Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, JennyMominFL said:

I also think you just get treated better by airlines if you dress up a bit. I know there are studies that show that you are more likely to get bumped up a cabin level if you are better dressed. I try to walk the line where I look nice but can be comfortable. And when I fly overnight to the UK, I bring a change of clothes for first thing in the morning

This is not your imagination.  I fly a lot.  Button down shirt, pressed khakis & cute flats.  No ginormous carry on.  Smelling only like a recent shower. Speak quietly & politely.

I get bumped to first class, get to change seats, and very often extra free adult beverages.

I can't imagine what flight attendants have to deal with.  Yokels looking like they just cleaned the garage, schlepping massive bags to avoid a $25. check fee...acting as if FA are really sky wait people.

FA's are really there to keep you safe if shit goes bad.  If dressing nice gets me to an empty bulkhead seat & I'm first off in the Hudson...well then, I'll just iron my clothes the night before.

• Love 4

Yes, I think I read that too. I do understand that it can seem strange when you are not used to hearing it, but there are legitimate reasons why it exists .  Angela's english is not any legitimate dialect.Its just bad English. 

Another interesting thing I heard in a  some classes was that the difference between a dialect and a language is that a language has an Army. 

The other things that tend to bother people about AAVE(ebonics) is the use of double negatives. Many languages actually use double negatives

Today I learned some really interesting things!  I love this forum because there is such a diversity of experiences and knowledge that people share here. I learn so much.  Thank you to everybody who shares!

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

This is not your imagination.  I fly a lot.  Button down shirt, pressed khakis & cute flats.  No ginormous carry on.  Smelling only like a recent shower. Speak quietly & politely.

I get bumped to first class, get to change seats, and very often extra free adult beverages.

I can't imagine what flight attendants have to deal with.  Yokels looking like they just cleaned the garage, schlepping massive bags to avoid a $25. check fee...acting as if FA are really sky wait people.

FA's are really there to keep you safe if shit goes bad.  If dressing nice gets me to an empty bulkhead seat & I'm first off in the Hudson...well then, I'll just iron my clothes the night before.

Ive also read that part of the reason a well dressed person is more likely to get bumped is because they want you to blend in with the rest of the people in first or business class.

My flight to london next months gets to Gatwick at  5.30 am. I will change clothes, brush my teeth and clean il when i get there. And im not meeting the love of my life.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Today I learned some really interesting things!  I love this forum because there is such a diversity of experiences and knowledge that people share here. I learn so much.  Thank you to everybody who shares!

This is such a nice place to shoot the breeze.  Nice people chiming in with hysterically funny snark & interesting info.

I like to think that's what the interwebs were meant to be.

I read a lot of comments on other feeds and it's SO Nasty!  Not here, just good times.   Hats off to these Fab Mods!!!!

6 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Ive also read that part of the reason a well dressed person is more likely to get bumped is because they want you to blend in with the rest of the people in first or business class.

My flight to london next months gets to Gatwick at  5.30 am. I will change clothes, brush my teeth and clean il when i get there. And im not meeting the love of my life.

Oh lawd.  You wouldn't think 4" of extra legroom is much, but it seems like a mile on a long flight!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

.... I think they're partially safe because camera crews are with them.  But it's no guarantee.  The clueless fried blond alone in Nigeria for instance could be in serious trouble.  Nigeria is considered a high risk area and travel there is not advised. Violent crime, such as armed robbery, assault, carjacking, kidnapping, and rape is common throughout the country.

Which her traveling to Nigeria without any information about the country, her words, is incredible to me.  Does no one on that show know about the CIA World Factbook online, or government travel alerts?

Just for fun here are the world travel alerts.  A 1 being good and 4 being the worst.

• Love 6

I noticed that Angela at least put her hair up and changed her shirt, At least, I think she did.

I wonder how many cigarettes she smoked the minute she got off the plane. She must have reeked and Michael would have known she hadn't quit like she promised. 

• Love 2

It's just plain idiotic that someone would travel to a country and be ignorant about what's happening or not bother to look at travel alerts. Angela probably didn't look up anything. Boko Haram is still a real threat. It's known that they operate from parts of northern Nigeria, and they're still kidnapping people. Aside from that, it's heavily advised not to ever give your credit card to taxi drivers and things like that. Everybody says don't travel anywhere alone and always have a local guide. There's a reason scamming is often mentioned. I have Naija relatives I wouldn't trust to sell me a plate of jollof or pounded yams because I know how they operate. Just like one of my cousins selling a Mercedes on Facebook. I'm looking at this dude like, "I know you don't own a Mercedes. When we were in Benin City, you were driving a busted up 95 whatever that had me ducking because of the backfiring." And just a few weeks ago, he asked us to borrow $200 because he came into contact with malaria. Can you feel my side eye? He's family, and I don't trust him!

