Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

My pleasure, lol.  Maybe the problem is the theology's so new with such little generational turnover, you can't point out that the families are very unlikely in this day and age to be able to marry off all of the lagging distaff side - pure statistics would tell us this.  Simply because after a point, I guess Jimbo thinks he can just next door to forcibly get any guy to take them off his hands.  But if you're going to give them some agency in picking/choosing/refusing, you could very well wind up with an unmarried female 30-year-old and beyond. I guess in the intervening 10 or so unmarried years, she's supposed to be impressing the handful or so of outsiders who somehow get to clap eyes on her, "oh that brave girl, look at her servant heart, Cinderella-ing after her brothers and sisters and never complains."  Instead of them feeling pitiable, condoling, and making plans to help her escape.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 6

I've never understood this version of "Christian theology" either (got me a set of hyperfundie cousins), because as others have sagely said, what's the point of training up "strong Christian witnesses" who are never allowed to go out amongst the unsaved to have their faith tested?  Or get jobs ditto?  "Jobs" has always seemed like the bare freakin' minimum of "interacting as salt and light for the world", even if nothing else (infantilizing, etc.) it's inefficient.  Minimum half the potential "workforce" can't be trusted to do anything more than loll around washing dishes and holding down couches?  A batch of hermits hiding in their rooms aren't going to do squat to show people "how Christians are different" than the great unsaved.

Doesn't walking around the pagan, heathen, unwashed "overseas" while saying "Me-o name-o es JimBob-o !" and handing out Lite-Brite KJV bibles in English qualify as theology ? 

Ummm... no ???

Queenanne - YOU are my post of the day. Internet = won. 

• Love 5

I remain curious about who awarded Jessa the diploma. I think I know why they got her some kind of diploma. 

It's entirely possible that Jessa has a diploma from an online distance learning school as opposed to being homeschooled.  I know several parents who went that route instead of straight-up homeschooling as they were out of their depth with some subjects.

• Love 1

It's entirely possible that Jessa has a diploma from an online distance learning school as opposed to being homeschooled.  I know several parents who went that route instead of straight-up homeschooling as they were out of their depth with some subjects.

I think we can safely assume that Mechelle was out of her depth, yes. Whether she understood that or not is another question.

• Love 9

It's entirely possible that Jessa has a diploma from an online distance learning school as opposed to being homeschooled. I know several parents who went that route instead of straight-up homeschooling as they were out of their depth with some subjects.

An online school even christian ones have certain graduation requirements. Even christian scjool is too ungodly

• Love 1

I think we can safely assume that Mechelle was out of her depth, yes. Whether she understood that or not is another question.

I'm sure she would have totally educated her children if she didn't have a full-time job expressing breast milk for other people to feed the little ones.

• Love 6

While we can all agree that Duggar diet is known to be pretty awful, I was under the impression that the older girls still cooked these gross dishes. However, as I have re-watched some old episodes that showcase Jana in the kitchen, it is apparent that even these unhealthy meals aren't really prepared by them. In one episode, Jana dumps out some bagged salad and serves what appears to be nuked frozen lasagna. She even rolls her eyes and shakes her head 'no' when asked if she made it. 

As someone who hates to cook but can easily make lasagna from scratch, I am confused about what actual skills the older girls have to prepare them for life. I always thought, at the very least, they had domestic skills. However, I'm not sure about that anymore. Opening bags and cans, and microwaving frozen meals is not cooking.

If you are raising your daughters to be housewives, why not prepare them with domestic skills? 

I would bet that Michelle, being the pampered baby of the family, was never taught to cook, and never had any inclination to learn on her own, and thus has no kitchen skills to pass on to the girls. Lucky for her JB is happy with the crap they eat, instead of demanding actual home-cooked meals using fresh ingredients.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 2

While we can all agree that Duggar diet is known to be pretty awful, I was under the impression that the older girls still cooked these gross dishes. However, as I have re-watched some old episodes that showcase Jana in the kitchen, it is apparent that even these unhealthy meals aren't really prepared by them. In one episode, Jana dumps out some bagged salad and serves what appears to be nuked frozen lasagna. She even rolls her eyes and shakes her head 'no' when asked if she made it. 

