Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E23: Do You Believe In Miracles?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

My problem is I always hear it with a Jamaican accent and that gives me cognitive dissonance LOL

Is that anything like Jensen only reads and hears stage directions with an Aussie accent? LOL!

• Love 1

Congratulations and good a job well done...wait, not for the episode itself, but to me for FINALLY finishing S9. It was a long and hard slog! Whew. 

As to the episode, too much going on so that nothing really seems to happen, in the end. I will say the part of the episode that engaged me the most is Marvatron trying to act out his story of being everyone's savior, right up until his whole monologue, that is. But, what would Supernatural be without a monster monologue or two? 

Most of the stuff with the Winchesters was just downright stupid though. They locked Dean up, but left him access to everything he needed to summon a demon...so stupid. And then Sam makes a total 180 and decides Gadreel is their friend? Really, Sam? And then Dean knocks Sam out so he can go get killed by himself?....the brain damage must be heightened by the MoC. 

Too bad Dean is a demon, but I'm pretty sure he won't stay one, so, whatever.

However, the feeling it was Bizarro S4 was really mighty this time. Dean gets locked in the panic...er um, the dungeon because of his addiction to demon blood...er um, the Mark of Cain is making him arrogant and bloodthirsty. Sam is told they it could good be useful to use his brother as a weapon... . I could go on, but I don't want to.

But, I made it through the worst and everything is looking better now. ;)

• Love 3

I saw this comment in the Mystery Spot thread yesterday (about Dean's 'death' by vehicular manslaughter) ....

On 8/26/2014 at 11:13 PM, catrox14 said:

Jensen's ability to fake die on screen is not right and should be illegal because he really looks dead, dead, dead. Freaks me the fuck out everytime.

And I had to go and re-watch DYBIM just because. Jensen's ability to 'die' has never been so on-point as it was in this episode. Nearly three years later, all I have to do is imagine that little grunt/gasp sound he makes when Metatron stabs him and I get goosebumps. That, the look in his eyes when he turns his head and sees Sam, and clogged-throat voice when he tells Sam to get out before Metatron comes back and that it's for the best. Well, shit - here comes the tears again. His actual moment of death, that half shocked/half wondrous look before he falls forward onto Sam. Oh my Chuck. Hold me. Whatever you think of story line, Jensen was outstanding in this episode.

• Love 7
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

And I had to go and re-watch DYBIM just because. Jensen's ability to 'die' has never been so on-point as it was in this episode. Nearly three years later, all I have to do is imagine that little grunt/gasp sound he makes when Metatron stabs him and I get goosebumps. That, the look in his eyes when he turns his head and sees Sam, and clogged-throat voice when he tells Sam to get out before Metatron comes back and that it's for the best. Well, shit - here comes the tears again. His actual moment of death, that half shocked/half wondrous look before he falls forward onto Sam. Oh my Chuck. Hold me. Whatever you think of story line, Jensen was outstanding in this episode.

Yeah, his reaction to the angel blade to the chest was emmy-worthy, IMO. And all I need to do is re-watch that scene to remember why I'm still watching this show even now.

For me, no actor I've ever seen "dies" or does "hurt" as well as The Ackles. As an actor, he will forever be the King of Pain to me.

• Love 7
(edited)

I remember watching with my girlfriend the day after. It was her first viewing of the ep. and her reaction was the same as mine. Shock. Disbelief.  And then two words Oh, Noooooooooooooooo!!!! It's amazing to me that he can still make me feel that way even after all of his previous "deaths" on this show.

I even was expecting that he was going to die and be re-born as demon from all the hints that were put out right before the episode. I just didn't expect that his death was going to hit me as hard as it did. I should have known better.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I remember watching with my girlfriend the day after. It was her first viewing of the ep. and her reaction was the same as mine. Shock. Disbelief.  And then two words Oh, Noooooooooooooooo!!!! It's amazing to me that he can still make me feel that way even after all of his previous "deaths" on this show.

I even was expecting that he was going to die and be re-born as demon from all the hints that were put out right before the episode. I just didn't expect that his death was going to hit me as hard as it did. I should have known better.

My only nitpick was that they cut back and forth between Dean/Sam and "Heaven" too much. The super-choppy editing detracted from impact of the scene.

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

As an aside , I wrote little fic about what Dean felt between being killed and Resurrection as a demon. If you guys are interested I'll PM the link.

Yes please.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

As an aside , I wrote little fic about what Dean felt between being killed and Resurrection as a demon. If you guys are interested I'll PM the link.

I'd like to look at it.

How many finales have Sam and/or Dean locking the other in a room? And yet they leave him with demon summoning capabilities. The surrounding bunker isn't demon-proof? "Taco" sounds weird in a British accent. "This is not a bomb we're talking about, this is my brother." Oh, good that sounded believable, intelligent and appropriately Winchestery. I like Crowley insisting Dean order food. Nothing good can come of Dean not being hungry. I love Cas making the Star War reference. He looks so proud. "Now I'm the one who wakes up in the middle of the night seeing my hands killing Kevin." Aw, baby. At least Gadreel went out with a bang. I love Dean's list of things he blames Metatron for. 

