Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
17wheatthins

S01.E05: Harvest

One of my questions was answered: Devil Boy has always been the same age--appearance-wise, anyway.

Also, he can make people do (bad) things just by looking at them.

• Like 5

Going need some time to process this one.  So they weren't locking a small child away in the dark under the prison on the basis of .... religious zealotry or whatever but something that isn't the devil but never ages.   I'm still going to need more to go on to be convinced whether that was the right way to go or not.

The scene of the man with no name entering the house and obsessively eyeing the carving knife before walking back out was terrifically tense.  The whole thing with him sitting quietly and listening to them dissolve into screaming and crying and hitting as they apparently turned on each other without ever knowing he was there was riveting.

Diane "Jackie" Torrence.  Sure, why not?  I see this Skarsgard also has the family penchant for showing some ass.

• Like 6

Freaky scene at the birthday party! It does seem to confirm what someone worked out in another thread... Devil Boy seems to bring out the emotions that are in people, in spades, and in an evil way. The husband obviously thinks the wife is an all-about-me person. The wife thinks the husband is always criticizing her. The husband complains about the present she’s chosen. They have both probably thought “I could kill you” over some small action. All trivial things couples bicker about. But Devil Boy’s force (for lack of a better word) has escalated it all, and has made them act on it. Without any touching this time though, I might add. With his cell roomie and with Dennis, they had touched (understood with the cell mate, and we saw it with Dennis with the fist bump). And we saw Dale Lacy stroke the boy’s cheek through the cage. This time his mere presence seems to have set things off. Did he always have that ability or is he getting stronger now that he’s been released? Strong enough to start inextinguishable forest fires? To enter dogs’ bodies/transmit through animals and plant suggestions in peoples’ minds (Ruth’s, jumping off the bridge)? To blow up helicopters?

• Like 4

I wonder what the crazy story was that Devil Boy told Lacy.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1

One more reference, The Bangor Strangler, from The Dead Zone. Molly commenting that Henry made it up. I guess it's not part of the folk lore in this story.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

One of my questions was answered: Devil Boy has always been the same age--appearance-wise, anyway.

Also, he can make people do (bad) things just by looking at them.

Or does he have to touch them?

1 hour ago, ClaireS said:

Or does he have to touch them?

We learned in this episode it's not a necessity. He didn't touch anyone at the birthday party.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ferjy said:

So gopher wood is the Devil’s weakness? A reference to God telling Noah to build the ark with gopher wood?

I wonder what the crazy story was that Devil Boy told Lacy.

And he told Alan that he’s not the Devil. But the Devil lies, right?

And what does Alan know about him?

Something was up with Henry’s dad. When Henry’s mom was sundowning, she said something like, ‘You’ll harm that boy keeping him out all night like that,’ suggesting it might’ve happened more than once. And Henry conveniently can’t remember those times. 

But I’m still on board. I want to see how each mystery unfolds. 

Edited by topanga
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, topanga said:

And he told Alan that he’s not the Devil. But the Devil lies, right?

And what does Alan know about him?[

Something was up with Henry’s dad. When Henry’s mom was sundowning, she said ‘You’ll harm that boy keeping him out all night lake that,’ suggesting it might’ve happened more than once. And Henry conveniently can’t remember those times. 

But I’m still on board. I want to see how each mystery unfolds. 

Not sure if there were two lines, but I heard her say "he's got a fever, you're going to kill him out there". Even scarier! 

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 3

Does Henry have a hearing aid? What was up with his  ear? That reminds me of another horror movie, but not one based on story by SK.

I didn't know if that family was really there, or if it was a memory. I guess it was real, now that it's been revealed that this guy never ages. I'm still not sure that he's evil, he might bring out whatever is lurking. Nothing happened with Molly (?), Henry, or Jackie. I'm wondering how he can help Ruth. In the comments on an article about this, a few people mentioned John Coffey (from the Green Mile), but I don't remember him bringing about harm to others. I've only seen the movie once, though, it was heartbreaking. 

IMDB has small descriptions of future episodes. Just mentioning that, if anyone's interested.