Angela definitely has on blinders. I'd bet any amount of money she's sent him money...for an ill relative or car issues. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, AussieBabe said:

It's just plain idiotic that someone would travel to a country and be ignorant about what's happening or not bother to look at travel alerts.

Idiotic? Ignorant?  Say no more. That pretty much sums up Grangela. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2018 at 8:41 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Wow, Jon’s short a little bit.  Goes to show you those selfies are misleading. 

Jon is short a little bit like Nicole is heavy just a little bit.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, snarkish said:

There's a line between comfy and looking sloppy. To me, she just looked sloppy

I agree and I don't want to keep on the "Wow was she ever sloppy!" drum but when I travel I wear a comfy one piece dress with a little stretch in it, leggings and cute shoes with good soles.  A denim jacket rounds it out.  You can still be comfy AND stylish.  Rachel looked like she was making a midnight run to Walmart for diapers and milk - not that I have ever done that.....clears throat.

• Love 16

How does Paul see that Karine has been commenting on some (kind of hot) guy's page?  But the bigger question is why does he believe her answer of that guy is helping her with her excersises?  Paul is a shameel.  

The bloom is definitely off Karine's rose.

• Love 4
On 8/13/2018 at 9:39 AM, charmed1 said:

Shallow Hal is a movie that I’ve seen no less than 42,000 times, so I was sitting here like, “Hey, I don’t remember a scene of Jack Black in an elevator with Sat....ohhhh! Ha!” I see what you did there.

I’m still cracking up over Michael calling Angela his elder. Michael’s job is “online marketing.” Even funnier. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Michael wasn’t his real name. He even hesitated before he said it. His friend in the navy t-shirt is handsome. I wonder if he’s an “online marketer” too. He could definitely pull in better prizes than beauty supply store purses and MAGA gear or unicorn onesies.

I suspect that "online marketing" involves things like, oh, say, calling seniors in the US and pretending to be the IRS and asking for back taxes to be paid in Apple store gift cards.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, snarkish said:

Me as well. There's a line between comfy and looking sloppy. To me, she just looked sloppy.

On the other hand, she was going to meet a criminal who feels comfortable blowing chunks in the street and on camera.   So, all things considered ...

• Love 13

I fully admit, I look like a total slob when I've travelled long distance / overnight.  (Clean, comfortable, and unlikely to set off metal detectors.)  I will brush my teeth and apply deodorant in the washroom and that's as good as you get.  Although if I was going to meet the love of my life, I would probably arrange it so I could go to a hotel to either sleep first or shower and change.  I'd be much more comfortable meeting dressed as Rachel and Jon (minus the vomit) than these meetings where they are all dressed up with signs and flowers.

• Love 5

I fly back to Australia often, it’s 14 hours out of lax plus I’m coming  from OHIO.. I always have spare clothes, dry shampoo, 2 pairs of undies and copious amounts of toothpaste. Yes, I have done it pregnant, with a baby and a baby and a toddler and still remained pleasant to the eyes and nose.

Edited by Owwwww ma leg
  • Love 10
On 8/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, Madding crowd said:

Don't want to see more of Darcy and Jesse. People keep saying the "You teach people how to treat you" line and I have to say I hate this Dr. Phil expression with the fire of a thousand nuns! Darcy certainly can leave the relationship but many people can't (mothers of small children, poor people, children, sometimes students or employees) and abusers cannot be taught to treat people well. It's a huge myth that all you have to do is tell an abusive person they must treat you well and they will just change their ways. Jesse is unpleasant in every way and Darcy seems like a sweet but shallow woman. Run far away Darcy!

I don’t want to make light of this point because I thought it was so well said and important and true, so I quoted the whole thing.  And I hope you won’t mind that I say that whether it was purposeful or accidental or a typo “I hate [thing] with the fire of a thousand nuns” made me laugh.  I’ve always heard “of a thousand suns” and this version is also very vivid.  

Also sticking with my long-shot bet from last week that Ricky’s girlfriend is exactly who she says she is.  Maybe with a tiny problem with being quite exactly on time to places, though?

