Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I've said many times to people "when did the Christians take over the republican party?" and I always get a blank look. Its like no one has even noticed. Wake up people.

Since the answer is 1980, they probably don't remember.

• Love 13

Gurl, first off I live in the Windy City (Chicago) hairspray is always in my house. I also coupon so I got said hairspray (Vidal Sasson) for free!! Jill and Boob ain't got nothing on me! 

I'm thinking the same thing. I say they are going to turn the TTH into some kind of boarding house under the guise of it being church related of course so Boob can get a tax writeoff of some sort.

Ugh, TLC, please stay as far away from this as possible.  It was dead-boring with the Roloffs, it'll be even worse with these two hucksters.

Since the answer is 1980, they probably don't remember.

Just as Barry Goldwater predicted in 1964.

• Love 5

Lol, maybe Michelle can't bear to be around her kids anymore. She can skype her commands to Jana while she enjoys her nice love nest with Jim Bob. Joy can swing by three times a week to clean it.

Jim Boob will be there. She might have to come by four or five times.

• Love 1

If the house is a bribe for Anna to stay in the cult, then JimBoob better have a boat load of money.  He is teaching the other kids if you want a big house with a pool, be sure to do something really bad.  Then I will keep your marriage together with a bribe.

Don't take the bribe Anna - all of the howlers will be over there day and night swimming/bathing.  In their jeans, of course.

• Love 4

I'm confused are the other two houses sold or just simply put into a trust situation?

I'm confused, too. But based on my really really vague recollection and understanding of what I've seen around here, I think that the Jill/Derick McMansion appears to be sold and the Josh/Anna didn't-quite-get-rehabbed (sort of like its owner) house is in some kind of new ownership trust. .... Does that sound like your understanding?

Edited by Churchhoney

I'm guessing Boob is going to hold on to Jill's McMansion because he got it for a steal and the property taxes are minimal (compared to other areas of the country, at least). If Jinger or Jana (yeah, right) ever gets married, Boob can use the house as bait to woo the new in-law to the dark side.

Anna's house is the equivalent of Fundie hush money. Josh would be up a creek if she ever divorced him.

• Love 2

I'm guessing Boob is going to hold on to Jill's McMansion because he got it for a steal and the property taxes are minimal (compared to other areas of the country, at least). If Jinger or Jana (yeah, right) ever gets married, Boob can use the house as bait to woo the new in-law to the dark side.

Anna's house is the equivalent of Fundie hush money. Josh would be up a creek if she ever divorced him.

ITA Jill's house was a deal. I would keep it if I could too. Perhaps they have hopes that Joe will get married and he'll need a place to live.

As for the new near the dump house, I have to say it's really a good buy to me. Hell the next town over houses are going for $1 mill that big. Across the street from me there is a house  that  is a fourth of the size. Originally a small ranch house, the roof was chopped off and a second floor was added. The developer wants a whopping $549,000 for it! He's NUTS!!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

If we are going strictly from online property records (disregarding Zillow and other sources), Josh and Anna "sold" their house on 8/24 to ALB Investments, Inc. However, there remains some question about whether they could still own the home, because ALB Investments, Inc. was incorporated by a Duggar family friend who could've incorporated it on their behalf in a feeble attempt to conceal their address from online creepers like ourselves. Or maybe they just sold their house to a family friend. It's impossible to know. 

Jill's house is still listed as belonging to the Duggar trust. I have no idea why people think that her house sold, except that a surrounding plot of land was also for sale recently. Perhaps it sold and people are just confused.

Thanks. .... Yep, it was the land that I was misremembering.  ... Also -- what the heck do they need with all these houses? I was thinking that they had to have sold something!

But I guess JIm Bob's gone from a house flipper to just, um, a perpetual landlord for all his children? ....

• Love 1

I disagree in the sense that JB sinks money into properties (the new pool house and their own house, both across the street from the city dump) that will be very difficult for his children to resell in the future. In light of the fact that, most likely, the children do not have trust funds from the television show, JB is a real jerk for spending their money in such a way that they will likely never be able to recoup the full amount by selling those houses once he's gone.

