Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Make Room for Baby

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I did call it on the JoKen board that Kendra used her mom’s doctor. Kendra and Mrs. Caldwell may be many things but they don’t strike me as reckless.

That’s another reason why I think the Caldwell’s knew.  My first OB appointment was 8/9 weeks.  It took about a month to get that appointment.  Kendra probably had to set it up once she peed on the stick, especially to get permission to have the cameras in the appointment.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

BTW: My 19 yr old niece will be hiking through France next month with friends.  This is what 19 yr olds should be doing not marrying, going on honeymoons and having babies. 

my 21 yo just got back from a research expedition in South Africa - I agree!!  Too young to settle down.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Did anyone else notice that the Duggars drove their airport shuttle to Joe’s house?

Yes! Lazy jerks. The weather was perfectly fine. Get off your butts and walk up the hill.

• Love 10

Now, did I hear right? When either Joe or Si ( I can’t remember who) was explaining courtship vs dating I could swear I heard him  say “it’s not like a one night shag”.  That can’t  be right,  can it?!!!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Did Si say “one night shack” or “one night shag” when talking about the differences between dating and courtship?

ETA: I’m glad the midwife told Joy her diet needed to improve.  That’s been a long time coming for the entire family, and Joy is really too young to be having issues related to her diet.  She needs to take better care of herself. 

One night shag! 

I also just heard Josiah, when driving with the Swanson kids, refer to ice cream as being so good that “it’s like  heroin.” Maybe he said something different, but I know I heard him say heroin! 

(My TV’s closed captions are currently wonky, so I didn’t have them on. Since no one on TV enunciates or speaks clearly, captions are always on, but they’re especially helpful for snarking on the trashtastic TLC “talent” that I just can’t quit.

Edited by Bridget
Scarlett45 beat me to it!
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, woot said:

I thought the exact same thing - her parents did not seem as excited as you'd expect for first time grandparents - perhaps they also didn't appreciate being told with the entire Duggar crew in tow. 

I got the impression that her parents already knew, which makes sense.  I can't imagine she'd wait a while to tell her mom!

• Love 8

I will (sheepishly) admit that I love Jeremy and Jinger.  I think Jeremy is VERY good looking, and I think they genuinely love one another and will do their best to "shake off" the Duggar crap!  They are smart to stay farrrr away from the compound and I saw Jinger in an IG story/question last week respond that they never planned to move back to Arkansas!  Good for them!  I do wish someone would explain to Jinger how to properly apply eye liner, however!  Yikes!

What does Joe do for a living?  That house and furniture was lovely!  Very stylish and trendy!  Where do they get the money for that when A&J live in a hole??  The contrast is frightening.

• Love 16

I had a feeling the answer to all Sigh’s Toastmasters ice breaker questions were going to be some variation of “Whatever it is you like” a la Coming to America. I am not against arranged marriage as I have friends who’ve chosen that route (emphasis on choice), however, I don’t know any parent in any culture who would approve of their child being served trash scraped out of a styrofoam take out container, as part of their courtship. No ma’am, Pam. That is an insult not only to that poor, dumb girl, but I would think to her parents as well. I hope they’re not so far up the Duggars behinds that they didn’t object to how their daughter was treated. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Jer comes from a family that healthy food was served at mealtimes.

As an athlete, meals and diet were as important part of his fitness.

It makes sense that he expects that he and Jinge will eat healthy.

He must still be horrified watching the full quorum of Duggs feeding at the trough.....

And all the garbage they generate, using paper plates and damned plastic utensils.  That shit makes me mad.  They have a freaking army for loading their dishwashers, why the hell do they feel entitled to be lazy as fuck?

• Love 18
1 minute ago, xwordfanatik said:

And all the garbage they generate, using paper plates and damned plastic utensils.  That shit makes me mad.  They have a freaking army for loading their dishwashers, why the hell do they feel entitled to be lazy as fuck?

I used to feel that way, and maybe that really is the case, but, I heard a fellow on NPR a while back talking about just that and he didn't take a position, for or against, either disposable or dishwasher, etc.  Said sometimes it takes more resources to produce and clean dishes.  Of course styrofoam doesn't ever go away, as far as I know, so maybe things are different now, or styrofoam is made to biodegrade (is that the word?)  Still seems wasteful to keep buying  disposable stuff.  I don't.  Anyone with good info on this? 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I totally agree, but I can’t snark on SWAN for one main reason. I think it’s safe to assume the children are from low or moderate income families.  People in poorer neighborhoods generally don’t have access to extracurricular activities like piano and violin lessons, but SWAN gives them that opportunity.  Is SWAN going to address the social injustice of incarceration disproportionality in communities of color, over-populated prisons or unduly harsh sentences? Absolutely not.  Will SWAN provide kids in shit-tastic situations the opportunity to develop talents and use their energy in a positive way? Absolutely yes!

