Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds In The Media: Media Liaison

• Start Topic

Sorry I am not back earlier with this 'update'. I posted that screenshot of an article from the Hollywood Reporter last week.  It was sent to me by a friend who was reading about Murphy Brown, saw the mention of CM and thought I might be interested. I did not have time to look into it any further until this evening and it looks like that news might have been either premature, or maybe even an error.  When I found the link to the original article, that particular paragraph is no longer there. I cannot see any correction on the article so I do wonder if this is 'news' that maybe was not supposed to be revealed yet??.  I'm completely guessing of course, but I really don't think its something that would never happen.

It looks like the only news we are sure of right now is that there will only be 15 episodes in this season.  We will have seen 10 by the holidays break and right now we believe that the remaining 5 are to be shown between January and March 13 when Seal Team takes over the 10 pm slot. 

I guess it is possible that it could get a S15 but unlike other years I personally feel that this time it is unlikely.  Theres many reasons why that is, but I think one of the biggest issues there is this time round is the fact that all of the cast contracts are up for renewal this time round (I'm open to correction of course).  That coupled with age and declining ratings however expected with age/changing viewing habits etc, are in my view major obstacles to a S15.

I'm not going to remove comment so that people will have context when reading this reply (and because I'm not sure I can..!)

• Love 2

I feel like Criminal Minds is one of those shows that going to keep going no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it somehow to season 20. I don't know much about ratings but even after multiple characters changes in the seasons along with firing one of its most prominent actors, it still kept going. Season 12 pissed off a lot of people yet they kept going. Season 13 was borderline atrocious yet they kept going. Season 14 is going to be many episodes shorter yet there's a chance that it'll keep going. I think despite everything, the showrunners know that fans have been more than loyal to the show despite its ups and downs. Cancelling the show would break the fans hearts. Most of its fans are people (like me) who were teens or tweens when the show first aired. We practically grew up with this show.

1 hour ago, K42 said:

I feel like Criminal Minds is one of those shows that going to keep going no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it somehow to season 20. I don't know much about ratings but even after multiple characters changes in the seasons along with firing one of its most prominent actors, it still kept going. Season 12 pissed off a lot of people yet they kept going. Season 13 was borderline atrocious yet they kept going. Season 14 is going to be many episodes shorter yet there's a chance that it'll keep going. I think despite everything, the showrunners know that fans have been more than loyal to the show despite its ups and downs. Cancelling the show would break the fans hearts. Most of its fans are people (like me) who were teens or tweens when the show first aired. We practically grew up with this show.

That is no reason to keep the show on the air.

I think British TV has got it right. Tell the story you want to tell and move on. Otherwise at some point, all the people who 'grew up with' the show and are so 'loyal' to it will eventually stop watching and knowing what the show has become can ruin the memory of how good it used to be.

• Love 9
On 12/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, K42 said:

I was in second grade when it premiered. I'm now a junior in college. 

• Love 1

I have not figured out how to properly screenshot using a laptop - I'm old (ish), these lapses are allowed!   

I just saw a discussion on twitter which suggests that CM has been given 10 more episodes.  This news came from a tweet posted by BJ Rogers, the lovely lady who is the head of costume on set. 

There seems to be alot of confusion about what is happening with CM right now.  

Multiple publications had stories recently stating that they were not getting a back order and that 15 would be it for this season, if not permanently.

Then other rumors surfaced and disapeared, until this comment by BJ.

I'm not sure how to read it and judging by some of the replies to her tweet, there are others with similar views.

So she said that they 'might not be getting a Season 15, but they had 10 more episodes'...or something like that.

What is not clear is whether or not this is 10 more episodes AFTER the 15 they have for this season or if it is 5 new episodes and BJ means that there are still 10 more episodes to broadcast.  The last episode on TV was '10', so if they got an order of 5 more, then their order would be 20 so techically there would still be 10 more. 

I've seen a few different views.  Many see it as an extra 10, but I don't think so.  I am more inclined to believe that the got an order for an extra 5 and that this will be it. 

Seal Team is scheduled to start in the Wednesday 10pm slot on March 13.  I believe Futon Critic has CM ending on March 6th.  I think that would work (although tight schedule) for an extra 5 episodes.  I just cannot see this being 10 EXTRA episodes.  Of course, I may very well be proven wrong...agaiin!!!!!! 