The location sucks but the actual house is well worth the price he paid in comparision to the houses in my area. ITA that that house will be a hard sell but Boob mighrt have gotten it for one of his kids so resale isn't a big issue to him. Edited by Fuzzysox

I think it comes down to the fact that Boob thinks that he is a financial genius for having raised 19 (pause for appropriate praise!) kids to adulthood without having to rely on the dreaded handouts and without losing any to malnutrition (the fact that none of them are equipped to live in the real world is besides the point). He doesn't seem to realise that if TLC hadn't bought the cash, they would be living either in a tiny house with too many kids or would be living in a warehouse that potentially wouldn't even have walls.  

Given that he wasted $250,000 on a pointless campaign, it is somewhat of a given that he really isn't the money guru that he thinks he is.  

• Love 7

I'm confused, too. But based on my really really vague recollection and understanding of what I've seen around here, I think that the Jill/Derick McMansion appears to be sold and the Josh/Anna didn't-quite-get-rehabbed (sort of like its owner) house is in some kind of new ownership trust. .... Does that sound like your understanding?

I wonder if they are protecting the Josh house against future lawsuits.

• Love 1

I wonder if they are protecting the Josh house against future lawsuits.

Yeah, I was wondering that, too. Or whether the trust situation might affect the house's disposition in  divorce? ... You'd think there would be some reason behind changing the ownership status.... But since I know nothing about these various ways to own property ....

IANAL, but I know that every state has their own laws regarding civil lawsuits and divorce. They are two separate issues here when "looking back" at assets to resolve a dispute in court. IF Anna were to file for divorce, they have been married less than 10 years, which would make a difference, here in Florida, but Arkansas statutes would apply to the length of the marriage, if this house were ever in Anna's name at all, and her attorney would have a look back at the ownership chain of title and the dates as they apply to the events of Josh's revelations...then there is the civil lawsuit we have heard is maybe coming down the line from the family friend/babysitter..assets and net worth would be determined differently I believe. Sooooo, I'm sure Jim Bob has thought to consult his lawyer and is acting on HIS advice, as Jim Bob, is NOT a lawyer, nor does he know everything. He does, however, seem to have excellent counsel on whatever he does. This guy protects himself very well....make of it what you will.

• Love 2

If they started sheltering assets in response to the filing of a lawsuit, or even in anticipation of a possible divorce, that might be fraud and the assets made available to a victorious plaintiff despite the transfers. Assuming Jim Bob has a lawyer (and he may not -- remember, he's spent time with lawyers in the past, which in Duggarland makes him just as qualified to practice law as they are) that person presumably has the relevant knowledge and must think it's at least possible that whatever they're doing will work. In the event of divorce, as of now Anna's only option is to file in Arkansas, and Arkansas law will apply. Whether she ever had her name on the title may not be the deciding issue. Even if she never had legal title, she may have an equitable claim on it. On the other hand, Jim Bob may have a judge in his pocket, in which case all bets are off.

I'm a retired lawyer, but not in Arkansas, and I didn't do real estate or divorce. So I can only speak in generalities.

• Love 7

I'm of the opinion that all the divorce talk is moot.  There's a 8-1 chance, at best, that Anna will leave Josh (and that's up from the 15-1 I'd normally say based entirely on her siblings).  So much of this has turned into tabloid fodder, for Anna, for the Duggars, for Anna's siblings (don't tell me they aren't reveling in the attention and the chance to play out some of their daddy issues in the tabloids), for Cousin Famy that it's starting to come off as all sizzle and no steak, so to speak.

• Love 4

If they started sheltering assets in response to the filing of a lawsuit, or even in anticipation of a possible divorce, that might be fraud and the assets made available to a victorious plaintiff despite the transfers. Assuming Jim Bob has a lawyer (and he may not -- remember, he's spent time with lawyers in the past, which in Duggarland makes him just as qualified to practice law as they are) that person presumably has the relevant knowledge and must think it's at least possible that whatever they're doing will work. In the event of divorce, as of now Anna's only option is to file in Arkansas, and Arkansas law will apply. Whether she ever had her name on the title may not be the deciding issue. Even if she never had legal title, she may have an equitable claim on it. On the other hand, Jim Bob may have a judge in his pocket, in which case all bets are off.

