Type keyword(s) to search

OUAT vs. Other Fairy Tales: Compare & Contrast

• Start Topic

Oh, yes,

Agony was the most hilarious part. The audience was laughing out loud as they kept going into those romance novel cover poses. The song I missed was "No More" because it seemed like that was needed for him to come to the realization that he needed to go back instead of running away. The music even seemed to be building to it, then poof, he was coming back (the Once Upon a Time writers must have hijacked the script there).

The movie was rather short on sexy pirates. The cute men were all jerks.

Not a fairy tale by any means, but I watched the third Hobbit movie today. It was good, but not great. Sadly, I feel that the Hobbit trilogy has retroactively diminished the LotR movies in many ways. Richard Armitage was yummy, of course! There were some weird scenes with Gandalf and Galadriel that had romantic overtones. I didn't like that. 92 yr old Christopher Lee had a fantastic fight sequence, and some foreshadowing was thrown in. 

I loved the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, but I have found the "The Hobbit" movies to be a big disappointment despite a talented cast.  I just watched the third one, and they really dragged out that book to its limits by forcing three movies.  I wouldn't have minded it if it explored the world more, but I felt like I watched

at least 45 minutes straight of characters killing one another.  I was interested to see how they would incorporate the Gandalf/Galadriel/confronting Sauron narrative/mythology, but it was basically all action scenes.  It might as well have been a video game.  The stuff they did add was weak.  I usually like character moments, but the ones they had in the last half hour of the 3rd hobbit movie were almost painful to watch since they felt so clunky and oddly inserted.  This surprised me since they did a great job of incorporating them naturally in the LoTR trilogy.  One example of the weak character moments was Legolas and his father's final scene.  It felt completely flat since the relationship was never properly developed.  It reminded me a little of "Once" in that regard.  Why would the Elf King recommend he find Strider/Aragorn?  Huh?  Thorin's epipany with the bright white light was weird and didn't make all that much sense.  I'll have to re-read the book since I never had a problem with his redemption and becoming a hero again but it was so abrupt and dumb when portrayed in the movie.

I did too! I noticed a passing issue that Once also has.

The protagonists didn't have hardly any victories at all until the very end, then a deus ex machina was thrown in. It was just getting tiring seeing the antagonists win after win after win. You could probably count Smaug and Sauron as "victories", but toward the end in the battle scenes I got annoyed at all the false orc deaths.

I felt that way too.  

I know the eagles also saved Frodo at Mount Doom, but they appeared twice in The Hobbit (when Frodo was trapped in the tree in that earlier movie, and then the end of this one... I know it was part of the book, which is more child-like and less sophisticated than LoTR but they could have made it seem less random in the movie).  Legolas and Tauriel finding out about the other orc army was pointless, since their warning came too late anyway... heck, have them go rally the woodland creatures and bring the Eagles.  Are we supposed to believe the seven characters who went up that mountain to the North held off that entire orc army #2 before Radagast arrived with the Eagles and bear?  I really hate seeing civilians/peasants die, and there was so much of it, whereas seeing the "bad guys" die wasn't satisfying since it was just nameless orc #134934873423.  I haven't read The Hobbit for over a year, but I had the feeling that characters like Bilbo and Bard were a little more intelligent in the book than how they appeared in the movie.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

On any other TV show...

* Regina would be labeled a psycho.

* The book crap would be just that.

* There wouldn't be black and white "heroes" and "villains".

Can you imagine if A&E wrote other Fantasy stories?

Lord of the Rings

Frodo: “No taste of food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or flower, no image of moon or star are left to me. I am naked in the dark. Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades.”

Sam: Have you ever considered Sauron just wants to be your friend?  That's why his Eye is trained on you?  It must be lonely to be shut up in Mordor all these years.

Batman

Alfred: Bruce, what is wrong?

Batman: Forgive me, for I have sinned.  I kicked the Joker to prevent him from killing everyone in Gotham.

Alfred: For shame.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Aslan the Lion: “Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written.”

White Witch: Well, I'm going to find the Author so he could write me a happy ending.

Harry Potter

Ron: I can't wait for the big celebration!

Dumbledore: You'll be happy to know I've invited Voldemort to join us in our festivities.

• Love 13
(edited)

I was reading some of the Grimm Fairy Tales, and there was a story called Frederick and Catherine.  It had nothing to do with Frederick and Kathryn from "Once", but I wonder if this was where A&E got their names from?   I can't see the story getting adapted since there really much of a plot, though I suppose it could be used as humor.

