Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Re: Anna's Chickenetti, it is verrrry similar to Britney Spears's favorite: Lynne Spears' Chicken Spaghetti.. I had posted this on the TwoP forums a while back. I actually make it when I go skiing. It pairs nicely with booze.

http://the-world-of-britney-spears.clubs.nl/nieuws/detail/262279_the-recipe-for-lynne-spears-chicken-spaghetti

ETA: this recipe was originally published in Seventeen magazine circa 2002, the one with Britney in a bathtub full of diamonds and she was holding one over her eye.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 1

I don't understand this recipe. One mixes cold canned tomatoes with cold canned soup and cold processed cheese and then stir in cooked spaghetti and onions. Then let it sit for 10 minutes. Won't the whole dish be stone cold or at most lukewarm by the time you eat it?

Yep, and the onions would be raw.  I think that disgusting mess is missing a few steps in the process.  But I completely understand why it appeals to the average hillbilly, i.e. Britney & the Duggars. 

ETA: Oh good lord, there's an entire Pinterest board devoted to that type concoction....

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/chicken-spaghetti-velveeta/

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I don't understand this recipe. One mixes cold canned tomatoes with cold canned soup and cold processed cheese and then stir in cooked spaghetti and onions. Then let it sit for 10 minutes. Won't the whole dish be stone cold or at most lukewarm by the time you eat it?

Duggarnara?

With that recipe as a starting point there is also the very real possibility of the discovery of a new superbug named, by an upthread poster whose name I wish I could remember, C Dugg.

• Love 1

I think Lynne nukes everything to heat it and mix it together.

If you mix canned tomatoes, velveeta and condensed soup together in a saucepan with cooked chicken, pour it over cooked pasta and bake it in the oven, it's not terrible. Overly processed and salty, yes, but not terrible ;)

Reminds me of that dip with Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese. Which is decent as a guilty pleasure once in awhile, but I just do not see it being good as a dinner with spaghetti, onions, and chicken added. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Love 3

I had to google Rotel. I don't know what chiles they use, but they have to be mild, right? I'd just dice up some Roma tomatoes and jalapenos. Wouldn't that be equivalent?

The pasta and cheddar cheese sound totally disgusting. Tortillas and queso fresco maybe?

I had to google Rotel. I don't know what chiles they use, but they have to be mild, right? I'd just dice up some Roma tomatoes and jalapenos. Wouldn't that be equivalent?

The pasta and cheddar cheese sound totally disgusting. Tortillas and queso fresco maybe?

Yeah they're mild, milder than jalapenos even I think. The generic version is sold as "tomatoes and diced green chiles."  I think they use anaheims for the regular, but the spicy version has jalapenos [ETA or maybe habaneros?  I dunno - hot!].  Something about the addition of pasta and diced cooked chicken just yuck, although I must admit some small part of me wants to try this Chicken-etti mess to see if it's really got anything to it even though it sounds gross.

Also ETA: I think diced up anything not canned might be too fresh for the dip version of this, but I've used canned diced tomatoes and diced green chilies and it's pretty good if you're in a processed-food-kinda-mood. Worth a shot with fresh, though.

Edited by NikSac

If I recall, that relationship book was "written" before their marriages. And before any courtships. It was written before any of the girls had any boy/girl relationships at all! I read the book from the library. I was stunned that the girls were spouting out so much relationship advice!

But they'd spent a day or so observing other people's relationships, and they were experts by that time, weren't they?

• Love 8

Is Chad Payne's sister still being the school marm of the SODRT? (Think that's who it was.)

I was watching an old Dateline show hosted by Tamryn Hall. I thought she had turned into a Duggar. She was wearing a lime green puffy-sleeved blouse. Of course, hers was much more fashionable-it looked like a satin type of material & looked nice on her.

Yes, Chad's older sister, Tabitha, is now headmistress at the SOTDRT.

Here, Tabitha and a leghumper have a comment-section exchange on Tabitha's life plans and her current life with those godly Duggars. .... She has, um, some writing challenges, too, looks like.

