Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Uncanny Valley of the Dolls

NOTE: Elementary is airing two episodes this week! S06.E15 airs at a special time on Sunday, August 12, and this episode (S06.E16) airs in the regular timeslot on Monday, August 13.

Holmes and Watson discover that the murder of a robotics engineer may be connected to his groundbreaking secret research in the area of real-life teleportation. When Detective Bell is shut out of a required class he needs in order to complete his master's degree and join the U.S. Marshal Service, he is shocked to discover the course instructor has personal reasons for denying him access.

Directed by Jonny Lee Miller

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I loved Marcus' deep discomfort while "interviewing" Skylar.  It was cool to see the Air Force general/baby-fetishist again.  Also, yeah, no sane person would want Sherlock as an enemy.  Plus, the bit at the end was just awesome.  "Even better."  I thought Miller did an excellent job directing.

• Love 17

I couldn't understand why you would destroy the thing you scanned after you scanned it. Especially if they are living things. Sounds wasteful, I would store the data and print out multiple copies wherever they were needed. Can the government really just take something you want to patent, just because they want it, without any compensation?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I couldn't understand why you would destroy the thing you scanned after you scanned it. Especially if they are living things. Sounds wasteful, I would store the data and print out multiple copies wherever they were needed

I can only assume it would be a bioethical issue—clones' rights, copyrights, etc.—and identity security (not a physical function issue).

I enjoyed the humor and the ongoing what-Sherlock-will-do-for-his-friends development, but I don't understand in what academic universe that Marcus couldn't just raise a stink to someone up the college hierarchy that he was unfairly being kept from enrolling in a course. No way would that professor have the power to keep him out for a stupid reason like that.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I couldn't understand why you would destroy the thing you scanned after you scanned it. Especially if they are living things. Sounds wasteful, I would store the data and print out multiple copies wherever they were needed. Can the government really just take something you want to patent, just because they want it, without any compensation?

That was the sci-fi guy's take on that technology.  We're a long, long way from doing this to anything above a microbe.  Actually, I doubt we're at the microbe stage yet.  Elementary occasionally does "near-sci-fi" episodes and this was probably one of them.

59 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I enjoyed the humor and the ongoing what-Sherlock-will-do-for-his-friends development, but I don't understand in what academic universe that Marcus couldn't just raise a stink to someone up the college hierarchy that he was unfairly being kept from enrolling in a course. No way would that professor have the power to keep him out for a stupid reason like that.

Figure part of it would be the time the appeals process takes.  It's likely the class would be done before the process was completed.  The professor might have been reprimanded or fired, but that wouldn't have helped Marcus become a marshal.  A speedy resolution was the only thing that would help Marcus. 

One interesting thing is that Sherlock seems to be a lot more willing to pull strings and use his status as Morland Holmes' son to get things done.  It's a cool "consequence" of their repaired relationship.

• Love 8

Great final scene in this episode!  I would have loved to have seen Skylar call out to Capt. Gregson as he walked by.  Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

I remembered the General from a previous episode, but I couldn't remember what his "issue" was.  I liked that he was able (and willing, it seemed) to help them out once he found out the circumstances of the case.

• Love 1

The ending was absolutely hilarious but I can't really think of another time in the past five seasons where Sherlock displayed anything near this kind of sense of humor. Not that he doesn't possess some humor but not in a practical joke sort of way. I still loved it though. "If you think I won't be doing the same thing to Watson you're not the detective I thought you were." 

The episode was good overall, too. I never lost the thread of what was going on. I tend to agree, however, that the professor would not have been able to keep someone out of his class out of some vendetta and get away with it. 

One thing that cracked me up is that every time someone said "Dr. Fukata" what I heard was "Dr. Verkakte." Those with a passing familiarity in Yiddish will understand.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, johntfs said:

5 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Figure part of it would be the time the appeals process takes.  It's likely the class would be done before the process was completed.  The professor might have been reprimanded or fired, but that wouldn't have helped Marcus become a marshal.  A speedy resolution was the only thing that would help Marcus. 

Exactly. Unless Sherlock had recorded the meeting (and possibly even then), it would have taken way too long to get rid of him through an appeal. It seems like one of the weirdest beefs Sherlock has encountered, to have someone hate him for being too good at his job (unless they were one of the people he put away). But, petty envy in the workplace is a real thing.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Even if you are allowed into the class, you are still being taught by someone who now has even more reason to hate you. I don't see any scenario where you would get a fair and balanced assessment of your abilities or a true reflection of your grade.

• Love 17

One of the things i liked about this episode is that Marcus did not get upset with Sherlock about not getting into the class.  On many other shows, the characters would yell, defend, walk away mad.  I appreciated that there was none of this.  

