Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: It's All Greek to Me

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I forgot about that and I agree. I loved the way Ben sneaked up on him and provided a toy as a pillow. And I wondered the same thing about why Spurge did not get to sit at the table with the family. That was one thing that always happened in my family--sit at the table and eat dinner together.

Maybe she didn't want Spurge licking his plate on camera.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Outside of Bryn Mawr, I haven't met many people who know that Nike is not just an athletic apparel brand,

Well, I didn't go to Bryn Mawr and I know next to nothing about Greek gods, but I did know Nike was one.  I graduated from college with honors and consider myself fairly smart and cultured, and I don't think I could have named more than 2 or 3 Greek gods.  I studied them (I have an English degree), but I hated it and didn't bother to retain the information.  Not knowing them doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.  While I agree that the Duggars don't know about a lot of things because of their uber-sheltered lives, not knowing the names of Greek gods doesn't seem like terribly important information to retain, in my humble opinion.  I'm certainly no Duggar fan but, to be fair, those kids know an awful lot more about cars, home repairs, real estate, etc. than many of us who have college degrees.  It's still knowledge, it's just different.  Realistically, knowing how to repair is a car is much more practical than being able to list the Greek gods.  

I thought Jessa was lovely this episode.  She is beautiful and well-spoken, and I think she and Ben really do love one another and have more of an equal marriage than some of the other couples.  

Edited by Julia67
  • Love 18
10 hours ago, Lunera said:

That girls night scene was so awkward. Jana looked like she wanted out and Jessa was acting her little heart out with those fake giggles. Lauren is so dim and already ready to jump in to marriage after only a few FaceTime sessions with Josiah, I hate how she said the speed of the relationship depended on Josiah. 

I assumed Lauren meant it was up to Josiah since he would be the one proposing.  So technically, the length of the courtship was up to him since it would end once he popped the question.  I hope that’s what she meant anyway. 

6 hours ago, kokapetl said:

So Josiah drives a dinged up Mercedes? The space shuttles are in better condition.

OMG. Ben using cutlery!

Isn’t that the same busted Mercedes Joy drove to Austin’s?

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Triple P said:

Nike is the goddess of victory and an aspect of Athena - essentially Athena with wings. I tend to think of them as being one and the same, though that is not entirely correct.

Outside of Bryn Mawr, I haven't met many people who know that Nike is not just an athletic apparel brand, which is why I asked (not that this is a frequent topic of conversation). I should have had the wisdom to know that the Duggars know that Nike is a goddess, not just the name of their shoes. ?

I can assure you the Duggars know nothing of Nike, Athena, Aurora, Pan, Bacchus, Venus, Thor, Oshun, or anyone else in any other pantheon. I always thought the term “nike” was chose simply because it meant to look down, and that happened to be the last brand they’d found at the thrift store.  I’m sure if they new Nike was a Greek goddess, the safe word would have been Skechers or New Balance.  

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 16

I saw parts of this episode.  Mostly, about Joe and Kendra.  I like Kendra a lot, but, do hope that her giggly calms down a bit.  It's started to annoy me.  Just too much. I think she's light hearted, but, I also suspect that a lot of her giggles are nervous energy.  

Another thing that has dawned on me with Kendra is her....uniform.  It seems that she always wears the same shirt and skirt, only in different colors.  The skirt makes her legs to appear immobile, like they can barely move.  I wonder if she ever wears light, free flowing dresses with a different neckline and cut.  I can't help wonder why she's not bored with that same old look in her clothing. 

I laughed about the plate licking.  I know this sounds crazy, but, you would be surprised at the people who lick plates.  A friend of mine that was in our ladies social cliche, licked her plate occasionally.  It really upset the rest of us and we would chide her about it.  It didn't seem to matter though.  She insisted on doing it.  This was an educated, middle class, professional wife/mother in her 40's! I think she did it for attention.  Go figure. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I give Kendra a pass because she hasn’t had nearly the same opportunities to travel as Joe. Joe has traveled regularly since he was a child and still has no idea how to conduct himself in public. I would be mortified if I were Kendra.

