Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I'm the one who mentioned the hearsay that JB avoids talking to women working in restaurants when he dines out. That was among some other info from locals that came out after one of the Joshgate scandals earlier this year. That included a report that he likes to sit in a restaurant facing a wall. Apparently that's so he's not defrauded by - or could sully himself by - looking at women who happen to be in the place.

I believe it. Typical Duggar histrionics. Boob can't even eat in a restaurant without feeling the need to prove his moral superiority. If he was really that concerned about being defrauded by sluts, he could just avert his eyes with the ocular muscles God gave him. But then of course he'd have to find some other way to set himself apart with his grand gestures of holiness.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 9

I believe it. Typical Duggar histrionics. Boob can't even eat in a restaurant without feeling the need to prove his moral superiority. If he was really that concerned about being defrauded by sluts, he could just avert his eyes with the ocular muscles God gave him. But then of course he'd have to find some other way to set himself apart with his grand gestures of holiness.

Or he could even actually see the woman, maybe even note a Desire That Cannot Be Righteously Fulfilled, and due to knowing right from wrong, NOt ACT ON THE DESIRE, and then turn his thoughts to something else entirely. No guilt involved, just a nice responsible acknowledgment of human biology and an appropriate response thereto. Yes, JB, it's true, we don't have to be shunted around like horses in blinders to negotiate temptation. No shit! Can you believe it??? God gave us brains!!

• Love 15

Or he could even actually see the woman, maybe even note a Desire That Cannot Be Righteously Fulfilled, and due to knowing right from wrong, NOt ACT ON THE DESIRE, and then turn his thoughts to something else entirely. No guilt involved, just a nice responsible acknowledgment of human biology and an appropriate response thereto. Yes, JB, it's true, we don't have to be shunted around like horses in blinders to negotiate temptation. No shit! Can you believe it??? God gave us brains!!

LOL

• Love 2

I assume that part of the not speaking thing is to avoid having mutual defrauding take place. I mean, if women are out working then they're clearly sluts. So they might defraud JB. And, of course, he's so extremely attractive that he's likely to totally defraud any woman he goes near. So he shouldn't talk to them either, for their sake. After all, they're sluts but they have the misfortune of working for a living rather than being wholly under some guy's umbrella. So they have enough problems without being defrauded by Jim Bob. 

The refusal to talk is a safety measure really.    (ETA: DId I forget tho turn on the sarcasm beacon for this last line?)

I have no first hand verification, but I remember a post from several months ago that said if Michelle and JimBob were being served by a waitress, he told Michelle what he wanted to order and she then told the waitress. Which yeah, stupid.

• Love 3

I have no first hand verification, but I remember a post from several months ago that said if Michelle and JimBob were being served by a waitress, he told Michelle what he wanted to order and she then told the waitress. Which yeah, stupid.

Because if you have occasion to say "I'll have the bacon and eggs, scrambled" to a stranger member of the opposite sex, this absolutely cannot be said face to face without falling into the trap of "making eyes at him/her", or "noticing she has a bosom".

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2

Because if you have occasion to say "I'll have the bacon and eggs, scrambled" to a stranger member of the opposite sex, this absolutely cannot be said face to face without falling into the trap of "making eyes at him/her", or "noticing she has a bosom".

This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit where an, ummm... unusually confident but unfortunately looks-challenged woman was certain that every single guy she crossed paths with was coming on to her in the most wanton, lascivious, sexually-charged manner possible...

Random Guy: Excuse me, miss, do you know what time it is ?

Unusually Confident Woman: (Blowing a rape whistle) Whoa ! Whoa, buddy ! You'd better back off ! I'm a married lady, you sexual pervert ! Get outta here !

I'm pretty sure JB thinks that every woman he comes across will simply melt in the wake of his strapping, ultra-testosterone-y charms and start whipping off items of clothing left and right because they just can't help it...

Shouldn't JB be wearing a muumuu, a tent cover, a hoodie and a ski-mask then, because we wimmins just can't control ourselves ? 

JimBoob, you magnificent, defrauding bastard. 

• Love 15

I'm pretty sure JB thinks that every woman he comes across will simply melt in the wake of his strapping, ultra-testosterone-y charms and start whipping off items of clothing left and right because they just can't help it...

Shouldn't JB be wearing a muumuu, a tent cover, a hoodie and a ski-mask then, because we wimmins just can't control ourselves ? 

The sentence "JimBoob, you magnificent, defrauding bastard" may be the funniest thing I've read on here!!!  

