Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Meet the Top Ten

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, displayname said:

It's a competitive reality show with an audience vote with the tagline "America's Favourite Dancer". Draw your own conclusions, I guess.

I THINK what you are saying is, she should've won because she got the votes.  What I am saying is the show (starting with auditions) did a lot of manipulation with her partner shouldering the outside styles or choreographers creating an enormous amount of the routines to hide her, etc.  Then followed it up with OTT praise for Mel and needless criticism for her close rivals.  All was to convince the voters that she WAS super versatile.  That's how she became a sytycd fan favorite. 

Granted, the show always has preferred winners like Lex on last season.  He wasn't everyone's choice but they knew he was versatile.  Look how they manipulated for Kiki last season.  He wasn't versatile but the show made sure Lex got an equal amount of praise to keep Kiki from winning.  Had they thrown Lex and the others under the bus enough times but constantly praised Kiki, he probably would've won. 

Because of the requirement to be versatile, a lot of us feel Mel didn't reach this criterion.  But she was a great contemporary dancer.

Edited by crossover
  • Love 3

Wasn't Jean-Marc's wife featured in an episode of WNTW? RIP Stacy & Clinton. 

Edited to add: Yikes! I don't know why the video starts at the Ambulance but everyone was OK!

Melanie LaPatin was on What Not to Wear. One of my favorite ballroom dancers and WNTW makeovers! She and her husband choreographed on season 3 of SYTYCD. She stepped in to Cha Cha with Pasha when his partner became ill in week 3. Even at her age she was still makin' it work!

Edited by CleverUserName975
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CleverUserName975 said:

Edited to add: Yikes! I don't know why the video starts at the Ambulance but everyone was OK!

Melanie LaPatin was on What Not to Wear. One of my favorite ballroom dancers and WNTW makeovers! She and her husband choreographed on season 3 of SYTYCD. She stepped in to Cha Cha with Pasha when his partner became ill in week 3. Even at her age she was still makin' it work!

Tony and Melanie were another force to be reckoned with on the ballroom floor.  It might be a little less obvious with Melanie being a smidge older and somewhat curvier, but in her full competitive prime she would have rivaled Anya for a first class ticket on the hot tamale train -- VIP for sure. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Tikichick said:

They were a spectacular force as competitive dancers themselves back in the day.  Had that extra special something that made those watching unable to take their eyes away from them, no matter how many other couples were also on the floor.  

If I remember correctly, they also competed in both smooth and latin which (at the time anyway) was rare. 

• Love 3

My favorite ballroom dancer was Ryan, and he was very versatile. Ashleigh did well, too, but she definitely benefited by being paired with Jakob, who made everyone look good beside him (heck, he made me like Mollee briefly!). I would love to see them come back as choreographers for a jive. 

• Love 3
On 8/13/2018 at 5:33 PM, Sharpie66 said:

My favorite ballroom dancer was Ryan, and he was very versatile. Ashleigh did well, too, but she definitely benefited by being paired with Jakob, who made everyone look good beside him (heck, he made me like Mollee briefly!). I would love to see them come back as choreographers for a jive. 

I loved Ryan! Still maintain that he did not get nearly enough attention from the judges his season. He made all of his partners look even better than they were.  

Glad to hear Franc/Jean-Marc are still married! I was a little worried.  Would love it if she could pop in this season.

• Love 1