Type keyword(s) to search

Rachel & Jon: Bearded in Britain

• Start Topic

My gadar pings off the charts when Jon is onscreen. He looks to me like the classic ‘bear’, and I’m wondering if he’s so deep into the closet that he can’t even see the light under yonder door and so he dates a lot of women but perhaps avoids sex? And/or he saw in Rachel someone he could have an insta family with and perhaps not have to put out much...Is that a crazy thought?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, pollywood said:

I think Jon is just a nice guy who got into a bar fight when he was younger, maybe defending himself. I don't think there is a deeper story.

I hope that is the case. 

I see a lot of talk about Rachel leaving her other daughter behind. A good friend of mine from Germany moved to the US with her new husband and left her young daughter behind with her ex-husband. Her daughter spent every summer and Christmas holidays with her. Her ex is a good man and she wasn't worried leaving her with him. As soon as the daughter became high school age, she moved to the US to live with her mother. She just graduated college and still lives with her mother. I really thought it would damage their relationship being apart when she was younger but on the contrary, they are very close. We frowned upon it at the time, but it worked for them. 

• Love 8
On 8/24/2018 at 10:31 PM, iwasish said:

Toss in some Jay Leno and that wrestler/fighter with the reddish hair who threw stuff at a bus load of rivals and was arrested. He’s maybe Irish or Scottish?

That would be Conor McGregor, who hails from Dublin, Ireland.

FF5E6D2C-424C-4B81-BF35-C74F0C6BF5CD.png

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, libgirl2 said:

I hope that is the case. 

I see a lot of talk about Rachel leaving her other daughter behind. A good friend of mine from Germany moved to the US with her new husband and left her young daughter behind with her ex-husband. Her daughter spent every summer and Christmas holidays with her. Her ex is a good man and she wasn't worried leaving her with him. As soon as the daughter became high school age, she moved to the US to live with her mother. She just graduated college and still lives with her mother. I really thought it would damage their relationship being apart when she was younger but on the contrary, they are very close. We frowned upon it at the time, but it worked for them. 

Was your friend’s child an only child? In this case, I think it’s a little cruel to break siblings apart based on mom’s libido. My father was temporarily separated from his siblings after a parent’s death and they’re still traumatized by it. Lucy, depending on the length of this stupid karaoke romance, will even grow up with an entirely different accent than her sister. I can’t help but wonder if Rachel’s eldest daughter would feel abandoned.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Was your friend’s child an only child? In this case, I think it’s a little cruel to break siblings apart based on mom’s libido. My father was temporarily separated from his siblings after a parent’s death and they’re still traumatized by it. Lucy, depending on the length of this stupid karaoke romance, will even grow up with an entirely different accent than her sister. I can’t help but wonder if Rachel’s eldest daughter would feel abandoned.

Of course these types of decisions are hard on families, but often parents move for work or a new relationship/marriage without ill effects to the children. And yes sometimes siblings live a part because one parent lives out of state/in a different country. 

I don’t think Rachel would be bad Mom just because she lives in a different country than her child. I think Rachel would be judged less harshly if she was moving for work OR if she were a father who wanted to move aboard for a new marriage (and wanted to have their older child visit holidays and summers). 

If Rachel and Jon are legit it makes more sense to uproot Rachel with Lucy (who’s just an infant) than her elder daughter who’s school age and has ties to her involved father and paternal family in the states. 

All that said, Jon creeps me out and the fighting scares me to death, but the “moving abroad” issue is the least of my concerns. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think Rachel would be bad Mom just because she lives in a different country than her child. I think Rachel would be judged less harshly if she was moving for work OR if she were a father who wanted to move aboard for a new marriage (and wanted to have their older child visit holidays and summers). 

I think that if a mother moves away from her child to a different continent while that child is young to get remarried, something is inherently wrong with that mother. Incredibly selfish. Also selfish when q father does it but the mother has been carrying that child for 9 months. SMH. The only exception is in q case like Hazel where (presumably) she is doing it to eventually get her child back and give him a better future.

