Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Huh? “Make” has always been a verb.

No, I mean how they are over using it on the show.

yeah-- make usually has an object. I'm going to "make dinner." "make a halloween costume." "make love." 🙂

Not "I'm going to go make."

• Love 4

Have to echo that the Etsy lady bugs.

I don't dislike Egan and didn't mind him mentioning the bullying and siblings as part of his backstory.   But I am sick of hearing multiple times every episode.   I am also sick of "in Hawaii we do this" and "I'm from Hawaii where..."  Like we get it, you're not from Georgia.

When I first heard this was going to be on during the holidays, I thought it was going to be a holiday-themed season.  But this clearly filmed as a 'regular' with apparently the intention of airing in the summer like last year.   Given the held back something that was likely in the can and ready for summer makes me think they regretted ordering a second season and we won't be seeing a third.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, biakbiak said:

At least some of his siblings are adopted.

That's what I wondered when I saw the picture of all of them.  Adopted or that his mom (and maybe dad?) fosters.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, rhys said:

I hope/wish Eagan would explain that his parents made him get his GED after dropping out of high school. I wanted to hear that his folks went to the HS to complain about the bullying & see what could be done. Around here that's serious. Perhaps this isn't the right venue.

I think there's a balance between back story and too much information.  I suspect getting into detail about whether or not Eagan got his GED and the steps his parents took when he was bullied might feel like too much for the show.  But I will say that schools have varying competence in dealing with bullying issues. 

I blame the producers for how much Eagan's focus is tied into bullying.  I suspect they have footage from an early "getting to know you" interview which they're reusing in multiple episodes and then asking questions related to that in subsequent episodes.  Ditto with Matt and his Hawaii background, Ashley with her job as a software engineer, the other scientist guy...etc.

I agree that it seems like there's more filler this season than last but I think I'm overall enjoying the crafts more.  Not just with the execution but the visual cleverness involved. For instance, when I heard Eagan was going to do a movie camera, I thought it'd be boring.  But the visual effect of being "comic book 2D" was a lot of fun.  As was the paint brush silhouette. I also loved Ashley's work and felt I'd be the most likely to put something she made into my house but I get why she was eliminated.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I love this show, I’m a fanatic knitter.....but I think it could be a half hour if they cut out the fluff. I really hate “make” as a verb as well as “makers”. It’s just really awkward. What would have been wrong with craft and crafters? 

I really like the contestants. I love Nick but Amy is a little frantic. 

I read your comment as "fantastic knitter" and I wondered how one got to the level to consider themselves fantastic.   Ha!  I do hate that the needle arts, knitting,  crocheting,  cross stitch are not represented in this show,  but then I remember it takes me two weeks to knit a pair of socks (ankle socks, cuff down, two at a time).  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Grumpbump said:

I read your comment as "fantastic knitter" and I wondered how one got to the level to consider themselves fantastic.   Ha!  I do hate that the needle arts, knitting,  crocheting,  cross stitch are not represented in this show,  but then I remember it takes me two weeks to knit a pair of socks (ankle socks, cuff down, two at a time).  

Oh, to be fantastic! 50 years, still drop stitches, still can’t knit and talk at the same time. My grandmother would be embarrassed for me. 

Hey, did you know Etsy markets hand made things? Sigh.  I do wonder what her skill set is. Or is she just a marketing hack. I’d give her more credibility if she was a wire jewelry artist or something. 

I think Eagan has talent but he needs to drop the “I’m just a little boy” riff.

• Love 3

I wonder if the whole "maker" concept was popularized by modern libraries, where "maker spaces" have been added to "reader spaces," where crafts and skills can be taught and explored (3-d printing, for example).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't think the show gets the  credit (or blame) for the term "maker".  And libraries, bless 'em, don't usually coin hipster terms.

It's been a thing for a while.  Here's the Urban Dictionary definition from 2013:

20DB8887-DD7B-460D-869E-24A6D8D39AB3.jpeg

Edited by kirklandia
On 12/7/2019 at 12:48 AM, LittleIggy said:

I love Nick and Amy! I don’t find them annoying.