As someone who hates to cook but can easily make lasagna from scratch, I am confused about what actual skills the older girls have to prepare them for life. I always thought, at the very least, they had domestic skills. However, I'm not sure about that anymore. Opening bags and cans, and microwaving frozen meals is not cooking.

If you are raising your daughters to be housewives, why not prepare them with domestic skills? 

I think that you're missing the point. The entire point is that they have NINETEEN CHILDREN. Who could possibly cook for NINETEEN CHILDREN! How could anyone possibly clothe NINETEEN CHILDREN! If they cooked actual meals that would suggest that this feat was somehow actually possible. Of course, they have to eat frozen and pre-packaged foods. The fact that none of them work, and they have at least 6 people over the age of sixteen floating around the house with nothing to do is irrelevant.

They don't prepare their daughters for their mandatory "profession" any more than they prepare their sons. They don't cook, they have minimal cleaning skills, they don't appear to know basic child care tasks like first-aid, they have no experience with gardening, and, other than Jana, they don't sew or knit. They have none of the skills that a hoousewife of the 20th century, and they certainly have none of the skills of the 19th century housewife that they are supposed to be emulating.

• Love 16

I think that you're missing the point. The entire point is that they have NINETEEN CHILDREN. Who could possibly cook for NINETEEN CHILDREN! How could anyone possibly clothe NINETEEN CHILDREN! If they cooked actual meals that would suggest that this feat was somehow actually possible. Of course, they have to eat frozen and pre-packaged foods. The fact that none of them work, and they have at least 6 people over the age of sixteen floating around the house with nothing to do is irrelevant.

They don't prepare their daughters for their mandatory "profession" any more than they prepare their sons. They don't cook, they have minimal cleaning skills, they don't appear to know basic child care tasks like first-aid, they have no experience with gardening, and, other than Jana, they don't sew or knit. They have none of the skills that a hoousewife of the 20th century, and they certainly have none of the skills of the 19th century housewife that they are supposed to be emulating.

I think the fact that they have six people over the age of sixteen just floating around the house with nothing to do is extremely relevant. It highlights that it is not an issue of being forced to resort to frozen foods because there is not enough time or hands to prepare food for nineteen children. Rather, it is an issue of they do not place any value on properly preparing their children to be successful in ANY future role, not even fixing the most mediocre of meals for their future family. 

Also, I think the boys do receive some special treatment in this area. It really irks me that JB pays for John David and Joseph to take professional flying lessons. Where are Jinger's photography lessons?

Also, I think the boys do receive some special treatment in this area. It really irks me that JB pays for John David and Joseph to take professional flying lessons. Where are Jinger's photography lessons?

She'll get them when she grows a Penis.

• Love 7

I also think the Duggars' diet is not really the Duggars' diet, just what a po'mouthing rich boy would eat on TV so everyone would think he's gosh-darn frugal.

Their recipe page seems to be down, but the Daily Mail had some recipes here from an interview with Michelle.

I purposed to price all the ingredients for both of her "recipes" from my local grocery delivery service - which is kinda spendy, and doesn't sell generics or big box sizes - and threw in two and a half dozen eggs and another two loaves of bread for breakfast, a few gallons each of OJ, milk and soda, and an extra bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Not at all what I'd be serving if I were trying to save money on food, but it seemed Duggary.

It came to ~$70. That's $3.50 a person with most of a bag of onions, three sticks of butter, half an economy sized jar of red sauce and almost all of a twenty pound bag of rice left over, so call it more like $55 / $2.75. If I waited for a sale and went to Sam's Club, I could easily shave a half off of that. Even if they each get a pound of chicken quarters as an appetizer, they're still way, way under the $5/day they say they're spending.

And that's not counting kids eat free days, their road trip per diem, the Craft table TLC no doubt set up, and the fact that the girls don't get to eat.

I call shenanigans. I'm sure Jim Bob is cheap as dirt, but I doubt he deprives himself of much of anything.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

C'mon. Is everybody forgetting the most important of the Ten Commandments -- "Thou shalt learn no useful skills"?