Besides, I worked in a prison and you would not believe the level of talent behind bars. One of these kids may get a scholarship to Juilliard.  There really were inmates that talented.  Furniture building, cake decorating, art, music, you name it, they could do it.  SWAN also seems like a perfectly acceptible solution from a middle-class white lady with good intentions.  

Yes I agree with you. There are a lot of talented young people/kids in this world who didn’t have a chance to develop their talents due to circumstance. I’m sure the art programs do a great job of developing these kids on an emotional and social level.

I can see why an evangelical Christian like Diana Vuluo would support such a program- what a better way to share her religious beliefs with kids that are open minds and literal sponges? (I’m sure that’s a part of it).  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

I do wish someone would explain to Jinger how to properly apply eye liner, however!  Yikes!

Really? I think Jinger's makeup looks pretty good now, and compared to her sisters, she's practically an expert when it comes to application. I mean, look what Jill and Joy routinely look like? (And in any case, I think Joy doesn't enjoy wearing makeup, so should just go au naturel since that's how she's comfortable.)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Did Si say “one night shack” or “one night shag” when talking about the differences between dating and courtship?

ETA: I’m glad the midwife told Joy her diet needed to improve.  That’s been a long time coming for the entire family, and Joy is really too young to be having issues related to her diet.  She needs to take better care of herself. 

Just like the producers ask her about her mom & sisters health during pregnancy, they did that because they know none of the sisters got any medical care at all while expecting.  She stammered around trying to answer that without saying the obvious.

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I used to feel that way, and maybe that really is the case, but, I heard a fellow on NPR a while back talking about just that and he didn't take a position, for or against, either disposable or dishwasher, etc.  Said sometimes it takes more resources to produce and clean dishes.  Of course styrofoam doesn't ever go away, as far as I know, so maybe things are different now, or styrofoam is made to biodegrade (is that the word?)  Still seems wasteful to keep buying  disposable stuff.  I don't.  Anyone with good info on this? 

Could be, but I just hate hearing about landfills closing because of too much disposable crap being thrown away.

Or, maybe I'm just against people breeding themselves into oblivion a la Duggars and others who don't avail themselves of family planning.  Expecting older female children to essentially raise their own siblings?  Uh-uh, not in my world.

Nothing against what you posted, @lookeyloo.  I enjoy your posts (and your avatar is cool :)

26 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Could be, but I just hate hearing about landfills closing because of too much disposable crap being thrown away.

Or, maybe I'm just against people breeding themselves into oblivion a la Duggars and others who don't avail themselves of family planning.  Expecting older female children to essentially raise their own siblings?  Uh-uh, not in my world.

Nothing against what you posted, @lookeyloo.  I enjoy your posts (and your avatar is cool :)

Gotcha. I agree with what you said. Saw a documentary about landfills. It is horrifying actually. And thanks!

• Love 1

They may burn their trash...they may not have municipal trash service in the Holler...

People burn or take stuff to the dump themselves.

Can you imagine how nasty that sectional sofa is...the one in their warehouse/shed.....Accumulation of drool, boogers, diaper leaks, dandruff, dead skin, barf, toe jam......ick.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I don’t know any parent in any culture who would approve of their child being served trash scraped out of a styrofoam take out container, as part of their courtship. No ma’am, Pam. That is an insult not only to that poor, dumb girl, but I would think to her parents as well. 

That was so incredibly tacky. It wasn't even like they were Si's leftovers. They belonged to one of the random J'kids, and given the lack of attention to health and hygiene in that house, I wouldn't have taken a bite out of it if you paid me. God only knows whose grimy paws were digging through that food. 

• Love 18

The reason they drove to Joe's house is to keep everyone clean...looking at you, Josie.

Can you imagine the amount of dirt they would track into the house if they crossed their field and newly landscaped yard into the house.

Also get them all there at one time or people would straggle in...the filming crew must be so sick of them always being tardy...Get the Reveal filmed and put in the can.....

