Type keyword(s) to search

Making It - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Billy's shed had a function, as they asked.  Amber didn't.  "Tacky Grandma's House" is not a function.  I think she should have gone home.  

And that bar was about the actual size of lots of bars I've been in on Bourbon Street!  His was on point. 

Honestly, I don't really like any of these people much.  I really can't stand Kheim.  He's so low-energy, he comes off as a stoner to me.  Amber & Jo just mesh together for me.  I have to just not pay any attention to the individuals.  

I think they've already decided that Kheim is the winner. 

• Love 1

This probably says more about me as a woman and what I've been conditioned to believe is acceptable to ask for, but...it seemed like Khiem was asking for A LOT with the roof project. Like, they had to bring heavy equipment on site to lift the roof. The contractor/construction assistant guy did act a little taken aback when Khiem asked him to do the roof splitting/sliding open project. He was like, "You want what now??" in his expression and words but not exactly.

I don't think we've seen the extent of Jo's talent level just because she's an interior designer. In that regard, then, I think we saw more of her potential with her shed, but it still looked a little chintzy. The scotch tape on those brads on the ceiling...why did she not use hot glue?

Her Etsy store is...not good. It's stuff I could make (painted/decorated letters/phrases to hang on the wall), and I'm only craft-adjacent.

I have no idea what Amber actually does; her bio on the Making It site says she's a blogger who "shares creative content". OK?

• Love 2

I wasn't paying full attention.  Why Kheim allowed to have a carpenter help him with his shed?   Was this an option for everyone and they just didn't take it?   There have been any other professional helpers so him popping up was weird. 

I do like this show a lot and for the most part I find the makers talented and personable. I do think Khiem is at the forefront to win with Amber a close second, I wasn't blown over by Khiem's shed and Billy's looked clutter. I do give Jo a lot of credit for all the painting of the wood herringbone. And I liked Amber's retro/vintage inspired shed, especially the retro phone and her hula hoop shelving was quite clever. And I have to give a shout out to the makers for being such decent people considering so many people on reality shows act like total shits.

Amy and Nick have amazing chemistry and are such fun. They really seem to be enjoying themselves. I'm glad Making It will be back for another season.

As for the judges...I don't mind  Simon. He's very well known and respected for his window designs and just seems like a hoot to hang out with, I used to work in retail and I did a lot of window and in-store displays. My work wasn't quite on Simon's level, but then again I didn't have his budget.

I'm less pleased with the Etsy judge. But then again, I've never been a fan of "trendcasters." Just let people do what they want, none of this "on point," "on trend" business. Trends change on a dime. Dayna is pretty useless.

And yes, to Amy Sedaris as a judge. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Even though it didn’t function well as a lamp, I liked Billy’s parrot as a piece of 3-D art. It was lovely and imaginative.

Well, I thought it was lovely and out of the box creative. They were looking and judging it from the wrong angle. It was a down light. What if it was over your pool table? Or maybe a few. I would love a trio of them hovering over my pool table. How about over your breakfast table? That perspective would have been different I think.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, AntAnn said:

Well, I thought it was lovely and out of the box creative. They were looking and judging it from the wrong angle. It was a down light. What if it was over your pool table? Or maybe a few. I would love a trio of them hovering over my pool table. How about over your breakfast table? That perspective would have been different I think.

It didn’t look as if it projected much downward light, hence my comment. Still beautiful as 3-D art.

• Love 2

I liked Billy’s shed. However, he deserved to go on cumulative judging. I love a good lathe. I’ve always wanted to be able to make things out of wood.  Khiem’s lamp was my favorite if you ditched the leaves but I still can’t forgive the turtle shell from the first challenge. I really don’t care who wins. I just want to hang out with Nick and have him show me how to do wood inlay for a tabletop and then let Khiem use his lathe to make me some legs and I will have a beautiful new dining room table.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I just want to hang out with Nick and have him show me how to do wood inlay for a tabletop and then let Khiem use his lathe to make me some legs and I will have a beautiful new dining room table.

