Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Road to World Class Begins

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I talked to Nicole Bulcher at Bar Method tonight after a class, and she said that it was difficult enough to sustain full-time employment when she was on the squad (but she did!) and since then, it seems every year, they require more and more of the girls' time and commitment. My guess is this is why we are seeing fewer girls going for 5 years and more and more girls quitting like last year mid-season. It's going to become damn near impossible if they don't treat them like full-time employees at some point. KaShara is an instructor at Bar Method too, but she has so little time to teach, that she's only there once in a while.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

I’m ashamed to admit this, but during the freestyle round, when Kelly or Judy gasped,  “She almost hit Victoria in the face!”, I muttered, “Darn!”

I thought this part was strange - it looked more like Victoria’s lack of spatial awareness made her dance into someone’s pirouettes.  Not the other way around. 

• Love 23

Everything went by so fast. I'm glad they recapped some of the re-auditioners...I really want to to root for them now. By the way, did the girl from UCLA make it at the end? They all looked alike. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Stee said:

I thought this part was strange - it looked more like Victoria’s lack of spatial awareness made her dance into someone’s pirouettes.  Not the other way around. 

I thought the same.

• Love 3

I was glad to hear Kelli emphasizing dance technique already in this round due to the fact that several girls in the past have made into TC with terrible technique and really just have no business being there because of their looks alone (i.e. Emily, former DMD dancer)

• Love 5
Just now, Teresa said:

I was glad to hear Kelli emphasizing dance technique already in this round due to the fact that several girls in the past have made into TC with terrible technique and really just have no business being there because of their looks alone (i.e. Emily, former DMD dancer)

Exactly, like Jalyn - why worry about the hair color?  As Melissa R and Marshall would say - that can be fixed

• Love 14
2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I won't be able to watch the episode until tomorrow ...

I won't be able to watch the episode until MONDAY because my DH Has a family reunion out of town.  :( Messes with my joy! 

26 minutes ago, CheerGoddess said:

Still loving the subtle shade Kelli threw at kalyssa and Alexandria about them leaving the team prematurely ?

What happened to kalyssa?  Wow, I'm sure Neil McCoy is sad cause he labelled her "hot"!

Edited by Mardo2044
6 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I won't be able to watch the episode until MONDAY because my DH Has a family reunion out of town.  :( Messes with my joy! 

What happened to kalyssa?  Wow, I'm sure Neil McCoy is sad cause he labelled her "hot"!

She left before all of her duties were filled as a DCC, and Kelli referenced her and Alexandria leaving and saying that other girls could’ve had their spots. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I feel for you.  There are times when I REALLY miss cable, then I think of all the times Comcast raided my checking account and am glad I don't (besides, I still wouldn't be able to watch the episodes online because CMT and Comcast don't have an agreement).  

As for Kalyssa, she split in February of this year (I think) to pursue other avenues, mainly nude, nearly nude, and nude-with-a-towel modeling.  At least, that seems to be the majority of her "modeling" career right now.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ClosetBachJunkie said:

It was nice to see Kelli address what all of us have been saying, that Brennan should have been chosen over certain *ahem* others.

Who were the girls that shouldn't have made it over Brennan in your opinion?  I guess it is editing but it seems like others seemed to be struggling more than her who made the team last year.

Just now, EricaShadows said:

I feel for you.  There are times when I REALLY miss cable, then I think of all the times Comcast raided my checking account and am glad I don't (besides, I still wouldn't be able to watch the episodes online because CMT and Comcast don't have an agreement).  

As for Kalyssa, she split in February of this year (I think) to pursue other avenues, mainly nude, nearly nude, and nude-with-a-towel modeling.  At least, that seems to be the majority of her "modeling" career right now.

Wow! Kalyssa was my favorite last year.  I'm surprised she "retired" already.

1 minute ago, EricaShadows said:

As for Kalyssa, she split in February of this year (I think) to pursue other avenues, mainly nude, nearly nude, and nude-with-a-towel modeling.

