Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
galax-arena

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Temperance said:

At one point it looks like the women are giving a women's talk. Based on a later photo, it's clearly Michelle, Kendra, Lauren, Jessa,  and then Anna, and Jana. In between Anna and Jessa, is someone I can't tell who it is, but it's not Joy. 

Abbie?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Abbie?

Maybe, but Abbie and JD joined the church that Sunday. If they were there, they must have left early. Not to mention their church doesn't seem to be part IBLP.  That was also the weekend Jill moved.

Edited by Temperance

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Temperance said:

At one point it looks like the women are giving a women's talk. Based on a later photo, it's clearly Michelle, Kendra, Lauren, Jessa,  and then Anna, and Jana. In between Anna and Jessa, is someone I can't tell who it is, but it's not Joy. 

I saw that pic on the Duggars' FB. It was described as a mother-daughter session.

Share this post


Link to post

Is this the photo you guys are talking about? Wish they hadn't taken it so far off. I think its Michelle, Kendra, Lauren,Jessa, Abbie, Anna & Jana.

image.thumb.png.d0a1bc79748a13343b587558818ee99f.png

Different Photo but Abbies not there. 

7433EE56519431D040E97B283F0C8DA9.img-382

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, that is quite the collection of ugly sandals. I don't get why they skimp out on the footwear. You can get cute shoes for cheap in so many places (Target, Ross, even Payless online is still selling shoes).

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Wow, that is quite the collection of ugly sandals. I don't get why they skimp out on the footwear. You can get cute shoes for cheap in so many places (Target, Ross, even Payless online is still selling shoes).

Right?! My first thought was wow, Michelle looks really nice...until I saw the footwear. If these women have foot problems or don't like heels there's plenty of dressy flats available. I don't understand their obsession with dingy brown sandals. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

 I don't understand their obsession with dingy brown sandals. 

Because Got-hard is obsessed with feet.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Right?! My first thought was wow, Michelle looks really nice...until I saw the footwear. If these women have foot problems or don't like heels there's plenty of dressy flats available. I don't understand their obsession with dingy brown sandals. 

Bare girl-toes for Gothard. 

I'm sure you've read some of the accounts of him getting into cars with teenage girls who already have problems, slipping out of his shoes and then reaching all the way over to the opposite corner of the car where they're trying to get away from him, taking off their shoes with his feet and playing massive footsie while pretending to be a holy guy who's counseling them on how to be excellent women for Christ. 

This is the person that JB and M followed and still follow slavishly in his various asinine -- detailed -- ideas about what women and girls should wear and how they should do their hair etc. etc. And they've known these stories about him the entire time they've been part of the Gothard thing. They have to have known because the stories were rife and circulating at the very time they joined. 

And the dingy brown sandals probably don't show new dirt or wear as much as, say, black or white sandals would and can -- they think -- be worn either as dressed up or dressed down. That's my guess about the ubiquitous color anyway. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Got-hard. Another great nickname.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I like Anna's dress minus the shoes. Michelle's outfit looks like she is a bank teller with a bad outfit. I wish she would do something with her hair.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Got-hard. Another great nickname.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I like Anna's dress minus the shoes. Michelle's outfit looks like she is a bank teller with a bad outfit. I wish she would do something with her hair.

But what about Anna’s arm? She’s only thirty! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

But what about Anna’s arm? She’s only thirty! 

She still looks half way decent considering who she is married to.

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like Michelle’s dress and Kendra’s dress. I am a fan of dots, I think they look feminine but not girly. Kendra’s dress is the most fashionable. The rest of the girls just look like they are hanging out, rather than giving a speech at an event. 

17 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

But what about Anna’s arm? She’s only thirty! 

Some people just have fat there even if they aren’t obese, it’s more noticeable at certain angles but Anna’s arm looks normal to me. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Bare girl-toes for Gothard. 