I love how Jackie was just blabbering away to the guy, 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 3

I've just googled, and was reminded that he (John Coffey) released a brain tumour into someone, who turned around and shot someone else, under its influence. He also healed people, and brought a mouse back to life. Someone here speculated that the warden might have made sure that he was headless, so that he couldn't be brought back? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Anela said:

Does Henry have a hearing aid? What was up with his  ear?

He has ringing in his ear.  In the opening scene at the doctor's office, he mentions that it's bothered him off and on since he was teenager and I think we were supposed to assume that a gun being fired so close to his head in the prison massacre brought it back.  In demonstrating that she can hear what's inside people's heads, Molly says it's ringing so loud he can barely hear himself think.

I do think we were supposed to make note of the fact that boy with no name seemed to go out of his way this episode to avoid touching Henry or letting him touch him even in a handshake. 

• Like 6

So I am really enjoying this show.  I am not a King aficionado, aside from a few movies (The Shining, Shawshank, Stand By Me,) so I am missing most of the references.  I did catch a few in this episode, one was the Prison Parole Video was hosted by a Hadley.  The other I noticed is that the birthday boy’s name was Gordie or Gordo, which was Wil Wheaton’s name in Stand by Me.

This episode was the first time I questoned the wisdom of watching this after dark so close to my bedtime, when The Kid (Hulu’s Closed Captioning people call him Shawshank Prisoner) walked in the house.  That was leading into nightmare inducing territory for me.  Fortunately he just made everything happened off screen.  One thing I noticed in the scene, after he went out onto the roof and sat down, he seemed to reach down as if to pleasure himself. It could have been just where Skarsgard’s arm rested, but with him turning up naked for Jackie later, the two seemed to link in my mind.

My feeling is that this kid is neither good, nor evil.  He is just chaos incarnate.  

• Like 5

21 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Diane "Jackie" Torrence.  Sure, why not?

When we first found out her name, I thought it was just a winking reference, so it's interesting that they've made her Jack's sister. I'm finding the character mildly irritating so far, but I like Jane Levy and hope they give her more to do soon.

It's driving me nuts that Henry has no follow-up whenever Molly brings up being able to tune into other people's thoughts. I get that he has a lot going on and maybe doesn't know how to respond, but she's one of the few people he actually likes and I can't believe he's not curious enough to talk about it at all.

I'm glad we're still getting scenes with Terry O'Quinn and it's always fun to see Scott Glenn in this kind of role. His scenes with Sissy Spacek are lovely.

• Like 8

Jackie said she named herself after her uncle. She's not Jack Torrence's sister.

Scott Glenn's haircut is horrible. It looked like that during The Leftovers, too. Someone really needs to have a sitdown with him and tell him he looks ridiculous.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 9

46 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Scott Glenn's haircut is horrible. It looked like that during The Leftovers, too. Someone really needs to have a sitdown with him and tell him he looks ridiculous.

You don't like the bird's nest look? :-D  His whole demeanor is off for me. I'm usually all for seeing older actors onscreen but I'm finding Scott Glenn not very good at all in this. I haven't seen him since he was much younger so I can't say whether he's always like this now. Not sure if the part isn't right for him or whether he's lost his acting chops. I know he's pushing 80 but there are other older actors, say, Robert Redford for instance, who is 3 years older and still going strong.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 3

The bangs! The man has bangs cut straight across his forehead like a child's. And then that weird too-long hair that fluffs out over his ears. It's just so, so bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Jackie said she named herself after her uncle. She's not Jack Torrence's sister.

Dang, that's right--thanks!

Has anyone been listening to the official after show podcast? I started listening to the first episode, but got distracted and never finished.

8 hours ago, Anela said:

Does Henry have a hearing aid? What was up with his  ear? 

7 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

He has ringing in his ear.  In the opening scene at the doctor's office, he mentions that it's bothered him off and on since he was teenager and I think we were supposed to assume that a gun being fired so close to his head in the prison massacre brought it back.  In demonstrating that she can hear what's inside people's heads, Molly says it's ringing so loud he can barely hear himself think.