Their 1st show aired in 2004 and he must have been 9.  They have had $ for quite sometime and would have been ok earlier had his dickhead father not financed his political campaign with his own $ (or kept shooting out blessings).  They have been food secure MOST of his life yet he still has no concept of manners.  At first I thought the plate licking had to do with not enough food but then I started doing math and realized nah, his family doesn't care about manners and he was basically taught how to be a person by his older sisters because in his life, they have had decent money more than they haven't.  I wonder if it made her feel a little icky.  She is 19 and has to teach her older husband how to behave in a public eating establishment.  

• Love 9
14 hours ago, zenme said:

DH and I were just talking about the drinking the milk from the cereal bowl yesterday! It's my pet peeve, I have to admit. We have breakfast in the classroom with our students and I tell them they can do it at home but not at school. It makes me wanna vomit. Plus the smell of the milk. Just...ugh!

I am not a milk person and have never drank the milk after cereal.  For me, the milk is there just to make sure the cereal doesn't cut my mouth.  Once it has held cereal it is warm and tastes funny to me.  My parents were fine with this but my grandparents used to make me drink it.  I stopped having cereal at their house.  I know I am weird (for this and many other things!).

*do not get me started on that new mayonnaise ice cream thing.  Cannot think of anything more gross.

• Love 14

One of my peeves is when adults are resistant to new foods.  I find it so bizarre when adults insist on eating the same thing they have eaten since childhood and anything off that that list, makes them turn up their nose or get frightened.  I just don't get it when grown people habitually order the burger and fries, when there are many other tantalizing options on the menu.  I don't have much patience for it. 

• Love 18

When I tried to drink milk after eating the cereal, I end up spilling the milk on my shirt. I can be a messy eater. *lol* I can see licking the plate in the privacy of your home, but not out in public. Of course, we are talking about the Duggars here.

Edited by bigskygirl
messy not missy *lol*

Just because they had food doesn't mean their stomachs were full though. If Jill's recipes are anything to go by, there is a natural disservice to our bodies when it's filled with nothing but sugar, carbs and salt. Fatigue, headaches, bloated, constantly thirsty for starters. So even though they may not have seemed traditionally hungry or starving, their bodies were starved of real nutrition---they just didn't know any better (the kids, the adult likely did). 

This episode showcased Ben in probably the best light he's ever been in. I thought it was very considerate to give Henry a pillow and to remove his bib (aka choking hazard when sleeping). My oldest wasn't a fall asleep in her highchair kinda kid, but my youngest was and it always made me laugh. She'd be chomping away and then bam...out. I thought that was cute.

I am alarmed by the fact that it was all about Jessa with little about Ben. Hopefully she gave him something extra that night because he really did go all out---even in non-fundie terms---and got what? Nothing. I wish Ben wasn't saddled with a selfish wife and 2 kids, he should be in college enjoying his life as a young adult but he's not. 

Why was Jana with Joy and Jessa getting their nails done if all they were gonna talk about was married life? Poor Jana...that had to be boring. She also seemed bored at the dinner though she probably enjoyed not having children at her feet so I can see why she'd want to go to that. Lauren has a brain-ish...she does seem more into Si then I originally thought, but I still think it's the idea of Si not necessarily Si. 

Kendra and Joe are cute---her giggling would kill me and the fact that he alluded to her giggling during sexy time was kinda funny. Kendra seems a little wiser than I originally gave her credit and maybe she'll whip some manners into Joe over time. Of all of the brothers I have the highest hopes for Joe and JD. 

The Jinger and Jeremy thing was cute, but a little boring. They seem to have their own language and I don't feel like it translates on screen well---it makes them look over it or snotty moreso than endearing but I still rank them among my favorite couples. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One of my peeves is when adults are resistant to new foods.  I find it so bizarre when adults insist on eating the same thing they have eaten since childhood and anything off that that list, makes them turn up their nose or get frightened.  I just don't get it when grown people habitually order the burger and fries, when there are many other tantalizing options on the menu.  I don't have much patience for it. 

I admit I cannot stand the sight and smell of seafood or wild game meat. My husband has tricked me by putting deer hamburger and regular hamburger together and telling me I ate it a few days later. I will eat wild turkey meat, but this is far as I will go.