Spoiler

Wait, Cubs won in 2016. Metatron died in 2016. https://i.giphy.com/media/7GcdjWkek7Apq/giphy.webp

My "favorite" Dean death will always be season 3, but damn if this one isn't good. "What happened to you being okay with this?" "I lied." "Ain't that a bitch." The brotherly clutching, "I'm proud of us" (damn, those are fitting last words), Sam calling Dean "buddy," and the crying. Oh, God, the crying. 

The "Shake It Off" parody has somewhat ruined the Sam laying Dean down scene because I automatically picture Osric Chau as Sam. Something off about Crowley saying of Sam "bless his soul." And I mean that in best possible way because it sounds oddly sincere. I think it's the sound of Dean's eyes flashing open that gets me even more than the look. 

• Love 1

Agh really annoyed that Meta is still around, although I guess now just an "ordinary " angel? And he list his angelic flock.  Hopefully all to be dealt with more permanently next season. I really want tge angel horde gone.

And Dean "dies" again, or is in limbo to become demonic.  That will be interesting, and no doubt will give Dean even more guilt, as if he could handle any more. And will Sam, for once, actually try to save him? That will be s good change. 

I'm not surprised by Crowley's leaving out info, he's a demon! Dean so should have knifed him immediately when he had the chance.

• Love 1

The angel being killed by the mob of homeless people is ridiculous and the ultimate testament of how low angels have fallen since their badass introduction in s4. 

And a sign of how over deaths on this show I am is the fact I spent Dean’s scene rolling my eyes while muttering “stop dragging it out. Hurry up and die already”. Such an over the top and melodramatic scene bleh

Yeah, I know.  I get that the angels lost their wings, but they can now be punched and beaten up.  Every time an angel gets punched I think back to Dean punching Cas in Lucifer Rising. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

And a sign of how over deaths on this show I am is the fact I spent Dean’s scene rolling my eyes while muttering “stop dragging it out. Hurry up and die already”. Such an over the top and melodramatic scene bleh

You sure that's just cause you are over deaths in the show, or that you really just wanted Dean to die. :P, forever. 

19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

You sure that's just cause you are over deaths in the show, or that you really just wanted Dean to die. :P, forever. 

I'd say its being over the death of Sam and Dean both. At this point it's been there, done that! Secondary characters may still get a response from me due to the fact their place on the show isn't guaranteed, but at this point Winchester deaths have been done far too much for the drama to hook me and obviously the show will never write Sam and Dean off so there's no suspense to it either. 

• Love 1
On 5/21/2014 at 3:07 AM, dr pepper said:

Awww, when Castiel saw the typewriter, i was hoping he'd go to it and type something like:

Suddenly, a truck ran over Metatron.

This would have been my favorite thing ever. 

It sounds like there was a lot of speculation and maybe there were some spoilers, but I didn't anticipate DemonDean (I did wonder if he would get an internal angel). It was devastating. The death and the demon eyes. It was all I could do to not immediately start the next episode. Poor Dean and Sam.

I loved the brothers together. I don't care that they made up so this would hurt more lalala. Team Winchester. Also, thank you for finally having Sam talk about remembering killing Kevin. 

Metatron/Marv never quite resolved for me, and he was super talky, but he did end up fairly formidable.

And so ends S9. After S8, I think I could have handled just about anything. There were more good moments than bad overall, I think and despite being a bit of a mess, it mostly came together. I am cautiously optimistic that S10 is a bit of an improvement.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, The Companion said:

Also, thank you for finally having Sam talk about remembering killing Kevin. 

I guess he never did remember killing the other two angels (in innocent meatsuits), even though they were a lot more hands-on and bloodier.

But they weren't Sam's friends, so I suppose they don't count.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I guess he never did remember killing the other two angels (in innocent meatsuits), even though they were a lot more hands-on and bloodier.

But they weren't Sam's friends, so I suppose they don't count.  

Hey, at least one thing is consistent?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, The Companion said:

And so ends S9. After S8, I think I could have handled just about anything. There were more good moments than bad overall, I think and despite being a bit of a mess, it mostly came together. I am cautiously optimistic that S10 is a bit of an improvement.

I am glad you mostly enjoyed the season.

You'll notice there aren't many comments from me in these last episodes, but that's because I had major issues with some of them - especially with "King of the Damned" - so my comments are all in the "Bitch vs Jerk" thread.

I can say though that I appreciated season 10 much more, so I hope your optimism will be fulfilled.

5 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I am glad you mostly enjoyed the season.

