Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Sew Sumi just posted this, from the wedding.

I think that's probably the most flattering top I've ever seen Michelle wear. Granted the print is kind of - forceful? - pink and black really seem to suit her skin tone. Jim Bob, for his part, either has the most ill-fitting polo ever made, or maybe needs to consider some of that weight watcher action his ladies are getting. 

• Love 3

Sew Sumi just posted this, from the wedding.

I think that's probably the most flattering top I've ever seen Michelle wear. Granted the print is kind of - forceful? - pink and black really seem to suit her skin tone. Jim Bob, for his part, either has the most ill-fitting polo ever made, or maybe needs to consider some of that weight watcher action his ladies are getting. 

In a surprise twist, sure to get their show back, JB is carrying the next Duggar baby!

• Love 24

I've seen too much of these people. I watched the video with the sound off and I could still tell what they were saying. Plus I could hear their voices saying it with no sound! I may need to detox soon.

• Love 8

I hate the fellowship, precious talk and especially the be fruitful and multiply.  Blah.  Barf.

Whoever mentioned the maternity top was a shock to me.  I thought they just wore too small t-shirts things to show off stomachs and belly buttons.  I didn't recall seeing a maternity top on anybody.  My mom wore maternity tops.  I thought they didn't make them anymore.  There has to be something between a maternity top and a skin tight top that looks ok.  I know there is because I have known many pregnant women over time who went to work and just looked normal.  And nice.  

• Love 2

Arrgh!!! Of COURSE these 2 had to make this about themselves. This is a congratulatory video clip to the nelyweds. They should've left it at, " we're so excited for you." But noooooo, Jim Boob has to say how it reminds him of them, 31 years ago, and speaking of that, kids, get to baby makin'! Just ick. That's such a pet peeve of mine, when others turn someone else's moment onto themselves. And the Duggars are experts at it. All the more reason to keep them away from any video recording device.

• Love 7

There are many fashionable maternity tops these days that are not tents or smocks.  They also sell the more fitted styles in many sizes so that there is no need for it to be as tight as Jessa's.  She wants to look that way. 

• Love 9

There are many fashionable maternity tops these days that are not tents or smocks.  They also sell the more fitted styles in many sizes so that there is no need for it to be as tight as Jessa's.  She wants to look that way. 

You are totally right. Maternity tops in Target and Motherhood are very pretty and fashionable.  jessa is showing off her "baby bump" which is very immodest. NIKE

• Love 8

Michelle describes the wedding as the most special, awesome, amazing thing! Everytime she describes anything, it is always the most special, prescious, amazing thing! I cringe everytime. And JB,really,you just had to remind us of your amazing marriage. You forgot to say how many blessings you've had.

• Love 4

It has been very hot in SF.  I had to deal with a bunch of medical things today so I opted for comfort - a thin, cotton maxi skirt, a 3/4 sleeve loose fitting plain dark blue boat-necked shirt and flat, black, casual shoes.  It suddenly occurred to me; I look like a fundie.  I need to know the opposite of Nike! so I can exclaim it when I see myself in a mirror. 

• Love 6

It has been very hot in SF.  I had to deal with a bunch of medical things today so I opted for comfort - a thin, cotton maxi skirt, a 3/4 sleeve loose fitting plain dark blue boat-necked shirt and flat, black, casual shoes.  It suddenly occurred to me; I look like a fundie.  I need to know the opposite of Nike! so I can exclaim it when I see myself in a mirror. 

How 'bout BOOBIES!!

• Love 5

I just had to come late to the Duggar Croc discussion. Crocs are more than the 'garden variety' that's so popular in the states. Many wear them to work and I've seen women in my office wear them to work and sometimes change to the more official pump.  http://www.crocs.com/c/women/footwear/flats?intid=slider_simply_flattering_flats_150818

It's a shame the Duggar girls don't at least pick these up. They are comfortable, reasonably stylish and look better than those flip flops everywhere. Even Ma Duggar could look more up to date than the clod hoppers she wears.

• Love 1

From Duggar Facebook 14 August

Very important part of getting ready for the great Bates wedding is sisters getting to select boys attire for the brothers!

ilaeeh.jpg

Edited by Kokapetl

I sense product placement. Comped clothes in return for social media postings.

But then, I'm a skeptical old broad. Who has read comments online about how the Duggars work the phones to get comped stuff and have done for a long time. Even if that little game is about over with the end of the TV show and Joshgate, they probably still have some stuff trickling in.

They have 1M followers on Instagram. Hell, Josiah has over 300k. Even if you assume the trainwreck watchers make up half those numbers, they still have a lot of followers who are less likely to read magazines, watch TV, see trends at school, hang out with their friends at the mall... And if you read the comments they leave, they may not exactly be self-selected for critical thought. 

Product placement on a Duggar blog would not be a bad investment for an overpriced trendy product marketed to, say, a 13-25, or the parents of a 13-25. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Express, Banana Republic, J.Crew.  Buy used and save the difference.  Yeah, right.

If those aren't comped, I bet they were bought used. I can see them buying name brand for the older kids, but they still cheap, and I can't see them spending that on the howlers. 

• Love 3

If those aren't comped, I bet they were bought used. I can see them buying name brand for the older kids, but they still cheap, and I can't see them spending that on the howlers.

I agree. The Duggars have the "advantage" of being able to buy almost anything they find at Goodwill with a brand name as soon as they see it, because it's going to fit at least one of them.
  • Love 6

I don't believe their thrift store/Goodwill image anymore.  The little girls are wearing Gymboree.  The young men are wearing Banana Republic and J.Crew.  It is very difficult to find these brands in the thrift store, especially enough to cloth their fundie Army.  They were either comp'd (prior to the scandals) or a savvy Duggar shopper purchased on sale (deep discounts on mens size small and x-small on Jcrew and BR.