I'm a retired lawyer, but not in Arkansas, and I didn't do real estate or divorce. So I can only speak in generalities.

Boob's lawyer is Travis Story. Boob is hiding his assets under Story's name/trust. Pickles has the story.

Boob's lawyer is Travis Story. Boob is hiding his assets under Story's name/trust. Pickles has the story.

Just to illustrate how small the Duggar circle is, Travis Story is the older brother of Julie, Famy's Maid of Honor (and Duggar home attendee for Famy's Duggar birthday fete). 

And yes, Julia, the guy who set up the Dullard non-profit is Fuckabee's campaign manager, IIRC. He has a law practice in central Arkansas, sadly, I can't remember his name, but I did some digging into the guy at the time. He's your garden variety Arkansas teabagger, nothing spectacular on his resume at all. 

• Love 3

Just to illustrate how small the Duggar circle is, Travis Story is the older brother of Julie, Famy's Maid of Honor (and Duggar home attendee for Famy's Duggar birthday fete). 

And yes, Julia, the guy who set up the Dullard non-profit is Fuckabee's campaign manager, IIRC. He has a law practice in central Arkansas, sadly, I can't remember his name, but I did some digging into the guy at the time. He's your garden variety Arkansas teabagger, nothing spectacular on his resume at all. 

Chad Gallagher. He's a Huckabee political advisor (for ages) and runs (or at least ran) Huckabee's PAC. (and in the latter job he demonstrated that he knows a lot about skimming off for your family members funding that others may -- or may not -- have intended for different purposes) So -- perfect for the Dullards' godly aims.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Do you think JimBoob realizes that trying to hide assets because he thinks there'll be law suits and/or a divorce is a big legal no-no?? I hope he doesn't, because I would laugh and laugh if that came back to bite him in his pompous ass. 

• Love 11

This is how I feel right now after learning about Travis Story, Chad Gallagher, this trust, that trust, houses being bought, houses being sold....

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 5

Do you think JimBoob realizes that trying to hide assets because he thinks there'll be law suits and/or a divorce is a big legal no-no?? I hope he doesn't, because I would laugh and laugh if that came back to bite him in his pompous ass. 

No.  This is a very common corporate structure for commercial real estate owners both to protect their interest and their partners' interests as well as to get favorable tax status.  If they were trying to hide assets, this is a very poor way to do it.  

• Love 2

No.  This is a very common corporate structure for commercial real estate owners both to protect their interest and their partners' interests as well as to get favorable tax status.  If they were trying to hide assets, this is a very poor way to do it.

Right, they're not hiding them, but they may be trying to make them unavailable to be paid as damages in a lawsuit against them personally. That's not hiding, it's sheltering. The point of an LLC is generally to make your personal assets unavailable to anyone suing the business; this would be the other way around, I guess. I think that's pretty much what PITYFREE was asking about. And yes, moving to shelter assets in response to a lawsuit may be fraudulent, but like so much else in the law, it depends on a lot of specifics.

(I had a law school professor who used to say, "The answer to 'Can X do Y?' is almost always, 'It depends.' Unless X is the IRS, in which case the answer is probably yes.")

• Love 3

Right, they're not hiding them, but they may be trying to make them unavailable to be paid as damages in a lawsuit against them personally. That's not hiding, it's sheltering. The point of an LLC is generally to make your personal assets unavailable to anyone suing the business; this would be the other way around, I guess. I think that's pretty much what PITYFREE was asking about. And yes, moving to shelter assets in response to a lawsuit may be fraudulent, but like so much else in the law, it depends on a lot of specifics.

(I had a law school professor who used to say, "The answer to 'Can X do Y?' is almost always, 'It depends.' Unless X is the IRS, in which case the answer is probably yes.")

