Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

On 2/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Is that Jessa (next to Jordyn, wearing the weird potato sack looking thingy)? It kind of looks like her, but the tan get-up is... what? It looks like a strange baby-wearing contraption, but Jessa doesn't have a baby small enough to wear. Also she's not tagged on the top with everyone else. Could be Johannah, but again, what the heck is she wearing? It looks like a potato sack top with some of the potatoes left inside.

They all look awful -- seriously. As grainy as the picture is, you can still tell who the non-Duggars are because their clothes fit. Shapeless, unflattering sacks (and apparently one literal sack). They have better roles models all around them, but they're Duggars and they know best and have no reason to try anything new.

• Love 2
Just now, Jeanne222 said:

Did he, forgot his name, lose a lot of weight?  He's the plumber right.

Is he the plumber, or is Josie's husband? I can't keep them straight. But I don't remember any of the Bates SsIL being overweight.

• Love 1

What is it with the ripped Jean's? Is it supposed to be some kind of fashion statement? Because I don't think it looks good on anyone,  much less a baby. And those pants Layla is in, kind of look like they were done that way on PURPOSE and whomever did them, over did them.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Those ripped baby jeans are...something. 😮 I will admit to thinking that adult-styled clothing on babies is kind of funny and adorable in many cases (if I'd had boys, I totally would have dressed them in a three piece suit with bow tie for their first Christmas, and I thought baby jeans on my daughters were super cute looking on occasion even though they weren't the softest of choices), but those jeans are over the top. Especially paired with the tank top. 😐

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Did he, forgot his name, lose a lot of weight?  He's the plumber right.

I don't remember Evan's face looking so gaunt, so it appears that he did. 

Layla still isn't growing into her looks, poor kid. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The Duggars and these other families have provided much food for thought (and entertainment) with their clothing choices. But I just can't, with Layla's outfit. I'd rather see her in a dress w/leggings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMIQSyjBxc7/

Is it just me, or does it seem Carlin is taking style inspiration, including for this look on the baby, from the Kardashians?

I know I have seen Carlin's hair, Carlin's all denim look and Carlin's makeup on a Kardashian or two.   They also are fond of dressing their babies/children in adult clothing looks.  

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Is it just me, or does it seem Carlin is taking style inspiration, including for this look on the baby, from the Kardashians?

I know I have seen Carlin's hair, Carlin's all denim look and Carlin's makeup on a Kardashian or two.   They also are fond of dressing their babies/children in adult clothing looks.  

Yikes. Wouldn't that be something?! From Laura Ingalls to Kim K.

• LOL 8

Yikes, that baby is wearing a LOOK. The string vest with the jeans that are more hole than jean and the hair in the tiniest ponytail in the world on the very top of her head 😂 Thank god Layla is too young to know or care. Everyone has fashion fails, but maybe Carlin needs to remember to dress the baby more like a baby and less like a barbie doll 😎

• Love 8
8 hours ago, beckie said:

What is it with the ripped Jean's? Is it supposed to be some kind of fashion statement? Because I don't think it looks good on anyone,  much less a baby. And those pants Layla is in, kind of look like they were done that way on PURPOSE and whomever did them, over did them.

They used to be 'in' in the early 90s. I remember wearing a pair in middle school. I've never liked wearing ripped jeans or pants to school or work. I always liked them being the comfy clothes like wearing sweats. Something to throw on when your going to be home all day and don't have to go anywhere. 

• Love 1

I still feel a little sorry for the Duggar 18. They were born into a cult. And for the most part, the cult worked for them. They were raised on TV and for the most part, that worked for them. And this latest Josh scandal has probably turned their lives upside down, and they have done nothing to deserve that.

But now is the time to shit or get off the pot. If the adult kids don't make a move now and figure out how to support themselves without JB and TLC, what little sympathy and empathy I have will wane.

I'm not sure how many of them can shake the fear they've been raised with. I think Joe and Kendra will have the hardest time pivoting as her parents seem to be fully swept up into Gothard and Fundyland, and that makes surviving in the real world a challenge.

Then there's Jessa. Jessa, who I think has the worst characteristics of both her parents, but has had enough feedback from the real world to make her think a little is, IMO, held back by real Gothard and Jesus fears.

Goofy and quiet JD. Is he just goofy and quiet, or is he fully into the Gothard side of things?

Jing, Jer, Joy and Austin will figure things out, but Jing and Jer will struggle if whatever they do doesn't involve fame. Justin and Claire will likely be fine.

As for Josiah and Lauren and Jana, and the rest of them, I have no clue of how they'll manage all this.

