Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds In The Media: Media Liaison

• Start Topic

Up until now we haven't had a dedicated thread for articles and info we find flying all around the media. This thread will take some weight off of The Bullpen's shoulders, and make it easier for us to reference articles moving forward. Reid all about it!

• Love 1

So Molly just dm'd me on twitter with some cool news for the season 9 dvd! I asked if Matthew was doing any commentaries for his directed eps this time around and she said yes!

BKykDLL.jpg

Woo-hooo!

• Love 1

I remember that article, Mstaken.

Thanks for the info on the commentary from Matthew, Willowy. I think that will make it a bit easier to watch the DVDs.

I know the show has also gotten some unfair bad press in the past as well. Just about any time Mandy Patinkin opens his mouth in some sort of interview, he slams the show.

There was also some fiasco about a boy who killed his father blaming it on CM and saying he was inspired by an episode where a boy killed his father, who did something bad, and that the police understood and didn't punish him. Many of the press outlets reported it as if it were fact and didn't bother to check to see that there was no such episode. CBS didn't bother to argue. IIRC, the cast was due to promote the show on some talk shows but their appearances were canceled because of the negative press from that story. Really sad.

I'm hoping that the show will get some more positive press.

• Love 1

There was also some fiasco about a boy who killed his father blaming it on CM and saying he was inspired by an episode where a boy killed his father, who did something bad, and that the police understood and didn't punish him. Many of the press outlets reported it as if it were fact and didn't bother to check to see that there was no such episode. CBS didn't bother to argue. IIRC, the cast was due to promote the show on some talk shows but their appearances were canceled because of the negative press from that story. Really sad.

I'm hoping that the show will get some more positive press.

I remember that story, and I believe the episode in question is "Mosely Lane". I know the kid at the end shot his "mother" and not the "father", but I don't think it's a stretch to assume the kid who actually killed his father conflated the "mother" in the episode with the "father", either because the actress was, well, a tad "ambiguous" from afar or because the kid simply saw the kid in the episode shoot a parent, and the real life kid used that as justification to kill his father. Because, other than the gender switch, the other elements of the story fit "Mosley Lane".

I wanted to actually do a fic where the team would be tasked with assisting at the trial of a kid based on the real life kid, but I stopped since I wasn't sure about writing a story about a kid who'd go to jail. Maybe one day I'll revive it.

(edited)

I remember that story, and I believe the episode in question is "Mosely Lane". I know the kid at the end shot his "mother" and not the "father", but I don't think it's a stretch to assume the kid who actually killed his father conflated the "mother" in the episode with the "father", either because the actress was, well, a tad "ambiguous" from afar or because the kid simply saw the kid in the episode shoot a parent, and the real life kid used that as justification to kill his father. Because, other than the gender switch, the other elements of the story fit "Mosley Lane".

I wanted to actually do a fic where the team would be tasked with assisting at the trial of a kid based on the real life kid, but I stopped since I wasn't sure about writing a story about a kid who'd go to jail. Maybe one day I'll revive it.

Actually, the boy allegedly committed the murder before "Mosley Lane" aired. So his story was BS. I think his lawyers just wanted to blame some TV show and figured that was a show they could name and nobody would notice. Either that or he confused it with another show.

(I say "allegedly" because the stepmother or something originally confessed, but then the boy said he did it so I wonder if the boy was talked in to confessing to get the stepmother out of trouble or if she was just trying to cover for him). I don't know if the case has been tried yet.

Edited by zannej

Actually, the boy allegedly committed the murder before "Mosley Lane" aired. So his story was BS. I think his lawyers just wanted to blame some TV show and figured that was a show they could name and nobody would notice. Either that or he confused it with another show.

(I say "allegedly" because the stepmother or something originally confessed, but then the boy said he did it so I wonder if the boy was talked in to confessing to get the stepmother out of trouble or if she was just trying to cover for him). I don't know if the case has been tried yet.

"Mosley Lane" aired on March 3, 2010. According to the arrest report (other sources: Los Angeles Times and The Huffington Post), Jeff Hall was murdered on May 1, 2011, so it's more than enough time for the boy- identified as Joseph, who is now 13 and appealing his conviction- to have seen the episode and used it as justification to kill his father.

"Mosley Lane" aired on March 3, 2010. According to the arrest report (other sources: Los Angeles Times and The Huffington Post), Jeff Hall was murdered on May 1, 2011, so it's more than enough time for the boy- identified as Joseph, who is now 13 and appealing his conviction- to have seen the episode and used it as justification to kill his father.

Oops. I guess I was wrong. I could have sworn the boy made the claim after. But his story still was not accurate and I really think it was either made up or confused with another show.

Btw, thank you for the info. I'd rather be proven wrong than to remain ignorant.

