Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm a day behind so I just watched the S2 premiere. As much as I like Amy and Nick, I really wish the show would cut back on the staged segments with them. They are great when they interact with the contestants so I don't know why they need to add all of those extraneous segments.

I am so jealous that Eagan's siblings get such amazing Halloween costumes! His noodle puppet was so creative and fun, and it was so personal.

Justine's lobster was done well but as the judges pointed out, it didn't tell us anything about her.

Jessie's portraits are amazing. Pine needles? Marinara sauce? Holy crap. I couldn't draw that well with a pencil, let alone with other materials. She is so talented. I liked that each truffle had something inside to represent her.

Aspen's chocolate bar looked very realistic and detailed but like Justine's lobster, I felt like it didn't tell us much about her.

Lilly's ice cream cone was so fun and whimsical. When she initially said she does balloon art, I was a bit skeptical but if this is representative of the work she does then I can't wait to see what she does next. I do worry if she runs into a challenge where she can't use balloons though.

Ashley is awesome. A software engineer and self taught woodworker? Damn. Her popsicles were a fun idea but they looked like something you could buy at a toy store, meaning they weren't very personal or unique.

Rebecca's cake was pretty basic in its design but it was bright and fun and she managed to personalize it with the glasses and the foof.

Matt's sandwich was fine but I wanted something more unique or personal.

Floyd's hot dog was really creative. I liked that he put so much thought into the details, like the screws for poppyseeds and the speakers in the tomatoes.

Jamie's box of cereal was simple in design but it was executed well. After hearing about all of his other job skills, I wish he'd done something a little more complicated. My favorite thing was the toy ring hidden inside the puzzle.

Eagan definitely deserved to win that faster craft challenge. What he made was creative and unique and so fun.

One of the things I love about GBBO is how people offer to help other contestants when they have time. I thought it was sweet of so many people to jump in to try to help Aspen finish her project (when they called time, there were nine people working on that clothespin project!). I don't understand what she did for the entire time.

I didn't understand the connection between Aspen's sunset clothespin project and her childhood. All I remember her saying was that she didn't craft as a child and she liked working with unconventional materials. I totally get if she didn't have a childhood craft to transform into an adult version. I just wish she had come up with a better project. Even if she had finished it, I don't think it was creative enough.

Lilly's wall hanging was a fun and creative update on friendship bracelets. I remember making soooooo many of those in middle school.

Matt's robot lab was a fun idea.

Jessie's paintbrush bust was so great. I like that she showed us that she can do portraits in other mediums. What she created was so creative and cool. I love that when she apologized for crying, Amy said, "No, we love to cry here."

Ashley's mosaic credenza with the secret table was a cool idea and unlike Aspen, she was able to explain how this was not something from her childhood but make it into an interesting update on where she started.

Eagan's lemonade stand was so adorable and creative. What I also love is although his projects are ambitious, he knows his limits and is able to finish them in the allotted time. That's not a dig at Aspen either. I find it frustrating on shows like this (or Project Runway) where you can clearly see the idea and where the person was going with it but they didn't have time to complete it.

Justine's quilted room divider was very personal but I found it hard to believe that it took her as long to make that as it took Floyd or Matt to make their projects.

Matt's skateboard rocking chair was fun. I've seen chairs and benches made out of skateboards and skis before but not a rocking chair. I liked the bold color and design he painted to draw attention to the skateboard.

Rebecca's latch hook wall hanging was really lacking for me. I did latch hook rugs as a kid so I was interested to see how she would update it, but what she created didn't look like it was any more advanced, mature, or different from what an elementary school kid would make. I appreciate that she used different colors and techniques but in the end, it still looks like something a kid made.

Floyd's sneaker bench. looked a little clunky but it was a really creative project Thank you to Simon for telling everyone the correct way to pronounce chaise longue. It is NOT chaise LOUNGE. I loved the story and inspiration behind it.

I was surprised that Justine won. I would have given the win to Eagan or Matt.

No surprise that Aspen was eliminated. I think that even if she had managed to get all 4000 clothespins on there, it still wouldn't have been interesting or creative enough.

• Love 7

It's only the second episode and I'm already sick of the etsy lady pimping etsy so often.

I was excited to see how the statement walls turned out.

Rebecca's geometric wall with succulents was one of the least interesting creations in the first challenge. I liked that she specifically said she wanted it to be doable for people at home to recreate but it was a little boring for me.