That is a show I would watch the hell out of. Have Nick teach Amy how to make stuff with wood. I would like Khiem to win just because he is the only one I consider actually talented. The other two are just every single person on Pinterest. But I really don't care who wins. Unlike GBBO, I have no interest in the competition aspect of this show. The competitors just haven't charmed me the way GBBO bakers have. 

I do appreciate them trying to emulate the fun, easy camaraderie, but it still feels forced here. I almost wish they'd stop trying and just do their thing. 

• Love 5

I think I've figured out what bugs me about the competition format on this show. There's not a good reasonably standard definition as to what makes a good "crafter" - as opposed to, for example, a baker (as in GBBO) or fashion designer (as in Project Runway). Yes, bakers and fashion designers have their strengths and weaknesses, but any good baker should be able to make a standard repertoire of breads, pastries, desserts, and so on. Similarly, a fashion designer may choose to specialize in, say, women's wedding dresses, but anyone with good training and creativity should also be able to make a suit. 

"Crafting" is just too large a category, covering everything from making tiny stud earrings to painting giant wall murals, from wood working to making party decorations. Also it's not always clear what the standard is meant to be - are they supposed to be producing something that could justifiably be sold for money? To just make the neighbor's kids happy? I think I'd prefer the show more if they took advantage of Nick Offerman's expertise in woodworking, and had a show focused on that. 

• Love 13

I think this show is adorable.  Easy to watch and low-key, which is a nice change from more intense shows.  (I love those too, but it's nice to have this also.)  :-)

The weak link for me is the Etsy lady.  It's tiring week after week hearing her say, "I wish you had..........".  No, Etsy lady, that's not what creativity is about!   It's about what they've done with the assignment, what they've created, their own interpretation.  Perhaps you don't like it.  Perhaps you would have done it differently.  But it's entirely possible to judge and make helpful suggestions without coming across the way she does, as though her specific way is the best way.  If she's so intent on telling us exactly what she would have done, then perhaps she should be a contestant rather than a judge.   I'm just not impressed with her overall.  Her personality doesn't fit in with the others, so I'm hoping she's a one and done.   If there's another season and they need an Etsy tie-in, I'm sure Etsy can come up with someone else.  

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 17
22 minutes ago, EllenB said:

Hmm, wedding couple like nature & neutrals and minimalism. How's that going to go over with Ms. Etsy with her preference for gaudy and over-decorated?

"Can you add glitter or metallics to that pretty, clean design?"

Shut up, Dayna.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Shut up, Dayna.

Those hanging white cones looked like grade school Christmas ornaments with the gold blobs added.

All the wedding arches looked too narrow.  Hope the bride has a slim-fit gown rather than one with a full skirt.

Edited by EllenB
Typo
  • Love 7

Khiem! I thought for sure that Amber was getting the winner's edit all season, and, while I liked both her and Jo, a lot of Khiem's work was just, well, art. I'm so happy for him, and it was sweet to see Amanda. A well-deserved win. 

Nick's gripe about Amber's puzzle being too easy to solve slayed me.

I'll be eagerly awaiting season 2. 

• Love 23
11 minutes ago, EllenB said:

Those hanging white cones looked like grade school Christmas ornaments with the gold blobs added.

All the wedding arches looked too narrow.  Hope the bride has a slim-fit gown rather than one with a full skirt.

Yes, I thought the cones looked pretty bad, but I was afraid that Jo was going to win after winning the first challenge.

I don't know what happened to Amber. I was rooting for Khiem, but I thought it was going to be close between her and Khiem. Her wedding topper didn't look nice at all though, imo, and then her final projects were pretty simple compared to what Khiem and Jo both did. 

Looking forward to next season but agree with many here that I hope Dayna is one and done.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, EllenB said:
20 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Shut up, Dayna.

I actually kind of agreed the cones needed something to make them stand out a bit more - but it could also have just been the white against white- but I thought she should have just painted a the edges gold, not put random blobs of gold leaf on them. 