• Love 19

Wow, Professor Douchebag.  Way to be, well, a douche.  

I always appreciate seeing Ignacio Suarez.  /Ugly Betty shout-out!

Like others, I am totally enjoying all of the Marcus and Sherlock interactions. 

Interesting case.

I always enjoy seeing episodes directed by Jonny or Lucy. It must be tough to pull double duty. I appreciate that neither seem to limit their screen time when they direct.  Actually, I wonder how it is decided which episodes they will direct.  Do they get first pick of scripts?  

• Love 6

What an incredible show. It might be one of the best from the last couple of seasons.

One of the things the last couple of shows has had is Sherlock gets a look on his face and you know exactly what he's thinking without him uttering a word.

GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 14

Sherlock is every inch Morland’s son, and I love him for it. 

The “Mr. Congeniality” exchange between Sherlock and Joan made me laugh, and Sherlock’s delight in pranking his friends with Skylar delighted me in turn.

I am loving the little friendship side moments this season: they’re so well-acted and I believe these characters.

• Love 9

Skyler creeped me out.  However, the idea of Sherlock transporting her on the subway made me smile.  The joke at the end was great.

The apartment that they found the body in looked familiar.  I think they've used it before for other corpse discovery scenes.

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The scifi convention dude wasn't too far off the mark: Likely a 3D bioprinter could create "human" soldiers in the field — although I'd really prefer 3D printed replacement discs for my spine.

Sorry to hear you have back trouble.  The microbe and molecule arguments were more accurate and feasible than printing a whole person.  The time required to 3D print a complex organism would be impractical, not to mention the lack of memories, training, etc. in the final product.  Even for 3D printing a chocolate bunny, it'd be much faster to pour the melted chocolate into a mold, especially in a 'mass production' application.

• Love 2

I have read a lot (a lot, a lot) of obscure and out of print science fiction and Farthest Star, by Jack Williamson, deals with this exact idea. Copies of people are transmitted to a ship to investigate a phenomenon, with full knowledge they were expendable copies on a one-way trip. I think the technology was commonplace in the story. Also, if you're concerned about increasingly sophisticated robots taking over the planet, from the same author let me introduce you to With Folded Hands.

Sherlock screwing with Marcus was hysterical. Also I was tickled at how Marcus jumped at the chance to prank the Captain. He's usually pretty serious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

The apartment that they found the body in looked familiar.  I think they've used it before for other corpse discovery scenes.

That's great.  I can see the ad now: 

For Rent.  Lovely apartment, excellent location, quiet neighbors.  Short term lease available.  Must carry life insurance, have up to date will on site, and current contact information of next of kin listed on rental contract.  Contact Midsomer Apartments.*

*Anyone who's watched enough Midsomer Mysteries knows that buying a home in that area is pretty much like signing your death warrant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Yes I was going to mention that myself. If it is not the same apartment then it at least has the exact same layout as several we've seen before.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

What an incredible show. It might be one of the best from the last couple of seasons.

One of the things the last couple of shows has had is Sherlock gets a look on his face and you know exactly what he's thinking without him uttering a word.

GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Ditto.

This has been one of my most favourite shows since it started but I am enjoying this season even more than previous ones.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Yes I was going to mention that myself. If it is not the same apartment then it at least has the exact same layout as several we've seen before.

I believe it was the one where they found the stored blood in the fridge? From a schoolgirl who'd donated it to the victim for a few $$$.

• Love 1
On 14/08/2018 at 8:20 PM, CaptainCranky said:

I haven't watched this episode yet, but I wanted to quote this part.  While it "sucks" in the sense that it's airing off season, it's making me appreciate the show a lot this season because I have less shows to watch and I can give it more attention than if it was airing during the season.  And what I see a great group of actors and a great bond between the two leads.  Thank the TV gods that it got another season. 

Of course, Clyde is the best animal sidekick on TV, but that's more of a DUH. 

• Love 4

They were clearly having a ball with this episode.  I kind of hope they actually find some way to have "Skyler" help with a future case or other issue.  Cool seeing Marissa Neitling (Foster from The Last Ship) as the ex that the bot was based off of.  And I guess she did the voice of Skyler too?

Always great seeing Ian Hart, even if Baynes was dick and a half.  Even if I could understand being frustrated over Sherlock stealing his thunder years ago, to take it out on Bell was petty and low.  Glad it seems like he has backed off, because he got a taste of what it would feel like if Sherlock actually was his enemy!

As soon as the former students were made to be suspects, I figured it was going to be the woman since she was going out of her way to be helpful.

Bringing back General Alvero was a nice touch.