Ashley's faux fireplace is definitely something that I know people would love to have in their homes.

Floyd's weather wall was really dramatic with the colors and the clouds. What is a hobby farm though?

Jamie's map wall was not very interesting to me. It's something you'd see on pinterest. The pictures magnets he made were simple, personal, and cute, but they weren't enough for me. I don't know how he spent all that time on gluing a map and making a few magnets.

Matt's surfboard/skateboard wall was colorful and fun - and functional! Surfers often have a dilemma about how and where to store their surfboards so I loved that he had a solution for that. I liked how he incorporated the fins into the shelves.

Lilly's gold chevron wall was very eye catching.

I liked Eagan's rainbow stripe wall because it was graphic and eye catching but it's also easy enough for anyone to do at home.

Justine's electrical cord flower was unique due to the electrical cording she used to create the outline of the flower. I loved that tennis ball installation she did!

Jessie's sponge wall definitely had a sporty/flag feel as Amy and Nick pointed out.

I thought the judges would choose Justine as the winner so I was surprised when they picked Ashley.

I love unique mailboxes (I have been known to pull over and take pictures of them) so I was excited about the final challenge.

Matt's tiger shark mailbox showed his sense of humor.

Jamie's submarine mailbox was a fun idea but it looked unfinished. From the front, it looked like a cartoon snake.

Rebecca's cactus mailbox was an interesting idea but the execution was too simple. The sunset looked like a taco.

Jessie's paint spill mailbox was a fun optical illusion. I agreed with Simon that the paint would have looked more realistic if it hadn't been tube shaped.

Lilly's treehouse mailbox was adorable. I loved all the details - the shingled roof, the tiny calendar, the hot glue gun, the paint roller, etc.

Justine's ship mailbox turned out well. It looked well made

Eagan's movie camera mailbox was great. I loved the comic book look he gave it, which was a good choice so that it wasn't a big dark box.

Floyd's exploding boom box with blue flames was unique and fun. Hee, bonus for including a shredder.

Ashley's pink pickup truck mailbox was so sweet.

Yay for Lilly winning this week!

I'm disappointed that Jamie is going home because I feel like he had the potential to do so much more, but what he made this just fell short.

Ha, I love that Mark the robot is still peeking out behind trees.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Personally, I thought the electrical cord picture should have won the first round. I loved Nick and Amy’s prom pictures. 😆 I hope Mark hangs around. I want to live in this show!

I so agree! Loved that wall art. Thought it was beautiful. 

The mailboxes were fun & I was thinking of how my letter carrier would enjoy those every day -- at least I think she would for awhile. The balloons on Lilly's would last a minute though.

disappointed in Jamie's map. For a Ph.D chemist, he should have done way  more. He had access to lots of cool stuff & he chose a map? Come on. That was a disappointment after Mark.

• Love 4

Okay, I'm from Austin girl: saguaros are in the Sonoran Desert. That's Arizona and Mexico. No saguaros in your chocolate truffles!

I am now so sad I live in an apartment complex and can't make a tiger shark or movie camera mailbox.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Eagan's movie camera mailbox was great. I loved the comic book look he gave it, which was a good choice so that it wasn't a big dark box.

It was amazing how cartoon-like it looked-- in a good way. He described it perfectly-- that you can't tell whether it's 2d or 3d!

• Love 9

I hope/wish Eagan would explain that his parents made him get his GED after dropping out of high school. I wanted to hear that his folks went to the HS to complain about the bullying & see what could be done. Around here that's serious. Perhaps this isn't the right venue.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rhys said:

I hope/wish Eagan would explain that his parents made him get his GED after dropping out of high school. I wanted to hear that his folks went to the HS to complain about the bullying & see what could be done. Around here that's serious. Perhaps this isn't the right venue.

Is that what happened or what you hope happened? As much as I have concerns over online high schools, I think they provide great pathways for teens who are stuck in dysfunctional schools to have an option for a HS diploma. (Not knocking GEDs at all. Those tests are no joke.)

I want Eagan to thrive in this competition not because of the struggles, but in spite of them. I am super impressed by what he’s able to do at such a young age! 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Is that what happened or what you hope happened? As much as I have concerns over online high schools, I think they provide great pathways for teens who are stuck in dysfunctional schools to have an option for a HS diploma. (Not knocking GEDs at all. Those tests are no joke.)

