Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Better-Like

• Start Topic

Can Nathan come back, please?

LOL at the ongoing vase saga (13 years strong!). The Issa-Molly dialogue is written and executed well, easily my favorite/funniest parts of the episodes.

I don’t care how down and out I was, I would NEVER move in with an ex. They got me with the fakeout at the beginning, though, I totally thought that was Issa getting it on with Daniel. ?

ETA: I have a “We Got Y’all” shirt and it just hit me a couple weeks ago that the logo is problematic, so it’s funny that they’re addressing it now.

Edited by link417
  • Love 15

While I understand how annoying it can be to listen to other people having sex while you're trying to sleep, beggars can't be choosers. Daniel is letting you sleep on his couch. In other words, he is doing you a favor. He shouldn't have to go out of his way to alter his life or schedule because she's there. I do think he owed her a text back to let her know she could come home though. It would have taken two seconds after his sex partner left.

Ha, that girl's loud pants totally cracked me up. I can't blame Daniel for turning off the sound because she was baaaaaaad.

I'm glad that Molly finally cut Dro loose. She tried to set specific boundaries and he agreed to them but then immediately disregarded them. Then it got even worse when he let himself into her place and tried to play coy when she asked for her key back. Like she said, it's her key to her place. She has the right to ask for it back whenever she wants - and that goes double when you just show up inside her house.

The fight during the Lyft ride was both hilarious and terrifying. I use Lyft frequently but thank goodness I've never had an experience like that! I did laugh at the second passenger's disappointment that Issa only had Fruit Frenzy Capri Sun though.

The Molly/Issa fight about the vase was totally realistic, which I loved. That's how it is with long time friends!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12

I love the fake TV shows they film for the characters to watch.  Did Issa say that the sitcom she was watching was a reboot of another show?  Was it a real show - I couldn't catch the name she said.

• Love 7

Molly took care of some loose ends from season 2, getting that key back from Dro.

So she’s ready for a new job, new adventures.

Issa on the other hand can’t seem to decide whether to backtrack with Daniel, who’s doing the passive aggressive thing of trying to make her jealous.  

And not a word about Lawrence was spoken.

Is party Lyft a real thing?  Apparently that first guy not only took care of the guy who wanted to smoke, but also left a $50 tip?

Did he even want to share that ride, especially with some guy picky about the free Capri Suns?

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, SHD said:

I love the fake TV shows they film for the characters to watch.  Did Issa say that the sitcom she was watching was a reboot of another show?  Was it a real show - I couldn't catch the name she said.

She said a reboot of “Kevin”, which I think was a play on “Martin”.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, link417 said:

LOL at the ongoing vase saga (13 years strong!). The Issa-Molly dialogue is written and executed well, easily my favorite/funniest parts of the episodes.

I don’t care how down and out I was, I would NEVER move in with an ex. They got me with the fakeout at the beginning, though, I totally thought that was Issa getting it on with Daniel. ?

ETA: I have a “We Got Y’all” shirt and it just hit me a couple weeks ago that the logo is problematic, so it’s funny that they’re addressing it now.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I understand how annoying it can be to listen to other people having sex while you're trying to sleep, beggars can't be choosers. Daniel is letting you sleep on his couch. In other words, he is doing you a favor. He shouldn't have to go out of his way to alter his life or schedule because she's there. I do think he owed her a text back to let her know she could come home though. It would have taken two seconds after his sex partner left.

Ha, that girl's loud pants totally cracked me up. I can't blame Daniel for turning off the sound because she was baaaaaaad.

I'm glad that Molly finally cut Dro loose. She tried to set specific boundaries and he agreed to them but then immediately disregarded them. Then it got even worse when he let himself into her place and tried to play coy when she asked for her key back. Like she said, it's her key to her place. She has the right to ask for it back whenever she wants - and that goes double when you just show up inside her house.

The fight during the Lyft ride was both hilarious and terrifying. I use Lyft frequently but thank goodness I've never had an experience like that! I did laugh at the second passenger's disappointment that Issa only had Fruit Frenzy Capri Sun though.

The Molly/Issa fight about the vase was totally realistic, which I loved. That's how it is with long time friends!

