Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Road to World Class Begins

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Jerk ass opinion, but since these girls really only seem to care about physical appearances..

Victoria is 18? If you told me she was 35, I'd been like okay, but she looks a bit old for her age.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, rl27rl said:

Was the Cassie montage really necessary?  There are so many other montages they could have done.  Still all these years later and they are still pushing her.  Why??

LOL, yeah, it was kind of like "If you make the DCC, your boyfriend too can surprise you with a marriage proposal on the star with the rest of the squad clustered adoringly around!" Because I'm sure K would allow that for any cheerleader, right??

4 minutes ago, Megan said:

Victoria is 18? If you told me she was 35, I'd been like okay, but she looks a bit old for her age.

Do you know who Courtney Stoddard is?  If not, just Google.  Victoria reminds me a lot of her (without the massive tatas).

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Last comment then I’ll go away: I love whoever paused the show and counted how many girls were in the stands. 135 is way different than 400. Not cool

Heehee that was me I think. I kept hearing Kelli say that 400 number over and over. She even told the girls "there's 400 here today and only 100 will move to semis". So I had to rewind, pause and count rows then girls. It was 135. But one poster indicated it could be they do the "intro" in groups. I think only 135 showed up because you can clearly see during the freestyle dancing there aren't as many rows of chairs as past years. 

Edited by Jessied84
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Do you know who Courtney Stoddard is?  If not, just Google.  Victoria reminds me a lot of her (without the massive tatas).

I do! And to  quote Truvy: "Her life has been an experiment in terror.." Courtney Stodden is a mess and has a messed up life.

Victoria just looks really old. Unless there is a terrible exploitation story that's going to be revealed.. It sounds like her story is that she's a legacy and her Mom?! Got a little bit fat once.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

that comment truly offended me. Charlotte just seemed to turn her nose up and look down on the black girl from the dangerous neighborhood . It may be incredibly un-PC for a white girl from Texas to post this, but it just really stood out to me and made me so angry. Then you follow it with the stupid story of the blonde kappa kappa gamma whose dark time wasn’t making the UCLA dance team the first time. I mean, GTF outta here. 

It’s no big secret the Joneses are bit problematic when it comes to race. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

They had to show Cassie's wedding to make a point about how well the girls get along and life long friendships. Kelli was really trying to convince us 400 showed up at auditions. Take a look at the scene where she was talking to the girls. No way in heck 400 girls were there unless they were hiding in the bushes and trees outside.

11 hours ago, CheerGoddess said:

At the beginning when Kelli was talking to all the judges before prelims started, she stated that she received 400 applications. I never heard her say 400 showed up, and they probably numbered the girls as the applications came in. So they may have received around 400 applications, but then only a fraction of them showed up.

Kelli definitely said 400 more than once. She loves trying to tell us how competitive it is. Every year she tells us that there were X number of dancers auditioning and every year, we hit the pause button to count how many girls are actually there and the number is always significantly less than she tells us. Anyway, I hadn't deleted the episode yet so I went back to confirm that she threw out that 400 number multiple times:

1. When she met with the judges on the field, she told them that they received 400 applications.
  2. Before they started the freestyle section, Kelli told the girls, "Remember there are 400 of you here today and only 100 of you will move to semis" (which contradicts what she told them at the stadium about taking "about 120" of them to semis).
  3. Kelli's voiceover before she, Judy, and Charlotte started going over the scores in the locker room said, "400 auditioned today but only 100 will be moving to semi final auditions."
  4. After Kelli wrote all the numbers on the board, she said, "We have 100 semi finalists down from 400."
  5. After the board went outside and Kelli recapped what she thought about various dancers, she said, "We started the day with 400 girls. In the next round, 100 semi finalists will learn the DCC choreography and kickline to perform it in front of the judges."

When they were in the stadium, there were only eight rows of seats being used. The front row had 15 girls. It looked like there were 25 seats in the last row but they weren't all filled. Just simple multiplication tells us that there were less than 200 girls there, but thanks to the eagle eyed OCD forum members (I salute you!), we know it was closer to 135.

When the judges walked in to watch the freestyle section, there were eight rows of chairs visible on one side of the dance floor. Later at the end of the freestyle section before Kelli dismissed the girls, they showed the chairs on one side of the dance floor (eight rows) and the chairs on the other side (seven rows of chairs). Each row had ten chairs (five on each side of the aisle) for a maximum of 150 which lines up with the 135 girls we saw at the stadium.

