Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Thanks GEML for your thoughts re; tithing.

As much as I enjoy poking fun at certain aspects of this family, I confess I find their lifestyle choices sad and fascinating. However, I do think JB is doing all he can to financially look out for his family and provide for them with their future in mind. I'm sad that he doesn't see the value in education and look outside of his narrow worldview to see how a college education would greatly benefit the lives of his children to take them further in life.

I could see how much joy it brought to him as a dad to provide Jill with the beautiful mansion to live in and help furnish it for her. Sure, it's probably his way to have some control over Dill, but I also see it as his way to help set up Jill and Derick for their new life together. He sure has a sweet spot for Jill.

• Love 2

This isn't exactly true. It bugs me when Internet lore is spun as fact.

I'm not spinning internet lore. What I've posted is fact, as stated by Jim Bob to another Kids By the Dozen mega family. It was also cited on a now defunct interview between Jim Bob and Christian radio host. The fact that all references and original sources have been scrubbed doesn't make it less true.

Jim Bob originally purchased 1 house kit. This was stated by him in the first book and on the special. That house was 3500 square feet. The kit arrived with missing and/or incompatible pieces and, Jim Bob claims by the Grace of God, the company decided it would cost more to return the kit than to send him a second kit with the correct pieces. What goes unsaid is that you can conclude that either the pieces weren't as incompatible as claimed or it wouldn't have been usable. Jim Bob decided to use both kits and join them together to create one mega mansion. This is NOT rumor. This is fact. Those two kits sat around on the vacant lot for YEARS because Jim Bob couldn't find a contractor nearby that would allow children on the job site and/or permit Jim Bob to build some himself. This was mentioned in the moving in special that was later edited down. Jim Bob admitted, in print and by oral anecdote, that spending a quarter of a million dollars on a campaign was prayed about and a great sacrifice precisely because it would mean not having enough to get the "house project" completed in the time frame they'd originally planned. In fact, you can still read articles and passages in their books where they claim his time in politics must have been blessed by God because they were struggling financially and without the generosity of others Michelle would've been alone with the kids in Tontitown. Someone recommended a house closer to the capital that they used instead.

The house was a disaster before TLC stepped in. That's not rumor. That is Duggar approved fact. You can't re-write history because you choose to believe differently. Jim Bob had Clark Wilson take over the build because Jim Bob quickly realized he had no knowledge, no license, and no chance of doing it himself. JIM Bob stated, on the special, that Wilson was fine with the kids helping and therefore the right man for the job. Wilson also commented on how frustrating it was to build that house because of the constant design changes and poor planning and having to teach the kids. TLC stepped in because, if you recall,icheple was heavily pregnant and they were about to be homeless. Even still, Jim Bob's lack of foresight, funds, and interference delayed the project so much that the contractor and decorator HIRED and PAID FOR by TLC complained. THE BUILD WAS A CIRCUS!!!!!

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 17

Thanks Wanderwoman for the recap of the building of the TTC. I knew some of the things but didn't realize they had the kits for years before they started building & they used money for his campaign that was set aside for the house.

• Love 1

I'm not spinning internet lore. What I've posted is fact, as stated by Jim Bob to another Kids By the Dozen mega family. It was also cited on a now defunct interview between Jim Bob and Christian radio host. The fact that all references and original sources have been scrubbed doesn't make it less true.