Henry does actually wear hearing aids though, I think, in addition to the ringing. It seemed like they were very obviously shown in a few different close-up scenes. But then at other times I didn't see or notice them. I assumed he might have lost his hearing when he was out in the cold as a kid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taragel said:

Henry does actually wear hearing aids though, I think, in addition to the ringing. It seemed like they were very obviously shown in a few different close-up scenes. But then at other times I didn't see or notice them. I assumed he might have lost his hearing when he was out in the cold as a kid.

That's what I thought, thanks. I saw something in his ear, and wondered what it was.

I haven’t noticed a hearing aid in any past episodes, but I wasn’t looking for one either. This episode he had a cotton ball in his ear most of the time, probably because his ear was a little damaged from the shotgun blast that took place right next to it at the Shawshank incident.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, littlemommy said:

I haven’t noticed a hearing aid in any past episodes, but I wasn’t looking for one either. This episode he had a cotton ball in his ear most of the time, probably because his ear was a little damaged from the shotgun blast that took place right next to it at the Shawshank incident.

Oh perhaps that was it then? I thought I noticed an aid in an earlier episode also though--but perhaps my eyes were playing tricks. None of the promo shots I could find online seem to have any.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, littlemommy said:

I noticed only the cotton ball too but then I wasn't looking for hearing aids. We need some of the excellent sofa sleuths in here to have a closer look!

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

It looked like cotton to me too.  So when they provided the ringing in his ear explanation, I didn't give it any further thought.

He did mention to the doctor that he had the ringing in his ears since he was a teenager. She said that it might be from listening to music with earphones, but he looked skeptical. They seem to be stressing the point, so it must have more significance than just the recent explosion/gunfire. That incident has just brought it to light more. Maybe something that happened when he went missing?

• Like 2

I did notice that and wondered too if maybe there was some internal or even possibly psychosomatic cause stemming from whatever happened when he went missing as a kid.  I mean that when I saw he had what appeared to be cotton stuffed in the same ear he said was ringing, probably to try to muffle the sound, my mind didn't go to hearing aid or anything beyond that.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 11:29 PM, ferjy said:

We learned in this episode it's not a necessity. He didn't touch anyone at the birthday party.

Yes that’s right!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ferjy said:

I noticed only the cotton ball too but then I wasn't looking for hearing aids. We need some of the excellent sofa sleuths in here to have a closer look!

That's why I asked if something happened to his ear. I didn't know if it was a cotton ball. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I did notice that and wondered too if maybe there was some internal or even possibly psychosomatic cause stemming from whatever happened when he went missing as a kid.  I mean that when I saw he had what appeared to be cotton stuffed in the same ear he said was ringing, probably to try to muffle the sound, my mind didn't go to hearing aid or anything beyond that.

Ah, I see. No, I didn't think hearing aids either. I figured the cotton was to staunch any bleeding that may have occurred from the gunfire incident. Yes, it seems that they are trying to tell us something about the ringing in his ears from the past. It flashed back to when he had the hearing test in Texas, then right back to Castle Rock with the cotton in his ears, to let us know the ringing wasn't from the shooting repercussions alone. I think he said that he's had it on and off since he was a teen. They keep focussing on the ringing too. At first I thought that it was just getting worse because the gunshot aggravated it, but now I'm thinking about when the father asked Henry (in the woods) "Do you hear it now?" And the Kid/Devil Boy asked him the same thing. Maybe he's starting to hear whatever that is supposed to be.

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 4

I think that The Kid can bring out peoples worst aspects or issues with his presence, but he can actually cause them to kill or die by touching them. I also dont think he is actually the Devil, more like some kind of otherworldly chaos agent who has no control over what his powers do to people. 

So Jackie isnt just a shout out to Jack Torrance, she is actually his niece! Does that mean cousin Danny might show up? Her talking about how the 80s is when all the really crazy stuff happened is kind of hilarious considering a prison guard just randomly murdered a bunch of his co-workers just a few days after the former warden killed himself. It aint over yet! 

This show is super creepy, but I appreciate the lack of gore or jump scares. I wont say its at the level of The Exorcist show, but it does a good job of making the scares more about a creeping dread in the atmosphere, mixed with the horrors of everyday life. Which is possibly where The Kid and his powers come in. He takes the everyday crap of modern life, and amplifies it so much that it drives people to violence, leading to the more dramatic style horrors. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Just chiming in to say RIP The Exorcist—scariest show I’ve seen in a long while. 