Jonny Lee Miller did a pretty good job behind the camera.  He seems to be a good comedic and actors' director, because some of the characters' reactions (especially Marcus/Jon Michael Hill's) were priceless in this one!

• Love 5

I didn't get "your phone's ring tone is the song that played at the time of the murder, so you must be the killer."  AIUI, you can program your smartphone to play different ring tones depending on who is calling.  So one of the other students might have used the same ring tone for a different caller.  Also if one student is suddenly the prime suspect, that doesn't mean the others weren't in on it too.

By the way, DNA is not a protein.

• Love 2

I think they were sort of Occam's Razor'ing it though. Sure you can have people-specific ringtones, and sure others' could've had the same. But by then they'd pretty much narrowed it down to the most probable reason Skyler would "remember" the song is the murderer's phone rang. If your phone rings during a murder it's probably not a call you were expecting and likely to be your "anyone' ring. So if they did manage to determine one of the three prime suspects had that  as default ringtone (and yeah it's a common/popular song but it's not exactly current of zeitgeisty right now), it makes her look really good for it. Plus they said that basically was going to get them a warrant. So she looked super suspicious and they planned to get more concrete evidence, like the cell towers to locate her phone and blah blah blah. Good point that the other's could've been in on it, but in the scene we got to see they were basically leveraging it to try to get her to cut a deal. So if they were all involved, she could've flipped on them in the moment. They weren't ignoring other possibilities, just trying to get her to crack.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Always great seeing Ian Hart, even if Baynes was dick and a half.  Even if I could understand being frustrated over Sherlock stealing his thunder years ago,,,  

Lestrade seemed to have the same resentment but exponentially more intense...

• Love 1
On 8/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, rainsmom said:

That ending was hysterical. I wonder if Skyler will show up again?

Sherlock would deploy her as a surveillance device and a disruptor - like dropping her off where a suspect works and publicly accuse / embarrass him....

• Love 1

That episode was actually pretty hilarious, especially for a show that is usually pretty serious, albeit with some one liners. Marcus being totally weirded out by Skyler, especially with his facial expressions, and the ending was just great. Especially Marcus getting excited about pranking the captain! And I also enjoyed the exchange between Joan and Sherlock about how much Sherlock has mellowed. "Now your Mr. Congeniality." 

That professor was a seriously petty dick. Sherlock looked somewhat amazed as he realized how stupid this grudge is, and how pissy this guy is about something that Sherlock not only hardly thought about, but has no regrets about. Nice seeing him help Marcus again, and their continued bond this season is really well done. 

Nice seeing General Alvero again, nice call back, which I always appreciate. The case was pretty good, and the creepy sex dolls leading to transportation tech was a decent turn in the case. Clearly the cell phone and Skyler recognizing it wasn't going to be proof, but it was strong enough that they could get the woman to confess before they had to find real evidence. 

Heh. "Horny Alexa." 

• Love 4
On 2018-08-14 at 10:24 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

This was a really funny episode.  Joan's quip about "a horny Alexa" might be the funniest line ever on the show.

That was good, but for me the line of the night was Sherlock to the sex doll company guy: "You're doing God's work."

JLM's delivery and his expression were gold.

This season has been on fire!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 8/14/2018 at 9:10 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

I have read a lot (a lot, a lot) of obscure and out of print science fiction and Farthest Star, by Jack Williamson, deals with this exact idea. Copies of people are transmitted to a ship to investigate a phenomenon, with full knowledge they were expendable copies on a one-way trip. I think the technology was commonplace in the story. Also, if you're concerned about increasingly sophisticated robots taking over the planet, from the same author let me introduce you to With Folded Hands.

More recently, Dark Matter used the same idea (with consciousness cloning included). The clones were expendable and vaporized to dust if "killed" by people who didn't know they were clones. And if I recall, in Star Trek Next Generation, there's a transport clone of Riker that was allowed to live (though I could be wrong about how the duplicate was created.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

More recently, Dark Matter used the same idea (with consciousness cloning included). The clones were expendable and vaporized to dust if "killed" by people who didn't know they were clones. And if I recall, in Star Trek Next Generation, there's a transport clone of Riker that was allowed to live (though I could be wrong about how the duplicate was created.)

They were trying to beam up Riker during some crazy storm and unbeknownst to anyone, the transporter beam reflected and created a duplicate Riker that remained on the planet. They went back years later to retrieve the computer and found DuplicateRiker.

He decided to use their middle name (Thomas) and went on with his life. We did see him again on DS9 working with the Maquis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Chances_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Edited by AEMom
Added link
  • Love 4
On August 19, 2018 at 8:08 PM, AEMom said:

They were trying to beam up Riker during some crazy storm and unbeknownst to anyone

I wouldn't post this if there weren't TNG fans here, but the transporter still Evan showed was from Encounter at Farpoint, the TNG pilot. I'd say I'm a big nerd (which I am) but it's the Troi cheerleader uniform that clinches it.

