Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: How to Get a Head

NOTE: this episode will air on Sunday, August 12. There will also be another episode this week during its regular Monday night timeslot.

Holmes and Watson's investigation into the murder of a religion professor puts them on the hunt for a killer connected to the occult. Holmes and Watson curate a list of potential replacements for Detective Bell when it looks likely the officer will be asked to join the U.S. Marshal Service.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

FYI: In the Eastern time zone (of the US), CBS is showing a golf tournament tomorrow. Check in to see if the coverage goes past 7 PM (when 60 Minutes begins) and set the DVR accordingly. 

CBS is also airing the golf tournament in the Central time zone. 

On August 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Loandbehold said:

FYI: In the Eastern time zone (of the US), CBS is showing a golf tournament tomorrow. Check in to see if the coverage goes past 7 PM (when 60 Minutes begins) and set the DVR accordingly. 

In the past when CBS was broadcasting live sports before prime time, I could turn on 60 Minutes or any show that was scheduled to air before the one that I planned to watch, and eventually a chyron would crawl across the bottom of the screen with, for example, "The Good Wife will begin at 10:29 p.m. CST" (or whatever time and show was going to actually air next). Since I know almost nothing about the length of a golf game, this will probably be my strategy.

ETA: 60 Minutes either started at 20 minutes after the usual hour or on the half hour (it wasn't clear to me).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Did Joan already have the new-baby gifts on hand, or did she purchase them during the events of this episode?
Maybe Joan and Sherlock will be godparents instead of Joan being a parent?
Is/was the baby daddy the dead professor of religion?

Will the character played by Anne L. Nathan ("creative" Lena Romero's former boss, now in private security) replace Marcus (if Marcus leaves)?

Most droll lines:

Joan: And you've turned all the pictures upside down.
Sherlock: I thought we needed a new perspective.
Joan: Because bats have solved so many homicides.
[more discussion; Joan needs sleep, turns out the light, leaving Sherlock in the dark]
Sherlock: This is how a bat would look at the problem.

Speaking of droll:

Good one to disguise the H!ITG! perp, the bald Michael Cerveris (September on Fringe among other roles) with a wig, and then kind of cute to mention that in the too-dark-to-see prop pictures that he was not wearing his wig to "cover his bald spot." 

—although I first assumed the perp was H!ITG! red herring Luis Antonio Ramos—who I'd recently seen on reruns of Early Edition—he hasn't aged a bit, but was the cane just a prop?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Seriously WTF CBS. Good thing I DVR the show and from last year have added an extra hour to record so I got to see the whole show. And now we have another episode tonight.

Not really a show I cared for and worst of the current season at least for me.

Loved Joan and Sherlock looking for Marcus replacement. The opening scene with the detective that had spent the night with Joan was priceless. The Captain sometimes is a real stickler as is Marcus so I guess it does add reality to the way Joan and Sherlock work around the edges.

The City Councilman was creepy. And way to much foreign dialect which I really didn't care for as it's hard for me to follow.

6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

This was another one where the victim came off as a really cool person that will be missed.  He seems like someone who would have had fun, interesting discussions/arguments with Holmes or been a fun "Irregular."  I also felt kind of bad for the kid who stole the skull to try to scare off a bunch of asshole bullies.

• Love 7

Not the most exciting episode of the season, but still enjoyable.

I especially liked the scene towards the end with Sherlock and Gregson.  Also, when Sherlock admitted that he annoys most of the other detectives, so that's why he and Joan were looking elsewhere to find a replacement for Marcus.

Favorite scene: the last one with Sherlock and Marcus.  Awwwwwwwww!!!

Shamrock Poppers do not sound appealing, so I'm with Sherlock on that one.

• Love 6

I knew the councilman was behind it and spotted the wig, yet totally missed that it was the actor who played September.  It really did change what he looked like.

I like the interplay in this one with Sherlock and Marcus.  The bits between Sherlock and the captain were good too.  Gregson wanting someone correct and by-the-book babysitting Sherlock makes sense.

When Det. Grimes was coming downstairs I thought for a second it was Marcus.

Of course Sherlock has pig carcasses rotting in shallow ponds. 

