Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I don't have a problem with the Duggars continuing to shop at thrift stores. If they purchase at a Salvation Army or Goodwill then that money goes into their programs. Those stores are a business, so they have to make money too. My problem is that the Duggars seem to find every long denim skirt ever manufactured, and Michelle keeps finding lime green shirts. She must have 20 of those, or she and that shirt are conspiring to break a Guiness record.

• Love 4

I don't have a problem with the Duggars shopping at thrift stores, either; it's really the only environmentally-friendly thing we see them doing. Also, since they shop there, I'm going to assume they donate there as well. But you know what they say about assuming...

• Love 2

I don't have a problem with the Duggars shopping at thrift stores, either; it's really the only environmentally-friendly thing we see them doing. Also, since they shop there, I'm going to assume they donate there as well. But you know what they say about assuming...

I don't have a problem with the Duggars continuing to shop at thrift stores. If they purchase at a Salvation Army or Goodwill then that money goes into their programs. Those stores are a business, so they have to make money too. 

Yea, they make plenty- 

GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.

Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.

You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.

He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#KCuvd8DjtYB258Xq.99

Yea, they make plenty- 

GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.

Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.

You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.

He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#KCuvd8DjtYB258Xq.99

I'm confused, the page you linked says the opposite of what you wrote?

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with the Duggars continuing to shop at thrift stores. If they purchase at a Salvation Army or Goodwill then that money goes into their programs. Those stores are a business, so they have to make money too. My problem is that the Duggars seem to find every long denim skirt ever manufactured, and Michelle keeps finding lime green shirts. She must have 20 of those, or she and that shirt are conspiring to break a Guiness record.

Yes, yes totally agree. While watching the episode today where MEchelle & Jessa visit the Seewalds, MEchelle had on the lime green, little puffy sleeve shirt, the long denimn skirt with the dark hose & frumpy shoes. I was thinking why she couldn't have worn something a little nicer/fancier than her usual day to day attiire. Not so much to impress the Seewalds since she had met them before, but to come across as "I took the time to look nicer today to show I care about your family." (Hope that makes sense). Gwynn, Ben's mom, had a more fashionable blouse & necklace on.
  • Love 2

I had a co-worker who only wore the same type skirts the Duggars wear & she bought most of them as jeans or pants & she would alter them herself to make them into skirts. She said at thrift stores she could get jeans for around $3-$5 & make them into skirts in a matter of minutes. I would bet the Duggars do that as well as I don't see many long denim skirts in stores anymore.

• Love 1
I had a co-worker who only wore the same type skirts the Duggars wear & she bought most of them as jeans or pants & she would alter them herself to make them into skirts. She said at thrift stores she could get jeans for around $3-$5 & make them into skirts in a matter of minutes. I would bet the Duggars do that as well as I don't see many long denim skirts in stores anymore.

I bet they do alter those pants.  There was that episode where Anna was helping the girls to make a fireman pants uniform, or whatever it was, into Gothard friendly attire.

Do a search on google for yourself  as to the amount of money that not only the CEO of Goodwill, but the people in charge of other smaller sectors  of Goodwill. I don't want to influence anyone- just tell everyone to research the charity they are giving money or items to.  Here is another article.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

It's kind of like giving $400 juicers to people that don't need it.  A waste.  

I know. People need to read the actual story at the bottom, not the incorrect one in the erroneous article being debunked. The CEO is even a different person (in case someone didn't read the whole thing). 

I know. People need to read the actual story at the bottom, not the incorrect one in the erroneous article being debunked. The CEO is even a different person (in case someone didn't read the whole thing). 

I apologize if the link is not what I was reading.  That's why I posted a second and said that everyone should do their own research.  I hate that they (Goodwill) use a loophole in the law to pay disabled employees less than minimum wage while paying several people that head up sectors in states over $350K per year - all the while paying no taxes.  

My new edit- From our research and also from a homeless vet living in our town- the one charity that really helped him was the Salvation Army.  I think they are really on the up and up and really out to help people- not pad their pockets.  I'm all for buying used clothing and donating used clothing and household items- just know where your money goes.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 Billion dollar organization. Which means about $0.93 per dollar earned, is readily available and goes back out to local charity causes... truly amazing... and well done "Sally Ann".  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 6

I know Target donates a lot of their unsold clothes to Goodwill at the end of each season. I've bought brand new Mossimo boots from Goodwill for $4. I don't know if every Target does this, but where I live they do.

