Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

The thing about all of their learning is that it's computer, lecture or kinetic learning. There is nothing wrong with any of those three types, but it's terribly limited, just as it would be if someone's learning were only reading (and some people within that group didn't read very well.). There is also no attempt to get them to reflect or emotionally process anything they learn.

• Love 2

The thing about all of their learning is that it's computer, lecture or kinetic learning. There is nothing wrong with any of those three types, but it's terribly limited, just as it would be if someone's learning were only reading (and some people within that group didn't read very well.). There is also no attempt to get them to reflect or emotionally process anything they learn.

Agree that kind of learning has it's place and along with it is a need for practical experience.  I wouldn't want my doctor working on me after having only read about it and then trying to take my tonsils out!  LOL

• Love 1

You mean checking boxes and starting over until u get a high score.

According to JB, the kids are becoming political experts because of the campaigning they do for candidates. They do not need real education to spread their message around and to try to get others to join God's Army.

Again I ddon't understand, how will the Duggars take over anything with no education or skills. Heck every conservative candidate got real schooling and real life skills.

• Love 4

I too would like to know about the School of the Stink Bus. Of course, Boob's & MEchelle's reply would be that they are learning by being at the rallies. I'm sure there's no beforehand planning for their lessons (if they do actually do schoolwork) like researching about the states they are going to, how many miles they are traveling for math lessons, etc.

Exactly, there are so many opportunities to learn while traveling. I fail to see any sort of importance on education in their family. It's depressing. They treat the kids like possessions, and at their political events, props. The girls really lose out and that's where I am disgusted. How does any person look at their daughter and see nothing other than something to put a bow on while they wait for the child to become of breeding age? Kids are amazing, full of ideas and opinions. Mullet and Boob seem never to have noticed that. I'm guessing, because, they are only interested in themselves.

• Love 4

Oh, but they take them on "educational" field trips all the time!  Like to watch insulation be cleared out of one of JimBob's houses!  Or to chase pigs around a farmer's property!

It's always striking to me how the kids never remember a damn thing in the time between taking those trips and filming the talking heads a couple of months later.  How much are they possibly learning?  Half the time Jackson has to ask the sistermom standing off-camera if he did something.

The clip on hair pieces that Mullet puts in her hair drive me nuts during the THs. It just looks like so much kudzu trying to overtake her face. I enjoy the side view, though, when it you can see how fake it looks.

• Love 4

I just have to chime in here as a homeschooler.... It infuriates me that the Duggars are famous - for a billion reasons  - but one big reason is that because they are on TV and homeschool, people think this is what homeschoolers do. I am here to tell you they are horrible representations of what homeschooling looks like. My kids work HARD. They study a lot. They read a ton. I have one already in college on a scholarship. My 10th grader is starting Calculus this year, taking AP Chemistry and already taking classes at a university (not a community college). My elementary student (11 years old) has read everything on the list above except Pride and Prejudice but we will get that one later. I represent typical homeschoolers. The Duggars are examples of using homeschooling as a means to shelter and control rather than to educate and they give all homeschoolers a bad name. It angers me to no end. 

• Love 6

I just have to chime in here as a homeschooler.... It infuriates me that the Duggars are famous - for a billion reasons - but one big reason is that because they are on TV and homeschool, people think this is what homeschoolers do. I am here to tell you they are horrible representations of what homeschooling looks like. My kids work HARD. They study a lot. They read a ton. I have one already in college on a scholarship. My 10th grader is starting Calculus this year, taking AP Chemistry and already taking classes at a university (not a community college). My elementary student (11 years old) has read everything on the list above except Pride and Prejudice but we will get that one later. I represent typical homeschoolers. The Duggars are examples of using homeschooling as a means to shelter and control rather than to educate and they give all homeschoolers a bad name. It angers me to no end.

Your kids are smart. Calculus is 10th grade? Along with AP Chemistry. My brain isn't wired for that lol. You homeschool for the right reasons the Duggars homeschool or no school to make their children stupid and sheltered.

• Love 2

I was just watching the episode where the girls ar having tea, Jana is sewing the brides maid dresses, and Jill's gown arrives. Jill is wearing a long skirt but it is made out of some really clingy material and hugs all her curves, especially her rear end.   My husband remarked on it.  So much for modesty.

• Love 1

Your kids are smart. Calculus is 10th grade? Along with AP Chemistry. My brain isn't wired for that lol. You homeschool for the right reasons the Duggars homeschool or no school to make their children stupid and sheltered.