Definitely like Khiem's arch the best, Amber's second, and Jo's third, but they all looked nice.  I think Khiem also had the best gift - Amber's puzzle was cute but didn't scream made by a master crafter to me and in some shots it looked a bit rough.  Jo's coop was cute, but I hate the idea of gifting a couple something that one half of the couple doesn't want in hopes that the other one can badger them into going along with something.  Wasn't sure about the record player and speaker inside the hope chest, but I suppose it showed some more creativity than just giving them a chest.

I really liked Jo's cake topper.  I figured it was down to Jo or Khiem after Amber's rather random God's eye cake topper.  I have some sentimental attachment to God's eyes - made them a lot as a kid- but that did not look like a wedding cake topper at all to me.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, EllenB said:

I thought exactly the same thing.  The gold made them look cheap - and homemade, but not in a good way.   They were fine the way she initially did them. 

(I think it must be kind of weird for them to have a plan, and then have a judge make a "suggestion".  They must feel more or less compelled to go along with it no matter how much they love or hate the idea.  I think judges should judge, and/or be vague prior to judging rather than be so specific.  It's supposed to be about what the makers come up with, and I don't like seeing a judge have so much influence.)

• Love 8

Khiem won! Yay!

I thought Jo's cake topper was really blah, and am not sure what Amber was thinking with that tasseled (tasselled?) cake topper.

I really liked Amber's wedding arch. Nice and simple and classic. Jo's looked like she raided Michael's silk flower aisle. Plus those hanging Kleenex.....

I had to help my dad go grocery shopping the other day due to minor health issues and we went down the aisle that had all the air fresheners and my dad pointed at one and said "Mahogany Breeze. I thought mahogany was Spanish for no scent". And he didn't even like the episode! 

• Love 9

I liked this show, but not quite as much as I thought I would. I enjoy hanging out with Amy and Nick, but the competition itself wasn't quite the GBBO-analogue I was expecting it to be. I found myself zoning out a lot when the focus was on the competition. Perhaps I just have a stronger personal affection for food. :)

Will probably still watch S2 whenever that happens.

• Love 6
On 9/3/2018 at 10:05 AM, ombelico said:

I think I've figured out what bugs me about the competition format on this show. There's not a good reasonably standard definition as to what makes a good "crafter" - as opposed to, for example, a baker (as in GBBO) or fashion designer (as in Project Runway). Yes, bakers and fashion designers have their strengths and weaknesses, but any good baker should be able to make a standard repertoire of breads, pastries, desserts, and so on. Similarly, a fashion designer may choose to specialize in, say, women's wedding dresses, but anyone with good training and creativity should also be able to make a suit. 

"Crafting" is just too large a category, covering everything from making tiny stud earrings to painting giant wall murals, from wood working to making party decorations. Also it's not always clear what the standard is meant to be - are they supposed to be producing something that could justifiably be sold for money? To just make the neighbor's kids happy? I think I'd prefer the show more if they took advantage of Nick Offerman's expertise in woodworking, and had a show focused on that. 

Excellent point. Crafting covers so many genres and I was hoping Making It would showcase crafters who work on a much smaller scale. I make my own bath soap and other bath and beauty products. I design my own jewelry using beads from all kinds of sources as well as vintage pieces. I make my own wrapping paper and am now exploring making my own stationery and greeting cards. Yet, Making It wouldn't welcome a crafter like me from what I saw this first season. And Etsy lady would probably get on my case for not being on trend. 

Next year I hope Making It brings on well-known crafters to mentor the makers, people like Cathy Cano Murillo, Danny Seo, Jenny Hart and so on.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, mertensia said:

I thought Jo's cake topper was really blah, and am not sure what Amber was thinking with that tasseled (tasselled?) cake topper.

I think Amber was thinking about Dayna's penchant for ticky-tacky earrings and her love of all things "ON TREND!!" i.e.- tassels.  The God's Eye looked like a crude tribal figure with ticky-tacky trendy tassel earrings.  Amber made that topper for Dayna, not the wedding couple.  

