Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: It's All Greek to Me

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Just saw a clip that showed the outside, and inside the front door,  of the Swanson house. It looked like quite the house! The steps out front would not be for me, though. Did they show more of it during the show?

That lawn care biz must be doing quite well, eh?

• Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Kendrab, stop Joe from ever doing that again in front of the camera.

Or anyone else. Oh my sweet juicy jeebus.  That is just so gross.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 6

Si's courtship prom-posal was not up to snuff.  Have you seen how the Bates' girls get asked (a bit overdone, but it is fundie land)?

Kendra & Joe - I had second hand embarrassment for them for most of their honeymoon.  They are both so sheltered.  It's like watching 2 thirteen year olds navigate their first relationship, except they are older, soon to be parents, and on TV!  Joe really had no clue that you shouldn't lick your plate.  How do you not know that?  Kendra has her work cut out for her.

• Love 11

Kendrab seems to have the patience to let Joe know that licking plates and other lapses in table manners is just too hillbilly and not going to happen again on her watch.

She had a normal conversation with her sky dinner guest that I don't think any Dugg girl could muster....meanwhile Joe shovels food in his pie hole instead of joining in the conversation.

They didn't book any of their travel plans because they would have known pressing the Union Jack symbol on the screen meant translation into English.

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I am still reeling over an actual adult licking their plate clean.  It is disturbing my brain.

It has been known to happen at our home. Done by adults. BUT we all understand one NEVER does something like that in public, or when TV-bound cameras are on.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

But they do and did have the opportunity to learn.  They just don't have the will or curiosity.  They also have the tools and money to get whatever knowledge they wish to possess but they don't do it.  These Duggar kids have been places I never have and managed to learn not one thing.

Exactly. They've traveled all over the world, they've been exposed to many more types of people than most people in their circle, and yet they are actually more closed off and insular than the likes of Kendra. They're in their late teens to late-20s....if they haven't gotten curious about the world around them yet, it's unlikely to happen. And yes, there are all sorts of reasons for that, but we are all the product of our environments and upbringings, we have to stop excusing them for things based on that at some point. It's not just that they're ignorant, it's that they see nothing wrong with their ignorance, and worse, they think their ignorance is, at worst, a charming affectation. So I'm all for shaming them. It's not like patience and understanding in the form of a nationally syndicated tv show that gets them fawned over even by the most liberal media outlets has done anything to improve them. 

• Love 23
1 minute ago, lascuba said:

Exactly. They've traveled all over the world, they've been exposed to many more types of people than most people in their circle, and yet they are actually more closed off and insular than the likes of Kendra. They're in their late teens to late-20s....if they haven't gotten curious about the world around them yet, it's unlikely to happen. And yes, there are all sorts of reasons for that, but we are all the product of our environments and upbringings, we have to stop excusing them for things based on that at some point. It's not just that they're ignorant, it's that they see nothing wrong with their ignorance, and worse, they think their ignorance is, at worst, a charming affectation. So I'm all for shaming them. It's not like patience and understanding in the form of a nationally syndicated tv show that gets them fawned over even by the most liberal media outlets has done anything to improve them. 

Sing it!  One thing I love about my job is I get to meet people from all over the world and learn about their various cultures through their events and celebrations.  It has made me a better person.  These people really don't deserve all they have been given.  They certainly aren't good people who use their blessed life to help people.  I am sure the nice people of Central America could have used more than a Dum Dum lollypop or a 1" slice of banana bread.  Although they did get to watch Dickweed dance.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

So sad I know this... but does anyone else remember when on a trip Jimblob answered si when he was spoken to in a foreign language clearly not Spanish just like Joe did in the Greece episode?

Please don't edit Joe as JimBlob 2.0.

I don't want to hate Joe.

I did not think of that moment when Joe answered in Spanish. I thought he laughed at himself for doing it. Also, I recognized that tendency. I used to be fluent in French and I have also studied a tiny bit of Spanish and some German. I used to have to go to Switzerland for work and  and the first place my brain would go when someone spoke to me in German was to French. I got used to it eventually but initially it was like my brain categorized all non-native languages in the same drawer and went to the one in which I was most fluent first. I thought something like that was what happened to Joe. 