The discussion of how a transporter might work was very interesting to me as a Trek fan. I also thought of the book/movie The Prestige, where a clone of sorts was created in a similar way (different in the book vs movie, though, IIRC).

But there was also the TNG ep Realm of Fear, which I haven't seen in a loooong time, but which seemed to suggest that when you were in the transporter, you were actually in a different dimension? It's been too long so I don't remember why Barclay remembered the actual experience.

On a completely different note, Skyler reminded me of Fiona from the past season of Silicon Valley. Is this the thing now? When will we get a hot guy interactive robot?

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/15/2018 at 10:31 PM, theatremouse said:

I think they were sort of Occam's Razor'ing it though. Sure you can have people-specific ringtones, and sure others' could've had the same. But by then they'd pretty much narrowed it down to the most probable reason Skyler would "remember" the song is the murderer's phone rang. If your phone rings during a murder it's probably not a call you were expecting and likely to be your "anyone' ring. So if they did manage to determine one of the three prime suspects had that  as default ringtone (and yeah it's a common/popular song but it's not exactly current of zeitgeisty right now), it makes her look really good for it. Plus they said that basically was going to get them a warrant. So she looked super suspicious and they planned to get more concrete evidence, like the cell towers to locate her phone and blah blah blah. Good point that the other's could've been in on it, but in the scene we got to see they were basically leveraging it to try to get her to cut a deal. So if they were all involved, she could've flipped on them in the moment. They weren't ignoring other possibilities, just trying to get her to crack.

The corniness of her ringtone choice should be reason enough to toss her in the slammer so she can think about what she's done.  My 'anyone' ringtone is a little ditty by Cee-Lo Green.  It's highly satisfying to ignore the call in private, but I have to remember to grab my phone quick before it gets to the spicy part if I'm in public.  Why do telemarketers always call me when I'm at the supermarket?  There's a good one for Sherlock to ponder in his downtime.

As for why the original has to be destroyed once the copy is made, I think they explained it quite thoroughly in The Prestige,, but my brain was already sprained by Jackman and Bowie sharing the screen, so it's all a blur...

• Love 4
On 8/15/2018 at 9:59 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Cool seeing Marissa Neitling (Foster from The Last Ship) as the ex that the bot was based off of.  And I guess she did the voice of Skyler too?

(late post; behind on my DVR)

Am I the only one that thought the actress actually played both parts? I can't imagine the show commissioning a silicone head, complete with mouth movements. Much easier and cheaper just to smooth out her features with makeup.  Her voice I thought was one of the many available text-to-speech programs, not the actual actress. 

Also, when they removed her wig, the electronics looked like something on top of her head, not part of her head. 

Edited by kay1864
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

(late post; behind on my DVR)

Am I the only one that thought the actress actually played both parts? I can't imagine the show commissioning a silicone head, complete with mouth movements. Much easier and cheaper just to smooth out her features with makeup.  Her voice I thought was one of the many available text-to-speech programs, not the actual actress. 

Also, when they removed her wig, the electronics looked like something on top of her head, not part of her head. 

I didn't think about it, but that does make sense.

• Love 1

I thought something similar.  I thought they might have done something digital to simplify her features.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:32 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I wouldn't post this if there weren't TNG fans here, but the transporter still Evan showed was from Encounter at Farpoint, the TNG pilot. I'd say I'm a big nerd (which I am) but it's the Troi cheerleader uniform that clinches it.

But there was also the TNG ep Realm of Fear, which I haven't seen in a loooong time, but which seemed to suggest that when you were in the transporter, you were actually in a different dimension? It's been too long so I don't remember why Barclay remembered the actual experience.

Ah yes, the cheerleader uniform.  Thank goodness they ditched that after the pilot.  It's been a bit since I saw the Realm of Fear episode, but I believe that involved the experience in the 'matter stream' moving from one transporter pad to to another, not an alternate dimension.  There was also a stellar phenomenon that put out energy that could keep transporter patterns active without the computer.  Some patterns became trapped in it.

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't Scotty end up digitized for 80 years or something? They were able to rematerialize him using the Enterprise D's transporter.

Yes, he did. Of course, that was pretty much fan service and a means of transitioning to TNG.

• Love 1

I have to say the best joke is actually the title -- a play on both "Uncanny Valley" [anything that looks ALMOST like a person but not quite -- including sexdolls -- is jarring] and The Valley of the Dolls (an OLD sexploitation movie)!