• Love 9
On 8/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, ClosetBachJunkie said:

It was nice to see Kelli address what all of us have been saying, that Brennan should have been chosen over certain *ahem* others.

I was so glad they at least acknowledged the departures of Alexandria and What's her boobs... I mean Kalyssa.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

Regarding the two legacies - Victoria can dance, butta her face - it's the over bite or something.

Dayton may have danced in a studio since she was small - but she has no technique. 

Her Mom hanging around and dancing along is very helicopterish/unprofessional, also very annoying. 

I was turned off when Dayton told her Mom she didn't make the board, she said it in a way that made it seem that could NEVER happen. 

I started watching last season when I caught an episode while channel surfing - then I binge watched.

Brianna? The young girl from New Jersey, Kelli's fascination with her seriously irked me.  She also had no technique, no personality, and they let her pass week after week. What cracked me up about her was that she mentioned auditioning for the Rockettes, but she couldn't kick. 

Yep, totally agree with you (except I don’t think Victoria is a butta face), especially the part about being turned off when Dayton told said she didn’t make it and then was all J/K. I thought it was in poor taste and I had a negative reaction when she said it.  It rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I did this as well.  I remember us chatting about the number of ladies trying out has decreased over the years, with speculation that DCC: MTT was driving some away from auditions.  Most definitely NOT 400 in those stands, but it confused me when they were writing the numbers on that "traditional white board" <groan> and the numbers went up to 400.  Do they assign numbers based on received audition packets, or do they assign them when they show up at prelims?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I saw a gentlemen in the sea of ladies sitting in the stands while Kelly was speaking to them.  I was waiting for a focus on him, but nothing.

I saw a man sitting in the middle of the group in the stands while Kelli was speaking.  Blue shirt. It would have been interesting to see his audition.  ?

image.jpeg

Edited by pomDogOwner
  • Love 5

Yes, there was a guy there, but he was nowhere to be seen in any of the other group shots than when Kelli's addressing the whole group there in the stadium.  It was like CMT was trying to erase or ignore the fact that he was there.  Here's an interview with Napoleon and Quinton (the first guys on an NFL team that isn't the Baltimore Ravens) on GMA: 

The guys are doing exactly the same choreography so it can be done if the head people want it to.

• Love 4

We do know that vets go straight to finals, and it is my understanding that some recruits are given a pass straight to finals as well, but even then we are well under 200. However, even though the numbers are down, I think the level of competition is higher than ever because lesser candidates don't bother trying out.

• Love 1

I liked Paris! I like her story, the fact that she wasn’t born with a silver spoon in her mouth like all the others. Like the girl who went through a “dark” time in her life by not making the UCLA dance team ?. Cry me a river honey. Paris did speak with an accent but after living in south Florida that is very common especially with the African American community and in the demographic area in which she grew up. If she is good enough to be a back up dancer to some of the hottest names in the music industry Why not?  But we all know that she won’t be invited to training camp and I think we know why ?‍♀️

• Love 15
1 hour ago, danitydon22 said:

Attritcian..   Kelly said of Kalissa and Alexandria. I wonder why they would quit the team?! Alexandria bought a house in Texas just to be part of the team. What went wrong? Kalissa was my favorite rookie. 

I don't think she bought a house in Texas, I think it was back in Boston? Where she was from. That's been mentioned a lot that that might be a reason why she quit. She said she and her boyfriend just bought it and were fixing it up when she went to audition. Definitely weird, but people were saying the official reason given was that she had a sick family member back home. And I liked Kalyssa too but I guess she wanted to pursue "modeling". 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Just heard Charlotte’s snarky comment about Paris. “Mhhhh, I don’t know about her.” Or something similar.

Not to defend Charlotte, but I don't think she said anything snarky (unless I missed something), all I heard her say was that Paris was a no because she wasn't technically trained.  I'll be sad for her if she doesn't get past semis, I thought she seemed like a nice person, but it seems like she's gotten some pretty great dancing gigs in the past & Im sure will get more.  

13 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I loved the jacket and pants.

I'm so glad to see this, I liked the pants too :)

12 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Last comment then I’ll go away: I love whoever paused the show and counted how many girls were in the stands. 135 is way different than 400. Not cool.

I guess they don't want to admit that MOST of those who auditioned made it to semis.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Do they assign numbers based on received audition packets, or do they assign them when they show up at prelims?