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 2

I think there is a difference between moving away from your child for a job and moving away because you met a man online. I might give her the benefit of the doubt if she had been married to Jon all along and he had to move to England. It is an entirely different thing when you seek out someone in another country who you know is unlikely to be able to come to your country. I can’t understand putting someone else before your small child. Don’t have children if you have no problem leaving them behind so you can make a new life with a guy who can never move to where you live. Your responsibility is your child first, not your lust for another person. It’s selfish to choose this new man over your child. Some kids may be ok with it but why risk the emotional well-being of your child? Kids whose parents are away in the military at least know their parents are out making the world a better place. Rachel’s kid can grow up thinking her mother was far away chasing a man.

On another note, I wonder if Rachel even has custody of her daughter. She seems to be much more concerned about the the baby. If she only has the oldest every other weekend or so, she might not see a problem moving away from her. How do you move to another country if you have your child full-time or even half the time? Also, it doesn’t seem Rachel has much money, so how often will she even be able to see her daughter in person each year? 

I don’t have children but, when my mom was dating after my parents’ divorced, she actually turned down a marriage proposal because she felt it might not be the best thing for me at that time. She certainly would never have left me behind in another country for anyone. I was never not her number one priority. That’s something kids need to know in order to feel more secure. 

Edited by MakingBacon
  • Love 20
47 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

I think there is a difference between moving away from your child for a job and moving away because you met a man online. I might give her the benefit of the doubt if she had been married to Jon all along and he had to move to England. It is an entirely different thing when you seek out someone in another country who you know is unlikely to be able to come to your country. I can’t understand putting someone else before your small child. Don’t have children if you have no problem leaving them behind so you can make a new life with a guy who can never move to where you live. Your responsibility is your child first, not your lust for another person. It’s selfish to choose this new man over your child. Some kids may be ok with it but why risk the emotional well-being of your child? Kids whose parents are away in the military at least know their parents are out making the world a better place. Rachel’s kid can grow up thinking her mother was far away chasing a man.

On another note, I wonder if Rachel even has custody of her daughter. She seems to be much more concerned about the the baby. If she only has the oldest every other weekend or so, she might not see a problem moving away from her. How do you move to another country if you have your child full-time or even half the time? Also, it doesn’t seem Rachel has much money, so how often will she even be able to see her daughter in person each year? 

I don’t have children but, when my mom was dating after my parents’ divorced, she actually turned down a marriage proposal because she felt it might not be the best thing for me at that time. She certainly would never have left me behind in another country for anyone. I was never not her number one priority.

I agree. Jon and Rachel refer to their love story as a "fairy tale", but I dont see anything cute about it. What is kind of despicable is the fact that while Jon lives at home to save money, he pays the daycare of a child of a woman he has never met rather than using that money to help out his mother or goodness forbid to stand on his own feet. And Rachel thinking it's cute to pursue a man who lives across the world to bring home to her 2 daughters - one of which he will be claiming as his own, and the other not. The whole thing is like an train wreck but I can't look away. 

It's kind of like watching Teen Mom, seeing those idiots, who instead of realizing that they made a mistake by getting knocked up at 16 and trying to climb out of that hole and bettering their lives, they just keep putting themselves in new relationships and popping out more babies. Most of them have 3 kids by now rather than climbing any financial ladders. Rachel is 33 and seemingly poor. She should have focused her energy on bettering herself for the sake of her kids than pouring money into importing a man. I bet there will be another baby in the near future. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 15

Rachel smacks of desperation & past abuse.  Her friend in a past episode mentioned knowing what her ex had put her through, so there's definitely negative baggage there she should've unchecked before trying again with anyone. It would also explain why she's accepting of Jon's past & his inability to handle stress (baby coos = stress = red flag, Rachel).

