullshit is no better...girl, what? YOU have been around the block, so you have no standing to say anything. Go try on some of your cheap ugly shoes you're hoarding.

I predict Danielle and Bobby crash and burn. They're way too happy.

Tristan and Mia-- fake again, snore, ffw.

Did Amber and Dave each think they were going to marry people who are in their mid to late thirties that are virgins? I would be more worried if a 38-year-old man told me he had never been in a serious relationship.

18 hours ago, Neurochick said:

She's light.  Need I say more?

I think a lot of people today have some type of mental health issue.  So, she's not unique there.

Here's my armchair psychologist theory about Mia.  When I was in college some 40 years ago, I had a friend who was mixed race.  At that time, white men weren't as enamored of mixed race women as they are today, meaning they were more into Farrah Fawcett, Christie  Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs that they would have been to someone like Kim Kardashian, it's a generalization, but one that was true, at least where I went to school.  Anyway, my friend came out with a group of us to a dance given by one of the black clubs and DAMN, it was like some of those guys had never seen a woman before.  Talk about drooling over someone. 

My point is, a lot of men are colorist, and a lot of those men are black, and a lot of black men want a woman lighter skinned than they.  My friend figured that out and started dating only black men.  I wonder if Mia is the same way, maybe she dated only white men but they might have left her for a white woman, or something (or maybe they left her because she was nusto).  So Mia realized she would have more luck with colorist black men, enter Tristan, who's a sucker, a colorist sucker. 

He's not in love with Mia, he's in love with the way she looks.  Just my two cents.

As a woman of color, I have found this to be very true. Colorism is rampant in many cultures and it is always is about trying to fit in more with the ruling classes than physical attraction. The standards of beauty have changed to include many mixed race features, but that has just made the colorism worse.

18 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I would love to sit down and grill Tristan's mother.  How did she raise such a son so colorist that he's willing to let a woman into his life, who has lied about something pretty major.  Look, people like on their resumes, they lie about all kinds of stuff, but something as important as having a warrant out for your arrest is something a person really shouldn't lie about.

Tristan's mom better knock some sense into him and get his "colorstruck" blinders off.

17 hours ago, aphroditewitch said:

I find it interesting that apparently the couples will stay in their actual homes this season versus other season where there was the whole house hunt. Unless that is coming next week. I wonder what prompted the change. Where they just unable to find places in the area that would allow them to film? Or did they just find this to be better for the budget of the show, which seems more likely. 

It always felt like one person would stop staying at the "communal" place" unless they were filming. The producers probably figured it was a waste of money anyway. It seems all the wives have moved into their husband's pads. It was funny people commenting on the small apartments compared to NYC standard where people make due with much less space. I guess everything is bigger in Texas.

17 hours ago, PityFree said:

It cracks me up that the experts tried to position the change as being a good thing: to alleviate financial stress that normal couples are challenged with.  The producers are getting a little bit more drama when one partner moves into another partner’s turf simply by giving the couple of the option of keeping the money the producers would normally pay to AirBNB  or whatever company they use to arrange their short term home rentals.

ETA:  what I mean to say is it’s not necessarily a bad thing to do housing and money this way. I just think it’s funny that the experts decided it was to save the couples from financial arguments.

Word

16 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

agreed

she also is not very Dog smart the way she introduced the two dogs

Pee pads work great with puppies

I worry about her overweight do that she has never seen "run". Does she not ever take that poor thing out for exercise?

16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think it just worked out that way this season because the participants already had pretty good places to live, which is an advertisement for the relatively low cost of living in Texas.  I think the show realized that and told them that they could always stay in one of their existing places if they wanted to, and to make it even easier for them they'd give them $5,000 per month anyway even if they didn't seek a new place to live.  Otherwise we'd be asking if they were still getting anything extra from the show even though they didn't get a new place.  I think they always got an amount of money from the show toward rent on a new place, but the show just didn't make that public.

Agreed.

If Dave didn't want pets, he should've stated - NO pets.

If Dave wanted someone with his own religious beliefs - he should've stated that.

If Dave didn't want someone who had known one of his buddies - he should've found someone himself.