I'm assuming it's like what is done for a race, your number is assigned when you register & you get your bib with that  number when you show up.  I totally believe they had 400 applications, but what I don't get is why you would apply & not show up, since I don't think the application is free.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

Dayton may have danced in a studio since she was small - but she has no technique. 

Here's what I don't get, and maybe someone who has actually danced can answer this.  So many girls say they've danced since they were 2.  What kind of dancing can a 2 year old do?  They don't even walk so great at that age.

8 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

I was turned off when Dayton told her Mom she didn't make the board, she said it in a way that made it seem that could NEVER happen. 

Agreed, it sounded like "No, silly, of course I made it to the next round."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

Not to defend Charlotte, but I don't think she said anything snarky (unless I missed something), all I heard her say was that Paris was a no because she wasn't technically trained.  I'll be sad for her if she doesn't get past semis, I thought she seemed like a nice person, but it seems like she's gotten some pretty great dancing gigs in the past & Im sure will get more.  

No... go back and watch it again. Charlotte wasn’t the one who said anything about her lack of technical training. It was also the manner in which she said what she said. I don’t know.... it really stood out to me. But I detest Charlotte and always have. She’s brilliant and works hard, but personally just ugh. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I can’t stand watching Brennan either.  Her facials are the worst I have ever seen, and she is not attractive facially at all.   She seems like she has crossed eyes too.   Her figure is too frail and skinny and not pleasant to look at.  That overload of slow mo shots of her dancing were painful, just painful!, to watch - I was literally cringing and if I watch again I will fast forward.  I can’t believe so many people on here like her and want her to make the squad?  She is much worse than Christina (who’s personality I don’t like but at least she’s okay to look at).   And I don’t care if Kalyssa and Alexandria quit, Brennan still shouldn’t have made last years squad, Taryn and Celinda were probably the next most deserving if they wanted to have more girls - or just have a smaller squad.

I respectfully disagree.  I love Brennan.  At this point she is the only person I am truly rooting for. She will be a great addition to the team and she and Taryn both should’ve made it last season. I didn’t have that in Celinda, Maddie, or Erin. 

Veronica is clearly going to be the star of this season.  (Yes I know her name is Valerie...I mean....Victoria!) 

Jaylin needs that hair makeover.  Daphne looks a lot like Hannah Alexandra!!! I hope she doesn’t become Fannah 2.0.  

Paris is going to be that girl I hope makes it far just to shut up the snoods!!! She has so much potential and she danced with Cardi B?! Okkkkuuurrrtttt! 

• Love 6

Kelly is so right about a dancer's feet. The feet have to reflect what the rest of the body is doing - they have to be positioned correctly at all times and have their own muscle memory. We see so many of these candidates seem like experienced dancers through their arm and torso movements, but the feet are sloppy. That's where years of technical training, such as ballet, come into play.

Also, all of their try-out choreography looks the same. I'm sure it's because there is a limited range of what the DCC is looking for. But the really experienced candidates - Holly, Janelle, etc. - do stand out when they initially audtion.

I feel bad for Paris. I don't think she has the skills and training to make the squad, and I think they agree on that privately but are using her to polish their PR. She's camera fodder. I hope they didn't encourage her - she might be naive enough to fall for it - and that the experience does not crush her.

Too bad the organization still won't pay these hard-working young woman a decent salary and benefits., such as health care insurance.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

I'm assuming it's like what is done for a race, your number is assigned when you register & you get your bib with that  number when you show up.  I totally believe they had 400 applications, but what I don't get is why you would apply & not show up, since I don't think the application is free.

Normally I would think this too, however, the big glaring gaps in numbers on the whiteboard are what make me think the numbers are exaggerated ?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Kelly is so right about a dancer's feet. The feet have to reflect what the rest of the body is doing - they have to be positioned correctly at all times and have their own muscle memory. We see so many of these candidates seem like experienced dancers through their arm and torso movements, but the feet are sloppy. That's where years of technical training, such as ballet, come into play.

Also, all of their try-out choreography looks the same. I'm sure it's because there is a limited range of what the DCC is looking for. But the really experienced candidates - Holly, Janelle, etc. - do stand out when they initially audtion.

I feel bad for Paris. I don't think she has the skills and training to make the squad, and I think they agree on that privately but are using her to polish their PR. She's camera fodder. I hope they didn't encourage her - she might be naive enough to fall for it - and that the experience does not crush her.