That pic of Jessa looks fine to me, I wouldn't say she was wearing anything inappropriate. To me a knee length skirt is definitely modest. And I will be curious to see how her wardrobe changes once she's officially married. She might be the first lady-Duggar to wear jeans!

• Love 2

Michelle wants people to notice how modestly and frugally she dresses. She strikes me as incredibly vain, so I believe she does this on purpose. She has the means to update her look while still adhering to the silly Gothard rules. Kelly Bates manages. Michelle has a brand and she's sticking to it, even though she's starting to look like Quasimodo in drag. 

• Love 4

LOL! Also, to me it looks like the Duggars (especially Michelle) need to iron their clothes better sometimes.

Yes, you can still be modest and not look like a walking blue jean skirt with Ramen noddle hair. I try to dress modestly because of my personal preference, and I would like to think I manage to without looking like that...

• Love 2

In one of the dishing with the duggar episodes the older girls mentioned that they (the older girls) don't really shop at goodwill anymore, they shop sales at retail stores, which is totally fine... But it just bothers me because they make such a big deal out of saying how they don't need to fit in... But now that is essentially the reason they give for shopping retail now.

• Love 1

Those stores are there for those that truly need them

Goodwill actually isn't a "discount store" for the needy, and they don't present themselves as such. Getting good deals there is secondary: the profits from the retail store fund Goodwill's programs. The programs are what Goodwill uses to help others. Goodwill would love for people like the Duggars to buy up everything in stock.  But I don't think the Duggars buy much used anymore.

• Love 5

I used to work at Goodwill as a Case Manager. Donated goods are sold or recycled for job training programs. Many of the people you see at Goodwill working are learning how to hold a job....and working with coworkers who have been trained to teach them job keeping skills. Once they have those skills we place them to work elsewhere in the community.

Goodwill was recycling before it became mandatory. So if there's a hole in that shirt, donate it anyway. And thank you for donating.

• Love 6

You know, I keep seeing the commercial of Jill's wedding and I can't help but notice how frumpy she can look.  Bad complexion aside, the girl can be a knock out with a good makeover.  Same with Jana. Jessa is blessda with good looks no matter what and Jing is just Jay Leno with a perm. But Jill has that hair that would have looked beautiful on her wedding with some highlights.  It's exactly what you hear called "mousy brown".  It's not blond, nor brown. Besides it being heavy, you can see it hairsprayed together. She (actually Jana too) would look adorable with heavy, chunky blonde highlights, a blowout, layers to give it some volume.  Then teach them more makeup tips beyond black eyeliner in the waterline, and 12 oz. of bronzer. They have potential.

• Love 1

. Many of the people you see at Goodwill working are learning how to hold a job....and working with coworkers who have been trained to teach them job keeping skills. Once they have those skills we place them to work elsewhere in the community.

That might be all fine and good- but why pay them sometimes a little as 22 cents and hour while - for example- Goodwill CEO - Suncoast division of Florida (that is just one section of GW in Florida) earns over 600K a year.  I think a better way to teach someone to hold a job is to pay them a fair wage- at least minimum wage and not exploit them for your profit under the guise of non profit.  

Hey Jim Boob- are you listening here?  Maybe Jim Boob got his slave techniques from GW.  

That might be all fine and good- but why pay them sometimes a little as 22 cents and hour while - for example- Goodwill CEO - Suncoast division of Florida (that is just one section of GW in Florida) earns over 600K a year.  I think a better way to teach someone to hold a job is to pay them a fair wage- at least minimum wage and not exploit them for your profit under the guise of non profit.  

Hey Jim Boob- are you listening here?  Maybe Jim Boob got his slave techniques from GW.  

Perhaps I'm out of date on this but I was a high school resource teacher for persons with varying, sometimes multiple, disabilities. My students who became employed by Goodwill Industries were already getting SSI and sometimes other resources including supportive living. They would like not have been considered employable other than Goodwill here in our city -- at least at first. 

• Love 5

That might be all fine and good- but why pay them sometimes a little as 22 cents and hour

Not true, and illegal.

What you are talking about is a different division - the seriously disabled are paid what they are able to do- if their disability prevents them from being "gainfully" employed, why can't they go to "work", earn a piecemeal rate and enjoy socializing at their level with their peers? Their productivity is measured daily. It is called "supported employment".

