Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: Judge Cuts 3

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

How many live shows are there before the finale?

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/americas-got-talent-schedule-2018-agt-season-13-news/

The semi-finals go live on September 4, 5, 11 and 12. Aside from the 21 acts put through during the quarter-finals there will be one additional wildcard. Each week, 11 acts will perform with five making it through to the finals. The two-part finale will air live on September 18 and 19.

• Love 1

So many good previous posts, I have little to add.  I wanted Oliver, for sure.  High school dance wasn't even as good as a local L.A. high school which puts on "Dances of the World" shows each Spring.

The thing that most got to me was Simon rescuing fat boy singer who then busted out "Whipping Post."  I will never forget, nor forgive, Simon's indifference to Bo Bice on Idol.  Bo was a true Southern rocker who brought it everytime.  Simon hated his success.  Bo's "Whipping Post" performance is in the pantheon of all-timers on American Idol, and TV generally, as far as I am concerned.   Anyhoooooo....Simon is all about this new guy?  Really?

What an underwhelming season, overall.  I have to believe production costs were significantly cut and this has led to the rot we are seeing.  Well, that and the fact that we have pretty much seen it all in past seasons and have necessarily higher standards today.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The thing that most got to me was Simon rescuing fat boy singer who then busted out "Whipping Post." 

The whole "Stop! Sing something else" instant-second-chance bit is annoying enough in the auditions (which they did twice this year, making it look even more fake than the first time they did it last season), but during the judge cuts? If you don't come out there with a great performance in the second round, you shouldn't get another shot right then and there. Are we gonna have another one in the semi-finals?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The whole "Stop! Sing something else" instant-second-chance bit is annoying enough in the auditions (which they did twice this year, making it look even more fake than the first time they did it last season), but during the judge cuts? If you don't come out there with a great performance in the second round, you shouldn't get another shot right then and there. Are we gonna have another one in the semi-finals?

That whole Simon "Sing something else" is so scripted. The singers are told what to sing to begin with, and which song they are suppose to switch to, thereby all of a sudden becoming a miraculously fabulous singer after being a cr*p one minutes before. I guess it's to create drama, but the only drama it creates with me is irritation that other acts aren't given a second chance if judges feel they didn't "step it up" for their next performance. Instead we get snippets of the judges complaining some act wasn't as good as it was last time and, subsequently, they are sent home.

Sometimes I hate this show.

Anyone know if Bello Kock's daughter is coming back? How does one top being blown (almost) up? Even if that wasn't fake too. I still like seeing Bello.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

but the only drama it creates with me is irritation that other acts aren't given a second chance if judges feel they didn't "step it up" for their next performance.

Yep. It doesn't even make sense in the judge cuts rounds. At least in the auditions we haven't heard them sing before. By judge cuts we know they can sing better than the "first try" and it makes it even more obvious that it's totally fake.

I roll my eyes a lot watching this show. Sometimes I hit mute when the judges start talking. Or during a particularly sappy backstory.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, lynxfx said:

He's spoken since the episode aired and said that the show hasn't contacted him at all. So if there is a wildcard, he probably isn't it.

How many live shows are there before the finale?

I read Oliver Graves' reddit posts.  He seems like such a fine young man.  He's not bitter or angry, he seems grounded, and is pragmatic.  Hopefully he can get some gigs where he'll fit in and shine (or darken the room, since he's goth).  There has to be some talent agents out there who've noticed him!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I read Oliver Graves' reddit posts.  He seems like such a fine young man.  He's not bitter or angry, he seems grounded, and is pragmatic.  Hopefully he can get some gigs where he'll fit in and shine (or darken the room, since he's goth).  There has to be some talent agents out there who've noticed him!

Yeah he is just a young comedian working on his character and seems pretty positive about it. He could easily get gigs at places like the Comedy Store and continue to grow and refine. And now with the TV exposure it should be easier to jump into a spot. 

• Love 3