Most disgustingly, one of the family selling points, uttered over and over again on the show by Joy and others, is that their Daddy is so speshul super-dupe-dupe-dupe wonderful at raising them because he's careful to make sure that they all learn many many skills, more so than any other children.

• Love 4

I posted this in the Media thread per a conversation there, But thought it is a more fitting post for this thread because it is about finances.

Their largest seasons were 3 - 6, with season 4 having the most episodes at 38. Seasons 7 - 10 averaged 20 episodes per season. Like Sew Sumi said if they had a pay increase it was on a lessor amount of episodes. According to poverty guidelines for 2015 the Duggars would have to make over $80,000 per year to be above the poverty threshold. So for a 10 year period, if the Duggars made 1 million dollars, that would put them in working class or lower middle class.

From my perspective, even considering many of their perks, they have spent a large amount of their income during their years on TV. Like I said earlier, IMHO, even if they invested 2 million, it won't last long with a family of their size.

And to add to the above posts, they best learn to prepare meals on the cheap and develop marketable skills.

• Love 4

Season 4, from January to November 2010, had 38 episodes, only 1 of those is listed as a 1 hour episode, so 19.5 hours of content. They also made an effort to leave their house and go on field trips in those days. The last three seasons, from April 2014 to May 2015, combined had like 80 hours in total.

From People magazine:

"A source close to the series confirms they could lose an estimated $25,000 to $45,000 per episode, but that amount doesn't include any of other sources of income related to their 19 Kids and Counting fame. There were 22 episodes in season 9 of the show, which wrapped up May 19 and there have been 227 episodes total."

Using these facts & figures, the Duggs have made somewhere between $6 million & $10 million. They could have easily spent $2 million alone in standard living expenses during that time. That would not include added expenses like additional vehicles (including RV & bus), plane costs, unsponsored trips (like yearly ATI visits), multiple Journey to the Heart & Alert visits, multiple property taxes, etc.

I would hazard a guess that the budget for the weddings was the pay they were getting from TLC, so I would think no money was made there.

Maybe the Duggars are flush or maybe they're not, but the still have a household of 19 (including Grandma) at the TTH and no real income at this point. They need an income of $100,000 a year to cover basic needs. And much more to continue the expenses of owning multiple vehicles, a plane, and multiple properties.

Time will tell.

• Love 5

The weddings were 2 hour episodes, so assuming they earned $45,000 per hour (or 44 minutes) of show, they would've made money on those too, because they clearly didn't spend the extra $45,000 from the extra hour on those weddings.

The weddings were 2 hour episodes, so assuming they earned $45,000 per hour (or 44 minutes) of show, they would've made money on those too, because they clearly didn't spend the extra $45,000 from the extra hour on those weddings.

I believe they said they spent around $25,000 per wedding.

In fact, isn't that pretty basic for any kids, future housewives of America or not? We made sure our daughters can cook, clean, and handle basic sewing repairs, and a long list of other skills necessary for, you know, life. Doesn't everyone?

Then we sent them to college. :-)

• Love 11

I posted this in the Media thread per a conversation there, But thought it is a more fitting post for this thread because it is about finances.

Their largest seasons were 3 - 6, with season 4 having the most episodes at 38. Seasons 7 - 10 averaged 20 episodes per season. Like Sew Sumi said if they had a pay increase it was on a lessor amount of episodes. According to poverty guidelines for 2015 the Duggars would have to make over $80,000 per year to be above the poverty threshold. So for a 10 year period, if the Duggars made 1 million dollars, that would put them in working class or lower middle class.

From my perspective, even considering many of their perks, they have spent a large amount of their income during their years on TV. Like I said earlier, IMHO, even if they invested 2 million, it won't last long with a family of their size.

And to add to the above posts, they best learn to prepare meals on the cheap and develop marketable skills.

I think analysis like this show how financially stupid most of the reality tv people are. It seem like a lifetime windfall, and it could be if they were very careful and invested wisely, but the reality (no pun) is that these tv families should be preparing for no show from the minute the first show airs. Just look at the Sister Wives idiots. They have a huge brood as well and 4 expensive houses. No one has a job and their credit is crap. Meanwhile they don't make near what the Duggars ever did. I am so sad for the youngest of these tons of kids reality families. There will be nothing for them.