I also read "Sweetheart Roland".  I doubt it was intentional but there was a messed up love triangle involved, whereby a heroine and her sweetheart Roland ran away from an evil old woman, and then this happened (abridged, I bolded a part):

---------------

As they were now set free, Roland said: 'Now I will go to my father and arrange for the wedding.' 'Then in the meantime I will stay here and wait for you,' said the girl, 'and that no one may recognize me, I will change myself into a red stone landmark.' Then Roland went away, and the girl stood like a red landmark in the field and waited for her beloved. But when Roland got home, he fell into the snares of another, who so fascinated him that he forgot the maiden.

The poor girl remained there a long time, but at length, as he did not return at all, she was sad, and changed herself into a flower, and thought: 'Someone will surely come this way, and trample me down.'

--------------

This Roland is very much like Robin Hood, isn't he?   Frozen as ice, turned into a red landmark... what's the difference.

The ending of the story was very archaic, morally, though.  

The maiden (as the flower) ended up in a house of a shepherd, who eventually asked for her hand in marriage, 

----------------

But she answered: 'No,' for she wanted to remain faithful to her sweetheart Roland, although he had deserted her.

And now the time drew near when Roland's wedding was to be celebrated, and then, according to an old custom in the country, it was announced that all the girls were to be present at it, and sing in honour of the bridal pair. When the faithful maiden heard of this, she grew so sad that she thought her heart would break, and she would not go thither, but the other girls came and took her. When it came to her turn to sing, she stepped back, until at last she was the only one left, and then she could not refuse. But when she began her song, and it reached Roland's ears, he sprang up and cried: 'I know the voice, that is the true bride, I will have no other!' Everything he had forgotten, and which had vanished from his mind, had suddenly come home again to his heart. Then the faithful maiden held her wedding with her sweetheart Roland, and grief came to an end and joy began.

--------------

Not a very satisfying ending at all, since Roland wasn't very faithful at all but Marion, uh I mean, the maiden still took him back.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

We saw the promo for Galavant when we were at the movies a couple weeks back and my husband started shrieking like he was passing a kidney stone. He REALLY hates musicals. So I guess I won't be watching this one. .. at least not while he's home. :-)

This thing is being described as a cross between Monty Python and the Princess Bride if Buttercup chose Humperdink.  I found the commercials during aired during OUAT annoying and not at all intriguing.  But I just watched the 'making of' special and it was hysterical.  I may have to plug my ears when Weird Al sings doo w**, but otherwise its was really promising.  But I think the humor is right up my alley and that may be a mileage varies type thing.

At this point, I'm looking more forward to this than OUAT coming back from midseason.

(edited)

I finally got around to seeing "Maleficent" on DVD yesterday. I ... didn't really care for it. I found it very predictable, and I am so very over the trend of making the villains have some tragic backstory that excuses their villainy (in no small part because of Once's Regina story).

I thought the movie was fairly forgettable. Maleficent wasn't even really a villain... more like a backsliding protagonist. I totally agree it was predictable. The only highlight was Angelina Jolie's performance. Everything else was just annoying.

I rented "Maleficent" and watched it tonight.  Whoever wrote this movie made A&E seem like masters of the craft.  

As usual, we start out with a Young Maleficient who is a polar opposite of her future self.  What Stefan did to her was horrible (until we realized she could have gotten her wings back all along with the help of her woodland friends, but whatever...), but it hardly explained how she became an all-out maniacal evil witch.  What happened to all her whimsical friends in the Moor?  Were none of them able to convince her becoming evil was not the best idea?  Did the three small fairies not bother having a conversation with Maleficient before the coronation?  They seriously had no idea her wings were missing and the King took them?  Why was Maleficient so much larger than them?  Did only 4 talking fairies inhabit the entire Moor?  Why Curse the baby at all if she wasn't angry enough to let her walk off the cliff?    

The longer the movie wore on, the more nonsense arose.  Where the heck did Prince Philip come from, and why would Stefan send for him if there was an impassable thorn jungle in between?  Did I imagine the scene where Maleficient revoked the spell?  Was I supposed to clue in that it didn't work?  Where did all those spinning wheels come from at the end?  At least I was amused by all the similarities to "Once".  Surprise surprise when it was Maleficient's true love kiss which woke Aurora.  So it was a-ok that she let Aurora's father fall to his death?  Aurora didn't even get to react to that... I know this is Sleeping Beauty and the focus is on Maleficient, but Aurora was just sleepwalking her way through the entire movie.  What a female Henry.  Why didn't Maleficient turn the Dragon into a mouse when he was being captured?  Why would Stefan throw Maleficient away from the iron shield circle to fight her?  