I don't find them annoying as people, I just find the frequent switchovers to their "funny" scenes a bit much.  I would like their scenes more if it wasn't so frenetic between crafting to them back to crafting, back to them, etc.  I don't like the flow, so thus that is why I considered them more annoying this season.  

• Love 7

I finally caught up with last week's episodes just in time for this week's.

Matt's elimination really made me sad - I think he had my favorite aesthetic of all the makers. His surfboard chair and turtle samurai helmet absolutely would have won were I the judge, and I thought his wreath in this last episode was also gorgeous. I'm not sure how his Chinese dragon was any less "flat" in terms of interactivity than Eagan's groundhog or Lily's balloons. 

Floyd had been underwhelming me as of late but he came roaring back to life with that eagle. That was incredible, from both a design and interactivity point of view.

I think at this point Justine is probably my favorite. I loved her construction wreath, and feel kinship with her as someone who can be uncomfortable with public emotion! 

• Love 5
On 8/3/2018 at 12:12 AM, 7-Zark-7 said:

When Jeff said he was sent that black funeral wreath for being a “dead son”, I screamed “holy shit!” like something leapt out of nowhere in a horror film. 

That broke my heart. I wanted to hug him and then adopt him.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, Grumpbump said:

I do consider myself me a fantastic knitter (I also crochet). 🙂 It is too bad that the show is limited to crafts that can be done in a couple of hours. 

This pair of mittens took me just over 17 hours to finish : Winter Woodland Mittens - January

It would not have made riveting television!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

There was a knitting contest show on but I think it was Danish (?). I'm a knitter so I watched a few episodes but it was closed captioned to English. Still it was a bit of a slog. Was nice to see pretty yarns!

I'm not liking the pacing of this year's series. Has it been explained why it's being smooshed into nightly instead of weekly?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

I do consider myself me a fantastic knitter (I also crochet). 🙂 It is too bad that the show is limited to crafts that can be done in a couple of hours. 

This pair of mittens took me just over 17 hours to finish : Winter Woodland Mittens - January

Slow TV.  It's also A Thing!

https://qz.com/748055/netflixs-newest-offering-is-a-real-time-knitting-marathon/

• Love 1

Those cakes were fantastic. My favorite was Eagon’s. That honey “splash” was beautiful. I hope he continues his education and goes away to college. Get out of Mississippi, honey!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 12
On 12/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, rhys said:

There was a knitting contest show on but I think it was Danish (?). I'm a knitter so I watched a few episodes but it was closed captioned to English. Still it was a bit of a slog. Was nice to see pretty yarns!

Den Store Strikkedyst aka The Great Knit Off (3 seasons, 2014-2016) is a Danish knitting competition with a similar format as the GBBO series (three challenges per episode, one person is awarded knitter of the week). TV SYD has all of the episodes available on their official YouTube channel.

I know I complained about Nick and Amy's segments this season, but I did enjoy watching them smash a cake outside. I mean, hasn't everyone wanted to do that? I enjoy them as hosts much more when they just walk around and talk to the contestants. I had to laugh at the footage of Nick taking food from as many stations as possible. I can't say no to chocolate.

Rebecca's rainbow cake with Rice Krispie treats looked like a Pinterest cake

Floyd's buckets with frogs were so colorful and cute.

Lilly's cereal bowl cake looked so realistic. My only complaint was that something about the angle of the spoon was off.

Jessie's hillside with fruit leather shirts was sweet and full of details.

Justine's hot air balloon was fun but the ice cream cone cupcakes and regular cupcakes just sitting in front didn't seem to belong.

I liked Eagan's honey cake because the motion of the splash was so fun.

The cubicle project was interesting, but a lot of people don't have the freedom to make such huge changes to their work spaces.