• Love 1

Oops. I guess I was wrong. I could have sworn the boy made the claim after. But his story still was not accurate and I really think it was either made up or confused with another show.

Btw, thank you for the info. I'd rather be proven wrong than to remain ignorant.

You're welcome. Don't get me wrong- I don't think Criminal Minds is responsible for Jeff Hall's death (judging by the arrest report and the claim the house smelled of urine, there had to have been a lot of neglect going on), I just think it is possible Joseph did see an episode. It is possible he confused it with another show, like perhaps Law & Order: Criminal Intent, or CSI (the first time I saw CM, I thought it was “Criminal Intent”)...but, nonetheless, I think we can both agree TV doesn't cause people to become violent.

I think he did confuse it with either L&O: Criminal Intent or an episode of L&O: SVU. I'm pretty sure there was at least one case where a child killed a man who was abusive and got away with it. I don't remember the exact details.

I agree that TV does not make people killers. Unfortunately there was a trend to try to mitigate responsibility by blaming TV, video games, and movies. While I think those things can influence children, they don't make them in to killers.

Some interviewers asked AJ and Matthew about that issue and AJ wasn't sure but Matthew confidently said he believed the sorts of people who would do those things were already so inclined.

AJ did have a good response to that question as well, by mentioning that these type of shows can also inspire people to go into law enforcement to actually catch criminals like this, and not just become criminals. 

• Love 1

To me, the most enlightening part of the page was the upper right hand corner, where they advertise "Compose an article and get paid".  If you follow the link, you can see that there are no research requirements, and they are paid per view, which is an incentive to write something that is either controversial, or will have a significant bandwagon.

This is basically an op-ed site, which makes it no different from what we do here.  It just looks more official because it's 'an article.'

(Off to see if I can get paid for having an opinion----not!)

• Love 3

But,But,But........ Wait a minute now. 

The tweeny boppers still love the show, especially with all the focus/screen time EM's "Golden Girl" has been getting the last 3 seasons. And isn't that all that matters.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

I think they missed the point. It doesn't suck because it's the same as it was when it started. It sucks because the show runner and current writers have tried to make it just like any other crime show instead of what it was designed to be. The characters haven't grown. They've mutated.

• Love 6

Yeah, I agree that the show sucks compared to what it used to be, but not for the reasons stated in the "article". I'll have to send the link to my brother because I'm sure he'd love to get paid for writing his opinions.

• Love 1

I love Mandy too. I watched Chicago Hope a hundred years ago and loved his character so much. I watch "Homeland" now and he is riveting -- he's not Gideon to me anymore, he is Saul. I just don't read articles about him -- don't wanna hear him talk about CM. Let it go, dude. It's seriously been awhile.

• Love 2

The interview was mostly about his life. The CM things was as a side note, related to what was going on. I wish I could remember where I read it and find it again!

I would not mind reading that as well, if you find it.  He stated that he was ambitious and wanted more and more of everything, always, due to losing his Father and his Father's regrets. He stated that he had a tendency to  speak over people and get his voice heard without necessarily listening to what others were saying. I understand and I don't hate him for it, I thought it was interesting and I agreed with him, he was being greedy and he was being an ass. He seems to have learned and is doing his best to change those things. That's admirable.

Found it. Not as long as I thought it was, maybe I savored it too much. This is the part about CM (not just a side note, my brain sucks!)

There is a little before that too.

When ‘Criminal Minds’ came along, I had just survived the discovery that I had prostate cancer, so I guess I had that vulnerability. I’ll never forget sitting on the bed in my cousin’s house in L.A. reading the first script, and I schmoozed myself, I brainwashed myself, thinking, It won’t be like that as it goes along. I didn’t listen to any piece of myself, and I paid the price. I never expected to work in television again.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/magazine/mandy-patinkin-i-behaved-abominably.html?pagewanted=all

I caught Mandy Patinkin (?) on Sixty Minutes the other night and what he said about CM was interesting. To paraphrase, he said he quit because he was a greedy asshole. I have to agree.

It's about time he owned up. All that stuff about how tortured his soul was at the writing was BS, like the part that he didn't realize there'd be violence or dead people every week. I used to be a fan, but after the numerous comments he made about CM and the viewers I can barely look at him anymore.

• Love 2

It's about time he owned up. All that stuff about how tortured his soul was at the writing was BS, like the part that he didn't realize there'd be violence or dead people every week. I used to be a fan, but after the numerous comments he made about CM and the viewers I can barely look at him anymore.

Agreed, it's not like Homeland is light and fluffy.

Agreed, it's not like Homeland is light and fluffy.