Anyway, altogether -- Crikey. 

http://12paines.com/about/tabitha/

Becky says:

November 10, 2015 at 3:03 am

Is Tabitha courting anyone at the moment? I’ve seen her with the Duggars a lot over the last year or so and I was wondering if maybe she was courting John-David. It would be great if you could either confirm or deny this. :)

Tabitha says:

November 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

@ Becky

So glad you asked! It’s easy to assume and few people branch out to find the real answer to questions like these :)

I have been a live-in tutor to the Duggar children for the past year. Because we don’t do school 24/7 I am able to join in with the family’s work, and fun activities during the weekends and evenings. Hence, the reason why you may see so many pictures! But, I am in no such relationship. I may just be single for the rest of my life

I sure do enjoy where God has me, and want to do as Jim Elliot encouraged: “Wherever you are; Be all there”! Blessings!

Becky M. says:

November 13, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Tabitha, thank you so much for replying to my comment! I hope I didn’t offend anyone by asking such a personal question. It’s just that the Duggars have really helped me a lot over the years, even though I’ve never actually met them. They’ve really influenced my life and made it possible for me to grow closer to God. It has been such a joy to watch three of the Duggars (Josh, Jill, and Jessa) grow from children to adults and witness them marry and start families. I consider it an honor to have been a small part of that, as a viewer of the show and a long-time fan of the family. It breaks my heart a little bit knowing that I won’t be able to have that insight into the rest of the family anymore. :(

Could you maybe share my feelings with them, and let them know that they have a very loyal fan and supporter in me? Thank you and thanks again for responding. It really made my day! :)

Becky

(PS) Just out of curiosity, is anyone else in the family courting or getting to know anyone? If you can’t answer, that’s fine. I completely understand. Just please know that I’m not asking out of a desire to start rumors or anything. I genuinely love and care for this family and my number one wish is to get the opportunity to meet them someday and tell them how much they mean to me! :)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Here, Tabitha and a leghumper have a comment-section exchange on Tabitha's life plans and her current life with those godly Duggars. .... She has, um, some writing challenges, too, looks like.

Anyway, altogether -- Crikey. 

http://12paines.com/about/tabitha/

Becky says:

November 10, 2015 at 3:03 am

Is Tabitha courting anyone at the moment? I’ve seen her with the Duggars a lot over the last year or so and I was wondering if maybe she was courting John-David. It would be great if you could either confirm or deny this. :)

Tabitha says:

November 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

@ Becky

So glad you asked! It’s easy to assume and few people branch out to find the real answer to questions like these :)

I have been a live-in tutor to the Duggar children for the past year. Because we don’t do school 24/7 I am able to join in with the family’s work, and fun activities during the weekends and evenings. Hence, the reason why you may see so many pictures! But, I am in no such relationship. I may just be single for the rest of my life

I sure do enjoy where God has me, and want to do as Jim Elliot encouraged: “Wherever you are; Be all there”! Blessings!

Becky M. says:

November 13, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Tabitha, thank you so much for replying to my comment! I hope I didn’t offend anyone by asking such a personal question. It’s just that the Duggars have really helped me a lot over the years, even though I’ve never actually met them. They’ve really influenced my life and made it possible for me to grow closer to God. It has been such a joy to watch three of the Duggars (Josh, Jill, and Jessa) grow from children to adults and witness them marry and start families. I consider it an honor to have been a small part of that, as a viewer of the show and a long-time fan of the family. It breaks my heart a little bit knowing that I won’t be able to have that insight into the rest of the family anymore. :(

Could you maybe share my feelings with them, and let them know that they have a very loyal fan and supporter in me? Thank you and thanks again for responding. It really made my day! :)

Becky

(PS) Just out of curiosity, is anyone else in the family courting or getting to know anyone? If you can’t answer, that’s fine. I completely understand. Just please know that I’m not asking out of a desire to start rumors or anything. I genuinely love and care for this family and my number one wish is to get the opportunity to meet them someday and tell them how much they mean to me! :)

As Kate Gosselin would say "Lordy B".  Both of them - Tabitha and Becky - oy veh.

• Love 2

I have seen Tabby's response before but never really critiqued it as an editor. Thirty year old teachers shouldn't be writing with fragments and misplaced commas. Those last few howlers and lost girls are fucked.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 7

I have seen Tabby's response before but never really critiqued it as an editor. Thirty year old teachers shouldn't be writing with fragments and misplaced commas. Those last few howlers and lost girls are fucked.

Indeed.

And "branch out" instead of "reach out"?      Either she's got a very poor grasp of word usage and vocabulary or she's a very careless editor of her work. Neither a good thing for the head of a rather large one-room schoolhouse.