Dave's mantra is 'well I've gotta make it work'.  He's old enough to know what he wants & doesn't want. If he was so particular he should've been very specific with the 'experts' (although that might have eliminated him due to lack of choices), continued to search for himself, or decide to live happily single for the rest of his life. 

Maybe this getting married thing was to keep up with the buddies, but he's not flexible enough for marriage.  Time will tell.

• Love 8

Time for Henry to get his own 15 minutes of fame on a basic cable show like his human...

Danielle sign him up for Animal Planet's My Big Fat Pet Makeover...

Fans would love to see Henry getting fit and a healthy weight for his height...

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, TVJunkee said:

I actually called my husband into the room to watch that because we have the same thing for when my bathroom sink is absolutely clogged with hair!  It's a toothy-like piece of thin plastic that goes down the drain and gathers all the clumps of hair.  We found it in the plumbing section at Lowe's.  I told him it was absolutely the only real life thing I had seen on MAFS.  Except for Henry who is adorable and my favorite dog colors. 

Ha! I also just bought one on Amazon for $9.99- it's a 6 pack with a small auger (is that the correct word?) like we have for the toilet. I  don't have super long hair but I shed - can't wait. I agree - this is probably the most useful thing to ever come from watching this show ;-p

I also find Paisley adorable - I loved the shot they caught of the cat just chilling and looking at the camera like "Can you believe this guy? What is his problem?"

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I agree, but then I see the heat that Tristan is taking for expressing his preferences.

And everyone has preferences. I don't knock anyone for it. My problem is knocking down a certain group of people while propping up said preference.

I don't care if Tristan is generally just attracted to light skinned women and I don't have any curiosity about how he came to that conclusion. It means nothing about how he raised either. But, I would have a problem with him saying he only dates light skin women because dark skin women are ugly with bad attitudes. Like what you like but don't tear down other people in the process. He hasn't so i don't care. 

I think some people don't think about how much certain things might bother them until it's in their face. I never truly thought about how much someone in unnecessary debt might bother me until episode. I might not if even brought it up beforehand. I realize that I would have a problem with it now. It's not something we couldn't work through. Just not something I prefer to deal with.

But, humans are human. Meaning we all have flaws. There will be some that bother you but it's all about what you are willing to work through. 

I have some preferences that aren't super important and some that are. I try to be more flexible as I older.

It's nothing reason why this whole thing can be difficult to take.  I dont think a lot of these people that sign up for this think beyond the basic level of their issues and preferences. They just want to be married. But, if it's going to work, you need to take a good long look at yourself first. Work on yourself. Not just jump in and hope things will fix themselves. I have my issues with enjoying my own spaces but I wouldn't jump into a relationship unless I was ready to let someone into that space fully.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I don't care if Tristan is generally just attracted to light skinned women and I don't have any curiosity about how he came to that conclusion. It means nothing about how he raised either. But, I would have a problem with him saying he only dates light skin women because dark skin women are ugly with bad attitudes. Like what you like but don't tear down other people in the process. He hasn't so i don't care.

Right.  I don't recall Tristan bad-mouthing anybody, so I have no problem with him.

Well, I have a little problem that he doesn't bad-mouth Mia, since she's so worthy of it, but I guess that's his business, too.

I have some preferences that aren't super important and some that are. I try to be more flexible as I older.

Ha!  Good luck with that!  [Speaking from personal experience.]

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I agree, but then I see the heat that Tristan is taking for expressing his preferences.

Honestly I don't think Dave would've even been chosen had he stated ALL his preferences. He's going to have to lighten up a bit & pick his pickiness, so to speak.

We also don't know if Dave & Bobby selected 'just white girls', & if they did who cares. Again it's just a physical preference, not a hate crime.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Right.  I don't recall Tristan bad-mouthing anybody, so I have no problem with him.

Well, I have a little problem that he doesn't bad-mouth Mia, since she's so worthy of it, but I guess that's his business, too.

Ha!  Good luck with that!  [Speaking from personal experience.]

Oh I know it's not easy. It's more about certain things not being as important as it once was. Less childish/superficial hang ups.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Honestly I don't think Dave would've even been chosen had he stated ALL his preferences. He's going to have to lighten up a bit & pick his pickiness, so to speak.

