Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

On 9/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, crazy8s said:

when these old pics come up I can just hear what Jeremy would have to say to Jinger. making fun of how ridiculous they looked, the home perms, used shoes, prairie dresses and all. though I think he bought some things used at the beginning of his pocket square fashion stage, Jinger's thrift store shopping as seen on tv would be reason for him to make fun of her and in turn boast of superiority over JB and Michelle

Like Jill and the alcohol conversation, I’d love to be a fly on the wall when jing and jer talk about her upbringing- the rules, the hair, the clothes. I wonder if anything substantial or meaningful is said or she just simpers and accepts his gifts of expensive shoes and clothes, and hair suggestions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

You really see the old Gothard modesty standards. In the hospital picture, Jana has two shirts and the other girls have jumpers over blouses like a school uniform. What really strikes me are the collars. Both pictures they all have collars. They don't wear collared shirts or scarves all the time now. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, drafan said:

Did she give birth to it?

Actually she looks like a vintage Chrissy Doll with "growing" hair. Ugh.

Chrissy doll's hair that you yanked out, wound in 100 times and never brushed even once

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, awaken said:

I wonder if anything substantial or meaningful is said or she just simpers and accepts his gifts of expensive shoes and clothes, and hair suggestions. 

I'm not convinced either of them are capable of having a meaningful or substantial conversation about anything. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, floridamom said:

Look at the expression on Jana's face. She's thinking, oh, no, here's another one for me to take of.

14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Joy too. Like, harumph, another freaking baby.

The one who somehow looks genuinely happy is Jill... who now wears pants, drinks alcohol, and sends her son to public school. I’m still fascinated that the best soldier became the biggest rebel, although I understand that that’s a common phenomenon.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, SMama said:

Who is the young lady with the pink headband?

She must be Susanna, Anna's younger sister. 

From the Left; it's Jessa, Susanna, Jinger, Priscilla, Jill, Jana, Joy. and Anna is the horizontal young lady and the first one to get married of all these young ladies. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, drafan said:

Fake. Remember who was living in the house back then.....

That photo is from that era since we know Joy was 5 when she was victimized by her brother.  She looks to be just a few years older in that photo.  So, yeah, I don't think they were happier, just better trained to pretend.

• Love 5

Most folks who suffer through a trauma aren't consumed by it every moment. Even many with PTSD, which I don't think any of the girls show symptoms of, can live happy productive lives. Acknowledgement and belief of the event is a large factor in healing. Whether we feel the molestations were handled properly or not, it seems the girls do. And we do know the events were acknowledged and believed.

I'm guessing the Duggar girls were relatively happy kids, even with the events that happened and even within their skewed belief system.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

Look at the texture of Jana's hair! How could she have had that mop back then  and now sports 'Marcia Brady hair"? I think Jana has changed the most of the older girls...for the better.

Clarifying to say that Jana has changed her appearance...sadly not her life...it's exactly the same now as it was back then....but she can drive.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, floridamom said:

Look at the texture of Jana's hair! How could she have had that mop back then  and now sports 'Marcia Brady hair"? I think Jana has changed the most of the older girls...for the better.

Jana looks like a victim of a home perm.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Look at the texture of Jana's hair! How could she have had that mop back then  and now sports 'Marcia Brady hair"?

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jana looks like a victim of a home perm.

Yeah, I think all the older girls used to home perm. Michelle probably still does lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

What is it with Fundy guys and nail polish? Derick has painted Jill's toes, JD does full out mani/pedis and now Carlin's husband was painting his infant daughter's toes. And maybe Chad has done Erin's?

I don't really think its creepy, but when you factor in Gothard's thing for feet, the creep-o-meter does ping a bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It is my non expert opinion, that a child with health problems should not wear nail polish. 

I agree, why have your kid breathing in those fumes. And it would need to be removed for some medical monitoring. 

It seems to me first born girls of the Bates and Duggars are treated as dolls. Something to dress up and show off. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree, why have your kid breathing in those fumes. And it would need to be removed for some medical monitoring. 

It seems to me first born girls of the Bates and Duggars are treated as dolls. Something to dress up and show off. 

Except Brooklyn Paine. 

8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It was kid-friendly polish. I think they said it was water based.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, ouinason said:

It's nice that she cares about their handwriting.  it's something that has become sorely neglected as technology takes over.  Believe me, it's annoying not being able to read your own damn grocery list.

Well, yes, but in her case these handwriting lessons are probably taking the place of a more important class. Better they have solid math and English skills than good handwriting.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 8

I’m fine with actual cursive. I heard someone in education a while back that said practicing cursive helped with some brain development and of course she could be off base because other languages don’t appear in cursive but some schools are going back to it.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3