Type keyword(s) to search

Rachel & Jon: Bearded in Britain

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, EllaDisco said:

If it wasn't for the other child, whose father is in the US, I would say the simplest thing might be for her to get married and move to England.

The visa process to move to England is lengthy and expensive process.  Dragging her older child away from family would be sad.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

During their Skype call with Lucy, Rachel even referred to him as "Papa". 

At first I thought she was calling Jon, too, but when she said "Do you want to talk to Papa" it was when she Skyped with her own father. 

8 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

It seems to me that Rachel has pretty much forgotten about her 7 year old.

I appears that the older daughter's father (Rachel's ex-husband) plays an active role in her upbringing. Perhaps he has enough sense not to allow his daughter to be caught up in Rachel's quest to be filmed finding love with a stranger in England and there's likely some custody issue about taking her out of the country. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

It seems to me that Rachel has pretty much forgotten about her 7 year old. Lucy is her bond to Jon. It's all very strange to me. Just because he's been kind throughout the pregnancy and pays for her daycare, he is NOT her father. He hasn't even met her. She's very Nicole-like in that respect.

I don't know, if Lucy's dad was just a sperm donor...I don't know, a father doesn't have to be a biological one.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The visa process to move to England is lengthy and expensive process.  Dragging her older child away from family would be sad.

That's why I said if it wasn't for the other child.  England's a nice place.  Why not live there if he has issues with moving to the US?  He seems to have a decent job there if he can pay for the baby's daycare.  But, yeah, she shouldn't be taking her older child away from her father, so that option is not a good one.

12 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

It seems to me that Rachel has pretty much forgotten about her 7 year old. Lucy is her bond to Jon. It's all very strange to me. Just because he's been kind throughout the pregnancy and pays for her daycare, he is NOT her father. He hasn't even met her. She's very Nicole-like in that respect.

....that is what she says but what about "the supposed father" that got her pregnant. Is he seeing his cute daughter on tv and not wanting to be involved. Whether he knew before or not until this aired? 

Would mom take that chance of him coming forward after seeing them on tv?  Who is really Lucy's Dad?

Edited by LisaWl7TR
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I don't know, if Lucy's dad was just a sperm donor...I don't know, a father doesn't have to be a biological one.

The impression I got was that Lucy was an "oops" baby from a short-term relationship. A father doesn't have to be biological, but I think it is very premature for Jon to be considered her father. He hadn't met her! 

• Love 9

Could Jon be Lucy's biological father? That's the only scenario that makes sense to explain the daycare payments, the umbilical cord, etc. Well, it could be that she's desperate and he's a crazy stalker, I suppose. This show has a way of finding strange things. 

• Love 7

I don't know the details behind Jon's criminal convictions, but I have a few comments. In some English cities and towns, fighting on a weekend night after the pubs close is very common.  I wouldn't disqualify an Englishman juts for having an assault conviction or two when he was 19-20 years old.  However, in my experience, people with criminal convictions rarely tell the truth about them. They always claim the were the victim, they were acting in self-defense, there was a misunderstanding, they were defending the honor of a woman, they only pled guilty because their crappy lawyer recommended it, etc.

No one ever says "Oh, I was a violent thug!" 

England also has a separate type of serious assault charge called "GBH" for "grievous bodily harm" and it sounds like at least one of his convictions was for that.

What you need to do is get copies not just of the person's rap sheet, but of the underlying police reports describing what happened.  He could have been mugging old ladies for all she knows.

Edited by gavinmac
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, gavinmac said:

In some English cities and towns, fighting on a weekend night after the pubs close is very common.  I wouldn't disqualify an Englishman juts for having an assault conviction or two when he was 19-20 years old. 

Yeah, when I was there fighting after a night at the pub was definitely a thing, same with after a football game. It's all part of chav culture and it's disgusting but not uncommon. Hopefully Jon is telling the truth that his convictions were from years ago and he's been clean since. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think the OP was suggesting that rachel’s older daughter stay with her father in the US and Rachel move to the UK, BUT that would be sad for the elder girl to have her mother living so far away. 

Edited by Scarlett45
Sad not said
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think the OP was suggesting that rachel’s older daughter stay with her father in the US and Rachel move to the UK, BUT that would be said for the elder girl to have her mother living so far away. 