Of the 3 cake toppers, I liked Jo's the best, then Khiem's.   I liked the puzzle gift, but I did not like Amber's arch at all.  However, I really loved Amber's TH when she said if she'd won, of course she'd be happy, and if one of the other 2 won...of course she'd be happy!  Looking forward to the next season!

• Love 6

Very enjoyable finale. No one annoyed me, neither judge nor contestant, and the wedding ending was perfectly sweet. I saw pluses and minuses in all the craft work and truly didn't care who won. For me, it was never about a winner. I just wanted to watch and admire people doing what I have no talent or skill to do. And I especially wanted to listen to the adorable banter between the two hosts. One suggestion: get it on earlier than 10 pm EST.  Imagine I will yearn for a rancor-less barn in the countryside frequently in the months ahead. Hurry with season 2!

• Love 11

I was so happy to see Khiem win, and you could tell they were glad he did too--he definitely had the best end product, and he really put thought into his work which was sweet.  Amber was lacking quite a bit this episode.  Jo was okay, but I think they both knew Khiem had it after seeing his altar.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Nick's gripe about Amber's puzzle being too easy to solve slayed me.

Megan Mullally (Nick's wife) was featured in the latest season of Who Do You Think You Are.  There was a scene shot in their home and there was a partially completed jigsaw puzzle in the background.  I remember thinking what a cute couple they must be to work on puzzles together.  So when Nick said that about Amber's puzzle I knew he was a man who actually worked on them.

• Love 8

So happy for Khiem.  Amber didn’t even make the puzzle....her helper did. She just decided how to decorate it. Same with her arch...she decorated with flowers (yawn).  If they’re going to have helpers, then they should be secondary and supportive....not create the bulk of the project. That being said, it was a pleasant show to watch...but just to hard to get a grip on “crafters/makers” and how to create a level playing field.  The hosts were great...Etsy lady....not so much. But so nice to see everyone enjoying themselves! 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, bioprof said:

But so nice to see everyone enjoying themselves!

In my mind: everyone put on overalls, moved in with Amy, and lived happily ever after.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 13
47 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

Megan Mullally (Nick's wife) was featured in the latest season of Who Do You Think You Are.  There was a scene shot in their home and there was a partially completed jigsaw puzzle in the background.  I remember thinking what a cute couple they must be to work on puzzles together.  So when Nick said that about Amber's puzzle I knew he was a man who actually worked on them.

Yeah Meghan and Nick’s IG are filled with pics of him doing puzzles.

• Love 5

Really enjoyed the show. Light, fun, no invented drama, people helping each other and being constructive. Agree that Etsy lady has little creative eye, but since Etsy is a sponsor I guess we're stuck with her.

I knew Khiem would win, even when his designs were plain he put a lot of effort in. I didn't love his arch, but his hope chest/stereo gift was more labor intensive than a stupid puzzle. Liked Jo's chicken coop but her arch could have had more going for it.

Do they get the assignments ahead of time and come to the show with ideas already thought out? For some, who happened to have family photos, pillowcases etc, that seemed the case. Also wonder about supplies, if there are limited amounts of things that could create a run on rosemary for instance.

• Love 4

I thought Dayna--aka, the Etsy lady--was completely hypocritical in her review of Khiem's cake topper.  She woefully mentioned (paraphrasing) that she'd already seen numerous peg doll items on Etsy already, like that was a bad thing.  Normally when something is plentiful on Etsy, Dayna would have raved that his wooden peg family was "on trend," which would have been a good thing.  Then she gushed that Jo's cake topper included the couple's two girls and the  joining of the families as a positive element.  But that aspect of  Khiem's cake topper was completely ignored.  His creation had the same married couple, two girls--and dog to boot!--but Dayna didn't mention that at all in her judging of Khiem's project.  

Hoping for more consistent critiques next season.