1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

Well, I didn't go to Bryn Mawr and I know next to nothing about Greek gods, but I did know Nike was one.  I graduated from college with honors and consider myself fairly smart and cultured, and I don't think I could have named more than 2 or 3 Greek gods.  I studied them (I have an English degree), but I hated it and didn't bother to retain the information.  Not knowing them doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.  While I agree that the Duggars don't know about a lot of things because of their uber-sheltered lives, not knowing the names of Greek gods doesn't seem like terribly important information to retain, in my humble opinion.  I'm certainly no Duggar fan but, to be fair, those kids know an awful lot more about cars, home repairs, real estate, etc. than many of us who have college degrees.  It's still knowledge, it's just different.  Realistically, knowing how to repair is a car is much more practical than being able to list the Greek gods.   

My post was conscending and I apologize for that. I have edited it. I don't think that a person has to go to Bryn Mawr, or any college, to be knowledgeable of Greek mythology or that learning it is a requirement of a good education or indication of intelligence.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Vaysh said:

Same with me in regards to education; at the Duggarling's age I don't think I had ever studied the Greek pantheon "officially" apart from a couple of weeks in junior high. It's just that the Greek (and Roman and Norse) gods tend to pop up all over the place in literature, pop culture, art etc. I probably learned more about the Greek gods while watching Xena: Warrior Princess than I did in school. And that's the problem with the Duggars; not only did they receive a subpar education designed to keep them ignorant about any religion other than their own, they've also been barred from all other venues where you can learn. No TV or movies, no comic books, no art museums, no video games, no non-Gothard-approved literature, no nothing. So much of what people in general know hasn't been taught to us, it's just stuff we picked up by being immersed in pop culture all our lives, and the Duggars never had access to culture of any kind.

My education sucked.  I went to a school where my 5th grade teacher was dating a 15 year old high school student (brought her to a class party), my high school principle was dating his son's girlfriend (was caught making out in a closet at the prom), two teachers were dating each other so yes, I learned a lot from tv/books/movies/osmosis.  One can rise above a shitty lower education.  My second home was the library.  Again, they have no will to learn and are not curious about the world around them.  Their parents have hobbled them yet they are A-OK with it.

• Love 6

There is a lot about greek gods and culture in the new testament. You would think that the would-be ministers would have annotated copies of the new testament that would explain this character or that one is named a greek deity. Apparently none of them mentioned Artemis despite there's a chapter in Acts of the Apostles that talks about her specifically.  

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Temperance said:

There is a lot about greek gods and culture in the new testament. You would think that the would-be ministers would have annotated copies of the new testament that would explain this character or that one is named a greek deity. Apparently none of them mentioned Artemis despite there's a chapter in Acts of the Apostles that talks about her specifically.  

My 6th grade  teacher was a big fan of mythology. She would tell the stories in such an animated way that brought them to life. That year, I learned more about the gods and godesses then I ever did. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My 6th grade  teacher was a big fan of mythology. She would tell the stories in such an animated way that brought them to life. That year, I learned more about the gods and godesses then I ever did. 

Mythology was one of my electives in high school.  It was one of my favorite classes.  Plus I of course saw Clash of the Titans (the original)!  And who can forget Xanadu!

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Mythology was one of my electives in high school.  It was one of my favorite classes.  Plus I of course saw Clash of the Titans (the original)!  And who can forget Xanadu!

I loved Clash of the Titans! And the original, not the remake.

I went to Catholic school and they did teach us mythology. 

• Love 6

Re: Duggar food issues, masturbation might go a long way in shoring up food security with this family. Sure, I'm sure some of them do anyway, but the Christian guilt ideal that every orgasm has to be justified by procreative purposes and conceiving a child is very stressful and unfair to the kiddos they already have. Maybe not conceiving a baby every 11 months because your man was horny and condoms are the devil's goalkeepers will help you actually get to know and raise your kids instead of treating them like a sports team line up. What better way to get your wife in the mood than the knowledge that every thrust means less sleep and independence for her and less money and attention for her existing kids. Can you imagine being turned into a revolving door human hotel for 25+ years because your husband wants to cum with Jesus' approval? 9 months for 30 seconds is a raw deal for the wives (no pun intended).

• Love 23
4 hours ago, Triple P said:

Nike is the goddess of victory and an aspect of Athena - essentially Athena with wings. I tend to think of them as being one and the same, though that is not entirely correct.

Since Nike is perhaps not as well known as Zeus, Athena, Poseidon, etc., I should have had the wisdom to know that the Duggars would not know that Nike is a goddess, not just the name of their shoes. ?