Too bad the organization still won't pay these hard-working young woman a decent salary and benefits., such as health care insurance.

Thank you for explaining about the dancer’s feet.  I am not a trained dancer and that helped a lot.  Even though I still don’t know what the feet should look like with relation to the rest of the body during whatever dance move, it still helps.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I definitely think they are using her for a sob story line. The sad fact is she is not the first girl they have use for a story line, and she will not be the last. Reality shows love the sob story because it means ratings, drama and money to them.

On second watch, I realized that VK didn't really bother me (too much). It was CMT trying to "make 'fetch' happen" and the overwhelming thirstiness of Tina Kalina.  Let’s hope they both walk it back in future episodes. Yeah, I'm an optimist. 

Edited by Pj3422
Apostrophes matter.
  • Love 8

I WISHHHH they would bring something new to this episode although they did use a song other than 123turnaround for the bad people montage. Which I appreciated but didn't love the pick.

Other than the legacies this episode could have been any other seasons' first epi - sooooo generic. 

Kelli explaining yes/no/maybe sucked but not as bad as her EXPLAINING THE WHITEBOARD. HOW DID THAT MERIT A FULL EXPLANATION AS "TRADITION". That is not a niche DCC thing Kelli... it's a fricking whiteboard!

So I hate sob stories but at least Paris has a genuine sob story as opposed to "I didn't make the dance team one year boohoo". 

I feel like they should dig into what makes a good 90 seconds more - that would be interesting because I appreciate that it's pretty hard to do something different each year. 

I didn't mind Victoria or Dayton but it irritated me when Kelli said she expected more from legacies - they should treat everyone the same.

Happy for the comeback girls but it makes the show a little dull to have so many of the same faces. 

I think the increased presence of Shelly suggests she'll take over from Judy. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ByTor said:

You are correct. Numbers are given based on the order they are in line for prelims.  I haven’t, however, ever heard of someone paying to apply for any dance job including the DCC. I have heard of application fees for colleges and private schools. 

I didn't think Paris was a sob story, but if she was supposed to be I like how they presented it. It wasn't "omg I want to be a DCC for my dead mom and daughter." It was "Hey I've been through some crap but this is how I got out of it and I've been successful in dance, and I want to reach MY dream of being a DCC". I absolutely hate the "I want to be a DCC for my kid/because my dad left me/for a dead relative" stories. I totally sympathize that a lot of these girls have been through some crap, but wanting to be a DCC doesn't need to have some deeper meaning. I like Tasha for example, but her I'm doing for my daughter thing had me rolling my eyes. I like Paris and I think she's pretty, but her hair needs some work. I'm excited to see her next week. 

I think Victoria is pretty in a cartoonish/Disney princess way - big eyes but a big mouth to match. I think Titans Briana is beautiful and I'm really rooting for her this year. I can't put my finger on it, but I think Erin looks better this year. I think she lightened her hair or makeup? And I liked former DSIG Madi, but  I thought it was odd they focused so much on the martial arts and not the fact that she started dance later than most. She has been on a pro team and I feel like they just brushed over that. I would have been more interested in hearing more about her short dance training and how she's preparing to compete against girls who have danced for years. 

• Love 6

Unpopular opinion here - I like Tina.  She's like any other mom who wants the best for her kids.  Her, Judy, Shelly, Kim Oden - they enjoyed their experience of being a DCC and they want for their daughters to experience that.  

Victoria - I like her dancing and like a lot of other girls who have made it to TC in the past, will have to work on her power.  I feel bad for her in that - she's 18 years old, dances a lot and has a trainer and still has to watch the weight.  I mean, being a teenager is when you're supposed to eat a burger, fries and a milkshake and burn it off within the hour.

As for Shelly being at tryouts, she is there every year helping out.  We may have not seen her, but she's been there.  What is she supposed to do - take the day off instead of helping at a very busy, hectic day?  

Kelli - yes, you screwed up.  I apologize for not remembering who posted that Kelli shouldn't have rushed her decision making last year.  And I hope Brennan makes it, and I hope that this year is a little less drama-free.  It takes away from the girls who are working hard and deserve to be featured.

The Cassie footage and picture - yes, she was a cheerleader.  Her rookie season was ten years ago.  She met some of her bridesmaids on the squad.  Nothing will change that.  I can see why she thinks it's funny that people still comment on all that.