What I hope would have happened. He talks about being bullied & being a dropout, so maybe in an upcoming episode he'll address what steps his parents took. I forgot about online HS. Would Eagan have called himself a dropout if he completed online HS?

• Love 1

I will miss Jamie, but I will especially miss Mark! Every cutback to Mark peeking out from behind things with dramatic stings made me giggle harder than the last time it happened. And now that his father has been eliminated, Mark will demand vengeance! Adorable, robotic vengeance! 

The mailboxes were adorable, I had a hard time picking a favorite, but Eagans cartoon box was probably my favorite, although the Lilies tree house being a close second. Glad that she won, but sad to see Jamie go, he seemed to have a lot of potential that he never really got to show. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Rebecca's geometric wall with succulents was one of the least interesting creations in the first challenge. I liked that she specifically said she wanted it to be doable for people at home to recreate but it was a little boring for me.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Rebecca's cactus mailbox was an interesting idea but the execution was too simple. The sunset looked like a taco.

Rebecca is definitely my least favorite so far. On both episodes, her craftsmanship and her creativity seem to be below everyone else's. I think she'll be gone pretty soon. 

Well darn. The right person went home tonight but I was hoping we'd get to see more from that maker. The pet house just wasn't jazzy enough.

I didn't see Mark at the very end. Did I blink & miss him? 

• Love 3

All of the makers are sweet, talented and likeable.  It does remind me of the chemistry on Great British Bake Off.  It's a joy to watch, and I do feel bad when a maker gets get, just like on GBBO. 

Ashley's dog house was beautiful, but per the judges, not enough pizzazz, and no wow factor (other than being incredibly clean and well designed).  I just think her esthetic is clean and simple, and not kitschy enough for Etsy lady and Doonan.  

I have a question about Jessie's art medium...if she uses food for paint & sculpting, does that mean her projects have a shelf life?  They can't be permanent, can they?  Wouldn't mustard/ketchup/chocolate start to mold or stink after a while?  Or maybe she shellacs or puts poly on her pieces to "seal" them? 

Eagan is breaking my heart every episode!  What a sweet kid!  If he doesn't win this thing, I hope at least he gets an offer from a set designer or costume department.  He has talent and such big dreams for himself and his family.

• Love 7

It's only the second episode and I'm already sick of the etsy lady pimping etsy so often.

She's the one off note in this charming little show. Her "script" has her lecturing and marketing non-stop in a loud voice that belongs in a corporate board room. She did it in season 1 also.

Since NBC is showing season 2 over consecutive nights, I worry the show is being treated as filler and will not be renewed.

Justine is a hoot. It's not everyone who can keep four show-biz pros on their toes.

Yes! Same vibe as GBBS. They are an oasis in parched, tired, trashy reality TV land.

Agree that the scripted skits are a bit much, although I enjoy the pun shoot-outs.

Loved Simon's first autobiography that chronicled his young adulthood.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7

When Nick and Amy said the faster challenge was to make costumes, I thought ooh, whoever gets Eagan will have a huge advantage because he has made so many amazing costumes for his brothers and sisters! Then Nick said they would be using egg cartons, aluminum foil, sponges, shipping tubes, and tennis balls and I thought uh oh, what the hell is anyone going to make with that stuff? Thank goodness they were allowed to use other materials too.

Ashley's packet of blades and Floyd's jigsaw was an interesting concept but I had a lot of issues with the costumes themselves. They were both the kind of costume that you would have to bring with you and then put on when you arrive because they're so big and bulky. They were also the kind of costume where you will inadvertently whack strangers every time you turn around because they're so wide and you don't have a full view of your entire costume while you're wearing it.

Justine's wok and Jessie's sushi roll was my favorite because it was a fun couples costume that wasn't exactly the same. They managed to make all the food look like food and it was all very detailed. Bonus points because the costumes looked light and easy to wear. I loved the little soy sauce bags too because I hate when I wear a costume and have no pockets or a place to put my keys and phone.

Lilly and Rebecca's llama pinata was cute. I loved that it broke apart and they had all kinds of colorful stuff inside. The other thing I liked about their costume is that it was easy to put on and take off. There's nothing worse than a costume that you have to struggle wth, especially when it's clear that you can't really sit down in a car or on the subway to get to a party while wearing it. I was surprised that Miss Etsy didn't take the opportunity to tell us how popular llamas are on Etsy.

Matt and Eagan's robots looked a little too homemade for my taste. I'm all for motorized stuff but if you have to ask someone to turn off your motor because you can't hear what people are saying, that's not very practical for a costume.