Any thoughts?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Lalaland said:

I have not figured out how to properly screenshot using a laptop - I'm old (ish), these lapses are allowed!   

I just saw a discussion on twitter which suggests that CM has been given 10 more episodes.  This news came from a tweet posted by BJ Rogers, the lovely lady who is the head of costume on set. 

There seems to be alot of confusion about what is happening with CM right now.  

Multiple publications had stories recently stating that they were not getting a back order and that 15 would be it for this season, if not permanently.

Then other rumors surfaced and disapeared, until this comment by BJ.

I'm not sure how to read it and judging by some of the replies to her tweet, there are others with similar views.

So she said that they 'might not be getting a Season 15, but they had 10 more episodes'...or something like that.

What is not clear is whether or not this is 10 more episodes AFTER the 15 they have for this season or if it is 5 new episodes and BJ means that there are still 10 more episodes to broadcast.  The last episode on TV was '10', so if they got an order of 5 more, then their order would be 20 so techically there would still be 10 more. 

I've seen a few different views.  Many see it as an extra 10, but I don't think so.  I am more inclined to believe that the got an order for an extra 5 and that this will be it. 

Seal Team is scheduled to start in the Wednesday 10pm slot on March 13.  I believe Futon Critic has CM ending on March 6th.  I think that would work (although tight schedule) for an extra 5 episodes.  I just cannot see this being 10 EXTRA episodes.  Of course, I may very well be proven wrong...agaiin!!!!!! 

Any thoughts?

This is how I interpreted it.  One: it is too early to confirm if there will be a 15th. Season.  I certainly hope it does happen.  Second: they did get the backorder of five additional episodes and added to the five unaired makes the ten she mentioned.  But there has been no official confirmation as of yet so we'll have to wait and see if what she tweeted is actually true.  Again I'm hoping it is.  I'll gladly take more episodes.  Been enjoying the season.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lalaland said:

CM is returning on January 2 with episode 11, so I'm not sure about episode 15 airing on March 6.  That would really be stretching it: airing 5 episodes in 2 months.  I mean, I suppose that could be what they are doing.

Not that it's always reliable, but Wikipedia has episodes 11-15 airing every Wednesday in January, with episode 15 airing January 30.

As for the additional episodes, I'm not sure why there are conflicting reports.  I would believe BJ since she works on the show and should know.  Another crew member/proucer posted the same thing about 10 more episodes on Instagram.  But I also don't think sites like Deadline and Spoiler TV would post there was no backorder unless they had proof and were told from a credible source. Maybe they just assumed since CM wasn't on the schedule after January or March that they weren't getting more episodes this season.  CBS might still be playing around with some things, and like BJ said, these episodes could be part of season 14 or even be part of a 15th season.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:32 PM, Hotchgirl18 said:

I was in second grade when it premiered. I'm now a junior in college. 

5 hours ago, K42 said:

I was 14

I was 13.  I'm 26 now and will be 27 in January.  It's crazy that this show has been on for half my life!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lalaland said:

Considering the source I'm highly skeptical. She's not in any position to know things like episode orders or guarantees past this season- that's likely the domain of the showrunner and other top executives.

Ratings are among the lowest on CBS right now and it's likely CBS' most expensive show (and one they don't keep much of the actual revenue for- ABC Studios does). I have not read anything from more reputable sources saying CM will get more than the 15 it will air this season, and, coupled with the low ratings/expense of the show, I don't think CBS will do more except perhaps use CM's "15th season" the same way it used CSI's "16th season"- as a series-ending movie or miniseries, nothing more.

1 hour ago, jls1792 said:

CM is returning on January 2 with episode 11, so I'm not sure about episode 15 airing on March 6.  That would really be stretching it: airing 5 episodes in 2 months.  I mean, I suppose that could be what they are doing.

Not that it's always reliable, but Wikipedia has episodes 11-15 airing every Wednesday in January, with episode 15 airing January 30.

As for the additional episodes, I'm not sure why there are conflicting reports.  I would believe BJ since she works on the show and should know.  Another crew member/proucer posted the same thing about 10 more episodes on Instagram.  But I also don't think sites like Deadline and Spoiler TV would post there was no backorder unless they had proof and were told from a credible source. Maybe they just assumed since CM wasn't on the schedule after January or March that they weren't getting more episodes this season.  CBS might still be playing around with some things, and like BJ said, these episodes could be part of season 14 or even be part of a 15th season.