Give it up CMT - we can count bodies in the stands.  I miss the days when auditions/semi finals were done in the same episode, but then I'm always more interested in watching the panel interviews/solos/judges deliberations.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Unpopular opinion here - I like Tina.  She's like any other mom who wants the best for her kids.  Her, Judy, Shelly, Kim Oden - they enjoyed their experience of being a DCC and they want for their daughters to experience that.  

Victoria - I like her dancing and like a lot of other girls who have made it to TC in the past, will have to work on her power.  I feel bad for her in that - she's 18 years old, dances a lot and has a trainer and still has to watch the weight.  I mean, being a teenager is when you're supposed to eat a burger, fries and a milkshake and burn it off within the hour.

As for Shelly being at tryouts, she is there every year helping out.  We may have not seen her, but she's been there.  What is she supposed to do - take the day off instead of helping at a very busy, hectic day?  

Kelli - yes, you screwed up.  I apologize for not remembering who posted that Kelli shouldn't have rushed her decision making last year.  And I hope Brennan makes it, and I hope that this year is a little less drama-free.  It takes away from the girls who are working hard and deserve to be featured.

The Cassie footage and picture - yes, she was a cheerleader.  Her rookie season was ten years ago.  She met some of her bridesmaids on the squad.  Nothing will change that.  I can see why she thinks it's funny that people still comment on all that.

Give it up CMT - we can count bodies in the stands.  I miss the days when auditions/semi finals were done in the same episode, but then I'm always more interested in watching the panel interviews/solos/judges deliberations.  

I do not think it is all on Kelli for Alexandria and Kalyssa leaving or getting cut from the squad after the season started. The whole thing makes me think CMT and Charlotte had their hand in the DCC cookie jar so to speak. I am not buying Kelli is not happy with her decision about cutting Brennan during last year's TC. If Brennan had decided she had enough and did not try out again, would this even have been brought up at all. Hmmm...I say a big freaking no! It is just another story line brought up by CMT, Kelli and Charlotte (and yes, I just checked and Kelli and Charlotte are still Executive Producers for the show.) I also do not buy Kelli tearing up and believing Victoria has what it takes to be a DCC. I say another bad attempt to get the fans and viewers to buy the ole yes Victoria is earning her spot in TC and on the team spiel because some of the viewers and fans are questioning what is going on behind the scenes.

Edited by bigskygirl

I'm not sure what is wrong with me.  Like most of you, I've watched all episodes since the beginning.  For some reason this season, I'm feeling underwhelmed.  I know there's only been one episode so far.  Hoping this feeling changes as the season progresses but knowing what I do as to who has already been cut, I don't have a favorite I'm rooting for as I have in the past.  I think I'm missing the powerhouses of seasons past. 

Edited by go4luca
my usual: clarity
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I do not think it is all on Kelli for Alexandria and Kalyssa leaving or getting cut from the squad after the season started. The whole thing makes me think CMT and Charlotte had their hand in the DCC cookie jar so to speak. I am not buying Kelli is not happy with her decision about cutting Brennan during last year's TC. If Brennan had decided she had enough and did not try out again, would this even have been brought up at all. Hmmm...I say a big freaking no! It is just another story line brought up by CMT, Kelli and Charlotte (and yes, I just checked and Kelli and Charlotte are still Executive Producers for the show.) I also do not buy Kelli tearing up and believing Victoria has what it takes to be a DCC. I say another bad attempt to get the fans and viewers to buy the ole yes Victoria is earning her spot in TC and on the team spiel because some of the viewers and fans are questioning what is going on behind the scenes.

IMHO the only legacy I feel earned her spot fair and square was Meredith Oden. She wanted to be a DCC like her mom but wasn't so over the top about it. Plus her mom Kim seemed really likeable to me unlike Tina. 

• Love 7

I loved Meredith!!!  One of the best kickers!  I just watched the show she taught the kick line.  “It’s a split jump, a split”. Also, one of the well spoken ones.  I would love to see them do a public speaking with etiquette training.  

Edited by Lexusprincess
correction of word
  • Love 4

I noticed that the soundtrack to the first episode appeared to be a rehash of songs from previous seasons. I only noticed a few new tunes lol like that "rebel just for kicks now" song during Erin's intro. Also, was it just me or when they showed Shelly nervous during Dayton's audition was it recycled footage from last year? Just noticed that too lol. They seemed to use a lot of recycled footage like during the promo for next week. Wonder why. Either way I'm excited that the new season is underway and enjoyed the first episode.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, go4luca said:

I'm not sure what is wrong with me.  Like most of you, I've watched all episodes since the beginning.  For some reason this season, I'm feeling underwhelmed.  I know there's only been one episode so far.  Hoping this feeling changes as the season progresses but knowing what I do as to who has been already cut, I don't have a favorite I'm rooting for as I have in the past.  I think I'm missing the powerhouses of seasons past. 