When Boob did it, it was because he is an idiot. Much like when he thought that adding "O" to the end of words and speaking more loudly would work as Spanish when they were in Central America ("back-o up-o the car" or whatever the stupid thing was he said).

• Love 20
14 hours ago, louannems said:

Joe looked so uptight in Greece.  Several times, he reminded me of JB.

I thought it was strange that Jessa taught Joe how to lick his plate clean. Food insecurities growing up?

It seems Jessa and Ben are not preventing.  They both agreed they could have another baby by their 4th anniversary. I was hoping they'd decided to quit after 2.  Dream on.

This was filmed a long time ago. Their fourth anniversary is 3 months away. Based on social media pictures and that US weekly article, we would know if they were expecting a blessing in less than 3 months. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, skippy said:

Did you catch that when Joe told Kendra, "Other people in my family do it", she replied, "Yes, I'm sure they do."  There may be hope for Kendra.

I don’t necessarily think Kendra meant it as a, “Hey you so hillbilly,” dig but a, “I recognize that you grew up dirt poor and I don’t want that life for my kids so shape up.”  All the married kidults seem to have very deep-seeded food issues.

• Love 20
(edited)

As for Kendra and Joe, that looked like one very expensive Greek honeymoon.  Their Dinner in the Sky outing..... I'd heard of it and it costs about $157/per person.  https://dinnerinthesky.gr/en/#top

Toss up as to who paid for Greece- TLC or JB/Michele (they're rich, they can certainly afford it).

Edited by Pasha Kitty
8 hours ago, flyingdi said:

More funnies from last night:

Ben mangling the name Odysseus though props to Ben for knowing there was an Odysseus.

Lauren -"I'm so thankful to y'all for being so nice to us since we moved up here! "

Jessa-"We know why you moved here!   There's someone you like a little more than the rest! "

Joy-"Yeah, me! ". Joy seemed more relaxed than she has in years, I liked it!

I thought Kendra was bringing the sly snark a few times, but eventually convinced myself she doesn't have it in her. One time she made some comment like "Yeah, I've had a lot of firsts lately." And another time she made some other slightly 'risque' remark (that I now can't remember) that made me and my dirty mind laugh, but there was no reaction from others around her so I moved on. LOL

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

WOW.  My guess is they only knew Hercules because it was a Disney movie.  I find it shameful that anyone claiming to be a graduate of high school or has taken the GED to not be able to name a handful of the most common Greek Gods.  

They don’t even know the mythology they do follow that well.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

You know that is a tacky Jimblob move... licking the plate...

And I thought drinking the milk out of a cereal bowl was gross.

• Love 4
(edited)

sorry I'm late to the party... been OD-ing on another TLC show's board... Isn't this a new Season - 1st episode ? the link says Season 7.

Is JB & M off punishment now? they had more speaking and visual parts in this episode ?

Maybe I need to watch again, but I liked the wedding and the vows... like that the mob of attendants were off center stage. 

Poor Kendra..now has to rely on Joe to show her the finer things of life .... international travel.. subway...spinach pie.. meat (butcher) shop

Damn, the girl can giggle..its cartoonish...

Edited by sATL
(edited)
3 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

Si's courtship prom-posal was not up to snuff.  Have you seen how the Bates' girls get asked (a bit overdone, but it is fundie land)?

Kendra & Joe - I had second hand embarrassment for them for most of their honeymoon.  They are both so sheltered.  It's like watching 2 thirteen year olds navigate their first relationship, except they are older, soon to be parents, and on TV!  Joe really had no clue that you shouldn't lick your plate.  How do you not know that?  Kendra has her work cut out for her.

I give Kendra a pass because she hasn’t had nearly the same opportunities to travel as Joe. Joe has traveled regularly since he was a child and still has no idea how to conduct himself in public. I would be mortified if I were Kendra.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

For a second when Ben mentioned they could have 3 kids in 4 years,  Jessa looked very young and scared to me.  She covered it up quickly though.

How is Bin planning on supporting all these kids? Queen Jessa is certainly not going to work.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Isn't this a new Season - 1st episode ? the link says Season 7.