• Love 3

Did anybody catch Johanna's bored out of her mind expression while "chaperoning?" These little kids should not be having to do something so mind numbingly dull! Why can't they have a conversation in the kitchen area instead of watching the couple like hawks?

i like Lauren, and I get the same feeling I did with young Bin. She's a sweet girl, but should really wait to get married. She's the fun, silly kind of girl you would enjoy having in your freshman dorm, as you watched TV together and talked about your crushes on the cute senior in one of your classes. Josiah just seems to treat her generically, like any Christian girl would do. I honestly don't see Lauren as a member of a couple at this point, because she seems too immature...not in a way that is a defect in character, for she's sweet and likeable, but because she needs to grow up. In the real world, I see her giggling and laughing about crushes with dorm mates for a couple more years while having the occasional date to a dance or formal. I could see her maybe having her first serious relationship near the end of college, once she has grown out of the giggly stage, and being a great partner by 25-26 or so. Same way I felt about Bin. I see her exploring her own interests and learning about boys for a while before becoming a mature adult. But alas, fundie world doesn't give her that luxury. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 9

From watching Si's first made meal for his girlfriend being random leftovers from other family member's meals, it just reinforces to me that anyone younger than Jinger or Jessa was raised not as an individual but as part of a pack.  The older girls and 2 oldest boys had manners and some skilled (however lightly) interest in the world.  Then you get to Joe and Joy and Josiah, etc., they don't understand social norms or cues, probably because they were raised by children.  The older ones would've received potentially, a better education and time with parents and outside friends.

Its really nice to see Jinger blossom and become apart of Jeremy's family.  She's getting a normal life, I hope she lets Felicity go to school.

Good for Jana for making something of herself.  It would be nice if she could take some business classes and hopefully escape the compound one day.

I wonder what house Josiah will end up with.  Joy and Jessa drew the short straws with homes (though techinically Joy's is really something Austen owns).  Joe's is probably the nicest since Jill's first house.  I think Josiah might want to live further away, but he seems to literally have no life skills.  Maybe Lauren can help with that or Lauren's parents.

• Love 11

Since there are so many producer scripted story lines how about getting a local  cooking teacher come in and teach Bin, Joe, JD, Si, Jessa, the next few Dugg boys some basic knife skills, basic cooking techniques?

Stop opening cans and start sauteing, steaming, roasting the vegetables from Jana's garden other than covering them with cream of mushroom sauce or melted cheese.

Why can't they learn how to cook fresh, healthy food instead of the foods that leads them down the road to pre-diabetes, pre high blood pressure...just looking at Ma/Pa Dugg's puffy, bloated unfit bodies should scare them into cooking healthy...

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I definitely heard Josiah say "one night shag"!  I was a bit shocked!  He was explaining to us , yet again, the differences between dating and courting.

• Love 6

I heard "one night shag" also. I can't believe that these people actually believe that traditional dating is all about one night stands. I'm sorry, but I don't consider 'one night stands' as dating myself. I would classify that as a 'pick up', not dating. Their parents haven't explained real life to them much, have they. That is NOT the difference between dating and courting, Josiah....

Dating does NOT ever have to include sex. Many people date and don't sleep with each other at all. If they get married, then they do. It's possible.

• Love 22
8 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Joy isn't a girly girl like her sisters and sister in laws, she's always gravitated to the boys and what they did...

She was born before a bunch of boys, and when she was younger, she was always with them. She struck me as a tomboy. I think if she had been allowed to live a regular life, she would've gotten into sports or fitness somehow. 

• Love 4

FYI:  If you are looking for videos or reviews about this episode online, you have to look for: Counting On, Season 8, Episode 2, Make Room for Baby.  The second half of this two-hour show is: Counting On, Season 8, Episode 3, Jinger and Jeremy's Little Secret.

That is all.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Joy lives on chicken tenders. What a shock. 

Have we seen Joedra’s log cabin before? I didn’t need to see This Old House level of detail, but it would have been interesting to see something before it was 99% done and Duggarized.  

I now know why every piano I’ve seen is a black upright Yamaha.

Famy returns from the wilderness, and she’s brought her mother with her. 

“I just have a happy heart because of Jeeezassss!” With Josie singing The Star-Spangled Banner as the B-side. No thanks.  

Children eat ice cream ? ?. Yawn.   

And this is harsh and political, but American ?? children ?????? Of jailbird?? parents ????don’t need music ? ?? lessons, they need America ?? to stop ? imprisoning ⚖️? people at a rate that’s like 5 times the rate of the rest of the developed world. Becoming twentieth runner up on American Idol won’t help that girl. 