Ditto. I can't believe they cancelled it. :-(

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 4

If you like horror, find The Exorcist series and watch it ASAP. Its a great horror series, while also being a fascinating character study with great acting, effects, and writing. We only got two seasons, but what amazing seasons they were. I am forever salty that it was cancelled. 

• Like 4

The Exorcist is on Hulu I believe! If you guys want to do a rewatch I’m game (and the mod for that show). Oooops! We’re off topic so let’s get back to Castle Rock before the mean old mod comes in and catches us! ;-D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Can someone explain to me how Bill Skarsgård can go from looking completely naive and innocent to completely menacing with a simple lean of his head.  It’s amazingly creepy.

I wonder if he lost weight for this role. If not, kudos to the makeup department for making him look gaunt and haunting. I saw him in an interview and was amazed at the transformation. He was animated and cute (with a killer smile!), his personality really shone through. I almost didn't recognize him.

• Like 3

I believe the writers mentioned he did lose weight specifically for this role. Admirable dedication. 

Also, does anyone else believe that the boy, or devil, or what have you, could be our beloved Ralphie Anderson? For those with foggy memories he was the sacrifice for Andre Linoge's promise of "give me what i want, and I'll go away." Storm of the Century was a Brilliant screenplay by our hallowed King.

• Like 3

I haven't read or seen anything Stephen King did except for Shawshank Redemption. I'm enjoying the show but always have to watch it again. I miss so much the first time around. :P

On 8/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, ferjy said:

You don't like the bird's nest look? :-D  His whole demeanor is off for me. I'm usually all for seeing older actors onscreen but I'm finding Scott Glenn not very good at all in this. I haven't seen him since he was much younger so I can't say whether he's always like this now. Not sure if the part isn't right for him or whether he's lost his acting chops. I know he's pushing 80 but there are other older actors, say, Robert Redford for instance, who is 3 years older and still going strong.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, bilgistic said:

The bangs! The man has bangs cut straight across his forehead like a child's. And then that weird too-long hair that fluffs out over his ears. It's just so, so bad.

I think they are intentionally giving him the scruffy old man, possibly alluding to his mental state also. He's falling apart mentally and they want his look to reflect that..?

22 hours ago, Shandor324 said:

I believe the writers mentioned he did lose weight specifically for this role. Admirable dedication. 

Also, does anyone else believe that the boy, or devil, or what have you, could be our beloved Ralphie Anderson? For those with foggy memories he was the sacrifice for Andre Linoge's promise of "give me what i want, and I'll go away." Storm of the Century was a Brilliant screenplay by our hallowed King.

Oooh great idea, hadn't considered that!! My own theory (and so far I haven't seen anyone else pose it) is  that No Name might be a version of Leland Gaunt (Needful Things). That guy could get people to do evil things just by talking to people (I know NN hates to talk, it's just an idea.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Oooh great idea, hadn't considered that!! My own theory (and so far I haven't seen anyone else pose it) is  that No Name might be a version of Leland Gaunt (Needful Things). That guy could get people to do evil things just by talking to people (I know NN hates to talk, it's just an idea.)

Actually, Colorado David mentioned Leland Gaunt way back when in the All Episodes Talk. I remember because I hadn't read or watched Needful Things yet (it's next on my list!) and didn't know who the character was. Good theories. I barely remember Ralphie Anderson. I'd better add Storm of the Century to my list as a refresher.

2 hours ago, ferjy said:

Actually, Colorado David mentioned Leland Gaunt way back when in the All Episodes Talk. I remember because I hadn't read or watched Needful Things yet (it's next on my list!) and didn't know who the character was. Good theories. I barely remember Ralphie Anderson. I'd better add Storm of the Century to my list as a refresher.

I remember when they used to show these movies regularly, on channels like TNT. I used to settle in and watch them, or have them on as I was doing something else. Now it's just reruns of things like The Mentalist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ferjy said:

I remember watching and enjoying "Storm of the Century" when it aired - it was pretty good for a network TV mini series. I had completely forgotten the plot and character names though.