• Love 6

Not true, and illegal.

What you are talking about is a different division - the seriously disabled are paid what they are able to do- if their disability prevents them from being "gainfully" employed, why can't they go to "work", earn a piecemeal rate and enjoy socializing at their level with their peers? Their productivity is measured daily. It is called "supported employment".

It should be illegal- but I won't argue about it.  People can do their own research.  I don't think execs from across the country of Goodwill should be paid upwards of $600K along with many other perks.  Too much!  All I am saying is investigate your charities.  Shop where you like but know who you donate to. 

But like I said, I think JIm Boob has learned something from them as he was quite successful in getting Ben to be his little slave boy.  And from the looks of that massive amount of stuff in that building, the Duggars are hoarders!  I'll bet the only reason they had that sale and gave the money to charity is because they needed a tax write off - because they are making so much freaking money!

• Love 1

Is there any actual child rearing in the Duggar household? Seems like it's mostly damage control for the howlers and lost girls. I know Jana is probably trying her hardest, but when you're the only one seen as any authority over all those little kids I am sure it's exhausting and there are days where she just wants to give up. Oh, and their jurisdictions....if they even still follow those anymore.  With Jessa courting and Jill gone I'm guessing Jana, Joy, and Jinger are going to have a lot of slack to pick up since the boys don't really do chores and the lost girls are probably too young to be a lot of help. God forbid Michelle step in to lend a hand around the house.

• Love 1

I posted something similar in the Josh & Anna thread, but does anyone know if the Duggar girls are allowed to dye their hair? I'm pretty sure Michelle does (nobody can have that many kids and not be even a little bit grey!), but what about the daughters? It would seem that they should be ok with it, provided it's not an unnatural color, and there's the whole thing about practically requiring the girls to have permed hair. They have seemed to relax on that lately though, with the younger girls. Maybe it's cos it was found out Gothard was a molester, and they're disassociating with him? Either way, it was still ridiculous to take your preacher's personal preferences for women into account with your family. I wonder if JimBob really does like the curly hair, or if it's just cos Gothard said so?

OK, this is a mess on so many levels.

1) The 1988 bi-level mullet-do.

2) The insert of curtain-quality brocade. That thing looks like an assisted-living bib.

3) The necklace which looks like she spit up tapioca on her assisted-living bib.

4) The wintery satin fabric of the whole thing, which is too tight and also choking her (which might explain the tapioca blob).

5) The groomsman boutonniere.

6) The nutty look on her face.

7) The styrofoam cup.

Otherwise....um....her nalis look nice?

• Love 2

The fundamentalist groups I know (who could be mistaken for the Duggars in passing) are allowed to dye their hair. But they aren't Gothard followers, so I can't say for sure about the Duggars.

This is waaaay back but I thought in the episode maybe of 17K&C when they talk about money saving, the girls talked about doing highlighting at home. Maybe it was just perms/curling, but I feel like that's what I remember.

• Love 1

Not just current media, but it is sad to me that these kids have never read the classics.

Anne of Green Gables- too much sass & disrespect to elders, public school

Little Women- Jo front hugs & kisses mr. Bhaer before marriage, she has a job, she lives at a boarding house with members of the opposite sex.

Dickens- too dark, although M'chelle & Boob might like the child labor mentioned in nearly every book

Pride & Prejudice- dancing/hand holding before courtship, one girl runs away with a man before marriage

I could go on & on. It's a shame, because reading was my greatest joy as a child.

• Love 8

They read Little House on the Praire and she kisses before marriage (upon engagement).  Laura is incredibly free spirited and defies authority, it's a theme of the books, even when she was young.

I think the reason they may have never read (which we don't really know) the classics mentioned above is very few of them can read well enough to read those books.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 2

Twelve-year-old Joy Anna was shown reading a Boxcar Children (favorites of my third grade classmates in the day) book for assigned school reading, so I wonder how many of these kids read even at grade level.  It's clearly not expected of them, so I wonder how many of them take the initiative to go beyond that if they can.  I remember a rumor that Jill and Jinger snuck a Twilight book, and while I'm sure that's 100% fiction, man, I wish it were true.  Not even because they'd dare to be subversive (though that would be awesome), but because it would mean they went out of their way to read an actual book that was somewhat age-appropriate (this was a handful of years back, when Jinger would have been about Bella Swan's age, which I assume is the target demographic for that stuff, anyway). 