You'll notice there aren't many comments from me in these last episodes, but that's because I had major issues with some of them - especially with "King of the Damned" - so my comments are all in the "Bitch vs Jerk" thread.

I can say though that I appreciated season 10 much more, so I hope your optimism will be fulfilled.

Fingers crossed! I saw some references to discussions in the other threads and do wish I could freely browse them sometimes, but it has been nice to get what I do get. I enjoyed the first half of S9 better than the second half, probably because of a lot of the issues discussed in that thread. 

I will say it again, but I am really impressed by how many people go back to respond to my comments. It is really cool to hear other perspectives on episodes that aired years ago.

Onto S10!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, The Companion said:

It sounds like there was a lot of speculation and maybe there were some spoilers, but I didn't anticipate DemonDean (I did wonder if he would get an internal angel). It was devastating. The death and the demon eyes. It was all I could do to not immediately start the next episode. Poor Dean and Sam.

I don't read spoilers, so I was both shocked and devastated at Dean's death. We've seen Dean die many times in Mystery Spot, No Rest for the Wicked, and Dark Side of the Moon, but this one literally took my breath away. And the scene with Crowley talking to dead!Dean was very powerful, IMO, ending with the black eyes. What a way to end a season. All of us who watch live had a long wait to find out what was going to happen. 😞

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I don't read spoilers, so I was both shocked and devastated at Dean's death. We've seen Dean die many times in Mystery Spot, No Rest for the Wicked, and Dark Side of the Moon, but this one literally took my breath away. And the scene with Crowley talking to dead!Dean was very powerful, IMO, ending with the black eyes. What a way to end a season. All of us who watch live had a long wait to find out what was going to happen. 😞

I imagine there was a ton of speculation and concern with regard to where the writers would take the story! Those demon eyes were devastating and I agree the scene was very well done. We see so many character deaths on this show, but the double whammy of the brutal stabbing and the demon eyes was intense.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

We've seen Dean die many times in Mystery Spot, No Rest for the Wicked, and Dark Side of the Moon, but this one literally took my breath away.

I know I'm a Dean girl and a Jensen girl, but I don't think it's just my bias talking when I say that is one of the most powerful death scenes I've ever seen. From the moment Metadouche stabbed him, the grunt/gasp, the 'dying' eyes, the sheer effort of saying those last word to Sam, it was incredible. I watch a LOT of television and I am a sucker for the angsty/sad stuff, and that sequence stands out as one of the best ever.

• Love 12
(edited)

Crowley's speech at the end sounded like father to son talk. IMO It might be their intent. I mean, Crowley helped (for lack of a better word) Dean to come back as a demon, so he was kind of demonic father to Demon!Dean. There was just so much concern in Crowley's voice. Of course, he had his own agenda, but it seems to me that after all Crowley wanted to see Dean as a friend. 10.02, 10.03, 10.17 made it pretty clear to me. 

Edited by Nick24
On 1/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I know I'm a Dean girl and a Jensen girl, but I don't think it's just my bias talking when I say that is one of the most powerful death scenes I've ever seen. From the moment Metadouche stabbed him, the grunt/gasp, the 'dying' eyes, the sheer effort of saying those last word to Sam, it was incredible. I watch a LOT of television and I am a sucker for the angsty/sad stuff, and that sequence stands out as one of the best ever.

Agree, I can't even begin to describe how much that whole sequence affected me. I was seriously inconsolable for the entire summer.  Really caught me off guard.

• Love 4
On 6/13/2022 at 7:00 PM, Nick24 said:

Crowley's speech at the end sounded like father to son talk. IMO It might be their intent. I mean, Crowley helped (for lack of a better word) Dean to come back as a demon, so he was kind of demonic father to Demon!Dean. There was just so much concern in Crowley's voice. Of course, he had his own agenda, but it seems to me that after all Crowley wanted to see Dean as a friend. 10.02, 10.03, 10.17 made it pretty clear to me. 

I never saw Crowley as Deanmon’s father, but that makes sense.

Crowley always has an agenda.  He thinks only of himself, EXCEPT when it pertains to Dean.  Dean is the only one Crowley really has an affinity for, until S9 when he realizes he doesn’t want his son to die in a shipwreck.

• Sad 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I never saw Crowley as Deanmon’s father, but that makes sense.

Cain would've fit that role better. I wish we got more Cain/Dean interactions. He'd given Dean the MoC after all. Crowley's speech just really impressed me.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Crowley always has an agenda.  He thinks only of himself, EXCEPT when it pertains to Dean.  Dean is the only one Crowley really has an affinity for, until S9 when he realizes he doesn’t want his son to die in a shipwreck.

That's Dean Winchester we're talking about. Supernatural beings always had a soft spot for him. Tessa, Death 1.0 and 2.0, Benny, Gadreel, Cain, Crowley, Amara, even Chuck, etc. 

Edited by Nick24
  • Love 3