I wanted to like Jessie's cubicle because there were elements that I liked (the scissors making a pattern on on wall, the cushion made out of the fabric she put the scissors on when she painted them, and of course the orange portrait) but it was just too dark for me.

Lilly's Art Deco cubicle was so beautiful. It's amazing what a difference a little bit of color can do.

Floyd's cubicle was an eyesore for me. I could not look at those giant words every day. This looked like the cubicle of a guy who wears Ed Hardy shirts and thinks Guy Fieri is cool.

Rebecca's cubicle was an interesting combination of elements. I liked that the floor was just a painted drop cloth. I didn't get why she put that wooden frame on top though.

Justine's tropical cubicle felt like something that people could do to their work space without getting in trouble for making too many changes. I liked that she used the pink message notes for the hibiscus and the desk calendar pages for palm fronds.

Eagan's graffiti cubicle was too much for me, but I get why it would appeal to someone young like him. My favorite part was the file cabinet dumpster.

• Love 5

Sorry but Eagan and his mother throw off a very unsettling Duggar vibe where they almost seem obsessed with having small children around literally all the time. Shouldn’t he be proud of his younger siblings growing up and making lives of their own?  While adopting three kids would otherwise seem very admirable, stories like this make it seem like they’re collecting little children to maintain some weird fantasy family life. 

I’m like Justine. I don’t like being hugged or touched by anyone other than close relatives. I was surprised that Amy went that route with her after seeing how uncomfortable it made her. 

I love artists like Jessie who use unconventional media in their work.  Go to her Instagram page to be blown away by her talent.  The portraits she’s done with sand shadows (yes, sand shadows) are incredible.  

This would’ve definitely been much more enjoyable if it was holiday themed, but they probably didn’t realize it was going to be pushed back to December. Netflix would be a much better fit for this show, and they could do themed series like they do with Nailed It. 

Edited by Johnny Dollar
  • Love 5

I think the right person won both challenges (though Eagan's honey cake was a close second to Lily's cereal cake), and the right person went home. That rarely happens for me!

I'm not nearly as uncomfortable about Eagan as some folks here are - I think he's answering the questions that people are asking of him about why he's an 18 year old on this show and what he cares about, and we're putting a lottttttttt of outside stuff onto him with very little actual knowledge of his life. I also love Mississippi and have been fortunate enough to spend a fair amount of time there over the years, and am probably a little sensitive to all the stereotypes about the rural south and people there with lots of kids (thanks a lot, DUGGARS).

This show just makes me happy. I love the creativity and support - it definitely feels like an American GBBO. I also get genuinely tickled when Amy and Nick laugh for real when interacting with the makers, like her with the banana phone. They bring me a lot of joy even though we could dial back their little skits by about 50% and still have plenty to go round. 

• Love 14

Welp, now we know that the 19 year old has had a paying job--for one month. So thank you, Dayna. Please go home home, Eagan, & work construction or something for at least a year, continue your craft & get some friends. Maybe get an apartment & a roommate or 2. 

loved all the eating. And the goofy British accents.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Den Store Strikkedyst aka The Great Knit Off (3 seasons, 2014-2016) is a Danish knitting competition with a similar format as the GBBO series (three challenges per episode, one person is awarded knitter of the week). TV SYD has all of the episodes available on their official YouTube channel.

Thank you for that, completely addictive... even if you can't speak a word of Danish. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Thank you for that, completely addictive... even if you can't speak a word of Danish. 

I used to crochet a lot but I never could knit very well.  I stumbled on a marathon of the Danish show late one evening and ended up watching the whole thing until something like 3 AM, subtitles and all.  I can't even explain why it fascinated me so.

I was very surprised when they eliminated Eagan.  He put a lot of work into his room and even though it was way too loud for my taste, I thought it met the theme better than a couple others.  The "Chippendale" room was awful IMO.