Oh wow, I'm sure Kelli loves her saying she's former DCC with those types of "America's sweetheart" modeling jobs!  Eek!  

• Love 2

Although I didn’t necessarily agree with Kalyssa and Alexandria (and Milan) leaving before the end of season, (and I’m gutted that Robin and Maggie left before making the triangle) but I wonder if all the additional commitments might be one huge motivating factor?

Case in point: the fact that there is now a holiday show and the girls have to clear their Friday and Saturday evenings to do a kick line around a Christmas tree at The Star. 

It’s one thing to be burning the candle at both ends during training camp, but is it realistic to continue that schedule through the fall and Christmas?  I think Kelly even mentioned November being the busiest month they’ve ever had on a recent podcast.  

Maybe the “attrition” that Kelly mentioned is due to the larger time commitments that the impose on the DCC. 

Anyway - I just found that particular segment to stand out in the first episode. It really seems like they want to capitalize on the promotion of the DCC, but maybe it’s at the expense of burning through the rookies and veterans at a much quicker pace. 

• Love 21
49 minutes ago, Harrythecat said:

Definitely felt a shift in the catty comments tonight.   Lots of eye rolls, but less starkly 

Unlike Melissa, I really dislike the showing of the “bad” girls. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, DCCroutineFAN said:

Someone please explain to me what the yes no maybe system is again???

It is yes I want to see her back no I don’t wanna see her back or if your on the fence give her a maybe 

12 minutes ago, DocMartin said:

Who were the girls that shouldn't have made it over Brennan in your opinion?  I guess it is editing but it seems like others seemed to be struggling more than her who made the team last year.

Wow! Kalyssa was my favorite last year.  I'm surprised she "retired" already.

I know you were addressing someone else when you asked the question, but I think if Brennan, Taryn and Celinda had made the team (with Erica leaving and Christina getting cut), this would have put them at 38 girls.  Then, when Alexandria had left, they still would have been over roster by 1 girl and exactly on roster when Milan left.  While having Kalyssa leave in February wouldn't have affect the field performances any, I suspect that Kalyssa wasn't getting the appearances and assignments she wanted (probably the high-paying, high-end ones that usually go to the veterans and/or the veterans who've been there the longest) thus, she jumped at the first chance she could to break contract.

11 minutes ago, Stee said:

Although I didn’t necessarily agree with Kalyssa and Alexandria (and Milan) leaving before the end of season, (and I’m gutted that Robin and Maggie left before making the triangle) but I wonder if all the additional commitments might be one huge motivating factor?

Case in point: the fact that there is now a holiday show and the girls have to clear their Friday and Saturday evenings to do a kick line around a Christmas tree at The Star. 

It’s one thing to be burning the candle at both ends during training camp, but is it realistic to continue that schedule through the fall and Christmas?  I think Kelly even mentioned November being the busiest month they’ve ever had on a recent podcast.  

Maybe the “attrition” that Kelly mentioned is due to the larger time commitments that the impose on the DCC. 

Anyway - I just found that particular segment to stand out in the first episode. It really seems like they want to capitalize on the promotion of the DCC, but maybe it’s at the expense of burning through the rookies and veterans at a much quicker pace. 

I can't believe girls left before the season ended. There are so many that want to be on the team.....so much for the dream.

• Love 3

Not even a few minutes in and we already have a Cassie montage.... 

Cute to see Shelly walk around with Nick Flores interviewing girls instead of that Anthony Ramos guy from last year. 

I was a little taken aback by Victoria. She was not as pretty as I thought she would be. I guess she photographs well but is not telegenic. 

Did Melissa Rycroft drop the Strickland? Did she get divoriced?

Kelli: "There are 400 of you here today!" Mmmmkay. Where are the rest hiding?

Oh boy. Kelli is tearing up over VK. And so it begins. I don't think she's going to be able to look at this girl through her "director's lens".  I think it's too much like watching her own daughter.

