Type keyword(s) to search

S3.10: Here Besides The River

• Start Topic

Violet confronts Nova about her article; Ralph Angel receives a visit from the Department of Children & Family Services; Charley makes another move against Landry Enterprises; Micah confesses to Keke; Nova and Remy decide their future.

Aunt Vi is lot like my older relatives. Don’t talk about family struggles or family shame. Keep it in the family and bury it instead of discussing and learning from it. I think she finally understood when Hollywood talked to her but I doubt she will ever admit that to Nova.

I understand RA’s anger but it was stupid of him to act like he did in front of Dfacs. I also understood some of Vi’s anger towards Darla’s mother but her nephew is no saint and it was his actions that led to Darla probably venting to her mother which led to the call to Dfacs. I won’t be surprise at this point if Darla’s mother decides to get a DNA test.

I think Ant is gonna talk. He’s not going to jail alone. KeKe was right to leave Micah. How is he gonna accuse her of not doing anything except talking as if justifying his stupid behavior?

I would like for Charley to give Romero a chance but as others have said, she has feelings for Jacob, too.

• Love 8

I do think Nova is exploiting her father's lowest point in life for financial profit. Ernest isn't here to approve allowing the world to know his business, and I don't think he would want all that out there. Hell, there is a reason only Prosper knew about it all these years.  So in that aspect I agree with VI. What I don't agree with Vi on is that she views that incident as a sign of Ernest's "weakness". I think it was a sign of Ernest's strength that he was able to overcome his tendencies and go on when all he wanted to do is give up. I know it is a good thing that men are supposedly inspired by the article, but it makes sense that as his sister, Vi would be the most protective over Ernest's memory.

I hate how the Bordelons handled the situation with Blue. RA doesn't stop to think for one damn second.  Stop worrying about who called-it is moot at this point. Put on your best and most mature behavior in the moment and then lash out once they leave. I was on Vi's side until she acted like RA was some saint that was there every moment while Darla was doing drugs and ho'ing it up. Nah, your nephew was in jail and has narrowly escaped going back several times since he got released. Darla's mom should have mentioned how RA is on his high horse about custody and refusing to compromise on a fair agreement so she felt backed into a corner. Vi would have been just as indignant, but maybe it would have made her consider that RA needs to work out arrangements with Darla,and maybe she would have encouraged him to do so.

Oh, boo-hoo, Nova and Remy, wah-wah. Miss me with all that BS. Remy thinks he and Nova are "right for each other"? Mr. I want-to-get-married-again-and-maybe-have-kids thinks Ms. Free-spirit-don't-know-what-I-want-half-the-time Nova is right for him?HAHAHHAHA Ain't no way.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 16

I need to re-watch this ep cause I wasn't totally paying attention to everything.

Go Keke! Micah's been on my nerves most of this season. I know he's young and he's still dealing with stuff from the cop abuse... but I just can't. Not to mention, his woke activists friends story is just not interesting to me. 

Nova and Remy... I'm still side-eyeing both of them. I just don't ever want to see Remy trying to sniff around Charley ever again. 

47 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I was on Vi's side until she acted like RA was some saint that was there every moment while Darla was doing drugs and ho'ing it up. Nah, your nephew was in jail and has narrowly escaped going back several times since he got released. Darla's mom should have mentioned how RA is on his high horse about custody and refusing to compromise on a fair agreement so she felt backed into a corner. Vi would have been just as indignant, but maybe it would have made her consider that RA needs to work out arrangements with Darla,and maybe she would have encouraged him to do so.

I can't say I was ever on Vi's side ... though I did note that she could drop everything for Ralph Angel but couldn't pick up the phone when Charley called her in need... but I agree with what you posted on this. Part of why they are where they are now is RA's handling of the custody situation so far and how he's still really angry about Darla not being honest about Blue's paternity. He acts like Darla hasn't tried to work out things amicably for a while and put a formal plan in place for custody. Him changing things at the last minute for Vi's party was the final straw for Darla. If Darla had pulled something like that on RA, he would've flipped out. Darla asked for 50/50 and he shot her down. He acts like she hasn't tried and of course none of the family has tried talking to Darla about it or at all. That's also a problem in this whole situation cause Vi can't seem to act civil in Darla's presence either and she doesn't have RA's youthful immaturity as an excuse. I can't help but feel there should have been a scene with Vi (or Charley or Nova) talking to Darla about the Blue custody situation at some point in all of this. I don't think Mrs Sutton calling DFACS was the greatest move but if Darla is telling her mother how RA is behaving whenever she tries to work out a formal custody arrangement with him, I can see why she did what she did (even if I don't agree with it). RA has been frustrating about this IMO because he's still too focused on his anger/hurt about the paternity lie and blows up too easily whenever he's around Darla. 