I think its going to be hard for all of them. First they all lived cushy lives for basically existing and then there's that heavy and pesky Gothard they're carrying on their backs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
15 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Goofy and quiet JD. Is he just goofy and quiet, or is he fully into the Gothard side of things?

He does his wife's nails because he doesn't want another man touching her hands wants her to spend time with him not someone else and he's really not that good at it, so I'm pretty sure he's as into Gothard as Jessa and Joe.

Edited by Nysha
Re-watched the nail polishing clip and I was wrong.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Nysha said:

He does his wife's nails because he doesn't want another man touching her hands and he's really not that good at it, so I'm pretty sure he's as into Gothard as Jessa and Joe.

Since when do you need to worry about a man doing your nails? Nail salons are almost exclusively women.  Sounds like an excuse not to let her do something nice for herself. 

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Since when do you need to worry about a man doing your nails? Nail salons are almost exclusively women.  Sounds like an excuse not to let her do something nice for herself. 

He went with her the first time before they were married and that was the end of that. He watched what the guy person did and figured it couldn't be that hard.

Edited by Nysha
I was wrong.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

That sounds possessive and potentially dangerous.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, beckie said:

Maybe she likes him doing her nails and doesn't have a problem with it.

Unfortunately, I don’t think she has enough agency of her own to reveal her true feelings either way.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

He went with her the first time and that was the end of that. He watched what the guy did and figured it couldn't be that hard.

Did JD say it was a man who did her nails? I watched that segment but it was some time ago. I recall him saying something about spending that time with his wife rather than Abbie spending time with someone else. Not that it makes him look better. I think it was due to Duggar cheapness. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

That sounds possessive and potentially dangerous.

It comes off so creepy. For many women a salon visit is one of the few times they treat themselves. It's a chance to get out of the house, relax and not have to think for a few hours. And if JD was being cheap, that's even worse. Last time I checked, flying was a pretty pricey hobby. A $20 manicure is small potatoes by comparison.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Did JD say it was a man who did her nails? I watched that segment but it was some time ago. I recall him saying something about spending that time with his wife rather than Abbie spending time with someone else. Not that it makes him look better. I think it was due to Duggar cheapness. 

You're right, he did it to spend time with his wife. That's the only episode I actually watched last season and I was sure it seemed creepy and controlling, but I just re-watched it and it's kind of cute.

John Duggar paints his wife's nails.

• Love 6

Derick polished Jill's toes in one episode--I think she was getting ready for a wedding.  I thought maybe it is a Fundy thing, but the "girls" have been shown at the nail salon, so maybe not.  It may just be JD's control.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think she has enough agency of her own to reveal her true feelings either way.

Of all the women who have married into the family,  I think Abbie has more agency than the rest.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Derick polished Jill's toes in one episode--I think she was getting ready for a wedding.  I thought maybe it is a Fundy thing, but the "girls" have been shown at the nail salon, so maybe not.  It may just be JD's control.

I think that was Jessa’s wedding, Jill was pregnant and could not paint her toe nails. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm trying to figure out which ones of the Js and spouses would be able to survive and even thrive at an actual job, managed by someone else.

Abbie.  I wish she had taken the time to get her RN. She could certainly support her family as the sole breadwinner with that money. A little more challenging as an LPN, but still possible. 

J.D. maybe. Derick, yes. Jer, yes as a pretentious assistant fast food manager.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9

Ben may need to find a better position at a different church.

Joe has a real estate license, which he might have to learn how to use. 

Considering the rumors that JB is buying up tons of properties in Northwest AR and raising rents afterward, the family might be okay. And Joe can get business if he's his father's realtor.

• Love 1

Thinking about the Duggars working in the real world:

My husband works in construction doing trade work. It requires following directions to a tee, keeping a clean workspace, arriving on time, keeping the client happy, keeping a lot of other people happy, and a ton of problem solving skills. I would say after all that does is matter how much experience the tech has.

Given the lack of accountability and lack of humility the Duggars have, it’s going to be a rough transition to gainful employment. I foresee a lot of, “this is the way I have always done it” and that not flying when you need projects to end early or on time and not wasting time and materials cleaning up “this is how I have always done it” mistakes.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 3:20 AM, Temperance said:

Considering the rumors that JB is buying up tons of properties in Northwest AR and raising rents afterward, the family might be okay. And Joe can get business if he's his father's realtor.