Am I seeing "timid" Emily (former TCC, super skinny, shy, quiet, "Y'all didn't make me cry, I made me cry!") at prelims or is it someone who just looks a lot like her?

Brennan: "Until Kelli and Judy tell me to not come back, I feel like it's something I need to keep pursuing because I truly believe it is something I am meant to do if freaking CHRISTINA can make this team, so can I" 

I'm not really impressed with any of the girls looks so far. Literally no one stood out to me as really pretty. Except maybe that pageant girl 

Girl, I freaking LOVE pickles too

I wonder if Dayton and VK were coached to not be seen on camera at all together. Surprised CMT wasn't all over the "2 lifelong besties trying out together" storyline

2 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I won't be able to watch the episode until tomorrow because I cut the cable several years ago (long story short: Comcast kept raising my cable rates so I dropped to the lowest package I could get and still have the channels I wanted, I got one month at the new rate, then Comcast raised my rate right back to where it had been before.  Since I knew it was likely to keep going up, I returned the hardware and cut cable entirely).  I can't even watch it on any CMT platform because they require one to log in with one's cable provider (which I don't have and Comcast isn't on there anyways).   Besides, I REALLY like spoilers (don't tell River Song I said that). 

I don't have cable either and I watched it on CMT.com on my phone!

• Love 8

OMG. We are going to get our ears assaulted with that horrid Lightning and Thunder song. Ugghhhhhh!!!

What was with that girl Diamond at prelims that had abs split in half? That was weird!

I don't hate VK. She is all right. At the same time I get the feeling Dayton does not want it bad enough.

Brennan's costume was beautiful and she looked great this year. Then again, lots and lots of gorgeous young women auditioned. 

Not sure how I feel about Paris. Something is off about her. 

Lots of bad, fried hair and stringy extensions. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Melissa R looks really pretty this year and Judy obviously had (good) work done. 

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 6

First thoughts:

I don't hate Victoria as much as I thought I would? I'm kind of surprised.  It's kind of cute how excited her mom is for her. I'll reserve judgment until I see how the rest of the season pans out, but her dancing still didn't blow me away.

LOVE Meredith

Really rooting for Brennan and I think it sounds like Kelli wants her this year

Also wanting to root for "diamond in the rough" Paris but something tells me she won't make it past semis...Agree with one poster above, something off about her.

Omg Nick Flores is 1000000x better than Anthony Ramos THANK YOU

I like that Dayton shows her personality on camera and isn't just basic like a lot of them

• Love 13

I really like this episode! A lot more than ones in the past for the first one of the season. I thought that Victoria was absolutely adorable and likable! I thought that she shined and came across as super sweet and I have no problem with her mother being so happy for her. I had no preconceived notions of her before, and I was really quite pleasantly surprised. I found myself smiling when she was talking. I thought she was sincere. Let’s see how the rest goes for her. Meredith was very pretty and I hope that, as Kelli said, she will be able to translate it to the Pom style. I liked the karate girl, and the UCLA girl. Don’t think Paris will progress, but I give her credit for trying out. Loved Nick Flores! He should have been here a long time ago!  Wonder why they didn’t focus on Briana? Remember the girl from Tennessee who had kicks that Kelli said were all over the clock? They interviewed her but didn’t mention her. I was not impressed with Dayton with what they showed. She was fine, but not a stand out at all. I thought she looked a bit heavy, pretty much the same as before. I thought the girl who Kelli said had great recommendations but she wasn’t sure of her foot work was fine, but I sense impending doom for her based on what Kelli said. 

For the firs time in the history of the show, I actually really agree with what Kelli and the judges said when they said it was a stacked year with top notch talent. I absolutely saw that this time! Very excited for next week!!

• Love 5

Thoughts so far:

- I love that Kelli is finally acknowledging less than 500 women are auditioning each year

- Victoria Kalina’s speech to the judges was embarrassing

- “I love pickles” - why would this poor girl say that?