5 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I would like for Charley to give Romero a chance but as others have said, she has feelings for Jacob, too.

Romero seems like a nice guy but I am just not seeing any sizzle between them or genuine romantic interest from Charley towards him. I can see Romero being a good soundboard for Charley but she's not giving me anything that she sees him as anything other than a decent guy who she can have a pleasant conversation with. Certainly nothing to show that she's interested in pursuing any type of dating or romantic relationship with him. Colton Landry is trash like his daddy but I did find it funny that he seems to know Jacob is hung up on Charley from his comment to her about it. Not like QS is giving us much either way with Charley/Romero or Charley/Jacob cause both men go missing for eps at a time. 

I wish Charley's story to take on the Landry family was paced better and onscreen more cause I feel like that story gets less screentime than all the others yet it's an important story because it's about saving the land. I could certainly do with less Remy/Nova and less of Micah and his woke friends storylines.

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 9

Forgot to add how proud I was of Keke. That was a pointless act. Nothing is going to take back the atrocities done  back in the day, so what did that act solve? While Micah has the privilege of being able to walk around with his head in the clouds while going through his identity crisis, Keke is doing what she needs to do to secure her educational future. So glad to see a young girl putting herself first and not getting wrapped up in her boyfriend's issues. Go Keke!

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 19

I can't say I was ever on Vi's side ... though I did note that she could drop everything for Ralph Angel but couldn't pick up the phone when Charley called her in need... but I agree with what you posted on this. Part of why they are where they are now is RA's handling of the custody situation so far and how he's still really angry about Darla not being honest about Blue's paternity. He acts like Darla hasn't tried to work out things amicably for a while and put a formal plan in place for custody. Him changing things at the last minute for Vi's party was the final straw for Darla. If Darla had pulled something like that on RA, he would've flipped out. Darla asked for 50/50 and he shot her down. He acts like she hasn't tried and of course none of the family has tried talking to Darla about it or at all. That's also a problem in this whole situation cause Vi can't seem to act civil in Darla's presence either and she doesn't have RA's youthful immaturity as an excuse. I can't help but feel there should have been a scene with Vi (or Charley or Nova) talking to Darla about the Blue custody situation at some point in all of this. I don't think Mrs Sutton calling DFACS was the greatest move but if Darla is telling her mother how RA is behaving whenever she tries to work out a formal custody arrangement with him, I can see why she did what she did (even if I don't agree with it). RA has been frustrating about this IMO because he's still too focused on his anger/hurt about the paternity lie and blows up too easily whenever he's around Darla. 

Yeah, all of this. Darlene had a lot more restraint than she should've. What you're not going to do is come up in my house and insult my child. Darla has a lot to atone for, and good on her for getting herself together, but the reason why they're in this shit is because RA couldn't be mature about splitting custody. Darlene was wrong for calling ACS and not letting Darla in on it before she made the call, but RA missed out on Blue's life because he was involved in fuckshit that had nothing to do with Darla. He needs to accept his own responsibility. I don't think that he should lose custody because Blue will be the one to suffer for it, but it should definitely be joint.

Yes, Charley! Continue making boss moves. That 1% has now grown to 11%. 

Lawd if it ain't frustrating but true to life about how the older generation views depression. Nova shouldn't have to run her articles by Vi, but a heads up would've been nice. 

If Nova and Remy are done, then what was the point of even putting them together? 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

Lawd if it ain't frustrating but true to life about how the older generation views depression. Nova shouldn't have to run her articles by Vi, but a heads up would've been nice. 

If Nova and Remy are done, then what was the point of even putting them together? 

Shows how little I've been paying attention. I thought they were giving it a go. I do think the writers paired Remy with Nova to give Remy some reason to still be on the show. After his breakup with Charley, Remy's character was expendable. 