Pet houses - awwww!

Justine's dune buggy was fun but there was something about the proportions that I didn't love. I loved that she made a fold down ramp so her older dog could enter and exit easily.

Lilly's monarch bakery was so pretty. I loved that it was also practical. There were so many details

Matt's samurai turtle house was so unique. I loved that he subtly incorporated skateboard decks again.

Jessie's dog house was interesting because of the forced perspective but it didn't seem very cozy. I liked the checkered floor and the fancy curtain. The good/bad sign was fun. I loved that she used peanut butter to paint the wallpaper and to glue the dog biscuits to the walls.

Eagan's milk carton cow house was so cute. Everything he creates has such a distinct point of view and so much personality. The contrast of the abstract painting inside was great.

Ashley's mid-century modern dog house was well executed but I have to agree with the judges about needing a wow factor. I feel like the stuff that she creates is the base model for people to decorate and add stuff to. She makes things with clean lines and not a lot of color so sometimes her stuff ends up looking generic.

Floyd's cat and dog house definitely had the video game look he was going for. I liked the geometric pattern on the ceiling. Although it was a structure, it didn't really seem like a house since it was so open.

Rebecca's Palm Springs cat house was fun and I liked that it was more detailed than some of the other stuff she's made. Unlike Simon, I didn't mind the mixture of the gold graphic 70s wallpaper, the 80s Golden Girls colors, and the mid-century architecture. I think when people go with all one theme, it can look a bit cliche. Mixing different styles is what makes something your own.

Congratulations to Justine for winning the pet house challenge! Ashley's construction is good when she can make big things (her little wooden popsicles in the first episode were a little messy looking due to her paint skills) but sometimes her creations lack personality or oomph. For that reason, I wasn't surprised that she was eliminated tonight.

After watching the second episode, I thought Rebecca would be the next one to go but she really stepped it up with her cat house.

• Love 4

I loved Simon calling out the different decades in Rebecca's Palm Springs house. I have rented many a house out there and the ones that haven't been completely redone actually do have a mishmash of styles going. It's like grandma's PS house before her kids get it and put it on Air BnB.

• Love 2

Ah, call me an old cynic. I can't stand all of Eagan's sob stories. I get it, he's had it rough blah blah blah...I'm sick of it. He has some talent, sure, but can we get through one episode without rambling on about all the brats in his house?

And another rant - does everything have to be connected to some damn personal story? It reminds me of a lot of the Food Network baking shows I watch where every frickin' cake you bake has to tie to your family nigh unto the 10th generation back.

Sometimes a cake is just a cake - and sometimes a garishly decorated mailbox is just an affront to the senses.

Etsy lady is just as annoying this season as last. 

I knit, crochet, and am looking into weaving and quilting next - but I never call myself a "maker". I can't stand that term and I've bitched about it to various friends of mine. But I'll save that for another time.

I'll slink back to my hermit's cottage now...

Edited by Eliza422
  • LOL 3
  • Love 16

I swear, I do not understand the judges' choices! Forced perspective or not, the winning dog house was the most boring of the bunch to me, and that includes the one the judges thought was too modern/simple. I think Simon just lets the horrible Etsy lady and her bad taste make all the decisions.

Eagan may want to work in set design but he's too enmeshed with his family to leave home. Hopefully when he's a few years older he develops some perspective and maybe even realizes he and his mother aren't the same person. He could also stand to mention his father once in a while; there was one in his family photos.

• Love 8

Swimming against the tide here like Eliza422, but Eagan annoys me.  I really don't need an anti-bullying PSA every episode.   He just gives off the whiff of special-snowflake-syndrome to me.  Yes he's young, but does he work at some kind of job?  19 years old, no HS diploma & living with mom & dad needs to be at least working part-time.  And those embroidered shirts are too twee. 

I'm rooting for Jessie to take the whole thing.  I love her visions. 

Nick Offerman is looking VERY attractive this season.  More so than last.  I think it's the shorter hair & more salt & pepper in the facial scruff.  Lucky Megan Mullally!

• Love 3

I was getting tired of Ashley mentioning every episode that "she's an engineer." I mean, that just reinforces the idea that it's weird for a woman to be an engineer. Please! It's 2019! (I'm a female engineer myself-- and I'm almost 60!)