But that's the thing Joe isn't his father's realtor, for anything. JB uses Tom Joseph for everything Duggar. Jason supposedly builds a house (no contractor's license) Tom Joseph lists and sells. Justin's flip, again not Joe, Tom Joseph. JB had several million of vacant property up for sale last year through Tom Joseph - not one thing through the 3 sons with real estate licenses. (one lot in front of the apparently going nowhere "luxury RV resort" was listed for a million, no takers yet from what I can find)

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 10
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

But that's the thing Joe isn't his father's realtor, for anything. JB uses Tom Joseph for everything Duggar. Jason supposedly builds a house (no contractor's license) Tom Joseph lists and sells. Justin's flip, again not Joe, Tom Joseph. JB had several million of vacant property up for sale last year through Tom Joseph - not one thing through the 3 sons with real estate licenses. (one lot in front of the apparently going nowhere "luxury RV resort" was listed for a million, no takers yet from what I can find)

Sadly, it makes perfect sense, well, for JB. If Joe sells properties and earns commissions he won’t be completely financially dependent on JB. And JB won’t have that because although they repeatedly lie about leave and cleave, JB must have all his adult children under his thumb. When Derick decided to stop playing JB’s games, he punished Jill by restricting her access to the TTH. It’s all about control for that despicable man.

I do wonder what’s his hold on JD, who has a commercial pilot’s license, and is also an instructor. JD could work for someone else and make a decent living. I’m probably confusing him with Nathan Bates, but I thought JD was close to get his jet certification. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 3:20 AM, Temperance said:

Are the rumors credible? Do they say why he's doing that, other than to be a dick? 

I agree with all those who have pointed out the difficulties of adjusting to life where operating on "Duggar Time" will get you fired and "we've always done it this way, we learned by watching others" won't fly (haha). 

I feel sorry for the Duggarlings. They're fucked, and I think some of them (Jessa, Josiah) might even know it. It would be easier to be dumb and vapid, than to be bright and know your parents screwed you for life. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Are the rumors credible? Do they say why he's doing that, other than to be a dick?

JB has been buying property in NW Arkansas for a long time. JB and Meechelle have two trusts that have quite a bit of commercial property and vacant land. Also a Duggar Property llc. they shift things back and forth between the 3 fairly regularly.

the new thing seems to be individual, vacant subdivision lots in Bella Vista. jed, Jason, Josiah, dwain swanson (lauren's dad) have all purchased through their respective llcs since Jan. Katie's dad Kory also.

I looked into a some - they seem to be using info for older folks who live out of state, maybe thought to retire there but now are selling. Some cases one spouse has passed away etc

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I think the biggest losers in all of this are the little boys. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that Spurgeon, Henry, Garrett, and Gideon will be under a lifetime cloud of suspicion. With all the "great parenting" and Jesus that was thrown at Josh, he still turned into a monster, so I think they will believe it necessary to be even more draconian with these boys.

20 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think the biggest losers in all of this are the little boys. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that Spurgeon, Henry, Garrett, and Gideon will be under a lifetime cloud of suspicion. With all the "great parenting" and Jesus that was thrown at Josh, he still turned into a monster, so I think they will believe it necessary to be even more draconian with these boys.

Wasn't it Austin's parents who were featured on that show about how to raise wayward children - "world's strictest parents" or something like that? They likely think that the Duggars are spoiled and that's where it all went wrong. I'm not sure this Josh thing changes much for Gideon and the way he will be groomed.

I can never get a read on Joe. I have no idea what he thinks and feels. He has three children under the age of 3. He doesn't seem controlling like JB but Kendra is the pastor's daughter - she will be definitely be watching for "that sin."

I do think that Henry and Spurgeon are in for a tough time. Approaching 4 children in a small house with angry Jessa and dependent Ben who gave himself to jesus/ JB- tough times ahead for those two if heaven forbid they get curious.

The wild card is Jill. Before things fell apart, she said she would raise her sons the way her brothers were raised. Will she still lock any possible future sisters in their room to "keep them safe" from their sinful brothers? Hopefully, she's realized by now that this was a Smuggar thing, not an "all boys" thing. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Sorry, I was only being snarky about the "super fun" devotions Jessa and Ben had to be sure to feature in their video.   

IDK about the bar being set at just enough money to keep each kid accepting of being under JB's thumb.   For me it's just enough money to make sure they have no other options other than remaining under JB's thumb as adults -- unless any of them chooses to take a big risk, which I think is unlikely because I think they recognize if they swing and miss they'll be lucky to get back under JB's thumb and would find themselves living under even harsher strictures.   

This topic was getting too far away from Derick and Jill so I wanted to reply here.