Jim Bob originally purchased 1 house kit. This was stated by him in the first book and on the special. That house was 3500 square feet. The kit arrived with missing and/or incompatible pieces and, Jim Bob claims by the Grace of God, the company decided it would cost more to return the kit than to send him a second kit with the correct pieces. What goes unsaid is that you can conclude that either the pieces weren't as incompatible as claimed or it wouldn't have been usable. Jim Bob decided to use both kits and join them together to create one mega mansion. This is NOT rumor. This is fact. Those two kits sat around on the vacant lot for YEARS because Jim Bob couldn't find a contractor nearby that would allow children on the job site and/or permit Jim Bob to build some himself. This was mentioned in the moving in special that was later edited down. Jim Bob admitted, in print and by oral anecdote, that spending a quarter of a million dollars on a campaign was prayed about and a great sacrifice precisely because it would mean not having enough to get the "house project" completed in the time frame they'd originally planned. In fact, you can still read articles and passages in their books where they claim his time in politics must have been blessed by God because they were struggling financially and without the generosity of others Michelle would've been alone with the kids in Tontitown. Someone recommended a house closer to the capital that they used instead.

The house was a disaster before TLC stepped in. That's not rumor. That is Duggar approved fact. You can't re-write history because you choose to believe differently. Jim Bob had Clark Wilson take over the build because Jim Bob quickly realized he had no knowledge, no license, and no chance of doing it himself. JIM Bob stated, on the special, that Wilson was fine with the kids helping and therefore the right man for the job. Wilson also commented on how frustrating it was to build that house because of the constant design changes and poor planning and having to teach the kids. TLC stepped in because, if you recall,icheple was heavily pregnant and they were about to be homeless. Even still, Jim Bob's lack of foresight, funds, and interference delayed the project so much that the contractor and decorator HIRED and PAID FOR by TLC complained. THE BUILD WAS A CIRCUS!!!!!

Yes, I read their first book and it did detail that. How lucky was he that TLc came along? Another thing he lucked out on is managing to get a cell tower on his land. He is either very lucky or a genius! Lol!

I bet he wrangles the hell out of them on his contracts with TLC.

• Love 1

Ms blossom : I've known a lot of deeply religious families, live my life in a secular world, and I know a lot of extremely dysfunctional families. While I wish that the Duggars would allow at least a few more choices for their children they are far from being truly dysfunctional by religious standards and by secular standards only somewhat. Yes, the children all live under extreme rules, many dealing with issues of eternal soul/hell, but I can't tell you how many people I've known who have managed to leave much worse situations with less opportunities and exposure than these kids have had.

• Love 3

Thank you for that perspective, GEML. I confess I do not often think of the families that are more dysfunctional or worse off since I'm not exposed to them. I'm sure you are right that although the Duggars seem extreme to me, that this is not really the case when you look at fundamentalism as a whole. And I would guess that the families that are theologically similar to the Duggars have it vastly different from this family as they don't have the resources, media attention, and opportunities that being on a hit tv show provides.

Edited by msblossom

Thanks GEML for your thoughts re; tithing.

As much as I enjoy poking fun at certain aspects of this family, I confess I find their lifestyle choices sad and fascinating. However, I do think JB is doing all he can to financially look out for his family and provide for them with their future in mind. I'm sad that he doesn't see the value in education and look outside of his narrow worldview to see how a college education would greatly benefit the lives of his children to take them further in life.

I could see how much joy it brought to him as a dad to provide Jill with the beautiful mansion to live in and help furnish it for her. Sure, it's probably his way to have some control over Dill, but I also see it as his way to help set up Jill and Derick for their new life together. He sure has a sweet spot for Jill.

It's kind of odd that they would value celebrity over education as a means to provide.

• Love 4

I doubt they would admit to valuing celebrity. I think they believe they have been chosen by God to use the medium of television as a platform to teach people their beliefs about God as a testimony to the world. Maybe they see the financial benefit as a by-product to living out their faith on the small screen? Not sure. No one can argue the fact that it provides them with very healthy income and opens opportunities that would otherwise be closed. I just think that they view education as a threat to their belief system because they learn in a very rote pattern that doesn't allow them to think for themselves or explore new ideas. This bums me out for the kids.

• Love 3

Yes, I read their first book and it did detail that. How lucky was he that TLc came along? Another thing he lucked out on is managing to get a cell tower on his land. He is either very lucky or a genius! Lol!