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Mark Wahlberg beat a man so badly that he lost an eye. Hasn't impacted his life. Apparently an eye isn't a big deal.

It wouldn’t shock me if once he became famous and the money started flowing in, that he didn’t pay a generous settlement to the guy in return for his not making a big issue of it.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, iwasish said:

It wouldn’t shock me if once he became famous and the money started flowing in, that he didn’t pay a generous settlement to the guy in return for his not making a big issue of it.

He served 45 days on a 2 year sentence.  And actually he didn't even apologize for it until he decided he wanted a pardon a few years ago.  Mark Wahlberg's a filthy racist shit and always has been. 

Jon was a little dude with a lot to prove.  He fought a lot.  I know a lot of guys who fought a lot in their youth, most of them under 5'9".

• Love 19

@Kareem I heard him say that, and it set off alarm bells. So even after getting kicked out of uni, seriously injuring someone, and having four other assault charges throughout the years, he was apparently still fighting. He's in his early or mid 30s, and if he went to uni somewhere between 17 and 22, it doesn't seem like he changed that much or learned any lessons. I don't know if he can't hold his liquor, has anger issues, or has no impulse control, but obviously he needs to change something. He tried to paint himself to be some noble, white knight gentleman. Once? OK. People will challenge you, and you have to defend yourself. Five assault charges and 50-60 fights? I wonder if Rachel has his full history like Pole gave to Karine's parents. You have a problem, sir. Maybe he needs to stay out of the bar. It's one thing to be fighting when you're young, dumb, and a drunk college student. It's another to be fighting as a grown man who needs to keep a job. What employer would employ a hot head? How challenging would it be for him to even get into the States on any type of permanent or long term visa with so many convictions? He couldn't get a tourist visa, so how will he secure a spousal visa? In keeping with that same thinking, how hard would it be for him to land employment with such a colourful record? Rachel obviously isn't thinking about any of that which explains why she married him in Cornwall. She probably thought it would improve his chances of getting a spousal visa. 

Edited by AussieBabe
  • Love 9
On 9/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, charmed1 said:

Yes, she is an only child so I guess that makes a big difference. 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:12 AM, pollywood said:

I think Jon is just a nice guy who got into a bar fight when he was younger, maybe defending himself. I don't think there is a deeper story.

or 30 lolol

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kareem said:

Jon mentioned to her and/or with the friends that his last fight was a few years ago.  Isn't he 30 something?

Yes- this wasn’t one stupid awful mistake when he was young and didn’t have impulse control. This is a pattern. If Rachel has any sense she would be wary. 

• Love 9

Explaining to Rachel WHY he gets into fights: “They think it’s acceptable to say disrespectful things to women.” – Yeah Jon, sure, that’s why you get into fights. lol No wonder his mother looks so worried all the time. Imagine what she's been through with him.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Explaining to Rachel WHY he gets into fights: “They think it’s acceptable to say disrespectful things to women.” – Yeah Jon, sure, that’s why you get into fights. lol No wonder his mother looks so worried all the time. Imagine what she's been through with him.

If he gets into fights when men say disrespectful things to women,  I don’t want to miss a moment of the tell alls when insults fly. 

• Love 12

If Jon’s conviction for fighting and hurting someone means he can never get more than a menial job, how exactly are Jon and Rachel going to be able to afford to set up their own household in the UK?  I cannot remember what Rachel did for a living but it doesn’t seem that it was terribly lucrative.  I wonder how difficult it would be for her to find a job in the UK. I doubt Jon makes enough money for her to be a stay at home mom.  Does his mom assume Rachel and Lucy will just move in?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Five assault charges and 50-60 flights? 

When he said he'd been in so many fights, I couldn't believe it. At first I thought he meant he'd been a boxer or something. Stuff happens when you are young, stupid, and drunk, but this guy sounds like he looks for a fight every weekend. Plus, are these all of the fights, or just the ones where the police showed up?

Why this behavior didn't scare Rachel off, says more about her than it does about him.