• Love 4

Oh oh !  Can I be the first one to answer that ??  "I hate [thing] with the heat of a thousand nuns" was an absolute favorite phrase of mine that I used to see (and use) back on Television Without Pity --  It isn't new, but it's utterly great, and may it live forever ..     (It comes in handy in conversation too ..  Feel free ! )  

• Love 10

Of

1 hour ago, 100Proof said:

Wow, that Jesse is the gaslight king. That restaurant scene was the epitome of gaslighting. And Darcy is totally pathetic. Can't feel sorry for someone that willfully stupid

No wonder Jesse finds older women appealing. He finds the most needy, most desperate women who are staring into their own manufactured abyss, anxious about being single and middle-aged. They are absolutely smitten when a younger, decent looking “hunk” looks their way and will prostrate themselves in front of him, losing all self-respect and sense of self because they are that desperate. Jesse knows he holds all the cards and gets enormous (I believe sadistic) pleasure out of watching them/Darcy grovel. He’s in control. 

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, sconstant said:

Also sticking with my long-shot bet from last week that Ricky’s girlfriend is exactly who she says she is.  Maybe with a tiny problem with being quite exactly on time to places, though?

You make a very good point. I have read that in South America's "manana" culture, time is very flexible and lateness is more or less the norm and not considered rude. Ricky arbitrarily set up the meeting time at 7:30 which is very early for Colombian dining. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Right? Especially since the photos of her were these super filtered, Frederick’s of Hollywood, glamour puss pictures. It’s like ordering something online and when it arrives, it looks nothing like what I ordered. I fly for comfort, so a sweatshirt is right up my alley, but I’m also not flying to meet my weird, pukey “soulmate” either. I don’t think anybody is saying fly for hours with a beat face and an evening gown, but could Rachel have at least put a comb through that head? 

Exactly. I've taken lots of transatlantic flights and even when feeling beat to hell by the end of it, always at least freshened up my face and brushed my hair.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

You make a very good point. I have read that in South America's "manana" culture, time is very flexible and lateness is more or less the norm and not considered rude. Ricky arbitrarily set up the meeting time at 7:30 which is very early for Colombian dining. 

When I first moved to Miami, I was invited to a Christmas party at the home of a woman I worked with.  She was Colombian.  According to the invitation, the party "started" at 8.  I arrived at 9, and was the first person there.  The next guest arrived at 10:30.  The party got going around 11.  And went till 5am.

I lived in Miami a long time, and love the latin culture.  I did learn, however, to adjust my time frames to whoever I was with.

And I was thinking, while Ricky was waiting, "Well, it IS Colombia...".

• Love 6
5 hours ago, EllaDisco said:

I fully admit, I look like a total slob when I've travelled long distance / overnight.  (Clean, comfortable, and unlikely to set off metal detectors.)  I will brush my teeth and apply deodorant in the washroom and that's as good as you get.  Although if I was going to meet the love of my life, I would probably arrange it so I could go to a hotel to either sleep first or shower and change.  I'd be much more comfortable meeting dressed as Rachel and Jon (minus the vomit) than these meetings where they are all dressed up with signs and flowers.

When we were dating, I went to meet my hubby, not for the first time, more like two months into the relationship, at a bus station of all places.  I took a shower, put on fresh makeup and a dressy wool suit with heels. Granted, I wasn't the one traveling, but still, it was to meet someone special to me. Now I laugh, but that's how I was.

Always dressed nice and comfortable for flights. Traveled once with my toddler from Cleveland to ATL, no one waiting for me because hubby was in the Army and not due to get off for hours after my arrival, and still dressed nice. Phooey, we used to have to dress nice to go to the doctor, mom's rules, and I still do.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 4

Couldn't believe Angela went on Maury to accuse her daughter of sleeping around and claiming the wrong man was her baby's father. Not once but twice! What kind of person does that? Scottie must have been in on it, as they sure seem tight now. What people will do for fame and money.

• Love 4

I hate Dr. Phil, too, but damned if he doesn't have a couple of sayings that I live by:

You're doing (insert behavior here)?  How's that working out for you?

You wouldn't be doing something unless you're getting some sort of payoff from doing it, good or bad.

People who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

You teach people how to treat you.

All of these can be applied to this shitshow of a show

ETA: I miss TWoP so much from when it was in its heyday 20 years ago or so.  The Making The Band  recaps remain as some of the funniest stuff I have ever, ever read.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bethster2000 said:

I hate Dr. Phil, too, but damned if he doesn't have a couple of sayings that I live by:

You wouldn't be doing something unless you're getting some sort of payoff from doing it, good or bad.