In fact, isn't that pretty basic for any kids, future housewives of America or not? We made sure our daughters can cook, clean, and handle basic sewing repairs, and a long list of other skills necessary for, you know, life. Doesn't everyone?

You'd be horrified to find out how many "normal" kids can't do these basic things. When my daughter left for college a couple years ago she called us to tell us she had to teach a bunch of girls on her floor how to do laundry. Many had never done it before. My kids have been doing laundry since they were 11 or so. 

• Love 7

You'd be horrified to find out how many "normal" kids can't do these basic things. When my daughter left for college a couple years ago she called us to tell us she had to teach a bunch of girls on her floor how to do laundry. Many had never done it before. My kids have been doing laundry since they were 11 or so.

Taking reply to Small Talk thread.

I would bet that Michelle, being the pampered baby of the family, was never taught to cook, and never had any inclination to learn on her own, and thus has no kitchen skills to pass on to the girls. Lucky for her JB is happy with the crap they eat, instead of demanding actual home-cooked meals using fresh ingredients.

Absolutely. From both what we know and what we can reasonably piece together, it seems abundantly clear that Me-chelle's parents had checked out as parents by the time she made her appearance. I doubt she even made her own bed as a kid or teen - or got any instructions regarding domestic skills. This must be a factor in why Me-chelle herself has never seemed to be interested in her own children. For all her TV blather, she has never seemed genuinely interested in her kids. To me, at least. It's all surface stuff, but nothing sincere.

• Love 5

And the boys, too! 

• Love 7

Early seasons of reality shows definitely do not pay $25k per episode.  That is the rate for a successful veteran show.  That usually means well above 2 M viewers.  The Gosselins didn't hit that pay level until they had 4 M viewers or more per episode. 

• Love 5

The thing is, it doesn't take that much to make a decent, edible meal.  Buy a few crockpots, meat, and vegetables, and with the packets you can get at the grocery store, you can make all kinds of things very easily (I doctor mine up, but seriously, those packets are fine, and I use lots of them, even the ones that are supposedly for grilling or baking--the crockpot is very forgiving).  I had a party for 30 people and made chicken and beef taco meat in my crocks, and then just had to do some side dishes and desserts, and it was ridiculously easy.  

My (long-winded) point is, I could feed that family very well (and healthily) on a fraction of what they purport to spend, and there would still be money left for chips and other snacks. 

• Love 12

Given that Boob tricked off 250k on a doomed Senate campaign, I'm not so sure he's the financial wizard he makes himself out to be. At this point, not only is JimBob supporting 19 kids, he's also supporting spouses and grandchildren as well. The freebies, product placement dollars and tv income has dried up and none of his children have a practical skill to warrant anything more than minimum wage. It's going to be interesting to see where they are ten years from now.

• Love 5

Given that Boob tricked off 250k on a doomed Senate campaign, I'm not so sure he's the financial wizard he makes himself out to be. At this point, not only is JimBob supporting 19 kids, he's also supporting spouses and grandchildren as well. The freebies, product placement dollars and tv income has dried up and none of his children have a practical skill to warrant anything more than minimum wage. It's going to be interesting to see where they are ten years from now.

Given that Josh and Anna had thousands of dollars of tax debt while JB worked through that stupid booklet with Derick, I am guessing that none of them are the financial wizards that they claimed to be... 

From People magazine:

"A source close to the series confirms they could lose an estimated $25,000 to $45,000 per episode, but that amount doesn't include any of other sources of income related to their 19 Kids and Counting fame. There were 22 episodes in season 9 of the show, which wrapped up May 19 and there have been 227 episodes total."

Using these facts & figures, the Duggs have made somewhere between $6 million & $10 million. They could have easily spent $2 million alone in standard living expenses during that time. That would not include added expenses like additional vehicles (including RV & bus), plane costs, unsponsored trips (like yearly ATI visits), multiple Journey to the Heart & Alert visits, multiple property taxes, etc.

I would hazard a guess that the budget for the weddings was the pay they were getting from TLC, so I would think no money was made there.