• Love 4
On 12/4/2019 at 12:52 AM, LittleIggy said:

Personally, I thought the electrical cord picture should have won the first round. I loved Nick and Amy’s prom pictures. 😆 I hope Mark hangs around. I want to live in this show!

On 12/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was excited to see how the statement walls turned out.

Ashley's faux fireplace is definitely something that I know people would love to have in their homes.

Floyd's weather wall was really dramatic with the colors and the clouds. What is a hobby farm though?

Jamie's map wall was not very interesting to me. It's something you'd see on pinterest. The pictures magnets he made were simple, personal, and cute, but they weren't enough for me. I don't know how he spent all that time on gluing a map and making a few magnets.

Matt's surfboard/skateboard wall was colorful and fun - and functional! Surfers often have a dilemma about how and where to store their surfboards so I loved that he had a solution for that. I liked how he incorporated the fins into the shelves.

Lilly's gold chevron wall was very eye catching.

I liked Eagan's rainbow stripe wall because it was graphic and eye catching but it's also easy enough for anyone to do at home.

Justine's electrical cord flower was unique due to the electrical cording she used to create the outline of the flower. I loved that tennis ball installation she did!

Jessie's sponge wall definitely had a sporty/flag feel as Amy and Nick pointed out.

I thought the judges would choose Justine as the winner so I was surprised when they picked Ashley.

I love unique mailboxes (I have been known to pull over and take pictures of them) so I was excited about the final challenge.

Matt's tiger shark mailbox showed his sense of humor.

Jamie's submarine mailbox was a fun idea but it looked unfinished. From the front, it looked like a cartoon snake.

Jessie's paint spill mailbox was a fun optical illusion. I agreed with Simon that the paint would have looked more realistic if it hadn't been tube shaped.

Lilly's treehouse mailbox was adorable. I loved all the details - the shingled roof, the tiny calendar, the hot glue gun, the paint roller, etc.

Justine's ship mailbox turned out well. It looked well made

Floyd's exploding boom box with blue flames was unique and fun. Hee, bonus for including a shredder.

Ashley's pink pickup truck mailbox was so sweet.

Yay for Lilly winning this week!

I'm disappointed that Jamie is going home because I feel like he had the potential to do so much more, but what he made this just fell short.

Ha, I love that Mark the robot is still peeking out behind trees.

9 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

All of the makers are sweet, talented and likeable.  It does remind me of the chemistry on Great British Bake Off.  It's a joy to watch, and I do feel bad when a maker gets get, just like on GBBO. 

Ashley's dog house was beautiful, but per the judges, not enough pizzazz, and no wow factor (other than being incredibly clean and well designed).  I just think her esthetic is clean and simple, and not kitschy enough for Etsy lady and Doonan.  

I have a question about Jessie's art medium...if she uses food for paint & sculpting, does that mean her projects have a shelf life?  They can't be permanent, can they?  Wouldn't mustard/ketchup/chocolate start to mold or stink after a while?  Or maybe she shellacs or puts poly on her pieces to "seal" them? 

Eagan is breaking my heart every episode!  What a sweet kid!  If he doesn't win this thing, I hope at least he gets an offer from a set designer or costume department.  He has talent and such big dreams for himself and his family.

6 hours ago, 2727 said:

I swear, I do not understand the judges' choices! Forced perspective or not, the winning dog house was the most boring of the bunch to me, and that includes the one the judges thought was too modern/simple. I think Simon just lets the horrible Etsy lady and her bad taste make all the decisions.

Eagan may want to work in set design but he's too enmeshed with his family to leave home. Hopefully when he's a few years older he develops some perspective and maybe even realizes he and his mother aren't the same person. He could also stand to mention his father once in a while; there was one in his family photos.

5 hours ago, leighdear said:

Swimming against the tide here like Eliza422, but Eagan annoys me.  I really don't need an anti-bullying PSA every episode.   He just gives off the whiff of special-snowflake-syndrome to me.  Yes he's young, but does he work at some kind of job?  19 years old, no HS diploma & living with mom & dad needs to be at least working part-time.  And those embroidered shirts are too twee. 

I'm rooting for Jessie to take the whole thing.  I love her visions. 

Nick Offerman is looking VERY attractive this season.  More so than last.  I think it's the shorter hair & more salt & pepper in the facial scruff.  Lucky Megan Mullally!

Nick and his wife are one of the sexiest couples in Hollywood.

I love Nick and Amy but feel like they are trying too hard with the skits. They are just not needed in a show that is naturally so adorable.