I was 13.  I'm 26 now and will be 27 in January.  It's crazy that this show has been on for half my life!

Tell me about it. I think that's why I'm constantly b!tching about Hotch leaving and storylines. I feel like the show is a part of me. I grew up with it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jls1792 said:

Maybe misunderstood my comment. I did not mean that they would stretch out the last few episodes to March. I'm still not convinced that the order is for 10 extra on top of the 15 confirmed. I could be wrong of course, but it just sounds odd.

my feeling until an OFFICIAL announcement is made, is that there is 5 more episodes. BJ said 'we have 10 more episodes'. To me this feels like she was saying 10 more to broadcast, which would account for 11-15 and then 5 new ones. That would bring the order up to 20 for the season. 

She also said they weren't getting a S15, so the idea that there would be 10 other episodes hanging about, just seems weird. 

If they are back filming early January, I do believe they could turn around 5 new episodes between then and March. Very tight, but not unacievable. Feature films often only have a 6 week production run. 

This is all guess work off course and like I said, I'm open to correction.

as for the confusion, I think I've laid that out as to why it's there. Also the fact tat there's been conflicting stories in media publications. 

• Love 1

Some of you are making me feel a bit old :p. I would've been 20 when the show premiered, just a couple weeks away from turning 21. I didn't start actually watching the show regularly until 2013, though. Just saw the occasional episodes here and there before then. 

Edited by Annber03

I think it's entirely conceivable that the show airs only five episodes from January 4 to March 6. Shows- especially underperforming ones like CM- get preempted in February (a sweeps month), which leaves enough time for five episodes to air.

• Love 2

Howdy. Any of you lovelies who follow proceedings with more dedication than I do currently, has there been anything resembling a follow up to the Twitter 'announcement' by costume designer BJ re: new episodes? 

That was a couple weeks before the holidays. If I'm correct they're filming 15 right now, the apparent final episode of the season. So what's with the silence. And next episode broadcast is 12. So it's getting kinda close.  Is there going to be a big announcement from set of episode 16, 'hey, look at us, we haven't finished yet' or something. I do think if 15 was the absolute end, we'd probably have known this by now. Then again, maybe not. Strange.

• Love 1

Haven't heard anything further, no. TV Line, SpoilerTV, none of those kinds of outlets have commented on that announcement. I hope we can get more details one way or another, soon, 'cause I too am curious about what's going on with that. 

I'm pretty sure we're not getting 10 more episodes this season. A standard broadcast season is 22 episodes, and CM's 14th season now stands at 15 episodes. So at the most, we'll get seven more episodes...if we get more. It's a very big "if" considering how poor the ratings are.

Aww! I REALLY wanted the show to go on as long as SVU, but I'm happy the show's getting a proper ending. But as they say, 'Every ending is a new beginning.' Even though I got into the show at the start of the tenth season, I've felt like I grew up with the show. At least there's always re-runs and DVD releases, right?

• Love 2

Everyone kinda felt this was coming, so it's not too surprising. But yeah. Still will be sad to see this show end all the same. 

I appreciate the network letting the show get some proper closure, though, and allowing us fans the chance to say goodbye. Will be interesting to see what they'll do for the final season. 

• Love 1

I was hoping that it would get a 15th season to wrap it up and I'm glad it did.  Still it will be sad to see it go.  It was (and will be) fifteen wonderful seasons and I was there for every episode.  Thank you to everyone:  the crew, the cast past and present for making this show great.  You will be missed.

• Love 2

There are no words... I can't help but wonder if the show would have lived longer, much longer if they made better casting choices. They lost an incredible amount of viewers during S10, the worst year of the entire series. The S9 finale had 12M viewers while only 8M people watched the S10 finale.

• Love 1

For comparison purposes, the original CSI, which also (effectively) ran for 15 seasons, ended with 337 episodes, though the last two were combined for a finale "movie".

Glad we'll get closure and I appreciate that- finally- the show is acknowledging Rossi is its lead character. Not sure about the whole "Moriarty" thing they have planned for him but Joe Mantegna has a habit of making these things work so we'll see.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

For comparison purposes, the original CSI, which also (effectively) ran for 15 seasons, ended with 337 episodes, though the last two were combined for a finale "movie".

Glad we'll get closure and I appreciate that- finally- the show is acknowledging Rossi is its lead character. Not sure about the whole "Moriarty" thing they have planned for him but Joe Mantegna has a habit of making these things work so we'll see.