I bet he wrangles the hell out of them on his contracts with TLC.

As a Verizon employee in recent years~it isn't difficult to get a cell tower on your land. While in training we were told to let management know if we were interested or knew someone that would be. The only real requirement is having an amount of land and giving the company that owns the cell tower access at will.

I agree, but the financial rewards to him for having a cell tower, are very good. I have no idea what the going rate is today, but when my husbands company (hotel) let a cell tower be used on the whole tenth floor the hotel received $1O,OOO a month for that agreement! If the Duggars get anything like that, that's very good money.

I still think I would be shocked if I were to read the fine details of their contract with TLC. ( maybe one day the kids will tell us lol!)He did manage to get all his $$$ covered with a trust. I think he may act like a bumpkin, but is actually shrewed.

• Love 2

I'm positive they have a trust or a LLC. Any prudent accountant would recommend that to protect the non-entertainment money from the show. It would also protect the home and property against multiple potential threats if anything happened to Michelle or Jim Bob. A limited liability corporation would also protect them against law suits and other realities of wealth (people usually don't use the poor, but if the wealthy have a car accident...game on).

• Love 2

I agree, but the financial rewards to him for having a cell tower, are very good. I have no idea what the going rate is today, but when my husbands company (hotel) let a cell tower be used on the whole tenth floor the hotel received $1O,OOO a month for that agreement! If the Duggars get anything like that, that's very good money.

I still think I would be shocked if I were to read the fine details of their contract with TLC. ( maybe one day the kids will tell us lol!)He did manage to get all his $$$ covered with a trust. I think he may act like a bumpkin, but is actually shrewed.

If the kids even know! LOL I agree wholeheartedly about J'Boob being a very good businessman.

Boob is such a control freak! He controls the TLC money he made pimping out his family, he won't let his kids attend college to gain the education they need for most well-paying jobs, and he likely won't let them attend vocational programs for other jobs. He's basically ensured they won't be able to be financially independent and will forever be under his thumb as he doles out TLC money as he sees fit. I'm not saying everyone needs to go to college, but how about cosmetology, or plumbing, or enlisting in the military? Real estate was how Jim Bob got his leg up, but market conditions aren't what they were back then.

Yes, JD has a supposedly successful towing business, but could he really marry and raise a family on that income? And Josh would never have gotten the hate group job in DC without the Duggar name. Before that, he ran a failed car lot. Look at Jessa and Bin - even if Dim Bulb does manage to finish his poly sci degree, will he really be able to support a large family with those qualifications? Boob is raising a generation of uneducated, unskilled, untrained simpletons who will have no choice but to marry well or live on the Duggar compound receiving TLC handouts.

• Love 8

But the adult children don't have to live on the amount from the trust that Jim Boob deigns to hand out to them.    It's THEIR money.   They could set up their own trusts and get ALL the income from it.   BUt they don't know that because their parents won't let them do anything independently.    As adults they have to sign the contract, but I doubt they understand what they are signing or even know they have the ability to negotiate on their own, let alone have their own lawyer explain things to them.    And if they use Jim Boob's attorney I want to know how he justifies THAT conflict of interest.   Because Dad's and the kids interest are not necessarily aligned.   But the kids don't even know they can seek independent consultation on waiving the conflict, probably.

Sorry went into lawyer mode there.   Occupational hazard.

• Love 7

How much did it cost for the house to be built? And if tlc haven't came along where would they live when their old house got torn down

But the adult children don't have to live on the amount from the trust that Jim Boob deigns to hand out to them. It's THEIR money. They could set up their own trusts and get ALL the income from it. BUt they don't know that because their parents won't let them do anything independently. As adults they have to sign the contract, but I doubt they understand what they are signing or even know they have the ability to negotiate on their own, let alone have their own lawyer explain things to them. And if they use Jim Boob's attorney I want to know how he justifies THAT conflict of interest. Because Dad's and the kids interest are not necessarily aligned. But the kids don't even know they can seek independent consultation on waiving the conflict, probably.