Still, they clearly allow some media that isn't "perfect."  They watch The Sound of Music (the one piece of media I will agree with them on; that movie is an all-time favorite of mine), and Maria kisses Captain von Trapp before they're even officially courting!  (Of course five seconds later he asks to marry her, but still.)  It's too bad Michelle didn't learn any lessons on childrearing from Maria, or recognize the "parental coldness is bad" lesson Georg had to learn.  They say they choose media that will teach good morals and show them how to correctly respond to situations in their lives, but I guess like so many other things, none of that extends to Michelle. 

I wonder if they're allowed to watch the Little House TV series.  I can't help but smile at the idea of them not pre-screening episodes, only to be sitting in slack-jawed uncomfortable silence watching Sylvia be raped by the guy in the mime mask. 

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 2

Why don't they come out with their own Fundy clothing line? Surely the girls could come up with a better swim suit that stays down over one's knees-and Dickies for wedding dresses!

• Love 1

Ah ta, Looks a bit like croquettes. Do you have croquettes in the US?

Greasy, fatty, unhealthy though......

Yes, we have chicken croquettes, salmon croquettes, potato croquettes etc.  Basically a small mound of something bound together somehow and fried.  Unless I'm mistaken, Duggars buy dog-food sized bags of frozen tater tots.  

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

What I don't get about the Duggars' swimsuits is the guys get to wear wetsuits...so why not the girls? They're legit swimwear and would probably be a lot more comfortable than whatever those bizarre garments are they use now. And there's just as much coverage.

• Love 1

What I don't get about the Duggars' swimsuits is the guys get to wear wetsuits...so why not the girls? They're legit swimwear and would probably be a lot more comfortable than whatever those bizarre garments are they use now. And there's just as much coverage.

I'm so with you on that.  How in the heck is it more modest to wear a dress that can float up to your head and defraud everyone in a 1/2 mile vicinity  and not let the poor girls wear something like board shorts and a rash guard shirt.  Both don't hold water and dry really quickly- unlike the thick cotton mess that MEchelle has put together as a swimsuit.  

I've been wondering about this lately (because it's not like I have anything else I should be doing...), do any of the older Duggar girls have naturally curly hair or is it all permed/curled/etc? I assume with the littlest girls, like Josie the Wonder Miracle, it's natural, because I can't imagine trying to get a child that small to sit still and have her hair permed or curled. Plus lots of people have curly hair as babies/small children that then goes to straight or wavy once they grow up.

They read Little House on the Praire and she kisses before marriage (upon engagement). Laura is incredibly free spirited and defies authority, it's a theme of the books, even when she was young.

I think the reason they may have never read (which we don't really know) the classics mentioned above is very few of them can read well enough to read those books.

Laura also only has one child and tells her husband, Almonzo, that she will not say she will obey him in her wedding vows. (Gasp! Scandalous!) Also, she didn't like doing "women's chores" and instead preferred to work in the fields with her father.

It is very sad if the older children's reading level is not high enough to read some of the classics mentioned.

And LOL at the Slyvia mention! And Pa says damn in an episode, and Laura and Almonzo kiss before marriage! Quick, don't be defrauded!

Edited by heckyeahheartland
  • Love 2

I wonder if they're allowed to watch the Little House TV series. I can't help but smile at the idea of them not pre-screening episodes, only to be sitting in slack-jawed uncomfortable silence watching Sylvia be raped by the guy in the mime mask.

Thanks for the reminder. Sylvia scrambling up that ladder still haunts my nightmares. Poor girl. She and Albert could've been so happy together, all cute and lispy.

I was watching a violin recital today, & it reminded me of how the Duggars all used to play violin.

I remember before they built the big house, in general it seems more strict & structured. Violin lessons & homeschooling around the table by J'chelle, dressing alike in polo shirts & skirts, etc. Everyone had their jurisdictions.

I'm not a regular watcher but now it seems way more "loosey-goosey", for lack of a better word. More loud & chaotic. No real rules in place.

Maybe that's what you get when you have kids raising kids. Or you play up for the camera with contrived plots instead of showing typical days in the family's life.

The swim wear is like a wet suit with the modesty dress. I remember checking them out once and the company was going out of business or for sale. Can't imagine actually swimming in the dress. Cumbersome. And I guess MEchelle needs to do some after - market modifications to make sure those defrauding knees never need to be blacked out again. Oh, the horror.