• Love 2

Absolutely not. I work with my (adult) tutees daily on word choice. It's hilarious when I read a paper that's been subjected to Thesaurus.com with abandon. I make it clear to my students that big words aren't always the best, and that they must be used judiciously. Students don't seem to understand that we can tell when they're trying to impress, rather than let words fall into place. Tabby doesn't seem to have this instinct, but of course she's writing in Gothardese, which presents a whole other set of problems.

• Love 4

"I may just be single for the rest of my life."

Tabitha is SO not bitter about being 30 and a live-in spinster/nanny/tutor for the Duggars. Nope, no siree, not at all...

Poor thing. She really must be devastated, given how she's been raised. And then she has to keep sweet about it. So many of their lives are probably chock full of sadness and resentments and a heaping helping of falsehoods to obscure the other two. Awful, really.

• Love 7

So sad in their world. While I had a couple of serious relationships starting at 17, I didn't meet my husband until I had just turned 30. I'm so glad I didn't have the "one God has for me" crap drilled into my head. While I'm still good friends with my first long-term, live-in boyfriend, I'm glad we never got married! Double for the guy I dated in my mid-to-late 20's. Poor Tabby. I am proof that you can be an old married sow and STILL be able to get educated ON AN ACTUAL COLLEGE CAMPUS (I didn't graduate college until I was in my 40's) and still have a successful marriage [eta: looking at YOU, Jill]. Tabby can't even seem to get one thing right. To think that her father is a real doctor, this is a serious dumbing down of her generation in order to bend them to Gothard. 

The parents are ALWAYS to blame, especially assholes like Dr. Paine and Gil Bates, who sit on Gothard's Board of Directors. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 13

Duggar Aviation has gone private. I even registered for a free Flight Aware account, but I can't access the plane records any longer. It took them long enough to figure out that people could track the plane and that some fool who posts on FJ actually lived around the Rockford airport and took pictures/reported from the scene. 

It's also a pity since we could have tracked whether the Jinger/Lawson "getting to know you" phase was progressing, since she and Joy were flown in that one day for a fucking football game. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for Tabitha because if she was living in the real world, single and 30 is no biggie. She'd probably be dating, have a career, friends, hobbies etc. However in Gothardland, you're pretty much a pitiable outcast.

• Love 8

Duggar Aviation has gone private. I even registered for a free Flight Aware account, but I can't access the plane records any longer. It took them long enough to figure out that people could track the plane and that some fool who posts on FJ actually lived around the Rockford airport and took pictures/reported from the scene. 

It's also a pity since we could have tracked whether the Jinger/Lawson "getting to know you" phase was progressing, since she and Joy were flown in that one day for a fucking football game.

I got all excited when I read the first line of your post. "I even registered for a free Flight Aware account....." The way the sentence was separated on different lines, I read it as you registered for a free flight (with the Duggars.) That's really taking one for the team. Lol.
  • Love 6

Like the Duggars would ever fly any of us anywhere! LMAO! 

True, Sew Sumi, very true ! But would any of us ever want to have them fly us anywhere either LOL ?! I'm assuming "Nope" from just about everyone here.

There is a minimum, objective level of competence that has to be proven in order to have a pilot's license, and it's not an easy thing to do, certainly. There's also a minimum, objective level of safety, maintenance, and flight-worthiness that has to be proven in order to have a plane take flight. 

The Duggars are people who have, time and time again, simply watched tradesmen/craftsmen/professionals/etc, for a scant few hours and declared themselves "experts". They're also the world's biggest skinflints, making "Buy used and save the difference" almost a second religion. 

It all begs the question - how did JB get an actual pilot's license ? You can't just watch people flying and then just "wing it" (pun intended) and you also can't just buy a shitty, second-hand "beater" airplane and jerry-rig it together with duct tape and prayers ! It's not like them cobbling the TaterTotCastle together using free toddler-to-teen labor and needing, ultimately, to TLC having to rescue their amateur selves from a great folly.

Jill is a "midwife". Jinger is a "photographer". The Howlers are "film makers". And Michelle is the Mother of the Year. 

To me, JD has obtained the only actual, legitimate, noteworthy achievement in the entire family ! So how on earth did he do it ?

• Love 6

To me, JD has obtained the only actual, legitimate, noteworthy achievement in the entire family ! So how on earth did he do it ?