You would think! But no, this is how it was labeled by TLC. They are the worst. They've changed the season and episode numbering at least twice on me, and I have had to go back re-number each time. If they do it again, I may not care enough to fix it. 

• Love 7

I think Jessa is scared to have another baby. Hell, I would be, too, considering what she went through with Spurge and seeing that it’s not so easy to take care of two so close in age, let alone three.  

I am wondering if JoKen actually WENT to the Acropolis or if they admired it from afar?  After all, that’s where the heathen polytheistic Greeks hung out, so was it off limits to the true God-fearers?  Would they be banned from eternal grace for going to such a place?  They seemed to be all about the scenery and not so much about the history and culture.  Not surprised. 

I have to admit, Henry falling asleep in the high chair was adorable. And I remembered fondly doing the same “jump back and freeze” maneuver Bin pulled with my own kids, fearing they would wake up. 

Why was Spurge sent to the living room during dinner?  Did he eat earlier or was he eating in the living room?  And I would love to know which cartoon he was watching. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And I thought drinking the milk out of a cereal bowl was gross.

Stupid question. Why is that gross? I do it instead of taking the milk out by the spoonful. That takes forever. Yes, I like a little cereal with my milk, why do you ask? Would I do it in public? No. Would I do it on TV? No. And do I lick plates? Also no. That is gross. 

• Love 17
25 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Stupid question. Why is that gross? I do it instead of taking the milk out by the spoonful. That takes forever. Yes, I like a little cereal with my milk, why do you ask? Would I do it in public? No. Would I do it on TV? No. And do I lick plates? Also no. That is gross. 

Just a quirk of mine I guess. I always hated seeing my brother doing it growing up.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

DH and I were just talking about the drinking the milk from the cereal bowl yesterday! It's my pet peeve, I have to admit. We have breakfast in the classroom with our students and I tell them they can do it at home but not at school. It makes me wanna vomit. Plus the smell of the milk. Just...ugh!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Maya said:

I’m sorry but Lauren’s dad was the creepiest thing I’ve seen on my TV in a long time. Her mom seems off too. 

Her dad was creepy to me too and I couldn't help but think her mom seemed a bit dim. 

6 hours ago, skippy said:

Did you catch that when Joe told Kendra, "Other people in my family do it", she replied, "Yes, I'm sure they do."  There may be hope for Kendra.

5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

You know that is a tacky Jimblob move... licking the plate...

And apparently Joe learned it from Jessa! She's probably all kinds of pissed today after Joe's little tidbit made the show. 

I have to admit, all the couples seemed pretty well matched and like they really enjoy each other. Unlike Jill and Derick. I'm going to give them a slight pass on the Greek gods. Honestly, I would have been able to list Zeus and that's about it on the spot. I'm 41 and I know we covered a tiny bit of Greek mythology when I was in like 8th or 9th grade, but that was pretty much it and I honestly had no interest in mythology to learn or retain any of it. It just wasn't my thing. Granted NOTHING seems to be the Duggar's thing, but that's another subject. 

Did the talking head interviews seem deliciously snarky to anyone else? It's like they took the gloves off and are just going all out with making them look down right stupid. 

• Love 8

So the feral Duggar children were taught that it is okay to lick your plate clean by MOTY and Jim Blob.  And just think, they have been licking paper plates clean all these years!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

I have to admit, Henry falling asleep in the high chair was adorable. And I remembered fondly doing the same “jump back and freeze” maneuver Bin pulled with my own kids, fearing they would wake up. 

Why was Spurge sent to the living room during dinner?  Did he eat earlier or was he eating in the living room?  And I would love to know which cartoon he was watching. 

I forgot about that and I agree. I loved the way Ben sneaked up on him and provided a toy as a pillow. And I wondered the same thing about why Spurge did not get to sit at the table with the family. That was one thing that always happened in my family--sit at the table and eat dinner together.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I think Jessa is scared to have another baby. Hell, I would be, too, considering what she went through with Spurge and seeing that it’s not so easy to take care of two so close in age, let alone three.  

I am wondering if JoKen actually WENT to the Acropolis or if they admired it from afar?  After all, that’s where the heathen polytheistic Greeks hung out, so was it off limits to the true God-fearers?  Would they be banned from eternal grace for going to such a place?  They seemed to be all about the scenery and not so much about the history and culture.  Not surprised. 