• Love 1

Vi isn't old, but she's acting like an old woman.  I didn't like how she talked to Darla's mom.  BUT, the elephant in the living room, the thing no one wants to discuss is colorism.  Vi feels, "here's this light skinned woman with all of this money (WTF money???) coming in NOW to take Blue from his family."  Also, when Darla was in her disease and RA was in jail, it was she, Vi who took care of blue. 

What Vi should have told Darla's mom was this, "Look, we all love Blue, that's what's important.  The more people he has to love him, the better.  RA and Darla need to sit down by themselves and hash this custody thing out."

But again, I have a HUGE issue with RA.  Either Blue's paternity matters or it doesn't.  The reason he's not with Darla is because he found out Blue wasn't his.  So that means it bothers him that Blue isn't his.  But if that bothers him, then Blue might bother him also and RA might let that little fact slip.

RA and Darla need to figure this out on their own and everybody else, especially the Bordelons need to but the fuck out.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

I do think the writers paired Remy with Nova to give Remy some reason to still be on the show.

Yep. I agree. And now that they're over, what's his point on the show going to be? I don't think the show has been renewed for another season but there are still several eps left in S3. 

51 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Vi isn't old, but she's acting like an old woman.  I didn't like how she talked to Darla's mom.  BUT, the elephant in the living room, the thing no one wants to discuss is colorism.  Vi feels, "here's this light skinned woman with all of this money (WTF money???) coming in NOW to take Blue from his family."  Also, when Darla was in her disease and RA was in jail, it was she, Vi who took care of blue. 

I also thought about colorism in that scene. It would have been interesting to see it be brought up more directly. 

I am in the Queen Sugar hashtag on twitter and it's messy about Vi. A lot of folks are celebrating how Vi told Darlene off but I think Vi didn't actually win the battle and her anger was shortsighted. If anything, instead of storming over to Darlene's, she should've been talking to Ralph Angel to calm him down and to find out what is going on in greater detail. It's great Charley, Nova, and Vi want to support Ralph Angel but I feel like they don't really know what is going on cause he can't talk about things half the time without his voice disappearing or storming off. 

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

RA and Darla need to figure this out on their own and everybody else, especially the Bordelons need to but the fuck out.

I wish but that's why they are where they are now. I put the blame on RA as Darla has tried and tried. I think mediation is best cause now impartial people will be involved to help straighten things out. 

So are we going to lose Romero now for a couple of eps?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

A lot of folks are celebrating how Vi told Darlene off but I think Vi didn't actually win the battle and her anger was shortsighted.

Once again, it's about colorism, I think that's what people reacted to on Twitter.  What folks on Twitter saw was a light skinned black woman telling a dark skinned black woman that YOUR family doesn't know how to raise MY grandchild.  The fact is, love her or hate her, Vi and the Bordelons raised Blue when both RA and Darla weren't around for various reasons. 

• Love 1

Damn you, RA. You don't take your kid to the social worker's (or whoever that was) office, and sit the kid down next to you so he can hear an adult conversation like that. That's not good parenting, Blu should not have to hear any of that. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The fact is, love her or hate her, Vi and the Bordelons raised Blue when both RA and Darla weren't around for various reasons. 

This.  And Darla's family didn't have any problem letting the Bordelons raise him and support him, even though they knew from the jump that it probably wasn't even RA's child.  Now, all of a sudden the DNA matters....when it's convenient for them.  That's the part that makes me understand Vi's anger and RA's frustration (and I hate RA cause he's a fucking man-child).  I can also see why Vi will probably never accept Darla.  Despite the stride's that Darla has made and her (current) success at sobriety, Vi will never be able to get that image out of her head of having to rescue Blue while strung out Darla and her john were screwing next to and sweating all over the child.  My brain certainly flashes back to it every time Darla talks about sharing custody....  Is that fair to Darla?  Probably not.  But she can't change the image they have her; they have to decide to do that on their own.  

I am just going to continue to ignore Nova and Remy......

Loved Charley's take down of the Landry son, especially since he was so damn smug when he walked into the first meeting.  Also, I'm dying for an opportunity to use the line, "I did not come here to negotiate," complete with neck roll.  Too bad I work in a non-profit and we have to beg for every dime we get!  Probably wouldn't go over well with our funders/donors.  

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Wait. How did Nova & Remy end up involved? Eww!

There was a mild flirtation in the season finale but this season they went fishing and bonded. Remy wasn't shy about pursuing Nova. Nova tried to resist because of her sister but they connected again at a cookout. Nova eventually admitted to Charley about her and Remy. Remy talked to Charley almost justifying it.  Now it's over. It never came across as carefully thought out. 