Thanks - my middle child is a very advanced student so homeschooling is very good for her because of that. My youngest has learning issues and homeschooling is great to help her with that. But you have to do it for education. Another thing that bugs me about the Duggars is the clear belief that their girls don't need an education. As a mom to three girls that makes me crazy.

• Love 3

I never actually thought much of homeschooling.  I thought the kids were too sheltered and not really learning anything.  Now I work with a woman who homeschooled her kids.  They were in a co-op and met many other people, did real theater productions, music lessons, languages, even had proms for their co-op.  Her kids are both so smart and well-rounded.  Her son got a full scholarship to a Technical School and is now doing police training.  I have to say, I am very impressed with homeschooling when done correctly!

The Duggars, however, are raising a bunch of unkempt and uneducated kids.  Very sheltered, no real friends, and nothing to look forward to except marriage and having babies.  Don't tell me how much they learn when they travel.  They don't learn anything about that country's culture, and can't speak of their trip intelligently.  The Great Wall of China was described as "big" and "neat".  I think the real reason the Duggars homeschool is because they are too darned lazy to get these kids up and out the door in the morning.  Shame on them.

Getting back to my earlier post about playing, you never see these kids playing outside.  Who plays ball in the house when you have all that land?  And all those little girls would have so much fun with a play kitchen and play food.  My little 2-year-old granddaughter loves to "cook" for me and is so imaginative that she tells me to blow on my food because it is too hot.  She loves to feed her babies with her play food.  (Surely that activity would be Duggar-approved!)   And she loves toddler time at the library.

My heart breaks for these little ones.

Edited by SmallTownMom
  • Love 2

The Duggars would not be able to address any learning issues that the kids may have, because they'd pretend they didn't exist. 

I don't know for sure if this is the case for them but there is an unfortunately subset of super conservative Christians that don't just pretend issues don't exist in their children, they don't believe they exist at all. ADD/ADHD, autism, Aspergers, bipolar or other mental health issues, etc. are just completely discounted as real problems. I've never understood it but I've seen it a few times and it's terrifying and so sad for the child who needs help.  

• Love 1

Getting back to my earlier post about playing, you never see these kids playing outside.  Who plays ball in the house when you have all that land?  And all those little girls would have so much fun with a play kitchen and play food.  My little 2-year-old granddaughter loves to "cook" for me and is so imaginative that she tells me to blow on my food because it is too hot.  She loves to feed her babies with her play food.  (Surely that activity would be Duggar-approved!)   And she loves toddler time at the library.

My heart breaks for these little ones.

I can't imagine not being outside nearly all the time if I had that much space. And it's pretty safe space so you could let them run without much worry. I don't get the no toys thing either. I haven't watched the show in a long time. I remember wondering if they have some closet somewhere they throw everything in when the cameras show up but it doesn't seem like it. Do they own a swing set or trampoline or other outdoor stuff like that? I don't remember seeing anything like that. 

• Love 1

They do not need real education to spread their message around and to try to get others to join God's Army.

Because when God's Army will takes over, God will handle everything.   No one will need to know how to run a sanitation plant or build a highway.   And definnitely no one will need to know how to run a school.

They have bikes and an entire basketball court outside. They have four wheel drive vehicles and swings. They even have guns for target practice which would be quite normal in their part of the country. But we see them mostly running into each other in the one big room of the house. Or sitting behind a computer clucking off lists. It's just so odd.

• Love 2

The clip on hair pieces that Mullet puts in her hair drive me nuts during the THs. It just looks like so much kudzu trying to overtake her face. I enjoy the side view, though, when it you can see how fake it looks.

She really clips on hair pieces??? That's tragic. Is there an episode where she discloses this or does on of the boys rat her out?

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 1

I was just watching the episode where the girls ar having tea, Jana is sewing the brides maid dresses, and Jill's gown arrives. Jill is wearing a long skirt but it is made out of some really clingy material and hugs all her curves, especially her rear end.   My husband remarked on it.  So much for modesty.

I noticed that too. I feel like their whole modesty song and dance just draws more attention to their bodies. Instead of thinking, "oh that totally normal girl is wearing a cute skirt," I thought to myself "Oh my gosh NIKE you can see Jill's butt!"

• Love 4

I also often find myself scoping out the Duggar girls' legs to see if their thighs are 100% covered.  Not because I think they're hot and want to see them in tight/revealing clothes, but because they make such a damn big deal about it it's always on my mind when I look at them!  Go figure.