With only 135 girls trying out this year that tells you that the girls that really know what is gong on, with CMT and Charlotte, are not willing to try out.  They whole process has gotten so political that the girls know they don't have a chance unless you are recruited.  

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

IMHO the only legacy I feel earned her spot fair and square was Meredith Oden. She wanted to be a DCC like her mom but wasn't so over the top about it. Plus her mom Kim seemed really likeable to me unlike Tina. 

I liked when she was sewing Meredith's shorts and made a comment about how short they were, and not to tell her father:)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, 5678Pixie said:

With only 135 girls trying out this year that tells you that the girls that really know what is gong on, with CMT and Charlotte, are not willing to try out.  They whole process has gotten so political that the girls know they don't have a chance unless you are recruited.  

I feel like all the comeback girls are examples of how non-recruited/affiliated girls make it. Kelli Quinn tried out four times, and now she’s a show group member. Madeline was cut and then came back and is a show group member. 

• Love 5
On 8/3/2018 at 10:26 AM, bigskygirl said:

Kelli was really trying to convince us 400 showed up at auditions. Take a look at the scene where she was talking to the girls. No way in heck 400 girls were there unless they were hiding in the bushes and trees outside.

I wish they would do Prelims and Semi-Finals in one episode and do two Finals episodes instead.

They were behind the grassy knoll!

Yes, me too about prelims and semis. Maybe 15 mins, then 45 in semis. Prelims aren’t they exciting and cut some of the sob stories (especially if they don’t even make it to training camp).  

21 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I’m back. Sorry, I thought I was done but I forgot one thing: THE MUSIC WAS HORRIBLE. Again. Yes, they played Avicii (big fan) but I’ve been singing Call Me Maybe all damn day. They can’t pay for good songs for the tv airings?

But way better than the ‘fake’ CMT replacement songs. Those are God-awful!

• Love 4

I rewatched and finally saw Charlotte's pants that people were talking about. And honestly they weren't as bad as I was expecting. Lol I thought it was gonna be a really ugly pattern or something. Although they were bold vertical stripes, they weren't as atrocious as some were saying, IMO. 

• Love 1

Here’s what I think about the audition numbers. I think that they start at number 1 whenever registration opens. Then on the first of the following month, they jump to 101, regardless of what the last number was. Then the next month starts at 201. And so on.

15 hours ago, Gigi88 said:

Like the girl who went through a “dark” time in her life by not making the UCLA dance team ?. Cry me a river honey.

As soon as those words left her mouth, my first thought was "great, another entitled brat."  I would rather the show just get straight to the dancing and quit trying to manufacture these background sob stories of "struggle" that are going over like a lead balloon.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

As soon as those words left her mouth, my first thought was "great, another entitled brat."  I would rather the show just get straight to the dancing and quit trying to manufacture these background sob stories of "struggle" that are going over like a lead balloon.

Totally off topic, but all of this reminds me of the girl I went to high school with who came to school upset cause her maid didn't iron her underwear that morning.  I think they made an ABC Afterschool Special about it:)

• Love 7

To be fair to Daphne, the UCLA girl, CMT kind of forced this dumb story on her. On the other hand, I got on youtube to watch her dance team videos. My assessment is she's very good but not a superstar, really pretty and fit, nice style, medium power, low-ish kicks. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I mean, it’s not this girl’s fault that she was born on 3rd base and is thinking she hit a triple. I blame CMT for the “sob story” crap. Show me more dancing! Also, I found it interesting that CMT flew out to CA and FL to get “on location” footage of UCLA girl and Paris (who I actually didn’t hate, either...)

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Yep. Its one thing for her to talk about her dance career, including but the highs and lows. Fine. If thats her experience, then thats her experience. However, the "dark time" comment just made her sound like she's ridiculously out of touch and spoiled. 

• Love 3

It was either current DC C Molly or Madeline Molloy who said last year she made her college dance team but didn't make it back the second year and that was her wake up call to work harder.

• Love 2

How do you all remember names so well?? I'm going to have to start taking notes during the episodes!