Sorry went into lawyer mode there. Occupational hazard.

JB probably guilts his kids into giving up their half. God told you to do this

Boob is such a control freak! He controls the TLC money he made pimping out his family, he won't let his kids attend college to gain the education they need for most well-paying jobs, and he likely won't let them attend vocational programs for other jobs. He's basically ensured they won't be able to be financially independent and will forever be under his thumb as he doles out TLC money as he sees fit. I'm not saying everyone needs to go to college, but how about cosmetology, or plumbing, or enlisting in the military? Real estate was how Jim Bob got his leg up, but market conditions aren't what they were back then.

Yes, JD has a supposedly successful towing business, but could he really marry and raise a family on that income? And Josh would never have gotten the hate group job in DC without the Duggar name. Before that, he ran a failed car lot. Look at Jessa and Bin - even if Dim Bulb does manage to finish his poly sci degree, will he really be able to support a large family with those qualifications? Boob is raising a generation of uneducated, unskilled, untrained simpletons who will have no choice but to marry well or live on the Duggar compound receiving TLC handouts.

Which I think it's sad with the money they're getting. Why purposely deny your kids an education, when some people really want an education but can't get one.

• Love 2

If you look up the Washington County Arkansas property ownership records, the Duggar lands are owned by the Duggar Trust. He's no stoop and is well advised by tax attorneys, estate planners and the like. The money and assets are totally accessible to Michelle and Jim Bob, yet protected from being touched if sued. Based on what we see as tangible property like the vehicles, motor home, bus, land/farm heavy equipment, house and structures on it, Jim Bob is worth far more than $3.5mil.

Since HIS daughters are prohibited from working at all, as they would have to mingle with the general public, I wonder what this family believes about the nice ladies at the Washington County Tag Office who help him renew his tags for his multiple vehicles, and who collect his tangible taxes on the equipment and inventory they have? What does he think of the nice girls who work at the pizza place who serve them? Are they sinners for interacting with the general public? How can these people believe that their way of life is correct and how can it not dawn on the older girls from Joy Anna on up that this is somehow wrong of their parents?

• Love 4

The Duggars think that anyone who isn't "like-minded" is beneath them. They'll preach on all day about loving the sinner but hating the sin, but it's very obvious from every interaction we've seen on the show that the Duggars absolutely consider themselves to be vastly superior to almost everybody and look down on them with condescending pity.

I wonder what the view is like from up there on that horse.

• Love 7

The Duggars think that anyone who isn't "like-minded" is beneath them. They'll preach on all day about loving the sinner but hating the sin, but it's very obvious from every interaction we've seen on the show that the Duggars absolutely consider themselves to be vastly superior to almost everybody and look down on them with condescending pity.

I wonder what the view is like from up there on that horse.

So the girl nurse or doctor who treated them and Josie are beneath them? What about the dentist? Or female politicians? They went to real school. If the Duggars think they're better than other people they need to look around and sit their asses down.

• Love 2

Everyone who doesn't do exactly what the Duggars do is headed straight to hell. We are just useful fools to that family.

Guess my husband, my kids and I are all going to hell then. Maybe being uneducated and a douche bag is what God wants from her followers

• Love 3

I'm not sure how their afterlife theology works. Some beliefs cast all but the very few (the righteous remnant) into hell, others give the most dedicated and truest believers the highest rewards in heaven - you'll hear phrases like "you earned stars/jewels for your crown" or "your mansion is going to be right next to God's throne" things like that.

Both are clearly very human, not heaven ways of looking at an afterlife. The first is basically casting people into eternal damnation for not following some pretty silly man-made laws for what is a flicker of time in comparison to the punishment, and the second is a way of rubbing someone's nose in your holiness for eternity in a world where we aren't supposed to have those feelings of envy anymore!