• Love 3

Children do outgrow clothes very fast. Plus, the Duggars don't have discriminating tastes. The Howlers don't look cool, they look like Disney Channel actors

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

I agree. The Duggars have the "advantage" of being able to buy almost anything they find at Goodwill with a brand name as soon as they see it, because it's going to fit at least one of them.

Brand names/Designer is not cheap at my local goodwill. In fact, if you know how to look, you may find a similar item from the same brand NEW for a bout the same price at marshalls or clearance/sale at the company store in the outlet mall.

• Love 3

Here's Joseph wearing that green shirt in April 2014, Jedediah wearing the purple check shirt in September 2014, and Josiah wears the deep purple shirt every chance he gets. Derick wore that fugly striped tie on some Times Square morning TV show. I don't think they're spending excessive amount of money on clothes. They don't have the space to keep many clothes on hand anyway.

Edited by Kokapetl

They didn't pack for Joseph or Josiah (only from the twins down). Plus, the BR green shirt  in the collage pic is a Small. Joseph is not a small. This leads me to conclude that they bought more than one green print shirt. So no, not a thrift shop find. 

• Love 2

They didn't pack for Joseph or Josiah (only from the twins down). Plus, the BR green shirt in the collage pic is a Small. Joseph is not a small. This leads me to conclude that they bought more than one green print shirt. So no, not a thrift shop find.

Um... It's a magic shirt?
  • Love 3

From Duggar Facebook 14 August

Very important part of getting ready for the great Bates wedding is sisters getting to select boys attire for the brothers!

That's just the saddest thing I've ever read, Kokapetl.  So, young Duggar women in their teens and early-mid 20's "get" to select the Howlers' clothes ? They GET to ?!?!

Did they hold some kind of lottery to see who "gets" to do it ? Did they all jump up and down and squeal at the prospect of having the privilege of making sure the boys didn't have their Underoos on inside-out ? Hmm, I wonder which SisterMom was the lucky recipient of that awesome blessing ?!?!

When the patriarchy at home says that a 25 year-old woman gets to dress her nine year-old brother then that's when the 25 year-old woman needs to say "No thanks, dude, I'm good..."

Also seems like no one "gets" to wash, brush, or comb any of the the Lost Girls hair, though - funny how that worked out. 

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 16

That's just the saddest thing I've ever read, Kokapetl. So, young Duggar women in their teens and early-mid 20's "get" to select the Howlers' clothes ? They GET to ?!?!

Did they hold some kind of lottery to see who "gets" to do it ? Did they all jump up and down and squeal at the prospect of having the privilege of making sure the boys didn't have their Underoos on inside-out ? Hmm, I wonder which SisterMom was the lucky recipient of that awesome blessing ?!?!

When the patriarchy at home says that a 25 year-old woman gets to dress her nine year-old brother then that's when the 25 year-old woman needs to say "No thanks, dude, I'm good..."

Also seems like no one "gets" to wash, brush, or comb any of the the Lost Girls hair, though - funny how that worked out.

I think they have fun with it, like dressing up a doll.

runqtu.png

Okay, I have a problem with my color vision and even I can tell that some of those shirt and tie combinations are hideous.  Does color blindness run in the Duggar family?  Did Jesus lay it on their hearts and eyes?  

• Love 3

The irony of this family is too much sometimes,they peddle hate filled neanderthal remarks,yet allow the sons to parade around in clothes Rupaul would consider too camp....

Edited by kandinski
  • Love 11

The irony of this family is too much sometimes,they peddle hate filled neanderthal remarks,yet allow the sons to parade around in clothes Rupaul would consider too camp....

So you're suggesting the Duggars might not be perfectly on trend? :-)

• Love 2

Express, Banana Republic, J.Crew.  Buy used and save the difference.  Yeah, right.

I don't believe their thrift store/Goodwill image anymore.  The little girls are wearing Gymboree.  The young men are wearing Banana Republic and J.Crew.  It is very difficult to find these brands in the thrift store, especially enough to cloth their fundie Army.  They were either comp'd (prior to the scandals) or a savvy Duggar shopper purchased on sale (deep discounts on mens size small and x-small on Jcrew and BR.

I can't believe I'm going to do this (defend the Duggars) , but I'm going to disagree........I think they are still  "buying used and saving the difference". I love thrift shops and these brands are there all the time....especially the more vibrant-colored shirts and ties. I think guys get them or buy them, then for whatever reason, realize they don't go with much, so they end up in Good Will, Salvation Army, or Savers. All those shirts are too random in the brand department to come from regular shopping.

The girls probably love setting up these outfits for the boys for special occasions because 1) it's Pinterest-y, 2) they have nothing better to do, 3) it's kinda fun to do it together, 4)the boys don't care enough to do it themselves.

I think all those outfits are cute. But they desperately need ironing.

Also: I went to a wedding last weekend and the groomsmen were Pinterestly dressed, rather casually, with bow ties. And many young guy attendees had bow ties also.

That was tough.....back to snarking......

• Love 3

There are second had stores like Once Upon A Child and Plato's Closet that resell name brand clothes. Both of these stores are in the Duggars' area. Anna and Joah has been filmed in a Once Upon A Child store.

No kidding? There's really a store called Plato's Closet? Why? The greeks didn't have closets, and in the other sense Plato was pretty much the least closeted person in recorded history.

• Love 9