I'm just picturing Boob running through a hail of underwear and skirts chanting "Nike, Nike, Nike!" 

• Love 9

JB & M take everything to the nth degree. On an episode prior to Jessa's engagement, Michele flipped a nutty when when Ben & Jessa held hands during a prayer.

It makes me want to hold Michelle's face in my hands and sweetly say, "They're just hands Michelle, just hands."

• Love 4

JB & M take everything to the nth degree. On an episode prior to Jessa's engagement, Michele flipped a nutty when when Ben & Jessa held hands during a prayer.

It makes me want to hold Michelle's face in my hands and sweetly say, "They're just hands Michelle, just hands."

Tsk tsk. Don't you know by now? The words "just' or "only" apply to nothing related to the Duggars. They take themselves far too seriously for that. Well, except for serial child molestation. That's a "just' and "only" situation.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

They still follow the JOY thing.

1. Speak Jesus and see what that can do for you.

2. Befriend others and see what they can do for you.

3. Remember how important it is to let others do for you.

I find it hard to believe Jim Bob ignores waitresses. They are a captive audience for his particular brand of humor. I can just imagine him telling one of his dumb jokes and breaking out the donkey laugh while the waitress looks vaguely confused, his kids look vaguely embarrassed and Michelle just looks vague.

• Love 8

Tsk tsk. Don't you know by now? The words "just' or "only" apply to nothing related to the Duggars. They take themselves far too seriously for that. Well, except for serial child molestation. That's a "just' and "only" situation.

Churchoney - Awesome ! 

But may I add one thing to the "just" and "only" situation, please ? 

It's "except". As in "We don't let our children 'date', except when a courting goes south, and then it didn't happen and it's just not...anything. No pieces of hearts were given away for the filming of this show."

Or, "We don't borrow or lend money, because that's against our principles, except when we're involved with eleventy-umpty nefarious business dealings, including, apparently, trying to shore up our cash reserves by selling property to avoid giant losses in a prostitution scandal lawsuit."

Or, "We don't wear immodest clothing at any time or call attention to anything but our countenances, except when we bring up Michelle mowing the lawn in her bikini for the thousandth time, AND have shown the pictures to boot !"

Or... well, I can keep going, but the Duggrifters just exhaust me. 

Do what I say, but don't do what I do, ad infinitum. 

• Love 13

Churchoney - Awesome ! 

But may I add one thing to the "just" and "only" situation, please ? 

It's "except". As in "We don't let our children 'date', except when a courting goes south, and then it didn't happen and it's just not...anything. No pieces of hearts were given away for the filming of this show."

Or, "We don't borrow or lend money, because that's against our principles, except when we're involved with eleventy-umpty nefarious business dealings, including, apparently, trying to shore up our cash reserves by selling property to avoid giant losses in a prostitution scandal lawsuit."

Or, "We don't wear immodest clothing at any time or call attention to anything but our countenances, except when we bring up Michelle mowing the lawn in her bikini for the thousandth time, AND have shown the pictures to boot !"

Or... well, I can keep going, but the Duggrifters just exhaust me. 

Do what I say, but don't do what I do, ad infinitum. 

Perfect.

• Love 2

I find it hard to believe Jim Bob ignores waitresses. They are a captive audience for his particular brand of humor. I can just imagine him telling one of his dumb jokes and breaking out the donkey laugh while the waitress looks vaguely confused, his kids look vaguely embarrassed and Michelle just looks vague.

Maybe that's the connection.  He can't make a simple recitative statement like "I'll have the bacon and eggs", without putting on a show of bad verbal tapdancing designed to, wait, impress the audience, which is where the defrauding comes in.

• Love 4

This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit where an, ummm... unusually confident but unfortunately looks-challenged woman was certain that every single guy she crossed paths with was coming on to her in the most wanton, lascivious, sexually-charged manner possible...

Random Guy: Excuse me, miss, do you know what time it is ?

Unusually Confident Woman: (Blowing a rape whistle) Whoa ! Whoa, buddy ! You'd better back off ! I'm a married lady, you sexual pervert ! Get outta here !

ILU for this so much.

• Love 1

They still follow the JOY thing.

1. Speak Jesus and see what that can do for you.

2. Befriend others and see what they can do for you.

3. Remember how important it is to let others do for you.

LOL @ the donkey laugh. He does resemble a donkey that's for sure.