I'm sure you've read some of the accounts of him getting into cars with teenage girls who already have problems, slipping out of his shoes and then reaching all the way over to the opposite corner of the car where they're trying to get away from him, taking off their shoes with his feet and playing massive footsie while pretending to be a holy guy who's counseling them on how to be excellent women for Christ. 

This is the person that JB and M followed and still follow slavishly in his various asinine -- detailed -- ideas about what women and girls should wear and how they should do their hair etc. etc. And they've known these stories about him the entire time they've been part of the Gothard thing. They have to have known because the stories were rife and circulating at the very time they joined. 

And the dingy brown sandals probably don't show new dirt or wear as much as, say, black or white sandals would and can -- they think -- be worn either as dressed up or dressed down. That's my guess about the ubiquitous color anyway. 

Irony? Gothard was bodily escorted off the Big Sandy grounds last year. Yet the girls still seduce him. 

I am having to rethink what Jessa's up to. I thought she was done with Gothard. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Right?! My first thought was wow, Michelle looks really nice...until I saw the footwear. If these women have foot problems or don't like heels there's plenty of dressy flats available. I don't understand their obsession with dingy brown sandals. 

Well, at least she is not wearing the black support hose with the black clodhoppers she generally seems to default to...Baby steps?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I actually have several pairs of shoes similar to the ones Michelle's wearing, so no shade from me there. It's the closest I can get to sandals these days since I have toenail problems. Has anyone noticed if M. ever wears open-toed shoes? If not, there could be a medical issue like mine at play.

Are those Michelle's bare legs? I think she got vein surgery.

Edited by Portia
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

@Puffin yes those are the pictures. 

I actually don't care about the shoes. I think they are wearing shoes that are comfortable, which is good, especially as these conference days are probably long. Then several of them (Jessa, Anna, etc.) are pregnant and sandals may be more comfortable for them.  

Then Gothard wanted them covered from neck to ankle. Those skirts are noticably shorter than floor length. They contrast with the two women behind them.  

One final reason to wear sandals is they're in Texas and they spend some time outdoors.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Temperance said:

@Puffin yes those are the pictures. 

I actually don't care about the shoes. I think they are wearing shoes that are comfortable, which is good, especially as these conference days are probably long. Then several of them (Jessa, Anna, etc.) are pregnant and sandals may be more comfortable for them.  

Then Gothard wanted them covered from neck to ankle. Those skirts are noticably shorter than floor length. They contrast with the two women behind them.  

One final reason to wear sandals is they're in Texas and they spend some time outdoors.

Anna's wearing what looks to be 2" heels. Pregnant. Not judging, just observing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Kendra looks adorable, and much more current in that cute dress than the others.  That Missoni-style multicolor print looks great on her and is definitely appropriate for a lot of different occasions. 

Anna & Michelle look ok.  The rest look so dull in those washed-out and uninspired separates.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Jana looks so...frumpy.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Kendra looks adorable, and much more current in that cute dress than the others.  That Missoni-style multicolor print looks great on her and is definitely appropriate for a lot of different occasions. 

Anna & Michelle look ok.  The rest look so dull in those washed-out and uninspired separates.  

So true. As noted, Jana could be the illustration of "frumpy" in the dictionary.

Lauren seems to be rocking a 1950's maternity top look. 

Anna's wearing an old lady floral church dress with high-heeled thongs that are not a mile away from being "f*ck me" shoes.

Jessa's not as bad as those three but she now looks like she's being worn by a rogue mane of hair that will eventually creep down another foot or so and then tie her up, kind of like Rapunzel gone wrong. But overall, I'll cut her some slack because she's pregnant and it's hot in Texas and it looks like her legs are swollen. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

This could go in any thread! So I’m expecting a big announcement from them tomorrow!  I’m expecting Abbie and Lauren to announce, at the very least, to go along with the others! 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Kendra looks adorable, and much more current in that cute dress than the others.  That Missoni-style multicolor print looks great on her and is definitely appropriate for a lot of different occasions. 