All of these can be applied to this shitshow of a show.

And the MOST appropriate "Phil-ism" for this show:  "Did you fall out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down?"

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And the MOST appropriate "Phil-ism" for this show:  "Did you fall out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down?"

It may not always apply to this show but a Dr Phil saying I like is "Never miss an opportunity to shut up."  Wait a minute.....paging Nicole!!!!  And Azan!  And perhaps the whole Family Chantal!

23 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Actually not really- I worked in immigration law right out of law school (I’m a lawyer) and most of the K-1 visas I came across were people who either lived/worked/studied abroad for a decent length of time, met their significant other there, fell in love and wanted to get married- but wanted to live/work as a married couple in the USA. 

Most K-1 visas aren’t from online relationships, although this show would have you think that. Most applicants are normal who just happened to be citizens of other countries, and have spent time and energy planning a wedding long before the 90days. 

That is what I have thought too, plus I believe the vast majority of people from Kentucky, Georgia and Ohio are really good, hard working and caring people.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

All of these can be applied to this shitshow of a show

ETA: I miss TWoP so much from when it was in its heyday 20 years ago or so.  The Making The Band  recaps remain as some of the funniest stuff I have ever, ever read.

And I hate all of those sayings and would rather have a therapist that looks at people as individuals rather than as a collection of folksy sayings. 

To Dr Phil I would say:

Im in therapy because things aren’t working out

Not everything bad that happens had a ‘payoff ‘ such as family members dying or health problems

The hiding one doesn’t even make sense-sometimes people have valid reasons for not sharing all information with all people

You cannot change another person and abusers cannot be taught. 

• Love 5

I hope Rachel never wants to wear heels around Jon. She'd tower over him. They seem to have the same body type: short and squat. 

Darcy: "Do you like my makeup?"

Jesse: "Some people shouldn't wear makeup." Girl, he doesn't love you, he doesn't even remotely like you. He wants to be on TV and see the USA. That's why he was so pissed you couldn't point out any of the sights! 

Kreeny is looking ROUGH. Homeslice was hitting the streets and drugs pretty hard while Pole was back home. It's hilarious to me that literally everything Pole says has to be closed captioned. He mumbles and warbles his way through life. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

I noticed that Angela at least put her hair up and changed her shirt, At least, I think she did.

I can’t remember if she changed her shirt, but TLC tweeted on Sunday that Angela had a special outfit that she brought to wear the first day in Nigeria and she somehow lost it between getting on the flight in Georgia and retrieving her bags in the Lagos airport. Lols. At least she tried.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Owwwww ma leg said:

I fly back to Australia often, it’s 14 hours out of lax plus I’m coming  from OHIO.. I always have spare clothes, dry shampoo, 2 pairs of undies and copious amounts of toothpaste. Yes, I have done it pregnant, with a baby and a baby and a toddler and still remained pleasant to the eyes and nose.

Please. Please . Sit next to me on the next flight!

13 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree and I don't want to keep on the "Wow was she ever sloppy!" drum but when I travel I wear a comfy one piece dress with a little stretch in it, leggings and cute shoes with good soles.  A denim jacket rounds it out.  You can still be comfy AND stylish.  Rachel looked like she was making a midnight run to Walmart for diapers and milk - not that I have ever done that.....clears throat.

Scrub britches & clean giant tee...Aldis, ten minutes before closing...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Which her traveling to Nigeria without any information about the country, her words, is incredible to me.  Does no one on that show know about the CIA World Factbook online, or government travel alerts?

Just for fun here are the world travel alerts.  A 1 being good and 4 being the worst.

I'm guessing none of our 90DF trainwrecks are even aware that site is a thing.  I can't imagine very many of them being that smart.  Maybe the first season when some of the couples saw their edit and said "Nah, we're good. Carry on without us..." 

But now i want to know what's going on in Antarctica. Other than penguins and scientists, what's happening there???

• Love 3
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

True.  The way he read that text that she'd be there by 7:30, made me think the meeting time was earlier, like 7:00.  It did seem early for dinner, anywhere outside of North America. However, added to the way she's not answering his texts, makes me think it's more than just lateness.  As others have said people should have been dressing up on the plane, maybe you should be a little more aware of the time if you're meeting your love for the first time.

6 hours ago, renatae said:

When we were dating, I went to meet my hubby, not for the first time, more like two months into the relationship, at a bus station of all places.  I took a shower, put on fresh makeup and a dressy wool suit with heels. Granted, I wasn't the one traveling, but still, it was to meet someone special to me. Now I laugh, but that's how I was.