The amount of time they spend on Nick and Amy being "funny" continues to annoy me but I have to admit that I laughed when Amy said, "That's not a cake knife.  This is a cake knife."  Probably because I once had a terrible crush on Crocodile Dundee.  🙂

Edited by mlp
correct something
  • Love 7

I love Amy and Nick, but I do think they have spent too much time on their bits this year. I want to spend more time on the contestants, I feel like we hardly get to hear why certain people are being eliminated and other people are staying. It almost seems random to me. My favorite Nick and Amy bits are usually with the contestants, it feels a lot more real to me, and you can see the natural warmth that so many people on this show have. 

I am playing catch up (slow down the episodes please!!) and I am really sad that Matt is gone, I thought he did a lot of great work that was very unique. I loved his turtle ninja house (I was waiting for a teenage mutant ninja turtles reference) and his Chinese New Years dragon was wonderful. 

• Love 7

I thought Eagan's honey cake was better than Lily's cereal cake.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lilly's cereal bowl cake looked so realistic. My only complaint was that something about the angle of the spoon was off.

Yes, it looked weird. Milk doesn't pour like that. This is why I think Eagan should have won.

I didn't like Rebecca's rainbow cake. Kind of sloppy.

I wasn't really crazy about any of the cubicles. Probably Justine's was my favorite because of all the paper flowers she created. However, I appreciated the skill that Floyd continually shows. Those big words were really cool. I also liked Jessie's extension cord portrait. I need to search out her Instagram page. Her talent amazes me.

I was certain that Rebecca was going to go home. Color me shocked that she actually won. Although I wasn't a fan of Lily's Art Deco cubicle, I thought she was going to win. It was so funny when Barney's guy sarcastically said about Chippendale, "You mean there's a style I haven't heard of?"

6 hours ago, rhys said:

loved all the eating. And the goofy British accents.

The British accents and comments were hilarious. "I'm afraid you've got a soggy bottom."

I really like that we see each contestant at the end playing the song with Amy, Nick, and everyone else who has gone before. It makes me less sad about them being booted off.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I really like that we see each contestant at the end playing the song with Amy, Nick, and everyone else who has gone before. It makes me less sad about them being booted off.

I was so delighted to see the theremin!   Perfect "science nerd" instrument.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love Amy and Nick, but I do think they have spent too much time on their bits this year. I want to spend more time on the contestants, I feel like we hardly get to hear why certain people are being eliminated and other people are staying. It almost seems random to me.

I agree that this season the show hasn't built full and compelling cases for why eliminations happen. I think this is less due to the time they've spent on Amy and Nick's bits, and more to how the show has really, really emphasized its "niceness," which it (mis)understands as a refusal to be critical of any maker. What has essentially happened is that during judging, everyone is super complimentary, and then there is usually just one mild reservation expressed. Last ep, when they said that the dragon wasn't interactive, I knew that Matt was done. This ep, I actually worried that the judges saying Justine's banana phone didn't look polished was her death knell, but for once they also snuck in a vaguely critical comment about Eagan's project. 

That's really the thing that has bothered me the most this season: the show has been too self-congratulatory about its "niceness" ("everyone gets along! we wish we didn't eliminate people, because we hate being an actual competition even though we are! we don't emphasise the grand prize! because money corrupts the purity of crafting!"). It's now Little League.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

That's really the thing that has bothered me the most this season: the show has been too self-congratulatory about its "niceness" 

First, I just have to say, love your user name and pic. Corgis RULE!!!!!!!! Now that that is out of my system...

I agree. In the intro when Amy is all "but it isn't about the cash prize" I instantly think, then why have one? The show you knocked off doesn't have one. They just give away a cool glass cake plate. I do like that they all end up on the porch playing their instruments. That is all that is needed to give the "nice" vibe. 

I pretty much zone out once the "judges" start talking because they really say nothing interesting or useful. They just heap tons of not always earned praise making the times someone does do something praise worth basically meaningless. "You glued two piece of paper together! OMG That's the most amazing thing ever!!!!" "You built an entire house including insulation and hardware in under an hour! OMG That's the most amazing thing ever!!!!" There should probably be a difference in the reaction to those two accomplishments. 