1 hour ago, Dee said:

This show has become nearly unwatchable.

It doesn't seem like the showrunners had a well thought out plan for some of their characters or what to do with some of them once the story arc was over. Remy and Hollywood are just there. I get Hollywood is planning for the wedding  but there isn't any other story for him and there's a potential story for him with the money settlement he got. There's nothing for Remy to do. 

• Love 2

Why would Nova not let her family know that she was publishing a poem about her father?!?! Seriously, everyone in this family need to sit down and just talk everything out, ASAP! I can see why Vi would be pissed at Nova telling everyone about his issues with depression without giving her a heads up. It also seems a little questionable that she is even using this story in public, as Earnest clearly considered this a private thing, that not even his kids knew about. But, Vi was way over the top in telling Nova that her soul was damaged or something for it, and her reaction seemed to be very much of an older generations reaction to mental illness. Its an "illness" that must be kept secret, especially for the man of the family, who should be "stronger" than struggling like that. If anything, it shows what a brave man he was, dealing with running a farm, raising a family, and all the stress of day to day life, while living with depression. 

Yeah RA, yell at the social service people who are trying to see if your a fit parent, thats a super smart plan. Running around being pissed off all the time and trying to act like a badass just makes him look pathetic and unstable. I dont think that RA is really a danger to Blue or anything, but the guy isnt exactly the most stable person in the world. I guess we should consider it progress that the guy hasn't shoved anyone against a wall lately, or threatened anyone with a gun. Honestly, I want to root for RA, but he is just such a whiner, its hard to get behind him. 

Go Keke! Focus on school and college, not Micah and his Woke pals and their drama. I know they didnt mean to set that building on fire, but it being burned down really is terribly disrespectful, and they were so dumb with their vandalism plan, its not even surprising that things went south. Run Keke!

• Love 7

I have a feeling Hollywood's moping around because it would have been his deceased baby's 11th birthday is a prelude to Hollywood wanting another baby because he was never really able to be a dad and Vi, at 60 yrs. old not being able give him one. Otherwise, why even insert that scene in to the episode? Let the drama begin......

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4

Heh, that little pissant thought it was only going to be about a sidepiece. Charley schooled him though.

Was that social worker trying to insinuate that RA is a drunk or a drug addict? That question about Blue having to wake him up was fishy.

How do Darla's mother and Vi know each other? It sounded like they had some history that maybe wasn't entirely to do with Blue.

Wonder how the police zoomed in on that one woke kid involved in the arson? And what are the odds he won't blab about his cohorts to try to save himself?

So Nova and Remy broke up. I mean, I'm glad but why now? What was the point of that whole thing other than to rile up the audience?

This episode felt to me like a lot of disconnected puzzle pieces that hadn't quite been put together into a whole picture.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was that social worker trying to insinuate that RA is a drunk or a drug addict? That question about Blue having to wake him up was fishy.

How do Darla's mother and Vi know each other? It sounded like they had some history that maybe wasn't entirely to do with Blue.

Wonder how the police zoomed in on that one woke kid involved in the arson? And what are the odds he won't blab about his cohorts to try to save himself?

So Nova and Remy broke up. I mean, I'm glad but why now? What was the point of that whole thing other than to rile up the audience?

This episode felt to me like a lot of disconnected puzzle pieces that hadn't quite been put together into a whole picture.

As for the social worker, it makes me wonder what exactly did Darla's mother say. 

I think there's a deleted scene because it seem Vi knew to confront Darla's mother.

I think the police zoomed in on Ant because it was his bag that burned and there might've been something inside that didn't burn up that identified him.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 7:39 AM, AgentRXS said:

I was on Vi's side until she acted like RA was some saint that was there every moment while Darla was doing drugs and ho'ing it up. Nah, your nephew was in jail and has narrowly escaped going back several times since he got released.

I'm never on Vi's side with this.  Yes, Darla was in a very low place when Blue was found, but not for one minute has Vi congratulated her on getting her act together, or making her sobriety her number-one focus or anything.  The entire Bordelon family lost any moral advantage when Charlie fired Darla because poor li'l RA was mad. 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 AM, Chick2Chic said:

That's also a problem in this whole situation cause Vi can't seem to act civil in Darla's presence either and she doesn't have RA's youthful immaturity as an excuse

Yep -- not once.  This is not the same woman who was druggin' and ho'in' when Blue was born.  Darla has reinvented herself -- something RA has yet to do (although the cop at the Child Welfare office may have helped).