JD received his early schooling before Michelle became totally overwhelmed with children. While his education likely suffered a lot of HUGE gaps in his teenage years, I am guessing that he had a half-decent foundation on which he was able to build with a lot of time, effort, and one-on-one tutelage with a capable mentor/instructor pilot.

Props to him. (Pun also intended.)

Edited by Guest

If JD is the alleged smart one of the group, the Duggars are in big trouble. A twenty five year old man under the thumb of daddy and had to get permission from his daddy, daddy owns the planes he flies, he is only allowed to fly family members or other fundies, probably does not fly that much, had his sisters go with him on emergency runs because he might be tempted by a female hussy, and lets not forget the embarrassing episode where daddy went on a ride along with JD. Sorry, in my opinion, he is not a success. Just like the Duggars saying Jill is a medical expert. Sure, they are trying to prove their children have succeeded with their lousy education, but let them try out their "skills" in the real world (and no I do not mean Central America or the area where the family lives, or under the strict watchful eyes of JB and Michelle.)

I wouldn't worry about safety as much as I would about being locked in a small plane with Jim Bob's halitosis.  That grinning fool would be filling the cabin with his stench.  If Josh was along for the ride, you'd have to worry about his "sly" ways.  Of course the other risk is you are up for murder charges when you push one or more of the Duggars out of the plane.  It's a battle as to whether JB or Mechelle would be the first to get tossed.  

In the turd filled pool of the Duggars, John David floats to the top.  He's still a turd in the bowl.  

• Love 8

"I may just be single for the rest of my life."

Tabitha is SO not bitter about being 30 and a live-in spinster/nanny/tutor for the Duggars. Nope, no siree, not at all...

Poor thing. She really must be devastated, given how she's been raised. And then she has to keep sweet about it. So many of their lives are probably chock full of sadness and resentments and a heaping helping of falsehoods to obscure the other two. Awful, really.

And this is why I can understand why Jessa made the choice to marry Ben the idiot. Because for Gothard girls it's their only other choice, and it's marginally better than being farmed out by your parents to parent another couple's children.

• Love 12

Is Tabitha paid to be the live-in tutor? Or is it just a "blessing" to be lent out to your parents to teach other people's kids in exchange for the parents not having to feed/house you? Does she live in the girls' dorm room too?

Why can't Jinger or one of the other girls who has finished her SODRT education teach the littles? It's not like they have jobs.

• Love 8

My guess is Boob and Michelle were hoping for a courtship with JD, and it didn't happen. I'd be very surprised if the Duggars are paying Tabitha to tutor their kids. We're talking about the griftiest of grifters who exploit others to get freebies. Tabitha probably went along because Prince Charming couldn't find her address in Oklahoma and she was getting desperate.

• Love 6

And isn't it curious that none of the Duggar daughters has done anything like what Tabitha is doing. And I believe that Priscilla has stayed with, and helped the Duggars, and maybe even Michaela at one time too. The closet thing I can think of is Joy helping out Sierra after this last birth. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

And isn't it curious that non of the Duggar daughters has done anything like what Tabitha is doing. And I believe that Priscilla has stayed with, and helped the Duggars, and maybe even Michaela at one time too. The closet thing I can think of is Joy helping out Sierra after this last birth. 

Jana often stayed in D.C. to help Anna with the M'kids. However, I don't believe that the Duggars would ever do anything like that for non-family. 

Is Tabitha paid to be the live-in tutor? Or is it just a "blessing" to be lent out to your parents to teach other people's kids in exchange for the parents not having to feed/house you? Does she live in the girls' dorm room too?

Why can't Jinger or one of the other girls who has finished her SODRT education teach the littles? It's not like they have jobs.

And isn't it curious that none of the Duggar daughters has done anything like what Tabitha is doing. And I believe that Priscilla has stayed with, and helped the Duggars, and maybe even Michaela at one time too. The closet thing I can think of is Joy helping out Sierra after this last birth. 

Jana often stayed in D.C. to help Anna with the M'kids. However, I don't believe that the Duggars would ever do anything like that for non-family. 

Here is what I don't understand about the ass backwardness of their thinking...  They believe in having tons of kids, yet cannot take care of them without help.  Isn't a huge part of parenting the actual "taking care of" the children you brought into this world??  If you cannot take care of them, you should not have them.  As in -- hmm, I'm feeling overwhelmed enough to have a complete fucking breakdown in my laundry room -- guess the answer is to have another dozen kids.  God will put it in someone's heart to come help me because I have gone to all of the trouble to birth them.  Because that makes sense.   Fucking idiots.   So not fair to any of their kids.