Exactly.  From the banking law perspective, this is pretty much legal and makes sense.  Separating one's personal assets from those of your partners and the corporation is common and for the most part legal.  It's not hiding assets.  Hiding assets is something entirely, and I say this as a former L&C employee of a Swiss bank that is notorious for it's anonymous pass-key accounts.  Hiding assets usually includes fraudulent accounts in the names of children and spouses, wire transfers to off-shore accounts (and there are fewer and fewer places that will allow you to do this) and establishing cash businesses to "wash" money among other less-than-kosher practices.  It's incredibly difficult to do domestically as the IRS usually catches up with you.  You really need to get something set up outside the US to get the money beyond their reach.  And to be quite frank with you, I don't see anyone in that family having the mental horsepower or wherewithal to pull off something like that.   

• Love 6

You really need to get something set up outside the US to get the money beyond their reach.  And to be quite frank with you, I don't see anyone in that family having the mental horsepower or wherewithal to pull off something like that.

Yeah, I can't quite envision Jim Bob Duggar juggling accounts in the Caymans, or whatever off-shore location is currently popular. On the other hand, people can surprise you. :-)

Yeah, I can't quite envision Jim Bob Duggar juggling accounts in the Caymans, or whatever off-shore location is currently popular. On the other hand, people can surprise you. :-)

This is true.  For one thing, he has traveled outside of the US.  It's entirely possible that he's set up accounts in several South/Central American countries.  They have access to private planes.  And they do have that towing business ...

Holy hell.  It is possible.  JB has the makings of smuggler and money launderer. 

• Love 9

Ha! I'm not an attorney (or an accountant) but for a professional designation I had to study tax law. My friend who was studying it with me was having all sorts of issues, and I finally clued her in to how I figured things out: When does the IRS get paid for this?

I passed my tax law section easily with that...once I figured out when/how the IRS got their money, everything else was easier to remember. (It also made it that much easier to do my personal taxes!)

• Love 5

Today I saw a clip online about the McGaughey (sp?) septuplets turning 18.

I couldn't help but compare them to the Duggars.

They are 7 bright, personable kids talking about college, futures, etc.  Their dad explained how they took them out of the limelight after all the excitement that surrounded their birth.  After the first few years, they said "Enough" and raised their kids without cameras constantly on them.  The result is these wonderful young adults who interviewed beautifully.  They are sweet and intelligent and a credit to their parents.

Not once did I hear precious, totally, surreal, neat.  They actually spoke like young adults.  And didn't give off that "better than you" vibe that the Duggars always do.  Made me sad for the Duggar kids.

ETA:  They didn't seem to have the sense of entitlement that the Duggars do, either.  You can have a large family without being a bunch of grifters.

Edited by SmallTownMom
  • Love 6

So they're keeping livestock which are feeding within the watertable shared by a municipal dump? Hard to see how that could go wrong.

Seriously. The things that can go wrong with cows (and the milk, if you're doing the milk) are legion. So many health things to keep an eye on and preventive things to do. Running a dairy or beef farm is not for the casual hobbyist. I wonder how long they watched a farmer before they decided to do this? 25 minutes?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

This is true.  For one thing, he has traveled outside of the US.  It's entirely possible that he's set up accounts in several South/Central American countries.  They have access to private planes.  And they do have that towing business ...

Holy hell.  It is possible.  JB has the makings of smuggler and money launderer. 

I wonder if there is cash in Izzy's diaper when they fly down to CA. I wonder if that is the true mission. I think too much about these people.

• Love 2

They put hay around for fall decoration. I do see any actually cows so I'll call BS on that. I can see Jim Bob panicking and not knowing what to do with cows.

Plus ... you can't just leave cows. Somebody very knowledgeable, extremely responsible and willing to do hard work has to be there for most of every single day to keep things going. .... And that leaves out the vast majority of the Duggars. Jana and JD are probably responsible enough to do it, but first they would have to learn all about it -- and they don't have time because they're already doing everything else.

• Love 1