Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

I think Hazel is a nice name.  Not common, but also not some made-up name.  I haven't taught any Hazels, but as someone who teaches a lot of immigrants, I find it's not uncommon for parents to give children "western" names that are more old-fashioned than typical.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Who I see every time I look at Mr. Life Coach:  convicted murderer and monster Paul Bernardo

bernardo-mugshots.thumb.png.5ad1002a41afef9ac1e56a0d0e74ce94.png

A little off topic but that whole situation was awful. I was a few years younger but grew up not too far from where it happened, my mother was afraid to let me walk to school when those girls disappeared. It was my first inkling that evil existed in the world. I will never forget it, poor girls. I still remember our teacher talking to us about it, crying....wow sorry that got dark! Yea Jesse is a dirt bag and Darcy is nuts and belongs on real housewives.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 4

For travel to some countries, you have to physically send them your passport when you're getting a Visa.  It can be really scary since your passport can be out of your control for months and there's nothing you can do except wait.

Jesse and Darcey:  Damn you Aryan youth for making me feel bad for Darcey.  She is so thirsty it hurts.  Everything he's said has been very logical, even if poorly stated.  She is not the one for him.  And she's ridiculous.  She took his valid advice that she work on herself, meaning personality, and decided he meant physically by losing weight, toning down the make up, and adding another two feet of horse hair.

Jon and Rachael:  Never ever travel anywhere, especially with a baby, without some spare money for emergencies.  They could work, I'll reserve judgment.

Pole and Karine: Sweet god is he creepy.  With his sniffing and, "she knows the ways of a woman".  And Karine, you are actually 8.  Lose the emojis and costumes.  And you also had 4 months to learn a little English.  Way to not try at all.

Tarik and Hazel/Frank:  Thank you for bringing along your snarky brother who will totally nail you (with love) when you crash and burn.  Pro tip: sexy selfies are not a standard sign of deep shyness.

Ricky and I forget her name:  Don't care yet, if ever.

Angela and Michael:  Wow, just wow.  Africa has states?  Nigeria is the same as Africa?  Too dumb to travel.  And that purse kills me.  Along with the very suspect idea to dress him entirely in Trump/MAGA wear.  Since you know the Don is so cool with the dark people from other countries and all...

8 hours ago, Lesia said:

that would likely be DER KOMMANDANT, or maybe even... DER KOMMISSAR!!

Well, he is in town...

• Love 10

Seeing how thick Jon's beard is, seriously it looks like he has a small, furry animal living on the bottom half of his face, I imagine the rest of him is equally hairy.  His back, shoulders, ass....::shudder::  I hate hairy men.  Also, being the cave-man he appears to be, I'm sure he doesn't do the required man-scaping.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:42 PM, millennium said:

Not to belabor the point, the comment I remarked upon was (and I'm paraphrasing), "he's so focused on the boobs, he won't notice the penis."

I've said my piece and I'd prefer to be done with this.

In this context, I agree with you completely.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Kangatush said:

And that purse kills me. 

OMG, I forgot about that bag, I can only imagine Michael's mothers face when she is gifted such a gem.  It's the Princess Carlotta of purses, (See Dick Van Dyke Show for the Princess Carlotta Necklace, tee hee).  

Angela just might be older than her future mother in law.

• Love 3

If there ever is a 90 day convention, I guess I will have to walk in with the red makeup bag on one arm, the prayer purse/gun holster on the other, while also wearing a fanny pack.  I wonder if the prayer purse also has a built in cigarette lighter or ashtray. Because you know guns, smokes, and bible verses go well together. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo
I'm tired and using the wrong words
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

If there ever is a 90 day convention, I guess I will have to walk in with the red makeup bag on one arm, the prayer purse/gun holster on the other, while also wearing a fanny pack.  I wonder if the prayer purse also has a built in cigarette lighter or ashtray. Because you know guns, smokes, and bible verses go well together. 

If you're not wearing a cold shoulder shirt, then you're doing it all wrong. 

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

If you're not wearing a cold shoulder shirt, then you're doing it all wrong. 

Oh man I hate those things but maybe, as long as I also have on terrible leggings too. Those shirts are like man buns, why aren't they gone yet? 

• Love 8

Even if Melissa was who she claimed to be; she didn't invite Ricky to come to her country and meet her.  He didn't include her in the planning.  He was like hey I'm coming to your country meet me @7.  Even if she were a real girl, she should have let him sat there.

He's been financially supporting her, so I'm thinking she should cut him some slack and not leave him sitting there. At least not if she wants to continue getting paid.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, EllaDisco said:

I think Hazel is a nice name.  Not common, but also not some made-up name.  I haven't taught any Hazels, but as someone who teaches a lot of immigrants, I find it's not uncommon for parents to give children "western" names that are more old-fashioned than typical.