1 hour ago, SHD said:

It is so good to see such a real and honest friendship between two African American women. The relationship between Molly and Issa is the main attraction of the show for me and the guys are just secondary. I also love me some Kelly who I thought I would hate at first. Molly handled Dro just right. Just cuz he is okay with his open marriage does not mean she has to be. She was right...the can be fuck buddies or friends who do not fuck. Anything in between does nothing for her and everything for him. Daniel is obviously still into Issa and she is just not feeling him that way. Yeah, she is taking advantage of his feelings but it is very human to want that comfort when you lost your decade long relationship and apartment. The real question is why is Daniel letting her do this to him? If she wanted him, she could of had him now and obviously she is really not feeling it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SHD said:

33 minutes ago, BSB said:

Yes, I am going to love “Kevin” this season! Loved the female lockup show from the 1st season and “Due North” was hilariously OTT. “Kevin” looks like an amalgam of all my favorite black sitcoms from the 90s. More Ericka Alexander, please!

+10 for @scrb, it never even dawned on me that “Kevin” was a play on “Martin.” *slaps forehead*

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I did laugh at the second passenger's disappointment that Issa only had Fruit Frenzy Capri Sun though.

If she's gonna have only one Capri Sun flavor, it needs to be Pacific Cooler.  

I really hope the cute Lyft passenger who left her the tip will be on again.  That actor is so sexy; I've been crushing on him since The Vampire Diaries.  

Daniel was being a real ass.  On top of that, I honestly don't care about his actual life outside of his interactions with Issa.

Even though Lawrence isn't there anymore, I hope the real estate friend is still around in some capacity.  He was fucking hilarious.  

• Love 9

I’m glad Molly finally stood her ground with Dro.  She was right, too.  Their hookups are always at Dro’s convenience.  He probably would’ve been mad if Molly had been with some other guy when Dro let himself in that night.

Issa will just have to deal with Daniel’s hookups, frankly.  She’s staying at his place because he’s safe and reliable.  But to her credit, she is learning.  Glad she didn’t give in to that moment.

Loved the cameos.  Erika Alexander, Dawn Richard, etc. 

• Love 2

Damn, Daniel!

OMG those plastic pants. Seems like if you walked too fast for too long you'd set yourself on fire.

I guess we sort of now have confirmed that Dro's wife knows what's up. Polyamory it is, except for the part where he keeps treating Molly like a side piece instead of an equal partner.

And then it went from Party Lyft to Beatdown Lyft.

I'd say good riddance to Dro but like a bad rash he keeps coming back and Molly can't seem to stay on her anti-Dro medication.

So Nathan can afford $50 tips. Issa might want to track him down, but that's probably against Lyft policy.

• Love 6

I didn't notice but one of the actors in the fiction show within the show is Bill Bellamy.  I think there's someone else relatively well-known too but I forget the name.

The Ringer Recappables podcast is recapping this season.  They said the show seems to be a spoof of Living Single.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, scrb said:

I think there's someone else relatively well-known too but I forget the name.

It was a very hefty Darryl M. Bell (Ron from A Different World).  And I guess it was just me, but I didn't find anything funny about that fight in the Lyft....people are fucking insane nowadays and someone could have been shot.  Frankly, dude would have been put out of the car the second I heard him call me and Molly bitches, but that's me.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 14

The Ringer Recappables podcast is recapping this season.  They said the show seems to be a spoof of Living Single.

Since the name of the show is "Kevin" elsewhere I've seen it called a takeoff on Martin. On the Insecuritea podcast the ladies just said it was a nod to several 90s Black sitcoms.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BSB said:

So, on Love Is_____, their show-within-a-show is Marvin, which I believe is a play on Martin. It's got the same type of graphics are art work from Martin. I love that the '90s aesthetic is back, so we'll have Insecure's show-within-a-show be a play on Martin as well.

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Damn, Daniel!

OMG those plastic pants. Seems like if you walked too fast for too long you'd set yourself on fire.

I guess we sort of now have confirmed that Dro's wife knows what's up. Polyamory it is, except for the part where he keeps treating Molly like a side piece instead of an equal partner.

I'd say good riddance to Dro but like a bad rash he keeps coming back and Molly can't seem to stay on her anti-Dro medication.

So Nathan can afford $50 tips. Issa might want to track him down, but that's probably against Lyft policy.

1. Can I tell you that I don't even remember what Daniel and ol' boy were talking about during that scene? I was cracking up at every squeak of those pants. She could never sneak up on anyone.