Edited by aliya
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, aliya said:

When he said he'd been in so many fights, I couldn't believe it. At first I thought he meant he'd been a boxer or something. Stuff happens when you are young, stupid, and drunk, but this guys sounds like he looks for a fight every weekend. Plus, are these all of the fights, or just the ones where the police showed up?

Why this behavior didn't scare Rachel off, says more about her than it does about him.

Oh absolutely. There are professional boxers who haven't had that many fights during their entire career. You can't tell me that everyone has a bone to pick with Jon or that he just always happen to be in the right place at the right time to defend some poor woman's honour. It seems more likely that he goes looking for fights or is frothing for one when he goes out. To keep getting convicted for the same crime is bloody madness and shows a lack of impulse control. How he's managed to avoid length jail time is a miracle when people spend years behind bars for the most trivial of crimes. I'd bet any amount of money that the # he gave is probably half or only the ones from 18 until present day. Or just the ones he can remember.

His behaviour would scare me. What's Rachel's deal? He claims he has a reason to do better now, but what about his poor mother? She looks weary and tired. I'm sure she was probably the one who had to clean up his mess(es). What happens when he has a few too many during the next night out? 

Edited by AussieBabe
  • Love 10

Jon probably fought because he was drunk and people were picking on him about his size.  Plus he has father issues.  Rachel should insist that he go to therapy before they can move forward.  Since she's desperate , she won't and will just live in fear of angry Jon.

• Love 5
On 9/5/2018 at 10:57 PM, iwasish said:

If he gets into fights when men say disrespectful things to women,  I don’t want to miss a moment of the tell alls when insults fly. 

Jesse better watch out !!!!!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, endure said:

Does anyone know why John lives with his Mum?

He's single and life in England can be pricey . . . especially for a non-professional.  She appears to run an Air B&B, so maybe he helps her with that in exchange for room and board.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

He's single and life in England can be pricey . . . especially for a non-professional.  She appears to run an Air B&B, so maybe he helps her with that in exchange for room and board.

Thanks!

Edited by endure
  • Love 1

I thought that was a possibility, too, (like Nicole's) but I'm almost positive it was a single stone in a solitaire. I'll see if I can get a screenshot

okay I REALLY tried but I couldn’t capture the ring. However, what I could see makes me pretty sure it’s a single stone, and quite large. And quite glassy! Here’s the best I could do (and it’s white, not blue) 

922982AD-3EA4-44DA-A698-098259202600.jpeg

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 1

Her ring could be a white topaz.  Could be a family ring.  Could be a placeholder til he gets her one she likes/really wants.  Regardless, it was a sweet moment.  She got what she wanted and I'm happy for her.  As happy as I can be for reality television people I've never met and have zero vested interest in lol

Now which one of them wears Lucy during the ceremony?  Because you know that's happening!

• Love 8

Lucy is such a cool baby. Did you guys notice how she was watching Rachel when they were standing near the ocean and Rachel was crying? That little baby was so tuned into her mother's face and seemed like she was inquisitive and actually processing what was happening. And it's not like Rachel was sobbing or making a scene, it was very subtle, and Lucy was totally tuned into her. I'm not really a baby person, but Lucy could absolutely turn me. I really love her.

• Love 14

He said his last  fight was when he was in college/ university and he was defending a female from a group of drunk males. I would be grateful for that. He seriously injured someone and paid for it. Unlike US not everyone can go to college just because they want to. He could then was thrown out. That’s life changing. 

Although I wasn’t in 50 or 60 fights I understood his past of fighting, single mom, rough neighborhood. Been there, seen it, done it.  You fight for survival. Unless you’ve been there don’t judge. He changed his life. 

• Love 8
On 9/11/2018 at 5:04 PM, Cinter said:

He said his last  fight was when he was in college/ university and he was defending a female from a group of drunk males. I would be grateful for that. He seriously injured someone and paid for it. Unlike US not everyone can go to college just because they want to. He could then was thrown out. That’s life changing. 