Yes, 100%. I have seen the young children of immigrants with names like Nancy, Jane, and Johnny. 

On 8/15/2018 at 10:31 PM, Eme said:

Jon seems to be a little "off" personality-wise.  Can't wait to see what happens next week with the baby on board....

I think it's just maybe a combination of British culture, his level of education, his prematurely grayed hair and giant beard. What i dont understand is what a guy like that was doing on a karaoke app ... there must be other ways to pick up women online

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lily247 said:

Yes, 100%. I have seen the young children of immigrants with names like Nancy, Jane, and Johnny. 

Bay area here, lots of Ethels, Ruths, and Esthers. My friend named one of her kids Eleanor.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to meet a Hazel. It works, and I like it.

• Love 1

I have a friend who was horrified that her daughter was going to name her first child Hazel. Fast forward 7 years and now the name just "fits" the girl and Grandma is fine with it. Hazel is also in the top 50 girls names on last year's Social Security Name list, so it's gaining in popularity. This Hazel also has a little sister, DORIS, but I don't know if that's trendy or not. 

17 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

On the show Outdaughtered there is a Hazel.  To answer your question, as someone who works in a public school I have seen no Hazels, ever.  

Julia Roberts has three kids, and one of them is named Hazel. 

John Krasinski (“Jim” on “The Office”) and his wife Emily Blunt also have a daughter named Hazel.

I’ve had many students from the Philippines  in my classroom over the years and their names are either really “old” sounding or they are an amalgamation of mom & dad’s name. I had the same student for two years in a row, Harold, along with his peer Arlen, whose parents were named Arlene and Nelsen. My “work husband”, a math teacher who was born in the Philippines, confirmed that it’s very common for parents to typically go with one of the two aforementioned methods of naming  their new babies. The “older sounding names” are usually chosen to honor someone’s relative that has passed away before the baby was born. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bridget said:

Julia Roberts has three kids, and one of them is named Hazel. 

John Krasinski (“Jim” on “The Office”) and his wife Emily Blunt also have a daughter named Hazel.

I’ve had many students from the Philippines  in my classroom over the years and their names are either really “old” sounding or they are an amalgamation of mom & dad’s name. I had the same student for two years in a row, Harold, along with his peer Arlen, whose parents were named Arlene and Nelsen. My “work husband”, a math teacher who was born in the Philippines, confirmed that it’s very common for parents to typically go with one of the two aforementioned methods of naming  their new babies. The “older sounding names” are usually chosen to honor someone’s relative that has passed away before the baby was born. 

Something else I have noticed, that you semi touched on, was foreign born parents seem to get a hold of baby name books from the 1950's and 1960's.   A lot of Margaret, Linda, Mary, Susan.

Here's a novel way to choose a name: A Chinese coworker  with the sur name of Liu ,  said the name is so common they look in the phone book and see what names are taken and select one either not used or with the fewest uses.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2018 at 11:13 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Want to make everyone aware that Drogo has announced a live chat during the 9pm show. Check the main topics listings. Hilarity will ensue. Hope to see you all there.

@Drogo

omg omg omg omg...................................................see you then.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

I have a friend who was horrified that her daughter was going to name her first child Hazel. Fast forward 7 years and now the name just "fits" the girl and Grandma is fine with it. Hazel is also in the top 50 girls names on last year's Social Security Name list, so it's gaining in popularity. This Hazel also has a little sister, DORIS, but I don't know if that's trendy or not. 

Wasn’t there a Seinfeld episode about the word Doris rhymes with?

• Love 3

I'm in my late 60's and had an Aunt Hazel - her hubby fondly called her Haze sometimes.  I guess it is old fashioned and when I was naming my babies in the early 70's I wouldn't have considered it - but, I really do love it now.  

On 8/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, zillabreeze said:

I can't imagine what flight attendants have to deal with.  Yokels looking like they just cleaned the garage

On my last transatlantic flight I had an aisle seat and a very large man came strolling past me.  He stopped, his ass level to my face, and it reeked!!!  I couldn't imagine having to sit near him.  Flight attendants absolutely have a lot to deal with. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, LazyToaster said:

I'm in my late 60's and had an Aunt Hazel - her hubby fondly called her Haze sometimes.  I guess it is old fashioned and when I was naming my babies in the early 70's I wouldn't have considered it - but, I really do love it now.

The name Hazel probably went out of style because of the show “Hazel” starring Shirley Booth. Memba her?

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

The name Hazel probably went out of style because of the show “Hazel” starring Shirley Booth. Memba her?

I do!  You are probably onto something - she was the maid.  But, I liked her!