Rossi should've been the Unit Chief lol. 

Geez, this sounds so lame. We already had three different episodes where Rossi was personally involved in a case (3x14 "Damaged", 6x3 "Remembrance of Things Passt", and 7x22 "Profiling 101"; four episodes if you include 12x9 "Profiling 202", a sequel to 7x22 "Profiling 101"). Why should the series finale-heck, the entire final season-be Rossi-centric, focusing on (mostly) him pursuing this one unsub? (The unsub who will presumably be a completely new character that hasn't even been mentioned for over a decade Rossi has been on the show, rather than some old adversary who has escaped from prison or something). I do like Rossi, but come on. He already has a daughter, grandson, son-in-law, a new wife, and has already closed three cold cases that literally haunted him for *decades*. Give me a fucking break. Writers and showrunners could at least focus on Reid finally finding happiness, getting a girlfriend or at least a good friend outside the BAU, now that the show is definitely coming to an end. Yes, that should still not be the main focus because "Criminal Minds" is a crime/mystery show, and something like that could still happen as a subplot, but given Erica Messer's tendency to focus on anyone but Reid, and now basing an entire series finale around Rossi's pursuit of this new, Joker-like villain... I'm not holding my breath.

And I know Rossi is the only main (well, better to say "long-term") character that hasn't been abducted/tortured by the unsub so far (ironic considering that he has been in that job the longest) but I really have no desire to see "character in a peril" arc again, even if it is the first time for that character; writers have beaten that dead horse into fine powder. Long ago.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Mysteyman said:

I think the wedding takes place during the season finale,  if an Unsub doesn’t disrupt the festivities.

I'll bet your ass that's how the season 14 finale ends. Some crazy holds the wedding hostage or shoots it up. 

I doubt it-they seemed to imply that the finale would not have some kind of crazy "people's lives in danger" cliffhanger. As I understand it, it seems like we're going to meet this unsub this season, but he won't become a real issue or threat for the team until next season. 

I can’t wait for how annoyed everyone’s going to be by the last season. I’ve watched this show for years, and I love it, but I’m not sure I’ll watch next year. 

The information about the time jump, to me suggests that we will have to find the characters in very new places, whether emotionally or physically, in order to justify it. I would expect some real shocks to be in store, in order to tie up the characters’ narrative loose ends.

I am totally expecting them to go all out and do mad things like... for Reid to find himself suddenly starting to suffer early Alzheimer’s symptoms and for a somehow magically widowed JJ to declare her eternal love for him. Maybe not exactly that, but something else as annoying as that. I don’t believe these writers can possibly resist going full telenovela with ten episodes left. They really, really should. But I don’t actually think they will.

• Love 4

I can’t wait for how annoyed everyone’s going to be by the last season.

I’m already annoyed by what Messer has said about the time jump.

I loved this show dearly in its heyday, but the quality has declined so much in the last 5-6 seasons that I’m relieved it’s coming to an end. It saddens me to see a show I used to adore turn into a parody of itself. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Lebanna said:

I can’t wait for how annoyed everyone’s going to be by the last season. I’ve watched this show for years, and I love it, but I’m not sure I’ll watch next year. 

The information about the time jump, to me suggests that we will have to find the characters in very new places, whether emotionally or physically, in order to justify it. I would expect some real shocks to be in store, in order to tie up the characters’ narrative loose ends.

I am totally expecting them to go all out and do mad things like... for Reid to find himself suddenly starting to suffer early Alzheimer’s symptoms and for a somehow magically widowed JJ to declare her eternal love for him. 

I always knew that if there was gonna be a season 15, there would be a time jump. So it didn't surprise me one bit to read that.

But I sure hope the bolded doesn't happen. If I'm not gonna have my Hotch/Emily dream pairing (which I know I won't, and I have accepted it and moved on), then I sure as heck don't want the Reid/JJ shippers to get theirs. Does it sound selfish ? Yeah maybe, but I don't care. The "We don't do teammates romance" rule should apply to everyone until the end.

Edited by SSA Emily Prentiss
  • Love 2

I don’t mind a time jump. I do hope Reid is engaged or married ( with no tragedies) by the end of the show... but not to JJ. Nor do I want to see JJs happy marriage and personal life derailed. There is no need for that. We do not have to continue down the stereotype that FBI agents can’t have happy home lives.   There is also no reason to go down the ‘men and women’ colleagues can’t be plain old friends stereotype either. 