Maybe the Duggars are flush or maybe they're not, but the still have a household of 19 (including Grandma) at the TTH and no real income at this point. They need an income of $100,000 a year to cover basic needs. And much more to continue the expenses of owning multiple vehicles, a plane, and multiple properties.

Time will tell.

I'm very curious as to how well Grandma Duggar is fixed - because something tells me there's a really strong likelihood of Boob needing her $$ in his old age. Just like when he was a kid. Boob is close to becoming the middle-aged equivalent of a jobless Trekkie nerd who lives in his parents' basement. But he comes with a bonus - a wife, 19 kids, 3 in-laws and at current count, 5 and a half grandchildren.

• Love 5

Dare I ask how the home schooling is going?  With crisis after crisis, are the littles getting ANY kind of education?  I wonder if Anna is the new teacher for the whole group?  That would keep her busy (and watched over) and in the TTH a good part of the day.

• Love 4

Dare I ask how the home schooling is going?  With crisis after crisis, are the littles getting ANY kind of education?  I wonder if Anna is the new teacher for the whole group?  That would keep her busy (and watched over) and in the TTH a good part of the day.

I was just thinking about that.  Mackenzie is of compulsory attendance age in Arkansas. I can't remember how old the next one is but 5 years old is the compulsory age. I've always felt that Anna cares a lot more about homeschooling than the Duggars so I wonder if being with them will elevate the Duggar kids, maybe by turning it all over to Anna, or harm Mackenzie by monopolizing Anna's time and controlling her activities, leaving her without the time to school Mac properly. 

• Love 2

I'll bet that Anna is the new homefoolin' teacher.  After all, Jessa has moved on to start her own empire.  That gives Anna a way to support her family but of course keeps her beholden to Jim Bob.  I wonder if JB is going to give Anna an allowance.  How awful!

How many kids are left to teach?  Let's see, Josie, Jordyn, Johanna, Jackson, Justin.  Who am I leaving out?

All states are different but in my state you don't "request", you 'inform'. In other words I don't have to wait for a response from the state. Unless we've been homeschooling and I've failed to meet the requirements it's a simple notification form you email to the county. Of course I have a college degree which the state has a copy of on record. That greatly reduces my paperwork. But I don't think there is a lot that needs to happen.

• Love 2

James, of Flashcard infamy. Jason is 15, so I guess he's also being marginally educated, although that's the age when the boys start working for Boob full time. The age may even be 14; after all, they can get provisional licenses at that age.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

There's a Jason?

You know, I don't think I even have 19 FRIENDS. There just aren't enough days in the week. I know we all know this but honestly, how does anyone have a family of 21+ people and have any familiarity with them as individuals? I can hardly keep my cats' names straight at times. It just seems so insane to keep pumping out kids.

Not to mention having 14 kids in a two-bedroom house, or when living in a bus or whatnot. LOONS.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 16

There's a Jason?

You know, I don't think I even have 19 FRIENDS. There just aren't enough days in the week. I know we all know this but honestly, how does anyone have a family of 21+ people and have any familiarity with them as individuals? I can hardly keep my cats' names straight at times. It just seems so insane to keep pumping out kids.

Not to mention having 14 kids in a two-bedroom house, or when living in a bus or whatnot. LOONS.

This is what happens when 2 complete nut jobs find each other.

• Love 9
In my opinion, though, at least Boob and perhaps more of these guys really don't give a crap about anything lasting 200 years.

I think they do, but not due to any genuine theological convictions. IMO it goes hand in hand with their overall assholishness. Of course they want to spawn that sort of far-reaching, long-lasting dynasty, it feeds into their narcissism and bloated self-importance. It's purely masturbatory.

Jim Bob probably wants to become the upright Christian version of that evil heathen Genghis Khan.