Seriously, the person I feel most sorry for was Aurora's mother, who presumably died off-screen?  Or were we supposed to forget that Maleficent's actions destroyed her life?  The three little fairies were so delightful in the original movie but they were just idiotic and annoying and they didn't even try to give them character development. I laughed my head off when the voiceover ended with "In the end, my kingdom was united not by a hero or a villain, but by one who was hero AND villain, and her name was Maleficient." I never thought I would say this, but I think 4B's Maleficient backstory might have a fighting chance of beating this one.

Angelina Jolie was good in the role, but she would have been more enjoyable had this been a more straight-up adaptation where she was just evil like in the animated movie.  Giving her that tragic backstory just made it difficult to enjoy her villainy.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

I agree with everything camera one said about Maleficent. My kids who love Once hated it. Glad I didn't pay for it. Watched it at my sis in laws. They love it oddly.

I was just having brunch with a friend, and she told me a funny story about when she went with her mother and her daughter, who was in first grade at the time, to see Maleficent. At some particularly scary point in the movie, she said that her mother leaned over to ask whether this might be too scary for the daughter, at the exact same time as the daughter leaned over to whisper, "Mommy, I'm Maleficent!"

She's a little worried about the daughter (I had her in preschool choir. Worry is not an overreaction).

I read a book yesterday that I think some fans of this show might enjoy if you're looking for something to fill the hiatus: Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen. It's a fantasy/romance novel for adults starring (and narrated by) Captain Hook. I pretty much couldn't put it down.

In this take on the story, Hook was cursed into Neverland when he chose revenge and his reputation as a pirate over love, and he was made immortal. Not only does he not age in Neverland, but he can't be killed. That means he's spent centuries getting all kinds of mortal wounds that don't kill him and that he has to suffer through as they heal. Only he and Pan are ageless in Neverland. The Indians and mermaids live ordinary lifespans out of sight of Pan and just play their roles in his games, humoring him. The Lost Boys are sent home when they start to grow up, and some of them return as adults when they don't adjust well to the real world and never grow up in spite of becoming adults. They end up serving in Hook's crew, and they don't have a long life expectancy because they can be killed, and he's lost count of crews he's lost over the centuries. Then more than half a century after the events in the Barrie book (in this story, Barrie was a former Lost Boy who wrote his adventures upon returning home and according to Hook -- who refers to him as "that Scotch boy" -- he got it all wrong because he was blinded by admiration for Pan), an adult woman shows up in Neverland, which is unprecedented (since grown women are icky to Pan). She's a war widow in 1950 who longed for escape from the dreary world of post-war London. She may also be Hook's last chance to escape Neverland.

This is a very different Hook than ours and a very different view of Neverland, but there's still a lot in common (like Pan being the villain), and a lot of the themes in Hook's arc are similar (like getting over the need for revenge and his issue with his reputation). The book follows a structure similar to Once, in which there's the present-day story, interspersed with flashbacks to certain key events in Hook's life that are part of the path that led him to Neverland, going from his childhood to events after he arrived.

If you're a Hook fan and particularly a Captain Swan fan who likes a romantic Hook, you might like this book, though it may also make you weep for the lost possibility of the Neverland arc because there's some really cool worldbuilding here. Like, it actually builds a world. It's all told from Hook's perspective, and there are a lot of things that I could imagine our Hook thinking. At times I could almost hear Colin's voice in my head, doing the narration (and it's a pity they didn't get him to do the audiobook because that would have been deliciously meta).

• Love 5

I read a book yesterday that I think some fans of this show might enjoy if you're looking for something to fill the hiatus: Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen. It's a fantasy/romance novel for adults starring (and narrated by) Captain Hook. I pretty much couldn't put it down.

Thanks, Shanna Marie! I've added it to my Audible Wish List. I'll purchase it after I get through a couple of others. From the sample I heard, the narrator is pretty good. I can always picture Colin as Hook in my head. :)

I love Monty Python and Weird Al, so I'm in.

Those early Galavant promos annoyed me, but I've been hearing more and more good things about it. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of my all-time favorite movies (yes, I can recite it word for word). And anything with Weird Al makes me happy. I'm in.

So I just got done watching Galavant. It's cheeky, fun, and the perfect show to hold me over a bit until Once is back on the air. But goodness, the entire time I kept seeing things and thinking "why can't Once do that?!" Like...