I have gone from being impressed by Eagan to being a little concerned about his well being. I was shocked at how basic his robot costume was when making amazing costumes with unconventional materials is his specialty. I think he did not like working with someone else, even though his partner seemed really cool.

He seemed to be in tears about his siblings growing up which was  also a little concerning.

Loved the sushi and piñata costume.

I also was befuddled on why the extension cord flower did not win the small challenge of the previous episode.

I’m beginning to think the winning design is determined by what will sell on Etsy.

This show returning for two weeks straight is like someone gave me an early Christmas present. I just wish it was on a little earlier.

• Love 4

I love Amy, but I was a bit upset at the whole "hug me" thing with Jessica (??? I'm terrible with names). Personal space is a real thing, and even if there's absolutely nothing sexual in it, "forcing" (even if in a joking way) someone to hug you is not cool.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Ah, call me an old cynic. I can't stand all of Eagan's sob stories. I get it, he's had it rough blah blah blah...I'm sick of it. He has some talent, sure, but can we get through one episode without rambling on about all the brats in his house?

And another rant - does everything have to be connected to some damn personal story? It reminds me of a lot of the Food Network baking shows I watch where every frickin' cake you bake has to tie to your family nigh unto the 10th generation back.

Sometimes a cake is just a cake - and sometimes a garishly decorated mailbox is just an affront to the senses.

Etsy lady is just as annoying this season as last. 

I knit, crochet, and am looking into weaving and quilting next - but I never call myself a "maker". I can't stand that term and I've bitched about it to various friends of mine. But I'll save that for another time.

I'll slink back to my hermit's cottage now...

I have a problem with using the verb make without a direct object, as in "I'm going to go make." That's an old euphemism for using the bathroom.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I thought the hug girl looked just like Rashida Jones, Amy's BFF co-star from "Parks & Recreation".  Maybe Amy was flashing back to those days.  And I loved when Amy talked about having a hypoallergenic, potty trained mini horse as a pet.  Little Sebastian, anybody?

The way Eagan was talking about his mom adding more kids to the family was just creepy.  There's something not right about that kid.  And those robot costumes were ridiculously basic and shabby looking to me.  

And I definitely loved the sushi costume, good on the judges for making the right choice on that one. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Nick and Amy are really getting annoying.  I don’t think they did this as much last season?

They did puns every episode, but now I see they have to do a bit every week to advertise yet another crafting app.

• Love 3

I love the concept of this show and I truly want to love the show itself but the Nick and Amy overload has become very annoying.  I don't mind Nick but Amy and her attention-seeking and her scripted "funny" comments are why I don't watch sitcoms.  I'd much rather see more of what the crafters are doing.  

I went from thinking Eagan was a dear in the first episode to hoping they'd send him home at the end of the third.  There's something off about a young man his age in tears because his siblings are growing up.  He talks quite openly about being different which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's a bit odd for his age group.

I was very surprised that they eliminated the guy who made the Chinese dragon.  It looked really good to me.  I was hoping they'd choose the woman who made the solid red decoration which I hated, sappy messages and all.  I suppose they didn't want to send her packing after all the love notes and group hugging.  Yecch.  

My favorite was the eagle so I was happy that it won.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, mlp said:

I love the concept of this show and I truly want to love the show itself but the Nick and Amy overload has become very annoying.  I don't mind Nick but Amy and her attention-seeking and her scripted "funny" comments are why I don't watch sitcoms.  I'd much rather see more of what the crafters are doing.  

I went from thinking Eagan was a dear in the first episode to hoping they'd send him home at the end of the third.  There's something off about a young man his age in tears because his siblings are growing up.  He talks quite openly about being different which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's a bit odd for his age group.

I was very surprised that they eliminated the guy who made the Chinese dragon.  It looked really good to me.  I was hoping they'd choose the woman who made the solid red decoration which I hated, sappy messages and all.  I suppose they didn't want to send her packing after all the love notes and group hugging.  Yecch.  

My favorite was the eagle so I was happy that it won.

Yes they are just kind of ruining what was a great show.  I still feel like the reveals are so rushed that I can't take it all in.  They rush so much of the show, and then spend so much time with the "funny" segments, that I am not liking the show nearly as much this round.  Plus the fact that they are having the episodes all together all week long also makes it too much.  I feel like I can't really get into the new episode because I just saw one.  I guess this means they can cancel the show and I won't mind?  lol

• Love 5

I hate that I'm holding a 19 year old to my own adult standard of self-awareness. But it’s to the point that we need a drinking game for every time Eagan says the word “bully.” He’s actually talented. It’s going to be so over the top reality TV when he’s sent home though. I hope he’s inspired to go to college and join the theatre department. 