Interesting fact: the lead protagonist in Stephen King's latest novel "The Outsider" is a police detective named Ralph Anderson. He lives in Oklahoma, and is supposed to be about 50 years old, so I don't think he's supposed to be a grown-up version of Ralphie Anderson. I'm assuming King was just having fun with character names, and doing some callbacks for those who like hunting for references. I haven't finished the novel yet, so I could be wrong!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, krankydoodle said:

It's driving me nuts that Henry has no follow-up whenever Molly brings up being able to tune into other people's thoughts. I get that he has a lot going on and maybe doesn't know how to respond, but she's one of the few people he actually likes and I can't believe he's not curious enough to talk about it at all.

I mean...

Thank you! (bad language ahead....)

I'm all, like, what the fuck is this guy's mother-fucking deal, man...srsly.

Why doesn't he seem worried that a lady he "doesn't know" says she can feel his feelings and knows his thoughts...whaaaaaa-??

ASK SOME QUESTIONS, DAMMIT.

Hmmmm, I donno, things like...."Are you a crazy person??"  or, "Tell me everything."

• Like 4

On 8/8/2018 at 5:57 PM, ferjy said:

Freaky scene at the birthday party! It does seem to confirm what someone worked out in another thread... Devil Boy seems to bring out the emotions that are in people, in spades, and in an evil way. The husband obviously thinks the wife is an all-about-me person. The wife thinks the husband is always criticizing her. The husband complains about the present she’s chosen. They have both probably thought “I could kill you” over some small action. All trivial things couples bicker about. But Devil Boy’s force (for lack of a better word) has escalated it all, and has made them act on it. Without any touching this time though, I might add. With his cell roomie and with Dennis, they had touched (understood with the cell mate, and we saw it with Dennis with the fist bump). And we saw Dale Lacy stroke the boy’s cheek through the cage. This time his mere presence seems to have set things off. Did he always have that ability or is he getting stronger now that he’s been released? Strong enough to start inextinguishable forest fires? To enter dogs’ bodies/transmit through animals and plant suggestions in peoples’ minds (Ruth’s, jumping off the bridge)? To blow up helicopters?

It's coincidental, but the massive forest fire really hit home - as we have one way too close where we are. The whole region has been choked by smoke for the last 6 weeks, and it'll be that way through the end of September by all accounts (though we are having a breather today - the winds are with us and the air is clean.)

On 8/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, Anela said:

Does Henry have a hearing aid? What was up with his  ear? That reminds me of another horror movie, but not one based on story by SK.

I have tinnitus in both ears (since I was a kid), and I really, really, hate when shows depict it, because the ringing they use kind of syncs with the frequency of mine, and makes it so much worse.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, ajsnaves said:

My feeling is that this kid is neither good, nor evil.  He is just chaos incarnate.  

I think he might be evil, but I agree with chaos incarnate.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, krankydoodle said:

I think he's reacting the way most people would when someone says something that seems really crazy. Which is that he's not going to touch that statement with a ten foot pole. On the other hand, he is an annoyingly passive person.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, bilgistic said:

And maybe talk to Sissy too. I thought it was a character choice in Bloodline, but found out that's the way she keeps her hair, and that long sloppy bang that flips just drives me crazy.

On 8/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, Shandor324 said:

Never even occurred to me, but I like the idea. I loved the way that story played out, and always wished he'd written a full book version. I recall the movie being pretty good, though.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And maybe talk to Sissy too. I thought it was a character choice in Bloodline, but found out that's the way she keeps her hair, and that long sloppy bang that flips just drives me crazy.

Heh. My mother would not stop ranting about Sissy's hair in Bloodline. The suspended bun boiled her blood. (Alliteration!) Castle Rock isn't Mom's kind of show, so I'm not recommending it, but I also don't want her to know Sissy hasn't fixed her hair!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Heh. My mother would not stop ranting about Sissy's hair in Bloodline. The suspended bun boiled her blood. (Alliteration!) Castle Rock isn't Mom's kind of show, so I'm not recommending it, but I also don't want her to know Sissy hasn't fixed her hair!

If your mom is on the forums, we probably ranted to each other. LOL.