Nike is an unofficial mascot of Bryn Mawr. When I see posts that mention the goddess, not the shoe company, I wonder if the poster is an alum.

Ah gotcha! 

I thought the Duggars would mention Nike as it was their code word for so long but there I go not having the wisdom as you said above. 

For all the family togetherness, this family doesn't miss a beat when one of their members is banished by TLC. I guess they need the money that bad. First Josh and now Jill. Josh deserved what he got, but Jill's (stupid) husband was stating things that all the Duggars agree with as fundie Christians, and they still let them be fired and replaced with other family members without missing a beat. Other than Jim Bob's cell towers, this show must be their main source of income. I bet Jessa loves being Queen Bee too. Too bad for her that most people prefer Jinger and Joy.

Sure, I'm sure some of them do anyway, but the Christian guilt ideal that every orgasm has to be justified by procreative purposes and conceiving a child is very stressful and unfair to the kiddos they already have. Maybe not conceiving a baby every 11 months because your man was horny and condoms are the devil's goalkeepers will help you actually get to know and raise your kids instead of treating them like a sports team line up. What better way to get your wife in the mood than the knowledge that every thrust means less sleep and independence for her and less money and attention for her existing kids. Can you imagine being turned into a revolving door human hotel for 25+ years because your husband wants to cum with Jesus' approval? 9 months for 30 seconds is a raw deal for the wives (no pun intended).

Both Anna and Kendra seemed desperate to be pregnant as soon as possible, and Anna seemed desperate to be pregnant as much as possible. I'm not sure its all the man's doing. These girls seem to find their all self worth in being married and knocked up.

Edited by Kellyee
  • Love 14
59 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I loved Clash of the Titans! And the original, not the remake.

I went to Catholic school and they did teach us mythology. 

The original was so over the top how could ya not love it!  I loved the Medusa scene.  HA!

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

For all the family togetherness, this family doesn't miss a beat when one of their members is banished by TLC. I guess they need the money that bad. First Josh and now Jill. Josh deserved what he got, but Jill's (stupid) husband was stating things that all the Duggars agree with as fundie Christians, and they still let them be fired and replaced with other family members without missing a beat. Other than Jim Bob's cell towers, this show must be their main source of income. I bet Jessa loves being Queen Bee too. Too bad for her that most people prefer Jinger and Joy.

Both Anna and Kendra seemed desperate to be pregnant as soon as possible, and Anna seemed desperate to be pregnant as much as possible. I'm not sure its all the man's doing. These girls seem to find their all self worth in being married and knocked up.

So true.  It's as if they can't relate to being a doctor, accountant, engineer, etc., but, they can manage to produce children.  They have seen that done by their mothers, sisters, aunts, friends, etc. and they feel confident they can accomplish this mission just fine, without all that pesky reading, paperwork, classroom attendance, etc. 

And, I get the impression that they equate the oooous and ahhhs when someone says they have 18 siblings as a POSITIVE thing.  As if it's a great accomplishment.  They don't realize that many people say OMG, but, they are thinking to themselves how pitiful it is for the kids that their parents haven't given it more thought.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

My 2 year old twins just finished lunch. One picked up her plate and started licking it. Her sister looked at her and said "Ewwww!! Gross!" Twin #1 quickly put her plate down. And I told her it was indeed gross and unacceptable. It's pathetic that 2 year olds know it's wrong, but allegedly grown adults don't. And my twins don't lick the counters either. 

• Love 16

I actually could watch the first episode ( Jinger/Jeremy Ben/Jessa, and Joe/Kendra). I turned it off at the wedding  ( i tried to watch, it was just so freaking boring, I've seen this wedding 189 times before just with different grooms and brides) Lauren sounded like she was reading during a church service, not her own wedding. I agree she has an agenda and honestly EVERY adult male active in this quiverfull cult is a straight creep so...yeah. Her dads a creep, Boobs a creep, no healthy sane adult chooses something like quiverfull. Those who grew up in the cult are brainwashed so its harder to break away but the nut jobs who actively seek this cult out are gross wackos.