I figured it was the Councilman because he was leaning so hard on the idea it was a revenge killing from one of the religions he investigated.

Somebody remind me, who was the guy Joan slept with?  Sherlock got in a pretty good zinger there when he commented on it only happening every 2-3 years.

• Love 4
On 8/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, Cotypubby said:

I knew Michael Cerveris was the bad guy as soon as I saw him in the fakest wig ever and figured the wig would be a part of it. Seriously Sherlock was fooled by that thing!?

I was glad that at least they weren't pretending that he wasn't wearing a wig!

• Love 1
On 2018-08-13 at 2:53 AM, shapeshifter said:

Did Joan already have the new-baby gifts on hand, or did she purchase them during the events of this episode?

Joan said something to the effect that she had gone shopping. 

I loved the black top with the white detailing that Joan was wearing.

I am curious about something.  At the beginning of the show, Sherlock would call Marcus "Detective Bell," and eventually it became "Marcus." But he still calls Joan "Watson." I wonder what explanation they would give for that if it ever came up.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Somebody remind me, who was the guy Joan slept with?  Sherlock got in a pretty good zinger there when he commented on it only happening every 2-3 years.

He was one of the cops Joan and Sherlock were looking at to replace Bell.  I don't know if we ever saw him before.  Since Joan slept with him, he had to be cut from the list.  That was a pretty funny remark. Also, when Sherlock says they'll move on to the female cop, he adds "If you can keep yourself from sleeping with her, too". That made me laugh.

I did like that Gregson turned down the female cop for being "creative".

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AEMom said:

At the beginning of the show, Sherlock would call Marcus "Detective Bell," and eventually it became "Marcus." But he still calls Joan "Watson." I wonder what explanation they would give for that if it ever came up.

My guess is they are just sticking to canon; i.e. Watson was always called Watson in the books.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, johntfs said:

It occurs to me that Joan is now on pretty friendly terms with a woman who is pregnant.  I wonder if that will lead somewhere adoption-wise.

That crossed my mind too but I don't think anything will come of it.  Unless something happens to the woman and asks Joan to take the baby. That could happen but I bet we'll never hear of her again.

Sorry, Sherlock, but that wig/toupee was actually pretty damn obvious.  Granted, it does help that I've seen Michael Cerveris in enough stuff to know that he's bald in real life.  Fun appearance, even though it was equally obvious that he was going to be the killer.

I guess they're going to be playing around with the "America's Next Marcus Bell!" act, until (fingers crossed), he ends up not getting the Marshal job after-all.  I do like how Gregson described their relationship, and how they've both benefited from it.  And, of course, there now at the phase where Bell isn't even fazed or surprised that Sherlock has access to pig carcasses!

Yeah, Joan bonding with the pregnant lady makes me wonder if she's found her potential child, assuming the lady wants to give the baby up for adoption (or, knowing this show, something even worse happens.)

• Love 1
On 8/13/2018 at 2:53 AM, shapeshifter said:

Joan: Because bats have solved so many homicides.
[more discussion; Joan needs sleep, turns out the light, leaving Sherlock in the dark]
Sherlock: This is how a bat would look at the problem.

I loved that so much. Is this season funnier than previous? I'm enjoying it so much, and I had really thought the show might be running out of steam last season. But they came back better than ever. It's not just the funny, it's everything.

• Love 8

Joan: Because bats have solved so many homicides

Me: Yes, they have. Ever heard of Batman?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Was that the glass ball from the title card on Gregson’s desk? It is the first time I have seen that. 

I forgot to look for glass balls. Just like I always forgot to look for the pineapples on Psych. Oh well.

• Love 1
On August 13, 2018 at 7:48 PM, CaptainCranky said:

Not really a show I cared for and worst of the current season at least for me.

I agree. Not a fan of plots that involve extensive exposition of events that have happened far away from New York. A few of the Morland shows, in particular, have been like that. Too much exposition, not enough action. 

I did wonder if the subplot with the pregnant lady was the main reason for this episode to exist. I interpreted Joan's gifts as she had them on hand and was maybe giving up on the idea (or at least, just recognized that this woman needed them more). But I wouldn't be surprised if this woman decided to give up her baby to Joan by the finale.

And that poor chicken!