• Love 5

The overall lack of reading by the kids, reading to the kids, and the absence of books in the house has got to have some impact on the kids' intellectual development. Reading is needed to understand all other areas of education. Since they don't mind the kids bouncing around the house all day, would they really consider reading to be selfish. Why can't the older kids read to the younger ones? A childhood without books and stories seems so sad to me.

• Love 9

The overall lack of reading by the kids, reading to the kids, and the absence of books in the house has got to have some impact on the kids' intellectual development. Reading is needed to understand all other areas of education. Since they don't mind the kids bouncing around the house all day, would they really consider reading to be selfish. Why can't the older kids read to the younger ones? A childhood without books and stories seems so sad to me.

The only book they know is how to meet prince charming. I'm surprised they don't read literature. I would like to know what reading level each kid is on for their age, along with their math level.

• Love 3

The only book they know is how to meet prince charming. I'm surprised they don't read literature. I would like to know what reading level each kid is on for their age, along with their math level.

Homeperm & Dark night - I'm with you with the non-reading & math skills in this family. We've seen Michelle read to the little ones one time before bed (sure it was for TV). I think she even squealed about how much they love to read but we never see the kids reading out loud or to themselves. Even on the episode where Anna took Mac & Michael to the library, it seemed so foreign to her like she had never been to one. I'm sure the Duggars wouldn't approve of the Star Wars themed books that my son got hooked on reading when he was ten, but there are books out there that would meet with their approval. Even my church has a small library for both kids & adults.

Just had a mental picture of the Duggar kids running loose in the library. Not good. Maybe Michelle (not the J'slaves) could take them in smaller groups with a lesson on how to act beforehand.

• Love 1

I'm sure the Duggars wouldn't approve of the Star Wars themed books that my son got hooked on reading when he was ten, but there are books out there that would meet with their approval. Even my church has a small library for both kids & adults.

My son absolutely hated reading.  I tried everything- until he discovered the Harry Potter books.  It was his turning point.  You never know what will do it for your child- but whatever it takes to turn them on to reading- you better do it.

I know the Dumbgers don't subscribe to this way of thinking.  This might be the reason their favorite book is the stupid whatever it's called prince charming book by the tall girl that doesn't even have a boyfriend.  

• Love 1

I saw some old episodes a few weeks ago, and in one of them they were moving and packing up a surprising number of books. I'm sure all of the books were Gothard approved titles, and they may have been text books. 

I don't think their educational deficiencies are specifically that they don't read well, but that they just aren't taught much -- no science, little math, revisionist history. I doubt that any of them read well since their is no sign that any of them read for pleasure.

You would think that they would carry books with them all the time with the boredom of long bus trips, the endless wait times in filming, etc. I would imagine that there are series of books for young readers that are Gothard approved (2 Christian boys solving crimes with their faithful dog, Skip, or something like that). I suppose that reading leads to children having "ideas," and it can't be tolerated.

• Love 1

Barb23, exactly! Get them reading. To do that just, let a kid read whatever they are interested in. Leave them to it and they'll find what they like. The important thing is that they read and hopefully, find that they enjoy it. I know the girls like those Prince Charming books, or at least they are allowed to read them. What do the boys read? Do any of them get to have silly, rhyming books, just for the fun of it? What could be the harm? I really don't get it. Maybe Dr. Seuss and Edward Lear don't teach Biblical lessons. So what? The language is interesting and they're just fun. At the very least, as fun as any of the other Duggar pastimes. 

• Love 1

You would think that they would carry books with them all the time with the boredom of long bus trips, the endless wait times in filming, etc. I would imagine that there are series of books for young readers that are Gothard approved (2 Christian boys solving crimes with their faithful dog, Skip, or something like that). I suppose that reading leads to children having "ideas," and it can't be tolerated.