When they ever pointed out Rebecca wrapping a vase in contact paper like it was something amazing, all I could think was they should come to my house. My back splash is contact papered. I have a contact paper library wall, I contacted papered my hideous bathroom vanity. They would die of shock at how amazing it is!!!!! Or how cheap I am and determined to make my new home my own in the quickest and cheapest way possible. I never think doing this stuff is amazing. It's just obvious to me.  

I do love the show. I think it's nice. Not really great, or must see TV, but nice. I enjoy Amy and Nick, though I can't decide if it's that they are doing more bits or that the bits they are doing feel more and more scripted, but it is very hit or miss for me. 

Also, I wish we got more info on how they are choosing their winners and losers because I have gotten it wrong every episode so far.  I have begun to suspect that Etsy makes the actual decision because Rebecca's cubicle, and that triangle wreath thing she got a win for, are about the most Etsy things I've seen. For me she has been the least interesting or inspiring because I feel like I could find most of her ideas on Etsy already. (and I may have said Etsy about half as much in this post as Etsy lady manages to say it on the show. lol)

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

the show has really, really emphasized its "niceness," which it (mis)understands as a refusal to be critical of any maker. What has essentially happened is that during judging, everyone is super complimentary, and then there is usually just one mild reservation expressed.

I don't mind Nick and Amy being full of compliments because they are the hosts. Their job is not to judge or criticize the contestants or what they've made. But I do put it on the two actual judges for not giving better feedback. If you don't tell the contestants what you dislike about their creations, how are they supposed to improve in the next challenge?

9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

When they ever pointed out Rebecca wrapping a vase in contact paper like it was something amazing, all I could think was they should come to my house. My back splash is contact papered. I have a contact paper library wall, I contacted papered my hideous bathroom vanity. They would die of shock at how amazing it is!!!!!

This bothered me only because the etsy judge said it. If this is the industry you're in, you should be familiar with the materials/trends/shortcuts (for the same reason, it drives me crazy when Paul Hollywood says he's never heard of certain ingredients or flavor combinations despite the fact that I, a decidedly non-professional chef, have heard of them). If Amy had said it, I would have been fine with it because she is admittedly not crafty so almost everything she sees the contestants do is new to her.

• Love 4

Rebecca's camper bank was cute and looked like her. I give her credit for decorating the inside too.

Jessie's Japanese shadow box bank was really cool. I loved the shoji doors and the origami inside.

Lilly's carousel bank was the simplest in design, but I liked how personal it was with the animals and the tiny paintings.

Floyd's art gallery bank was a fun idea.

Justine's house bank was simple but I liked the details like the Christmas tree inside.

I knew that the judges would pick Floyd as the winner for the piggy bank challenge. It was clear they loved it.

Justine's scouting/hideaway bedroom was an interesting concept. I liked that she drew on her experience sharing a room with her two sisters as the inspiration for wanting a little hideaway.

Lilly's movie-inspired animation studio bedroom was so fun. I loved all the details (the marquis with touchlights, the giant popcorn, the retro tv, the corkboard film strip) and it was so whimsical.

Jessie's coloring book bedroom was definitely something a lot of kids would like. Who wasn't tempted to draw on their walls as a kid? I liked the black she added to the edges to give the furniture a comic book look.

Floyd's exaggerated scale bedroom was just okay for me.

Rebecca's glamping bedroom was very Pinterest-y so I thought the etsy woman would love it. The outhouse closet was funny but overall I didn't love it.

Farewell, Floyd!

I would have given the win to Lilly, but the judges obviously had a lot of fun playing in Jessie's room so I wasn't surprised that she won.

• Love 5

I wish they'd give a little more information on what the "makers" know about each challenge ahead of time. They must more or less know the challenge so they can have the materials they want available. In contrast, on the GBBO we hear about how many times they practiced (or didn't) the signature and showstopper bakes.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I wish they'd give a little more information on what the "makers" know about each challenge ahead of time. They must more or less know the challenge so they can have the materials they want available. In contrast, on the GBBO we hear about how many times they practiced (or didn't) the signature and showstopper bakes.