• The physical sets and filming locations that look authentic and the lack of fake CGI castles.
  • People actually having dinner conversations together! And drinking conversations together! And openly talking about tough topics! And it's only been 2 episodes!
  • The quick pace without losing too much plot exposition or character stuff.
  • The medieval time period really makes me wish that the Once citizens could all move out of Storybrooke and go back to the Enchanted Forest.
  • Love 1

<p>

So I just got done watching Galavant. It's cheeky, fun, and the perfect show to hold me over a bit until Once is back on the air. But goodness, the entire time I kept seeing things and thinking "why can't Once do that?!" Like...

• The physical sets and filming locations that look authentic and the lack of fake CGI castles.

They got to use a real castle! Why can't Once use real castles? Now all I can imagine are the EF peasants singing about what happens to the main cast like the opening number in Galavant. They have to spread the news somehow, why not in song? I wish they could have a crossover!

Galavant has an insane budget, though. Which ABC can keep up for 8 half hour episodes (which is the equivalent of 4 OUAT episodes), but 22? What I mean to say is, I'm sure if Once had to produce only 4 episodes a year, they could go shooting in England/Ireland/whatever Galavant went. With 22, however...

• Love 3

Galavant has an insane budget, though. Which ABC can keep up for 8 half hour episodes (which is the equivalent of 4 OUAT episodes), but 22? What I mean to say is, I'm sure if Once had to produce only 4 episodes a year, they could go shooting in England/Ireland/whatever Galavant went. With 22, however...

And yet, ABC decided to throw more money at Adam & Eddy to extend the crypt sex episode into a 2-hour extravaganza. Realistically, I know we can't have nice things because we have big-name actors like Jen, Ginnie, and Robert eating up most of the budget. But I'd totally take a slightly shorter season if it meant getting rid of pointless flashbacks, having a larger budget for cooler location shoots, and no more CGI shit.

Edited by Curio

Watched the Galavant pilot. Not impressed. It was formatted like a kid's show, but had so many ridiculous innuendos that I'm not sure what audience it was trying to target. The story was so cliche that I'll probably forget about it in the near future. The songs were okay but far from amazing. They hurt most from the lyrics. I think most Oncers are going to tune out.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Watched the Galavant pilot. Not impressed. It was formatted like a kid's show, but had so many ridiculous innuendos that I'm not sure what audience it was trying to target. The story was so cliche that I'll probably forget about it in the near future. The songs were okay but far from amazing. They hurt most from the lyrics. I think most Oncers are going to tune out.

Don't know about most Oncers, but I liked Galavant. Was dragging a bit, but more because can't really keep up with joke after joke (and not all are funny to everyone, but that is okay), but I enjoyed it and had a good laugh. This show doesn't pretend to be anything but silly, and right now that is something I appreciate. The singing was decent, the music solid, and it looked like everyone involved had great fun. Nothing for a full big season, but great for a few episodes. If people expected something equal to Once though they might have been big time disappointed. Galavant is a different kind of show, just sharing the fairy tale touch.

Speaking of fairy tale touch: The Librarians played around with fairy tales in their newest episode as well. More the silly tone there too, but quite enjoyable and with some nice little twists. Admittedly they pretty much got me already just with calling the town they went to Bremen, a nod to Town musicians of Bremen, one of my fav tales of the Grimm Brothers' collection (the musician never got to Bremen though in the tale), a little, silly thing making my day.

• Love 2
Don't know about most Oncers, but I liked Galavant.

I enjoyed it as well. It's cheeky, musical fluff. It's not pretending to be a high-minded drama or anything else. It was fun and funny. The world's slowest joust scene had me laughing for several minutes, and frankly, I enjoyed the entire hour more than I've enjoyed an episode of ONCE in a long, long, looooong, oh so very long time.

I don't know how much crossover it will have with ONCE's demographic because ONCE demo's (IMO) have shifted since it first premiered. In season 1, ONCE was a drama with heavy fantasy/fairy tale elements and directed towards adults, but now it's more of an action adventure schlock targeted at children (despite the adults still clinging to the show after season 1). OTOH, Galavant is a tongue-in-cheek musical that I think is meant to appeal to those who are fans of things like "Sir Spam-a-lot" and Monty Python-esque humor (and perhaps some "Into The Woods" fans), and that is mostly an adult audience you're looking at right there. Really, Galavant's only *connection* to ONCE is that it has fairy tale elements, that's all, and for that reason used as a winter sub for ONCE.  