Sorry, no what I meant was that if she didn't have an older daughter, moving to England would probably be the easiest option.  Since she does have an older daughter, I think they need to either figure out the US immigration or try a long distance relationship.  I don't think leaving the daughter in the US or moving her away from her father are good options.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

Sorry, no what I meant was that if she didn't have an older daughter, moving to England would probably be the easiest option.  Since she does have an older daughter, I think they need to either figure out the US immigration or try a long distance relationship.  I don't think leaving the daughter in the US or moving her away from her father are good options.

Ah. Yes yes I agree with you. 

20 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

She said he's listed as father on birth certifcate.  What's the deal can you put anyone on a certified birth record? When should I tell my kids about their father Ewan McGregor? Seems to me you could come back years later and it would reun into legal issues.  

Okay, when I gave birth for the second time in 1999, I was asked, in the presence of my husband, "Who would you like to put down as the father?"  I was like, really?  Turns out, at that time, in that hospital in Minnesota, you could list ANYONE as the father.  So, just as you need to tell your kids about Ewan McGregor, I need to tell my kids about Colin Firth and George Clooney being their bio dads.  There just never seems to be the right time.......

I was be VERY wary of putting down a non biodad as the legal father.  Just no - he could, theoretically, get custody of that girl.  Plus the real bio dad needs to pay support NOW whether he wants a relationship with the baby or not.

17 hours ago, gavinmac said:

He could have been mugging old ladies for all she knows.

But it wasn't his fault!!  And he is a changed man, ya know?  He REALLY loves me.......

• Love 12
23 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Could Jon be Lucy's biological father? That's the only scenario that makes sense to explain the daycare payments, the umbilical cord, etc. Well, it could be that she's desperate and he's a crazy stalker, I suppose. This show has a way of finding strange things. 

This does seem weird as hell, but I'm sort of willing to entertain it because I've known a couple of guys in real life who have done basically what Jon did: Take on a woman with very young kids or who were pregnant with someone else's kid. It's like some weird midlife crisis where they want an insta-family, and I guess taking on a vulnerable single mom and her child makes them feel like a provider. The caveat is that the guys I know of who've done this were all guys who hit their early/mid 40s, were still single, and maybe hit the biological clock. Jon is about the same age as Rachel (mid-30s).

Like you said, strange things.

• Love 2

It's probably weird, because you have to be weird to agree to go on this show.  But I do know of a number of cases where similar things have happened - just not long distance.  In all the cases I know of, the bio dad has mostly or completely out of the picture.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

It's probably weird, because you have to be weird to agree to go on this show.  But I do know of a number of cases where similar things have happened - just not long distance.  In all the cases I know of, the bio dad has mostly or completely out of the picture.

If this was an instance where Rachel was pregnant by a random hook up (or a sperm donor) and wasn’t seeing anyone, she met Josh (in person mind you) and they fell in love; after several months of dating etc I could see him wanting to commit to Rachel & consider himself the baby’s father.

Many men who marry single Moms when the children are very young consider themselves DAD (rather than step dad) and many formally adopt the child. That’s not weird- what’s weird is that they have NEVER MET!

Jon isn’t her boyfriend, he’s her pen pal!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Many men who marry single Moms when the children are very young consider themselves DAD (rather than step dad) and many formally adopt the child. That’s not weird- what’s weird is that they have NEVER MET!

Yes, I agree.  Although there is speculations that they have met before.

• Love 3

What I found alarming was Rachel commenting twice, that I heard, that Jon would soon be changing Lucy's diapers. Jon may be a great guy (and Lucy's secret father) but he could also be a pedophile looking for a baby girl to have access to. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 8/10/2018 at 4:02 PM, gonecrackers said:

Maybe someone can confirm, but I'm pretty sure Rachel was Skyping with Jon at the time she said "Papa", not her own father.

I think she was talking to her dad. She said to the baby something like, "Let's talk to papa"...and I was incredulous.....until I saw her skyping with her dad.

• Love 3
On 8/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Yes, even Meghan Markle couldn't get fast tracked, and she has CONNECTIONS!!!

• Love 2

It was mentioned above that it was sort of pathetic that Jon was living with his Mum - but they did mention that he had done that (after presumably living on his own) to save money towards his future (?} with his American sweetie.  Nobody has mentioned also that he had, possibly with the help of his Mum and sister, made up a whole nursery for Lucy with crib, changing table, toys &c.  Which showed the right attitude - about as far as you can get from catfishing !  

I agree with whoever said that he seems a teeny bit slow in the way he reacts and speaks.  Which is fine - not everybody needs to be a Rhodes scholar.   But I'm remembering too that the criminal offenses / fighting occurred with he was at "Unie" (university, yes?)  Not just anybody can go to University in England, I think, so that is actually puzzling.  A later football injury to the head, maybe?   Thinking out loud.  As you were, everybody.