I was thinking this, too.  I feel they must know both the Faster Craft and Master Craft because they pull out boxes of stuff and immediately start working.  It's not like some cooking contest shows where they show the contestants running to the pantry and working out what they are going to make as they find ingredients.  And some of these "crafts" are very large and involved.  I'm ok with that, but I agree that they were more open about it. 

I really liked Jesse's room, but I don't really know why part of it had color.  I did like Floyd's the least, but he is very talented.  I hope he gets his art gallery back. 

• Love 6

Those battery operated lights in Lily's movie-themed room really bugged me (and the judges were gushing over them.) How wasteful to have those disposable batteries-- how long can they possibly last? And you have to push each individual one on and off? Right.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, rhys said:

I also loved Amy & Nick looking all semi corporate outside the cubes. 

I continue to be delighted by them, but Amy seemed so befuddled when Nick got choked up about Floyd. She looked completely thrown and couldn't decide if he was doing a bit or was genuinely moved.

5 hours ago, dleighg said:

They must more or less know the challenge so they can have the materials they want available. 

That finally dawned on me, too. Duh. It's not a negative and I'd much rather see work that's well planned and thought through, so trying to obscure it seems odd. It is nice that the helper guy is being shown on air.

This year's makers seem so much more skilled and creative overall.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

I continue to be delighted by them, but Amy seemed so befuddled when Nick got choked up about Floyd. She looked completely thrown and couldn't decide if he was doing a bit or was genuinely moved.

I think it was just a bit they were doing, since they were spoofing the talking head parts of "The Office." There was really no reason for Nick to choke up, so Amy was just acting when she looked around awkwardly. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I really liked Jesse's room, but I don't really know why part of it had color.  

When she first started, I think she called it a coloring book/comic book room. Maybe the color part was the comic book? Or maybe it was representing what had already been colored.

I loved everyone's piggy bank. The camper one was maybe my favorite, but I liked Justine's saltbox house. I also liked the carousel one because of the little paintings and the cute cutout animals. I wanted to like Floyd's more, but the inside didn't look like an art gallery to me. I know it was representing HIS art gallery, but it didn't go with the frame, imo. 

I agree with Jessie winning for the coloring book room. So fun and well executed.

I figured when Simon told Floyd to incorporate more elements (and Floyd was so confident and unworried), that Floyd would be going. I sure like his stuff, though. And in his room, I loved the look of the wall outlet.

Loved that game that Amy and Nick played where you take a piece of paper out of a bowl then make that out of clay for the other person to guess. I would love to play that game.

Cracked me up the say that Nick said, "We had a comic book character called Super Man."

Oh, and the fake pic of Simon as a Boy Scout was pretty funny.

• Love 1
On 12/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, kirklandia said:

I watched the whole thing!  I'm a knitter too (40+ years) and just adored every single minute! 

I think a contestant could incorporate some knitting in this show if they used some of the giant needles and huge skeins of roving yarn that are so trendy right now.  Knitting up a rug where each stitch measures about 1"-2" each could probably be done in half an hour or so. 

Very glad Eagan got the boot.  No surprise he said he's never had a job, except for working at a pizza place for a few days.  Sorry special snowflake, Hollywood set designers usually have to go to art school, have a design background, have some EDUCATION.  I really don't like they even had him on there.  They had to force too much to make him a "role model".  Being bullied, then abandoning school to babysit your siblings and make costumes isn't much to aspire to. 

I LOVED when Nick kept shoving cake & candy in his mouth during that challenge.  He was so damn cute!  *LOL*

• Love 5
On 12/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, Eliza422 said:

I knit and crochet as well, but your mittens are so fantastic.  I am going to friend you on Ravelry.