2. Dro can kick rocks. Clearly the only boundaries he has are that Molly better not say Candace's name, but he couldn't respect Molly's wish to keep theirs strictly sex.

• Love 6

So glad this show is back.  I always forget how much I love it, until it's back on.  My favorite part about the plastic pants scene: "I bought her those pants." I would have so many follow-up questions.

Love Issa and Molly together, so much.  Even when they're not in a good place with each other, there is so much love there.

• Love 2

Few things upon rewatch:

1.  The scene in the music studio is hilarious and I kept rewinding it.  I kinda want a full version of that awful song.

2.  I know it's only been 2 weeks since Issa was demoted, but her boss' reaction was really overblown.  Issa even used Frieda's phrase of not "rocking the boat."  Joanne is probably stressed out because deep down, she knows Issa is right, and they're losing business because of those problems.  It didn't help that Frieda clearly agreed with Issa, but she stayed silent the whole time.  

3.  I'm confused about Dro's marriage with Candace.  Is it ok to just have hookups, or actual relationships with other people?  Molly's right, they need some boundaries with this, even if she would be ok with being part of an open relationship.  I hope they'll go into that a bit more.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 4:15 AM, link417 said:

In all its original and glorious intensity and vigor.    Accusation.  Denial.   Pause.     .......back to pancakes.   They're the show within the show lol!!

On 8/13/2018 at 5:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't disagree with this here, but, it happens(ed) to coincide with Daniel's shitty and coincidental opportunity to be all *this is how much I'm over you* in Issa's face.   Yes it's his place and whatnot but that boy knows exactly what he's doing.  She shot him down before the fundraiser, asked wtf his ass was even thinking coming because her man was there and reminded him that they weren't a couple after he came and got her when she had the car accident.   And just in case he had any more ideas, she matrix'd him when he leaned in.   Daniel is big mad, all this sudden loud-fuckin and trying hard to appear unbothered is his bitch ass way of telegraphing.  

I gotta start watching Love Is, this is the 4th time I've heard about it in less than a week.   While I loved Due North, I hate Kevin.  Which kinda tracks, I'm one of only 3 folk I know who detested Martin.   I can't tell if that's what's bothering me or if it's that a 50 year old Maxine Shaw-ish character isn't working for me.  

On 8/13/2018 at 1:55 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Damn, Daniel!

Fine and generous is a pretty good combo huh?  lol.    It's not just against policy, it's impossible (I drive for Lyft on the weekends).    You get a ping from where to pick up and you don't know where you're going until they actually get in the car (to discourage drivers from refusing rides in advance).   As soon as you complete the trip, passenger details disappear from screen.  All you can look up historically is what time you picked up, duration of the ride, what it cost, tip if they left one, drop off address and accountholder (not nec passenger) name.    It's also against policy to have a non-Lyft passenger in the car during a ride but I was trying not to quibble.  I have ridden home with a(nother) driver's family member before lol.  

On 8/13/2018 at 11:36 AM, luckyroll3 said:

If she's gonna have only one Capri Sun flavor, it needs to be Pacific Cooler.  

I really hope the cute Lyft passenger who left her the tip will be on again.  That actor is so sexy; I've been crushing on him since The Vampire Diaries.  

Daniel was being a real ass.  On top of that, I honestly don't care about his actual life outside of his interactions with Issa.

Even though Lawrence isn't there anymore, I hope the real estate friend is still around in some capacity.  He was fucking hilarious.  

giphy.gif

Girl we have got to start an online petition for the return of Chad.   With no him? and limited Kelly?  I 'm gone need more regularly scheduled pettiness.

Speaking of.  Lol:

On 8/13/2018 at 4:15 AM, link417 said:

Fam? last season did I or did I not say this Blind Side Hero shit was a problem?  I don't even remember how it came up (whether we started discussing it or it was an aside on the show) but I do remember thinking the entire context was a problem.   The logo yes, but the kids being asked not to wreck anything at the site of the fundraiser, just random standout stuff about the organization.   Shoutout to the can't we all just get along tribe but don't ya'll talk me out my Mumia again, hear? 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:21 PM, loki310 said:

I love Issa’s makeup on this show. I’m makeup stupid but would love to rock her look.

Welcome back show!