• Love 3

You know what they say ... 'If he walks like a donkey, talks like a donkey, and even has donkey dentition, he probably IS an ass.'

I didn't think women could be defrauded. That is reserved for men IIRC.

And this is Because fundie men like to think their wives find ONLY THEM attractive and lust-inducing.

Damn, I've dropped a napkin or two, to be defrauded on purpose.

• Love 1

Maybe that's the connection. He can't make a simple recitative statement like "I'll have the bacon and eggs", without putting on a show of bad verbal tapdancing designed to, wait, impress the audience, which is where the defrauding comes in.

*looks at put-put hump-hump video*

... well, if this is what Jim Bob thinks is funny, he does have a defrauding sense of humor. My desire to sue him for emotional distress will never be righteously fulfilled.

• Love 7

I didn't think women could be defrauded. That is reserved for men IIRC.

Well, I don't know what they think for-certain as someone who hasn't watched an episode in her life, but I think a woman can be defrauded in their eyes if the man's behavior indicates he might be interested when the man can't actually fulfill the interest.  I think this because while I don't know much about the Duggars' defrauding principles, the point of view I outline is perfectly in line with courtship principles, which they for-sure practice.  Casual contact that could be construed as flirtatious, takes away heart pieces.  Creating a desire in someone and not being prepared to gratify it (by healthy conjugal maritally sanctioned sex only, of course), is I think defrauding.  Mere conversation with sparkling JB must qualify as irresistible flirtation just because "he is": QED, I think he would be seen as defrauding. ;P

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
 Well, I don't know what they think for-certain as someone who hasn't watched an episode in her life, but I think a woman can be defrauded in their eyes if the man's behavior indicates he might be interested when the man can't actually fulfill the interest.  I think this because while I don't know much about the Duggars' defrauding principles, the point of view I outline is perfectly in line with courtship principles, which they for-sure practice.  Casual contact that could be construed as flirtatious, takes away heart pieces.  Creating a desire in someone and not being prepared to gratify it (by healthy conjugal maritally sanctioned sex only, of course), is I think defrauding.  Mere conversation with sparkling JB must qualify as irresistible flirtation just because "he is": QED, I think he would be seen as defrauding. ;P

You actually made me think back to an ancient time when the merest brush of an arm or other accidental touch of anyone I might find even remotely attractive would be enough to send tingles caroming throughout my being even before I had only the vaguest idea of what it was all about. Heck, a side-hug at that point would probably have sent me into orbit.

I suppose that is why there families so obsessively limit any exposure to anyone outside their circle. Because those feelings are inevitable. But then again, it's hardly surprising that these kids, sheltered from every outside touch might go on to "experimentation" (both non-consensual and, doubtless, occasionally consensual as well) within their familial circle, as these are feelings which boil up from a instinctive place, untempered, as yet, by maturity. They are never going to be completely suppressed.

I remember the first time I gave away a piece of my heart. I was six. I don't think I ever even spoke to him. We were both in the children's ward of an English hospital, circa 1965, getting our tonsils out, though he was a day before me and still more or less under anesthesia when I first laid eyes on him. He was of that fair, pale-skinned type with almost translucent skin and looked like a sleeping angel. I was transfixed. His name was Gerard, and his image is still seared into my brain 50 years later. But somehow I survived without that bit of my heart and went on to a 30-year-and-counting marriage unscathed. Go figure.

• Love 15

You actually made me think back to an ancient time when the merest brush of an arm or other accidental touch of anyone I might find even remotely attractive would be enough to send tingles caroming throughout my being even before I had only the vaguest idea of what it was all about. Heck, a side-hug at that point would probably have sent me into orbit.

I suppose that is why there families so obsessively limit any exposure to anyone outside their circle. Because those feelings are inevitable. But then again, it's hardly surprising that these kids, sheltered from every outside touch might go on to "experimentation" (both non-consensual and, doubtless, occasionally consensual as well) within their familial circle, as these are feelings which boil up from a instinctive place, untempered, as yet, by maturity. They are never going to be completely suppressed.

I remember the first time I gave away a piece of my heart. I was six. I don't think I ever even spoke to him. We were both in the children's ward of an English hospital, circa 1965, getting our tonsils out, though he was a day before me and still more or less under anesthesia when I first laid eyes on him. He was of that fair, pale-skinned type with almost translucent skin and looked like a sleeping angel. I was transfixed. His name was Gerard, and his image is still seared into my brain 50 years later. But somehow I survived without that bit of my heart and went on to a 30-year-and-counting marriage unscathed. Go figure.