I think Joe licking the plate shows what a complete shit show their childhood was. Not many of us can imagine the straight chaos that growing up with 19 kids would be IN ADDITION to having completely self absorbed, fundie cult obsessed, narcissistic parents. So poor Joe gets a little bit of a pass on me on that front. I very much doubt anyone taught him better growing up and this is how you learn. I think him and Kendra will be happy for now. I like her even though her laugh is a bit much

In regards to Ben and the Greek Gods- I am sure he is well aware that these questions from producers have been used to show how ignorant and sheltered the kids are so good on him for trying to show he is educated. I would do the same. I am hopeful for Ben and Jessa especially with her look like "hell no we are not having another kid so soon!" At least that is how I saw it.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Their 1st show aired in 2004 and he must have been 9.  They have had $ for quite sometime and would have been ok earlier had his dickhead father not financed his political campaign with his own $ (or kept shooting out blessings).  They have been food secure MOST of his life yet he still has no concept of manners.  At first I thought the plate licking had to do with not enough food but then I started doing math and realized nah, his family doesn't care about manners and he was basically taught how to be a person by his older sisters because in his life, they have had decent money more than they haven't.  I wonder if it made her feel a little icky.  She is 19 and has to teach her older husband how to behave in a public eating establishment.  

Yep, this. I don't think the plate-licking thing is about food security at all. It might have started that way with the oldest kids, but like you said, Joe's young enough where it's 100% a lack of manners. I can so see that lot doing it as as regular thing for laughs.

And not to defend Jessa on this because I don't feel strongly about it at all, but I got the impression that Joe was joking about Jessa being the one to teach him that. We know that Jessa is really the only one concerned about public perception--remember that incident with Josie touching something and Jessa making it a point to correct her. Joe said Jessa kind of laughingly, as if he knew that would piss her off because she's probably bitched to the whole family about being disgusting on camera (she's probably still smarting over the diaper incident).

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I assumed Lauren meant it was up to Josiah since he would be the one proposing.  So technically, the length of the courtship was up to him since it would end once he popped the question.  I hope that’s what she meant anyway. 

It reminded me of Joy, when she was asked where her relationship with Austin was going, she said it depended on what her dad wanted.

• Love 12

With the glaring exception of Dreck...the spouses have been very good about helping their neglected Dugg learn that in families where the parents gave 2 fucks about their kids that you practice table manners, you don't eat like someone is going to grab food off your plate, you take breaths between bites.

As much as they go to church retreats, church activities you would have thought that the Duggs' appalling lack of social graces and manners would have been exposed or filmed much earlier....

• Love 4

I also couldn't believe how Joe inhaled all the food while Kendra talked with her neighbor.  Its one thing being hungry but he litetally inhaled everything  that was put in front of him. Does he do that at home or was he just overly hungry this time? Slow down Joe & enjoy your food. Plus it's better for digestion.

I also liked when Kendra's neighbor kept asking her about her job.  All that Kendra could muster up was that she helped out while living at home before the marriage & that she might be helping Joe at the car lot. How sad. I would have loved the other lady to say that she is a fancy kind of chemist, had a part time job while working on her doctorate & taking care of her family. That would have blown Kendra's mind. 

• Love 22
55 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I also couldn't believe how Joe inhaled all the food while Kendra talked with her neighbor.  Its one thing being hungry but he litetally inhaled everything  that was put in front of him. Does he do that at home or was he just overly hungry this time? Slow down Joe & enjoy your food. Plus it's better for digestion.

I also liked when Kendra's neighbor kept asking her about her job.  All that Kendra could muster up was that she helped out while living at home before the marriage & that she might be helping Joe at the car lot. How sad. I would have loved the other lady to say that she is a fancy kind of chemist, had a part time job while working on her doctorate & taking care of her family. That would have blown Kendra's mind. 

I can see Joe eating his food quickly as something he subconsciously learned as a child.  There was probably not enough food at the table on most nights for the whole family.  I can see JB and Michelle having a rule that you could not go for seconds until you finished your plate.   If he hesitated,  all the food would be gone and Joe would leave the table still hungry.  

Hopefully Kendra can help him learn to slow down and enjoy his food.

• Love 15

If they actually had as much of this home baked bread with their dinners as they reminisce about, they could use that  to wipe the plate clean of whatever yummy (?) residue was on it and even have a few more bites of food into the bargain. And no breach of etiquette!

• Love 17
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suspect a lot of people lick cake frosting.  Many do it in public too Lulu!  lol  

I just have to say that I feel nauseated every time I see someone lick their fingers while eating.  It just revolts me!  Even (especially) my own husband. I will tell him to go wash his hands!