• Love 3

It is fascinating to me that children can be left behind, because their parents right to teach overrides a right to a solid education. Why doesn't the Department of Education test students each year to make sure they are progressing? Eg. My friends 16 year old got credit for flying lessons and for taking a air land and sea first aid course. He also worked on the ski slopes as a rescue person. He also received credit for that. His brother had credit for the same things as well as sailing on a large sailboat. They had a lot of free time to pursue interests because of their flexible schedule. Also note, they had to provide physical activity element (they play hockey and soccer) BUT, she taught them basic subjects at home... English, Social Studies, 2 Sciences and Math. The subjects she is weak in herself, she had tutored. The boys have testing in the spring to make sure they are on target. For the last years of school, for the youngest, she has decided to put them in (an expensive) prep school. They sent in their documentation and went in for testing and interview and were accepted. That kind of homeschooling, I can get behind.

• Love 15

It is fascinating to me that children can be left behind, because their parents right to teach overrides a right to a solid education. Why doesn't the Department of Education test students each year to make sure they are progressing? Eg. My friends 16 year old got credit for flying lessons and for taking a air land and sea first aid course. He also worked on the ski slopes as a rescue person. He also received credit for that. His brother had credit for the same things as well as sailing on a large sailboat. They had a lot of free time to pursue interests because of their flexible schedule. Also note, they had to provide physical activity element (they play hockey and soccer) BUT, she taught them basic subjects at home... English, Social Studies, 2 Sciences and Math. The subjects she is weak in herself, she had tutored. The boys have testing in the spring to make sure they are on target. For the last years of school, for the youngest, she has decided to put them in (an expensive) prep school. They sent in their documentation and went in for testing and interview and were accepted. That kind of homeschooling, I can get behind.

From the I-Want-It-So-Badly-I-Can-Taste-It department, I'd give anything to have the Duggar children tested by qualified professionals, all 19 of them. IQ tests first, and then standardized achievement tests. After years of observation, I want to see how close I came to guessing who's the brightest, and who's been cheated the most because of the pitifully half-baked "homeschooling" they've been receiving. Obviously it would never happen, but I bet there would even be a few surprises in the data at the end.

• Love 15

The kind of homeschooling I can get behind is online homeschooling. It worked very well for me. I had to leave during the middle of my junior year of high school because of severe bullying issues and a death/school shooting threat that wasn't handled appropriately at all by the administration, but did so under the guise of my health. (I mean, I was missing a lot of school because of all of my health issues and hospitalizations.) The school was accredited, it sent a computer to our house that had Microsoft Office on it and the internet so we could do our work and chat with our teachers via a webcam. It was made specifically for people like me: sick kids, pregnant teens/teen moms who didn't want to drop out and get their GED. There was oversight, true lesson plans, deadlines, and I got a real diploma at the end. A diploma that has been, get this, accepted at accredited colleges! That kind of homeschooling is fine. You also did group projects with your classmates via a chat, but you could probably just skype that now. We had our core classes, foreign languages, intro to sociology, intro to psychology, AP classes, you name it. It served the entire state of Ohio, and our graduation was at this really nice hall in Columbus, which is when I met my teachers in person for the first time. And to top it off, it was free. If you have to homeschool, why not go for that?

• Love 17

The kind of homeschooling I can get behind is online homeschooling. It worked very well for me. I had to leave during the middle of my junior year of high school because of severe bullying issues and a death/school shooting threat that wasn't handled appropriately at all by the administration, but did so under the guise of my health. (I mean, I was missing a lot of school because of all of my health issues and hospitalizations.) The school was accredited, it sent a computer to our house that had Microsoft Office on it and the internet so we could do our work and chat with our teachers via a webcam. It was made specifically for people like me: sick kids, pregnant teens/teen moms who didn't want to drop out and get their GED. There was oversight, true lesson plans, deadlines, and I got a real diploma at the end. A diploma that has been, get this, accepted at accredited colleges! That kind of homeschooling is fine. You also did group projects with your classmates via a chat, but you could probably just skype that now. We had our core classes, foreign languages, intro to sociology, intro to psychology, AP classes, you name it. It served the entire state of Ohio, and our graduation was at this really nice hall in Columbus, which is when I met my teachers in person for the first time. And to top it off, it was free. If you have to homeschool, why not go for that?

This teacher thinks THIS sounds terrific. But it also sounds like far more than Me-chelle Duggar could hope to handle on her own. Not to mention far more than Boob would want his kids exposed to. Consequently, it would never be considered by the Duggars.

• Love 2