Aw, sweet!  

I agree that's the general courtship principle.  When you haven't "done anything", holding hands is an exciting milestone.

• Love 4

There's screenshots of the lesbian sister on the show. The caption is in the Brady Bunch typeface, so it's from the early years, before the miracle Saint Joe-Z was born.

I need to find out more about this. A lesbian sister who does not believe in gay marriage who has Michelle f'ing Duggar as a sibling. As a ladyfan myself, I find this mystifying.Dimes to dollars she told the Duggars "I totally don't believe in gay marriage! That's an abomination!" so that they'd quit giving her tracts.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 8

Smuggar CLAIMED that Evelyn didn't believe in SSM, but remember, that was his first call on his first fill in gig at the FRC. The best part? The caller is a gay friend of mine. He brags about this run-in to this day.

FWIW, Evelyn has a long term partner, but her marital status is unknown. Didn't Ohio repeal SSM at some point? If so, do they recognize any marriages performed when it was legal?

Anyone?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Smuggar CLAIMED that Evelyn didn't believe in SSM, but remember, that was his first call on his first fill in gig at the FRC. The best part? The caller is a gay friend of mine. He brags about this run-in to this day.

FWIW, Evelyn has a long term partner, but her marital status is unknown. Didn't Ohio repeal SSM at some point? If so, do they recognize any marriages performed when it was legal?

Anyone?

Don't they have to now that it is legal nationwide?

• Love 2

I would hope so, but Ohio is so fucked up that people might have had to remarry.

At any rate, I never heard that Evelyn married, but I wouldn't really expect to, especially given her bigoted sister who would make her into some hellfire example.

• Love 3

Anyone?

Yes, I remember this phonecall. Tell Mike I said hello.

• Love 2

I need to find out more about this. A lesbian sister who does not believe in gay marriage who has Michelle f'ing Duggar as a sibling. As a ladyfan myself, I find this mystifying.Dimes to dollars she told the Duggars "I totally don't believe in gay marriage! That's an abomination!" so that they'd quit giving her tracts.

I just love your posts! That's all :)
  • Love 4

I would hope so, but Ohio is so fucked up that people might have had to remarry.

At any rate, I never heard that Evelyn married, but I wouldn't really expect to, especially given her bigoted sister who would make her into some hellfire example.

I always think of Michelle's conception as an after-thought or accident. More accident really given that her family seemed to indulge her rather than expend the energy to "train" and didn't seem to mind leaving their 17 year-old baby behind when they moved to another state. Also, given the frequency with which Mechelle's family has been mentioned or featured on the show, I get the sense her much older siblings kind of left her behind as well. 

Not that I have any evidence at all to support it, but maybe Evelyn just wants to have as little to do with her yappy, sanctimonious, little gnat of a sister as possible and will say whatever to keep the Duggars out of her business, especially publicly. 

• Love 5

You know he has scads of those stupid million dollar tracts that he uses. That said, I doubt that he looks at his female servers, and it certainly isn't out of guilt, knowing that she will later get stiffed.

• Love 1

mNXRn8I.jpg

Is that a real picture? Where and when did this happen? There are KNEES in that picture!

You know, I always wonder about this. What do they think will happen if the boys fail to avert their eyes from some shorts-wearing bimbo walking down the street? That they might accidentally run over and gang-rape her? I just cannot figure this out.

• Love 8

Is that a real picture? Where and when did this happen? There are KNEES in that picture!

You know, I always wonder about this. What do they think will happen if the boys fail to avert their eyes from some shorts-wearing bimbo walking down the street? That they might accidentally run over and gang-rape her? I just cannot figure this out.

Saw this a while back and noted that JD seems to be leaning in close up a personal to the girl.

• Love 2

Jesus said that anyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So no, they're not afraid that the men/boys will be unable to control their actions, they're afraid that they'll have lustful thoughts which makes them just as bad as Joshley Madison. The girls are responsible then for preventing the bad thoughts.

Even my conservative evangelical self thinks Jesus was warning the men not to objectify women, and if my husband accidentally gawks a bit when some gorgeous woman is on TV, I don't equate it with cheating on me!

• Love 8

https://m.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/photos/pb.510067475793573.-2207520000.1449412319./742123029254682/?type=3&source=54&refid=17

I posted this picture to Duggar's and Their World because of a great comment on how none of the adult Duggars work!