• Love 3

I noticed that too. I feel like their whole modesty song and dance just draws more attention to their bodies. Instead of thinking, "oh that totally normal girl is wearing a cute skirt," I thought to myself "Oh my gosh NIKE you can see Jill's butt!"

I also often find myself scoping out the Duggar girls' legs to see if their thighs are 100% covered.  Not because I think they're hot and want to see them in tight/revealing clothes, but because they make such a damn big deal about it it's always on my mind when I look at them!  Go figure.

This reminds me of a few years ago when some people at my church were freaking out about all the evil subliminal messages in Disney animated features.  I was like, "Look at you! You're scrutinizing still frames of The Little Mermaid trying to find an erection on a priest. Who exactly is the pervert?"

Edited by Portia
  • Love 7

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I would love to know how these girls get their hair to hold a curl. My hair is bra strap length at the longest point, and if I blow out my natural waves, my hair is completely unable to hold a curl in ANY setting for longer than 45 minutes. I assumed it was just too long, but these girls have much longer hair.

On the episode "All About Jill", I thought is was comical how Jill was describing the girls' perming phase. She said the perms weren't just for added body, but they were full perms. Then she made a disgusted look like, "Yuck!". I wonder if Michelle got the hint. The time the girls surprised her with a makeover at the salon where her friend worked, it was quite obvious she didn't like the outcome. I think she made a comment about how she looked like she just came out of the shower. How insulting to the salon workers and her friend. But mush-minded Michelle couldn't see that it looked tons better than the rat's nest she had. She immediately went back to the tight-permed look, and she couldn't wait for her hair grow back because they cut off sooo much. This woman is so set in her gothardite ways. When she's in her eighties and her hair is gray, will she be sporting the same hairstyle? Or will she have any hair left from the decades of chemicals being squirted on her scalp?

• Love 2

againstthewind, Hairspray/mousse Curling iron. then don't touch it. Lucille66I assume there's a wig somewhere that looks just the way Michelle wants it to and she will just transition to the wig someday ( if she hasn't already)

I read two well written articles about Modest fashion lately. One about a woman who is an Orthodox Jew and tries to be very high fashion . http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/fashion/fabologies-adi-heyman-promotes-modest-fashion.html?_r=0

And another about a theology student who decided to try to be "modest" for a year ( and of course she's now writing a book)

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/02/my_year_of_modesty/

Both of these women are adhering to modestly standards that exceed the Duggers. It's interesting to get their points of view.  Just sharing!

• Love 2

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I would love to know how these girls get their hair to hold a curl. My hair is bra strap length at the longest point, and if I blow out my natural waves, my hair is completely unable to hold a curl in ANY setting for longer than 45 minutes. I assumed it was just too long, but these girls have much longer hair.

Unwashed hair. If you curl the day after washing and blowing out, your hair should hold a curl better. Jessa and Jill actually did a little video on how to do hair. Erin Bates did too. They use a lot of product. I am suddenly very sad that I know this.

That said, I wonder how often the girls do wash their hair. It always looks a little stringy. Jill, on her wedding day, made me wonder if she'd even showered let alone shampooed.

That said, I wonder how often the girls do wash their hair. It always looks a little stringy. Jill, on her wedding day, made me wonder if she'd even showered let alone shampooed.

I wonder how many bathrooms there are in the TTH. There is no way that the entire family got showers the day of the ceremony. Maybe the little kids could have bathed the evening before, but it would still be a challenge to get all the adults showered and out the door unless they had a ton of bathrooms or communal showers. The whole family looks like stink lines should be emanating from their bodies all the time. I would not be surprised that they get showers once a week. Twice if they are courting!

Jill got to the church with her hair dry but not styled, which tells that she showered the night before or (ugh) a day earlier. But then, why not just be the last person to shower, leave for the church right away, and finish styling her hair at the church? She would have had less frizz and her skin would have looked fresher in general. I think Derrick married a stinky Jill. 

• Love 2
I thought Jim Bob said "the girls" spent the night before the wedding at a hotel?

What's the point of that?  It's not like they were having any part of the wedding at the hotel.  Jill and Derick didn't live together.  Unless it was to keep the big girls from having to take care of the "littles" then I can understand that.  I suppose it could have been a nice break from usual.

I'm thinking the girls spent the night at the hotel for some alone time with each other for the last time.  I can understand that. 