Although I wasn’t in 50 or 60 fights I understood his past of fighting, single mom, rough neighborhood. Been there, seen it, done it.  You fight for survival. Unless you’ve been there don’t judge. He changed his life. 

Maybe. The trouble is, I dont believe half of what he says. 

• Love 5
On 9/11/2018 at 11:40 AM, Teri313 said:

I'm not really a baby person, but Lucy could absolutely turn me. I really love her.

Same here. Lucy is the best argument for unprotected sex with strangers that I've ever seen. She's so darling, even her whimpers are adorable. If you could order one like that, I might be interested.

• Love 8
On 9/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, Cinter said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally wasn't judging him. If you lay your business out on national television, you have to take the good with the bad. Not everyone is going to be understanding or agree that it's not that fair that he was denied for a tourist visa. Every action has a consequence, and unfortunately, having a tough time of it--even years later--is his cross to bear for decisions he made at whatever stage in his life. Fairness is subjective. He also said his last fight was a "few years ago" while talking to his friends, so unless it's terrible editing, I'm inclined to go with what came out of the horse's mouth.

I know people and have family who grew up in the roughest neighbourhoods and projects in NOLA, Chicago, NY, had drug addicted parents, raised themselves, and/or were raised by single mums, had fathers in and out of jail/their lives, but they don't have any fights or as many fights as a heavyweight under their belt. I can't speak on fighting for survival. That's not my lane or anything I'd have knowledge of. He might have changed, and he might have taken accountability and responsibility for his part in injuring someone or whatever the case is. I hope he has. I hope their situation works out in their favour, and I wish them all the best.

Edited by AussieBabe
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

Same here. Lucy is the best argument for unprotected sex with strangers that I've ever seen. She's so darling, even her whimpers are adorable. If you could order one like that, I might be interested.

Lucy's a doll, but I was just thinking how Rachel was telling Jon's mom "if she cries hard for 10 minutes she probably needs a bottle". They are not likely to be filming while she's really fussy or crying a lot. I didn't consider her to be crying during the proposal, just a little fussy maybe, but even so we don't know how many takes they did to get that just right (& it's known 'reality' TV does multiple takes to get the scene the way they want it). She's most likely a very cute, but typical, baby.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Lucy's a doll, but I was just thinking how Rachel was telling Jon's mom "if she cries hard for 10 minutes she probably needs a bottle". They are not likely to be filming while she's really fussy or crying a lot. I didn't consider her to be crying during the proposal, just a little fussy maybe, but even so we don't know how many takes they did to get that just right (& it's known 'reality' TV does multiple takes to get the scene the way they want it). She's most likely a very cute, but typical, baby.

I don't know Crackers, I think they would actually love to have a little wailing-baby/Jon-having-a-meltdown footage. It would support the whole premise that they set up that he "knows nothing about taking care of a baby" and is emotionally fragile and has a hair trigger personality. So far, Jon and Rachel have been pretty boring and normal, as far as reality TV goes.

And - granted, I don't know anything about this - but who let's a baby "cry hard" for 10 minutes? Is that normal?

Edited by Teri313
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

I don't know Crackers, I think they would actually love to have a little wailing-baby/Jon-having-a-meltdown footage. It would support the whole premise that they set up that he "knows nothing about taking care of a baby" and is emotionally fragile and has a hair trigger personality. So far, Jon and Rachel have been pretty boring and normal, as far as reality TV goes.

They could be leading up to that. Just waiting for the right moment to show us what Jons alter ego is like. 

When Jon was setting up the crib, Lucy made a vague whimper or two, barely noticeable, yet Jon comments to Rachel to “keep her quiet”, “it’s quite stressful”

i wouldn’t leave her alone with Jon .... ever.

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 7

who let's a baby "cry hard" for 10 minutes? Is that normal?