I don't think there's a lot of concern on the ABC execs part for solely retaining ONCE's audience. They just want people to watch, they don't care who they are (ONCE viewers or not) as long as they fit in the coveted 18-49 demo. There was simply a better chance for grabbing eyeballs to watch Galavant using ONCE's temporarily vacated time slot versus a time slot where users normally watch, for example, Scandal or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 2

I've been reading about Galavant and now I need to watch it. It looks so bad that I would probably love it. And one of the princesses is from Valencia, lol. (I mean, I am from Valencia).

Edited by RadioGirl27

I've noticed Galavant has more diversity than Once, but still not queer representation. Although they had a beard joke and implied a guy was gonna get raped which I'm sure the OUAT writers found hilarious!

I thought Galavant was an amusing diversion.  The main character was likeable and the musical format was fun, though I agree with KingofHearts that I would never let children watch it with the sexual innuendo, which is a shame with Alan Menken music.  The location shots were really nice.  I wasn't a fan of the female character who betrayed Galavant.  So the King ordering her around made her reconsider for a moment?  That's just disturbing so I didn't find it funny.

Let's be honest, with a singing King Lassie I was onboard from the start but I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. It's fluffy, tongue in cheek fun. A lot of the reviews I read called it Princess Bride-esque but I felt a more Robin Hood Men in Tights vibe. A good 4 week escape.

The early '90's Disney Menken tunes were pretty much the soundtrack of my childhood, so I loved all the songs. While "You're Not the Worst Thing Ever" could never be confused for "A Whole New World", the songs had a familiarity to them that I really enjoyed.

OK, so I DO love Timothy Omundson (Lassie's the best), but I found Galavant to be just silly and not silly in a clever way. To me, there is a distinction there. I really wanted to like it. There's nothing wrong with being silly, but I just didn't connect with it.

Oh, and John Stamos? Hotter than ever! ;)

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

I enjoyed Galavant and I'm on board (I like silliness, I like songs). But now I've seen it, I understand why they're doubling up on the episodes -- I can commit to it for three more weeks, but I'd probably get bored at the full eight. That said, I will likely watch the Golden Globes this week, and watch Galavant online later, and it'll be interesting to see how it fares with that competition. Kids probably don't care about awards shows, but their parents might. 

I also wonder at which point they'll start promoting Once in the ad breaks. Obviously it doesn't return for two months, but it's also the most relevant cross-promotional opportunity. As long as they don't sing the advertisements. God, that almost made me switch channels.

I'm still only continuing to watch Galavant for King Lassiter, and the promise of Weird Al. That being said, I did rather like the castle crew of the king, Gareth, and the chef kid. I liked them WAY more than the "heroes". I think Galavant himself is my least favorite character on the show. Even lower than the golddigger queen.

The whole medieval setting + modern anachronisms combo does make me wish for some possible current-time scenes in the Enchanted Forest for Once. We've seen new EF immigrants as they adapt (or don't) to modern(ish) Storybrooke. I wish we could see the ones who have fully embraced indoor plumbing and reality TV deal with having to regress back to medieval conditions. Sneezy could bemoan the lack of tissues infused with lotion. Or Smee missing froyo. 

I'm still only continuing to watch Galavant for King Lassiter, and the promise of Weird Al. That being said, I did rather like the castle crew of the king, Gareth, and the chef kid. I liked them WAY more than the "heroes". I think Galavant himself is my least favorite character on the show. Even lower than the golddigger queen.

I liked the castle stuff a lot more too, even the queen. It was just funnier and had a bit more flavor. Team Galavant just felt bland and uninteresting. It wasn't very well-grounded.

I enjoyed it as well. It's cheeky, musical fluff. It's not pretending to be a high-minded drama or anything else.

I wasn't expecting Once. I normally tolerate cheesy musicals and I love tongue-in-cheek parodies, but like what OnceUponAJen said, it wasn't the clever kind of stuff I normally care for.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I must be the only one who actually liked all the singing promos and was wishing they'd do a Once one. But I was taking down my Christmas tree at the time, so I wasn't paying close attention, other than that it occurred to me that the tune for that main theme they were using in the promos was essentially an uptempo version of the intro to "If I Can't Love Her" from the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast. And now that's the song that's stuck in my head.

I don't think I could imagine this as an ongoing series, but in the doldrums of winter and as a lead-in to Downton Abbey, it amuses me.

I'm going to have to learn "Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever" (or however that went) as my new thing to sing during all Outlaw Queen scenes so I don't have to listen to the dialogue.