At first, I couldn't stand the banter between Amy and Nick.  Now it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the show.  They have really relaxed into their roles.   I'm looking forward to a new season; warts and all.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, bioprof said:

So happy for Khiem.  Amber didn’t even make the puzzle....her helper did. She just decided how to decorate it. Same with her arch...she decorated with flowers (yawn).  If they’re going to have helpers, then they should be secondary and supportive....not create the bulk of the project. That being said, it was a pleasant show to watch...but just to hard to get a grip on “crafters/makers” and how to create a level playing field.  The hosts were great...Etsy lady....not so much. But so nice to see everyone enjoying themselves! 

I'm happy for Khiem.  He was the strongest throughout the season.

Amber designed the puzzle.  Throughout the season, the crafters have designed things and then the carpenters have helped them create them.  Khiem took advantage of the carpenters as much as anyone else.  I thought the puzzle was a much better present than the hope chest.  I don't understand the point of having a record player (does anyone still have records?) and speaker contained in a chest. To show that you can do it?

If I was being asked to make something for a couple's wedding, I think I would ask about their color scheme.  

• Love 4

I don't understand the point of having a record player (does anyone still have records?) and speaker contained in a chest.

Me! You know, just a few hundred of them. Vinyl records are actually still quite popular, and very collectible. Of the three gifts I would absolutely have chosen the hope chest record player.

• Love 9

I don't understand how one can use Khiem's chest for storing anything* when there's a turntable and speakers and wiring for both in it. He really made a record console, not a hope chest.

I didn't mind his peg people on his cake topper, but the paint was sloppy. His archway was impressive, but I can't help but feel he had to have had a lot of help on it. It was huge and intricate. I wish they'd have set the archway against a white backdrop or an open barn door because it was hard to see all the elements when the wedding was staged in the dark barn.

I loved Jo's cake topper. I liked her archway probably the best. The gold was not good, though. The cones looked like calla lillies without the gold, and they were lovely. Maybe if she'd used white string lights with a cone around each light, the look would be a bit more dramatic. I don't know.

While her "cake topper" (god's eye I made in bible camp with yarn and Q-tips) was atrocious, I liked Amber's arch (arc). It appealed to my minimalistic taste. I liked her puzzle, too. It was perfectly simplistic. I think the judges have tended to want more rather than good/well done.

*Things one would normally store in a hope chest like heirloom quilts, wedding keepsakes, baby's christening gown, etc.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

I would prefer it if the actual challenge subjects weren't revealed to the contestants beforehand but were a surprise. Stock the barn with tons of supplies, tell them the challenge, give them so much time and let them go. That will really show how creative a person is on the fly. Most people can be somewhat creative or more if they have a week to research, practice, look for ideas, etc. And I'd eliminate the helper. Everything needs to be done by the crafter. If that means smaller scale challenges, so be it. To me that's crafting.

• Love 9

Etsy woman makes me want to avoid Etsy like the plague. 

Jo's topper was cheap looking. Khiem's was a bit messy, Amber's was generic. Not impressed at all. (I freaking hate naked cakes, so that might have affected my opinion on the toppers. Maybe they'd look better on an a cake that is actually neatly frosted and nice looking, but I doubt it.)

Also, I'm sure they are a very lovely couple but what is so freaking unique and special about their love story Etsy? Single mothers fall in love with men who will become step dads all the time, they even have children with these men, and can actually have families from the same place. WTF was she talking about? and now does four little wire figures represent that uniqueness? That could have been any family of four. GRRRRR I just hate that woman more and more each episode. She's useless)

Amber's arch looks like crap. It doesn't even look completed. There was a big bare spot. WTF? I did like her puzzle. It was sweet. Jo's was dull. They do look like prom photo arches. lol The chicken coop....yeah, no. It was supposed to be for them both, not just for the bride to force the groom into chicken ownership. Khiem's arch is stunning. It is very modern looking but also very natural, but it is not for everyone. I LOVED it. His gift would be amazing for an audiophile. It looks so well made. 

I think the biggest flaw of the show (beyond Etsy Woman) is that it didn't know if it wanted crafters (Jo and Amber) or builders (Khiem). The two really shouldn't go head to head. There is no way Khiem should have been in the same competition as Jo and Amber. His skillset is totally different than theirs. I think they need two shows, a craft show and a maker/builder show. 