Maxine Allen

I still don't understand why these young women don't work outside the home. Make up, hair products, etc. cannot be purchased at GW or a consignment store. I did watch this show at one time and then it just dawned on me that none of these young adults work. Plus there is not a lot of emphasis on education or about completion of their studies for high school graduation and applying to college to further their education. I find this puzzling. There has been a lady on this feed that has made some comments and I happened to notice her last name is Seewald. Any relation to Jessa? I am not trying to start an argument. I am just wondering if anyone else finds this strange. As I have said, I did watch this show at one time. All of my friends got some type of part time job when we were in high school and it was kind of expected by our hard working parents. Gas for the car, car insurance and a little pocket money for us to have to buy things we wanted. These young girls are too old for an allowance. Maybe it bothers me more than I thought it did. The fact these young adults do not work.

• Love 13

It's odd, because there are women in Gothardland who DO work. Erin Bates teaches piano, Chad Paine's sister in law works at a hospital, and Brandon Keilen's pants wearing sister lives independently and works in DC. Prior to getting married and moving to Chicago, Michael Bates worked as a nanny. These are families who are drowning in the Kool-Aid, so what's the Duggars' excuse?

• Love 7

It's odd, because there are women in Gothardland who DO work. Erin Bates teaches piano, Chad Paine's sister in law works at a hospital, and Brandon Keilen's pants wearing sister lives independently and works in DC. Prior to getting married and moving to Chicago, Michael Bates worked as a nanny. These are families who are drowning in the Kool-Aid, so what's the Duggars' excuse?

Well, I guess it just proves that Jim Bob and MIchelle are godlier than anybody. ....

Also dumber, lazier and bigger control freaks.

• Love 8

I imagine that fundies consider certain things like piano teacher and nanny to be pink collar, along with barely legal midwifery. To them, male pianists like male penis.

A fully qualified male nurse midwife won a sex discrimination case in Western Australia. The employer who discriminated was either a state government regional health authority, or a local government, which performs roles delegated by the state government. Attitudes are that pervasive.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

Here, home schooling is actually illegal and rightly so. You must attend school. If you are allowed to teach your children at home, then surely common sense would dictate that they are very closely monitored? I think this has great potential for kids outside the norm, and  "normal" school is not for everyone, of course. Having said that, children need to be taught to fit in and adjust and deal with stuff and they can't do that if they don't interact with their peers.

How does the US deal with different abilities? You've only the one system, are the differences in the courses, eg, do you have an English course on offer for advanced, normal and challenged students?

We have 3 different streams here in Germany, plus schools for mentally disabled kids. They are streamed into it at around age 11 or so, pending on the individual county.

• Love 4

Here, home schooling is actually illegal and rightly so. You must attend school. If you are allowed to teach your children at home, then surely common sense would dictate that they are very closely monitored? I think this has great potential for kids outside the norm, and  "normal" school is not for everyone, of course. Having said that, children need to be taught to fit in and adjust and deal with stuff and they can't do that if they don't interact with their peers.

How does the US deal with different abilities? You've only the one system, are the differences in the courses, eg, do you have an English course on offer for advanced, normal and challenged students?

We have 3 different streams here in Germany, plus schools for mentally disabled kids. They are streamed into it at around age 11 or so, pending on the individual county.

Homeschooling is largely unregulated and each state has different guidelines.

The school system itself has vast differences too. You could have on system that barely meets the needs of special-ed, and the next town over has great programs for the special-ed population. In my area we have magnet schools, charter schools, trade schools, and the basic schools. Magnet schools are specialty schools offering a focus, such as the arts or math & sciences. Charter schools are run by private monies. Schools are run by city, state and federal tax dollars which allow some schools in more affluent areas to offer better programs.  The government recently got involved and required all states to test kids with a core test. Many parents have argued that this has taken away the autonomy of schools and teachers as well as negatively interfered with learning.

Some of the Duggar children would have enjoyed the magnet & trade schools.

• Love 3

School quality obviously varies from school to school, and from county to county. There are private schools, too, some credited, some not. But all in all, we are very regulated here, and school attendance is mandatory, unless there is a VERY pressing need which is not often granted.

But you don't differentiate for abilities, do you? We have 3 different school types, one for the ones less suited to scholarly learning, the middle of the road ones and the ones who will go on to University. Plus, to be in a job, unless you have a Uni degree, you must do a traineeship, which again is highly regulated......we like our bureaucracy, we do :-P

• Love 4