Anna & Michelle look ok.  The rest look so dull in those washed-out and uninspired separates.  

I actually dislike Kendra's dress more than most of the others. She looks ok-ish, because she is young and cute, but that dress is not something I'd have ever worn in a million years. That pale and busy print all throughout the middle of the dress just doesn't do anything to flatter a pregnant figure, and would totally not work on my current apple shape.

If I were to wear any of the ensembles pictured, I'd have to go with Michelle's! 🤣

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Anna's wearing what looks to be 2" heels. Pregnant. Not judging, just observing.

They look like 1" wedges to me. 

27 minutes ago, awaken said:

This could go in any thread! So I’m expecting a big announcement from them tomorrow!  I’m expecting Abbie and Lauren to announce, at the very least, to go along with the others! 

I agree with you. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching a random birth video on YouTube.   I couldn't believe  it - the baby was only a few minutes old & the mother was boasting that the baby was "being obedient" because it took a deep breath after she told it to.   I thought of the Duggars right away especially the time when Anna was drilling a very young Marcus (or was it Michael?) on being obedient when they went to the store.

Edited by Barb23
  • Sad 12

Share this post


Link to post

I think their clothes are OK considering some of the hideous crap they have worn over the wears. Everyone looks like they made it into this decade. A little frumpy but that's nothing new for the Duggars. 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I always associate Ark Encounters with the Duggars since I believe they went there once. Or twice.  Anyway Ark Encounters is suing their insurance company. Because flood damage. 

Surely the flood is God’s will.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, Temperance said:

I always associate Ark Encounters with the Duggars since I believe they went there once. Or twice.  Anyway Ark Encounters is suing their insurance company. Because flood damage. 

Oh, the irony!

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/11/2019 at 8:19 AM, Churchhoney said:

Bare girl-toes for Gothard. 

I'm sure you've read some of the accounts of him getting into cars with teenage girls who already have problems, slipping out of his shoes and then reaching all the way over to the opposite corner of the car where they're trying to get away from him, taking off their shoes with his feet and playing massive footsie while pretending to be a holy guy who's counseling them on how to be excellent women for Christ. 

This is the person that JB and M followed and still follow slavishly in his various asinine -- detailed -- ideas about what women and girls should wear and how they should do their hair etc. etc. And they've known these stories about him the entire time they've been part of the Gothard thing. They have to have known because the stories were rife and circulating at the very time they joined. 

And the dingy brown sandals probably don't show new dirt or wear as much as, say, black or white sandals would and can -- they think -- be worn either as dressed up or dressed down. That's my guess about the ubiquitous color anyway. 

Seriously, we need another emoji that would be appropriate for the bolded.  Cause that shit is whack.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Natalie68 said:

Seriously, we need another emoji that would be appropriate for the bolded.  Cause that shit is whack.

we need a barf or a disgusting emoji

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/27/2019 at 10:39 PM, Nysha said:

I'm sure Jill's version, which she got from a family friend who made it whenever she came to visit, includes 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a 1 lb. block of Velveeta cheese, and two loaves of toasted white bread. Preheat the oven to 350*F, melt the cheese and dump the soup in the cheese. Spread one loaf of toast in a 20"x48" baking pan, dump half the gloop over the toast, spread the rest of the toast over the gloop, then dump the rest of the gloop in the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. 

This wouldn’t even qualify as fundie SOS in my book. Where’s the chipped beef? And “cheese” in it?  And baked? 🤮

Share this post


Link to post

We had a drag queen do a story time at my library. And she visited several libraries. 

The guy who does this works as a music teacher in a primary school as his day job. That Ken Ham idiot would also be horrified that a gay man teaches children.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

One of the fundie families I know that I talk about on here--when the mother found out I worked at a library, she got right up in my face with this crazed look in her eyes and informed me she didn't like her kids going into libraries because you had no idea what other people were up to!