Except for my own daughter, when she was a toddler, I have never seen anyone lick their plate!  Gross!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Yes Joe probably eats that quickly for the same reason Jill used to take her plate and eat in the bathroom. 

It's also a product of ALERT---my husband became a human garbage disposal after Army basic training because you are literally taught that you have 15 minutes to eat and you eat or starve. I can see ALERT having the same boot camp mentality---eat or starve and he learned to vacuum food down.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Just because they had food doesn't mean their stomachs were full though. If Jill's recipes are anything to go by, there is a natural disservice to our bodies when it's filled with nothing but sugar, carbs and salt. Fatigue, headaches, bloated, constantly thirsty for starters. So even though they may not have seemed traditionally hungry or starving, their bodies were starved of real nutrition---they just didn't know any better (the kids, the adult likely did). 

I grew up eating like the duggars, probably worse. And sadly, the adults didn’t know what they were doing to us, as they didn’t know what actual food was, either,  and were too focused on their own mental illness that cooking was beyond their capabilities anyway. When I went off to college and began eating regular food, I ballooned 20 pounds,  and had severe G.I. issues for a couple years because I wasn’t used to digesting food!   And had severe tooth decay that stopped once I actually had nutrients going into my body! 

All that to say, I really feel for what has been done to these kidults, and the food issues they must have. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, lulu69 said:

(Reluctantly raising hand) I have a dirty little secret. Sometimes, particularly after a soul crushing day, I'll have cake for dinner and I just may lick my plate clean. I would never do it in front of loved ones and I certainly would never do it in a restaurant. But at my own private pity party for one, all bets are off.

I've done the same with ice cream bowls.  Only by myself, at home.

• Love 12

I can't quit you fab snarkers on this forum, but I have to be in the right mood to even tolerate watching this show, and wasn't in it Monday night. I appreciate everyone who took one for the team and reported in!

Is TLC still filling the commercial breaks with promos for its other shows, or have actual paying sponsors been creeping back under the tent?

Ratings are in for this episode: 1.1 million viewers. a .27 share. Looks like it's holding its own; IIRC ratings have hung in just a bit over/under a million for awhile now. This episode had twice as big a share of age 50+ viewers than of viewers aged 19-54. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Just a quirk of mine I guess. I always hated seeing my brother doing it growing up.

It bothers me too, makes me kind of nauseated when I see it, Its my thing though, my problem.

That women at the restaurant Joe and Kendra, you could see the exact moment when she realize she was in the middlem of a freak show.

I took a Greek Islands cruise. Mykonos, Corfu, Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia and Athens. Athens is beautiful  but Santorini is otherworldly beautiful.  Mainland Greece is actally very reasonably priced, the islands, not so much.

Oh and my   Husband said Its all Greek to Me at least 10 times.  That was the same trip where, in Rome he repeatedly said, When In Rome.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 13

I have watched the Duggars since their first special. In recent years I have recorded it and watched it later. On Monday, my husband was out of town, the kids were asleep, and I was ready to watch my guilty pleasure “live.” 

I am here to report surely this show is on its way out. I could not stand to watch it live! I am used to fast forwarding through the boring parts. It was painfully slow watching in real time. I lost interest after Josiah asked Lauren to court, but kept it on through part of the Greece trip, and then I turned the tv off. It was so boring!!! I checked here and two other Duggar snark sites, and none were particularly active. Contrast that with on this site, my 600 Pound Life has a thread for live chatting during the episode AND an episode thread after it airs, each with twice the amount of pages this thread has and the show aired two days ago.

• Love 7
On 7/30/2018 at 9:03 PM, scenicbyway said:

I wonder if he has a learning disability?

Or he could just have really shitty manners.  

On 7/30/2018 at 11:29 PM, flyingdi said:

My friend took one look at Lauren and said, "Now there's a girl with an agenda.  

?? This just made my day ??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JennyMominFL said:

It bothers me too, makes me kind of nauseated when I see it, Its my thing though, my problem.

That women at the restaurant Joe and Kendra, you could see the exact moment when she realize she was in the middlem of a freak show.

I took a Greek Islands cruise. Mykonos, Corfu, Crete, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia and Athens. Athens is beautiful  but Santorini is otherworldly beautiful.  Mainland Greece is actally very reasonably priced, the islands, not so much.