Regarding modesty wear.  Would board shorts below the knees and t shirt be defrauding as swimwear? 

Edited by abseedee

Soooooo, what do you think of Jill's skirt?

Picture from FJ

c4052846a3bc85d8e0e1.jpg

Nike! that's a lot of leg  ;) She looks almost modern. MEchelle's getting the Sharpie out and colouring squares on her screen now, praying to save her Jezebel daughter from further sin.

• Love 4

Nike! that's a lot of leg  ;) She looks almost modern. MEchelle's getting the Sharpie out and colouring squares on her screen now, praying to save her Jezebel daughter from further sin.

Lol, that is a lot of leg although I think she is wearing leggings, but still, I've never seen any of the girls with skirts that much above the knees while sitting.  It's nice to see that she spent some time with actual friends while in New York. 

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 2

I'm thinking the girls spent the night at the hotel for some alone time with each other for the last time. I can understand that.

Regarding modesty wear. Would board shorts below the knees and t shirt be defrauding as swimwear?

Jill is moving right down the street

Maybe the girls needed the hotel room because that damn Jana had all of her turquoise fabric and sewing machine crap all over the bedroom.  That Cinderjana can be so inconsiderate!

I wonder if Jill got her own room.  I would think it would be a nice thing to do to have a nice bubble bath, and in her case, hot tea, without having to share that space with a million other people. 

• Love 1

Someone mentioned the Duggar girls seem chesty by how they looked in the bridesmaids dresses. I think part of it was because of the belts. The girls usually aren't shown wearing belts and their shirts are never tucked in. Is this because it would draw attention to their waists? GEML- is this part of the Gothard dress code? (I'm just throwing the question out to you since you are our go to person for all things Gothard. I really appreciate all your insight :)

I actually don't know. The Bates girls wear shirts that show waists, so that's a counterpoint. I can think of several other Fundy groups that do as well. But during their strictest Gothard phase was also the time they dressed in those hideous smock dresses with the big collars, so it might be a Gothard thing.

Wives are actually supposed to dress to please their husbands! Loophole!

Well then!  Looks like Derick likes shorter skirts on Jill.

I'm still trying to figure out if Jill is wear tights, leggings or pants under that skirt.

Aaaaand his hair is almost the same as when Jill first met him.

Edited by abseedee

lol you're not alone. I can't get mine to hold a curl either and I've always wondered about these girls' hair! It's like magic. Maybe they should come up with a hair-care line... they could probably make a fortune.

• Love 1

I'm going to give Michelle a compliment on her MOB dress. Wait for it. Here it comes. It was better than the Kleinfeld bright white, puffy sleeve "custom" vow renewal dress. Plus she was wearing nice ballet flats with a bit of a bow or flower on the toe which would have been an appropriate choice for the bride too. 

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 1

lol you're not alone. I can't get mine to hold a curl either and I've always wondered about these girls' hair! It's like magic. Maybe they should come up with a hair-care line... they could probably make a fortune.

In their online video on YouTube I believe it is Jessa who is showing how they do their hair.  They spray it with a humungous amount of hair spray likely super hold and while the hair is wet/damp wrap it wringlet style around a curling iron and uncoil it as it cools and fluff out with their fingers and then spray it a few thousand times more.  The curl should hold then but you can't brush after that or the curls would uncoil.  

I have short hair and no idea why I watched but I did!

• Love 2

I was in a wedding once where the bride's mother was a hairdresser. She came in and saw us, everyone freshly shampooed and nearly died. "You weren't supposed to wash your hair this morning!" she yelled and didn't stop until several cans of hairspray had been emptied later. :)

• Love 1

Many many years ago I was a cosmetologist and when a bridal party came in the morning we'd wash, set or blow dry and then use a curling iron with no problem having curls stay.  The trick was a setting lotion applied to the wet hair before the drying and curling process and instead of brushing it out we'd use a hair pick through the curls or waves.

Maybe the term setting lotion is not used anymore but I'm sure there are current similar products.  It would be great if the girls could get a hold of some and use that instead of using so much hairspray.

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 1

That's probably still the right product when you are at a salon. I will say that I have yet to attend a Fundy wedding where salon hair appointments (let alone professional make-up) happens for the bridal party. Most brides at this point do get one, however.

I think they just have a texture that holds curl easily. I have the opposite problem - even with blowouts, it wants to get very big and wavy if there's even a hint of moisture in the air.