Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I always wondered, why is curled hair always associated with wedding hairstyles? That seems to be the default go-to look for 90% of all brides with chin length hair or longer.

I think it's because it is considered more formal.

I think they just have a texture that holds curl easily. I have the opposite problem - even with blowouts, it wants to get very big and wavy if there's even a hint of moisture in the air.

I have the opposite problem also.  Hated getting my hair blown straight and only to frizz in the humid air when I stepped out..  I think some of the Duggar girls have the same problem.

Edited by abseedee

In their online video on YouTube I believe it is Jessa who is showing how they do their hair.  They spray it with a humungous amount of hair spray likely super hold and while the hair is wet/damp wrap it wringlet style around a curling iron and uncoil it as it cools and fluff out with their fingers and then spray it a few thousand times more.  The curl should hold then but you can't brush after that or the curls would uncoil.  

Oh my Lord, hairspray on wet hair followed by wrapping it around a hot iron?! No wonder their hair is a dried out mess of frizz and split ends. 

They could achieve the same look with rollers and setting lotion. It would be a lot less damaging.

• Love 2
abseedee, on 31 Oct 2014 - 5:12 PM, said:

Well then!  Looks like Derick likes shorter skirts on Jill.

I'm still trying to figure out if Jill is wear tights, leggings or pants under that skirt.

Aaaaand his hair is almost the same as when Jill first met him.

It looks to me like navy nylons or tights.

Oh my Lord, hairspray on wet hair followed by wrapping it around a hot iron?! No wonder their hair is a dried out mess of frizz and split ends. 

They could achieve the same look with rollers and setting lotion. It would be a lot less damaging.

They could use some deep conditioning.

It looks to me like navy nylons or tights.

I'm leaning towards tights now.

I wonder what the hair stylists at the shop they went to before Jill's wedding thought of the girl's hair. I hope they suggested some deep conditioning or trimming of the dried out ends, even tho we haven't seen it. I'm with the previous poster about not using a hot curling iron on damp/wet hair. They can probably hear it sizzling.

I remember in the 80's when we were doing BIG HAIR how we would sizzle our hair. Our hair stylists wept when they saw us, which in their minds wasn't often enough, but on a teenager budget was still probably more than we could afford.

• Love 3

The girls could cut a good 6 inches off their hair, and it would still be really long, but at least the dead parts would be cut off and it would add a lot more body to their hair.  This would make it look like an overall healthier head of hair. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 6

I agree. Jill's hair, maybe more than the others, looks particularly damaged (and dare I say, unwashed?).

Unwashed is the word I would use. Maybe they put a ton of hairspray in to hold the curls. Or use too much product before they use the curling iron. Or maybe they've gotten used to not washing their hair every day because it's too much of a hassle when there's umpteen people and two showers? Does anyone know how many showers the kids can use in the TTH?

Every other day or possibly third day would be fine if you use a dry powder shampoo in between and shower with a shower cap on. Some people just have oilier scalps than others and need to use some type of shampoo daily otherwise you end up looking like you haven't showered with stringy hair.

I will say, out of all the girls, Jana looks the cleanest and has the healthiest looking hair. She never looks dingy or unkept. She's one classy girl.

• Love 4
I will say, out of all the girls, Jana looks the cleanest and has the healthiest looking hair. She never looks dingy or unkept. She's one classy girl

Yes.  She really is, imo, the "pick o' the litter."  She's always so graceful and ladylike, and I don't think it's the Gothard training.  She seems to be naturally this way.  I think she always looks clean and appropriate, and most of the time I see her wearing some sort of foot covering.  If my son brought home a girl like her I'd be pleased.  I actually think she's Jim Bob's favorite, and maybe that's why it's taken so long (in fundie world), to find an appropriate young man for her.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 2

While Jana always does look lovely, I have to say, it's Joy's hair that always inspires envy in me.  So thick, shiny, with gorgeous color and those to die for natural highlights.  It makes sense that her hair is in good shape, though; I only remember ever seeing her with a perm or other hair-mangling 'do once or twice in the decade they've been in the spotlight.

• Love 3

The girls could cut a good 6 inches off their hair, and it would still be really long, but at least the dead parts would be cut off and it would add a lot more body to their hair.  This would make it look like an overall healthier head of hair. 

The only "living" part of the hair is the follicle. Everything you see is dead.

The oil glands are on the head....so it's farther to the ends when hair is long like the Duggar girls'.....thus, the dryness.

I actually liked Jessa's very long hair at her wedding. She obviously doesn't have extensions....you can see her hair flowing as she's running in her rehearsal pic. It may never be that pretty again, so she probably grew it just for the wedding.