• Love 1

I missed the first two thirds of tonight's first episode (and had no idea they were airing back to back), but was stunned that Jessi's shed didn't win. That floor was a work of freaking art.

Fully agreed w/ the decision to send Rebecca home. Once she struggled to answer the question about focal point, it was clear she was going to be the one to go.

• Love 9

I really wanted Lilly to win the invitation challenge. It was a personal and original party idea and had design elements and layers that were very well executed. And yes, the little attendees could definitely use it as a bed for their dolls and action figures. I thought Lilly's party was too over the top pink to win but was gladdened to see her progress and ever-expanding creativity throughout the show.

Dayna can bite me with her focal point obsession in the sheds, but I did agree that Rebecca's was the least innovative. Whoever had potted plants laid on their sides in the ceiling latticework ... how you gonna water those suckers? The plain plastic pots weren't the best, either.

I'm happy Justine won but would have felt the same for any of the finalists. Fingers crossed for another season next summer where it's supposed to be!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

I really wanted Lilly to win the invitation challenge. It was a personal and original party idea and had design elements and layers that were very well executed. And yes, the little attendees could definitely use it as a bed for their dolls and action figures. I thought Lilly's party was too over the top pink to win but was gladdened to see her progress and ever-expanding creativity throughout the show.

Dayna can bite me with her focal point obsession in the sheds, but I did agree that Rebecca's was the least innovative. Whoever had potted plants laid on their sides in the ceiling latticework ... how you gonna water those suckers? The plain plastic pots weren't the best, either.

I'm happy Justine won but would have felt the same for any of the finalists. Fingers crossed for another season next summer where it's supposed to be!

I think the idea of sleeping in your own room was a good/different idea for a celebration. I loved Lilly's use of the glass box & details. Plus the macarons on her tablescape?! Brilliant.

Jesse's celebration just wasn't all "that". I had trouble following her thought process of souls on fire.

But I'm not disappointed Justine won. She seemed clever throughout the challenge & used a lot of mediums. She's the one with the plants on their sides but I'm guessing they're artificial.

I loved the periscopes. Tres cool.

• Love 3

Lilly's 50s Cuban casita looked like a great homey getaway perfect for relaxing. I loved the tiles she made for the wall. I also really liked the pattern she created on the floor with the tape. The tall shutters gave the space a very vacation feel.

Jessie's meditation shed was so minimalistic but then you look down and see that amazing floor! The periscopes were such a fun addition too. I liked that she angled one so that you could see the sky from a specific seat. I loved the huge skylight too.

Rebecca's hippie hideaway was very airy. I'm tired of her using hexagons all the time. Of the four contestants left, she seems to be the one who is most aware that she is on a show with a specific message and a specific sponsor.

Justine's California bungalow had some interesting details. I liked the shibori screens she created for the sliding doors. I also really liked the stamp that she created to pattern the floor. I loved the brighter blue she used on the pillows. They were a very beachy blue.

I knew Rebecca was going to be eliminated when the etsy lady asked her what the focal point of her shed was. Why does a shed need a focal point? She was my choice to go this episode too but not because her shed lacked a focal point. Her stuff started looking the same to me. There's a fine line between having a signature look and doing the same thing over and over. On a shallow note, it was really obvious that she wasn't playing the saxophone at the end which kind of bummed me out because up until that point, they have looked like a ragtag band but a band nonetheless. The fake sax playing was giving me flashbacks to 80s videos.

As for choosing the winner of the shed challenge, I liked the other three for different reasons so I would have had a hard time picking one person. I loved that Lilly used so many different techniques in her shed. But how could Jessie not win with the combination of that floor and the periscopes?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I have to watch almost every episode that was on this week yet, but that shows they did not do the show justice by rushing it, especially when a lot of things are going on.  Between it being on at 10 pm every night, and that it is on every night, I just couldn't keep up.  I will go back and watch, but I wish they would have just had this on in the summer or something when they could have done one episode a week.  

• Love 3