OMG that's a million dollar idea! A fundy kids' mystery series where every book ends when they realize that "God did it!" Mystery solved. Edited by PityFree
  • Love 6

I will say, I always see one of the kids with a book. I think they read more than you think. With not watching TV, reading is a good way to fill time.  I agree that let the kids read what interests them, and its sad that these kids don't get to read so many great and fun books.  They do read though.

I think it was discussed somewhere that one of the middle boys or Jackson was given something to read on a TH by one of the producers. He replied that he couldn't read it too well even though it was supposed to be something simple. Does anyone remember something like this?

I'm sure the older group of kids are better readers because as said before, MEchelle was into teaching them then & there wasn't that many of them. But the younger ones.......

But I still don't think they go to the library or we would have seen it on TV. How many episodes have we seen of them at the dentist/doctor, on a farm, etc.? Going to the library would be something new and different. Boob & MEchelle could rant on "how educational it is" (In case we didn't know that.) Are you listening TLC?

I can think of twenty writers that should be more than appropriate for the Duggars. Writers like Grace Livingston Hill even follow a more or less "courtship" model although her characters do kiss upon engagement as do those of contemporary writer Janette Oke.

But like everything else dealing with Gothardism and the Duggars, it really isn't whether something is approved in the abstract, it's about the ability to control and say no.

Didn't Michelle say that the children are punished by having to read a book?

She has indeed.  When the kids act up, their "punishment" is to go be quiet and read a book. 

I get that she's trying to make time out into something productive, but associating reading with punishment is not smart.  Unless you're actively trying to stunt your childrens' intellectual curiosity - oh, wait. 

We did see a Howler reading a child's biography of a missionary possibly for fun (or maybe he was doing homework on the bus) in one shot, and we saw Joy reading a Boxcar Children book for "school" once (at age 11/12...those were huge in my third grade class...not sure if that means all the kids are below grade level or just Joy.)  Beyond that the only books I've seen onscreen in that house are texts about the evil lies of evolution and the like. 

(I'm a little weird in that I always try to see what's out and about in the house, as I feel like that might be a genuine insight into how they live.  Also the show's just so damn boring most of the time I need something to look at so I don't fall asleep.)

Edited by WTFFF

I can think of twenty writers that should be more than appropriate for the Duggars. Writers like Grace Livingston Hill even follow a more or less "courtship" model although her characters do kiss upon engagement as do those of contemporary writer Janette Oke.

But like everything else dealing with Gothardism and the Duggars, it really isn't whether something is approved in the abstract, it's about the ability to control and say no.

One would think that at least, the howlers and lost girls would be able to read the Moody books written by Sarah Maxwell. It is a boring series about a QF family and their "adventures".

I bet they have the Moody books. I found an autographed copy (the 32 year old author signs her name like a child...shock) on Amazon, IIRC, and spent a couple painful hours reading it. Poorly written in passive voice (which when you read most fundie writing is a consistent issue), the book was dull, and the "adventures"  were trite character lessons. Even something as mundane as cooking had a moral lesson attached to it. I needed a drink or ten after finishing.

• Love 2

I will admit that even at 45 I still LOVE reading THE BOXCAR CHILDREN. I was reading those books at least once a year until I was well into high school. So I can't in good conscience assume that someone reading them at 11-12 is reading them for any other reason than perhaps she enjoys going back to her old favorites again and again. I can't wait until I can read them to my daughter!

• Love 2

It was her assigned reading for homeschooling time, not recreational.  We also saw that she was working on the 4th grade spelling and vocab lesson, so I just figured language isn't one of Joy's strengths, but I also have come to wonder about age-appropriate reading material in that house. 

I still have a few of those books in my room myself; loved them as a kid! 

I bet they have the Moody books. I found an autographed copy (the 32 year old author signs her name like a child...shock) on Amazon, IIRC, and spent a couple painful hours reading it. Poorly written in passive voice (which when you read most fundie writing is a consistent issue), the book was dull, and the "adventures" were trite character lessons. Even something as mundane as cooking had a moral lesson attached to it. I needed a drink or ten after finishing.