I think Spurgeon was sent to watch a cartoon because it was a special anniversary dinner but Henry apparently has fits if Jessa is too far away.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saylubee said:

I don’t necessarily think Kendra meant it as a, “Hey you so hillbilly,” dig but a, “I recognize that you grew up dirt poor and I don’t want that life for my kids so shape up.”  All the married kidults seem to have very deep-seeded food issues.

Well, wasn't Joe's family practically going hungry and depending on "Love Offerings" by the time he came along.  I guess I would have been licking plates too if my parents continued breeding in spite of the fact that they could not afford to feed a slew of children.  Not to mention that they all lived in a one bathroom house (which must be a special kind of misery).  It sucks for my family of three right now....I cannot imagine what having to wait all the time does to children...

• Love 5

That girls night scene was so awkward. Jana looked like she wanted out and Jessa was acting her little heart out with those fake giggles. Lauren is so dim and already ready to jump in to marriage after only a few FaceTime sessions with Josiah, I hate how she said the speed of the relationship depended on Josiah. 

• Love 4

Joe doesn't know what exfoliating is? Uhhhhh...that isn't some far off vocab word. 

And the plate licking? And the fact that every single ounce of food served to him and Kendra was eaten in seconds---yeah, he has eating issues. Too bad he doesn't believe in therapy. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was actually surprised that when they were asked to name a Greek God, no one said “Nike”!

Did you go to Bryn Mawr College?

When I first learned about the Duggars and Nike, I thought they were referring to Athena. I wondered why they chose the goddess of wisdom as the code word for immodest women. I don't know why I gave them so much credit.

Edited by Triple P
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

They got business class!

Greek Crane Diner : ”Your dad, he’s still at home or he run away?” ? 

Yeah. She got that wrong. Should have been "mom run away."

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Triple P said:

Did you go to Bryn Mawr College?

When I first learned about the Duggars and Nike, I thought they were referring to Athena. I wondered why they chose the goddess of wisdom as the code word for immodest women. I don't know why I gave them so much credit.

No I didn’t- why do you ask?

Isnt Nike the goddess of victory? (Hence why she’s a the name of a sports apparel company)

I figured the Duggars would know about Nike  and Hades as “hades” was always a polite way of saying “h e double hockey sticks”. Lol. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm 41 and I know we covered a tiny bit of Greek mythology when I was in like 8th or 9th grade, but that was pretty much it and I honestly had no interest in mythology to learn or retain any of it. It just wasn't my thing.

Same with me in regards to education; at the Duggarling's age I don't think I had ever studied the Greek pantheon "officially" apart from a couple of weeks in junior high. It's just that the Greek (and Roman and Norse) gods tend to pop up all over the place in literature, pop culture, art etc. I probably learned more about the Greek gods while watching Xena: Warrior Princess than I did in school. And that's the problem with the Duggars; not only did they receive a subpar education designed to keep them ignorant about any religion other than their own, they've also been barred from all other venues where you can learn. No TV or movies, no comic books, no art museums, no video games, no non-Gothard-approved literature, no nothing. So much of what people in general know hasn't been taught to us, it's just stuff we picked up by being immersed in pop culture all our lives, and the Duggars never had access to culture of any kind.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No I didn’t- why do you ask?

Isnt Nike the goddess of victory? (Hence why she’s a the name of a sports apparel company)

I figured the Duggars would know about Nike  and Hades as “hades” was always a polite way of saying “h e double hockey sticks”. Lol. 

Nike is the goddess of victory and an aspect of Athena - essentially Athena with wings. I tend to think of them as being one and the same, though that is not entirely correct.

Since Nike is perhaps not as well known as Zeus, Athena, Poseidon, etc., I should have had the wisdom to know that the Duggars would not know that Nike is a goddess, not just the name of their shoes. ?

Nike is an unofficial mascot of Bryn Mawr. When I see posts that mention the goddess, not the shoe company, I wonder if the poster is an alum.

Edited by Triple P
Remove foot-in-mouth condescending language.
  • Love 2