• Love 6

Rebecca's Easter/Passover wreath was interesting as an abstract wall hanging, but I didn't really like it as a wreath.

Floyd's steel wreath was a little too simple for me. I liked Nick's idea of reversible magnets in theory but he only showed the bat/holly one. Were all of the other magnets reversible?

Jessie's doll leg wreath sounded like it had the potential to be creepy but keeping all the colorful shoes on made it seem more whimsical/quirky. I loved that Nick cringed at the sound of Jessie popping each leg off.

Matt's wreath made of aloha shirt flowers was very unique, partly because of the fabrics and partly because of the geometric shape he created.

Eagan's paint chip wreath was a fun idea for recycling all of those colorful pieces of paper. I totally cracked up when he said that fall is his favorite season because it's not too hot and not too cold. It reminded me of Miss Congeniality: "I'd have to say April 25. Because it's not too hot, not too cold. All you need is a light jacket."

Lilly's noche buena wreath was cute and very personal.

Justine's saw blade wreath was really colorful. It was a cool way to reuse construction stuff.

The lawn displays were a nice contrast from the small wreaths in the first challenge.

Jessie's Valentine's Day boat was too much red for me (and I say this as someone who LOVES red). It was just one big blob of red. I liked the boat though. The flannel sails were a cute personal touch.

Eagan's Groundhog Day display was interesting in theory, partly because he chose a less conventional holiday, but the way he painted the groundhog made it look a little creepy.

Matt's Chinese new year dragon was very striking from a distance. I loved the contrasting red, yellow, and green. The judges' complaint about how interactive the dragon was annoyed me because at least he tried to make it more interactive than "come take a picture in front of this thing in my yard." His was actually the most interactive.

Floyd's Fourth of July eagle was pretty impressive. 'Murrica!

Lilly's Easter vegetable garden was cute. I like seeing what she can create with balloons. I thought Simon's criticism of how interactive her display would be to the neighbors was lame because the same could be said about ALL of the displays that were made. Unless you put up a sign that says, "COME TAKE CANDY/PHOTOS," most people are polite enough not to run onto your lawn.

Rebecca's first day of summer photo booth was rally fun. I loved how she twisted and curved the pool noodles to create waves. I've used that foam before (for practical purposes, not for art) so it was cool to see her create coral with it.

Justine's spooky Halloween tree was an interesting idea but I felt like it ended up looking a bit boring from a distance. Some of the techniques she used looked good up close (like the leaves) but overall it doesn't look like something that would entice a person walking by to come closer.

I'm disappointed that Matt was eliminated. I liked seeing what he came up with in each episode.

• Love 3

I worry about Eagan.  His story reminds me more and more of an old episode I saw once of Supernanny (or possibly Wife Swap or Dr Phil) where the mother insisted her two oldest daughters be home schooled so they could take care of all the other children.  Eagan's mother has eight children and wants more.  Eagan talks about babysitting them all the time.  He is sad because they are growing up because he wishes he could be a kid longer.  It sounds like he never got a chance to be a kid, or relate to his peers as a kid, because he was the parent.  I hope he didn't drop out of high school to take care of his siblings.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, nightowl said:

I worry about Eagan.  His story reminds me more and more of an old episode I saw once of Supernanny (or possibly Wife Swap or Dr Phil) where the mother insisted her two oldest daughters be home schooled so they could take care of all the other children.  Eagan's mother has eight children and wants more.  Eagan talks about babysitting them all the time.  He is sad because they are growing up because he wishes he could be a kid longer.  It sounds like he never got a chance to be a kid, or relate to his peers as a kid, because he was the parent.  I hope he didn't drop out of high school to take care of his siblings.

I think you have a good point.  And I honestly really hate when people are addicted to having kids and then use their current kids as an excuse as to why it is okay (that they can babysit, etc).  It isn't like the olden days on the farm where they would try to have several boys so that they could have free farm hands.  I mean, how many kids do people need?  And if your kids have to do most of the work and can't have their own life, what good did you do?  sorry, not trying to sound mean, but it does annoy me how cavalier people can be about having kids...