They said there would be some closure on personal stories and  few surprises. Reid being part of a couple would be a surprise.  Emily adopting a child would be a surprise. Let’s go that route rather than tear JJs life apart. 

• Love 3

I really don't want the confession to be Reid telling JJ he has been in love with her for 14 years. Let JJ stay happily married and if they want Reid to get married, partner him up with someone outside of the team. 

We've already seen members have their marriages fall apart because of the job. Let JJ be one who actually has a marriage that doesn't fall apart. I know Simmons is there too and happily married, but we haven't known him as long as JJ and Will.

Plus, I just really like the whole "no team members dating" thing :)

I don't mind a time jump as long as it's not a huge time jump.

I could see the show ending with Rossi retiring. Maybe they could be at a retirement party for him (a good way to bring back past members) and then the current team gets called out on a case. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

They said there would be some closure on personal stories and few surprises.  Emily adopting a child would be a surprise. 

And my long time biggest wish for her coming true. Preferably a little girl. But seeing how it took 9 friggin' seasons for her to even get a love interest, which love interest has only been shown twice, I'd say the chances of an adoption happening for her are slim to none. 

• Love 5

I would much prefer the show not kill off any of the team members, past or present. And thankfully, I doubt they have any plans to do that, either-they've always seemed pretty reluctant about killing off team members as it is (Gideon and Walker's deaths were basically the result of outside circumstances), and I imagine they're going to want to wrap things up on a positive note for all involved. So if anyone is wishing for or expecting any team deaths, I'm thinking you're going to be disappointed. 

• Love 4

Ideally for me, the finale episode would focus on the BAU as a whole, not just one character.

But if it's gonna center around one person, I agree that it makes more sense for it to be Rossi. Much, much more sense than ANY other character.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

Ideally for me, the finale episode would focus on the BAU as a whole, not just one character.

But if it's gonna center around one person, I agree that it makes more sense for it to be Rossi. Much, much more sense than ANY other character.

You just may be getting your wish. 14x13 is a pretty big Rossi episode and apparently the wedding is going to be the season fourteen finale. Cringe. 

35 minutes ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

You just may be getting your wish. 14x13 is a pretty big Rossi episode and apparently the wedding is going to be the season fourteen finale. Cringe. 

A. I was talking about the season 15 finale

B. Even then, it isn't my wish at all for it to be centered around one character. But MESSer already announced it will be, so I just think it makes sense for it to focus on Rossi as the senior member and co-founder of the BAU.

3 minutes ago, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

A. I was talking about the season 15 finale

B. Even then, it isn't my wish at all for it to be centered around one character. But MESSer already announced it will be, so I just think it makes sense for it to focus on Rossi as the senior member and co-founder. 

With MESSer, I can't tell if I'm watching "Criminal Minds" or a fucking care bears episode. 

• Love 1
Just now, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

Emily fired ? Who cares ? It's the end of the show, I could always imagine her doing something else.

And by something else, I mean meeting ma other gurl Elle, the two of them become best friends and together they found the "Greenaway-Prentiss detective agency" , which works very closely with the public prosecutor's office to investigate crimes related to abused women and children and send those sick bastards behind bars where they belong.

Oooooh the DREAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                                                                                               I'm gone for now. Don't wake me up please.

20181228_212400.gif

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

And by something else, I mean meeting ma other gurl Elle, the two of them become best friends and together they found the "Greenaway-Prentiss detectiive agency" , which works very closely with the public prosecutor's office to investigate crimes related to abused women and children and send those sick bastards behind bars where they belong.

Oooooh the DREAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!               I'm gone for now. Don't wake me up please.

20181228_212400.gif

As long as Elle doesn't shoot anyone else unarmed. 

• Love 1
Just now, Hotchgirl18 said:

As long as Elle doesn't shoot anyone else unarmed. 

Oh don't worry, she won't. She's had plenty of time to heal from her trauma and to reflect on her mistakes. So she's ready to do things the right way. 

Also, I forgot to mention (How could I ? Shame on me !) that the prosecutor's office would be run by none other than... the one and only... Aaron Hotchner. Yessssssss !!!! Oh the DREAM ! The DREAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamteam.gif

I just couldn't resist adding a gif.