• Love 6

Wow. I can't speak on the biological father, but his mum is peeved. Sadly, I can see it being true and her wanting this ready-made family with her internet beau. If it is true, it's 100 shades of messed up because if her child's father was involved and she just cut him off, that's cold. How do you tell someone they can't come to doctor's appointments anymore, but your boyfriend from the UK is allowed to be on FaceTime during the birth? I need receipts, but if it's true, she wouldn't be the first woman who hitched her wagon to the assumed better prospect. The grass isn't always greener. I'm sure caches of the now deleted GoFundMe page can be found.

• Love 5

Got it on Jon not being called "Papa" (thanks all) - but I guess he's daddy or whatever now that they're married.

I'd need proof reg. the bf's mom - we don't know what that dude is like either.

Edited by gonecrackers
1 hour ago, OoogleEyes said:

Who carries a toothbrush around with them in anticipation of vomiting? 

When we were in London, we got caught in an unexpected rainstorm without our umbrellas (which were back in our hotel, along with our toothbrushes).  We were surrounded by stores that sold umbrellas.  They probably sold toothbrushes, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 8/13/2018 at 10:49 AM, TresGatos said:

What I found alarming was Rachel commenting twice, that I heard, that Jon would soon be changing Lucy's diapers. Jon may be a great guy (and Lucy's secret father) but he could also be a pedophile looking for a baby girl to have access to. 

I dont get why people are so gung ho about doling out the task of changing diapers to others. Changing a diaper is the EASIEST baby task. How about tasking him with rocking Lucy all night while pacing around the house during her sleep regressions ? Or cleaning up her vomit if she barfs ? Or dropping medicine into her mouth when shes got an ear infection ? I just roll my eyes at this obsession with diaper changing :/

5 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Wow. I can't speak on the biological father, but his mum is peeved. Sadly, I can see it being true and her wanting this ready-made family with her internet beau. If it is true, it's 100 shades of messed up because if her child's father was involved and she just cut him off, that's cold. How do you tell someone they can't come to doctor's appointments anymore, but your boyfriend from the UK is allowed to be on FaceTime during the birth? I need receipts, but if it's true, she wouldn't be the first woman who hitched her wagon to the assumed better prospect. The grass isn't always greener. I'm sure caches of the now deleted GoFundMe page can be found.

I wouldnt put all my money on what her baby daddy's mama says. Might be just a grain of truth. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, snarkish said:

In the article, they call Rachel out on having two passports in a pic. Well, doesn't Lucy need a passport as well to travel to England?

Absolutely! Even newborns must have their own passport nowadays and until the age of 15, they’re only good for five years. Rachel was holding her own and Lucy’s passports. 

• Love 2
On 8/7/2018 at 5:39 AM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

In the other thread people were saying Treat Williams. Is that it?

FTR Cortney went to Spain to meet Antonio, not Italy. 

Yes! I was just about to write (before seeing your post) that when I first saw a pic of Jon, I thought it was Treat Williams. Glad I'm not the only one.

• Love 3
Just now, Mrs. Hanson said:

So according to the upcoming previews, Jon and Rachel sleep together right away?  Am I old fashioned or it that a little soon?  Just me?  Okay then......

These two are like, really into each other.  And that's good, especially because I'm not sure anyone else wants either.

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

So according to the upcoming previews, Jon and Rachel sleep together right away?  Am I old fashioned or it that a little soon?  Just me?  Okay then......

Okay, not just you, but if we believe her, Nicole slept with Azan the day she landed in Morocco. Paul was anxious to sleep with Karine as soon as she passed her STD test and all indications point to Darcey sleeping with Jesse right away. Apparently it’s not too soon to be intimate with “the love of your life.” 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Okay, not just you, but if we believe her, Nicole slept with Azan the day she landed in Morocco. Paul was anxious to sleep with Karine as soon as she passed her STD test and all indications point to Darcey sleeping with Jesse right away. Apparently it’s not too soon to be intimate with “the love of your life.” 

Good to know.  I will still go put on my shawl, play bridge and shoo kids off my lawn.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
On 8/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

So, the baby's daddy was still married while he was dating Rachel, and then he gave up on seeing his daughter because he couldn't afford a $300 paternity test? I mean, poor life decisions all over but come on, grandma is not doing herself any favors airing that dirty laundry. I can't believe Jon ends up looking like the intelligent, responsible one in this situation.

• Love 8