Oh, did anyone catch that Dayton has been dancing since she was two? I almost missed her saying it. So I'm really happy she repeated it ten more times.  What I took away from that fun fact is that dancing your whole life doesn't mean you come out of it a strong dancer. Yuck, not impressed one bit with her "skill".  She's dull.

Melissa's new hair is fine but the whole look, complete with choker, has her channeling Tiffany Amber Thiessen in the 90's. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

Yep. Its one thing for her to talk about her dance career, including but the highs and lows. Fine. If thats her experience, then thats her experience. However, the "dark time" comment just made her sound like she's ridiculously out of touch and spoiled. 

ITA - I totally get that it can be a rough transition to go from being a big fish in a little pond to a large university like UCLA where you learn that being hot shit at your little high school does not mean you are even average when you're put into a much larger and much more competitive pool. And to be fair, I was totally fine with her decision not to audition for the dance team her freshman year so that she could get settled into college first, and I could understand how disappointing it was not to make the team when she finally tried out. But when she said that it was "a really dark period" after she didn't make the team her sophomore year, I was like dude, how is this girl going to react to rejection in the real world? Is she going to kill herself because a guy she met at a bar doesn't actually call her? Will she need to be institutionalized when she goes for a job interview and doesn't get hired? Seriously, girl, TOUGHEN UP. You managed to survive your first year of college without being on the team so I think you'll be okay.

Realistically, if this is the worst thing that's ever happened to you and it's enough to send you into a tailspin that ends in a dark place, consider how lucky you are and be thankful for how easy your life has been so far. Maybe it was just poor word choice or Daphne being a drama queen, but she wouldn't have come off so spoiled in that segment if she had just said that it was really disappointing but it motivated her to work harder the next year. It was the "dark place" that made her sound ridiculous and privileged (which, honestly, is not surprising for someone from Newport Beach).

What made it even better/worse (thanks, CMT editors!) was hearing her oh so sad story right after we heard about someone  who has actually had to deal with adversity in life. Dealing with a parent's death is life changing no matter how old you are, but at 13? Of course that's going to affect you profoundly. No, I don't think that Paris should make the team based solely upon her sob story, but considering that Kelli and Judy have given chances to girls who were far worse dancers in the past, why not Paris too? For the record, I didn't think Paris or Daphne were great dancers based on what we saw during the freestyle or during their intro packages.

While I understand Kelli and Judy's bias towards taking girls who have dance training because the assumption is that their training can be tweaked to fit the DCC mold, what it comes down to is that at the moment, neither Paris nor Daphne is DCC ready (unlike, say, Meredith and the Miss America girl who Melissa correctly said could put on a uniform right now) so they both have things they need to work on. Daphne is not super flexible (I can't get her subpar turning split leap out of my head) and she isn't a powerful dancer. To me, she danced like an average high school dancer - nothing special and she would fade into the background, especially in a group as large as the DCC. Can she get powerful, flexible, and sparkly before football season starts? Maybe, but probably not. As on SYTYCD, I think the concern with untrained dancers like Paris is that they won't be able to pick up choreography quickly, but if she's worked as a backup dancer for that many artists then I think she'll be fine. They both have weaknesses but if they're willing to take one, why not the other since they both need work to be field ready?

As far as the DCC look goes, I think Paris has a very pretty face. I know several people have commented about her hair, but that's one of the easiest things to change. Daphne looks like every generic 20 year old you see at the mall in LA. She's not ugly or anything but she just doesn't stand out in a crowd.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, ByTor said:

Here's what I don't get, and maybe someone who has actually danced can answer this.  So many girls say they've danced since they were 2.  What kind of dancing can a 2 year old do?  They don't even walk so great at that age.

The answer is they don’t dance. They might PLAY, but they don’t dance. I don’t start any kid in class until at least 4, or a very advanced 3 year old who is about to turn 4. I’m a dance teacher. Not a babysitter. Also, at younger than 4, the language skills aren’t developed enough to understand the rules of class much less to be able to ask questions when they need to. 

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

The answer is they don’t dance. They might PLAY, but they don’t dance. I don’t start any kid in class until at least 4, or a very advanced 3 year old who is about to turn 4. I’m a dance teacher. Not a babysitter. Also, at younger than 4, the language skills aren’t developed enough to understand the rules of class much less to be able to ask questions when they need to. 

Thank you for answering our dance questions:)  On that note, what is a fouette (sp?) cause that has been mentioned a few times.

• Love 2