Still love her non-modified gown....can't wait to see the bridesmaids' dresses and (gag) Mullet's.

• Love 2

Yes, Joy has a beautiful thick head of hair, and IIRC, she seems to curl it less than the others.

I am really interested in seeing the bridesmaids dresses too. I do hope Michelle purchased a new dress in a different color for this event instead of wearing the MOB dress she wore in Jill's wedding. According to the article in PEOPLE magazine, grey is one of Jessa's wedding colors. I doubt she did anything different to her hair though, she really is attached to the fuzzy mullet.

The only modification Jessa made (that I've read) was to remove some of the tulle underneath to make it less full. That made me laugh as I was just recently helping in the bridal dressing room and the bride had multiple tulle layers and was muttering, "what looks beautiful on the store pedestal sure is a pain to actually wear all day!" :)

GEML-that's funny about what the bride said. One of the gowns I was seriously considering when I got married in 1984 had a hoop skirt & I think you had to buy a special slip to wear under it. I do remember the sales lady explaining there was a certain way to sit in it so you didn't pull a Carol Burnett & flip the whole skirt up in the air.

• Love 4

This.  The girls could  trim their hair every couple of months and the hair will actually look longer than it really is.  I'm up there in age and for the most part have waist length hair of which 1" or a little more is trimmed off every 3 months.

Edited by abseedee

Every one of the girls could use a haircut because long hair gets split ends really fast. I also hate the bows that they put on the younger girls hair especially Jennifer who from all accounts hates them.

• Love 2

Their hair always gets in the cooking. It's always in the way of everything and it's waayy too long and stringy IMO. I agree that all the 5 older girls need to chop off at least 6 inches each and it might look better...oh and someone give them a rubber band when they are around food cooking..The little girls look stupid with those bows and all too large flowers in their hair. It looks like foliage is growing out of their heads.

• Love 3

I'll never get the appeal of the super long hair. It doesn't look healthy. What's the point when it looks so scraggly? It looks ridiculous on Mullet. I'm sure that she thinks hanging on to the 'do from her youth makes her seem younger, but, really, it dates her and makes her look older. And silly. Not that I mind. I kind of enjoy laughing at her.

• Love 3

The women keep the hairstyle their husband finds most attractive typically. Some tiny subcultures even cover their hair, similar to the Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite groups.

I don't think so. I see very similar style on a lot of Fundy women who would spit in the street rather than acknowledge Bill Gothard. (Rival Fundy groups can actually get pretty intense.)

Yeah but isn't the Little Mermand the one that's cover has a penis very obviously drawn in as part of a castle tower? Unless that's been changed by now..

Yes, that was the one, but it has been changed and the new cover does not include the penis. :)

My hair stylist told me to wash my hair the night before my wedding, before I went to bed so it would hold the updo better.

It's not as though these men live under rocks. They see plenty of hairstyles every day, just by going to the bank, the grocery store, the customers in your business, etc. They're going to know what they like. Guinn Seewald, for instance, had more stylish hair than does most. Anna had had styled hair since about the second year, and it's relatively short now. I think Jill may have cut her hair some since the wedding.

Anyone see the disasterous family group photo on Pickes and Hairspray of this family? Oh my, Mack's BOOTS with a summer fancy dress, one kid barefoot, Josie can't stand on her own, Jill's jugs are enormous, she's filling up like a dairy cow on a farm; someone please get her a supportive NEW bra and STAT! Why did Michelle and Grandma Duggar try to "match" each other? Who is competing to look like the dowdy grandmother here? I do believe Michelle wore Grandma Duggar's dress to church the next day as photographed somewhere holding that terrified newborn.  I don't care for Mrs. Seewald's choice of dress. She, too, needed a better bra.

The lack of bras for the family is sad. Perhaps Michelle could more easily carry small children if shed worn good ones all these years.

I always write the kids odd clothing choices off to just not fighting that particular battle today. My daughter is Michael's age, extremely independent about her clothing choices, and a lot of the time it's just not worth it. I can definite see her wearing a fancy summer dress and boots.

Edited by GEML

I'm pretty sure all Targets donate to Goodwill once the clearance has been deemed salvage.

As for all the girls they desperately need haircuts. It would make such a difference instead of  seeing them with ratty long hair.

ITA that MEChelle's brand is frumpy. She too needs to see if you dress nicer perhaps the world won't die, i.e. see Kelly Bates and Guinn Seewald.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Good bras are expensive, and Goodwill/resale places can't sell undergarments that have directly touched body parts. Plus, they share a communal closet, and those unsupportive stretchy bras that accommodate more sizes work better than something that fits each girl. 