I have yet to see JB enforce any consequences on the kids if they ever did attempt to go it alone.  All the boys appear to have been set up by JB to have employment suitable to pay for their expenses.  They just don't seem to actually work enough to accomplish that.  Meanwhile, everyone has whatever toys he/she needs for their various hobbies.  JB buys planes for JD and others to fly around in. The Lost Boys have all the necessary equipment for snowboarding.  Jana has her ever growing garden.  Jessa and Ben take family vacations, so do Joe and Kendra.  Jinger and Jeremy live a charmed life out in LA where they appear to have everything.  Whatever allowance JB gives his children is more than enough for them to have their basic needs met.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This topic was getting too far away from Derick and Jill so I wanted to reply here.

I have yet to see JB enforce any consequences on the kids if they ever did attempt to go it alone.  All the boys appear to have been set up by JB to have employment suitable to pay for their expenses.  They just don't seem to actually work enough to accomplish that.  Meanwhile, everyone has whatever toys he/she needs for their various hobbies.  JB buys planes for JD and others to fly around in. The Lost Boys have all the necessary equipment for snowboarding.  Jana has her ever growing garden.  Jessa and Ben take family vacations, so do Joe and Kendra.  Jinger and Jeremy live a charmed life out in LA where they appear to have everything.  Whatever allowance JB gives his children is more than enough for them to have their basic needs met.

I always wonder what fealty they have to pay in order to keep more than basic subsistence flowing their way?   How much latitude do they actually have in decisions and choices they make?   If JB tells them, here is the business you're going to run do they have the freedom to say no, I'd really like to be a basket weaver instead, let's set up a basket weaving company for me?   If they have somehow displeased JB will he take the snowboarding equipment and sell it secondhand?  I struggle to see that JB concedes a millimeter of his headship until and unless absolutely necessary.   Josh may have broken the glass and forced some actual change here.  

Are the companies really set up to be shells for tax purposes/shelters or other financial designs that ultimately really are for the benefit of the big pot JB runs?   IMO something in this general neighborhood would not be surprising since I've yet to see much sign that any of those business entities are being operated for the purpose they purport to be set up for. 

• Love 3
(edited)

That's all fine for now. But Jim Bob isn't going to live forever.  Do any of the kids have any idea about how he manages his money, how his real estate businesses work?  

What happens when he dies?  I somehow doubt that if Michelle outlives him she could manage everything.  The reason that he can support so many people is because his businesses are bringing in income.  If they just divide up the estate after he goes each child (maybe not Jill) will get a share of the money.  While it may be a nice sum, I doubt it will be enough to live on for the rest of their lives.  And none of them seem to have any real skills.  What happens when the money train stops? Eventually the whole house of cards is going to collapse and it will be ugly.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 10
On 5/18/2014 at 9:54 PM, galax-arena said:

Most of the Duggar recipes we hear about make me want to vomit - what's up with the family's boner for Velveeta? - but I do have to thank them for introducing me to cucumbers with salt and vinegar. They're like salt and vinegar potato chips, but with less guilt involved. 

I like the cucumbers w/salt and vinegar, but we also put sugar in ours, and sometimes sliced cherry tomatoes and spring onions.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

What happens when he dies?  I somehow doubt that if Michelle outlives him she could manage everything.  The reason that he can support so many people is because his businesses are bringing in income.  If they just divide up the estate after he goes each child (maybe not Jill) will get a share of the money.  While it may be a nice sum, I doubt it will be enough to live on for the rest of their lives.  And none of them seem to have any real skills.  What happens when the money train stops? Eventually the whole house of cards is going to collapse and it will be ugly.

I've joked about this on here before, but I am envisioning Lord of the Flies/Knives Out levels of ugly. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cjmmytunes said:

I like the cucumbers w/salt and vinegar, but we also put sugar in ours, and sometimes sliced cherry tomatoes and spring onions.

I make cucumbers and red onions with sugar and red vinegar and just a pinch of salt.

• Love 3

I know in the past I underestimated what TLC pays the Duggars, but when looking at casts of other reality shows, including the Bates, it made me think the Duggars get paid very well by TLC.

My theory is JB doles out the TLC income to the adult kids after he takes his cut. Money made elsewhere is JBs alone. JB has always made money in real estate, even before TLC came along. I think he encourages the sons to invest their TLC money in a business, like a car lot or real estate, to try and grow their TLC money, but whether they make money is on them.

Because JB is a known tightwad, I think any money he makes through real estate, rents, his cell phone tower, etc, is not used to support anyone not living in the TTH.

Going on my gut, I think JD and Joe have a more realistic picture of the future without TLC, and maybe even Jessa too. But when Counting On gets canceled I think we'll see a dramatic difference in how all the Duggars live.

• Love 7