We also don't know if Dave & Bobby selected 'just white girls', & if they did who cares. Again it's all a physical preference, not a hate crime.

...Well, I'm pretty sure a previous MAFS participant told them he only dated redheads, yet they matched him with an obnoxious blonde... and he actually seemed very happy with her appearance. Sometimes people don't seem to know how they'll feel about it, if they step out of their comfort zone (so to speak).

That said, it's obvious to non-'experts' that it's dumb to ignore a statement like "I don't want animals in my house. I especially hate cats. They mess up my neat and clean house!"

And it's really dumb not to say so, if you're interested in marrying a stranger, and that's how you feel!

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 3

I hope now that Henry has a yard he’ll get more exercise.  Danielle needs to exercise more self control and financial discipline especially and use the time she spends on her appearance to take care of her animals especially has a foster care provider.  

I think Tristan simply wants to be married and is willing to absolve Mia of any responsibility for her actions.  Mia is a user and has warmed up to Tristan now that her past has come back to haunt her.  I find her the least physically attractive woman in this franchise. 

I wish we had an option of watching footage of Henry, Nellie, Roman goofing around the yard and house rather than watching the Tristan and Mia segments...I definitely would watch the pooches running around the yard, snoozing, hanging out.

However, will watch to see if  Mother Thompson does her job to get the lying liar come completely clean to her while looking her in the eye...if Tristan starts making jokes and excuses for Mia then pressing the FF.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

If Dave didn't want pets, he should've stated - NO pets.

If Dave wanted someone with his own religious beliefs - he should've stated that.

If Dave didn't want someone who had known one of his buddies - he should've found someone himself.

The applicants answer hundreds of questions about themselves and their values, with a few being specific deal breakers. The experts never promised that any couple would have a 100% match on every trait or desire. Dave not liking cats isn't the experts' fault. Same with his religious beliefs. We only see any incompatibilities in retrospect once they come up on the show. No matter how many thousands of singles supposedly apply for the show, the experts only interview fewer than 100, so their actual applicant pool is relatively small.

Did any of the couples bring up work commutes when they were discussing housing choices? It's been a pretty big factor in previous seasons.

Danielle does not forgo anything for herself, including pet food over people food. She simply charges what she wants. Probably feeds the dog(s) first so they're less likely to beg when she's eating.

My junior high boyfriend and I dated for 10 years before getting married but he had no idea how high my credit card debt was. He made less than me at the time but was a good money manager with healthy savings while I lived paycheck to paycheck. His lips got pretty tight when the first bills came, but he paid it all off. So while I can identify with Danielle's habit of overspending in her twenties, instead of it making me like her more, it just makes me roll my eyes at my younger self via her.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I can't agree with you that it all comes down to color because the power of religion and belief in "destiny" is incredibly strong.  I think she is able to manipulate him because she knows he wants to believe that she was sent to him by God and she is God's will for him.  If she feeds into that belief she knows he won't turn his back on something he believes God has ordained for him.  He has to continue to believe that she is "the one" and no matter what she looks like he'd find a way to believe that this is the person God wants him to find attractive.  Just as no matter whether she's been arrested or stalked someone, he has to love her because this is what he thinks God is asking of him.  I firmly believe that Tristan is one person that would put his "worldly desires" secondary to what he believes is God's will for him.  We are talking about someone with a fundamentalist belief (and I have had good friends who have been such), and they are known to make great sacrifice and put aside whatever "worldly" preferences they have once they have bought into someone being God's will for them.  That's why I can't see what Tristan is doing as based solely on her skin color.  He most definitely doesn't strike me as being shallow enough to overlook her being arrested and possibly lying to him and the world just based on her skin tone, or believe that she is "the one" purely because she's light skinned.  Feel free to disagree, though!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

The applicants answer hundreds of questions about themselves and their values, with a few being specific deal breakers. The experts never promised that any couple would have a 100% match on every trait or desire. Dave not liking cats isn't the experts' fault. Same with his religious beliefs. We only see any incompatibilities in retrospect once they come up on the show. No matter how many thousands of singles supposedly apply for the show, the experts only interview fewer than 100, so their actual applicant pool is relatively small.