The way you feel about face goop?  Me, but about hair.   From the opening to about mid show when she changed it, I was crushing on her braids.  I know that sounds dumb considering how completely uncomplicated and just plain old classic style they were but I kept saying, that is beautiful.   The bun was exactly the right girth and placement.   I may have given this too much thought lol!

Don't be mad.  When Molly and Dro were still in bed and he said "but we love pancakes though" I smiled.    Then I was like muffucah get out, that's couple shit.  

• Love 8

I DIED when Nathan and the other guy started fighting in the backseat and Molly and Issa were yelling back and forth and at the end Issa just started screaming. Her timing was perfect.

Molly needs to cut Dro completely off. I said it before and I'll say it again, she doesn't get what she wants with Dro. She's said that she wants monogamy; she can't have that with him and she's known him too long and too well to do the fuckbuddy thing with him.

2 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Girl we have got to start an online petition for the return of Chad.   With no him? and limited Kelly?  I 'm gone need more regularly scheduled pettiness.

I can't wait for the scene with Issa and Kelly talking about Issa's finances. The "she been savin' she been savin'" clip is my favorite from the season 3 trailer. I think I saw a 425 credit score on Kelly's screen and if that's Issa's score, that is terrible. That's like bankruptcy, foreclosure terrible.

• Love 1

Molly needs to cut Dro completely off. I said it before and I'll say it again, she doesn't get what she wants with Dro. She's said that she wants monogamy; she can't have that with him and she's known him too long and too well to do the fuckbuddy thing with him.

Yes. See, this is why I had to wash my hands of Molly's messy love life last season. Once she turned down Sterling K. Brown for Dro, I was through. I just don't get her. She could have everything she asks for, and she'll still find a way to be dissatisfied. To quote The Wire's Marlo Stansfield, "you want it to be one way when it's the other way."

I'm really going to need Issa to get her shit together this season. I read a comment earlier about Issa being the new Lawrence. I didn't see it at first, but yeah, it's quite accurate. She's sleeping on Daniel's couch, she's been on financial thin ice since season one, and she isn't bringing anything to the table besides being a burden. I'm like, girl, you are 30 years old. Why are you out here living your life like you're still 22?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Yes. See, this is why I had to wash my hands of Molly's messy love life last season. Once she turned down Sterling K. Brown for Dro, I was through. I just don't get her. She could have everything she asks for, and she'll still find a way to be dissatisfied.

I guess my love life must be a little too much like Molly's because I get her and I feel for her. The Sterling K. Brown guy was the Good on Paper Ready to Get Married Dude. For him, Molly checked off a bunch of "perfect black woman" boxes, all of which had to do with looks and accomplishments, none of which had to do with who she really is. Fat coworker guy was the I Can't Believe This Fine Chick Wants Me Dude, for whom Molly was a unicorn to be captured.

But Dro, in theory,  is the perfect man. He knows her, like really knows her. They have great chemistry. They have amazing sex. He's smart and funny and (I assume) successfully employed. His "only" problem is he's married. When you've been dating unsuccessfully for over a decade, that shit gets old. And sometimes you hang on to a relationship you know won't work because it's just so painfully close to everything you really want. I'm proud of her for realizing it's not enough with Dro and doing something about it. That couldn't have been easy.

• Love 10
On 8/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, Sheenieb said:

Yes. See, this is why I had to wash my hands of Molly's messy love life last season. Once she turned down Sterling K. Brown for Dro, I was through. I just don't get her. She could have everything she asks for, and she'll still find a way to be dissatisfied. To quote The Wire's Marlo Stansfield, "you want it to be one way when it's the other way."

I'm really going to need Issa to get her shit together this season. I read a comment earlier about Issa being the new Lawrence. I didn't see it at first, but yeah, it's quite accurate. She's sleeping on Daniel's couch, she's been on financial thin ice since season one, and she isn't bringing anything to the table besides being a burden. I'm like, girl, you are 30 years old. Why are you out here living your life like you're still 22?

If nothing else, Issa needs a new job. She said in season 1 that she likes nonprofit work but that particular nonprofit is not working for her, her boss hates her, AND it apparently doesn't pay her enough to live on. As Molly apparently realized, sometimes your work stops working for you and I think Issa is at that point. She might even be at the "quit before you get fired" point, given the way her boss spoke to her. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

If nothing else, Issa needs a new job. She said in season 1 that she likes nonprofit work but that particular nonprofit is not working for her, her boss hates her, AND it apparently doesn't pay her enough to live on. As Molly apparently realized, sometimes your work stops working for you and I think Issa is at that point. She might even be at the "quit before you get fired" point, given the way her boss spoke to her. 