Good bras are expensive, and Goodwill/resale places can't sell undergarments that have directly touched body parts. Plus, they share a communal closet, and those unsupportive stretchy bras that accommodate more sizes work better than something that fits each girl. 

All the Good Will and other thrift stores around here have bins with bras/panties/socks.  So maybe a regional situation?

• Love 2

Michelle has stated that they buy underwear and socks new and always have. I'm sure Jim Bob could have sprung a few bucks for 2 or 3 good support bras for Michelle over the years, but she was constantly wearing nursing bras I would imaging, also which can be bought 2 or 3 and it wouldn't have broken Jim Bob's piggy bank.

I hope Jill reads this and realizes that she needs to get herself to a good foundation store and purchase a few GOOD support bras for herself as she's beginning to look awful in that department. I hope she and Derick have said "goodbye" to her young, perky bossoms as they are not a thing of the past....sadly, he just "met them".

• Love 7

All the Good Will and other thrift stores around here have bins with bras/panties/socks.  So maybe a regional situation?

Interesting. It may be regional or even individual stores. I know the ones near me won't take undies, lingerie, swimsuits, and I never thought about socks, unless they are new with tags. Which doesn't make total sense, because shirts and pants (gross) can I guess be worn without undies and therefore touch skin.

I also wonder if their "modesty" standards keep them from a bra fitting. Which shows you how ridiculous this stuff gets, as a good bra can actually make you appear MORE modest than less.

• Love 2

I agree. Jill's hair, maybe more than the others, looks particularly damaged (and dare I say, unwashed?).

Agree - all the girls' hair needs some serious trimming, shaping and conditioning - Jill's most of all. I'm sure even the little girls need trimming. Is there some rule about cutting the hair of females? I know some world cultures strictly prohibit it. Or is it just another creepy Gothard teaching?

• Love 1

I doubt they cut the girls' hair at all before the show. They might now, but probably just do the little girls' in house.

When Anna took McK to the beauty school that was almost as daring as the earrings. And you can tell that McK still has regular haircuts today.

All the Good Will and other thrift stores around here have bins with bras/panties/socks. So maybe a regional situation?

yep, I always give that used underwear/bra rack the side eye when I encounter it at the Goodwill.

• Love 1

Since the topic seems to fit my thoughts best........the Duggar idea of modesty is utterly horrifying. I keep catching myself looking at any photo of them and thinking "hmmm, is that modest Missy? Really? That tight skirt, that tight top?" LIkewise, I'm surprised if any of them is married for more than a month (see Bates) and isn't pregnant yet.

Now usually I couldn't care less what somebody wears and wouldn't really think of modesty or anything, or why isn't she pregnant yet. THAT's what their crazy line of thinking is doing to me. I cannot imagine how much worse it would have to be in their circles.

• Love 4

Since the topic seems to fit my thoughts best........the Duggar idea of modesty is utterly horrifying. I keep catching myself looking at any photo of them and thinking "hmmm, is that modest Missy? Really? That tight skirt, that tight top?" LIkewise, I'm surprised if any of them is married for more than a month (see Bates) and isn't pregnant yet.

Now usually I couldn't care less what somebody wears and wouldn't really think of modesty or anything, or why isn't she pregnant yet. THAT's what their crazy line of thinking is doing to me. I cannot imagine how much worse it would have to be in their circles.

The thing is, no one would pay much attention to what they are wearing, if they didn't scream "NIKE" and talk about modesty 24/7. But yeah, the whole skirting around the modesty issue is something I've seen in Every Single Evangelical congregation I've ever attended. It's all modesty, modesty, modesty, until the pastor or choir director's daughters develop curves and want to date/court, and then it's longer skirts, but thin fabric and skin tight, so you can definitely see the outline of hips, butts, and thighs, usually with super high heels. It's no cleavage, but skin tight sweaters and tees, looser tops that are then cinched at the waist, etc.

I can't blame teens for wanting to push the limits and see what they can get by with, because that's what they do, but it always annoys me to no end, when ministers, politicians, teachers, or whomever else has a separate set of rule for their own children vs. everyone else's.

• Love 3

(Wry tone) the one's with parents harping on modesty the most often have children pushing the boundary the hardest.

I believe this wholeheartedly. Tell someone not to do something, see something, read something. It almost invariably makes the individual want to do it, see it or read it even more. Proof, to me at least, that leading and teaching by example is far more effective than by lecturing and instructing.

• Love 4

Stacy London is coming back to TLC. Instead of talking about all the fixes the Duggar girls need we should just petition TLC to do a whole season of Stacy's new show just with one Duggar girl at a time starting with MEchelle.

• Love 12