Sarah Maxwell moody books somewhat relates to her life. The Maxwells are crazy people

Didn't Michelle say that the children are punished by having to read a book?

I'm pretty sure that she meant that when she said she "punishes them with a book!" she hits them with one. Edited by PityFree
  • Love 5

Homeperm & Dark night - I'm with you with the non-reading & math skills in this family. We've seen Michelle read to the little ones one time before bed (sure it was for TV). I think she even squealed about how much they love to read but we never see the kids reading out loud or to themselves. Even on the episode where Anna took Mac & Michael to the library, it seemed so foreign to her like she had never been to one. I'm sure the Duggars wouldn't approve of the Star Wars themed books that my son got hooked on reading when he was ten, but there are books out there that would meet with their approval. Even my church has a small library for both kids & adults.

Just had a mental picture of the Duggar kids running loose in the library. Not good. Maybe Michelle (not the J'slaves) could take them in smaller groups with a lesson on how to act beforehand.

BBM, I keep thinking about how many things in their lives, including child rearing, differs from other people of faith because they do not attend a church where there is not only teaching but other age-specific activities including age appropriate, value-approved, reading (and video) materials available. It makes me appreciate even more our little children's area where there's a small reading table and a few shelves of books for them to read while their parents may be doing a bit of work around the church. 

• Love 1

I don't see how you can have that many small children and no evidence of books or toys.  I have my granddaughter several times a week, and my living room looks like a daycare.  We have lots of Dr. Seuss books and also Curious George, Princesses, etc.  We have Little People toys, puzzles and lots of learning activities.  We also (Gasp!) watch television.  Shows like Bubble Guppies, Peppa Pig, and UmiZoomi teach manners and math skills.  When my little sweetie is tired, she brings me a book and asks to sit in my lap and read.  Such wonderful moments!

Does anybody play with those Duggar children?  Do they even know how to play?  Nobody seems to be at or near grade level for anything. 

Somebody get those kids some PlayDoh!  We are always making pies, or people, or animals with it.  Kids need to be imaginative and curious, not just little compliant lumps.

• Love 4

I don't see how you can have that many small children and no evidence of books or toys. I have my granddaughter several times a week, and my living room looks like a daycare. We have lots of Dr. Seuss books and also Curious George, Princesses, etc. We have Little People toys, puzzles and lots of learning activities. We also (Gasp!) watch television. Shows like Bubble Guppies, Peppa Pig, and UmiZoomi teach manners and math skills. When my little sweetie is tired, she brings me a book and asks to sit in my lap and read. Such wonderful moments!

Does anybody play with those Duggar children? Do they even know how to play? Nobody seems to be at or near grade level for anything.

Somebody get those kids some PlayDoh! We are always making pies, or people, or animals with it. Kids need to be imaginative and curious, not just little compliant lumps.

I've always wondered too about why we don't see toys laying around. They could even make homemade Playdoh. I remember seeing puzzle pieces on the dining room table in one episode. It looked like smaller pieces from a 1000 piece puzzle & Jackson & lost girls we're working on it but it didn't seem like much was done. I'm sure this was all staged for TV because I can't see them at their ages & with their hyper personalities being able to sit still & concentrate on a larger piece puzzle. I see that group esp Jackson throwing the pieces around not putting them together.
  • Love 1

LOL on the screen name Homeperm! Love it!!

When is homefoolingskooling going on if those kids are always being dragged around on the political bus from hell touring around the country for faith, family and freedom tour?

http://thebatesfamily.com/rally-with-the-duggars/

I too would like to know about the School of the Stink Bus. Of course, Boob's & MEchelle's reply would be that they are learning by being at the rallies. I'm sure there's no beforehand planning for their lessons (if they do actually do schoolwork) like researching about the states they are going to, how many miles they are traveling for math lessons, etc.
  • Love 1