However, they relied on her job to generate some story lines the first couple of seasons.

Sure she could get a better-paying corporate job but would it as interesting to watch?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

However, they relied on her job to generate some story lines the first couple of seasons.

Sure she could get a better-paying corporate job but would it as interesting to watch?

Yes, I think so. There are always #blackwomanatwork stories to tell. Molly's corporate storyline was interesting. And Issa doesn't necessarily have to go corporate in order to make more - she could go for a higher-level nonprofit position (she's effectively been demoted and doesn't like the actual work she's doing anyway), or work at a larger, better-funded nonprofit.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2018 at 7:22 PM, talktoomuch said:

I guess my love life must be a little too much like Molly's because I get her and I feel for her. The Sterling K. Brown guy was the Good on Paper Ready to Get Married Dude. For him, Molly checked off a bunch of "perfect black woman" boxes, all of which had to do with looks and accomplishments, none of which had to do with who she really is. Fat coworker guy was the I Can't Believe This Fine Chick Wants Me Dude, for whom Molly was a unicorn to be captured.

But Dro, in theory,  is the perfect man. He knows her, like really knows her. They have great chemistry. They have amazing sex. He's smart and funny and (I assume) successfully employed. His "only" problem is he's married. When you've been dating unsuccessfully for over a decade, that shit gets old. And sometimes you hang on to a relationship you know won't work because it's just so painfully close to everything you really want. I'm proud of her for realizing it's not enough with Dro and doing something about it. That couldn't have been easy.

Ah but the advantages of youth Lol!!!!   If this ain't a if I'dve known back then what I did now?   I'm not saying the laws of attraction change, but her priorities should have by now (unless they're supposed to be under 30, if so ignore the rest).   We not ever finna make sense out of turning down Sterling for Dro.   All the stuff she "has" with Dro she can create with another dude.   We just won't get to really meet him/know that until Dro's all the way outta her heart though.   

I'm crying!!!  Girl you got a pastor body in your life?  Don't throw him away now, he'll do anything for you.   

• Love 10

I’m just getting caught up.

First of all, Daniel was being petty knocking down females with Issa staying there. Technically she has no space to say anything, but still. 

The tone deaf chick with those environmentally reckless ass pants was doing too much and not enough at the same damn time.

I wasn’t feeling the way Joanne came at Issa. I would have immediately started looking for a new job if my boss talked to me that way.

Mollie is fun and funny and I love her and Issa’s scenes, but she also keeps some bullshit going. It’s one thing to want to set boundaries (which is understandable and bullshit at the same time — y’all have a big boundary named Candice, his wife, and if your conscience is kicking your butt for getting ate out by a married man go find somebody actually available to do it), but I wasn’t feeling how judgmental she was about Dro’s open marriage like she wasn’t being messy by getting involved with him. 

The Lyft scenes were funny. I felt the dude on the Capri Sun thing, even though the better question is, after all these years, Capri Sun still have us out here on some Oliver Twist shit. Three GOOD sips and that motherfucker is gone. I can’t...

• Love 8

Finally settling down to catch up with this season.

I hate Dro.  I always have.  I think he is toxic for Molly.  It would be one thing if she was really comfortable with Dro's open marriage, but she isn't at all.   And when she tries to give him specific boundaries he pushes them and pushes them.  And then he has the nerve to tell her "you need to figure out what you want."  Bitch, she told you want she wanted.  Ugh.

I felt bad for Issa.  She made a comment about walking on eggshells in all parts of her life and it is true.  She is just completely powerless all over the place. Issa and Molly are such a contrast because Molly has a lot of the power Issa doesn't.  She can demand her key from Dro whereas Issa is staying at Daniel's on his whim and doesn;t feel comfortable returning without an all clear text.  Molly can negotiate her employment contract and work on her terms, whereas Issa's is being treated like a second class citizen and can't even point out obvious things to her boss. 

That said, Molly and Issa stay friendship goals.  Their conversations ring so true and sound so natural.  You feel like they've been friends forever.  I love the vase saga!

• Love 3