On 8/2/2018 at 3:03 PM, luckyroll3 said:

I'm dying for an opportunity to use the line, "I did not come here to negotiate," complete with neck roll.  Too bad I work in a non-profit and we have to beg for every dime we get!  Probably wouldn't go over well with our funders/donors.  

If you find out that they're fans of the show and can dress like Charlie...

• Love 2

It's interesting how RA can tell Blue that he did bad things but isn't a bad man and he's never going to do bad things again, but can't extend that thinking to Darla.  If he had agreed to 50-50 custody when Darla asked, he would have done better by Blue, Darla, himself and his whole family.  Instead, he is still doing bad things by wanting to keep Blue away from his mother because he can't make a distinction between Darla's past bad acts and Darla not being a bad person.

• Love 10
On 8/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, Sheenieb said:

They seem to be slapping things together this season and dropping it. I also don't see te point of Davis haing the teenager just yo drop it? Micah instead is being a brat with his new pack instead of dealing with having a sister. He hasn't even mentioned it!

On 8/2/2018 at 3:49 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Darla's parents are funding this entire thing for her, the house, the job, calling child services. RA was handling it alone, they only now got Vi only got involved because of Darla's manipulating mother.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Darla's parents are funding this entire thing for her, the house, the job, calling child services. RA was handling it alone, they only now got Vi only got involved because of Darla's manipulating mother.

RA's house and farm which came from his father, plus some of Charley's money, are financing RA, too.  Vi covered for him in the beginning of the series with the stolen goods and the gun, or he'd be back in jail right now, and who knows for how long since he was already on probation and violated it by committing another crime and having a gun.  The only thing he's done on his own is his job at the fish place. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

RA had his family watching Blue for years while he was in the pokey plus Charley paying legal fees for him now while he lives in a house he inherited. I actually don't care that he inherited the house nor the land he works on, only that he tried to act like he bought that house he lives in like he's this self-made man who worked for everything he has while she is a spoiled girl with financially well-off parents. Nah. He can miss me with that attempt to run her down. And didn't Charley fork over some of her own money for crops for the land and whatnot? I don't really care about that either except only in that if RA tries to act like he's not also benefited from family throwing money or help his way. Darla was actually handling the custody stuff solo in trying to talk to RA and he didn't want to hear it. I suspect Darla vented to her mother how RA wouldn't really work with her on a formal agreement plus he'd just denied her the 50/50 split so Darlene called children's services on him to up the ante. I don't care that Darla's parents are helping her with a place. She needed a place since she didn't have a home to go to post rehab and her parents were able to help her in setting down roots.  She's working and working on setting a stable environment for her son. No shame in that nor in her parents helping her achieve that. And if Darlene is paying Darla's legal representation then it's no different nor worse than Charley paying for Ralph Angel's attorney.

And reading @izabella's post, she's more succinct with the point I was trying to make.  

The only thing I want to see is an explanation of why Darlene & her hubby sent Vi money for Blue but didn't offer to raise him. I can only fanwank at this point that either their lifestyle couldn't handle an infant to raise or felt that Blue was already comfortable where he was  & they didn't want to uproot him. Unless I missed an explanation.  

• Love 6
On 8/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, Arcadiasw said:

On 8/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, Arcadiasw said:

It doesn't seem like the showrunners had a well thought out plan for some of their characters or what to do with some of them once the story arc was over. Remy and Hollywood are just there. I get Hollywood is planning for the wedding  but there isn't any other story for him and there's a potential story for him with the money settlement he got. There's nothing for Remy to do. 

Maybe Remy is just there for eye candy?   I got no issues with his standing around looking good.  This old broad sure thinks he's awful purty ? 

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Dee said:

He's been a cutie since The Cosby Show.

I think his peak was as Sean on Girlfriends, when he played Tracee Ross's love interest (they were one of my favorite couples until he dumped her in a trifling way).

• Love 1
On 8/9/2018 at 7:03 AM, Empress1 said:

I think his peak was as Sean on Girlfriends, when he played Tracee Ross's love interest (they were one of my favorite couples until he dumped her in a trifling way).

Sounds like a trend...

• Love 2