- Love the new choreographer judge

- Melissa is still getting on my nerves

- I love that I was listening to old Howard Stern shows on YouTube and MTT commercials kept airing

- I love that Kelli acknowledged at the outset of the show that she loves one girl. This might be a first.

- I also love that so many serious dancers tried out. After what happened on the squad last season, they seemed eager to see these girls.

- I love that Kelli acknowledged that Brennan should have been picked to be on the team last year. But as we all know, hindsight is 20/20.

- Although many of the cheerleaders failed the Cowboys this past year, they had two benchmark events happen that were historic to the entire organization. Kelli was smart to acknowledge that. How they can top the Hall of Fame and the Smithsonian?

Lastly, does the show that follows MTT:DCC have an audience? Who goes to CMT for a drunk bad girl show? You go to (or used to go) to VH-1 for that!  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Holly85 said:

It is yes I want to see her back no I don’t wanna see her back or if your on the fence give her a maybe 

I was totally being a smarty pants!!!  I  know what it is its just funny to hear Kelli explain the self explanatory every year! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CheerGoddess said:

Still loving the subtle shade Kelli threw at kalyssa and Alexandria about them leaving the team prematurely ?

YESSSSS!!!! Especially the part where Kelli admitted that Brennan should have made the team last year! GO BRENNAN!!!  

Also, if they'd stop showing Tina Kalina so much, VK might stand a chance at not being so despised...Tina looks like an overly-processed pug...

• Love 12
2 hours ago, NMDD43 said:

Not even a few minutes in and we already have a Cassie montage.... 

Cute to see Shelly walk around with Nick Flores interviewing girls instead of that Anthony Ramos guy from last year. 

I was a little taken aback by Victoria. She was not as pretty as I thought she would be. I guess she photographs well but is not telegenic. 

Did Melissa Rycroft drop the Strickland? Did she get divoriced?

Oh boy. Kelli is tearing up over VK. And so it begins. I don't think she's going to be able to look at this girl through her "director's lens".  I think it's too much like watching her own daughter.

Am I seeing "timid" Emily (former TCC, super skinny, shy, quiet, "Y'all didn't make me cry, I made me cry!") at prelims or is it someone who just looks a lot like her?

Brennan: "Until Kelli and Judy tell me to not come back, I feel like it's something I need to keep pursuing because I truly believe it is something I am meant to do if freaking CHRISTINA can make this team, so can I" 

I'm not really impressed with any of the girls looks so far. Literally no one stood out to me as really pretty. Except maybe that pageant girl 

Girl, I freaking LOVE pickles too

I wonder if Dayton and VK were coached to not be seen on camera at all together. Surprised CMT wasn't all over the "2 lifelong besties trying out together" storyline

I don't have cable either and I watched it on CMT.com on my phone!

Yes!! I agree! I counted only 135 in those stadium seats! Where did the rest go? Still "fluffin' and puffin"?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Stee said:

Thank you for explaining this!  I was really curious about Kalyssa.

3 hours ago, CheerGoddess said:

Do you know why Alexandria left?  I do not!  I can't find it online either.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Mamamakesminis said:

There have been a number of "theories" since she left but not sure if any were confirmed.  Some on these boards have said family illness and she wanted to be closer. Some have claimed she missed her family and "man bun" BF too much to be away. But she left early in the season - I believe September perhaps? 

• Love 2

I'm not thrilled about the taekwondo girl. I'm sorry, but to spend all your time on another sport, then just walk in and expect to beat out girls who are trained dancers is just arrogant. I'm sure taekwondo keeps her fit and flexible, and she is very pretty, but it belittles the skills required to be a real dancer to think that's all there is to it.

• Love 7

I looooove the audition episodes! So much dancing! It still amazes me how many girls attempt moves during the freestyle that they aren't good at. Why is everyone convinced that they should do a turning split leap when they can't get their back leg up parallel to the floor? Yes, I'm talking to you, UCLA Daphne and legacy Victoria.