I'm going to have to learn "Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever" (or however that went) as my new thing to sing during all Outlaw Queen scenes so I don't have to listen to the dialogue.

That would have been the perfect song for them to sing during the Missing Year!

I must be the only one who actually liked all the singing promos and was wishing they'd do a Once one. But I was taking down my Christmas tree at the time, so I wasn't paying close attention, other than that it occurred to me that the tune for that main theme they were using in the promos was essentially an uptempo version of the intro to "If I Can't Love Her" from the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast. And now that's the song that's stuck in my head.

Well, now that's going to be stuck in my head for the next few days.

And in my twisted face

there's not the slightest trace

of anything that even hints at

Gaaalavant!

And from my tortured shape

no comfort, no escape

I see, but deep within is

Gaaalavant!

Edited by HeimrArnadalr
  • Love 1

They got to use a real castle! Why can't Once use real castles? Now all I can imagine are the EF peasants singing about what happens to the main cast like the opening number in Galavant. They have to spread the news somehow, why not in song? I wish they could have a crossover!

Heck, they got a real castle for the cheesy reality show The Quest.  They're not that hard to come by!

Galavant was the perfect way to end a long and difficult day of moving house for me. I just couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all. I was watching it with a friend, and I turned to him at one point and asked if I really heard them say "butt-clenching." We were kind of MST3K-ing the thing.

• Love 1

I rewatched the joust episode of Galavant last night and laughed more the second time because I knew the things to look for that I didn't notice the first time. I've seen some criticisms of the singing and talk about how they should have hired actors who could sing, but I didn't have any complaints. Everything was on pitch enough that I didn't cringe and nobody had any major stylistic or technical quirks that bothered me (the vowels seemed placed more or less properly instead of spread, no one was too nasal or whiny). They all sounded about on major Broadway touring company levels of skill/talent (but mostly without that extra special something that leads to stardom on Broadway itself), though it was hard to tell how much of that was from production vs. how they'd sound singing live. They didn't sound like today's overproduced pop singers (who probably couldn't perform totally unplugged) or like opera singers, but they were right on target for this kind of production. I do wish the main character was hotter and more charismatic, since he's supposed to be some kind of paragon. Even before his downfall, I found him kind of "meh." That water scene so wasn't worth the (very funny) "Daaammmmnnn."

I'm not sure I'd class it as "fairy tale," though, unless they're planning to introduce magical elements down the line. So far, it's closer to a comedy Ivanhoe.

• Love 1

Even before his downfall, I found him kind of "meh." That water scene so wasn't worth the (very funny) "Daaammmmnnn."

Ahah, I know! When she went "damn", I was like "damn what? He has no abs"

• Love 1

I'm usually not the target audience for musicals (and I don't even like Monty Python, too), but I've kinda enjoyed Galavant. I suspect the wine I've happened to consume before watching helped. 

I concur with those who preferred Queen/Kinga Richard/Vinnie Jones over Galavant and the princess. They are just not as fun, so far. The Queen, however, is hilarious. I always love an honest ambitious bitch.

• Love 1

I loved the Queen, too. The actress played a very similar character on ABC Family's Young & Hungry, and she did great there too with an honestly thankless role. 

Galavant and Isabella aren't bad, but they certainly don't have the chemistry of S1 Snowing.

• Love 1

I was listening to a Disney CD and the song "Love" from the animated "Robin Hood" came on.  These were some of the lyrics...

Life is brief, but when it's gone

Love goes on and on

Love will live

Love will last

Love goes on and on and on

This definitely did not describe the Robin and Marion we got in 4A.  

Disney's Robin Hood was one of my favorites as a kid, but I used to hate when that song came on in the movie. It was so boring and lame to watch. Bring back the fun not the stupid love story crap. I was more on board with a Little John/Lady Kluck pairing than Marian/Robin. I love Once's Marian way more than the cartoon movie version. She is badass and awesome and I am beyond disgusted about how she's been treated by Robin.

• Love 3

The King from Galavant reminds me of Prince John from the Disney movie for some reason. The quasi-antagonistic relationship he has with the Queen is super similar to Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang's, as well.

Edited by KingOfHearts

The King from Galavant reminds me of Prince John from the Disney movie for some reason. The quasi-antagonistic relationship he has with the Queen is super similar to Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang's, as well.

Loved that movie as a child. I saw on Twitter that Dick van Dyke is 89. Love Ian Fleming and his over-the-top names for heroines. Truly Scrumptious, indeed. OK...Back to the topic at hand....

• Love 2