If the baby has been put to bed for the night, yes, many parents would wait to see if the baby is actually hungry or just needs to self-soothe and go to sleep. I got the sense from Rachel that Lucy would sometimes cry a little bit when she's first put to bed and sometimes quiets on her own after a few minutes. If she keeps crying, then she's hungry.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

And - granted, I don't know anything about this - but who let's a baby "cry hard" for 10 minutes? Is that normal?

Problem is, there can't be any dialogue while a baby is really crying. Fussing, yeah, but not for real crying hard; it's bound to happen & they'd have to work around it.

She's also an older, more settled baby, & definitely seems to have a nice temperament as Rachel was able to travel with her. I'm just saying there's no way she never cries, & Rachel confirmed that in the comment to his mom.

Also, they did show some crying the first night when he went to 'soothe' her. Not sure how soothed she was by the bearded stranger as of course it was left there, with Rachel listening on the monitor while waiting for sex downstairs.

• Love 2

Crying it out at night after 6 months is a thing/parenting style.  I didn't do it, but some parents do.  Lucy is a normal baby that probably has cranky crying fits.  However she seems to have traveled very well and seems to have a general happy disposition going for her.  She's very cute and is the best part of the show.

• Love 5
On 9/10/2018 at 12:59 PM, silverspoons said:

The ring he gave her looked huge. Was it real? It had to be over a full carat, closer to 2 carats. 

Okay folks, this is something I know a lot about...Its always hard to know the carat size of a diamond on the hand if one doesn't know the ring size or how small or large the hands are. But let's say she has normal hands and fingers, sizewise, and wears an average size 6 ring size. That would definitely place the center stone in at least the 2+ carat range and aint no way a dude working at a recycling center who lives with his mum is buying a diamond that large. Even a shit quality 2 carat solitaire a few years ago was in the $12K range and that's talking shitty quality. His mom doesn't strike me as someone who's family left her a 2 carat family heirloom either, which leaves me to assume its a CZ or a Moissanite, but no way is that stone real. That said, I dont really think Rachel would care, she just wants a baby daddy really badly and as desperate and weird as that appears to many of us, at least she isn't a gold digger expecting a $50k ring like some other 90 Dayers we know...

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Okay folks, this is something I know a lot about...Its always hard to know the carat size of a diamond on the hand if one doesn't know the ring size or how small or large the hands are. But let's say she has normal hands and fingers, sizewise, and wears an average size 6 ring size. That would definitely place the center stone in at least the 2+ carat range and aint no way a dude working at a recycling center who lives with his mum is buying a diamond that large. Even a shit quality 2 carat solitaire a few years ago was in the $12K range and that's talking shitty quality. His mom doesn't strike me as someone who's family left her a 2 carat family heirloom either, which leaves me to assume its a CZ or a Moissanite, but no way is that stone real. That said, I dont really think Rachel would care, she just wants a baby daddy really badly and as desperate and weird as that appears to many of us, at least she isn't a gold digger expecting a $50k ring like some other 90 Dayers we know...

I’m not a jewelry gal (lucky for me, my mom is so I just borrow from her collection for formal events), although I get women who are. I’d rather have a pretty stone I liked that looked nice than $12k on my hand, yes I know people get insurance but still. I think Rachel is just happy, and it’s an attractive piece of costume jewelry. 

• Love 5
On 9/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, Drogo said:

He served 45 days on a 2 year sentence.  And actually he didn't even apologize for it until he decided he wanted a pardon a few years ago.  Mark Wahlberg's a filthy racist shit and always has been. 

Jon was a little dude with a lot to prove.  He fought a lot.  I know a lot of guys who fought a lot in their youth, most of them under 5'9".

I'm going to guess Jon is about 5'6", and Rachel is probably about 5'4". He seems to have some psychological problems dealing with being a fatherless short man. I truly hope he doesn't hurt Rachel or Lucy. He would not be on my short list of dateable men (pun not intended).

• Love 4