• Love 19

I kind of think that, besides the stinginess, the control-freakiness, the desire to isolate and even some subconscious fear that the kids would see a different way of life and ask some questions also play in. As we've discussed, some of the other Gothard parents buy into his stuff the way the Duggars do but nevertheless aren't personally as nuts as JB and M. I think they have several reasons for being less likely than some others to let their kids spend much time in other people's houses.

Here is what I don't understand about the ass backwardness of their thinking...  They believe in having tons of kids, yet cannot take care of them without help.  Isn't a huge part of parenting the actual "taking care of" the children you brought into this world??  If you cannot take care of them, you should not have them.  As in -- hmm, I'm feeling overwhelmed enough to have a complete fucking breakdown in my laundry room -- guess the answer is to have another dozen kids.  God will put it in someone's heart to come help me because I have gone to all of the trouble to birth them.  Because that makes sense.   Fucking idiots.   So not fair to any of their kids.

Extreme personality disorders.

They really aren't sane. They just play sane on tv. Unfortunately.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

Like the Duggars would ever do anything for free. :-)

I'm always reminded of Jim Bob's political campaign that he spent a quarter of a million dollars on while his six or eight kids were all living in a two bedroom shitty house with one bathroom. Long before they were reality famewhores, people in their own community found him a distasteful famewhore willing to exploit his children for his own personal gain.

• Love 12

I'm always reminded of Jim Bob's political campaign that he spent a quarter of a million dollars on while his six or eight kids were all living in a two bedroom shitty house with one bathroom

More like thriteen or so. With a handsy brother.

• Love 9

I think it's impossible for the single adult children to be accompanied by an accountabilibuddy to the extent Jimchelle would like. Having the single adult daughters shadow the single adult sons leaves Michelle with no J-Slaves. Jill got a speeding ticket driving by herself, Jimchelle didn't seem think the problem was a lack of an accountabilibuddy. The J-Slaves seem to be allowed to run errands by themselves.

• Love 3

Like the Duggars would ever do anything for free. :-)

Hey now, the Duggars are fine, charitable Christians.  After all, the Bible says:

Proverbs 19:17 -- One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, And He will repay him for his good deed.

Matthew 25:35 -- 'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;

1 John 3:17 -- But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?

So of course they are charitable to all in need.  Oh wait, no, I think I pulled a muscle from laughing so hard.  Jim Bob and charitable acts - never the twain shall meet.  

They seem to have also forgotten:

Matthew 6:1-4 -- "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

• Love 9

I think it's impossible for the single adult children to be accompanied by an accountabilibuddy to the extent Jimchelle would like. Having the single adult daughters shadow the single adult sons leaves Michelle with no J-Slaves. Jill got a speeding ticket driving by herself, Jimchelle didn't seem think the problem was a lack of an accountabilibuddy. The J-Slaves seem to be allowed to run errands by themselves.

That is interesting and a bit reassuring. I wonder what their parameters are.

Hey now, the Duggars are fine, charitable Christians.  After all, the Bible says:

Proverbs 19:17 -- One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, And He will repay him for his good deed.

Matthew 25:35 -- 'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;

1 John 3:17 -- But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?

But ... but ... but... they buy coffee for random people at drive-thrus ALL THE TIME.  That counts for something, right?  RIGHT?!

• Love 2

But ... but ... but... they buy coffee for random people at drive-thrus ALL THE TIME. That counts for something, right? RIGHT?!

Actually, someone bought Starbucks for Benessa. She did not go on to say that she paid it forward. So.....

• Love 9

Here is what I don't understand about the ass backwardness of their thinking...  They believe in having tons of kids, yet cannot take care of them without help.  Isn't a huge part of parenting the actual "taking care of" the children you brought into this world??  If you cannot take care of them, you should not have them.  

That's not their philosophy.  The parents only raise the first few children. When they have enough, they allow those FEMALE children to raise all the additional children.  

So basically you only teach your children how to raise children, not be children.  Because they're arrows in your quiver.  Because Jesus. 

• Love 9

So guns are necessary?  Teenagers with automatic rifles would sure make me feel safe. NOT!

Not to mention that rifle is pointed in the direction of the feet of whichever Howler that is.

Also looked like interpretative dance happened again as well.

• Love 2