• Love 1

I am watching the rerun of this tonight. OMG... I want to bitchslap Darcy off my screen. Jesse is a hot mess, too.

Michael is in it for the green card. Period.

I’m tired of Paul and Karine. LOL, I did laugh when all of his luggage and plastic tubs didn’t show up when he got off the plane. That’s the only entertaining thing about this couple.

• Love 5
On 8/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Scarlett45 said:
On 8/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, PeaceLily2 said:

I hand out with the Pounders too.....I knew I recognized your name ?

I’m also a pounder

I’m confused? Is this about my 600 lb life? Do you mean you watch it? Lol 

9 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Bay area here, lots of Ethels, Ruths, and Esthers. My friend named one of her kids Eleanor.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to meet a Hazel. It works, and I like it.

A former student of mine named their baby Hazel. They are regular white bread Americans. I wonder if it is a relative's name, you just don't see it anymore.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Angela is only 3 years older than me yet she looks like she could be my mother. That's either a hard 52 or she skimmed a few years off her age.

I'm 4 years older than she is and she looks a good 6 years older than me.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

That drummer is just so damn earnest...

Angela should pause the video and read the map ! It's outdated but gets the job done;) Now she knows it's hot and The rains in Africa are blessed.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
To bless the rains down in Africa
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

She'd be more interested in where the band got their sweet threads. 

And thank you.  That glimpse into some dudes rockin it in an 80s garage made my night.  :)

Me too! I am still crying at the part where someone pulls the book off the self and you see some dude singing about the rain in Africa.

Pole's communication skills involve my least favorite thing ever:

SHOUT, and say the word in English in an approximation of a Portuguese accent. Cause it's a lot easier to understand a foreign language if it's completely incomprehensible and LOUD.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Kellyee said:

He's been financially supporting her, so I'm thinking she should cut him some slack and not leave him sitting there. At least not if she wants to continue getting paid.

He's dumb with his money; that's on him.  She's not his employee and even though it's pretty skeevy to con a desperate loser out of money; she owes him nothing if she didn't ask him to be there or didn't give her consent to meet him.  So, if she were real and weirded out by him showing up to her country without asking her and suggesting she come to meet him without even asking her, then she doesn't have to meet him.  Knowing what we know of Ricky, he would probably still end up sending her money if she played it right!  If they had both made plans together to meet and she encouraged him to show up by acting excited and like she couldn't wait to meet him, then it would be a different story.  But since she found out about Ricky coming, she basically ghosted him.  He should have had some clue.

• Love 10

"Africa" by Toto...January 1983, #1 song on Billboard.  Greatest song ever.  Listen to it with headphones; it will blow your mind.  I'm serious.

Now you young people get the hell off of my lawn!

Mi amors, you can have your cold shoulder tops and your Lord's Prayer purses and red makeup bags.  I'll be the one at the party with the super-skanky high heels with red nail polish all over the soles, the cooch cutters, and the body paint, because I am a Spicy Colombian Latina.

Which always makes me think of (God help me):

• Love 12
7 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

"Africa" by Toto...January 1983, #1 song on Billboard.  Greatest song ever.  Listen to it with headphones; it will blow your mind.  I'm serious.

Now you young people get the hell off of my lawn!

Mi amors, you can have your cold shoulder tops and your Lord's Prayer purses and red makeup bags.  I'll be the one at the party with the super-skanky high heels with red nail polish all over the soles, the cooch cutters, and the body paint, because I am a Spicy Colombian Latina.

Which always makes me think of (God help me):

I fell into a South Park marathon a few weeks ago and this epi was on.  Man, I forgot how much I loved that show.  I'd love for them to do a 90DF-related episode where Cartman sends off for a girlfriend.  

But I guess that's what we have Ricky for.  

• Love 5
On 8/14/2018 at 8:57 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

But the bigger question is why does he believe her answer of that guy is helping her with her excersises?  Paul is a shameel.  

Perhaps it's Kegel exercises!

• Love 2

I see this episode with my hubby for the second time! Did anybody notice the Birkin bag on the shelf when darcy is getting ready???? Is it real ? Why does she use that horrible ugly “Chanel” bag instead of her Birkin then??

• Love 1
On 8/6/2018 at 1:48 AM, Frozendiva said:

I didn't think that UK passport holders required a visa to visit the US. Unless he has conditions on travel or holds a different passport.

You don't need a visa if you've qualified for entry under the Visa Waiver Program and have a valid ESTA. In that case, you can enter for 90 days for tourist purposes. But if you have ever been arrested or have any kind of criminal conviction, you won't be approved for the ESTA/VWP and so would need to apply in person for a visa. At that stage, the immigration authorities would need to assess the seriousness of the criminal record before deciding whether or not to grant a visa.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/additional-requirements/