As always, I cracked up at the contrast between Kelly saying that there were 400 dancers at open auditions and then seeing how many girls were actually in the stands for Kelly's pre-audition talk at the stadium (less than 200) and in the chairs before/after the freestyles (less than 100).

So far, I like Nick Florez as a judge. It's nice to have someone with a (non-DCC) dance background on the panel.

I was surprised by how many girls they featured who started dancing so late in life. To be honest, it shows. Madi and Paris were not the strongest dancers. Paris has a beautiful smile and a great story, but I'm going to need to see some better dancing from her.

Brennan and Madeline both seemed much more confident and strong.

Of the new girls, I liked Malena from the Jets, Meredith, the Miss America runner up, and Gabi (although Kelli clearly has it out for her already so I don't see her lasting long).

I had to laugh when Melissa said that the bad auditions were her favorite. I know what she means. You see all of these beautiful dancers and after a while they start to blend together so the bad auditions are like a shot of espresso to wake you up again. One of my favorite dance recital memories was a kiddie show that my sister was in when she was probably four. One of the other ballet classes with slightly older girls (probably 7-8 years old) did a dance where they repeated the choreography. There was a section they did three or four times where all of the girls did a chaîné to the right. One girl turned to the left EVERY SINGLE TIME and whacked right into the poor girl next to her. My other sister and I were in the audience trying so hard not to laugh.

5 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

Hi I am Gina, from Pismo Beach, California and I have been captain of the Champagne & Cat Lovers who Couch Lounge team of one since like forever. ? *single pirouette into sassy DCC pose*

Don't forget the requisite hair flip!

5 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

I notice a lot of rookie tryouts are using the moves from past years’ dancers. Like one girl doing the twirl then fall into splits that Holly did.

To be fair, Holly did not invent that move. Lots of people did it before she did and lots of people will do it for years to come. If you go to dance competitions or even recitals, you'll see certain moves are very popular and done a lot. That was true even in my dance days!

4 hours ago, Teresa said:

4 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Exactly, like Jalyn - why worry about the hair color?  As Melissa R and Marshall would say - that can be fixed

I agree on both counts. Instead of taking girls with low kicks and bad dance technique and hoping that you will somehow be able to miraculously transform them into flexible dancers with strong clean technique, look for girls who have fixable attributes. Hair color is easily changed in a few hours. You can't say the same for girls with terrible technique and low kicks. I remember there was an old interview with Hugh Hefner where he was asked what he looked for in Playboy models. He said the most important thing was a pretty face because if their bodies weren't perfect, they could airbrush the pictures but that you can't make an ugly face pretty. I wish Kelli would take a page out of that book and realize that she can't turn girls with low kicks who can't do the splits into Gumby over the course of training camp.

• Love 16

I'm rooting for Erin this year. When they showed a clip of her falling out during a routine from last year (when the alums were there), she did not lose that bright smile on her face.  She totally kept her composure (something I never noticed when originally watching last season).  So, good on her and I hope she makes the team.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Law Mom said:

I'm not thrilled about the taekwondo girl. I'm sorry, but to spend all your time on another sport, then just walk in and expect to beat out girls who are trained dancers is just arrogant. I'm sure taekwondo keeps her fit and flexible, and she is very pretty, but it belittles the skills required to be a real dancer to think that's all there is to it.

She actually is a dancer.  This was CMT doing the "I'm not just a dancer I'm also a ......" segment.  They mentioned her being a Dallas Stars Ice Girl and she also was dancing as an Allen Americans Ice Angel. 