She was furious about everyone's activity not being policed. I backed out of that conversation as fast as possible because she was super unhinged, but I found it hypocritical and weirdly hilarious coming from someone who was always whining about people's personal rights being infringed and controlled by the government. Guess it only counts when they're people she agrees with. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 11
  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

“Former science teacher and hardcore evangelical Ken Ham tweeted a link to a right wing article bemoaning the presence of LGBTQ-friendly books in libraries along with a caption stating “the enemy” is trying to infiltrate the hearts and minds of kids.”

I’m a retired school librarian. I feel so bad for the evangelical children and all the beautiful literature they miss. 😥

  • Like 9
  • Sad 15

Share this post


Link to post

I've been really surprised to see both Lauren and Jill use the hashtag #angelbabies in response to Joy's tragic stillbirth. To me that term conjures the image of a child who has died and become an angel, and that concept is most decidedly counter to Evangelical theology. Angels in scripture are created beings, not dead people. I'm guessing "angel baby" is a popular term among parents who've lost a young child, and of course it is completely harmless and may provide comfort for those in that awful situation...but as narrow and uptight as the Duggars are about their faith and lifestyle, it surprises me that they'd use language that perpetuates what they probably consider an unbiblical teaching. 

Edited by Portia · Reason: ding-dang typos!
  • Like 7
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Portia said:

I've been really surprised to see both Lauren and Jill use the hashtag #angelbabies in response to Joy's tragic stillbirth. To me that term conjures the image of a child who has died and become an angel, and that concept is most decidedly counter to Evangelical theology. Angels in scripture are created beings, not dead people. I'm guessing "angel baby" is a popular term among parents who've lost a young child, and of course it is completely harmless and may provide comfort for those in that awful situation...but as narrow and uptight as the Duggars are about their faith and lifestyle, it surprises me that they'd use language that perpetuates what they probably consider an unbiblical teaching. 

It is a “popular” (as in, commonly used online on SM and support forums) term, but for miscarriages - the way Lauren and Joy (or others in regards to them) are using it. I know the term and hashtag from a handful of friends and their first and second trimester miscarriages - the several I’ve seen use it are all non-fundie evangelical, as well.

I’ve never seen it used in terms of the death of a post-natal child. I’m thinking that doesn’t change the (likely?) theological issue, but just to confirm that it (and rainbow baby) are both popular used terms in the last 5-10 years, and among evangelicals, in terms of miscarriage.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2019 at 5:25 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

We had a drag queen do a story time at my library. And she visited several libraries. 

The guy who does this works as a music teacher in a primary school as his day job. That Ken Ham idiot would also be horrified that a gay man teaches children.

If I didn't know any better I would think that you are talking about Boytrons music teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

If I didn't know any better I would think that you are talking about Boytrons music teacher.

Well, if you live close to Montreal...

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/4/2019 at 11:42 PM, Portia said:

I've been really surprised to see both Lauren and Jill use the hashtag #angelbabies in response to Joy's tragic stillbirth. To me that term conjures the image of a child who has died and become an angel, and that concept is most decidedly counter to Evangelical theology. Angels in scripture are created beings, not dead people. I'm guessing "angel baby" is a popular term among parents who've lost a young child, and of course it is completely harmless and may provide comfort for those in that awful situation...but as narrow and uptight as the Duggars are about their faith and lifestyle, it surprises me that they'd use language that perpetuates what they probably consider an unbiblical teaching. 

I presume they mean their child is in heaven not an actual angel, who knows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'd guess it's another situation of cherry picking. #angelbaby might go against their theological positions but it's trendy and more catchy than #unbornsoulinheaven or #clumpofcellsthatdidntstick

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Hey Duggar family today is your favorite free food holiday Dress like a cow and get free food. Now hurry up which I know is impossible on Duggar time, get dressed up in your favorite cow attire and get to your local  Chick-fil-A trough.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size