Oh and my   Husband said Its all Greek to Me at least 10 times.  That was the same trip where, in Rome he repeatedly said, When In Rome.

Ha, I’m sure that was endearing!!  ?

sounds like a fabulous cruise!  One day...

54 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I have watched the Duggars since their first special. In recent years I have recorded it and watched it later. On Monday, my husband was out of town, the kids were asleep, and I was ready to watch my guilty pleasure “live.” 

I am here to report surely this show is on its way out. I could not stand to watch it live! I am used to fast forwarding through the boring parts. It was painfully slow watching in real time. I lost interest after Josiah asked Lauren to court, but kept it on through part of the Greece trip, and then I turned the tv off. It was so boring!!! I checked here and two other Duggar snark sites, and none were particularly active. Contrast that with on this site, my 600 Pound Life has a thread for live chatting during the episode AND an episode thread after it airs, each with twice the amount of pages this thread has and the show aired two days ago.

When My 600# life is more active than this show, that really says something!  (Exactly what, I’m not sure!). 

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I can't quit you fab snarkers on this forum, but I have to be in the right mood to even tolerate watching this show, and wasn't in it Monday night. I appreciate everyone who took one for the team and reported in!

Is TLC still filling the commercial breaks with promos for its other shows, or have actual paying sponsors been creeping back under the tent?

Ratings are in for this episode: 1.1 million viewers. a .27 share. Looks like it's holding its own; IIRC ratings have hung in just a bit over/under a million for awhile now. This episode had twice as big a share of age 50+ viewers than of viewers aged 19-54. 

I’m also curious about sponsors. Who has the gall or stupidity to advertise during this show?  

• Love 7

I finally watched this mess and spent the first five minutes fast-forwarding through the wedding. As far as the new material:

Lauren's into healthy eating?! Poor thing is gonna have to bring her own meals for holidays. Her stomach won't be able to tolerate the Duggars' slop casseroles.

I agree Kendra's giggling is grating, but at least she's a fun, pleasant person with a good attitude. 

I'm gonna give the Duggars a pass on the Greek mythology. I remember learning about it in school, but couldn't tell you one name beyond Zeus or Hercules. Bin rattling a bunch off was pretty impressive.

Poor Jana having to sit mutely at the table while everyone discussed relationships. 

I thought all the couples came off well in their TH's. The producers clearly told them to step up their game.

• Love 6

My mom inhales her food.  We go out to eat & she can be completely done eating while the rest of us have barely had a couple of bites.  I don't know why, but she considers eating as something you just get done.  She's not one to linger over something delicious & savor it.  She might say "that was good" but I've never really seen enjoyment or appreciation of good food from her.   My husband on the other hand, eats so damn slow that I learned early on to bring a book when we go out to eat.  He can make me feel like I'm eating like my mom because I'm half way done with my meal & he's still doctoring up his baked potato to his liking.  Going out to eat with mom & hubby together is always an adventure.  She spends her time watching everyone else eat & then we all get to sit around & watch hubby eat.  I just chalk it up to the quirks of people.  But I do bet Joe eats that way due to his upbringing.  Teenaged boys eat a LOT & I imagine in the Duggar house it's a race to see who can get a 2nd helping of whatever cream of crap is on tap that night. 

For once I didn't find Jessa totally annoying.  She seemed to honestly appreciate the effort Ben went thru to make it special for her.  He probably grew up where he could get times where it was all about him as a child, Jessa didn't.  I don't fault him for letting her feel special & that it's all about her for a few hours.  I wouldn't be surprised if she learns over time and starts to return the favor by making him the center of the universe for a few hours or his birthday.  She's surprised me so far as a mother, so I'm willing to give her time to surprise me being a wife.   Not for any religious reasons, but hubby & I met for the 1st time & got married/knocked up in 10 months.  It took me several years before I figured out what gifts he really wanted & appreciated.  I'll cut Jessa some slack for a couple more years before going in on her. 

• Love 13

Jessa may have done something for Ben that was on a different day or not filmed.  Maybe she sent Ben out with friends who weren’t interested in being on TV. 

I didn’t get the impression that Joe ever actually licked his plate in public after a certain age- just that he was teasing Kendra about it. Who knows, it may  be a private family joke about Josie. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

And you kept him? (just kidding!)

• Love 6