The 'experts' have a history of matching people without consideration of their preferences, hence good drama, not good marriages.

Dave said himself he might have underscored how much the religious thing might be an issue for him, but I really don't think it is, nor the cat although she annoys him. If anything will break them it will be the buddy connection, or, just the fact that he may be generally inflexible.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Neurochick said:

So the show is giving the couples $5k a month, I don't think they've ever said that on any season.

What's with all these people who don't cook? 

Has cooking become a lost art?  

Why?

Well, it looks like it is the men who cook more often than the women.  I learned to cook as a young teen by watching my mama but I'm pretty old and have been married 35 years.  In the case of my husband the way to his heart really was through his stomach. He loves to eat and I am happy to feed him and anyone else who may wander into our home.  My adult single son is vegetarian and hates to cook and doesn't really know how.  He tells me it's not really that much more expensive bringing in take out each night but I have my doubts.

So, if that 5K a month is in addition to the money they get for appearing on the show, then Danielle should have her $15K credit card debt paid off pretty quickly. If she applies her half of the 5k each month to the debt balance, she should have it paid off in about 6 months. The way I look at it is that $2500 monthly per person is found money. They were living without it all of this time, so why not put it to good use?  Normally I would say put it away to build a nest egg, but in her case I would think she would rather not have to pay that credit card bill each month.

If I were Bobby, though, I'd be mad at the experts for pairing me with a person who has debt, especially that he is debt free and owns a home. Both Danielle and  Amber seem to be renters and Bobby at 27 owns his own place and both he and Dave seem to be more financially prudent.  Fortunately for me, both my husband and I share a similar philosophy when it comes to money matters.

One last thing...why in the world does one need so many shoes and clothing? I'm talking to you, Amber.  And Danielle, for all the money you need to spend on waxing and grooming, do something please with those ridiculous eyebrows of yours. 

• Love 2
On 8/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, Gem 10 said:

Hmmm.. is Mia’s place really hers?  I ff a lot when she was on.  She’s been known to lie before.  

If it's not hers, then Tristan is now an accessory to a burglary.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:05 AM, Caseysgirl said:

Once again, the “ experts” failed to discuss or apparently even ask the individuals about their feelings and habits with money. 

The experts during the interview process: "Ok, we asked about religion, we asked about pets, we ran background checks...yep, I think we covered it all."

On 8/8/2018 at 2:18 PM, VAMom said:

I use that tool Bobby used probably monthly (it's like $3 at Home Depot) because my daughter and I have long curly hair.  What I pull out looked a lot like what he did.  There was definitely a woman staying there before Danielle.  She couldn't have caused that in one night.

Did I hear him blame the hair clog on the dog?

On 8/8/2018 at 4:20 PM, glitterpussy said:

Ugh, who knew Dave would turn out to be the creepiest? We know now why he's still single. Rigid, no fun, judgmental, uptight, WAY too into his friends. 

I think he must have a truly awful family.

But his mom looked like such a sweet old lady at the wedding. I think Dave's the oddball of the family.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:34 PM, Gem 10 said:

Danielle paid a lot of money for those eyebrows, and they look like shit.  Get a pencil and do them yourself, why don’t she?  

I think she does use a pencil. She just goes over it too much. I noticed that her eyebrows looked sparse (not in a bad way) in the airplane.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:17 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

She also looks like Naya Rivera to me.

I can see it.

Although, I thought Naya Rivera was BEAUTIFUL in the Glee years. Mia, not so much.

22 hours ago, Marsh said:

But didn't we already know she makes mistakes and isn't perfect? Eyebrows!

16 hours ago, EmZeeGee said:

That said, I do think it's a bit unfair for the person whose living space they choose to reside to just basically have their bills paid for two months if the relationship doesn't work out.

I thought that, too. The money is being invested in his home, which he is keeping when they divorce.

(I guess it's only two months.)

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

So while I can identify with Danielle's habit of overspending in her twenties, instead of it making me like her more, it just makes me roll my eyes at my younger self via her.

Sad thing is Danielle is already in her early 30's and doesn't seem to want to cut down on her expenses.

• Love 2