A-freaking-men! We build jails faster than we build schools in the United States of America. We have a war on drugs that does nothing but separate families and put them in a viscous cycle that is hard to get out. And we imprison minors, especially African Americans, at such a disproportional rate is makes me ashamed to be from here. While I'll give it to Diane to focus on the kids, we need more people focusing on the root of the problem not the byproduct. 

• Love 16
50 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Since there are so many producer scripted story lines how about getting a local  cooking teacher come in and teach Bin, Joe, JD, Si, Jessa, the next few Dugg boys some basic knife skills, basic cooking techniques?

Stop opening cans and start sauteing, steaming, roasting the vegetables from Jana's garden other than covering them with cream of mushroom sauce or melted cheese.

Why can't they learn how to cook fresh, healthy food instead of the foods that leads them down the road to pre-diabetes, pre high blood pressure...just looking at Ma/Pa Dugg's puffy, bloated unfit bodies should scare them into cooking healthy...

I noticed when Josiah as preparing faitas, he sauted FROZEN chopped onions and FROZEN chicken bits.  This adds a lot of water to the saute pan and it's hard to get a good sear.  Also, I peeked insde the fridge when Josiah was sorting through the gross leftovers, and truely, for such a huge family, there is very little in that fridge.  4 big bottles of coffee creamers, and a few packages of precut salad and not a whole lot more.

• Love 5

I rewatched the sections I fell asleep on last night. Few observations: 

Cant believe how young Joken looked last night. 

Can't believe differences in the houses: JoyAustin looks like 'the Before' and Joken's 'the After."   I thought the cabinet area under the island was made up of mismatched  ugly tiles when i saw it before. Turned out to be distressed wood. Not sure if Joy even liked it.  I thought I  heard her say it didn't match anything.  How did Joy manage to use the table saw? My smaller pregnant stomach always seemed to be in way when I was cooking, can't imagine how it was for her with a large saw. Can't say much more about the splinter except that I hope she washed her hands good & maybe even put a Band aid on it. 

About the ice cream trip. Did they go in one of the regular mini vans & not one of the bigger Duggar "Airport Shuttle Vans?  (love the name whoever called them this) I don't see how they fit everybody in safely in reg minivan. Doesn't she have 6 or 7 siblings? Thought Josiah said they all went.  There's the driver & front passenger,  2nd row is 2 seats ( which looked the next 2 oldest sat in)& 3rd row is 3 seats. Plus wouldn't there be a few carseats involved, at least for the youngest who is 2?  And what was with Josiah thinking he was Superdad by saving time  asking what the kids wanted ahead of time?  Of course kids will change their minds when they get there & see the real thing. I'm glad the kids changed their minds on him.  Remember this Siah when you have your own brood of kids to get orders from. I'll have to stay awake & watch this part again

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, louannems said:

I noticed when Josiah as preparing faitas, he sauted FROZEN chopped onions and FROZEN chicken bits.  This adds a lot of water to the saute pan and it's hard to get a good sear.  Also, I peeked insde the fridge when Josiah was sorting through the gross leftovers, and truely, for such a huge family, there is very little in that fridge.  4 big bottles of coffee creamers, and a few packages of precut salad and not a whole lot more.

I agree, I know they have an insane amount of pantry space and I assume some deep freezers, but that frig looks like mine after I come back on vacation and I have a family of 4. On any other day of the year you can't even see the shelves because it's covered in foods you don't freeze or fresh veggies/fruit that you keep cold or milk...where was the milk? How many kids do they have? They should all be drinking at least a cup of milk a day. 

• Love 2

I believe the principle on teaching kids music is that it teaches discipline (practicing, taking care of your instrument, being part of a group, etc.); and it's also apparently on par or better with learning a foreign language to open different neural pathways in your brain, both of which seem valuable to developing the type of work ethic and self-esteem that steers you away from criminal activities.  

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

I agree, I know they have an insane amount of pantry space and I assume some deep freezers, but that frig looks like mine after I come back on vacation and I have a family of 4. On any other day of the year you can't even see the shelves because it's covered in foods you don't freeze or fresh veggies/fruit that you keep cold or milk...where was the milk? How many kids do they have? They should all be drinking at least a cup of milk a day. 

I'm not a vegan or anything, but as far as the milk, that is not a necessity by any stretch...I have never been a fan, and never really drank it past the age of maybe 7 or 8, and that probably wouldn't have been my choice. These days even the milk I use in my coffee is almond milk, which I vastly prefer. I do admit to liking cheese, but even if one doesn't do dairy products, there are all sorts of other good sources of calcium. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm not a vegan or anything, but as far as the milk, that is not a necessity by any stretch...I have never been a fan, and never really drank it past the age of maybe 7 or 8, and that probably wouldn't have been my choice. These days even the milk I use in my coffee is almond milk, which I vastly prefer. I do admit to liking cheese, but even if one doesn't do dairy products, there are all sorts of other good sources of calcium. 