I like Nick being on the panel. He was a good addition.  It was subtle but obvious they are spinning the girl power, safe place, great organization with all the current law suits going on. Also the shade at the girls that left early!! Go Kelli

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Mamamakesminis said:

The story that was told was that there was a family sickness so she left because of that, but many believe she left to be with her boyfriend because the two of them bought a house together back in New England before she came to Dallas to audition.  She did one preseason game and then left. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jessied84 said:

There have been a number of "theories" since she left but not sure if any were confirmed.  Some on these boards have said family illness and she wanted to be closer. Some have claimed she missed her family and "man bun" BF too much to be away. But she left early in the season - I believe September perhaps? 

I think it was really that she was just over it. It’s probably more difficult for these girls who have dreamer to being a DCC since they were born to wrap their head around — but from these out of market girls, especially from other teams and on the coasts where there is so much more opportunity, the DCC rules and regulations get old quick. They have been out there, they have had experience, and they can smell the bullshit. 

Think about the amazing dancers like Sam, Ashley Nicole, Mandy — they were more mature, more experienced and had more options. The DCC mystique fades much more quickly than it does for an 18 year old from suburban Dallas who has been groomed for this since two.

the easiest more believable answer is Alexandria was a well trained experienced dancer with lots of NFL experience, including the pro bowl and Super Bowls. This was a dance job to her, she got it and realized the requirements were insane, so she quit.  Only a DCC cult meme we would start talking about that being a betrayal. 

• Love 15

Victoria did look a little soft and I hope they at least show K and J telling her to get with Jay and lose a few.  In the real world, she looks fine but she is not as lean as the usual DCC.

The lifelong friend montage looks like it came from the bride special and so of course it's Cassie.  I don't have a problem with that.  

I'm rooting for the Miss America runner up.  I see her different than the Minchew sisters or Kat Dunn because it appears she has more of a dance background.

Paris has the big sob story..........a single mom within minutes of the show starting but she seems rough and has no real dance background.  You can change a girl's hair color or style but I am not sure you can polish up this one.  

5 minutes ago, Lexusprincess said:

Victoria did look a little soft and I hope they at least show K and J telling her to get with Jay and lose a few.  In the real world, she looks fine but she is not as lean as the usual DCC.

The lifelong friend montage looks like it came from the bride special and so of course it's Cassie.  I don't have a problem with that.  

I'm rooting for the Miss America runner up.  I see her different than the Minchew sisters or Kat Dunn because it appears she has more of a dance background.

Paris has the big sob story..........a single mom within minutes of the show starting but she seems rough and has no real dance background.  You can change a girl's hair color or style but I am not sure you can polish up this one.  

Rachel, The first runner up at Miss A, has a substantial dance background and also danced at Clemson! Her talent piece at Miss A was gorgeous 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Lexusprincess said:

Hopefully, she won't get as "fat" as Meghan.   There's a lot of snark in that sentence.  I think she'll dance her heart out.  She sure seems to have her head on straight for someone barely 18.

• Love 5

At the beginning when they showed the shot of Kelli stepping out of the Escalade, that was really cheesy but at the same time; wow, she looks so pretty!  Judy and Shelly look amazing as well.  I'm sure they've all had some work done, but no shame in that!

• Love 2

Charlotte's pants are awful...Jay's camo wear is old...I would love to see him in some regular clothes...Love Nick as a judge...and Melissa....UGH...so over her!! 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, dccfan37 said:

Rachel, The first runner up at Miss A, has a substantial dance background and also danced at Clemson! Her talent piece at Miss A was gorgeous 

9 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

OMG. We are going to get our ears assaulted with that horrid Lightning and Thunder song. Ugghhhhhh!!!

What was with that girl Diamond at prelims that had abs split in half? That was weird!

I don't hate VK. She is all right. At the same time I get the feeling Dayton does not want it bad enough.

Brennan's costume was beautiful and she looked great this year. Then again, lots and lots of gorgeous young women auditioned. 

Not sure how I feel about Paris. Something is off about her. 

Lots of bad, fried hair and stringy extensions. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Melissa R looks really pretty this year and Judy obviously had (good) work done. 

Agree about Paris, not a fan at all...