• Love 8

I couldn't believe that the judges sent Matt home! I thought his dragon was one of the best designs done. I would have sent Eagan or Jesse's too red Valentine display. Neither one of them were that great. What are these judges thinking of?

Floyd's Eagle was Wonderful!!!!!

• Love 8

For someone who hasn't worked with felt before I thought Matt's Dragon was glorious. The red boat/wave could have been kicked. Lot of work but not much interaction. Shrug. I guess I don't get judging. I thought the garden woman Lilly might get the boot, too.

• Love 8

I almost wasn't going to post about Eagan (sp?) when I saw the early comments, but I was getting really creeped out by him. too. And I agree that women who have to keep having kids because they "love" kids are more like hoarders than parents. Gives off a whiff of the Duggar vibe.

Etsy lady didn't watch any of the shows from last season did she? Or is that how she likes to present herself???

• Love 4
8 hours ago, nightowl said:

He kind of reminded me of Michael Jackson. I’m not talking about pedophile stuff but the way MJ claimed that not having a childhood made him want to be a child well into his adult years.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, Brookside said:

I don't have a creative bone in my body, but I really enjoy this show.  I love how generous and supportive towards each other the contestants are.  It reminds me of Great British Bake Off.

They're definitely riffing on the Great British Bake Off vibe with the overhead shots of the property, and the shed. 

On 12/3/2019 at 5:21 AM, alexa said:

I liked it, but I feel like they are rushing it a bit, and instead of showing more of the contestants, they keep going back to the hosts to do some funny bit very frequently.  It is okay once in a while, but I find it distracting and would like to see more of the contestants and what they are doing. 

Me too. 

8 hours ago, nightowl said:

He said he dropped out because of bullying, but I agree with everything else you said. I hope he gets to go away and do what he wants, though I imagine that set decoration is something hard to get into. 

I had no idea this was back; thank goodness for Tivo which just picked it up for me. The Christmas music under some of the episodes doesn't make it any less odd that they are showing it now. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, carrps said:

t I was getting really creeped out by him. too. And I agree that women who have to keep having kids because they "love" kids are more like hoarders than parents. Gives off a whiff of the Duggar vibe.

At least some of his siblings are adopted.

• Love 4

I binged the episodes today. 

So many talented people. The stuff the balloon lady does is amazing. Eagen also impresses me. I loved his movie projector mailbox.

The eagle was fantastic. That was the first win I agreed with.

Can't stand Etsy lady. I think she's even more annoying this season than last. I don't recall her talking so much about Etsy last time either.

I love seeing how the crafters work, but I also enjoy Amy and Nick in their scripted segments. 

Like others here, I'm getting tired of Eagen bringing up being bullied. I understand how significant that has been in his life, but I don't want to hear about it so frequently on a crafting competition show.

I think Justine is my favorite one. I love her sense of humor. Awesome.

As far as my favorite crafter... I'm not sure. 

• Love 7

I’m really loving Justine and Floyd this season. I adore Nick and Amy, and I’m a sucker for the Offerman giggle, so I don’t mind the goofy little pun-offs. I’m less fond of attempts to make Floyd produce “cute” results. (Khiem won without a “cute” aesthetic.) 

This show makes me very happy, so it’s a bit sad that NBC is clearly just trying to burn off the episodes and then cancel it, but I suppose I should be grateful for a second season at all. 

• Love 10
On 12/5/2019 at 2:31 PM, ketose said:

I have a problem with using the verb make without a direct object, as in "I'm going to go make." That's an old euphemism for using the bathroom.

I cringe every time they say it.

Also, I love Amy Poehler, but the dungarees are a crime against humanity.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

This show makes me very happy, so it’s a bit sad that NBC is clearly just trying to burn off the episodes and then cancel it, but I suppose I should be grateful for a second season at all. 

I am hoping that NBC has decided to keep this show as a holiday treat. They did the same with the first two, and then fourth, seasons of The Sing-Off, and it worked really well as that holiday show. (The third season, they tried to make it a full fall show, but the ratings tanked. The only good thing that came from the extended run was that the season’s winner Pentatonix was able to develop their sound over the course of the show and capitalized on it.)

• Love 4

I love this show, I’m a fanatic knitter.....but I think it could be a half hour if they cut out the fluff. I really hate “make” as a verb as well as “makers”. It’s just really awkward. What would have been wrong with craft and crafters? 

I really like the contestants. I love Nick but Amy is a little frantic. 

• Love 6