Yes, but given the diet the Duggars have, they need milk in their diet. And not even cow's milk, any milk would do. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

He is son of a b**ch in treating Joy like she is a pack mule. Joy is an idiot for doing those things. I can't stand Austin. He isn't a very considerate man let alone husband. Jim Bob, Michelle, Austin AND Joy should be ashamed of themselves for where they have placed Joy.

What a vast difference between Joy's life and Jinger's. Lightyears apart in quality. Jinger is Jeremy's wife and Joy is Austin's work horse.

I can't stand him either, he's a dick. I know Joy isn't a girly girl and I acknowledge pregnancy isn't a disease, but I highly doubt she wanted to be doing construction in her third trimester. I also doubt she wanted to be shoved into the middle of an icy lake on a rickety canoe when she's carrying an extra fifty pounds and her balance is off. I thought she looked exhausted and unwell throughout the entire episode, but Austin doesn't even seem to notice.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

even with all that cheese?

The APA recommends milk at mealtimes and water throughout the day. Even with their obsession with nasty, processed pre-shredded cheese, milk should still be a norm. 

2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't stand him either, he's a dick. I know Joy isn't a girly girl and I acknowledge pregnancy isn't a disease, but I highly doubt she wanted to be doing construction in her third trimester. I also doubt she wanted to be shoved into the middle of an icy lake on a rickety canoe when she's carrying an extra fifty pounds and her balance is off. I thought she looked exhausted and unwell throughout the entire episode, but Austin doesn't even seem to notice.

Agreed! I think Austin and Joy sans children would make a decent storyline for the show---Austin and Joy with GiddyUp is sad and depressing. 

• Love 2

I finally finished that snooze fest.  I have some random thoughts.

• If I were Kendra, I woukd want to decorate my own nursery.  Letting Jana help is cool, but Jessa had her turn twice. That consignment furniture looked nice though.
  • I’m not terribly superstitious but isn’t it bad luck to buy baby things that early? At the very least I would think that’s risky.
  • JoKen’s jouse was cute, but why is there no covered parking? Or at the TTH?
  • I noticed how only the Duggars seemed excited aboutthe instant baby.  Although the Caldwels let their healthy 19 year old marry a sexually repressed virgin horndog. What did they think would happen? Abstinence?  
  • Austin made a funny with “Put ‘er there pops.”
  • Johanna is the spitting image of Jim Bob and Josh. Wow! 
  • I hated how they kept referring to the girls as my sisters like Mackynzie wasn’t there. 
  • Love 3

Covered parking?...a 12 foot wall with Cyclone barbed wire is more urgent....

I can see Joe building a garage and a proper driveway as a project.

Kendrab is being diplomatic and letting Jessa and Jana  decorate the house...

She is picking her battles.

Kendrab's choice of male Board certified OB with regular prenatal visits with JUST Joe..hospital birth...epidural is on the table....

Zip it if you disagree...Jessa got to decorate the nursery...enough of your eye rolling....

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That was so incredibly tacky. It wasn't even like they were Si's leftovers. They belonged to one of the random J'kids, and given the lack of attention to health and hygiene in that house, I wouldn't have taken a bite out of it if you paid me. God only knows whose grimy paws were digging through that food. 

Of all their gross food things, this one has stuck with me literally for the past 24 hours bc it was so absolutely vile. Any idea how long those leftovers have been in the fridge, Josiah?!??

Seriously so gross. 

How 'bout also, Joe? YOU tell the kids not to come over if not invited. You're a man now, or something. You don't need your mom telling them. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

How 'bout also, Joe? YOU tell the kids not to come over if not invited. You're a man now, or something. You don't need your mom telling them. 

I’m going to go with It’s Mom and Dads’ responsibility to tell their own children where they can and can’t go. Joe’s  not their Dad.  As the  brother, he can be somewhat more honest with them than a non-related neighbor, but he shouldn’t have  to deal with having to send them home on a daily basis. If children on my street showed up at my home uninvited-it’s their parents I’d be complaining to. 

It was also a way of enforcing  boundaries to Michelle and JimBob. ‘ These are your kids and Kendra and I won’t be babysitting them every day for you. ‘ sounds like Joe doesn’t intend Kendra to be the new Anna. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 16