I am thrilled that Khiem won though, since I lean far more towards the builder/maker/woodworker side than the glitter, paper cutting, Etsy side. 

• Love 13

Glad that Khiem won! Even though everyone was really good, I always loved his work. It was quirky, while also very well built and creative. 

I really enjoyed this show, it was so cheerful and fun. Loved Amy and Nick and their banter, seeing people create things, and the general good vibes. Its just nice to see people having fun and doing things that they clearly enjoy. It was also really nice that all the former contestants came back for the wedding to see the ending. 

I hope that for next season, they get an earlier time slot. This is a great show for family viewing, and they could all watch it together earlier! Yea season two!

• Love 9

Jo's cake topper was the first time I though she deserved a patch she won, so good on her. But she was never going to win (I thought she should have gone at least 2 episodes ago). Khiem deserved the win. He had the best combination of skill and creativity. I was already familiar with Amber from her social media. She reps for Jo Ann fabric so there's a lot of "crafting" with ready-made materials. It's definitely the Amber aesthetic.

I love that Making It didn't resort to all the competition show cliches like the home visits. I'm glad we didn't have to sit through meeting all the families. Simon Doonan was so great because you could tell when he didn't like something. Dayna I could take or leave. I want to pack up my Cricut and bin of yarn and move in with Amy and Nick.

• Love 7

I just wished they had made the ground rules more clear. Such as on the "use nature materials" one, they clearly didn't go out in the yard around the barn and find snake plants, fig leaves (or whatever they were), etc. Khiem was CLEARLY pulling leaves off of a potted plant!  Jo put a couple of acorn caps on her lamp and that qualifies? Khiem said the "wood" he lathed was one of his natural materials? (He works with wood as a living). Khiem obviously knew about the shed challenge because he brought along a telescope. I'd much rather an "unconventional challenge" a la Project Runway where they scrounge for material in some limited time and USE ONLY THAT STUFF.  But none of this was explained at all.

• Love 6

I absolutely adored this show, in particular the hosts and the format -- mostly all the positive vibes flowing all over everything.  Watching the creativity was fascinating and inspiring.  

So very happy it will return.  My only turn off was Ms. Etsy.  Art and creativity is free flowing and LEADS the way, no need to follow trends.

• Love 5

A season-ending quiz! There's only one question, but it's a doozy of a headscratcher.

You're a maker who has made...um, something that makers make. Dayna says that she's "seen this before." Does that mean that:

a. It's a too conventional and even clichéd?

b. It's ON TREND?

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

A season-ending quiz! There's only one question, but it's a doozy of a headscratcher.

You're a maker who has made...um, something that makers make. Dayna says that she's "seen this before." Does that mean that:

b. It's ON TREND?

Oooh, I love quizzes. Um, let me see...I think it depends on if you are an arts and craftsy type blogger, in which case, totally on trend, or a highly skilled woodworker who has probably never made anything with glitter and a glue gun, in which case, totally clichéd. I think Etsy favorite the more craftsy ladies. Not sure she knew what to make of Khiem since I don't think she deals with the furniture and woodworking part of Etsy, if it has one. I think she's more the make your own jewelry and cutesy decorations for the home trend lady.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

b. It's ON TREND?

If Dayna likes you it's b, if she doesn't it's a.

• Love 10

Whatever this show is selling, I'm buying. I'm not quite sure they've properly nailed down certain things like challenge criteria or judging criteria, but I don't really care.  It's sweet and gentle and self-aware. And the hosts make puns. I watched the end of the finale with the biggest, goofiest smile on my face, and I am a curmudgeon. This is not a joke, my heart is made of stone when it comes to TV shows. Khiem to me was the clear winner, and of course it always helps when the winner is "correct" in my eyes. Amber and Jo's structures looked like nothing more than arches with stuff from Michael's glommed all over them. 

I like the Barney's guy but echo pretty much every other comment on Etsy lady.  I have faith that Amy and Nick are smart enough EP's to see that she didn't work, and they will fix it before the next run. 

• Love 8