Always dressed nice and comfortable for flights. Traveled once with my toddler from Cleveland to ATL, no one waiting for me because hubby was in the Army and not due to get off for hours after my arrival, and still dressed nice. Phooey, we used to have to dress nice to go to the doctor, mom's rules, and I still do.

I know people used to really dress up for flights, but at the time, airplanes were a lot nicer and flights cost a lot more (relatively speaking), so it was a special event for people.  Now the way everyone is crammed in, people just want to survive.  Absolutely you should be clean and covered, but if my flight is over 3-ish hours, I'm going for comfortable, not cute.

• Love 9

I used to buy the cheapest flights (with tons of layovers) to get from the base in CA to my beloved in NYC.  Colgate Wisps are a godsend and you can use them on your way to baggage claim.  No excuse for a last first kiss with stale breath.  It won't help if you vomit though, Jon.

And Darcey... Jesse hates you with the fire of a thousand suns.  But I think you're into it.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I'm guessing none of our 90DF trainwrecks are even aware that site is a thing.  I can't imagine very many of them being that smart.  Maybe the first season when some of the couples saw their edit and said "Nah, we're good. Carry on without us..." 

But now i want to know what's going on in Antarctica. Other than penguins and scientists, what's happening there???

Angela's not even sure if Nigeria is a country.  I doubt she's aware of travel warnings!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Its erattic weather andthe fact that the US gov cant get to you if you have problems there. They get the same rating as much of Europe..a 2

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2
Just now, JennyMominFL said:

Its erattic weather andthe fact that the IS gov cant get to you if you have problems there. They get the same rating as much of Europe..a 2

Well that makes sense then.  I knew a guy who did sciencey things there for a few years, he said being someplace like that was a total mindfuck for him, so the weather and no reliable help, yep, that make sense then.  I didn't think of those things.  I was thinking gangs and such lol.  (I'm learning so much from you on this thread!!!!!)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, EastCoast4Life said:

I hope Rachel never wants to wear heels around Jon. She'd tower over him. They seem to have the same body type: short and squat. 

Darcy: "Do you like my makeup?"

Jesse: "Some people shouldn't wear makeup." Girl, he doesn't love you, he doesn't even remotely like you. He wants to be on TV and see the USA. That's why he was so pissed you couldn't point out any of the sights! 

Kreeny is looking ROUGH. Homeslice was hitting the streets and drugs pretty hard while Pole was back home. It's hilarious to me that literally everything Pole says has to be closed captioned. He mumbles and warbles his way through life. 

WHO asks their SO if they like their makeup?? Such an odd thing to ask. I get asking if they like your outfit, or new shoes, but...makeup? I almost think she asked that JUST to get his goat and get him to make a snotty response. 

Am I the only one who understands Pole with no problems without the subtitles? Granted, I work with people from all over the globe, and am used to thick accents (such as Asian and Indian) and have been told I understand some folks that most Americans do not, but still. He doesn't seem to talk very fast...so I don't get it? I also notice these useless subtitles sometimes on 600 Pound Life. 

Edited by snarkish
Spoiler
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, charmed1 said:

:( I thought my love for random, hot Nigerian guy on tv was exclusive. I come here and see it’s not. From the 11 seconds I watched him onscreen, I knew he’d be a wonderful stepdad for my cat. I’m going to make this work so we can be a family.

Dying  ;)

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, EllaDisco said:

The way he read that text that she'd be there by 7:30, made me think the meeting time was earlier, like 7:00

You're right, he originally set up the "date" at 7:00 and kept texting her when she didn't show. Then she FINALLY answered she'd be there at 7:30 but at last count, it was 8:45 and there was still no sign of her. I don't think that production wouldn't be filming this if they knew it was a catfish situation, maybe it's a twist that they hope will boost ratings. 

32 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Well that makes sense then.  I knew a guy who did sciencey things there for a few years, he said being someplace like that was a total mindfuck for him, so the weather and no reliable help, yep, that make sense then.  I didn't think of those things.  I was thinking gangs and such lol.  (I'm learning so much from you on this thread!!!!!)

Those penguin gangs are nasty!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Well here you go:  If you were wondering about the Arctic you can google CIA World Factbook and Arctic and you can find political and physical maps and decide which country you are interest in and then click on the country list.  About penguins in Antarctica here.  Of course you could Google penguins of Antarctica and find each country that have studies and such on penguins.  I like the NatGeo link.

• Love 2