I hated Homeland but endured it because my husband wanted to watch. I hated the subject matter and every character lied, cheated, stole, or murdered someone. Seriously, he had a problem with Criminal Minds? At least there, the good guys are clearly good.

• Love 3

What I understood is that he does blame himself for what happened and he does recognize he was wrong. He admits that the decision to accept the part was made without much thought and that when he left he was also not in a good place with himself. What he said at the time I don't know (or what was reported) but I can relate to a bad decision made in a bad moment of life. It is not exactly an excuse, but puts everything in context. In his case, I do think it was sincere. He does not come across as someone who is trying hard to elevate the public opinion about him 

• Love 1

I found this article online and I'm not terribly impressed by it: Advice for Writers from Criminal Minds

Especially the paragraph about showing the UNSUB early on. And the bit about JJ having a special bond with victims who lose siblings. And the bit about Morgan and Garcia's "sweet exchanges" lightening up the mood. 

Now I want to do a follow-up piece called Advice to Writers of Criminal Minds. 

Edited to correct the link. Sorry, guys.

Edited by idiotwaltz
  • Love 5

idiotwaltz, you sly devil, I clicked the link and it took me to a page of Emily screencaps. Not that both items aren't useful, but they're hardly interchangeable. Looking for that certain shot from Lauren? ;-)

Whoops, I must've had too many windows open. Anyway, the correct link is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephanie-harper/advice-for-writers-from-c_b_6189114.html

Haha, I totally have that screencap from Lauren and would gladly send it to you if you want ;)

• Love 1
23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Entertainment Weekly, via People.com: Criminal Minds Writer Talks About Altercation with Thomas Gibson

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/12/criminal-minds-writer-thomas-gibson

Apologies if this should've been posted somewhere else. None of the other threads looked that appropriate.

Thanks for sharing!

It seems just an opportunistic statement, just like Gibson's. Everything feels so weird and biased in both 'sides'.

I hope this week we got an answer about Hotch's fate and I hope they left him alone (and happy) forever.

• Love 1

I have just learned a new word "clickbait".

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but there are at least two mistakes in these two lines... 

In fact, unconfirmed reports have surfaced that the "Chicago Hope" star will play a part in the series' fifth episode. Titled Elliot's Pond, the said episode will feature the newly created Anti-terrorist Squad with Prentiss, Alvez, Rossi and JJ as its members.

I don't know if the rest of the information can be trusted... 

• Love 4

"...the newly created Anti-terrorist Squad with Prentiss, Alvez, Rossi and JJ as its members..." The wha? As far as I know, there is no such thing. The Anti-Terror Squad was that group of bullied kids in last weeks episode, not some new faction of the BAU. This article is at least click-bait, probably more like the ramblings of a group of ill-informed morons.

• Love 5

current status: laughing my @$$ off at the 'journalism' out there. OMG the things those people read into things....  I didn't even read that article far enough to get to the errors that you two have just pointed out. Facebook is just so full of clickbait nowadays that I take almost everything I read online with a huge grain of salt, and I trust no sites that aren't vetted (like ew, tv guide etc).  

off for a nap, worked til 11 30 last night and was in, and short a hand, for 6 am this morning. Crave sleep :) 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, senin said:

I have just learned a new word "clickbait".

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but there are at least two mistakes in these two lines... 

In fact, unconfirmed reports have surfaced that the "Chicago Hope" star will play a part in the series' fifth episode. Titled Elliot's Pond, the said episode will feature the newly created Anti-terrorist Squad with Prentiss, Alvez, Rossi and JJ as its members.

I don't know if the rest of the information can be trusted... 

I'm gonna go with a big fat NO, senin :) I wouldn't trust that information as far as I could spit :)

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

current status: laughing my @$$ off at the 'journalism' out there. OMG the things those people read into things....  I didn't even read that article far enough to get to the errors that you two have just pointed out. Facebook is just so full of clickbait nowadays that I take almost everything I read online with a huge grain of salt, and I trust no sites that aren't vetted (like ew, tv guide etc).  

off for a nap, worked til 11 30 last night and was in, and short a hand, for 6 am this morning. Crave sleep :) 

Go get some sleep, you really need it!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ReidFan said:

The current state of journalism, whether about pop culture or politics, is such a joke, more PR and marketing clickbait than anything substantial.

• Love 1

and after a nap, it occurs to me...I wonder if this misinformation was deliberately sent out. By that I mean, I wonder if someone higher up at CM is trying to determine the source of spoiler/information leakage that the studio/company doesn't want. If that made any sense. I just find it odd; it's such an obvious inaccuracy, It just made me think that 'The Bosses' fed this information out to 'A Suspected Leak' to see if it would get out there.

geezuz, now I sound like one of those conspiracy theorists on the history channel.

:::off to self-punish:::

• Love 4